Reviews of The Ambassador 4 stars

21, quai des Bergues, Saint-Gervais / des Grottes, 1201 Geneva, Switzerland

#29 of 95 hotels in Geneva

Good location , but don’t book the breakfast
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Air conditioning in the room was noisy. Breakfast was poor . The cereals - sugar puffs & another chocolate cereal were congealed in their containers & couldn’t come out. This suggests they were not fresh. The cooked food selection was unappetising. No toast available. Hotel decor a little dated

Excellent location .Room size excellent & bed comfortable.

I was surprised, when the hotel requested me to send a copy...
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

I was surprised, when the hotel requested me to send a copy of my ID and credit card! They could have checked that I stayed in the hotel before. As I was in a hurry I decided to comply with that request. Next time I wouldn't.

Book direct
    • Deluxe Double Room

Booking via booking.com was a very bad idea. The room we were given was on floor 6 the roof of the hotel. When it rained it was lije being in a caravan! We had to move rooms. The new room was truly 4* the original 2*. Amazing difference. Moral book direct!

Goid location

I don't think I'll stay again at The Ambassador

My booking was breakfast included. But, I've been charged for extra breakfast. Std. DBL Room and the bathroom too small for 2 with luggage.

Location and cleanliness

Good hotel in an excellent location.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Although there were electric metallic curtains outside the windows, noise from the street came through. Noise from cars and motorcycles basically. We were on the first floor though. Some noise from other rooms too. I needed to use earplugs. The pillow was too big and soft, a little bit like a big sack.

Breakfast was very good. Good variety albeit not very vast. Excellent coffee. The room was spacious and very clean. Comfortable bed. Good amenities and storage space. Bathroom and toilets were clean and reasonable size.

not value of money,apart from location.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The bathroom was very congested, not practical at all. No so easy to get into the bathtub. The step immediately after the glass door when leaving the hotel, is very dangerous.

The bed room was very average

Great location, excellent sitation for a short stay.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Tea/Coffee making facilities in the rooms - this could be better.

Location, closeness to cultural, commercial and the more unusual areas of Geneva.

For the rate charged, I wasn't impressed. I have stayed at better value for money hotels in Geneva.

We booked a double room but the only thing double was the bed. There was only one bath-towel. One wine glass and one coffee cup. Trying to explain this to the front desk, in English, was tiring.

Well situated.

My non-smoking room smelled like old cigarettes.
    • Standard Single Room

My non-smoking room smelled like old cigarettes. I don't think this room should be sold as a non-smoking room. I could not tell if it was the room or the ventilation problem. Either way, I made me feel uncomfortable.

Very nice location at the Rhône.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

My room was spacious and in good shape. Design is always personal choice and it was a bit to baroque for my taste - others might like it better than cooler modern designs.

Very nice location at the Rhône. Got an upgrade to a corner room with view to the Jet d’Eau and lake. Good, central location. Staff was friendly and helpful.

Location and staff
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The bed was two twin joining together ,not queen one like i said , and i didnt changed it because i cheked in in the morning and i came late in the night

Location and staff

Good location for a one night stay.
    • Deluxe Double Room

There were no gluten free options at breakfast, but I was given a reduction as they agreed with this comment. The car park space promised was taken, but I found a place on the street outside.

The room was spacious and comfortable.

Tired, but well serviced hotel!
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Gym was actually located at the hotel next door, so perhaps advertising that access to the gym is available, rather than hotel's own gym would be more accurate. Rooms are quite tired and in need of TLC. Very limited seating at the breakfast area, reservation and allocated seating would be useful. Only one very small lift, so could take like 10 minutes to get a lift on a busy morning. Shower was constantly overflowing, drains cannot keep up with the water pressure.

Smart TV was a massive plus, selection of toiletries and amenities in the room. Tasty and well priced food from room service as well as breakfast buffet. From room service: tried day soup, beef burger and fish & chips and all were very well cooked and delicious. From breakfast: quality of food and selection was brilliant, they even serve Coca Cola and iced coffee :)

Lovely hotel in excellent central location with friendly and helpful staff

All good

The extremely central location with lovely veiws of the city and Lake Geneva. The friendly, helpful staff and quite comfortable, recently renovated rooms and excellent breakfast.

#Escape from the Kids
    • Deluxe Double Room

I have no negative feedback.

We arrived on New Years Eve after dropping our children at the airport. Parking was on the street for us because we have a large car and conveniently we could park and stay out the front of the hotel (because it was a public holiday). We were greeted by wonderful/friendly staff. Our room wasn't ready but they took our bags whilst we explored and delivered to our room for our return. The bed was super comfy and being able to put our belongings in the walk in robe rather than tripping over them in the room was excellent. The bathroom was very well equipped and luxurious.

Fantastic and love the place.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Cleaning of bed and the lighting

Location is excellent and so are the staff. We had no issues during our stay. Our room was an amazing size. Clean rooms and nice bathroom

Good breakfast, excellent location, clean, warm.

Minus: double written off money for accommodation 300 ch for booking and 368 for check-out. It's sad.

Good breakfast, excellent location, clean, warm. We stopped for one night.

A great value option at the waterfront of geneva
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The breakfast is limited for a 4* hotel and expensive, you only pay for the view. Quality was just ok. You need to request anything extra, our waitress did not inform of the options, but they are provided (omelettes, eggs, toasts etc). Make sure to get coffee from starbucks across the street, the hotel's espresso and nespresso caps are no good. The superior room is on the small side. There was no stands for our luggage in the room, a matter which they should really look at.

The location superb. If you want convenience, this hotel is 2' mins from the tram and 6' mins from the geneva train station on foot. The old city is right across, including the restaurants on either side of the river. Our room was very quiet, no noise came from nearby rooms. Most of the staff were very attentive, a trait that we found rare in Geneva.

Great location and staff!
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Nothing really, it was all pretty good.

Location is excellent and so are the staff. We had no issues during our stay. Our room was an amazing size, we had a view of Lake Geneva also.

You will not be disappointed!!!! Train station just 5 minutes walk.

We liked the extra touches such as complimentary water, even for Christmas day we were given a card and Chocolates. We were given travel card but we did have to ask for it at reception, it was a minor thing as all travellers should know that it is given to you for the duration of your stay. You can use this Unireso travel card for ferry trips, trams, bus and airport trains. The Hotel is situated in the centre of many attractions and the River and views from the Hotel are amazing.

A must stay in Geneva. Excellent hotel and fabulously located

All was good.

Friendly and engaging staff. Superb location. good sized rooms and bathrooms.Highly recommend it. I would certainly book and stay there again next time I go to Geneva. Faultless.

Very happy guests
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Only downside, maybe: their beds are only 160cm wide.

We got a room with view onto the river; lovely view at night with the Christmas lights! The beautiful bathroom was as big as the bedroom in some other hotels. All very clean, tastefully designed and recently refurbished. They supplied a cot-bed free of charge. Christmas cookies available in the lobby :-)

My stay at the Ambassador was pretty good and I am really happy with my selection for this hotel
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The room which I got it has no direct view to the lake

The staff at the reception as well as at the breakfast were so nice, friendly and very supportive

I am pissed off because I did not get my invoice.
    • Standard Single Room

Booking says the Ambassador should provide me with the bill The Ambassador says Booking should provide me with the bill

I am pissed off because I did not get my invoice.

Very comfortablt hotel for a businessman visiting Geneva for a few days.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Nothing , we stay here always on our trips to Geneva. Always remember Geneva is one of the most expensive capital cities in Europe.

Great location to walk from the train station and tram stops nearby.Plenty of restaurants and bars nearby .

Excellent service from the time we arrived until we left.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The cooked breakfast could have had more choice and quantity, with bacon a bit chewy for my liking. Not sure Coca Cola bottles should have been available for breakfast?

Excellent service from the time we arrived until we left. Plenty of choice for breakfast, continental especially. Room was upgraded with great view over the lake. All rooms had electric roller shutters which could be put down if required.

Comfortable, excellent location, good pricing, friendly and helpful staff, fast wifi.
    • Standard Single Room

The hotel is the best I've stayed in in Geneva so far, with possibly the best price/quality ratio, relatively speaking of course (Geneva is an expensive city overall!). Great facilities, clean, generally super comfortable (walls a little thin though, but that's just its design).

Average hotel in Geneva.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

For a four star hotel, the facilities are slightly lacking. e.x. the bar is very modest and closes early.

The staff were very nice, good location, and big rooms.

Clean, good service
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Paid 550 euros per night in a 4 star hotel And breakfast was not included Was 6o Celsius temperature and the heating was not working Not double glassed windows so you can hear the noise from outside No black curtains, so waking up from 7 am from the sun

Clean, good service

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The staff very helpful and were a great assistance in parking the car for us. The rooms were large and comfortable and the hotel is in a great location.

They were completing road works outside the Hotel which were noisy

Excellent location clean rooms and breakfast was very good . Great coffee and professional service.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

Good night sleep, hat to work the next morning, very please it was very quiet.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Breakfast not included in the price. Pretty expensive for a breakfast. Many small cafes nearby. Not a problem at all.

The room are very large, clean and newly renovated Bathroom.

Not a luxurious offer
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The room allocated did match the one shown during booking at all. Very narrow, dark and gloomy, narrow bed, no slippers and only one bathrobe in the room on arrival. Personnel not cooperative, when asked for a room as advertised we were offered junior suite at 2.5 times higher price. This is NOT a Luxurious offer at all!

Great location! Cozy stay!
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Some rooms were more spacious than others. The AC system wasn't great!!!! Which made it really hard to sleep. We went during a heatwave so it was 32°C outside or more and the A.C. couldn't keep up with the heat. For me that was the most disappointing thing. Everything else was really nice.. but without ac in the heat it was tough..

The location was great!!!! It was right next to everything which was perfect! Just a 5 minute walk from the shopping area and The main centres. The staff were super friendly and helpful!!

Great Hotel in Geneva
    • Standard Single Room

Staff was excellent. Location was perfect. Close to all the interesting areas, on the water, I walked the entire time I was in the city and getting to/from the hotel was easy.

Fine place
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Found slight scratch on the rear side of the hired car at the time of returning the car at Geneva airport. It cost me money. Hotel staff did not let me park the car in the garage which is bit strange.

very friendly staff

Nice hotel right by the lake
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Could have done with a few more plug sockets in the room, there weren't any spare, e.g. for chargers, etc. which you would think is a relatively common requirement these days. No big deal, I unplugged a couple of lights and an iPhone dock which we didn't use. Don't know if this is representative of other rooms or not.

Hotel is a short walk away from Geneva train station, and right next to the lake. We were upgraded to a lovely huge room facing the lake/river, which was a nice surprise. Everything was clean, neat and tidy.

Generally OK
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Open gel and soap provided by the hotel is taken away and not replaced. The bar in the lobby does not serve drinks and/or any cookies all the time during the day. So if you have a meeting in the lobby you are quite limited in the options to be offered to your counterparty.

The bed was very comfortable. Very helpful reception. Quick reaction on additional requirements as, for example, electric adaptor.

Wow - what a great view and a lovely room to view the river from

No Restaurant on site

We were fortunate to receive an upgrade, this was lovely, a beautifully presented suite with a large window to view the river and a huge well appointed bathroom. Switzerland - everything is overpriced so we are grateful for the upgrade - it made the cost worthwhile - thank you to The Ambassador.

Good location, clean hotel
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The rooms were good but if a room is for two people there should be two bathrobes and slippers instead of just one.

The location of the property is very good. Staff at the reception were fast to respond and find solutions to the problems.

Lovely Geneva weekend
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Geneva is currently undergoing a lot of improvements and there are roadworks beside the hotel but this did not affect us in any way.

Excellent location, well positioned for the old town, the lake, transport, bars, restaurants and so on. Easy walk from the station. At my request the hotel very kindly allocated a room with a super view of the lake and the Rhone and you could lean out of the window to get a good view of the Jet D'Eau. Can't comment on food because we ate out for every meal. If we ever stay in Geneva again we would certainly use this hotel again.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

Spacious room with lake view,
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

We would have liked a restaurant at the hotel. After a day of sightseeing we had to find a place with good food.

Spacious room with lake view, bathroom with bidet, soft towels. Reception very friendly and helpful. Excellent breakfast - we stayed three nights. Inga & John, Cheltenham

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

Location, good room
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Breakfast too expensive, restaurant not working for dinner so had to eat out even tho jet lagged.

Excellent location, helpful staff, decent lighting, close to rr station

I loved the location.
    • Standard Single Room

I didn't know French, so it was hard for me to talk to somebody. In the hotel English speaking was only administrator.

I loved the location. Just across the street was Starbucks and 5 minutes walk from hotel was the main street with shops. Plus the public transports' stop was 2 minutes walk away from the hotel. Moreover, in the hotel I was given free ticket for public transport and staff was really nice and polite.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

A Smart Hotel in a good location. Good value for the money.
    • Standard Single Room

The Price of the Breakfast was a bit high charging me 24 Franks.

The Bell man whop helped me to park my car and get my package was very friend.ly and helpful. Also, the nice lady at the reception who gave me good directions

I did like very well the room.
    • Deluxe Double Room

I did not like the lady who was on the counter when I did check out. I told her to charge me the same amount blocked by credit card few days ago before check in and she refused and charged me a new amount

I did like very well the room. Bed very comfortable but not the pillows.

Fantastic View
    • Standard Single Room

The breakfast though was not diversified

The location of the hotel is excellent. It's a walking distance of many must see places in Geneva, such as the "jet d'eau", le Parc Des Bastions, l'horloge florale, but also to the shopping street . The staff were really very helpful and warm. I had to print the boarding passes of a group and this was done in 5 minutes. We were also so lucky that our room overlooked the lake and we woke up to an amazing view in the morning. It's a value for money.

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

Awful hotel
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

This is nowhere near a 4* hotel. The restaurant has closed down, the staff are at best "civil", everybody looks miserable, the atmosphere is depressing, the room backed onto a very noisy service area with machines kicking in every hour all through the night and all I could see was rooms and corridors with dirty beds leaning against walls etc. There's building work going on next door which woke me at 8am every morning and when I complained to reception about all of the above, I was told " well, that's the room you've paid for"! By the 3rd day I was beside myself and very distraught from having no sleep so I reported it to booking.com, who tried to resolve it but the hotel denied I had even complained! Awful, awful hotel, the bathroom was so small, every time I turned around after using the sink, I kicked a shower stool for the disabled which is beyond me why it was there because there's no way you would get a wheelchair into the room, let alone the bathroom. This hotel seriously needs an inspection and a few stars removing! I spent all of the days exploring beautiful Geneva and only returned when I needed to. Don't waste your money on this hotel. It was the worst hotel I've stayed at in my life and I'm a person who travels at least twice a year and always stay in 4 or 5 star hotels. I'm not a complainer and have only ever given good reviews before so please don't think I'm doing this lightly. If the hotel had even tried to resolve my issues with them, then I would not be writing this now.

Great stay if you pay
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The front desk staff was distanced and not as friendly as all the others.

The kitchen staff and the valet driver where very helpful and friendly, just great.

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

EXCELLENT HOTEL FRIENDLY UPSCALE LOCATION
    • Standard Single Room

STAFF WENT OUT OF THEIR WAY TO HELP AND INFORM. ASSSITED ENTHUSIASTICALLY WITH SUCH THINGS AS MAKING COPIES. LOCATION SUPERB ON THE RIVER WITH RESTAURANTS, STORES, CITY SCAPES WALKING AREAS IMMEDIATELY AVAILABLE. ROOM WAS CLEAN AND NEAT WITH AMENITIES

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

Cold Hotel and inappropriate staff.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The staff is not professional and very cold. I live in Geneva, I reserved for my business partner a room in this hotel. At the arrival, I explained to the receptionist staff that is the guest who will pay his room. The guest presented his Passport and payment credentials. The departure day, I came to pick up my guest at the hotel in order we leave for a long journey. At my surprise, the bill was at my name. I had to pay it and I had no choice, so I used my Credit Card and taped my pin number to allow the successful transaction. Unpredictably the receptionist asked me for a copy of my Identity Card after I paid successfully by Credit Card using secret pin number for payment as I mentioned. She said it is for accounting, I protested but again I had no choice. At the end she forgot to give me my papers back and I had to go back by taxi from airport to Hotel to recover them. I almost lost my flight to a far destination. She shredded the copy, in the front of me,of my identity card copy, saying that at the end she will not need it. Very cold staff and almost abusive. Ill advise all my industrial colleagues in Geneva to not reserve any time this hotel for there business partners.

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

I certainly did like the location on Quai des Bergues by The...
    • Deluxe Double Room

There was a room service but the choice is limited because of the absence, still four months after renovation work started, of a restaurant

I certainly did like the location on Quai des Bergues by The Rhône and the view on Geneva bay. The hotel is in Geneva centre but really quiet. It is quite relaxing

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

Great staff, good location , poor bathroom !
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The bath and shower were put in by designers & workmen that do not use showers themselves and have no clue how to install a safe and easy to operate shower.

Good location right on the waterfront in a quiet section of the city with a wide choice of top class restaurants nearby. The Front Desk staff are the real stars of this hotel !

• Reviewed: 21 December 2016

Nice hotel but rude staff
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The front of house rude and unhelpful staff

Nice room but very officious and rude desk staff - I wouldn't stay again despite the rooms and location simply because of the front of house staff (and they had no record of the booking.com booking in their records). The rude desk and reception staff were mitigated by a very helpful (and embarrassed by the desk staff) concierge

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

Location very good, comfortable bed, very clean.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Breakfast disappointing and overpriced. Strange electrical system in the room.

Location very good, comfortable bed, very clean. Good value for money by Swiss standards!

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

I had food problem from the breakfast and became very very...
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

I had food problem from the breakfast and became very very sick...the staff seemed interest but did not offer any solution we were already checked out of the room and I was feeling terrible and tried to lay, but it was not acceptable....since finally one staff felt sorry for me ( I think)...

• Reviewed: 24 September 2016

Not satisfied
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The reception staff were not flexible and friendly as expected. The fourniture is very old.

Beautiful view. The staff at restaurant were nice and friendly.

• Reviewed: 24 September 2016

our rooms where located at the 6th floor, but who ever was...
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

our rooms where located at the 6th floor, but who ever was residing above us was making alot of noises at all times during the day.. it was very noisy

• Reviewed: 23 September 2016

Excellent value and location

Nothing comes to mind.

The room was roomy with a bath and a half, quiet and lots of light (3 Windows). Beds were very comfortable as well. Decent selection in the mini-bar. Did not utilize the restaurant.

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

Read the edited booking
    • Standard Single Room

The old lady in the reception was acting in a way that she was not telling the truth about the room and reservation, also I edited my reservation before on booking but she did not accept that. The coffee in the room was without taste.

A coffee shop in front of the hotel, and location.

coming back soon

not applicable

over all everything is ideal for both and leisure needs.

A little bit disappointed compared to my previous stays.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Size of the bathroom totally unacceptable. Extremely small. Poor breakfast quality and variety.

Location and size of the room.

Location, cleanness, staff

Honestly nothing

Location, cleanness, staff

Great hotel The Ambassador
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Great location. Hospitable. Courteous staff. Lovely lake facing view. Clean and new.

As usual, this was a great stay.
    • Deluxe Double Room

As usual, this was a great stay. Staff were very nice and helpful. The room was quiet and very pleasant

The bathtub was a bit narrow and shower was a bit awkward

The bathtub was a bit narrow and shower was a bit awkward

Did the job with little other options

Small expensive no amenities

No bathtub.

Location. Staff

Short but pleasant

Not applicable

Rooms clean and spacious, staff friendly

Breakfast was a disappointment

Breakfast was a disappointment

Location is excellent for me, near GLOBUS, BON GENIS, ands...
    • Standard Single Room

Location is excellent for me, near GLOBUS, BON GENIS, ands the Cinema.

There was a leak in the hallway outside of my room door.

There was a leak in the hallway outside of my room door. The staff then quickly moved me to a bigger room. A very comfortable and enjoyable stay.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Room was a bit claustrophobic