Reviews of Travelodge by Wyndham Nanaimo 2 stars

#8 of 19 hotels in Nanaimo

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Poor
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The room was a joke. We used Booking.com. Thus we got a tiny room behind the stairs. When we were told it was a queen room. That was almost funny. You had almost have to go out into the hall to turn around.

The door that we left by

Fine for an overnight atay. But seriously needs to be modernized and made to feel more welcoming.

The whole hotel despite being very clean was very worn and in need of updating. Lots of nicks and scrapes on doors and in the hallway. Outdated carpets and not enough sound barer from the traffic near by. Continental breakfast did not have enough healthy and nutritious choices.

Clean and convenient location. Friendly staff

Superb location and value!

Breakfast was quite basic.

The location was perfect. Only a couple of minutes from Horshoe Bay ferry terminal, very close to Seawall, and easy walk to the park/downtown area. Very spacious room and most accommodating staff! Excellent value also compared to other hotels in the downtown core.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

I would recommend this hotel to others!
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

It was awesome that they take pets. The breakfast muffins were yummy. The staff was super friendly. The location was close for all the things we needed to do throughout the week. We had access to a computer and printer, which was nice. And they also had a washer and dryer, which we needed as we were there for quite a while.

Location was good
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I was charged more than on the booking. At the check in I was told that there was not dog friendly room available although I submitted the request in the booking.com special request section. Took forever, got a room at the end but was charged more. Not amused. Overall, nothing fancy.

Location was good

Fair price.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

If your room is above the parking lot, you have to deal with cigarette smoke continuously filling your balcony

Fair price. Friendly staff. Clean room. Comfortable bed. Great location, walked all along the water front. Would stay again.

The location was excellent and the breakfast waffles were...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

It was gross that they had a smoking area right outside of the front door. You had no choice except to walk thur all the cigarette smoke to get into the building and there were cigarette butts littered all over the front area.

The location was excellent and the breakfast waffles were good.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

It is fine for a couple of nights but not super restful with respect to sleeping due to the noise.

The non-smoking room smelled of stale smoke and Febreze air/fabric freshener. A small pot on the balcony had been used for cigarette butts. The air conditioning unit was noisy and the amount of cold air it blew directly at one of the beds could only be turned down so much, so we shut it off and left the sliding balcony door open a few inches for fresh air, but then got the full brunt of traffic noise which seemed to last all night long. Whenever the occupants of the suite above us and possibly next to us ran water, the sound of the running water added to the noise level.

Staff were very friendly and accommodating. The unit was clean and had all the amenities needed for our stay.

The stay was good. The location was nice.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

The hotel smelled like it used to be a smoking hotel; and our room had a faint odour. The coffee could have been better (I changed it and used my instant coffee mix)

The staff were very nice and the cleaning staff were thoughtful enough to put out toothbrushes into a cup (I'd left them on the counter). The breakfast lady was very nice and there were waffles!! After making an initial mistake with out reservation the front desk staff worked until they found a resolution that worked with out family and our budget.

Great location, and relatively comfortable and safe area.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Smelly shower curtain, breakfast room super small and crowded, and carpets in the hallways looked really dirty.

For the price we expected a little better (we're from Houston, TX). This is really your typical US-style "motel". The lady at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. We were on the second floor, there is no elevator, so you have to carry your bags up the stairs. We found a dirty sock under the desk chair. The laundry room was also the office for the housekeeping lady, so we couldn't use the table for folding clothing, because that was her desk. The breakfast was simple, but adequate, cereals, juices, waffles, bagels, hardboiled eggs, etc. Great coffee. The room was relatively clean, the beds comfortable. The bathroom shower curtain smelled of mildew. The bonus was the proximity to the Waterfront, about five minutes, as well as the little downtown.

Good breakfast, waffles, yogourt, bagels and more.

Good for one night.

Good breakfast, waffles, yogourt, bagels and more. Close to Horseshoe Bay. Walking distance to the marina. Lots of parking and accommodating staff.

A pleasant stay
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

The front desk clerk on check out could have made eye contact. All other clerks at all times where brilliant

I liked the room I was allocated, as they had fulfilled my request on booking.

A great stay.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I would have preferred not to have had a ground floor room, but I have learned from the establishment how to remedy this in the future.

Close to the ferry, food outlets, downtown and the continental breakfast. Also guest laundry on site. Friendly and responsive staff.

adequate but definitely not worth the amount paid :(

a little more effort put into breakfast (different kinds of milk, gluten free foods) the carpets were damp and old the balcony could do with better furniture access to drinking water

free coffee at the check-in counter beds were comfy linens seemed clean lots of towels

Comfy bed and hotel near to where we had to visit.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Curtain sheers were beginning to tatter because of the sun. Bath room sink was slow to drain and needed a good clean our. Reported both observations to the staff who recorded them.

Comfy bed and hotel near to where we had to visit.Very friendly and accommodating staff.

Gym pass included

Came outside to find a huge dent in the side of my bmw . No camera on front of property. Parking stall too close .paid 800 out of my own pocket to get body work done.

Gym pass included

Clean and quite
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Beds where not that comfortable. We did change rooms but it still was not great. The breakfast was good but the breakfast room was small so a bit tight when getting your breakfast in the morning. But it was clean and well stocked.

Nice room had everything you needed. Clean and quite and a good size. Staff very friendly and helpful.

Nice place great location

The air conditioner made sound but didn't work well so we left the patio door open.i slept well but my husband and son work up with sore backs.one mattress was fairly worn on one side

Loved having glass cups not plastic. Was very clean and the location excellent good choices for the breakfast

not worth the short drive to the ferry
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

busy location; the hotel sits on a triangle of land - directly in front is a gas station, and one busy road on either side of it. we asked for upper floor and were put on ground floor with parking lot view/noise/gas station right outside the large window. not accommodating. small outdated bathroom. too expensive.

less than 5 minute drive to ferry

Nice hotel that we have used before
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Check-in staff very officious and wrong about the need for photo ID. It's NOT a legal requirement - it's tick box mentality which is not their fault of course but the attitude needs to be toned down .

Clean and comfortable room

Good value - really good location!

Reasonable priced. Great parking & a short walk to the harbour. The staff were really welcoming, friendly & helpful in suggesting things to do during our stay. Bed was comfortable and liked that we had a microwave & fridge in the room.

It was a disaster, very unpleasanr
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

We reserved a room that allowed for a quiet, clean cat. We were told that there were none available on the first and gave us a room on the 2nd floor. We moved in after paying for the room; then were informed that we could not bring our cat in. We asked what should we do then - it was too hot to leave our cat in our car. We left the room not asking for a reimbursement; the staff were hostile and unhelpful.

Room was pleasant

Fit for purpose!

Not having a lift to the first floor - not helpful for luggage!

A good place to stop over for the night breaking up a long drive - friendly staff, clean and simple breakfast. Thx

There wasn’t anything to not like.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

There wasn’t anything to not like. I had put a request for main floor as I have a new knee and cannot do stairs. Not only did they keep me on main floor but had me close to reception area. Very attentive

Clean and comfortable room, nice staff, good parking
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I booked last minute and checked in at 1 am...the receptionist was very friendly and professional and went out of her way to help me. The rooms were way nicer than I expected for the price and for a travel lodge. Very clean and comfortable. Good parking, convenient location. I have no complaints on this place! Didn't stick around for breakfast as I was out early, but it was ready at 6:30 When I was leaving and it looked nice...i grabbed a yummy muffin on my way out the door.

OK value, decent accommodation and nice staff; shame about the breakfast.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast (included in price) was described as "good breakfast". I would say it was the bare minimum to avoid being called a "poor breakfast" . Unimaginative, limited choice; dreary breakfast room.

Easy to get, convenient place. Restaurants nearby.

Booking.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Booking.com screwed up my dates of travel and spelled my name wrong. Luckley they were not over booked and the friendly staff at the Travelodge were able to accomadate me.

Travelogde expectation, no way to get disappointed

Window's balcony didn't block the cold to come in but the heather worked well so really nothing to complain.

Waffles and eggs was a winner fo breakfast, nice pillows, great shower.

Ruined by other guests.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The walls are SUPER thin. Not the hotel's fault but the couple in the room next to us had a fight in the middle of the night and we heard every word. We alerted the front desk but they didn't really do much. The ceiling was also thin which is rare for hotels I have stayed in. It is good value for your money and they try really hard to be a nice hotel, but the design and type of other guests they attract make it a disappointing stay.

Staff and Breakfast

Pleasant up front and all the amenities in the room to have a comfortable rest.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I do wish there was a restaurant on site (however there very well could have been I just didn't bother investigating into it very much)- they do offer discounts at a variety of different restaurants though - so it makes up for it.

The front desk agent (Gerald - sorry if that's wrong) is a gem! He was so lovely when I called him on the phone in regards to an early check in (due to arriving earlier then expected) and even more pleasant when I actually arrived. The hotel is a bit older and dated, but it's totally clean and comfortable. Great staff up it's value immensely!

Fairly good value for our stay.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The building in very noisy. You can hear every movement of everyone around you.

The breakfast was very good with lots to choose from. Staff was friendly and helpful.

Subpar for the price.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Our refrigerator was stolen and we had a baby that required supplies to be cold, therefore we used our ice bucket filled with ice for baby supplies. The room could have also been cleaner- missing a baseboard along the wall beside the bed, coffee pot needed to be cleaned.... and, if staff didn't notice a missing fridge, what else was missed?

Friendly staff and great continental breakfasf

Hotel was a little out of the way. Nice place. Booking.com took my joy out of the stay
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Booking.com screwed up the reservation I clicked on tonight and it booked the next night. We had to pay more for our room than quoted by booking.com.

Excellent Value for Money
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

It was a lovely surprise to receive a free upgrade from a queen room to a king room. The room was very nice and clean with a comfortable bed. The continental breakfast was nice and plentiful. The reception staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

Really enjoyed my stay in Nanaimo and had a great sleep to get me ready for a busy next day!
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The welcome was personalized and nice and easy (which was appreciated after a long trip) location worked great for me and the continental breakfast was enough to get me ready for the day!

Well equipped and we will be sure to check in with Travelodge when we visit Nanaimo again.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The hotel was close to the family members we were visiting, so easy to get around. Tho we didn't use it, great to see the coffee maker, small frig in the room

Good location and clean, comfortable, reasonably priced accommodations
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

It's a bit hard to get to the parking lot when coming from the north as there is no left turn.

Room was clean and quiet. Bed was comfy. No trouble connecting to WIFI here.

Overall clean, friendly, affordable place to stay.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Road construction started at 7am it was very loud. I could hear people above me coughing all night moving chairs walking until all hours. Which kePt me awake all night too. I did turn the music channel on low to try to muffle some of it. Bathroom fans very loud I could hear other rooms. Someone smoking pot drifting in the hallway.

Breakfast was good. Made the waffles w a glass of orange juice and a coffee to go was all I needed.

Staff was friendly and helpful.

Outdated building, very little noise insulation, very small tub and toilet was very low to the floor.

Staff was friendly and helpful. The beds were comfortable.

Great value. Now our favourite for the area.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The bed was slightly "sloping to the middle. It could be firmer/newer. The hotel is a bit hard to see. We have had to back track a bit in order to find the driveway in.

The towels were better than I expected big and fluffy. A good range of breakfast offerings with a very helpful, cheerful breakfast attendant. The breakfast room had windows and was appealing. Everything was clean and in good repair. We liked the balcony. But be aware the very noisy city garbage truck does its rounds at 8 AM on a Tuesday morning. Room has a mini fridge, microwave and coffee maker. Parking is pretty easy.

was disappointed over the location -in between 2 busy streets and no scenic view
    • Deluxe Double Studio with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

No elevator to 2nd floor; we had to change rooms. "balcony" overlooks service station.we disappointed over the location

comfortable beds. Pleasant breakfast room

Handy for the ferry
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast room was tiny so ended up grabbing a muffin and taking it back to our room to eat. Weird. Plus the walls are pretty thin so it wasn't exactly peaceful. Not so loud we couldn't sleep but not brilliant.

Handy for the ferry

Comfortable and spacious with helpful staff
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast service used paper plates and plastic knives....real ones would have been better

Super room, spacious and everything necessary provided. Comfy bed.

Will never come back nor will ever recommend

At check in I had to wait over a minute for the lady to acknowledge me while she was speaking with another counter staff member in another room. It came across as super rude. The smell in the room was disgusting, old and odd. The fridge made some high pitch noise as it ran all night and it was so warm in the room all night even with the fan on cold and high. I was trying to make an outside call, over and over again and I finally called the front desk to ask what I was doing wrong and she then told me to wait two minutes so she could activate our phone line???! Both beds were broken in the middle. My husband actually had to request another room because there is no way he could sleep on the broken bed on his side. Our daughter was so exhausted that she slept on the broken side of her bed. Top of the shower had dust all along it.

Not much other then the breakfast lady was super efficient and lovely.

Great location, good breakfast, excellent value for money.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Lobby is a little faded but staff really friendly

Great location, good breakfast, excellent value for money. Lovely walk around harbour and to downtown easily accessible. Hotel trying to reduce waste with real glasses in room and reusable plates at breakfast.

For a short stay travelling the Travelodge works.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

the hotel is older and needs some repairs and definitely needs updating - it is obvious that staff though work hard at keeping it clean

the staff were helpful and friendly - bed was great not to hard, not to soft

We all agreed that it was fine for that one night; but we wouldn't book it again.

From the moment we arrived, we were aware that this property was pretty run down, and not at all the image that was portrayed in the photo. The entrance was not welcoming; people (guests? staff?) from the hotel were sitting around the front entry smoking. Inside, it just didn't smell very good - - a bit old and musty. The hallways were dark. The room was small. It all just felt old and run down.

We liked the breakfast, and the staff at the desk were very nice.

The breakfast had a lot of choice and was constantly being...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The breakfast had a lot of choice and was constantly being refilled. There was coffee available on reception all the time however, no tea was available

Simple, but nice breakfast included.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Decor in corridors and entrance hall dated. Lift only goes to top floor

Simple, but nice breakfast included. Good, cheap room for a 1 night stop over whilst passing through. Close to shops and waterfront.

Excellent.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

I would like to have bug screens on the balcony door.

Linens, i.e. were laid out perfectly. I especially liked the pillows in the bed. The most comfortable I've ever experienced. I'm even arranging my pillows because I find this so comfortable. Breakfast had an excellent selection, something for everyone! . The lady who cleaned the room said she really enjoyed doing what she did.

Great place one block from waterfront park - pet friendly!
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Only one entrance. Would've been nice to go out side door, but not a big deal. FYI, the hotel doesn't look really great from the outside, but they've remodeled it inside and it was very nice.

Spacious room in a great location. We were able to walk to the waterfront with a lovely park and numerous restaurants. They welcomed our dog and gave us a doggy 'kit' for while there, which included some dog biscuits & poop bags, as well as a couple pet towels & blanket.

Location was good.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The breakfast room was too small to accommodate even a small amount of travellers.

Location was good. Walking distance to restaurants and walking trail around harbor.

Competent and very friendly staff. The breakfast room is incredibly small and too crowded.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The breakfast room is extremely small and crowded. We had to take our breakfast to the room, which hopefully was nearby.

Excellent aand really daring staff. Clean and easy to use facilities. Good location

I would stay here again
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Parking was a bit tricky to find, but we did get a spot. I wonder if there is enough parking on-site?

Everything was clean and comfortable Staff friendly and smiling in the early morning

Location convienent

Air conditioner small

Location convienent Air conditioning unit too small for room and because it's summer ,room was barely cool.Bed mattress was not comfortable.otherwise ok for one to 2 nights stay.

Comfortable and would definitely stay here again.

The breakfast area was too small and cramped. Could have used some more tables in there.

The room was bigger than most and breakfast had a good variety of foods on offer. Had a restful night as it was very quiet and peaceful. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Was pleasant and well located for us.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The setup in the breakfast room. We had to walk back and forth, getting in other peoples way, and vice versa, to get our food. The counter didn't seem to be setup in a easy flow manner. In other words starting at on end and progressing to the other end.

Bed was comfy, pillows to firm for us. Breakfast room quite small, with 6 tables. Our first morning was very busy for breakfast. Second morning less so. We were right next to the stairs and it was very quiet with no one running up or down the stairs.

Very friendly, caring staff. Older building but has always been clean when we've been there.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Somehow communication didn't make it we had a dog and almost didn't get in. They say they have situations like that frequently when someone books online instead of calling direct.

We'd hoped for a little larger room (pet friendly) but booked thru booking.com which will never do again.

Well done Travelodge!
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The staff took extra care to ensure that we were comfortable. The room was clean, cool and had a light and the tv on to make it feel cozy. We were leaving very early to catch the ferry so the woman at the desk offered us muffins and made us coffee at 4:30 in the morning. Well done Travelodge!

Great value for money
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Reception area and stairs look a bit worn Could do with revamp. Also no lift to second floor

Comfortable clean room. Great value for money. Close to pretty waterfront area with restaurants etc. Breakfast simple but ok

Location for access to downtown and waterfront is perfect.

Pillows - a mixture of firm and soft pilowsnwould be good. They were too hard and thick for me. Doorframes and trim could use a refresh.

Location for access to downtown and waterfront is perfect. Mattesses and boxsprings were in mattress bags.

We've stayed here 3 years in a row.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

From the moment we arrived in our room, barely no water in the toilet to flush. Then when we did flush, the water rose to the very top of the bowl, nearly flooding. We called the front desk, they said to come pick up the plunger. I thought it rude to be plunging a toilet before we used it. ugh. First morning we woke to a wake up call we requested, second morning, they forgot our wake up call.

The staff are very nice and helpful. Great location for access to the harbour and downtown.

Great little Travelodge
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Everything was adequate for our needs.

Very clean, quiet area, friendly staff. I loved that pets were allowed at the hotel, even though I didn't bring my dogs. Easy access to marina and walking trails.

Too expensive

The price for the accommodation is too high. The elevator is scary the hallways are very hot and stuffy. Some of the staff was not all that accommodating. We asked for 2 extra chairs for the small deck and one was brought to us as if we were putting them out.

The beds were comfy.

They are doing a great job maintaining the rooms.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

It's a little crowded in the room with all the furniture. You could almost do without the desk and office chair.

They are doing a great job maintaining the rooms. The bathroom was spotless. A flat screen tv and microwave and fridge were not items we expected to see in the room.

Terrible, not worth your time or money

Everything. The price was expensive for the room. The room was a dump. Ripped carpet old and not updated. The ironing board was broken, paint was peeling off the walls, the beds were springy. And the staff was pretty confused on proper procedure. I would never recommend this place. It's a $50/night hotel dressed up as a $125/night hotel on the outside. Will never go back, also their free breakfast was garbage too

Would stay here again

The breakfast was lacking and the pet deposit is none refundable even if there's no damage.

Good location. We stayed here because it's a pet friendly hotel. The water front is just across the road which was great for walking our dog. The staff were friendly and helpful. They also provide pet packages for your stay which I thought was really nice. The rooms are clean and the beds are very comfortable.

It's ok and could be better!
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

An update generally is needed, all the decoration etc looks tired. We did not check out breakfast so can't comment, bathroom upgrades would be appreciated

The room was clean and comfy the hotel is very dated and could use some love

our room was not made up - the bed still was how we left it...

our room was not made up - the bed still was how we left it in the morning. They did not replace the coffee we drank and they did not replace any glassess or supply additional soaps. Overall value for the money was very poor.

Nice stop over break before catching the ferry.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The breakfast area was very small. Too small for this size of hotel therefore it was not possible to get a table easily. Had to wait 5 minute.

The beds were comfortable. The rooms were clean and of a nice size. The hotel accommodated my requests for the rooms to be on the ground floor. Great location for the ferry port.

When visiting Nanaimo, this is a great place to stay !
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Nothing comes to mind of a negative nature. I lucked out that the construction going on next door had stopped by the time I got to the hotel, and they were off for the weekend. The hotel staff had thought ahead though, and provided ear-plugs for any guests affected.

The room was very quiet, and comfortable. It was a warm day, but the thoughtfully had the a/c on at a comfortable level, so the room was cool for sleep. The staff were friendly and helpful.

The bed was super comfy and the room very clean
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

unfortunately there was construction going on all night on the road next to the hotel but that would not deter us from returning

The bed was super comfy and the room very clean

Great value downtown Nanaimo
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Very good value for a hotel beside harbour walkway and walking distance to everything downtown. The breakfast was very good and it was great to see reusable plates and bowls there. The room was smallish but had everything we needed including a fridge.

Nice place bad night

The construction zone

Construction outside all night. Had to keep fans and a/c on so not to hear drilling and grading. Should have offered our money back so we could go elsewhere

The property was located in a good location easy in and out.

The interior of the hotel could use and update

The property was located in a good location easy in and out. The beds were very comfortable with lots of pillows. The interior of the rooms were much more updated then the hotel lobby ect. Bathrooms a bit small but what can you do? No biggie. There was a balcony view not much but can't ask for that's when you are in the middle of town. It was surprisingly quiet. The staff were very nice. They had lots of staff on the following day so o imagine you don't wait long for anything or for you question to answered . We missed the breakfast which was included in our room rate. Room was a good value as well. I would stay again especially for An event because location was great and not noisy at all!