Reviews of Super 8 by Wyndham Yellowknife 3 stars

308 Old Airport Road, X1A 3G3 Yellowknife, Canada

#10 of 16 hotels in Yellowknife

That the front door is loccked every evening at 8pm and only...

The fact that you have to pay two rooms if your a family of 5. There are no rooms that would fit for a faimly of 5.

That the front door is loccked every evening at 8pm and only guest can come in. Very friendly staff.

Good for an overnight.

The window dressing did not have sheer curtains so on the lower level there is no privacy once curtains are open.

Location to stores within walking distance.

the location although there can be some traffic congestion...
    • King Suite

When I first checked in my room was not made up. Thankfully they were able to put me in another room tight away.

the location although there can be some traffic congestion getting to the hotel, it has a Tim Hortons a WalMart and a Marks located in the same area.

Overall, I like my stay at Super 8 in Yellowknife, it was very comfortable.

I didn't like the TV channels, most are boring, hardly any good movies. It was mostly news & news about sports. I like to see more variety of movie channels.

The room is very good, not too cold not too hot. Breakfast was good, good coffee & waffles. Staff was excellent, very helpful.

Barely average

Heat didn't work on first night (-35 Celsius outside). TV also didn't work. Moved us in morning, but no offer of help nor offer of any kind of consideration for our inconvenience. Internet was spotty. Room lighting is poor. Had to forcefully insist on detail printout of my bill at checkout. Breakfast room too small for this size property. Breakfast only average.

Generally rooms were ok and clean

Not nice
    • King Suite

clean the rooms and change the visiting hours

Visiting hours are set at 8:00 pm this is not right. They didn't clean my room 2 days. Staff are kind but the cleanliness is not being done. We had to pay for a visitor. This is rediculous

24 hours coffee at restaurant and spacious and clean rooms with daily cleaning by exceptional staff.

On the night of 21/sept/17 the lady on the night shift(unfortunately we didnt get her name),saved us by calling for a taxi driver she personally knew to go to Cassidy point 30 km away where our rental car broke down to pick us up, This was after midnight as we were looking for the aurora and National car rental tried but could not get any tow trucks or taxis to go there. Moreover we had to catch an early morning flight to Calgary the next day.Please contact the hotel management to give her a payrise or promotion if possible for acting above and beyond her line of responsibility.She would be about 45-50 years old ,white,with curly hair. Please let us know by email if you have managed to contact the hotel management to reward her. TQ

Average place
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

No flexibility to stay extra hour ... or to store cases for later flight...this was disappointing.... Also we were there for 11 days breakfast is the same everyday and poor value....

It was were we needed to be

If I have to return to Yellowknife, its Super8 for me!

This was minor but my shower leaked onto the bathroom floor no matter how I adjusted the curtain or shower head.

The cleanliness was excellent; the free breakfast and help-yourself coffee anytime of day or night was fantastic! I loved that feature! I also liked the location of the hotel; it was very convenient.

The front desk was very helpful to ensure we connected with...

The front desk was very helpful to ensure we connected with our booked tours. The beds were super comfortable-best sleep yet!!! I highly recommend this hotel!

Good Value Choice
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Location quite far away from downtown. Yet as I rented a car for getting around, not an issue for me.

Big, clean, comfortable room with basic, adequate amenities. Breakfast is good.

Good safe place for families.

The outside smoking area is right beside the front door. This meant there were often people smoking g near the entrance.

It is quiet, has on site laundry, and a breakfast is included. It is on the edge of a residential neighborhood, but has a Tim Hortons and WalMart, as well as other shopping close by.The hotel is non smoking!

Loved Yellowknife!

1)We were surprised when we asked for the safe to be opened in our room that there was a $2.00/day charge. We have never had to pay to use a safe in any hotel room we have ever stayed in.

On arrival we were greeted by a very friendly woman who offered a lot of helpful information when she learned it was oyr first trip to Yellowknife. Also the breakfast was very good, the woman looking after the breakfast room was very friendly and helpful.

Super 8 is fine. Booking.com robbed me.

They billed my charge card even though I had already paid you. In essence I was billed twice for the same room. That is just wrong.

Proximity of my room to everything.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Super 8 Yellowknife

Here was nothing that we did not like, but sometimes it would be nice to,have a couple of tables and chairs outside, but I do not think there was any room..

The beds were very comfy, and nice pillows..it was nice to have a fridge microwave, coffee maker and a kettle... We up graded to a suite for an extra $10.00 per night..which was a really good deal..

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

A fair place to stay

The air was not fresh at the time we got in the room. The breakfast lacks of vigitable.

There are many restaurants near by the hotel, Walmart, Mark's and independent are also next to it. It is very convenience

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

Stall and the hotel very good to excellent.

Breakfast mediocre bread, cheap toaster, only boiled eggs, awful selection of muffins. Overall the breakfast was not up to standard, lacking in many areas.

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

Comfortable beds.
    • King Suite

The location for Yellowknife would not be great if you did not have a car. We did so could drive everywhere but you would need to take a taxi to town if you didnt. Breakfast worked for us but nothing interesting and very busy in the morning.

Comfortable beds. The king suite was a bonus having the extra space meaning we could spread out a bit and relax.

• Reviewed: 4 March 2017

Great until the last night, kept awake until 3am by idling tractor trailer unit beside the hotel

There was however one night that was dreadful, the hotel appeared to allow a tractor trailet unit to idle outside the hotel for many hours, it was running at 8pm when we went out and was still running when we came back at midnight and it continued to run until 3am preventing people from sleeping.

The hotel was clean and comfortable, we just wanted somewhere to sleep really, Price was vety good.

• Reviewed: 23 February 2017

Overall poor hotel
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

This is the first time I have ever said anything negative about a hotel. Floor in room was filthy. There was dirt, dust bunnies, jelly beans and candy wrappers underneath the bed. The milk served in the morning at 0615am was Luke warm. Not much variety for breakfast. The fan in the bathroom didn't work and the thermostat was broken.

All of the staff except the older woman who worked the day shift. I asked her if my check out could be an hour later as my flight was going to be delayed. She had no and really didn't care.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

Customer Service Lacking.
    • King Suite

Being woken up every night by Aurora Tour Bus. Room was too hot and could not get a fan because there were none. Took me 2 hrs to check out because they could not verify payment that came off cc even before I checked out. One night auditor thought I was a homeless person while I waited for a cab in the porch. I was very offended.

Nice huge comfy bed.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

It is spacious with a large sitting area.
    • King Suite

It is spacious with a large sitting area. Eating places around. The lake trial is very near. Good breakfast. Very comfortable. I stayed for 5 nights.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

i love Yellowknife
    • King Suite

could have been a welcoming envelope with local information in each of our rooms - i asked for one and staff very obligingly gave it to me but it could have been in our rooms. breakfast choice was a little ordinary

the heat of the room was good staff were friendly and helpful the bed was comfy the room was clean

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

Great hotel if you have a car!

Not at all close to downtown. Buses are every half hour on weekdays, but don't run at all on Sundays. If you are alone Aurora Village won't pick up at Super 8, but they were kind enough to drop me off at 4 a.m. One morning and 2:30 the other. There is a beautiful walking path from across the street along Frame Lake to downtown and beyond, but this is no t doable after dark and takes 40-50 minutes during the day. The roads into the Super 8 are very busy, be careful walking.

Comfy beds and linens, quiet location. Staff is nice..breakfast hearty, fridge large and stores and restaurants close. If you have a car, perfect!

• Reviewed: 1 October 2016

Very basic and pricey accommodations

Bed was soft- very uncomfortable for a 6 night stay. The cost was very high but it seems all of Yellowknife's accommodations are very pricey. The night desk employee never once looked up when we came into the lobby, which is probably why we found a person passed out in our hallway one night.

The day staff were friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

Super 8 is well located, clean and the room we had was excellent.

Tricky getting in to the property. It meant driving through the parking lot of the mall.

The staff were very friendly and accommodating. Junita, one of the staff on the desk was especially helpful

Clean and comfortable; would stay again.
    • King Suite

The front desk staff need to be more attentive and friendly. We walked in and out several times and weren't even acknowledged or spoken to. Just a smile and a hello goes a long way. Trying to get to the hotel parking through Walmart's and Tim Horton's parking lots was a tad nerve wracking.

The king size bed / suite was spacious, clean and comfortable. Enjoyed the breakfasts, although the room was a bit small and warm. Good selection of food though. Would be nice to have some hot items too.

• Reviewed: 10 September 2016

Good Place

breakfast ok but cereals could have been more healthy, location not as good relative to major tourist attractions such as museum, visitor centre, diamond centre, legislative assembly, old town

excellent staff, excellent location relative to services (airport, Walmart, fast food, groceries and more)

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

Great budget hotel in Yellowknife

A little noise from the floor above but not annoying.

Clean room, good size, good A/C. Lots of choices with free continental breakfast. Great value for an expensive town.

Nice room overall.

This hotel is not town down.

Nice room overall.

Clean room close to town and easy to get around.

Clean room close to town and easy to get around.

even turning the thermosat down the room was still very warm

even turning the thermosat down the room was still very warm

staff excellent

over priced

staff excellent

It was fine

It was fine

Overall super 8 is a great place to stay, it isn’t my first time I stayed there.
    • King Suite

I like the hockey tournament I played in

My night away from home

Nothing yet

Close to places I shop

please email copy of receipt

none

everything was good

No heat

No heat

The breakfast is fantastic, however, too tight in the area.

The breakfast is fantastic, however, too tight in the area. there were not enough seats for having breakfast.

is good, all staff is very helpful and nice

A lot people to breakfast, not enough table and seat

is good, all staff is very helpful and nice

They should improve the breakfast services, yellowknife is a...

They should improve the breakfast services, yellowknife is a little so far but also the rates are high

whenever i come my flights leave at six am.

whenever i come my flights leave at six am. breakfast not open at five so i can get something in me before i board

Enjoyable
    • Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

No bacon or sausages yo go with your boiled eggs or waffles.

Location friendly

The free breakfast and air conditioner work well

When they took 300 of my bank without my permission

The free breakfast and air conditioner work well

Excellent experence

No handles in the bathroom for seniors in the bath

They had ground floor rooms for seniors

Bed should have been flipped and rotated

Bed should have been flipped and rotated

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

Enjoyable

Rates are to high

Quite, clean, friendly staff

it could be better if the doors didnt lock so early.
    • King Suite

How digustingly hot it was in the small elevator and single room window.

The service was good.

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

very noisy and small breakfast room.

very noisy and small breakfast room.Room very small.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

Bed was comfortable and the room was clean.
    • King Suite

Bed was comfortable and the room was clean.

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

Loved it 👌

The door locks at 8pm

Basically it was cheap and the workers were amazing

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

I don't like the receptionists attitude
    • King Suite

They have no laggag delivery service

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

That every morning, the lady in the breakfast area offered...
    • King Suite

That every morning, the lady in the breakfast area offered to make you a waffle. (even when you didn't want it.)

• Reviewed: 28 October 2016

Great stay again!!!
    • King Suite

always greeted well and very clean.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

Beautiful Yellowknife

Good breakfast, asked for the quiet side of hotel and was accommodated. Everyone was very nice.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

clean, comfortable, close to airport, right next to tim...

clean, comfortable, close to airport, right next to tim hortons, walmart.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

How close it was to Tim's and Walmart.

Being approached with an hour of arriving if I could spare some change.

How close it was to Tim's and Walmart.

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

Overpriced

Breakfast was pitiful.

Good bed.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

Very kind staff and good location.

More diverse breakfast menu needed.

Very kind staff and good location.

• Reviewed: 13 August 2016

Ample parking

Bed and pillows were not comfortable

Ample parking

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

Boring
    • Deluxe King Suite - Non-Smoking

Booked and paid for a 1 queen bed was put in a standard room told front desk no help from them and told me to stay in the standard room

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

staff awesome very friendly and accomadating

smoking room

staff awesome very friendly and accomadating

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

Reasonable price.

Staff not well trained. Had a difficult time trying to get info.

Close to Tim Hortons and shopping. Aurora Taxi stand outside. Easily accessible

• Reviewed: 29 July 2016

Great Stay, exuberant staff at checkout.
    • King Suite

Felt rushed by staff to vacate room

Comfy room in a great location, close to all amenities

• Reviewed: 13 May 2016

The property was very close to the airport and the city.

The property was very close to the airport and the city. Ideal for travellers. After a difficulty with one of my flights, the people at the front desk were very helpful and accommodating. Made a difficult situation much more enjoyable.

• Reviewed: 25 April 2016

- The staff were very friendly.

- The breakfast options are very limited - Not very close to the downtown area. But if you have a car, it is only 10-15 mins drive.

- The staff were very friendly. - The gym is small but has two treadmills and does the job - There is a Tim Horton and Walmart a few steps away, very convenient.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2016

we were given a king suite which was very quiet, and...

our window view overlooked Tim's, Mark's, and a Walmart parking lot...but was close to downtown, and not that far from airport...

we were given a king suite which was very quiet, and comfortable...and the breakfast menu was great with yogurt, cereals, muffins, canned fruit or fresh, toast, coffee, juice,etc...even a waffle maker...

• Reviewed: 29 March 2016

Close to shopping and restaurants.

It smelled awful when we first arrived to our room but front desk clerk moved us to another room which was much better. Our bathroom door got stuck, not locked, from the outside and maintenance had to use tools to pry it open. The dining room was so small. We had to wait in line outside and once inside, the room was too crowded and people were pushing each other, butting in line, and it was hard to maneuver around chairs and tables. We had to take out breakfast back to our rooms to eat. Not comfortable to eat at all. Air was also too dry and dusty, daughter had nosebleed.

Close to shopping and restaurants. Beds were comfortable.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2016

Location, room size, beds are very comfy, ok shower,...

Breakfast is the same everyday, a bit pricey

Location, room size, beds are very comfy, ok shower, facilities inside room i.e. Tv, fridge, microwave etc.

• Reviewed: 28 February 2016

The staff was extremely helpful, they gave recommendations...

There was only one washer/dryer so it was a challenge to get the laundry done.

The staff was extremely helpful, they gave recommendations of where to eat and how to get different places. The room was clean and comfy. We where able to walk to different resturants. They mailed me the camera charger and battery I left behind.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2015

Lack of communication from booking.

Lack of communication from booking. Com on the payment. I was under the impression that the payment was done since I had to "prepay" to recieve the deal

• Reviewed: 18 September 2015

the staff was very friendly and helpful.

the wi-fi was iffy not a very strong symbol no working printer connected the computer so i could pre-book my flight

the staff was very friendly and helpful. the housekeeping staff were excellent and friendly. the breakfast had a decent variety of items and good coffee.

• Reviewed: 2 September 2015

Good location.

Cleaning staff very slow. It was after 3:00 pm by the time our room was made up on the second day. Front desk staff was hit and miss, some very friendly and the next not at all.

Good location. Breakfast was good and staff in breakfast room very helpful.

There are also 47 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.