Reviews of Capital City Center Hotel 3 stars

1961 Douglas Street, V8T 4K7 Victoria, Canada

#31 of 52 hotels in Victoria

• Standard King Room

This hotel had everything you could want at a hotel and the best and bonus feature was the friendly staff. The food was excellent and so were the prices. The bar had a wonderfully warm atmosphere too.

• King Room with Kitchenette

It's an old place, mostly renovated but you can tell. Pricey for what you get.

Nice heated outdoor pool and poolside bar. Great restaurant with excellent food and service on site, which is rare for hotels.

• King Room with Kitchenette

There needs to be more hooks, shelves and places to store things in the bathroom...there was not even a place to hang 2 towels.

LOVED THIS HOTEL! Great amenities..modern room, lovely patio, pool bar with food service, nice restaurant, and fabulous evening bar. The staff was AMAZING...hats off to Kevin, Sean, Julie and Judy for making our stay so memorable!

• Double Room with Kitchenette

The folded hand towel in the room had smeared feces on it, obviously they do not properly clean the used linens out of the room between guests! I do not recommend this dump. The night auditer could not have cared less when told about the filthy towel.

Was given a coupon for the restaurant onsite but since it was Sunday it was closed so made no sense to give a coupon that you couldn't use. My family and I found the staff in the afternoon / late night to be put out by guests. Made us feel we were an inconvenience.

The rooms are nice and quiet with comfy beds.

Thought it was a false representation. The room did not match the pictures posted on the site. The room was part dated/part renovated. Did not feel comfortable at all.

Free parking.

Everything was great. Nothing negative to say.

The staff made the stay feel like you were in a home. The lady in the cafe in the morning. Wednesday to Sunday was brilliant. The maintenance man is hailrious and the staff at the front counter during the day so helpful. Having breakfast and evening meals was made an easy choice as opposed to going elsewhere due to the friendly atmosphere. Would always recommend to others to stay there.

• One-Bedroom King Suite

Parking for the cars were detached from the hotel but reasonably close

The room was spacious with a kitchenette. The hotel had laundry facilities and was pretty close to downtown.

Nothing negative.

No problem walking to downtown .Our room was nice,Beds comfortable. we didn't have to pay for parking. We will be back. Just to mention the waitress working at breakfast ..Hard worker,Give her a raise !!!

• Standard King Room

Needs TLC. Some areas eg laundry, stairs to laundry, lift floor and first room we were put in had cracked sink and unvacuumed floors

Location and friendliness of reception and bar staff.

The room was great, the staff very friendly and pleasant. The only thing that I didn't like was the street noise because I had the bedroom window open for ventilation during sleep.

• Double Room with Kitchenette

The bathroom was pretty worn out, and the toilet didn’t flush well. It sprayed water out every time it flushed and also wouldn’t stop running unless we jiggled the handle. The water noise from other rooms was incredibly loud but thankfully not during the night. The hotel was in a pretty seedy part of town. The lobby and elevator need repairs and updating.

The room was clean and renovated nicely. The beds were comfortable and we slept well both nights.

The walls were paper thin. You could hear everyone and anyone in proximity of your rooms door, especially anyone in the lobby. Also, whenever the room's washroom was used the noise from the pipes and plumbing was very evident.

It was in close walking distance to downtown Victoria.

Also, we parked our car in the hotel parking lot, and unfortunately it got scratched quite badly on the side by a car next to us. No phone number was left, nothing. We asked the hotel staff for cctv record for that time period, and was promised this would be sent to us, but it never happened.

The kitchen unit was a plus, with a fridge, microwave etc. But the kettles were absolutely not useable.. it was completely brown inside.

I honestly had no complaints about our stay.

The room was very clean and quite modern. The beds were comfortable and there was free parking. Very friendly staff.

• King Room with Kitchenette

It said on the internet that there was a pool, no there wasnt when we were there, that was the one reason why i chose the hotel... and also one day me and my wife left and didbt make our bed and when we came back our room was not cleaned

I liked almost everything

• Double Room with Kitchenette

No vent fan in the bathroom, so it was like a steam room after a shower. Poor lighting in the kitchen area (only one dim bulb). Only one bulb working above the table.

spacious room. Liked the kitchenette.

In room refrigerator hummed quite loudly during its cooling cycle. We could hear conversation from the room next door, almost able to make out what they were saying, and they were not being overly loud.

Room was very clean, staff were all quite pleasant. Free parking was a bonus.

• Double Room with Kitchenette

The room wasn’t clean, found an old sock beside the dresser and make up splatter on the bathroom wall. Bed was also very noisy and no hotel safety lock on the door.

I liked the location and value

• Budget Single Room

That they did not let me have the room before 3pm. I arrived around 1pm , so they told me it takes a little while before the room is ready which was correct. Then at 2pm I asked if the room is ready. Then I was told I can only check in at 3pm. Why no tell me right away ? In many hotels they let you check in earlier.

No croissants! As a person alone I felt safe. The staff was nice and helpful.

• Budget Single Room

Unfortunately there were some very noisy young men staying at that end of the hotel which made falling asleep difficult. They were slamming doors and talking loudly. No fault of the hotel. We didn't complain because they did quiet down sometime around 11 p.m., which is required as per signage at the hotel.

We were upgraded to a King room - very nice! Everything was great in the room.

• Standard King Room

The was a noise outside our window. We discovered that it was the rain when it hit the flashing??? on the window. I am a light sleeper

We found this Hotel to be a pleasant surprise. Clean, comfortable friendly staff a great little cafe. My husband and I plan on booking again when in Victoria.

• Budget Single Room

Everything. Service was great. Restaurant was wonderful. Food and staff was great. Hotel staff was very helpful and friendly. Would stay there again.

Pool deck was closed and the weather was hot but it was early in the season so understandable

Free parking and on site bar and restaurant....staff was very accommodating

• Standard King Room

Excellent location for China town end of city but a long walk to museum, inner harbour & fishermans wharf area.

Very spacious room and helpful staff.

• Budget Single Room

Noise travelled from another room when it was 11:30 at night . It kept me up.

Dining room food was very good, great location , very good value for money

• King Room with Kitchenette

The kitchennet could have been stocked a bit better. Lacked pots and pans but we managed. The neighborhood is a bit sketchy but we felt safe when walking.

Our room was clean and comfortable with a little kitchen. The staff were fantastic! Our first night the guests next to us were very loud so I complained to the front desk and they moved us to a quieter area of the hotel immediately. The rest of our stay was quiet and comfortable. The hotel is located close to China town and within walking distance to downtown shopping,parks and restaurants. The hotel has free parking in a secure lot. I like the quiet policy from 11pm-7am that is strictly enforced.

• King Room with Kitchenette

The Wi-Fi in my room was so slow; I didn't even end up using it- just had to use my data. Maybe in the business centre would've been better but I wanted to work from my room. The toilette took so long to flush; I had to hold the handle down for quite awhile.

The room was awesome; loved that it had a kitchenette! Bed was comfy and the hotel was clean. I LOVED that there was FREE parking! The location was great as well; right across from an amazing coffee spot (Discovery) and walking distance to great restaurants.

• Double Room with Kitchenette

The bed was uncomfortable. The toilet keep running for a few seconds every 30 hour or so. It was hard to get the room to a comfortable temperature. Hotel decore was out dated and really dusty in the halls and stair case.

The bed is extremely comfortable and the place is very clean and well furnished. The location is convenient and it's easy to get around either walking or by bus.

• King Room with Kitchenette

Excellent location, very close to downtown and there is a bus stop across the street. One can easily catch a bus to Butchart garden or Hatley Castle right from the hotel. The kitchenette is top notch.

• Double Room with Kitchenette

I personally prefer a firmer bed, but that's just me.

Staff were wonderfully helpful and courteous. Great location, close to downtown, and within walking distance of restaurants and shopping. Easy and convenient parking.

• Double Room with Kitchenette

The bar was uninviting, the restaurant closed at 8pm which is shortly after I arrived so I ordered food to take to my room. The food was poor.

The hotel and rooms were wonderful, very clean and comfortable.

• Budget Single Room

Did not trust the elevator so used the stairs . The bathtub was discolored ---- stains . The bathroom floor was very cold . The rooms were not sound proof . The microwave shelf was very dusty .

The bed was comfy . T.V was a nice size . We used the fridge . Our bed was made up daily and fresh towels .

• King Room with Kitchenette

The hotel is in a great location. Walking distance to so much of the city. The staff were excellent. Very clean and comfortable room with everything we needed. We were expecting the typical fridge and coffee station but there was also two burners and dishes and a microwave to our surprise.

• Double Room with Kitchenette

Man working the front desk was all business- not rude, but not welcoming. Advertised pool but not that it is seasonal. There is only one outdoor pool. Somewhere on a site it says there is an indoor pool as well. Not true.

Location was fair- close to downtown and the room was quiet.

• Double Room with Kitchenette

Could have used an extra blanket. The quilt on the bed was a bit thin and worn. I didn't think to ask for another. The area immediately around the hotel is not that interesting or nice, but it is easy walking distance to Chinatown, and not even that far from downtown.

Staff were the best - very friendly, cheerful and eager to help. The room was not huge but made good use of the space with table and chairs, a small kitchenette (stove-top, Microwave, Fridge, etc and including dishes and pots and pans. It was great for two adults not sharing a bed or for a couple and child. It might have been a bit tight for more than that. I don't normally frequent lounges but I found the one in the hotel quite relaxed, with a crowd of seeming regulars. It filled up around 5:30 but it was a quiet crowd. The server was great - very friendly and accommodating. Not fancy but nicer than most of the budget hotels nearby. and very good value for money.

The foot covers on the beds were stained...kinda gross. The bedside table had a smear of something on it so i wiped the table and the cloth had a brownish color on it.

SEE ABOVE.

THE BED WAS VERY COMPFY. THE COFFEE PROVIDED WAS QUITE NICE AND LIKED HAVING REAL CUPS AND GLASSES AS COMPARED TO PLASTIC AND PAPER CUPS. WOULD HAVE BEEN NICER TO GET CLEAN GLASSES AND CUPS FOR THE SECOND NIGHT OF OUR STAY. WE ONLY GOT THEM BECAUSE I REQUESTED THEM. EATERIES ON SITE WERE VERY GOOD, THE BREAKFAST WAITRESS WAS EXCELLENT . WE WILL DEFINITELY BE BACK.

• Double Room with Kitchenette

What a great little find! Completely refurbished with a perfect kitchenette, fully stocked with plates, pans, etc. We booked to attend an event at the arena and it’s in perfect walking distance, one block away. Very quiet hotel, clean and comfortable. Just on the edge of downtown and the harbour, a 10-15 minute walk away. Great value.

• Budget Single Room

The only issue was that wifi in my room always worked to get my email but did not consistently work to support internet searches

Because I was there for several days my room was upgraded at no extra cost. I unexpectedly had the facilities to prepare simple meals. Room was quite large and king size bed very comfortable. Location at north end of downtown made it a substantial but doable walk to the harbour area. Location right on Douglas St. Gave easy access to many buses. Was able to catch bus to airport, ferry and other places only 1/2 block from the hotel and staff were very helpful in providing directions, bus numbers and looking up schedules.

The check-in was smooth and quick, parking was great, and the rooms were very clean, quiet, and comfortable. The staff is very friendly and helpful. This hotel is also walking distance from downtown Victoria.

Bathroom toilet was running water and random flushing. I let front desk know—no changes were completed. Shower/tub a bit outdated- A bit of mold in corners.

I was disappointed that the pool was shutdown for maintenance. Didn’t see anything in website with Expedia stating the shutdown. This was one of the biggest reasons for booking with Capital city.

• Double Room with Kitchenette

The heater could of been quieter.

Good, home made food. Excellent staff everywhere - friendly, smiling helpful. Restaurant and bar had reasonable prices.

• Double Room with Kitchenette

Would it be possible to prepare a bit of salt or cooking oil at the kitchen or accessible from the front desk?

It's a step away from Chinatown and bus station. The small kitchen has full basic cooking staff. Great location, very nice staff !

• King Room with Kitchenette

Cleanliness lacking...previous occupant's condom wrapper left on the floor in between bedside table and bed! Disgusting! There was a lot of construction noise...hammering...vulgar construction workers could be heard outside our window...no view...it was all construction materials ...room was run down...tub enamel coming off...generally felt unclean...

The bed was comfortable

• Double Room with Kitchenette

The entry cards that were given to us weren’t working, we went to the front desk at least 6 times because we couldn’t open the door. It was overall too dim in the room even with all the lights turned on and the one light fixture by the bedside was far too bright in one spot which was very glaring.

The decor was simple and nice, comfortable beddings

• Budget Single Room

Nothing really, wondered why the place had some mosquitoes so early into Spring but there was a standup fan so that saved their bacon. Oh yes, I was using the A/C and heater. There was a coffee stain but this was the Easter weekend and likely to be corrected. They ask for feedback too. Upscale.

the location was premium and had parking allowing the guest to walk to all location within the downtown core. In summer there is a pool and pool bar, was there for Victoria Day last year and it was great, I paid up for the king room. The sheets were changed 24/7 and for the environmentally conscious, efforts to save the planet were all over the place. They try to be green.

• Double Room with Kitchenette

The "only" tiny thing was the constant flutuation between scalding and icy temperatures of the water during a shower. Have stayed in the hotel before and will again.

Loved that the waitress acknowledged the eastet sunday holiday, popped on a bunny head and offered a basket ofchocolate eggs for everyone to pick a piece. Totally appreciated the coffee and tea in the lovely kitchenette.

• King Room with Kitchenette

Pool needed to be cleaned and looked very gross as we could see it directly from our room (was completely green) we realize it wasn’t being used to but it wasn’t appealing to look out and see. There was quite a few homeless people lingering near the hotel.

• Double Room with Kitchenette

No milk in the fridge; only powdered creamer supplied. The toilet got stuck when flushing (very noisy and tricky to fix), bad selection of tea, no decaf coffee or hot chocolate. Lift amazingly slow.

Clean and tidy, good location. Easy to walk around. Good parking.

• Double Room with Kitchenette

Shower grout was very dirty. Orange and black with fungus and mould. I told the front desk staff and wrote it down on the comments card and handed that into the desk and it still didn’t get cleaned during our stay. It needs to be scrubbed and bleached. The tables were also dirty when we checked into the room and I had to wipe things down. If your a clean freak this probably isent the best choice for you but if your willing to overlook those kind of details then it’s a good hotel for the price.

Pillows and beds are great Kitchenette great Room size is good and comfortable Location great Free parking is excellent

cleanliness and housekeeping are lacking. The room, especially the bathroom isn't properly cleaned and maintained, e.g. found used soap, hair, juice bottle scattered around.

• King Room with Kitchenette

In keeping with the environmental wishes of the hotel (and our own values), we hung up our towels each day so they wouldn't get changed out. Our stay was for three nights, which was fine with us. Got to our room on the third afternoon to find they had changed out all the linens and we were leaving early the next morning. The night manager was very understanding and made a note to staff. Water is a precious resource.

Such a great location! We walked all over the downtown, the Victoria Market, China Town, the wharf, took a water taxi. It was great to come back to the room mid day to rest our legs, make our own coffee and warm up a treat. Rather than eat out every day we stayed in one night and used the kitchen. We were upgraded when we arrived and were in a recently renovated room with a kitchenette. Perfect!

House cleaning left all dirty dishes in sink instead of replacing with clean-glasses, coffee mugs, and bowls. Pool was closed but it was March. No fault of the property but be aware that the nearby Save-On-Foods is actually a hockey arena haha!

Room came with lots of dishes, cups, and large fridge. Lots of room. Full control over heat for when it got cold. Very clean.

• Deluxe Junior Suite with Kitchenette

Very little, it was an enjoyable 5 days, that if we were ever in the neighborhood again, would definitely be staying here!

We enjoyed the generosity of the staff, who did everything they could to make our stay as pleasant as it was humanly possible.

• King Room with Kitchenette

Would have liked to have our room cleaned in morning not the late afternoon. Perhaps a room cleaning card would helpIt was enjoyable and within walking

We liked the cleanliness and the comfort as well as a good restaurant

The rooms are not sound proof at all. I was travelling with my 65 years old aunt that has hearing problems and we needed to talk a little louder and 1 of the staff member came to my door at 1045 and told us that they had a complaint. He was really rude about it. He could also had call us because as 2 females travelling alone, there is no way I would answer the door to a stranger. I travel alot and never had a complaint before because I talked to loud.....

THe beds were confortable. Renovated rooms

Cleanliness not bad. Your staff needs more training of guest professionalism and guest interaction.

I like the place . But the only thing I’m not satisfied and disappointed and I upset so much is the front desk person Gerry he don’t know to deal with guest request and upset guest. And turning you back shouting me infront of my room it’s so annoying at and unprofessional doing for front desk person to his guest I really disappointed for him for doing that to me. He’s not going his job instead of explaining to to me who’s really upset waiting my request of spoon and pork that night that takes of 30 minutes of waiting. And he call me and demanding me to pick my request to him at the front desk because I had DND sign in my room . After more minutes I call him begging to deliver my request immediately cause I’m about took my dinner it takes 30 waiting again my request. If your in part what do are you happy? I’m very upset that moment. Now Gerry arrived bringing this plastic spoon and pork in my room. Embarrassed me in-front of my room with his load voice at mad at at me instead of explaining and turning me back he’s shouting at the hallway . His very unprofessional and unethical person that I ether meet in my hotel stay in ever. He’s not good example for the hotel ambassador for that kind of attitude is zero rate for me his totally failed for my experience and expectations to my stay in this hotel. And not highly recommended my friends. Sorry to say this Gerry needs more guest interaction, unprofessional, unreliable, unethical . He needs to evaluate again because for me I don’t want this kind of staff in my team. Sorry to say I’m just only a housekeeping manager of one of the hotels here in Canada stay for that night. But my stay in your hotel is a worst nightmare I ever had.

• Standard King Room

Paper thin walls we could hear the person's TV in the room clearly had to put in earplugs to sleep

I loved the location, nice balcony/deck , comfortable bed. Well appointed bathroom

• Standard King Room

The staff are super friendly, and very helpful. I was here for 5 nights and a couple remembered my name :) I have stayed here before in Feb and will stay here agin on my next trip to Victoria. Great hotel and great location!!

• Double Room with Kitchenette

I believe they didn't advertise the hours for the pool well enough. Travelling with a 9 year old I booked this hotel because they had a pool, after searching the website finding no exclusions we arrived and were told it was seasonal, very disappointing.

The location yo downtown was absolutely amazing.

• Budget Single Room

At first glance, not sure. But comfortable , very clean room, updated bathroom, very friendly, helpful staff. Breakfasts were wonderful . Parking free, and convenient. Good location if you are able to walk long distances.

• Double Room with Kitchenette

Staff are good except for two person but I don't know their name, a guy when I check in the hotel he's not smiling ( I thought that's how Victorians people are), and the lady during the night I say hi to her but say nothing back. but that's no big deal to me, as I said maybe most people there are like that. Overall Hotel are Very Good and close to Legislative Building, Chinatown, Downtown. Thanks Capital City Hotel, I would love to come back to that next time.

• Budget Single Room

Staff were amazing,superior customer service,we booked for a simple room,we asked the staff for a different room,they gave us free upgrade with,microwave,kettle,fridge and cooking facilities Thanks!

Beds that don't sink in, internet that actually works, the air was stale and mildew.

No internet connection! The beds were not good quality. The tv was not that functional. And three were few amenities

There were a few things that we disliked. The temperature of the room was VERY cold and we could out heater did not seem to work. The hot water in the shower was not consistent and would change randomly. There was a loud hum if the sink in our room or in the room next to us was in use.

The location was great. The hotel was close to downtown, we were able to walk to the Royal BC museum and food locations. The staff was helpful. We enjoyed having the microwave in the room. and the coffee maker.

• Double Room with Kitchenette

The Wifi is a bit shotty.

The rooms were clean. Kitchenette was great. The hotel is super close to downtown, 10 minutes walking. We would absolutely would return to city center hotel

• Double Room with Kitchenette

A very comfortable room and great bed. The kitchenette was perfect for making a light breakfast. The staff was very accommodating, professional and friendly. We could tell this was a hotel that was very well managed. We stayed for a week and it was a pleasure.

• Double Room with Kitchenette

Wifi connection was terrible.

Only used the room for sleeping. Was able to log into wifi on my devices, but that's as far as it would take me... Connection was too terrible to be of any use. Very frustrating if on business. Great location downtown.

• Double Room with Kitchenette

Their parking across the street was quite full on the weekend, but found out later that they had extra parking just behind the hotel which may have been more convenient in the rainy weather.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, the bartender Julie was great! The food was great and not expensive, quite good value all around. I stayed 3 nights and would definitely stay there again when visiting Victoria. Would highly recommend this hotel because of their location, staff and good value!

• Standard King Room

Pretty much everything met my expectations.

1. Restaurant had a good menu with lots of selections for every meal. 2. For dinner, I had Baby Back Spare Ribs, and twice baked potato. The ribs were some of the best I've tasted in 15 years!

• King Room with Kitchenette

Last time we stayed in what I thought was the same accomodation but this one lacked the great adjacent outdoor space and was smaller so somewhat disappointed.

Close to downtown. Nice kitchenette. Comfortable room. Good restaurant.

• Standard King Room

The walls seemed a bit thin... we could hear the rumble of voices in the room next to ours even when we had the TV on and the air conditioner blowing.

Great location, and free parking is a nice amenity in a hotel this close to downtown.

• King Room with Kitchenette

Rain dropping loundly on the a/c- heat outside all night, was a bit of a challenge to sleep. And the hotel common spaces would need a little refresh (elevator mostly).

Very good location, renewed confortable rooms, good value.