Reviews of Hotel Adler 3 stars

Rosengasse 10, Am Hirschenplatz, City Centre, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland

#29 of 121 hotels in Zürich

Very small rooms : no air conditioning or screens and it was hot. Beds not that comfortable for me: not firm. If you wanted a shower in the heat had to choose privacy over stifling hot re open window. Screens or at least sheer curtains over open window would be helpful

Great staff. Historic. Hardwood floors. Very clean. Adorable. Great location in old town.

It was very hot in Zurich when we were there and most places don't have AC so sleeping at night was a little uncomfortable. The hotel did provide a fan which helped but it was still hot.

Quiet rooms. Seemed like a solidly built hotel. We had a junior suite so it was a larger room than most which was nice. Good location, only a 15 minute walk to the station.

• Standard Single Room

The access to the lobby from the street is stairs only - it could be tough to carry the luggage up the stairs.

Excellent location. Nicely decorated and clean. Good breakfast.

• Family Room

The air conditioner made considerable noise. There are clear panels on the bathroom door

The hotel is in the old town of Zurich and is near a nice path for walking or running

• Standard Single Room

No air conditioning, extremely uncomfortable. Had to leave windows open but noise from the square meant that I did not sleep for the duration of my stay. Also only one very soft pillow as standard, two should be provided as standard.

Poky, dark cramped rooms, very hot with only a fan.

Check in staff were helpful and changed our room when I complained that the one we were allocated on arrival can only be described as ‘poky’ and the electric supply sockets did not work.

The area is a bit noisy because it's on a busy walk way. We had a first floor room looking over the street. Sleeping was difficult. Ask for a room on the upper floors not facing the street. The staff is lovely. Early arrival is not recommended. We waited more than 2 hours for our room to be ready. The restaurant associated with the hotel is wonderful! The fondue was delicious. Other than the noise issue, we had a lovely stay.

• Standard Single Room

Conversations by tourists in the road outside, at night. I shall choose a quiet room next time

Decor in the room. Good shower. Excellent breakfast (and I also had a lunch in the hotel's restaurant)

• Standard Single Room

Just a little of noise outside during late afternoon but it was because of the restaurants/bars close to the hotel, but this is at the same time a good point due to the variety of options to relax and dinner.

The hotel was perfect with a really kind staff and in a good location.

• Standard Single Room

Single rooms are a bit too small.

The Adler is like an old friend - it just fits. Something else to note. It is central in Zurich's Old Town which is a noisy place late evening and the night and yet the hotel is real quiet - ajnd I have stayed there several times.

No complaints

Hotel Adler was in a fantastic location right in the heart of the old town and easy to walking distance to the main train station. I stayed in a single room which was compact but well designed and very clean. The art in the rooms and the hotel gave it some extra personality. Breakfast was lovely and the staff were very pleasant.

This was a perfect experience for us. We were traveling around Europe for the previous 10 days. We arrived and got into our room rather tired and worn out. We opened the windows to a lovely view of the square that was bustling with people and cafes and stores. This was so reminiscent of time spent in Italy or Spain. It was unexpected for us. The room was so clean, neat, and comfortable. The location is absolutely perfect. Close to everything in old town. The breakfast was very good and saved $$ for other things. (Zurich is expensive). The staff was always at front desk and very helpful and kind. I cannot say one negative thing about our experience.

• Standard Single Room

I love the murals in the hotel and in the room... completely adore it. For the price and comparing to other hotels in Zurich, I thought this was such a steal. Would definitely book this hotel again.

• Superior Single Room

The room was very loud. Sounded like someone was hammering nails late into the night. I could hear other guests talking and yelling and kids running around very loud.

• Standard Single Room

Stay was too short. Need a top sheet on bed for those that don't like heavy comforter, i.e.me.

For the location close to train station but on a side pedestrian street with many restaurants. Room was very well stocked with tea kettle for the Brits, large tv, room safe and even a pair of bath slippers. Breakfast was very substantial continental style and staff would bring your coffee and tea. Girl at front desk even printed out my train ticket after a slight snafu on my part.

The location was amazing, the staff was really nice, the breakfast was very good. The only bad thing was the noise at night (Friday night) was loud all night. We did have a room that faced the street. Also, the bed was super hard but it was plenty big enough. Also, the wall painting in our room was lovely.

I really liked the book in the room with the 6 walking tours and the drawings of the art that is in each room. I liked the adjoining g restaurant. With the window closed, the room was completely soundproof. We were really pleasantly surprised and impressed.

• Standard Single Room

The staff is very helpful and friendly. My room was very silent and cosy, just as I wished. Breakfast was wonderful. I'd be happy to stay there again.

Due to its central location there was a bit of noise coming from the street. But that has nothing to do with the hotel.

The hotel was in a really central location. Breakfast was really good. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Standard Single Room

Beautiful rooms with unique artwork by local artist. Right in centre of everything, sound proof windows worked a treat. Breakfast was simple but delicious and the staff very friendly and helpful.

• Standard Single Room

The hotel has a lot of great paintings, staff is very welcoming and professional. The single room has a great set up, and everything you might need during your stay. It’s a party neighborhood, so if you like peace and quiet- request it from the hotel, they give you a room facing a quiet street.

Great location with a great restaurant which served an excellent breakfast and great fondue in the evening. Less than 10 minutes from the train station and in the heart of the old town, we were very please with our choice of the Adler.

Small room, near bars that stay open late (we had to change rooms because of raucous partiers in acoustic alley), it was warm but no air conditioning (they had a small fan) had to keep windows closed and use ear plugs. Hotel restaurant was disappointing, unless you are into cheese fondue. Included breakfast does not include eggs or omelets or bacon. They do not brew the coffee. Like many Euro restaurants these days, they make a bitter brew individually by the (small) cup, which I dislike. We had to go to Starbucks for coffee (10 minute walk).

Staff is very helpful, location is ideal for exploring old town. About 15 min from train station, hotel have shuttle to drop you at airport for flat 35 Francs. Several pleasant sitting areas in hotel, nicely decorated,

• Standard Single Room

Of course it is in the dead centre of town - so on one side of the hotel there is a bar that is open late...a bit noisy, so if you like to sleep with the window open choose the restaurant side of the building.

• Standard Single Room

Too far for walking with luggage from train station.

Staffs very warm welcome. Comfortable room even a small single room but good decoration. Breakfast is fair. Nothing really special except fresh breads.

Very big and suitable single beds. The hotel just near the restaurants, but it has great sound-proofing. Enthusiastic and passion servant. Good location, you can walk only 7 minutes to Zurich main station. It also provide free high-speed WiFi for the guest. The breakfast is common,but it's enough. Each room has their own boil.

• Standard Single Room

After the midnight they are locking main door .I was wait outside 15 min and nobody answered even i call and knock the door. Breakfast staff looking very angry and not friendly .

Very good location

Breakfast is good , bedroom is so beauitful.we go outside for shopping is so easy and come back housekeeper clear all the part , I like this control from hotel. Moreover, the coop supermarket open 6 to 10,just three block in city . But restaurant so good. Ok

• Superior Single Room

I was very happy about my experience with the hotel. The only big complain I have was the smell of cheese from the restaurant cover almost the whole hotel. This is unpleasant. Thanks

The reception was very nice and helpful. Thumbs up

Week internet connection

Very comfortable room with balcony, clean and spacious. Nice breakfast, friendly and very helpful staff. Great location for business and pleasure.

• Standard Single Room

N/A - everything was great!

I was overly impressed with everything about this hotel. All the staff were so friendly and went over-the-top to make sure I had a wonderful stay. The breakfast buffet was included in my reservation and absolutely delicious (I appreciate that it stays open later on the weekend). Plus, the noon check out is a huge plus. In terms of my room, I had a single room but the bed was quite big and really comfortable. The bathroom was also super clean! I loved all the individual charm around the hotel and appreciated that the staff put me in a quiet room as requested. Really loved my stay and am hoping to come back soon with the boyfriend!

The hotel staff, having received a dispatch to the name of one of the clients (whose name was indicated both when booking and when settling in), did not inform the client and sent the shipment back. As a result, expenses were incurred, but we did not receive the parcel that we expected. In the refrigerator in the room almost room temperature.

Natural materials used in the design of the room; the hotel is perfectly located; for breakfast began to serve eggs scramble.

While not a complaint, if you stay during peak times it can be difficult to get a reservation at the hotel's restaurant for dinner (unless you want to eat outside, or weird hours). Maybe some priority should be given to the hotel guest, for example the option to book dinner at the time of booking.

Perfect location, friendly staff, nice rooms, great breakfast.

• Standard Single Room

There was some noise from a tapas bar across the road, but it stopped at about 11pm, and you have to expect to hear other people in a city centre. I couldn't fault anything else.

The whole hotel looked to be newly decorated and was very neat and clean. The staff were friendly and spoke English. They kindly looked after my suitcase for me after I checked out while I explored the city. Great location right in the middle of the city, ten minutes walk from the train station. The breakfast was fabulous - lots of pastries, bread, cereal, yoghurt, fruit, coffee, fruit juice. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to this hotel.

not a thing

very kind staffs during my stay at 6 hotels in my honeymoon, Adler gave most bottles of water for free and even surprised us with a basket of fruits

At our arrival, the room we booked was occupied by other guests. The room that was proposed as first alternative had a tiny double bed. After we complained, the staff upgraded us and provided us with a large and comfortable room. For the rest of our stay, the staff were extremely helpful and caring, so that, at the end, the initial bad experience was completely corrected and left us with a very positive overall impression.

After a somehow rough start, the staff made great efforts to make us feel at ease at the hotel. We really appreciated their efforts. The hotel's location and the rooms' cleanliness were great.

The noise during the night. A lot of bars and nightclubs are around so it would be not possible to sleep with the open windows during the night.

The Hotel in located in the centre of the city, not far from the railway station. Excellent Hotel staff. Would like to thank Stefan in the reception for his hospitality and assistance while checking in/out.Good breakfast.

Very noisy around especially during the night time. Can not sleep with the open window at all.

Excellent staff at the reception. Would like to send special thanks to Stefan for his excellent help, advise and hospitality.

• Standard Single Room

I stayed in room 106 which had a seating area outside which was a bit noisy at times.

Great value for money for a Zürich hotel with breakfast included.

At checkout, staff claimed we had a 17 euro restaurant bill charged to our room, but couldn't give us any details. The front desk woman was pretty reticent about it, even after we said we hadn't used the restaurant or bar. Finally just had to say "we're not paying that."

Proximity to train station and old town, very clean

We were on the first floor facing the main street so it was a little noisy.

Our room had good storage space and was spacious compared to other hotels we have stayed in Zurich. Our floor also had some nice common areas if you wanted to relax outside of your room.

• Standard Single Room

Would have liked a little more table top/shelf space in the room. but otherwise the room was very cute, & comfortable. Love the mural/painting on the wall in the room.

Great location, friendly staff, great breakfast with lots of choices

• Superior Single Room

Staff was very nice during check-out, did not have the same experience during check-in.

Comfy bed, clean room and an excellent breakfast selection every morning. Also very close to the train station.

• Family Room

We were 3 adults and 2 kids. There were only two proper beds in the room for 5. The other 3 were quite uncomfortable. and the pillows provided were also very loose. In short, in the room for 5, there was only a proper setup for 2 adults.

Switzerland is expensive, Zurich is expensive, so this is more than we usually spend on a hotel room, but the Adler is very reasonable compared to other places in the neighborhood.

The staff were extremely helpful, kind and welcoming. The location is lovely, right in the center of the Old Town of Zurich, walking distance to the lake and two beautiful cathedrals. The room was quiet and clean and had a little balcony over a pedestrian way. The food in the restaurant was quite good and breakfast was generous, with lots of different choices.

• Standard Single Room

It was a bit cold there, cause warming was turned off. But it got better next day, when I turned it on.

Tasty breakfast, comfortable bad, location is perfect

Nothing Everything was fine, some staff friendlier than others but no problem.

All good at the pretty little hotel, quite quaint inside and with all its Christmas decorations up, it looked especially pretty.

• Superior Single Room

Every member of the team I came into contact with was friendly and helpful. Wonderful. Very comfy bed and pillows. Lovely restaurant downstairs, again, great staff.

• Standard Single Room

It is quite expensive and the room was small, but I guess this is to be expected from Zürich.

Friendly and helpful staff. Nice location, close both to the train station and the lake.

• Standard Single Room

The staff in the breakfast-room /restaurant, loudly banging glasses etc as they set tables for later in the day (both days I stayed); very unprofessional. Bathroom floor requires attention

Very comfortable bed/linen Extremely well-planned & appointed room & bathroom (despite being small) Murals throughout the property are terrific! Enjoyable small hotel nicely located Excellent reception staff

• Family Room

Great location with young family . Easy access to everything in Zurich .

Stefan at reception is an absolute champion. He and the rest if the staff couldnt have been more helpful. I had the family room with 3 kids. It was perfect

Bed and shower a little small

Pastries and coffee delicious at breakfast. Buffet simple yet ok. Staff friendly and room efficient. Free Coke and water appreciated and refilled every day

They kept my credit card details at the reception as a guarantee (on what???-I can't understand) even though we had already paid for the room via booking's online payment system as we had booked for the non-refundable price.

Excellent location, nice hotel for a short stay.

WiFi’s bad. Cannot use it to watch YouTube, even the ads.

All attractions are at foot distance. The staff allowed early check in. They are so nice. Love the cleanliness and light!

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

• Standard Single Room

I stayed on the third floor so I had no big problem with the noise, but there were one or two groups of young travellers walking by during the night that were rather loud. But I suppose this happens whenever you stay in the heart of the old town of any city.

The hotel is perfectly central, just a few steps from the main street where trams are running, but in comparison with the main street fairly quiet. You can reach it comfortably in just over 10 minutes walk from the main train station of Zürich which has direct, frequent and for Switzerland quite cheap train connection to the airport. I have to say I loved the room - during my trip I stayed in two other hotels, but both the other rooms were very dark and quite cold. This one was light, warm and very comfortable, if perhaps a bit smaller than the other two rooms I used during my trip. I also very much liked the colours (several blue tones, rich browns and white) of the room and that you were able to see the wood from the timbering. There were tea and coffee making facilities in the room and a nice breakfast was served in the restaurant downstairs (the only thing I like which was missing there were scambled eggs - but soft boiled eggs were available as well as many other choices of breakfast food). On the first floor there is a small common room with computer and printer for guests - very handy. Yes, I would definitely book a room here again. Last but not least - the mattress was very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

• Standard Single Room

because of the snow I was not able to arrive in due time, so I paid three nights instead of two nights, which is ok, but I thought somehow that I would have had a discount since I skipped breakfast as well.

I always stay in this Hotel when I have to go to Zurich it's excellent.

Great location in old town and near Christmas markets. The reception from Stephan was very welcoming and he seemed genuinely interested in making sure we really got to experience Zurich.

Really expensive for what is...but I guess this is Switzerland

Great location in a very cute Medieval neighborhood, very nice staff trying to help by all means (buying me train tickets, printing tram schedule, checking the heat in the room, securing the breakfast at 5am before I leave etc).

Bed is a bit soft.

The staffs were very friendly and approachable. Hotel was walking distance to everywhere. And in December, there will be a Christmas market right at the doorstep. Public transport is just less than 5 mins walk. Mini Marts and restaurant within 1 mins. Excellent hotel to stay in Zurich.!!

The staffs is great and good location too in old town. Everywhere is within walking distance. Christmas market is right infront of the hotel durin christmas season.

No complaints

From the moment we waked in they made us feel like we were at home. Free wifi and complementary water and soda awaited us in our room. The pull out bed was already for us and the room was set to a warm comfortable temperature without being too hot nor cold, which was especially appreciate after a long day in the Alps. The Lovation is perfect for site seeing as you can hop off and on the tram and explore the city. My only regret is that we didn't book this for long longer... as after 4 days we had to head back to Milan for the last part of our vacation. Can't wait to come back!!

• Standard Single Room

Nice staff. I was offered to chose between upgrade on room (from single to double) or early check in. I chose early check in and got a nice and cozy single room on the first floor. Good bathroom. The bed was a bit soft for my liking but still comfy. However, the walls were thin so there was a bit noisy at times, so bring earplugs if you are sensitive. Breakfast was really good. The adjoining restaurant makes the lobby smell strongly of cheese, but not the room. Good value and excellent location.

We had the junior suite. Very comfortable, with a cow on the balcony an despite the cristmas marketd right underneath it it was pretty quiet. Friendly staff and a flavor of swiss cheese in the air coming from the hotel restaurant. It´s not annoying though as in the room you didn´t smell any of it.

Wooden flooring impacted in sleep quality.

Excellent location only a short walk from train station. Comfortable bed, quality bathroom and very good restaurant.

• Standard Single Room

Breakfast is not various at all, omelette is only available for extra pay.

The location is amazing: close to Zurich HB (main train station) and city center, nice street to walk near with plenty of bars and restaurants. The room for one was small, but lovely. And I really liked restaurant downstairs.

We had raclette at the restaurant, it was overpriced and didn’t come with a lot of meat. Wish we’d have gone somewhere else to try.

Very clean, mattress was really comfortable, excellent location, friendly staff.

It was rather noisy to sleep as the hotel is in a busy area of town with lots of restaurants and bars close by. The bathroom did not have curtains or blinds. Window was frosted though. Not sure about see-through bathroom door.

Location was good. Breakfast too. Staff was very forthcoming and answered all our queries. Attached restaurant is excellent.

• Superior Single Room

A toaster would have been great, but only a minor thing. Soy milk would hav3 been wonderful so I could have had coffee sitting out in their lovely courtyard.

I am vegan so didn’t have the eggs. Sadly they did not have soy milk so could not have tea or coffee, but the granola and fresh fruit was lovely.

• Standard Single Room

The acoustic insulation of the rooms need to be improved. From my room (first floor), I could hear seats and furniture moving from the adjacent rooms/the restaurant downstairs until 01:00 in the morning, and then starting again at 06:00.

The hotel is in a central position, easy to reach (tram stop nearby) from the main station. Lots of restaurants and shops nearby. The hotel rooms were clean, the bed was really comfortable. Good quality of hotel amenities. Breakfast simple but good. Nice hotel staff.

Everything was great. The location is not that close to the station but it has great restaurant downstair and the atmospere around the hotel was good.

We feedback to the hotel regarding the dusty stand fan in our room. However the hotel did not clean it for us hence we were unable to use it throughout our stay. As i am asthmatic, i am very sensitive to dust. A day after our feedback, we checked out and realised that my luggage handle was broken. This caused alot of inconvenience as it was the start of our two weeks vacation within Switzerland. One of the handle pieces was missing. When we checked in, it was in good condition. We are very upset about this incident. As much as we hope it was not caused by any of the hotel staff, we cannot comprehend how this could have happened when we did not touch the handle throughout our stay (handle was only used when travelling and pulling for long distances). At this point in time, we do not wish to pursue the matter but we hope the hotel can improve the cleanliness of the fan and hopefully such unfortunate incident will not occur again.

Breakfast is decent, room walls have beautiful wallpaper of the city. And they take into consideration that it was our honeymoon so they welcome us with rose petals on the bed. Thank you for the kind gesture, we greatly appreciate it. Location is very close to the old town.

It was warm for late September so we had to keep windows open, however we were directly above the restaurant connected to hotel so lots of noise and smells of food/fondue and people smoking from the outdoor tables.

Great location, easy to walk to from main train station, very friendly and helpful staff.

lower price, better breakfast

The rates are a bit expensive for the room (and the breakfast is separate and not great) even considering it is Switzerland. The room was clean though, 2 mins from the tram station and very nice staff.

• Standard Single Room

Very small room/small bed No air conditioning system I requested additional 30 min to checkout time and it was denied You can get better options for the same money around.

• Standard Single Room

Everything was excellent, the food, the staff, the building, the room. The gentleman at the front desk was extremely funny. He had our group in stitches, that is laughing. Interior was charming.

Browse Hotel Adler traveller photo gallery