Reviews of The Westin Grand, Vancouver 4 stars

433 Robson Street, V6B 6L9 Vancouver, Canada

#40 of 87 hotels in Vancouver

• Reviewed: 16 October 2018

Par Excellent, it really was. I needed a break gym the open 24 hrs, sauna, room service was great.
    • Premier Suite

I had such a positive experience I would have to think hear about that.

I was a little early I asked if I could go to my suite earl I y told yes. I was upgraded and all the staff was friendly and helpful with directions.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

Sickmaking
    • Premier Room with Two Queen Beds

Could not open any window! So no fresh air (Airco was there, but that is always bad air) - abd bad for the enviroment! Get sick of it! Avoid hotels where it isn't possible to open a window!

Around the swimingpool

Modern room with plenty of space.
    • Premier Suite with View

The pool and spa looked a little dated and the changing facilities were quite basic. Overpriced for what it was.

Modern room with plenty of space. Great view of the city and perfect location. Coffee machine and fridge in room.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

Great rooftop pool!
    • Premier Suite

There needed to be more information in the room about practical stuff like how to use the shower (it wasn't obvious) and how to use the pool (it's opening hours etc...). This would have saved us calling down to ask.

The view was amazing and the bed was comfy.

Staying at the Westin always makes our overnights in Vancouver so much better.
    • Premier Suite

This is petty, but we found the bathroom mirror light too bright. I guess it would be good for makeup application though.

The bed and pillows are very comfortable and supportive. We had amazing cocktails and charcuterie at Hendricks. Really like the restaurant reno since we last stayed. All staff we encountered were fantastic. When staying in Vancouver, we always stay at the Westin.

Expensive hotel with no real added value.
    • Premier Room with Two Queen Beds

We asked for interconnecting rooms on booking (1st December 2017) on arrival were told they had non-available and we needed to give more notice? More than 7 months? answer yes. Lifts did not work and one was out of service which meant very long delays waiting for the lift. It is expensive, so really you are paying for a reasonable location and reasonable rooms which you can get in other hotels in the city from experience - So in terms of value for money - Poor.

Great Location for a visit to Vancouver - Pretty Central for most areas. Rooms are good and clean and comfortable.

Positive memory of my stay in Vancouver.
    • Premier Room with Two Queen Beds and View

I booked this hotel through Booking.com but my reservation did not show up in the hotel's system. However the staff was very helpful and was quick to rectify this problem and I was able to get my room which had been paid via booking.com. Excellent location, very convenient and the room was bright and clean.

A phenomenal hotel in a phenomenal location
    • Premier Suite with View

Leaving. I did not like leaving.

Easily, one of the best hotels I'v ever staid at (and that's coming from someone who travels for work!) Location could not be more central; customer service was on point; the room was large and very clean; the view - stunning. This is smack in the middle of all the action, so it's super safe and clean.

Functional, great location. Not an inviting atmosphere in the common areas.
    • Premier Room with Two Queen Beds and View

Lobby and bar area very small and not attractive. Building is super narrow and tall. It like a functional, spare European business hotel. Not great if you want a place to hang out with a group of friends. The elevators were really slow. One was under construction so we were using service elevator. But even if they get one of their two main elevators online it will still probably be slow.

Rooms nice. Beds very comfortable

Not really good value for money. Not up to par with other Weston Hotels I’ve stayed in.
    • Premier Room with Two Queen Beds

The lights in the room were dependent on master switches but they weren’t very user friendly. The bathroom fan wouldn’t turn off. If the bathroom light was on, so was the fan. The room was dusty.

The staff far exceeded my expectations from check in to check out. They were attentive, friendly and helpful.

Wonderful despite the rain.
    • Premier Room with Two Queen Beds and View

Bed sheets were weird. The comforter was folded down half-way, but inside two flat sheets and then there was another comforter on top of that. Mattress was lumpy.

The location was centrally located to many tourist attractions and it was easy to get around.

Great location but limited facilities
    • Premier Suite

Only one lift working because other was being renovated. In a hotel this size there should be more lifts. You had to wait a very long time to get lift. The lobbby area was very small.

Central lication

Won't return.
    • Premier Room with Two Queen Beds and View

Only 1 elevator working and the working elevator never let you know what floor it was on. This was a big inconvenience considering all the people in the hotel! The food was sub-standard, especially coming from the day before staying at Westin Seattle, this was a terrible disappointment.

Beds were comfortable and we liked the overall room amenities.

The elevator was under renovation.
    • Premier Suite

The elevator was under renovation. Totally unacceptable as 10 minute waits and even using service elevator. Hotel should be discounted during this period and customers told

Poor and unhappy
    • Premier Room with One Queen Bed and View

Elevators were broken and had to take the stairs and I was on the 31st floor. No sign on the door and waited for over an hour for someone to come and unlock the service elevator. Which made me late for my course I was there for. Also no mini fridge in the room.

The staff was excellent.
    • Premier Suite

Unfortunately the elevators are being replaced and all guests were forced to line up (along with staff) for one service elevator serving 31 floors.

The staff was excellent.

For the price of the stay we weren’t impressed at all.
    • Executive Suite with Balcony

Elevators were out of order or took forever. Police kicked our door in after they were fed some misguided info and going to the wrong room in the middle of the night. Woke me and my wife up from a dead sleep at midnight. Turns out they were about 3 floors lower than the room they should’ve went to actually was.

Overall it was a comfortable clean stay and I didn’t want to leave.
    • Premier Suite

There was a lot of charges such as wifi which I didn’t appreciate that we were charged for because we only stayed 1 night and there was 2 of us using the wifi.

The room was beautiful and comfortable and clean, staff was also very kind and helpful

Close to Rogers arena and cool places downtown. I would stay here again

What I just said above ... elevator issues

Elevator was inconvienant .. was under construction from oct to April .. so waiting forever for the service elevator was terrible.. I forgot something in room and didn’t go back because would take 15 min to get to room there and 15 to get back.. was super rediculous

Everyone was super nice and welcomed my dog with treats and...
    • Premier Suite

The elevator was beyond slow. Waited 15 minutes for the elevator to come some times even longer. On the 19th floor started walking by the end of our stay.

Everyone was super nice and welcomed my dog with treats and open arms. Would stay again in a second.

Our room was Premium Suite with Balcony and View.
    • Premium Suite with Balcony and View

Hotel is changing linens only if specially requested. It has to be otherwise round. Not change linens only if specially requested.

Our room was Premium Suite with Balcony and View. Very nice. Fruits and blueberries on breakfast. Good Japanese restaurants at neighborhood. Especially Jinya Ramen is worthwhile to try. Nice public library next door. In general Vancouver is great place to visit.

Very comfortable, would stay again and recommend to others.
    • Premier Suite

The only negative was that the elevator was out of service, so there was one elevator for over 30 floors. On one occasion it took took 15 minutes for the elevator to arrive at my floor. I would have appreciated being informed of this prior to booking a room.

The room was very comfortable and clean - great value for money. The staff were extremely friendly and greeted me whenever I entered or exited the hotel. Great location downtown.

DO YOU WANT TO WASTE HOURS TRYING TO GET IN AND OUT OF YOUR ROOM?
    • Premier Suite

EVERYTHING HAD ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT.

WARNING:THIS HOTEL'S ELEVATOR SYSTEM IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION UNTIL April 2018. THEY SHOULD BE OBLIGATED TO TELL CUSTOMERS PRIOR TO BOOKING AS IT IS A TALL, NARROW BUILDING. Long waits. THERE IS NO ELEVATOR AVAIL FROM STREET LEVEL, EITHER (IT IS DESIGNED TO GO 3 STOREYS UP TO LOBBY THEN CHANGE)…DON'T STAY HERE W/ELDERLY, CHILDREN OR ANYONE YOU ARE TRYING TO IMPRESS.// Separately. The room receipt is impossible to read for non-bookkeepers. I GUESS THEY THINK THIS IS FRAUD CONTROL BUT THE AVG PERSON CANNOT MAKE SENSE OF THE RECEIPT.

DO YOU WANT TO WASTE HOURS TRYING TO GET IN AND OUT OF YOUR ROOM?
    • Premier Suite

EVERYTHING HAD ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT.

Wonderful experience

Price of parking

The bed was comfortable, the shower was amazing. I asked for decorations for a birthday and they made a birthday sign, left a card, and a treat. The staff went above and beyond my expectations.

Very nice hotel, conveniently located
    • Premier Room with Two Queen Beds

The location was very convenient. We had a concert to attend that night, and it was easily within walking distance of the Commodore Ballroom. Had a grocery and liquor store at ground level, which was also a nice bonus.

• Premier Room with Two Queen Beds

Told them when we booked room it was for a birthday celebration and they didn’t do anything special . We were asked if it was a special occasion so not sure why they asked if didn’t do anything special???

Remarkable value for money for such a fine hotel ideally located around great restaurants.
    • Premier Room with Two Queen Beds and View

Not really a factor but the elevator was undergoing maintenance during our stay so going up and down to the 28th floor took some time.

Great location, very accomodating staff, clean and spacious rooms.

Great value for the price and excellent proximity to most points of interest in downtown Vancouver.
    • Premium Deluxe Suite with View

The elevators take a long time to wait for. When you finally get an elevator, it's rare to make it all the way down to the ground level in one shot. People pack in pretty tight, on average the elevator made about 4 stops each time I was on the way down.

Great view, excellent service from the staff. Great location to be able to see Vancouver by foot. Really loved the proximity to Japadog which is a personal Vancouver tradition for me. All in all a great visit.

Good all round hotel for a central stay in Vancouver
    • Premier Room with Two Queen Beds

Bar had little atmosphere and rather grumpy bar tender. Hotel needed more than 2 lifts given its size

Great location and spacious room and outdoor roof top pool and fitness centre were a bonus

One of the best places to stay if you're visiting Vancouver. Close to everything, updated amenities
    • Executive Suite with Balcony and View

Amazing room. Opting for a suite was the best decision made for my trip. Everything is updated and clean. Elevators are fast. Pool/gym and lounge are are amazing. Staff was very accommodating.

I will say my stay good and I will come back again but I will not add Breakfast again

Service very good

The thinks I do not like at the Hotel two things. 1. Elevators to slow. 2. Breakfast very bad and the people who works there they are not friendly. Thanks

Small room but well designed. Great balcony and pool area.
    • Premium Suite with Balcony

The only problem we had was opening and closing the curtains. They were extremely full and heavy and although new, the drapery track was original and not smooth which caused us to have to pull on the fabric because there was no other way to open and close them. We mentioned this to front desk. Not the nicest of entrances off the car park but room are nice.

New, clean, pool area was fantastic, (pool seating, staff and water temp plus views at the pool)

Hotel is well located, very nice room, disappointed by some of the other issues mentioned.
    • Superior One-Bedroom Suite

The lifts in this hotel are a nightmare! I've never had to wait so long on a consistent basis.. other guests we spoke to had the same issue. Our room was on the 19th floor,and there were at least 30 in the building. So many times we had to wait many minutes for the lift to arrive. The lifts seem to go up and down in a very inefficient manner. For a building this tall, there should be more lifts. The issue is obviously known as I've never seen tv screens situated by the lift doors before in a hotel, obviously put here to occupy guests time whilst waiting for the lift to arrive.. Another issue with the hotel was regarding the swimming pool. We arrived at the hotel late Friday evening following a busy traveling day from the Oregon coast via Seattle. We were looking forward to using the pool area on Saturday and relaxing in the hotel. On arrival, on check in, we were informed that the pool area wasn't available on the Saturday as it had been reserved for a private pool party. None of which had been communicated to us, prior to our arrival. Considering we had booked the hotel back in January, you would have thought somebody from the hotel could have let us know about this event. I might have chosen another hotel with pool facilities that weren't restricted! We were told that we could use the pool at the other Westin hotel the other side of town and the hotel would pay for a taxi to get there. Who would want to do that? I book a hotel based on the facilities on site, not to have the hassle of heading over in a taxi to their other hotel..!! Another issue on the Friday evening was the early closing of the hotel bar. After discovering that the pool was out of bounds on the Saturday, we headed to the bar for a drink... this is all we did get, a drink. Most hotel bars Ive encountered seem to stay open fairly late in to the night/ early hours of the morning.. Not this one. We entered the bar around 10:30/11pm... no other customers in there.

Our room was a suite, so separate lounge area from the bedroom which was very nice. The bed was really comfortable. The bathroom had a great shower system which allowed you to choose either rainfall style or handheld hose spray.

Liked our rooms!
    • Premier Accessible Room with Roll-in Shower

Slow elevators, inconsistent information from various staff, like not being able to book an additional room date at the front desk and told to go online to book, missed availability over this and stayed elsewhere

Liked our rooms!!

Nice location but needs some work.
    • Premium Deluxe Suite with View

It too an entire evening till about midnight, with several calls till the air conditioning in the room was turned on. There were not enough elevators in the hotel and the wait was often quite significant.

The room was very comfortable with a great view of the city.

Inaccurate room description on Booking.Com
    • Premier Room with Two Queen Beds

Booked room using Booking.com room description, separate living area and kitchenette. Arrived to property only to find no such room exists and was placed in a small room. Everyone blames everyone else for mistake in booking description. From now on, will not use third party booking service since there is no recourse if a room is described incorrectly. Unfortunately, you base the price of the room off of the description... and if the description is not accurate, you end up paying a higher price for a room that could have been easily booked elsewhere. Lesson learned.

Great location!
    • Premier Suite

Entrance (via) car port was not particularly welcoming, probably because of the downtown location where space is at a premium.

Location was good, we were upgraded without asking and that was GREAT! Our room was very large by Vancouver standards.

Pleasant stay, but...
    • Premier Room with Two Queen Beds

Parking experience was not so good, very costly and tight. Elevators are slow to arrive and are crowded. Room was nice and comfortable, but the view was not worth the extra. Coffee bar in the room is too small to hold the pot in a manner that is serviceable, so spills are inevitable. We had four adults in our party, but were given bath and coffee supplies for only two. Buffet breakfast was far superior to most, but bordered on being pretentious. Parking and taxes added about 25% to our bill. We would only return if the price were greatly reduced.

Newly remodeled room. Very comfortable, quiet. Bathroom was elegant. They gave us an upgrade, which was kind of them. Staff was responsive, polite.

Not worth it
    • Premium Suite with Balcony

Elevators are brutal in this hotel. I paid a big price for a corner balcony and was on the 7th floor looking at unfinished cinder block. This hotel is terrible value.

Great short stay - wish it was longer!
    • Premier Suite

We were upgraded to a bigger room, which was a bonus. Staff has been extremely helpful and friendly. The beds are so so comfy! Will definitely go back

Great downtown hotel
    • Premier Suite

The only bad thing was there was only 2 elevators. So you would have to wait sometimes up to 5 minutes to get a elevator. Also the key cards wouldn't work the next day. So everyday we were getting our keys reset just to get back in our room. They really need to move to a RFID card that won't erase. Need to have better signs when first pulling up. I drove by the alley the first time because I didn't know I had to pull into the alley to check in. That could be easily corrected with some type of signage.

Rooms were big for being downtown!!

Great location. Expect Street noise no matter what floor you're on
    • Premier Suite

Could hear the traffic, the pub on the street and other noises. We were on the 17th floor and thought this could be remedied especially with these rates.

Breakfast staff especially attentive.

Great location!
    • Deluxe Corner Suite

The hotel was nice, but I didn't feel that the size of the suite was worth $600/night.

Great location! Every place we went to during the day/evening was in walking distance to the hotel, which saved us a lot on cab fare.

Highly recommend this location!
    • Premier Suite with View

I love this location. The renovations are great however, I was sad to see the mini kitchen function gone. When I travel for a full week, I really like being able to grocery shop and prepare some of my own meals. This is still a great stay.

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

Excellent location, free wifi, very pleasant staff.
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

Construction/renovations at the time of our stay but we were prepared for this and the noise was limited to daytime hours

Excellent location, free wifi, very pleasant staff. Newly renovated restaurant Hendricks was a lovely space for breakfast and dinner.

• Reviewed: 8 February 2017

location was great, staff were average and shower water pressure wasn't the best.
    • Superior One-Bedroom Suite

shower head pressure wasn't the best. also lack of utensils (eg. spoon) in the room. also had troubles checking in as they couldn't find the booking under my name.

location was great. upgraded (for extra $30pn) to a 1 bedroom room, which may or may not have been worth it.

• Reviewed: 24 January 2017

Despite major renovations our stay reasonably good
    • Deluxe Corner Suite

Was not made aware that major renovations were taking place when our booking was made. There were some long waits for the lifts too. As we were there over the weekend there was minimal construction noise. I think it would be noisy during the week.

Location is great. Staff were very friendly and helpful and gave us adjoining rooms even though it meant an upgrade for one of the rooms. They were also very accomodating regarding late checkout as well. Wouldn't hesitate to come back after the renovations.

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

just ok
    • Premier Room with Two Queen Beds

very poor noise control between rooms especially if they are adjoining. All noise travels thru the double doors easily...we got stuck with a family with screaming kids from5:30am!

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

Spacious accommodation in central location.
    • Premier Room with Two Queen Beds

Hotel is being refurbished hence some noise and disruption but nothing of major concern.

Location excellent on Robson Street near shops and restaurants - rooms spacious and very comfortable with nice outlook.

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

Under renovations but continued high rental rates!
    • Premier Suite with View

There are renovations being completed on the entire building which resulted in noise next door at 7:30 am and no lobby. There was also only one working elevator. All of this while charging a high rate.

The room was excellent and the bed very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 25 December 2016

Very Nice Suite Hotel in Excellent Location
    • Superior One-Bedroom Suite

Loved the hotel and its location, but because of the ongoing renovations we were not able to see how nice the hotel is. We look forward to returning when the renos are complete.

Excellent location right in the heart of downtown Vancouver. You are easily able to walk anywhere fairly quickly. The hotel is undergoing a renovation and although we didn't stay in one of the newly renovated rooms, our room was still clean and very comfortable. All the staff we had dealings with were super friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

Comfortable, clean and welcoming
    • Superior One-Bedroom Suite

I loved the outdoor pool and hot tub. Heaven!! The warm birthday wishes, hand made card and treats were a lovely surprise. Thank you for the added thoughtfulness. I look forward to returning after the renovations are complete to see the new look.

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

Was given an upgrade to a newly renovated room on the 27th...
    • Queen Studio - Disability Access

The Queen bed is uncomfortable. Woke up with a sore back. The pillows are not good either. Bathroom - The location of the tp holder is odd - you better not have a bad back or you will not be able to reach.

Was given an upgrade to a newly renovated room on the 27th floor. Wonderful views. Nice suite. The check in male attendant was very enthusiastic and helpful.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

Great location, but noisy
    • Deluxe Corner Queen Suite

I had to work in my room some days and it was very noisy with the refurbishments; could also hear conversations from the room next door. I have severe allergies so I was very happy to be put in an updated room that hadn't had pets in it yet. It would be great if management could consider reserving a 'pet free' floor for guests as its difficult + expensive for travelers such as myself to book a hypoallergenic/pet free room in Vancouver. I think the Westin will be a great place to stay once the remodelling is complete.

Really convenient location within walking distance to everything you need. The renovated rooms have been updated nicely. Staff were very nice.

• Reviewed: 23 November 2016

Spacious room but lacking essentials
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

Very hot water came from both taps. Unusable at first. Cold water would eventually come. Bed was not secured to headboard and headboard not secured to wall so it was very noisy with any movement. Smelly upholstery on couch.

Spacious. Good shower.

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

We couldn't eat breakfast because we were 10 min late of...
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

We couldn't eat breakfast because we were 10 min late of the limit time. They are doing a renewal in the facilities areas and no one tell us in advance.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

Underwhelmed. 4 star?!?!? What a joke! More like 2!
    • Queen Studio - Disability Access

Hotel is undergoing major renovations and weren't advised when booking. Bathroom had mouldy tiles grout and mouldy shower curtain! Hotel restaurant was closed because of renovations

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

Very clean and cozy, would use again
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

The food menu didnt include any "normal" dining options. Very classy selection, they had A few high end heathy meals but even on thier kids menu there wasnt just a burger and fries or chicken fingers or ceaser salad or anything that would be on a classic dining menu. However theres was a million restaurants within a 5 min walk of the hotel and even right across the street. We went to a concert and had a few drinks and were looking for more pub like food so we didnt end up ordering anything off the menu.

Hotel was under construction and our checkin time was delayed over an hour because they were completely sold out of rooms and over booked. The staff did the best they could to make sure we got to our room as quick as possible. The room was fabulous, nice view and very clean and cozy, also decently priced for being right in the middle of down town. We went for a concert and walked to rogers arena within 10 mins. Would use this hotel again.

• Reviewed: 10 November 2016

Should have known about the renovations!
    • Premier Room with Two Queen Beds

We were not told when booking about the lobby closure and other renovations going on at the hotel. Because of this the hotel didn't really function very well. Would have stayed somewhere else if we'd known.

Always like the comfort of a Westin and we love Vancouver BC.

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

I like the layout of this rooms and will stay here again.
    • Deluxe Corner Suite

It was under construction so check in etc. a little confusing. I had not been advised of this construction situation when I booked.

The staff were exceptional.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

I would most definitely stay again, as hotel clean and well located with very comfortable rooms

food not very good,and service without a smile

bed very comfortable

We enjoyed our stay. Staff great. Concierge staff great.
    • Premium Deluxe Suite with View

Didn’t get shampoo conditioner and other incidentals consistently.

Location and view of downtown

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

highly recomend this property
    • Premier Suite

great staff, great room, comfortable bed

Super location and comfortable hotel.
    • Premier Room with Two Queen Beds and View

Perfect spot to walk to Granville St, Robson restaurants, Gastown, Yaletown, and Stanley Park.

Ok
    • Premium Deluxe Suite with View

Hotel facilities, specially very slow elevators

Good place to stay in Vancouver

Staff could be nicer

Best location possible. Nice and comfortable.

Overall a very nice stay!
    • Premier Room with Two Queen Beds and View

Room service food was just okay. Lobby is small.

Newly renovated property in a good location! Pretty rooms. Nice staff.

Good location, staff was very friendly and helpful!
    • Premium Deluxe Suite

Good location, staff was very friendly and helpful!

Worths the amount paid
    • Premium Deluxe Suite

Charging the deposits way too high

Modern, stylish, cozy, great views

Good

Small rooms

Centric area

Nice room friendly staff location good for tourists
    • Premier Room with Two Queen Beds

Good location for site seeing and restaurants

Westin Vancouver
    • Premier Suite

The location was great and the staff was amazing !

Cost

The feel of a very good hotel.

Beautiful weather and a great hotel priceless!

Having to use the freight elevator because the 2nd elevator was down