Reviews of The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton 4 stars

1649 Hollis Street, Downtown Halifax, B3J 1V8 Halifax, Canada

#5 of 38 hotels in Halifax

I had problems with my heat/air fan. The hotel had it fixed the same day. A few problems with getting my room cleaned, but it got done in the end.

The staff at the front desk were amazing. Friendly, helpful and courteous. Always available to help out or answer any questions we may have. The warm cookies were an added bonus, and delicious. Rooms were very roomy and comfortable.

• Queen Suite with Harbour View

paid for a harbourview room and only got a partial view, mostly of building at the side of hotel ,but they compensated us with a free breakfast . thankyou it was tasty as well as fresh.

after arriving late from full day of travel ,ordered room service and meal was delicious.

• King Suite

No restaurant or bar included in the hotel. Have to go to another location.

Big room with excellent city centre location. Excellent breakfast, only meal offered.

• King Studio with Harbor View

The parking was a challenge. Was also charged $20/day for parking that we were not aware of.

this hotels a great downtown location, within walking distance to many amenities, i.e., great restaurants, and points of interest.

This is obviously a business hotel-no views the terrible parking. They expect visitors to park in an open field across the street in a different block. In our two day stay we couldn't find a spot as it is very limited (about 15-for the whole hotel!) So we had to move further down to a parkade-and you pay $18.95 a day for this!!!

• King Suite

The window would not open. There was no chair near the window. If I were designing the space I would put the living area near the window and move the bedroom inboard as in many new condos.

• King Studio

The parking fee is a bit to high. If I wanted to stay for longer it would of been really expensive and the parking area was not the best.

The hotel was spacious and clean. Smell really nice...Staff was super nice and helpful

• King Studio with Harbor View

I paid the extra for the harbor view, however, the layout of the room was not as conducive to a family of four and the non-harbor view room was that we stayed in last year. Was not worth the extra money. I will now know to specify that we would like a room within the suite. Love the location and the kids love the cookies upon arrival.

• King Studio with Harbor View

Bed was too hard for me, The pull out mattress was dreadful. I don't expect amazing quality from a pull out, but this was not possible to sleep on. My daughter slept on it as a couch (not pulled out) on the 2nd night, because she was so uncomfortable.

Loved the style of the room and the amenities. Location and service from staff were wonderful! Having a fridge and microwave in room were nice features. Cannot say enough about front desk and concierge staff. They were attentive and very helpful.

• Queen Suite

Breakfast buffet was good but the same as many hotels where the breakfast is complementary for guests. Pretty mild dislike.

Warm cookies at check in. Rainfall shower head Warm and helpful staff

Whenever we came back to the room there was a bad odor...smelled like sewage and appeared to be coming up through the sinks. Assumed it was related to the water table being so close to the harbour.

Room was spacious and great locale.

• King Studio with Harbor View

How much i had to pay ! if i had of called the hotel itself i would have got a better rate plus a free breakfast! Paying 19 dollars to back outside didnt excite me either. We had a truck full of furniture and thought it was underground. Nervous leaving it outside! Thank god it didnt rain. We were lucking.

View was awesome! King size bed was awesome!

• Queen Suite

I think because of the year it was hard to cool the room.so it was a little warm.

The Suite was very roomy,Beds were very comfortable,Bathroom was also very good.Everything seemed in great shape ,good location,would stay here again.

• Queen Suite

Parking ,costing extra and not convenient unless you had to bother staff to keep taking and bringing car back and forth. One dangerous chair in bedroom as it tipped and we had one fall out of it and another time it tipped as i leaned foreword in it when I tried to put shoes on.

Staff very helpful. Clean and very nice view of the harbour. Room and facilities were lovely.

• Queen Suite

An included breakfast would go a long way to make up for the parking fee. Also, the room wasn't as clean as I had figured especially considering the price!

Upscale. Pool and fitness areas clean and nice.

• King Studio

The hot tub was not working properly, it wouldn’t stay going, but we did get it going after a while, our windowsill was very dusty and there was a lot of hair left in the bathtub there was also crumbs in the sofa bed that my daughter had to sleep on and the mattress in the sofa bed was awful. We had called before we checked in to request a late checkout and it was not noted to our reservation and we got a nasty call from the front desk on checkout day saying that we were supposed to be gone but we were told that we could checkout between 1-1:30, that was very disappointing and made us very uncomfortable

The pool was great, the king bed was very comfortable and the bedding was very nice, I really liked having a kitchenette in the room as well. Most of the staff were very pleasant to deal with.

• Queen Suite

The parking was expensive for paying so much for a room. Breakfast wasn't included so we went elsewhere.

It was right downtown and the staff were delightful. The room was great and the facilities were great. They gave us a warm cookie per person when checking in!

Breakfast was not included. 200$ a night plus parking is a bit expensive for breakfast not to be included.

The room was clean and very confortable. Staff was friendly and veey helpful. The hotel is at a great location to visit downtown Halifax. 12:00 check out time was awesome.

• Queen Suite

Front desk concierge pretended he couldnt speak ENGLISH! wouldnt look at us! Then i heard him serving people entire weekend in English!parking 2nd night was full! Had to smoosh my suv into a non park spot. Very upsetting!

Beds were fabulous! Room suite spacious! Pool gross! Attitude upon arrival of concierge was awful

It was very cold when I arrived and the warm cookie staff gave me was a perfect touch! My room was updraded, it was gorgeous! Very very clean! Noon check out made my morning very leisurely, had time for the gym, pool and whirlpoool without feeling like I was rushed. Was able to enjoy the king bed and rain shower in my suite too! These are the two reasons I come to The Hollis, the bed and showers, they're my kind of comfort! Thank you for making my stay in the city so comfortable.

• King Studio

Room needed a kettle. I should have asked for one. An informal relaxed area with sofas etc.

Friendly, helpful staff. Good room layout. Good sized bathroom. Felt comfortable there on my own.

Parking to check in was a bit awkward. Some cars were parked at odd angles so we had no place to stop our car.

Great location being in the heart of Halifax. Short walk to the waterfront and the excellent farmer's market.

Cheapest valet parking in the city, which was great. The staff upgraded my stay for free to a very nice suite! Great location, friendly staff and very nice hotel!

• King Studio

super rude staff. Got locked out of my room, didn't have a key, got escorted to my room to show my ID, and told that the credit card that had that room wasn't in my name and was not allowed to sleep in it! Had to go sleep with my kids on a pull out bed...absolute outrage. Never again.

• King Studio with Harbor View

The location and the room were fantastic. The view - the view from the shower, yes the shower, was so cool! Plenty of restaurants around and just a cool place to hang out. We are definitely going back next year, but staying more than one night for sure!

• King Suite

La falta de servicio y limpieza de las mesas durante el desayuno. The lack of service and cleaning of the tables during breakfast

The friendliness of the staff

N/A.

A great room with a view of the waterfront. Comfortable bed and good pillows. We also had a sofa, a fridge, microwave, and tea/coffee making facilities. There was a small gym and an indoor pool.

• King Studio with Harbor View

outside parking lot one block away with mouse that chewed up car wires, requiring a tow and expensive repair at car agency (and significantly delayed our trip schedule), expensive parking, no luggage racks or flat surfaces to put suitcases on in room.

the view, the view! Easy laundry room access and cleanliness

• King Suite - Disability Access

Need more casual restaurants/market in the immediate area open on weekends.

Great Breakfast, Excellent Valet, Friendly Reception, Fast elevators, Beautiful Hotel

• King Studio with Harbor View

The bathroom was nice except the odd window in the shower with the louvered blinds. Pulling down the blinds and closing them was difficult.

The suite was a corner room and the view of the harbor was very nice. The wet bar was nice. The seventh floor was nice.

• King Studio

The rooms are very large and comfortable. The location is very convenient to go anywhere in town, and there is a lovely view of the harbour. The staff is helpful and friendly.

All the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. Room was huge and comfy. Easy stroll to the waterfront, the Citadel, and pubs and restaurants. Simple buffet breakfast was reasonably priced for a large chain hotel.

• King Studio with Harbor View

Outdated, mediocre facilities. Pool and gym unappealing. Hated the blinds in the shower with window to bedroom. That was just weird. Hated that the windows in the rooms don't open. Huge minus for me. Instal the ones that only open partially if security/safety concerns. On first night, I noticed blood stains on the bed sheet. That was disgusting beyond words. The staff were good about coming to the room at my midnight to change sheets, but still.

Location was great, staff very friendly.

• King Studio with Harbor View

It was quite loud in the room, from the air conditioner, to outside noise (music/partying) to the people above us to anyone walking in the hall. The walls are thin, the windows aren't really insolates either. Also, our room service was a bit ridiculous. First we couldn't reach them, had to call the front desk to put us through. Then they messed up the order, so we had to keep calling back, I think 4 times, until it was sorted. And my eggs were ice cold. 😔

The bed was comfortable. The suit was spacious. Partial Harbour view was the whole reason I booked here. It was the cheapest room I could find in downtown Halifax that was facing the water.

• Queen Suite

The door was already open when we got to our room and there was some water spilt on the coffee table when we arrived. Very small things that didn't detract from our stay at all. I'm really fussy. I mean seriously over-the-top fussy about places to stay, and I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

If you're looking for a comfortable, spacious, clean room in walking distance of the main attractions in Halifax then this is the hotel for you. We loved the layout of the suite and the amount of space. The beds were extremely comfortable. This was definitely our two teenagers' favourite accommodation of the trip. The staff were very helpful and looked after our bags as we arrived before check-in time. The cookie at check-in is always a nice touch! We walked up to the citadel and down to the waterfront so the location was great, just a few tatty buildings in sight didn't make for a great view from the room. We would liked to have stayed longer and will definitely stay here again if going back to Halifax. We didn't try the hotel breakfast. Do yourself a favour and go to the cafe/sandwich shop across the street for their breakfast sandwich (they do a veggie one as well) and a freshly baked blueberry muffin - much cheaper and so good!

• King Suite with Harbour View

Noise from the adjoining room was distracting.

Beautiful, clean, modern hotel with great service and excellent location to the Halifax waterfront and downtown.

• Queen Suite

The air conditioner not working properly and staff unable to fix it. They offered my a free breakfast but felt they should have discounted my rate

The air conditioner was not working in my room and they were unable to fix it during my stay, which made it a bit uncomfortable

• King Suite

The fitness center Need to be with steam and saona rooms

All the organizations in this hotel are great specially the manegment and the location as well the operation staff are great.

• King Studio with Harbor View

The room service took a little longer than expected~over an hour. Also, the volume on the tv was set at a limit that made it difficult to hear some of the programming. The parking situation was a little confusing because there was construction going on out front and the site of the available lot wasn't clearly marked.

We loved the view of the harbor and the comfortable bed. I also loved the see-through shower so that you could still see the harbor while bathing. We made good use of the hot tub and the robes that were provided.

• King Suite - Disability Access

Over priced for what you get. I would have liked supplies/towels to be replenished. We had to ask for more towels 3x. We were a family of 4 with 3 towels 3 out of the 5 days. The rooms could have been cleaner.

I liked that The room was spacious and close to the harbour front.

kitchenette not well equipped, okay breakfast (not enough seats available during peak times)

Central hotel near waterfront, parking close by (although not inexpensive), modern rooms not on the smallish side

• King Studio

A breakfast included with the room rental would have been much appreciated.

Located close to the waterfront it is a nice compromise to paying too much for the view and having to walk miles to the waterfront.

• King Suite

They booking.com we were told one price and it ended up $50 more. Will not book thru booking.com anymore. Also...hotel self parking was full so was offered valet but not told it wasn't included.

Bed was comfy. They actually had laundry facilities in the hotel -- bonus!

• King Suite with Harbour View

The area was developing so quite a number pf road works.

The head Concierge Trevor was amazing. So helpful and thoughtful. Nothing was too much trouble for him, thank you.

• King Suite with Harbour View

Great location, short walk to the harbour front and restaurants. We stayed in a King Suite with Harbour view and would definitely stay in that room again. It had a multiple views of the harbour. The suite was spacious and the bedroom was separate from the sitting area that also had large windows to enjoy the view. Suite comes with mini fridge and microwave. We opted for valet parking which was only a little more than self parking. I would definitely recommend this hotel to family and friends.

• King Studio

We appreciated the lengths the general manager went to, to make up for a potentially serious issue that arose. He did this of his own accord. He wasn't asked to make it right, he simply did it. Thank you!

• King Suite with Harbour View

The hotel is right along the harbor with lots of activities, and concerts going on. We visited during Pride week, and there was a variety of concerts happening below, which we could hear until around 11 pm so it was not possible to fall asleep until then.

Awesome set up on the top Floor with great view of the Harbour.

• King Suite

Only one out of three room was ready by the time we arrived (around 3, which is supposed to be the check in time), the last room weren't ready until 7pm. Had to call three times for an extra quilt Very hard to find a parking spot if come back late

Spacious Room Friendly Staff excellent location

• Queen Suite

The hot tub in pool area was broken, we looked forward to that as an evening end aching bones soak. I also didn't like that I am paying for valet parking daily, yet actually was expected to find a spot in a dusty empty lot off site. Breakfast was fair, glad to see oatmeal on the bar, but a better priced a la cart price would be nice.

Location, Location, Location. We could not have found a better location, close to the waterfront, close to restaurants. We were excited to see the TALL SHIP, and watched fireworks 3 nights standing at our bedroom window on the 5th floor. We were present for the Busker's festival, and for all of the great history in Halifax, and it almost seemed like we could get back to the room in minutes. Our suite was perfect, room to stretch out - with a separate living room and dinette area, and the bonus of a kitchenette with fridge, microwave, and sink we were truly able to use this as a relaxing headquarters during our daily adventures. The desk staff responds quickly to every need they can attend to. My husband had a recent back surgery and they went out of their way to make it easier to valet the car when it was a more taxing day. The maid checked with us daily to see when we would like our room serviced. Every staff person we met truly represented this hotel well.

There wasn't anything I didn't like other than the stay was too short!

This room and hotel felt luxurious Very roomy and staff was great Location is excellent- walk to many nearby restaurants and waterfront I asked for quiet room by email and it was very quiet

• King Studio

Had to circle the streets three times before space was available in front on street to load up after the stay

Staff were very helpful and room was very comfortable

• King Suite

reception (a very stern, unsmiling person welcoming us; the warm tasty cookie did not compensate for her coldness); other staff unsmiling also, except at check-out (!) ; beware if you book the king suite: sofabed in the sitting area, designated to accomodate the 3rd adult in our group (as booked and described) wasn't something designed for sleeping (it opens into a sort of mattress of steel springs and a very thin fabric cover) so we had to ask (twice) for ... something to actually change it into a decent thing to sleep on; overall was clean but can do better for the price: some dusty spots in the kitchenette and dirt and grime (visible mostly in the washroom); also had to ask for a fourth set of towels (we were 3 adults and a 5yr child- strangely enough they need towels too); parking: in a very inconvenient gravel covered construction fenced-like site in diagonal from the hotel, a spot wasn't available for the entire staying so you are advised to use the Metro private parking a little further away. If you have lots of luggages and you are lucky when you arrive just use the single 15 min. parking spot in front of the hotel to unload your car (carts/trolleys are just inside in the lobby)

location; some of the furnishings and finishes (LED light fixtures; reproduction of an Eames Egg chair; quartz counters and table tops; nice wallcovers); rain shower head

• Queen Suite

Parking was an absolute nightmare and our car almost got towed away while we were checking in . Had to park car very far away from hotel because there's was full.!

Rooms were excellent

• King Suite

The onsite parking procedure was not free and a little confusing. It would have been nice to have more information in the room on how parking and other amenities worked, and/or a take-away paper or postcard with info on parking procedure/rate/service options.

I liked that they had warm cookies behind the counter for visitors to purchase, that their snack bar had frozen dinners and convenient food like cup noodles for when guests felt like dining in on the cheap. Staff were very friendly and informative.

Asked for quiet room but got one near lift and air handling system - very loud so hard to sleep. Poor outcome given my request to staff. Avoid room 901.

• King Suite with Harbour View

There was no cutlery and crockery in the suite's kitchen but they brought this up when asked. There was construction work nearby that started very early

Great bed, lovely room and suite, great views and very friendly and helpful staff, especially Trevor the Concierge

• King Studio

Only minus was parking. That was the reason we took valet parking because did not find available spots in small parking lot. Specially in evening when you coming back to hotel.

We stayed 8 nights. We were prepping wedding and worked long hours every day. It was nice to come back to clean and comfy room. Very good location. Friendly stuff, always helpful! Food is good. Room was amazing, bed is very good. Plus point is that you have a little kitchener in your room - fridge, coffee machine. I need my coffee very early and that was just extra bonus to go for 24 hr free coffee service in the lobby area and get it @ 6am or any time. I need a huge mug coffee and did not bother to do in our room. Thankful visitors from Toronto.

• King Suite - Disability Access

The parking rate, should be better with multiple nights stay. Could have been a little cleaner (lots of fingerprints on tables when we arrived).

Our suite was large and well appointed. The parking was good. Very quiet. So close to the waterfront, restaurants and shops. The staff was very welcoming and helpful. We had a very enjoyable weekend, walked everywhere.

• King Suite

While the parking lot was on the adjacent street corner it was uncovered and in close proximity to numerous pigeons. The car was covered in their excrement.

What an amazing contemporary hotel, close to everything, if you are looking for the boardwalk experience stay here.

• King Suite with Harbour View

We would have liked a more organised breakfast,didn't seem to have a system to flow.we only had 1 breakfast and then chose to eat breakfast out,maybe added more variety such as cooked tomatoes,mushrooms and poached eggs.

Staff very friendly and helpful,our room was excellent , very spacious and well appointed.locstioncis perfect for getting around Halifax.

More English (black) tea needed in room 😉

Trevor was a massive help to us ❤️ he deserves a massive bonus in his wages! Loved it all, pool would be much better if it has a steam room and sauna

• King Suite

Left hotel at 8:30 am for event. Returned at 3:00 exhausted - Room still was not service. When we went to front desk to tell them we would be going out for a walk for 20 minutes would they please service our room, staff made the bed, fresh towels but not cleaning. no fresh creamers etc. This was a suite not just a room. Service should have been better.

Comfy bed, fluffy towels. View of the harbour.

• King Studio

The breakfast did not have a lot of selection of different things.

The breakfast was nice but the room was great. Large and the bed was very comfortable.

• King Studio with Harbor View

Too bad part of waterfront under construction for hotel and platform. Did not interfere with anything at hotel and still a nice walk all along boardwalk. Minor, but Toast in room was warm bread, not really toasted.

Great view of harbour from top floor. In room coffee GREAT. Very comfortable bed. Lots of restaurants along waterfront but in particular A Mana restaurant Very good.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

• Queen Suite with Harbour View

WIFI. Was not good. I had to work while on this holiday and I had problems with the wifi dropping. I finally figured out when not to use the computer. This was the only irrantant experienced

The staff were awesome in answering our questions. Very friendly

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

• King Suite with Harbour View

The room wasn't as clean as we would have hoped. The floor was pretty filthy, but only brought to our attention when our bum shuffling toddler turned black. The kitchenette wasn't very functional, and lacked any actual dishes or cutlery. There was also no kettle which proved slightly difficult with a toddler on formula (you can get hot water from the coffee machine if you just ignore the coffee sachet step).

The main bed was super comfy! Loved having a separate living room as well for evenings when our toddler went to bed early. Fantastic location for downtown Halifax!!

• King Suite

The price you book on here is not what they charge you once you're leaving. Expect the cost to be 80-100 more. We didn't have room service come to our room and when we ended up finally getting ahold of stuff, they removed some stuff out our room. The hotel did accommodate that with a free breakfast and located our items very quickly.

The room is very modern and up to date. Staff are great and the bed is very comfy.

Green apples only available once.

We did not eat in so can't comment on the food except cookies were delicious. Missed the apples which were available only once. Concierge excellent advice.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

• King Suite

Air conditioning was so loud. The cleaning staff did the bare minimum job and every day I had to ask for basic things that were missing, one night two guys knocked on our door at 4am by "mistake" I can say so much more. I would not recommend this hotel. Not worth the money.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

• King Studio with Harbor View

For the price i think at least continental breakfast or parking could have been included but overall its a great place.

Room was modern and clean. We had a harbour view room on the 6th floor so we spent our mornings eating breakfast and gazing at the harbour which was lovely and the rooms are quite spacious. Staff are very welcoming and friendly. You also get a delicious warm cookie upon arrival which was a nice touch!

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

• Queen Suite

Mouse in the facility (at the bar and in the lobby) My bedroom had crumbs leftover from previous tenants under the armchair and there was old dishes and glasses on the floor of the room adjacent to my bedroom that stayed as long as I did .......

• Queen Suite

a bath where you could not take a bath since the waterplug did not work the kitchen section was in the dark due to a burned out lightbulb which was not replaced even after reported

the personel at the reception

• King Suite

Everything was double the price and cost from what it said online. Girl at the front desk was incredibly rude and the other person on with her tried to make up for her. Hookers. Blood on the sheets and no money was taken off . I booked for 4 but only two apparently showed up any way what turned up looking like a 480$ stay turned into 700$ and the staff aside from this one lady were very sweet but she honestly ruined it and the four us and our friends won't be back

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

I just wish they had a little better parking.

I was very happy with the whole experience. When we checked in they even upgraded our suite just because. The staff was great, and even the onsite Fax bar, staff was very friendly.

Shower door should open on other side. Banged knee on the toilet. Don't like tv guide. Annoying to navigate. $17. 99 ridiculous price for a movie rental.

Amazing bed! Had a great sleep