Reviews of The Strathcona Hotel 3 stars

60 York Street, M5J 1S8 Toronto, Canada

#67 of 133 hotels in Toronto

• Deluxe Queen Room

A bit pricey but that's Toronto, the bed seemed smaller than a queen.

Great location, fairly large room for downtown area, nice and clean bathroom.

• Queen Room

The bed was old and soft and "creaked" with every movement! The room was clean but small and the door to the closet was hard to open and close.

• Queen Room

Tiny room. Bathroom small. Found dirty coffee cup under bed when unplugging charger. Clearly from previous guest, indicates room not cleaned. Towels stained and old

Location location location!

• Queen Room

My " executive suite, $700+ for 2 nights" was the smallest room I have ever stayed in. Very tiny room for 2 people with a bunch of luggage. One person in the bathroom at a time to get ready because it was too small for 2 of us to get ready at the same time.

The location was perfect for proximity to where we needed to go.

• Queen Room

Rooms are TINY. No carpeting on floors, no robes in the rooms. No fridge in the rooms... had to call front desk to request one. When it came it was the tiniest thing ever and took forever to chill because it hadn’t been plugged in, in who knows how long. The ice buckets supplied were tiny...There was a snot rocket stuck to the bathroom wall when I got to my room.

Staff were lovely

Even though there was an issue with the room that I had booked and had to stay in a much smaller "emergency" room, the staff and manager were very good at taking care of me ... and the room, although small was very comfortable. The breakfast at the cafe is really, really good too! The location can not be beat if you are doing things in the Entertainment area.

I was happily surprised by the room. Even though it was small, it was really comfortable and suited my needs. I stayed there only for 1 night while being on a business trip and everything was great. Nice price for the location, right by Union Station where I got off the train!

Nothing - everything met our expectations!

Checked in early and were so grateful. Front desk wonderful and welcoming. Room small yet so peaceful and comfortable and spotlessly clean. Parking expensive, but what a fabulous location. We were going to Royal Alexandra theatre that evening, and it was just a hop skip and jump away. We spent a leisurely afternoon walking the boardwalk at the Harbourfront. Everything you want to do is just so close. Internet great. Awesome.

• Standard King Room

Rooms are small. We were on the second floor with a view of outside walls - but that's the city. Will ask to stay higher up next time.

Location! Close to everything we wanted to see

Awkward lit bedside shelves that couldn’t be dimmed or turned off. Some surfaces dusty.

Front desk staff gave me snacks and water when I checked in at 1am. Room felt compact but space used efficiently. Nice full length mirrors and ample lighting.

The room was quite small. I’m sure it was their smallest one. It still felt like we got what we paid for since we booked on booking.com last minute and got a deal.

Staff was friendly and helpful. Really great to know you can leave your car with valet after you check out and check bags at the counter. Within easy walking distance to great locations!

The room we got was the size of a phone booth. It was advertised that the wifi had to be purchased, however, upon checking out we learned that it was Free. Very disappointed.The rates we were given were not competitive with other similar hotels in the area. Because we booked third party, they could not give us the better rate, so they give us an executive room which was a little bigger. I found that we were paying over $300.00 for rooms that don't qualify for that rate. In future travels, I will think twice before I book with booking.com. Even though they gave me a total rate, they never broke it down, since the rate was different for each night. I never experienced that rate change in all my travels. My experience is the rate is consistent for all nights. Another guest who was checking out at the same time, all experienced the same deal. She too couldn't believe it. She also felt that she was deceived..

Very clean, well situated in downtown Toronto, staff were very professional.

Room was chilly despite having heat on. Discovered in the morning that an upper window was open. Managed okay as there was an extra blanket in the room.

Friendly and helpful staff. Great breakfast. Great location.

Staff at pub downstairs were not as friendly as reception staff, food was just okay, but prices were very reasonable.

Staff were very friendly and helpful, facilities and rooms were very clean. Full size shampoo, condition, hand soap and hand lotion, not wasting small travel size bottles was a nice touch to see.

• Standard King Room

Our king-sized bed took up most of the room. Smallest hotel room we've ever had. In addition, our window was small and looked out onto a grey alley. Rather depressing. Do not come here if you plan to spend any time in your room. Finally, the only cups provided are 2 paper cups. We had to request proper glasses - which the staff happily provided - but at $260 per night, you should reasonably expect real drinking glasses and real coffee cups.

As others have noted, the buffet breakfast was worth the money. So much variety, including vegetarian. To address the problem of thin walls, The Strathcona now requires guests to sign a No Noise agreement. It's an old hotel, so fixing the walls is not practical but having to sign an agreement certainly draws patrons' attention to the need to be reasonably quiet.

• Queen Room

We asked for coffee pods to be brought to room, they didn't come. Asked for extra towels, were told they were in the dresser drawer. The room didn't have a dresser....

The breakfast buffet was excellent, priced well. Comfortable bed

The room that I was assigned to @ checkin, was not good. It had a "stale" smell, including bed linens & towels. As this was my fifth stay @ Strathcona, I was disappointed. The situation was corrected quickly, by changing rooms.

Staff was very responsive to my request to change rooms. Throughout my stay, they were helpful and pleasant, @ all hours.

I didn’t like the laminate floors in the room. It is so much nicer to have carpeting or even an area rug beside the bed would be better.

The bed was super cozy but could use a thicker duvet.

• Queen Room

The room felt like a university student room. Way too small and very basic.

It was nice and clean. The location was great and convenient to get to restaurants and around downtown.

• Queen Room

The room was very small our first night and noisy. We were upgraded to an executive room free of charge for our remaining 3 nights which was larger although no view.

Hotel was very close to Union Station and the UP express train runs frequently to/from Pearson airport. Staff very helpful

The room was super small (and I didn't book the budget small room), so there wasn't even space for a seat and there was very little surface area to put stuff. I was only there two nights so was fine, if I'd stayed any longer the crampedness would have have annoyed me.

The location was the best feature as it's across from Union station. The room and bedding were clean. Nice toiletries.

Too expensive for che what you get. Room was too small, not too clean, old and no breakfast included.

Great location, close to the CN Tower and Union Station, from where you can catch a direct train to the airport.

No view, pillow had a stain on it, There was hair and dirt under the table, the fan in the bathroom wasn’t working, tv had like 3 channels.. for 172$ I was just expecting a little more.

The location was perfect staff was very nice, lobby was very cool and modern!

Parking was very limited for overnight stays. Hotel SHOULD advise guests that some garages close for the weekend and will not allow access to your car, but they failed to do so.

Room was very comfortable and accommodating. As a lone traveler, the location was extremely convenient for exploring Toronto!

• Standard King Room

The room was small, very small. The restaurant downstairs was open limited hours and was more of a sports bar. The hotel and bar were not as trendy/cool as I had expected.

The location was amazing.

TV was terrible and hard to use.. blurry screen they need to upgrade those. Ice located in 1 floor you need a key card to access.. annoying!!!

Breakfast buffet

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

I missed having a desk in my room. I didn’t like the toilet it splashed water every time you flushed it The breakfast buffet was just fair looks great but not hot enough. Lacked taste.

Even though the rooms are small, they are clean. If you are going to be on the go and need a place to sleep this is a great place. The location is great. The staff are very accommodating. The pub food was excellent.

• Standard King Room

Room was very small and there was construction noise most of the night although that was no fault of the hotel.

Excellent location to attend an event at the ACC.

• Queen Room

The front desk failed to tell me about the deposit they take out temporary...I had to ask about it and they told me after they took it out of my card . Even though I knew already it would be a professional manner from them to explain it The cleaning lady hit the door with a broom before check out.. she should be asking to be informed what rooms have been checked out before check out time. The parking .. he under garage was complicated.. Would be nice if there was an entrance and exit and not have to exit and find yourself at a whole.new area

The bed was super comfy! Room itself was great

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bed was not comfortable. Had the worst sleep i have ever had in a hotel. It was sloped to the top

Friendly staff. Decent breakfast. It was clean.

We were put in a tiny, but clean, room. Could only just fit the two of us and our suitcases in. A friend who was also staying there said his room was plenty big enough.

The room was a little chilly but the extra blankets in the closet solved the problem.

The staff were very accommodating - I was travelling without my infant and had to store breastmilk. They allowed me a late check out to have a place to pump before catching my train. Very pleasant staff across the board. Great little hotel - perfect location. Would stay here again.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room was a little small.

Bed was very comfortable. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel was fun and trendy and close theaters and restaurants.

Taxi driver didn't know how to get back to the hotel so dropped us off far away. Nothing to do with your hotel but irritating.

Lcation to train station.

I arrived late at night and I was thirsty, but I didn´t found a bottle of water in the room. I ask in the lobby that I would to buy a bottle of water and they didn´t have the option for sale me one, so I had to go in front to Tim Hortons restaurant. They don´t have to give me that free, but I hadn´t the option to buy one. When I did the chek-in the attention wasn´t very good, but it was different when I did the check-out and when I had the breakfast.

Excellent room. Excellent location. Good breakfast. My daughter forgot something in the room and we came back three days after and they have it.

Nothing that can be changed one way street and lack of Toronto location experience made it frustrating to find - My own fault.i did have a map.

Extremely clean and comfortable rooms. Staff was exceptionally supportive including young man for valet.parking-

The rooms are small, so quite close to the hallway. You can hear everytime someone opens a door or talks in the hallway.

Nice finishes in the room, it was modern and comfortable.

• Queen Room

Room was not spacious, wouldn’t want more then 2 people in there. Bathroom was extremely small. Thermostat in the room did not stay set to desired temperature

Great location for being in walking distance to many attractions, beds were comfortable

The room 3019 had a glass door beside the bathroom, leading to a closet? Or to the joining room? Whatever it was, there was a light in that space that I could not turn off. So all night there was a bright light in the sleeping space.

Happy to have a room with two single beds.

Room wasn't cleaned by housekeeping 1 of 3 days. I was put into a 2 bed room when I requested a queen bed. The room contained no desk/space to work from. The booking.com expense estimate didn't match with what I ended up paying. The shower water took several minutes to turn warm/hot.

location is excellent.

• Queen Room

Clean comfortable and quick check in. Be honest, most of us get a hotel room to sleep. Not big rooms, but why pay for a desk and arm chair you never sit in.

I booked a double bed but on check in all they could give me is a twin / single bed. Fell out of bed twice through the night. House keeping staff should check the TV Remote controls as to their function buttons working or new battery required. My remote kind of worked. Had to get up to change the channels.

Hotel is in a good location for downtown activity.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

SIZE OF THE ROOM. NO FRIDGE. NO CHAIRS TO EVEN SIT !!!!!!!!!!!! RIDICULOUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROOM WAS THE SIZE OF A CLOSET !! NO FRIDGE. STAFF ( MATTHEW) DIDN'T EVEN ASK US HOW WE ENJOYED OUR STAY !!! VERY DISAPPOINTED AND WILL NEVER BOOK THERE AGAIN. PLEASE CLEAN THE MOLD OFF THE SILICONE ON THE BATH TUB...DISGUSTING !

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel doesn't include a breakfast in its fee but there is a Tim Hortons across the street, and the hotel does offer a full breakfast for $9.95.

The concierge was very helpful in telling us how to get to the Hockey Hall of Fame through the underground tunnels in the area. It was a very rainy day, and he considered our comfort. He also gave us a printed map as a back up to his verbal directions for finding the attraction.

The WiFi did not work in our room. The coffee maker was super dirty. I needed cutlery and I asked the staff and they told me they don't have any, while there were bunch of them in the breakfast area.

The bed and the design was nice. The location was the best part.

I was surprised about having to pay for the extras (ie: microwave/wifi etc), but upon further thought was glad to not pay for what I didn't need.

Very impressed w/the hotel, staff. I travel a lot, and because I'm a designer/general contractor, I am hugely critical when things are not done properly or/and maintained well. Exceed my expectation

• Queen Room

Didn’t have parking! We had to use the underground which was $40. The view from our room consisted of a building view. Felt like we were in a basement. No natural light at all. Very small room. Was only a bed, bathroom and closet. No other seating, and no room to put any.

It was close to the ACC.

The mattress wasn’t very comfortable and the bed frame was squeaky

The location was perfect for what we wanted to do while in Toronto, and the price was very good

The alarm clock was quite a bit off the correct time and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to change it (God bless wake-up calls). Also, during the breakfast buffet, some of the hot plate lids covering the food would not close by them selves and some people did not notice so that the lids were left ajar after they had served themselves and so the food cooled down.

Some would describe the rooms as small or cramped, but we found the room quite cozy. In terms of location, the Strathcona is fabulous - - easy walking distance from Union Station, close to the subway and close to a number of good shops and restaurants.

• Queen Room

This was the coldest hotel room I have ever been in!!!! The draft from the windows was unbelievable. The floors were like ice, couldn’t even take your shoes off. When the heat cut out, there was a breeze in the room. Would definitely not return!,,,

Location was great.

The snowy slushy weather that day!

We had a very nice stay. The bed was very comfortable. The desk personnel were very accommodating. The hotel bar had a very nice atmosphere. We were there only to have a drink before we went to our show at the Roy Thompson Hall.

• Queen Room

I could see light through the door and it was noisy. Some stripping to seal the door is required.

The location was amazing and the decor was modern and simple.

Chrek in computers were down (again) but staff did their best. Bathroom was sad. No desk in the room so had to work in the lounge area which was ok.

Location, location, location. New breakfast restaurant and also louge area to relax and work between meetings.

I was completely shocked about the size of room. Way too small and no where to sit and work with laptop (other than bed). Tossed and turned the majority of night - bed not comfortable at all. Based on my work schedule, I was only able to spend approx. 6 hours during my stay and maybe got 1.5 hours of sleep. Very disappointed. Will not book here again.

Cleanliness

• Queen Room

The front desk staff on the evening shift the past few occasions I have booked here have had problems with third party bookings - they don't seem to know how to find them and are very bristly when you insist that you have confirmation and show them booking numbers- then they do find them but blame the booking system - and not their own lack of training/ability to navigate the system. Some desk staff are great - I have had super helpful front desk staff here too who go out of their way to accommodate - but there seem to be some weak links in their booking and customer service training as well...

The property is great - clean with a first rate location.

Soap type dispensers would be easier to use if there was a brief info card/sign in the bathroom. Once you're in the shower, it is too late to try to figure out how to use them, especially if A) they're new to you, and B) if you're half-blind without your glasses. It would also be really helpful to have a wall-mounted magnifying mirror adjacent to the sink.

Excellent value for the money. Hotel very quiet. And staff very friendly, helpful, and obliging, both at check-in, and in their accommodation of our needs regarding the holding of our luggage for us for a few hours at check-out. Short distances to Queen and Yonge were a bonus. Didn't have the opportunity to check out the food services on this stay.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Size of room—very cramped for more than one piece of luggage.

Friendly and helpful staff. Excellent access to public transport and the UP Train to Pearson Airport. Great location for walking the downtown core, including restaurants, public spaces and the AGO (even in January!)

• Queen Room

Not really set up for business travellers. Ended up using a luggage rack as a desk to try getting some work done.

Great location, right beside the Union Station (trains, metro)

• Queen Room

The room design could be improved - specifically, the door to my room which was adjacent to the bed would let light from the corridor through. Additionally, it is advertised on the website that the facilities include a gym, which is true, however it is at an additional cost (which is not noted, and unusual).

The staff were great as was the breakfast. The rooms were clean too, all in all a good hotel!!

• Queen Room

Room was a bit small, but we understand that this is an old structure and changing that is very difficult.

It fit the bill for us. We were in a pinch and needed a place for the night right near the train station. We booked the hotel from the airport and showed up 1 hour later. The concierge made a perfect suggestion for dinner. Starbucks is right around both corners too.

Free wifi would have been nice

The location was excellent we went and seen the leafs game less then a 5 min walk to air Canada Center staff where great and parking right next to the hotel

small room, no desk, no chair, noisy elevator,other guests in hallway waking me up, could hear the rooms next door. Plastic cups. clean but smelling of industrial hospital cleaner

great breakfast reasonably priced

• Queen Room

Our room had a window overlooking the interior of the building which was dark and unpleasant. It was not stated so during our booking therefore we were disappointed.

Room was very small - but, price was good and we only stayed for 1 night. Great for a short stay.

Location was excellent! We were going to a Raptors basketball game and the stadium was just down the street. Great price for a short stay!

• Standard King Room

The room was very tiny and it wasn't made/cleaned when we first got the room.

Location was great, right by Union Station and the staff were nice.

I would've liked a little more privacy or security. The elevator was accessible to anyone and it felt a little unsafe. I would've liked if it was only accessible to hotel guests with their key card.

The room was small and cozy. I liked it and expected it for its downtown location; I knew it would be smaller. The location was perfect; I needed to be walking distance to the ACC and it was. The staff was very nice. I was told that they were in the process of upgrading their wifi and expected it to be very slow but it worked well. Certain things didn't load or took longer, but basic things like social media worked fine. I was not doing work on this trip so it didn't matter to me. The room was clean and the lobby was beautiful. During my stay the hotel was pretty quiet and calm and there wasn't much noise. There are plenty of parking garages around the area that are not a far walk. And also restaurants that are a short walking distance.

• Standard King Room

Not much insulation or sound proofing. You can hear all the showers turn on all around your room!

It is very clean and well run. I love that it is so close to the A.C.C.

When we got there they did not have a reservation. They claim they never received one from you. I showed them the reservation number but still claimed they never received it. Lucky for us that had room but not on the same floor as I requested

No one at front desk when we arrived. Had to wait 10 minutes. No TV remote in the room, which was also tiny. Heating difficult to control, either too hot or too cold. Breakfast choices were poor/limited.

The location, right next to Union Station. Quiet at night.

• Queen Room

You mentioned travellers with pets. Hopefully you have special rooms set aside for these guests. Guests with allergies do not need to deal with cat fur or dog hair on a trip. Doors to corridor very drafty when extremely cold also the window louvres. Unfortunately its been a cold winter and Saturday and Sunday were two of those days.

The bed was comfortable, felt smaller than a regular queen. The room was small but adequate. Bathroom was clean. Do not know how often floor is mopped but since I suffer from dust allergies and they did not act up, then the room was dust free. Front desk very pleasant and helpful. Boutique type hotel, European flair.

Rooms were very small but size was adequate for a short stay.

What a great value and location. Decor and atmosphere was updated and hotel was much nicer than I expected for the price. Amazing location right next to Royal York.

• Executive King Room

Room #1210 is behind the elevators, so shouldn’t be classed as Executive. Couldn’t sleep from the constant noise. I’d had a problem regarding a missing item during my previous stay, so was disappointed/surprised/insulted to then be assigned this room. Was given a different room the next morning by a helpful team member, no questions asked.

• Queen Room

The room was really, really small. The shower didn't get hot. The wifi was extremely unreliable (no access on one side of a very small room), which was the worst think because I needed to do a few hours of remote work. The price was all right, but honestly not as good as the comfort inn or the econo lodge (cheaper, and their wifi & shower don't suck).

Proximity to Union Station (light rail to the airport). Good beef poutine in the bar.

The room was very noisy. We were awoken by rowdy people across the hall, then the security guard, then a food delivery person, then more rowdiness. We were also awakened very early in the mornings by clattering in the hallway-probably cleaning staff. Also the heating system woke us up every time it came on in the night

The location and price

Hotel was loud. Smell like marijuana and my room door was left open with my valuables unattended after the clean staff had visited

Good front desk people