Reviews of Hotel Alfa Soleil 3 stars

Äussere Dorfstrasse 99, 3718 Kandersteg, Switzerland

#8 of 19 hotels in Kandersteg

Great hotel at fantastic location.
    • Superior Double Room with Balcony

Fantastic restaurant best food I have eaten in Switzerland, view from room is amazing, the walks that can be accessed from this valley are not to be missed,

The location and view from the suite was great for a...

I went there for a night with my girlfriend and we were super disappointed. I have booked a Junior Suite, I have asked for a double bed during the reservation but we finally got two single beds together which make it very uncomfortable, my lower back still feels it... then why do you ask if we want a double bed if you don’t respect it? Also, the TV was not working (I could then not watch the start of the World Cup..) and no one came to fix it!! I would have expected to get a discount (free breakfast for instance) but we did not get anything and just left very frustrated. Definitely overpriced and does not deserve the 180CHF I have paid.

The location and view from the suite was great for a peaceful night. The restaurant was excellent but a bit expensive...

Loved Kandersteg. Beautiful. Expensive. Gondola to mountains and walks outstanding.
    • Economy Double Room

They had deleted our reservation made a year earlier, so although they were still able to accommodate us the room was not great. Dinner great food but very small servings

Lovely hotel with a friendly staff!
    • Economy Double Room

My only complaint is that our bedroom door was VERY hard to open and close :-/

We had a lovely stay! The hotel provided a crib for our baby and we could bring our dog along, too. The staff was helpful, giving recommendations and even driving us to the train station on a moment's notice. I recommend this hotel.

- Nice breakfast
    • Economy Double Room

- Loud squeaking of the floor boards, when people upstairs moved around, which often during the night. - Breakfast was not included in the price. - Sauna is not free for guests.

- Nice breakfast - Good location - Comfortable lounge area with fire place downstairs - Friendly staff

A lovely charming place you wanna come back again!

Nothing we didn't like. Small issues during the dinner and checking out were resolved quickly and friendly.

I was happy to book this lovely hotel last minute and they were very flexible to accommodate our kids in the same large room. Very beautiful location, nice atmosphere, great authentic food and selection of wines! It's a place I'm proud i have explored and happy to recommend to my friends! Will come back again gladly!

The view of the mountains
    • Economy Double Room

My first room was completely different from the photos I saw in booking.com. I asked to change to another room, but the hotel was full booked. So, I had to pay the difference to move to a more expensive room that was avaiable two days after my arrival.

The view of the mountains

Polite staff, but many issues (like no warm water for shower)
    • Superior Double Room with Balcony

It seems that the hotel can't supply warm water for shower when relatively full, so we had to take the shower with cold water in the evenings. Staff was polite and announced us when the water was warm again late in the evening after the dinner, nevertheless for this money it should not happen -this is not a hostel, it is supposed to be a good swiss hotel. The hotel has the cabine lifts included in the price, nevertheless first they said that it would cost us 10 euros per person per day and after the incident with the water in the first day they said it would be included in the room price. The final bill was considerably more than the supposed amount on the booking.com (except the city tax which is understandable). After talking with the reception the invoice was changed as per the booking.com amount. I've booked 2 superior rooms and charged as such, nevertheless I received only one superior room -hard to say the difference between rooms. Restaurant: food very good. Service very slow, inattentive (for example we had to re-fill the wine or water ourselves). We've booked a table for 5 and received the most inconvenient place on the way to the door where they've just squeezed one more chair to a table of 4. Changed it after we talked with them to another table of 4 but better located. In comparison restaurant Bernerhof the second day was overall way better due to the service and attention to detail.

Staff was polite and probably well intended

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

Amazing Stay!
    • Economy Double Room

Keep in mind that it is a small town and several of the shops close at lunch and around 5.

What can I say about this property other than wow! We greatly enjoyed our stay and are already talking about going back for a longer trip. The hotel is nestled between the mountains in a small town where everyone will say hi as they pass. The hotel has its own restaurant, which is a little pricey, but worth the money. The hotel also provided free gondola passes for us to travel up the mountain -- and the views were amazing! Dinner on the front porch of the hotel watching the snow melt waterfalls was the perfect way to relax at the end of a day.

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

I have stayed at the alfa soleil 5 times.

I have stayed at the alfa soleil 5 times. Staff are devoted to making your stay as memorable as possible. Very pleasant, great gastronomy at Nico's restaurant and comfortable facilities. I did not the chance to try it all this time as I was just passing by... I am lucky to have discovered this little pearl in the alps.

• Reviewed: 19 January 2017

Perfect location
    • Superior Double Room with Balcony

Minor thing, make sure you buy a Switzerland adapter for the plugs. They are different from the rest of Europe.

We were greeted with a friendly smile by Alejandros. He went out of his way to help us. Advised us on where to rent ski equipment. The rooms had amazing views of the mountains. The breakfast was typical European fair with homemade jams and local honey.

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

Great location and Staff
    • Economy Double Room

For the Price of the hotel they could have had a better buffet for breakfast. The shower in our room was located on a slanted ceiling and we kept hitting our heads. Indoor Swimming pool was not heated.

The staff was very helpful The view from the room was great. Work out room was good.

• Reviewed: 15 November 2016

Very nice and confortable hotel, great view, but dry pool and closed restaurant turned it down
    • Superior Double Room with Balcony

We booked the hotel, among other things, because of the swimming pool. However, it was dry, and we could not use it. In addition, we were not informed upfront, but the restaurant was closed, and we had to find another. We also expected more from the poor breakfast (service during breakfast was also quite poor). The three points killed our rating for this hotel.

Bedroom was really great! And the room had a cool view of the mountains.

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

Comfy, warm, happy place.
    • Economy Double Room

There was come confusion between what we booked on booking.com and what we got when we were there. We booked for 3 people, but it didn't show on the reservation at the hotel. I showed them my reservation from the website, and the great news is that the hotel upgraded us at no cost to a triple. Bottom line is that the staff is fantastic - especially Daniel. They will take care of you.

The staff was extremely helpful whenever we had questions - very family oriented. The breakfast was pretty good. Coffee was excellent. We came there with no solid plans, and they gave us an itinerary that was perfect for us. We really enjoyed our stay here. I highly recommend it.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Room was spacious and staff friendly.
    • Economy Double Room

Kandersteg is a small town with not much there unless you want to hike around the area. The surroundings are beautiful. It was expensive for what was offered but not out of sync with the rest of the area. The restaurant was closed so we had a small continental breakfast offering, fine for one day's stay.

Room was spacious and staff friendly. It was off-season period so no restaurant or pool but was a comfortable stay.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

Beautiful views, large family room
    • Quadruple Room

Tiny elevator with no wall on door side. You'd have to be careful with kids. Everything was great.

Gorgeous views. We had the family room which was huge and excellent! We had a dining table and livingroom space. Daniel at the desk was excellent to help us out and give good information. Supper was great at hotel, very expensive in Switzerland so glad to have a couple of little supermarkets down the street. Got free cable car passes! And a ride to station.

Lovely hotel in a nice location, staff was very friendly and helpful!
    • Superior Double Room with Balcony

Lovely hotel with good view. Not too far from the gondola up the mountain.

A nice hotel and friendly staff, well run.

Very little

Very helpful reception. Picked me up from Station and dropped me off. Loaned me a good walking map and provided a cap to keep off the sun.

our room was in front of the elevator and there is the noise...
    • Economy Double Room

our room was in front of the elevator and there is the noise a whole day and night as per elevator is always working.

Bathroom smelled bad and not in top shape

Bathroom smelled bad and not in top shape

Good foods n lovely friendly hotel
    • Quadruple Room

Croissants lovely but only had it for one day they did not serve it for the rest of the stay

Personnel attentionné, locaux calmes, excellente situation.
    • Economy Double Room

Personnel attentionné, locaux calmes, excellente situation.

A very enjoyable stay.
    • Duplex Suite

A very enjoyable stay. Everyone was very friendly and helpful.

The best soup ever
    • Economy Single Room

The guest clumping around above at night.

Charming place, friendly staff, good rooms. The outstanding dinner.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

Great location, very friendly, welcoming, fantastic food and great with yound kids.
    • Economy Double Room

We didn't like all the mess we made with 3 very young kids!

Hospitality and being made very welcome by all the saff.

• Reviewed: 28 January 2017

All staffs were so kind and facilities were excellent for...

Wifi didn't work at room.

All staffs were so kind and facilities were excellent for family.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

Friendly, family run hotel.

Very large comfortable bed,recently refurbished room. Superb gourmet food.

There aren't much kinds of bread.
    • Economy Double Room

There aren't much kinds of bread. Not much fruit....

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

Rooms a little noisy if hotel is reasonably full

Rooms a little noisy if hotel is reasonably full

• Reviewed: 12 September 2016

AWSOME !
    • Economy Double Room

The Staff was super friendly and very helpful

• Reviewed: 17 May 2016

Croissants on Sunday were excellent, food in general very...

Swimming pool could have been one or 2 degrees warmer, shower in swimming pool could also have been warmer. Under the beds could have been a little less dusty...

Croissants on Sunday were excellent, food in general very good...almost excellent, staff very very friendly, great kids playroom, decoration of restaurant very interesting

• Reviewed: 2 February 2016

Our stay at Alfa Soleil was incredible.

Our stay at Alfa Soleil was incredible. The views from the room were amazing, the staff were very welcoming, and the location is ideal. The dinner at Nico's was one of the best meals I have ever had. It was an ideal hotel for a weekend getaway in the Alps!

• Reviewed: 29 December 2015

A great location with wonderful views of the mountains.

A great location with wonderful views of the mountains. The chef was fantastic and prepared superb food for us during our stay. Discounted public transport is also available which is very efficient.

• Reviewed: 28 September 2015

A short walk from town center but great restaurant on site...

A short walk from town center but great restaurant on site made it no problem. Seemed to be the most popular restaurant in town with locals as well as visitors. Exceptionally helpful hotel staff. Nice sized room

• Reviewed: 19 August 2015

Honestly I am not sure what to start with as every thing was...

WiFi signal need to be improve, that's all.

Honestly I am not sure what to start with as every thing was perfect starting from the moment we arrived with a warm welcome from Receptionist and and Nico. one of the best things that i had in this journey to Europe was meeting Seiler family the owners of this nice hotel. Thank you for the pleasant stay that me and my family had in your hotel and for sure if I am going to go back to Switzerland i will plan couple of days to spend in your hotel again. Ahmed Alshehri

• Reviewed: 18 August 2015

الموظفين جدا متعاونين.

الواي فاي جدا بطئ Wi-Fi is very slow

الموظفين جدا متعاونين. The staff is very helpful موقع الفندق The hotel location مطعم الفندق The hotel's restaurant

• Reviewed: 24 July 2015

I loved that the price of my stay included free access to...

The wifi was not working very well, the breakfast buffet could have had many more options, (there even wasn't any fruit), the walls are thin and I could hear the man in the next room next to me talking and snoring.

I loved that the price of my stay included free access to cable cars, there is a swimming pool, small gym, and sauna in the hotel, the room was comfortable with a wonderful view and a BATHTUB :-) I liked that I was given a ride to and from the train station upon request as a courtesy. It's a family-run business.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2015

- Free ticket to cable lifts is included during our stay

Breakfast - a bit limited choices and variety, however the fresh orange juice is a positive point.

- Free ticket to cable lifts is included during our stay - Restaurant - Attentive staff and owner, friendliness.

• Reviewed: 18 April 2015

Nico ,Romy and the staff at the hotel were very friendly and...

Nothing to complain about .

Nico ,Romy and the staff at the hotel were very friendly and could not do enough for you. The restaurant was not officially opened that night but Nico and his chef served us a wonderful meal.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2015

Clean facilities/rooms, large ski/wax room, the...

Understaffed which resulted in slow service, not catering to special dietary needs, poor quality of breakfast items (we have eaten much better breakfast in a Swiss youth hostel)

Clean facilities/rooms, large ski/wax room, the cross-country skiing trail is immediately opposite the hotel

• Reviewed: 5 March 2015

Location for ease of access to the Kandersteg- Goppenstein...

Expensive family room. They do cook fresh, so if the restaurant is busy expect a long wait. We had a long wait for meal to be served (1hour after ordering), so if with kids take some snacks and entertainment while waiting.

Location for ease of access to the Kandersteg- Goppenstein car/ferry.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2015

From the minute we arrived we felt at home in this family...

From the minute we arrived we felt at home in this family run hotel. Excellent service, friendly staff and the most amazing dinners! We will return!

• Reviewed: 5 January 2015

We had a large, newly renovated family room that took all...

Very minor remark - Would have liked some more alternatives for the breakfast buffet. It was good but not excellent in terms of variety of choice.

We had a large, newly renovated family room that took all four of us plus our dog. Very nice room overlooking the main road and the mountains across. Excellent restaurant - if you stay here go for a half board option. Kids enjoyed using the pool

• Reviewed: 6 March 2016

Everything except prices, but what to expect in Switzerland...

Transport is a bit slow, like every hour or so...

Everything except prices, but what to expect in Switzerland :)

• Reviewed: 20 December 2015

Friendliness of staff.

Friendliness of staff.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2015

Very good breakfast, nice view from the balcony.

Very good breakfast, nice view from the balcony. The food at Nico's was very good, but a little bit on the pricey side.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2015

The friendliness of the staff

The food was rather too rich for my taste

The friendliness of the staff

• Reviewed: 18 July 2015

Location, evening meal excellent, room

We were not told that there would be a charge every time we used the sauna

Location, evening meal excellent, room

• Reviewed: 30 June 2015

The location - wonderful

The location - wonderful The staff - couldn't be more helpful The hotel - lovely

• Reviewed: 14 January 2015

The food was excellent.

The food was excellent.

There are also 20 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.