Reviews of Dorint Hotel Basel 4 stars

Schönaustraße 10, 4058 Basel, Switzerland

#37 of 62 hotels in Basel

• Reviewed: 2 October 2018

Convenient location halfway between SBB Barnhof and Bad barnhof

Standard rooms do not appear to have control of air conditioning so overnight temperature too hot for easy sleeping and traffic noise too loud to keep the window open.

Closeness to public transport (Number 30 bus) Size of the room is good for 2 people. Shower easy to operate with plenty of hot water. Good variety of foods for breakfast.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2018

Hygienic level.

Cancelled the last night if my reservation and they charged me for the entire stay though my reservation wasn’t unrefundable. No Arabic TV channels Limited breakfast options for Muslims

Hygienic level.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

Nice apartment but not close to the city center.
    • Apartment

The hotel charged my credit card 70chf more than the total price indicated in booking. com reservation confirmation. I had to debate with the reception desk to get the proof that the money is paid back, because they asked me to pay parking regardless of the fact that my credit card was overcharged. Well, after over 30 min. unnecessary discussion at the reception desk on check out, finally I got the document with clear evidence that it had been hotel`s fault.

Spacious, comfortable and clean room with secured parking.

The gym equipment was in good condition, hotel room of good...

The gym equipment was in good condition, hotel room of good size, hotel is close to the Congress center and some good restaurants nearby in the old town.

Empathetic staff, comfortable hotel.

The double room was a bit small but still cosy.

The hotel kind enough to let me pay at the property even as I had issues with my card when I registered, thanks a lot, that was so kind!! Very kind and friendly staff. The breakfast was fabulous, one of the best scrambled eggs I have ever had!

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

I will never go again

Too expensive, rooms are small, and the facilities are very basic, so value for money is very poor. They don't refill the missing items (tea, coffee, sugar, even the bathroom supply like the Shampoo).

The location near the congress center. Otherwise, nothing good was about it.

Excellent relation quality/price and Staff TOP TOP helpful and kind!

Staff really excellent and kind: they help U in whatever,always smiling...Relation quality/price expecially in Suisse is excellent!Position closer to anything more then U could imagine. I have been two times: I will come back.

Frienly Stuff, nice location

I did not know that it is very complicated to have an air conditioning system in Switzerland. My sister was feeling very overwhelmed with the head, and unfortunately our rooms were very hot. Location was very close to the tram line that is why it was so easy to reach to the city center and also to the airport.

Stuff was awesome! They were very helpful and nice. So friendly, I really enjoyed their services. They provide us transportation tickets for 3 days. To be honest it helped us a lot.

Great stop-over in Basel on a 2 day drive across Europe!

I don't think there was enough clarity that I would be charged for my dog staying - the information on the website said we might get a bed for him and even bowls, and that we *may* be charged. However nothing was mentioned at check in and we didn't get any of the extras, which I wouldn't have minded, but if I had known I was going to be charged I might have insisted. Overall though, the dog really liked the hotel too!

I stayed here on our drive from Italy to Amsterdam. It was really easy to find and quite close to the main roads. It also had a great car park which was super useful. We were also really grateful that we got the free tram card, so we got to visit Basel a little bit, even though we only had a few hours available.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Room was clean.

Parking and breakfast are very expensive. There are many parking places around and it could be cheaper on weekend to park outside the hotel.

Room was clean. Location is nice.

Convenient location for transportation.

Check-in was slow and the housekeeping staff was not attentive. Our room was missing the coffee pot and coffee/tea bags and toiletries. On the morning of our departure, the maid knocked on our door twice before we checked out.

Convenient location for transportation.

Worth money to stay here

-free transportation card and discount for some attraction -super friendly and helpful staff -good facilities -close to the center, and bus/tram station

Great hotel, ideal for long or short stays, excellent accomodation choices & very helpful staff.
    • Comfort Double Room with Garden View

In house restuarant & Bar was a little expensive in my opinion.

Great, helpful staff, good location, clean & spacious rooms, good value for money & close to transport & shopping & huge variety of restuarants.

Great value

I would say I was not overwhelmed by the quality of the housekeeping. It did not seem like the room was thoroughly vacuumed (e.g. under the bed). But it was not a major issue by any means.

The location is convenient to downtown. No complaints about the rooms in general. The staff was great. I had an issue where there was a family of spiders right outside the window (which had to be open because of the heat) and they immediately moved my room, no questions asked.

great weekend in Basel
    • Comfort Double Room with Garden View

The gym is poorly equipped...better to go running along the Rhine instead! ;) A minibar in the room wouldn´t hurt either

conveniently located few mins to the tram stop to go downtown. Our room faced the backyard and was really quiet at night. Everything else was great and we enjoyed our stayin!

A great stay to finish of our holiday in Europe

No air conditioning. However, the hotel gave us a fan which was almost as good

Room was an excellent size, as was the bathroom. Both were spotlessly clean. Breakfast choices were very good. Also, very close to the tramline into the city centre and the hotel gave vouchers for public transport

Average stay for 3 nights at the hotel in Basel

No air conditioning No fridge Room service not available. Told to ring them back after having to go through reception to get through. Some staff were not very friendly. It may have been a language issue.

It was clean and close to the Rhine plus transport. Breakfast staff were friendly.

poor

Hopeless woman on the front desk, who failed to inform us that room service would finish at 10pm when we called her at 9.30 asking questions about what we could order. She also told us that breakfast would not include bacon and sausage, but it did, she was utterly hopeless.

The car park was secure.

Great hotel

Maybe cheaper bar food could be available instead of just restraunt food. But nothing really, hotel was great.

Great location, can walk everywhere or the free transport pass is great with transport at the bottom of the road. Hotel very clean and staff friendly.

Great place to stay for visiting Basel
    • Standard Family Room

- Underground parking (for an extra fee, but with direct access to the hotel elevator) - Good wireless connectivity - Clean room (cleaned every day) - Good breakfast

Good for a theatre break!

Breakfast and bar prices trop cher! I hate it when hotels give you hair/body shampoo in the same bottle! Could do with nicer products in the bathroom.

It was close to the theatre and tram stops. The room was small but nicely finished. Tea and coffee making facilities in the room. 12 pm checkout appreciated. Nice staff at Reception and in the bar.

Decent, but definitly not a 4* standard

The heating didn’t work, though the evenings in april can get quite chilly. Almost no toilletries, no mini bar in the room, poorly soundproofed, rather basic rooms. Matrases are very hard and pillows very soft.

The place is clean and the food at breakfast (19€/day) as well as dinner was good. There is a 25€/day garage parking option, as well as an elevator that goes straight to the hotel reception and floors.

Good central location for staying in Basel and easy to get around from here

Nothing I can think of

Good central location in Basel. Clean, tidy and well kept room. Breakfast selection was very good. Staff very helpful and friendly

Scam artists

Property is advertised as 600 meters from train station and it is 2.7k away. Also my Bank got in touch with me they tried to charge me 6 times all different figures would never stay here bud again and advise others to do also

I expected more. Not coming back.

No mini-bar at the room or snacks (not normal for a 4 stars hotel) There are no blanket sheets but a duvet which is short and doesn't wrap the mattress. No confy bed at all. Internet is terrible. The restaurant is bad. I had to wait 1 hour for my food.

The breakfast is good. Quiet location.

We received an upgrade to the "quiet side" of the...

We received an upgrade to the "quiet side" of the hotel. Which would have been a nice Thing if only our room didn't have a connecting door to the adjacent room which wasn't soundproof at all. We could hear every single move our neigbour made, which made our night's sleep very unpleasant.

Comfortable stay, quiet and convenient location.
    • Standard Family Room

Food very expensive but this is true across Switzerland.

Spacious rooms with kitchenette. Nice seating area outside room which was ideal to sit and talk once children were asleep.

Nice staff and facilities, as well as a very good location.
    • Standard Family Room

Upon our arrival, a small plastic bag with some leftovers (already deteriorating) was forgotten inside the kitchenette cabinet... A punctual failure from the cleaning staff I believe, as everything else was fine. The hotel restaurant is quite good in terms of quality for not in terms of quantity. Meaning, the menu is quite poor really (not many choices, kids menu plus one meat, one fish and one salad basically) and a bit expensive in my opinion. I've paid almost 40€ for the meat dish (which was amazing by the way).

Nice staff and facilities, as well as a very good location. Although it's not in the city center, we just need to walk (not even) 5 min to reach the nearest tram station and in 10 min we are there... Good value for the money when compared to other hotels we've been, I was surprised when I booked the room, as I was expecting a higher price... And considering that the (very good) breakfast was included, not bad really...

Very good price/quality for a weekend trip

Nice breakfast! We travelled with a baby and there was enough room in the breakfast room to put the stroller next to the table. Also the Basel Card was included which we found a very nice extra.

satisfactory
    • Comfort Double Room with Garden View

The impersonal, condescending manner of the staff, the fact that I was also asked to pay for the city tax thinking that I had made a complete payment in advance why have that kind of hidden additional charge when it can be included in the initial quote. On principle they have understated the real cost. The one size fits all mentality to arrivals...extremely robotic and insensitive. (It wasn't a double bed, but 2 singles together...)

It met my requirements, clean utilitarian, functional.

Good location and high comfort in the center of Basel, slose to some bars.

Price of the breakfast - did not go to the restaurant.

Good location, great class for the price. Breakfast could be included in the price, as otherwise restaurant is empty :)

I enjoyed it so much I want to make another booking beginning of February.

I could not stay longer

Everything was great and the restaurant was fabulous. Weekene free travel in Basel was a great ideal to explore the beautiful city

Suitable only for Messe visitors, not recommended otherwise
    • Apartment

Air conditioning was not up to the mark. A total disappointment for a 4 star hotel. Tried to complain but got no response from hotel staff. Did not pick up calls in the night. Next morning when we complained, they promised to have it fixed. But Nothing was done till evening. We had to change the room at night, carrying all our luggage.

Good sized rooms, good breakfast and free parking in garage

A good stay but would have been nice to have been a bit nearer the amenities

When we booked this our room included breakfast but somehow it was omitted off our booking. The room was nice but there was not enough plugs in the room. Also there was coffee etc in the room but only one of each so you were only could have one a day.

The hotel was very nice and our room.

Highly recommend, prices are very reasonable in the low season
    • Apartment

I highly suggest this hotel for business purposes, as well as for a family with kinds. Apartment with kitchenette is really spacious with necessary utensils and coffee machine. As for the breakfasts, it would be cheaper to buy something and cook on you own, in case of bigger family. Location -7/10. Not a brand new building, however well refurnished and redecorated.

Clean, Comfort, Good price

The location is not in the city center and you have to take taxi or use public transport to arrive to the hotel from the central train station.

This property is located about 15 minutes with bus from central train station. The reception was very friendly and helpful. the room was big enough and the bath was clean. The bed was really comfortable. The breakfast was complete.

The hotel itself is quite decent and the location is pretty...

The bed was sadly not very comfortable.

The hotel itself is quite decent and the location is pretty nice, although it is not exactly in the city centre. The staffs were all very friendly and helpful as well. Overall a great stay.

Cleaning staff very very loud early in the morning, bumping,...

Cleaning staff very very loud early in the morning, bumping, smashing, making terrible noise in the room next to ours, we could not relax, waking up nervous because of those problems, no respect for the customers The lady at the desk had no clue that the room was already paid, she didn’t even checked before asking us to pay the room! Not friendly!

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

Would stay here again!
    • Apartment

Although the location wasn't in the city centre, walking was only about 20 minutes and the tram line which was very easy to use was just around the corner. Staying at this hotel meant we were able to travel for free by trams which saved us alot of money! The hotel was warm and clean, the beds were comfortable and the staff were friendly

Would definitely recommend it if you can get the lower rates.

The hotel really doesn't have much character, so this is perhaps a drawback. Moreover, my room was lacking a mini-bar, which would have been a nice to have (and I would have made use of it, so a missed opportunity from the perspective of the hotel). The duvets were not very luxurious feeling, but I slept really well nonetheless.

Although the hotel is not very personal, the room was a good size, with a proper luggage rack, tea and fresh towels renewed each day. I asked for a quiet room, and mine was extremely quiet and I got very good sleep. Moreover, it was quite well-lit for being a business hotel and the internet was good. For me, what made it really comfortable was that the heating was working really well - I was unlucky to have a cold while I was there, but I was able to call reception and get help with regulating the heating. I booked the room at a discounted rate, and for the price it was really good value. It is within walking distance of some ok restaurants and an easy tram ride / slightly longer walk away from the core of the city.

The room was comfortable and affordable and an ideal...

The temperature in the room was difficult to manage - it was either too hot or too cold making sleeping a difficult task.

The room was comfortable and affordable and an ideal location for work.

Dorint Hotel Basel ABIM conference

The restaurant in the hotel was terrible. We found out that they do not cook the meals there and it is somehow some catering service. For the 4 star hotel absolutely unacceptable.

Good place, the price quite high ., But of course, normal level for Switzerland.

the staff
    • Standard Family Room

we arrived very late and haven't had family room as we booked through Booking. with two young children it wasn't the nicest experience... the hotel acknowledge its mistake and compensated us.

the staff

Booked a large double bed room and got two twins pushed...
    • Comfort Double Room with Garden View

Booked a large double bed room and got two twins pushed together along with two single duvets and I had paid extra for this room vs a twin, so seemed like a rip off.

Check your room prior you unpack.

Room was too warm (same comment I received from other colleagues in other rooms) and you cannot open the window as you are on a busy street. I got a room with 2 single beds while I reserved a room with a double bed. Design of bathroom is simple with old-fashioned white tiles.

Breakfast was good and staff at breakfast really tried to fulfill all requests.

Real nice hotel, warm and welcoming!

Our bed was one but w two mattresses and we asked for a change and they gave us a different room, at once! and there was no fridge in the room.

People at hotel were friendly and professional. Our room was perfect. Breakfast was delicious, w various foods, fruits... We enjoyed our stay.

Good business hotel

Room was very small, but had everything that was needed. Restaurant portions were small also and prices quite high considering the portions.

Good business hotel

Good stop over but wouldn't chose Basel again
    • Apartment

The location, and in general wasn't impressed with Basel at all. VERY expensive breakfast option

Nice clean hotel, friendly staff, ideal for a stop over

Fantastic. Exceeded expectations. Would stay in a Dorint Hotel again definitely
    • Standard Family Room

Not a lot of food options nearby but other than that, this was perfect.

Amazing service. Gave our daughter a teddy on arrival and cot was set up ready to go. Good sized room which even had cooking facilities. Child play centre available for older children (ours is baby).

Comfortable overnight stay - far away from the city center

NO FRIDGE in the room! The hotel is located too far away from the city center (few tram stops - not a walking distance). The windows don't fully open. Rooms could be bigger. Noises from the corridor. Due to a glass door, no sound insulation between the room and the bathroom. No wardrobe (just some shelves). Expensive breakfast. Limited advise from the reception staff on what to see in the city. Bring own toilettries, as the ones offered by the hotel dry skin/hair (also no body balm provided).

Free tickets for the public transportation, free parking for Genius members of booking.com. Spacious bathroom, clean room, comfortable bed. Soundproof window. Efficient AC. Comfortable shower cabin. Coffee making facilities in the room.

Good hotel for a short business trip.

The CHF 26,00 charge for breakfast was steep, but unfortunately usual for this category of hotel. One of the bar tenders seemed to expect a tip for passing me a small bottle of water (CHF 5,00) from the fridge, and was sarcastic.

Room very clean and comfortable, with modern fixtures and fittings. Quiet, with no street noise or noise from inside the hotel. Good air-conditioning. Nice variety of food available at breakfast. Helpful and friendly reception staff. Tram stop close by to get to my meeting.

I was not happy that there was no air conditioner in the...

Location, free transport pass, free luggage storage after we check out. Staff spoke good English and offered some advice. Over roll good place, but our room was very basic and not very spacious at all.

I was not happy that there was no air conditioner in the room and the bathroom supply (toiletry) was very limited. Also there was a long dark hair on the bedding once and floor was not alway mop everywhere.

Nice clean hotel with helpful staff
    • Apartment

Location, wasn't impressed with Basel, we only had one night there though and it was a Sunday with everything closed

Nice clean friendly hotel, good for a stop over

Easy to reach by car from the motorway, there is underground...

The receptionist wasn't very polite and she wanted to charge me for the room which has been paid already. When I explained to her that I ' ve paid already she just said on her system doesn't show, so I had to proof it as I showed my online statement . In our room we had only one towel so I had to ask for second one and when we came back later in the night we found out that we've got only one blanket! Obviously we've been given a room, prepared for a single traveler. There was a kettle and coffee and tea in the room, but the hotel charges f 5 CHF for a coffe made by yourself!

Easy to reach by car from the motorway, there is underground car park, which cost 26 CHF. There is tram stop close to the hotel and it's 4 stops to the city centre. The hotel gives you complimentary a travel card .

Excellent service in a great location

The double bed was 2 singles pushed together and was hard.

The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. Location is very close to both bus or tram stops which made getting around very easy. Good wifi and excellent, secure and free underground parking.

its awesome place to live with family. good connection with public transport.
    • Apartment

extra sofa in room was old one. not comfortable when used as bed.

Awesome breakfast, cleanliness was perfect.moreover nice and quite reception where you can sit for working as well as a nice garden for children outside as well. I will recommend staying here with family.

impersonal and inflexible
    • Comfort Double Room with Garden View

before leaving to the airport at 5 pm i asked if i there is the possibility to have a shower, proposing to pay up to eur 50 for additional cleaning costs. they said it is only possible if i pay 50% of the room rate of 254, because they cannot rent the room for this day any more. i cannot remember if the room rate was in euro or chf - anyway. when checking out i had to pay chf 7 for the tax (room was prepaid, no chance to spend additional money). they didn't accept it in euro because they had already exceeded their limit for this day?! i had to pay per creditcard. restaurant is closed on saturday and sunday.

distance to the fair

fair-priced hotel in Basel

staff a little lost, not always understanding what you need high prices at the bar / restaurant (but this is general for Switzerland) walls a little thin, could hear what the neighbors were talking (they were a little loud) invoice not very clear, needed clarifications from staff

free public transport if you book a hotel in Basel (including airport) modern, clean, nice view if you are on the side looking the interior garden, good wi-fi 10 minutes away from train (DB station), public transport

Nice clean hotel with easy access to bike routes and public transport, helpful staff.

Bike storage in garage, friendly helpful staff, nice spacious room. When there was a problem it was immediately dealt with. Staff able to deal with queries.

Short stay Basel

This hotel has a charge CHF5 if you use kettle and tea bags provided in the room. Not good practice especially when water and a tea bag would cost the hotel practically nothing. Such a small "complimentary" cuppa goes a long way. Please change your practice.

Clean hotel a short 12 minute tram ride from city centre.

Extra charge for rooms with air conditioning

Booking.com list air conditioning as a standard facility. However the Dorint charge a supplement of £20 euros for rooms in the part of the hotel that actually has it!

Very expensive.No breakfast taken.

Fine for an overnight stay

Location was very industrial but it was fine for us as just an overnighter on a very long trip.

Clean, parking, modern and friendly staff. Arrived at 2330 and checked out at 11 next day so was just a bed for the night. They give you a free pass for the public transport which would be a godsend if staying for a holiday.

Very nice hotel close to the exhibition square in Basel
    • Standard Family Room

The single beds were too hard and too narrow in my opinion. We reserved a family room for 2 adults and 2 children and the first room was too tiny and only had a single bed-sofa. Instead, we obtained two adjacent double rooms at no additional cost and without problem.

Very nice, spacious and modern rooms. Well maintained. Nice breakfast buffet and free parking was included. Close to downtown and public transportation.

Be wary about breakfast times

They changed the closing time of the restaurant for breakfast from 11am to 10am one day without notifying anyone and we had to argue to get some food that we had paid for in our package. The front desk didn't even know they were closing early.

Clean, air conditioned rooms very close to tram stop into the city centre.

It is very close to the center, has a parking space under.

The beds are not fixed to the ground, keeps sliding when you try to watch TV. Bar was closed at 22:38.

It is very close to the center, has a parking space under.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

Great location, but check facilities for Standard or Comfort Rooms

On the info on the facilities it states that Air Conditioning carries an extra charge. We found this misleading. It would be much clearer to say that Standard Rooms do not have AC and the Comfort Rooms do. Even more misleading is that the Standard Rooms have the AC controls - it's just that they are not connected. It was a hot night, we fiddled with the controls which we did not know at the time did not work, and had to open the window. That's the other problem....Standard Rooms are on the street side of the hotel and it is a busy street late into the night. The Comfort Rooms, we found out in the morning, are on the quiet garden side.

Wonderful location, and the free tram pass was a bonus. The staff were so helpful and friendly.

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

quite successful. central
    • Standard Family Room

Staff did not help to move suitcases

We were welcomed with toys for the kids at the hotel. The room was spacious, spacious and clean. There is a playroom for kids on the floor. Free parking is available at the hotel and is on the lower floor of the hotel. The kitchen facilities in the room are very good. You can easily prepare your own food. Breakfast was very successful and satisfying

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

Good business hotel option with easy aves to the tourist sights.

There is quite a lot of traffic noise during the night.

Free transport with accommodation in Basel. The #30 bus stops a few metres from the hotel door. It is also an easy walk into the centre.

Cool
    • Comfort Double Room with Garden View

variable room rates because it was so busy week I stayed

Great breakfast and friendly staff that make you feel welcome. Free Wi-fi and hotel also has a nice restaurant, bar that serves Bar food and a fitness centre + many conference rooms

Value for money
    • Apartment

There were dust under the sofa bed after we moved it next to the bed so our children could be sleeping next to us. Reception ladies could smile more, perhaps?

The hotel is good value for money. As we were visiting our relatives, the location is very close to their house, and not in the city center. It is however, not too far from the exhibition center with a no.30 bus stop nearby that take you to the main SBB train station and about 2-3 blocks away from the Badischer train station into Germany. Tram station into the city center is a 5-10 min walk. Room was well furnished and good size (30 sqm.) with kitchen and spacious bathroom. The hotel, like other hotels in Basel, do provide you with free city transportation cards for the amount of days you book with them. So tram, buses (including bus to Euro Airport) are free for most zones.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

Loved the location and access to everything
    • Comfort Double Room with Garden View

Booked a comfort double room got a twin room Had to get key card done most days Breakfast was poor Asked for extra blanket on bed did not receive Had to ask for extra towels as only 1 bath towel was provided in double room!!

Loved the location and access to everything

Nice for events at the conference center

The location seemed very convenient at first glance, but it is only close to the exhibition center. The nearest train station is a local one, and the main station Basel SBB is a bus ride away, in the southern part of town. Basel center is almost equally distant. The curtains in the room block light well but don't close fully at the top, so it's always quite bright.

The hotel seems very modern and is exceptionally clean. Some of the staff were very friendly, others were bordering on rude. There is no way to borrow an iron, but the hotel has a separate ironing room on the 4th floor. There is no microwave, but the staff were kind enough to warm up food in the restaurant.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

Family room was literally a single room.
    • Standard Family Room

Family room was literally a single room. Room very very small!! Beds were uncomfortable, we had backaches after!! Our bed was very small for two persons, and the sofa-bed was so small for a child of 9 years old. Literally, it was the worst family room, I have ever seen!!

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

Overall great accomodation
    • Standard Family Room

The quality of the room coffee was poor, and there was no milk, only powder creamer.

We booked a family room, which was a great size, ample room to move about, the little kitchenette was also a great feature

they need to update their booking profile

booking.com advertised this property to have hotel shuttle AND to be near airport. neither are true. the room was hot. air conditioning didn't work. window barely opened. stuffy. lumpy pillows. really expensive restaurant with really poor service and overcooked food. no top sheet on bed so you slept without any covers because the hot room with the thick comforter would have killed you.

lots of outlets in room. had swiss chocolate for easter.

Browse Dorint Hotel Basel traveller photo gallery