Reviews of Hôtel Astoria 3 stars

6, place Cornavin, Saint-Gervais / des Grottes, 1201 Geneva, Switzerland

#70 of 95 hotels in Geneva

Behaviour of some of the staffs of the hotel not professional.

Staffs of the hotel encouraged to contact directly to the hotel for next booking for better price.

Slight smell of drains in bathroom but not a major issue. Staff very kindly changed our soap and towels on second day but this was a bit unnecessary when only there for 2 days, might be a bit more environmentally friendly to have a system for leaving them out of a change requested. A minor thing, overall very happy with comfortable room in central location for a reasonable price in a very expensive city.

Great location opposite railway station, perfect for our early morning flight on departure. Beds big and comfortable, room at the back of the building very peaceful despite busy central location. Staff at desk very helpful, organizing some takeaway breakfast for us as we had to leave before breakfast began.

• Economy Single Room

The room space is small and it is not sound proof at all, you can hear everything from everywhere. The safe inside the room is very small. The breakfast menu could have more items like sliced tomatoes and cucumber. They served stale bread and toast at the breakfast (besides fresh bread) remaining from the day before, which I never expected to see.

The location is extremely great. The staff is kind and helpful. The Room was clean and the minibar is almost full. Very good city view. Breakfast is acceptable and satisfying. The wifi signal is good and powerful. The kettle or tea-maker is delivered on demand. Air conditioning is great.

The air conditioner was blowing towards the bed and it was possible to catch a cold when leaving it turned on for whole night. And without the air conditioner it was hot.

Comfortable, clean room, good equiped, was enough space for three people, good sound isolation.

• Economy Single Room

- structure is a little old and nothing special - breakfast could be better

+ position + wifi + overall comfortable and standard Geneva price (given the location it's really good)

Breakfast was very minimal at the pub downstairs. Scrambled eggs would have been nice.

Convenient location right across Geneva's main train station. Bed was comfortable. Relatively affordable - for Geneva.

Good location - a few steps from the train station and a short walk to the lake. Room was not big, but clean and well equipped. The staff is very professional and friendly. Good breakfast

On checking out the front desk person was very unfriendly in stark contrast to the person who checked us in

Close to the train station The pub next door Breakfast

• Economy Single Room

Reception services - I had an issue with my check-out payment early in the morning, and for a frequent solo traveller, it made me feel uncomfortable and unsafe (light were also switched off in the lobby, makes it even more intimidating). Having a night manager that speaks English fluently would also help. Thanks to booking.com for helping me resolve the issue.

Location - right in front of Gare Cornavin so excellent for travelling to the UNHQ via tram in the morning with non hassles at all.

The room was very cramped even for the two of us. The room was a little outdated but suited our needs.

The location couldn't have been better. It was pretty quiet to be so close to the Train Station and you could pretty much walk anywhere.

• Economy Single Room

Breakfast is amazing, Room service is very good, the room will be cleaned daily, Location is an advantage, very close to the station. Reception staff are professional.

I think you can get better places for the money they charge. Breakfast was ok but they weren't replacing the food which is annoying. I wish the staff were a little bit more helpful - with tips around town and showing the map & the guy at breakfast was so not helpful. If I ever come back to Geneva id probably shop around for another hotel.

the location is good. very close to train station. I don't think its worth the money. For an extra 50CFH you can find a place in the lake.

The hotel is well located, as we travelled a lot. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The room was on the 5th floor with a view of the cathedral. The windows are double glazed. So at the end of April it was ok. With the windows open you should sleep using earplugs. The wi fi was ok. There are a free minibar and a free safe in the room. The breakfast is of good European quality. Coop and Migros are located in the railway station, Manor is not far from the hotel. The public transport in Geneva is free as you are given free public cards. We went to Lausanne and Shillion castle, bought tickets in SBB railway station. The places are worth visiting! And Geneva itself exceeded my expectations)

• Economy Single Room

Nothing, the place was great.

Good breakfast, not just the typical croissants and cold meat. They actually had cooked meat too. It was closed to Cornavin train station (main train station in Geneva).

• Economy Single Room

The room is really small, and the price is very high. The staff were very unfirendly, they did not accept the payment done by my company and I had to pay with my personal credit card, when I asked the reason, they answered very bad and did not explain me well the reason, when I sked for more clarification they seem to be very upset to explain me again the reason they did not gave me before.

The location is good.

• Economy Single Room

guests should really check the price/payment terms - I remember different (lower) price at the time of booking for 4-night-stay through the show-page for Astoria Hotel - compared to the final sum ???

first of all, practically no distance from the main train station, which is perfect for train travellers, and proximity of public transport facilities perfect breakfast with different kinds of bread and abundance of butter :) really comfortable bed with no bumps/holes in the matress

Quite small room, Ac didn't seem to work on the room.

Breakfast, early check in, they heldnour vaga for us while we traveled to other location. Very well located, heavy windows hold the sound off.

As already stated not having air con at night was a little uncomfortable but we found leaving the window slightly ajar provided some relief

The hotel was very close to the railway station and not 5 minutes walk to the Lake. The hotel allowed our luggage to be left before checking in as our room was not quite ready and similarly we had a later flight and our luggage was kept very safe. The bar adjacent to the hotel is where you have your breakfast but also have snacks/ meals at a good price. The hotel itself was very clean and for us going before May and the week when it was hot, hot, hot, unfortunately the air con had not been switched on. So very hot the first night! The staff were English speaking and very polite and attentive to our needs

• Economy Single Room

I was not warned that on Saturday evening a life band will be playing in their restaurant (my room was just above it) so my plans for a quite evening has been destroyed. So, if anyone plan to stay at the hotel during the weekend, just ask for a room in a higher floors.

Generally the rooms are good. First I was in a single room then I moved to a twin room as my sister joined me for one day in the week-end, the twin room is much nicer. but in both I would be happier if I could make tea inside the room.

• Economy Single Room

I think it is time to renew the seats at the lobby with more comfortable ones and I think it would be a great gesture to offer 1 bottle of complimentary water per night which will also be a sign of the great Swiss hospitality...

This was my second time staying in this hotel in 2-3 years. Staff is the same people, again with polite attitude. The hotel is very central, right across the Gare Cornavin and very close to everywhere. The hotel provides you a free traveller card which you can use on public transportations during your stay and it is unlimited. This is actually a point non of the comments here mention. So we exploited it. Breakfast is satisfying and coffee is great. In terms of pricing, it is one of the cheapest given that what the hotel offers and where it is located. But still be aware, Geneva is the most expensive place on Earth after the Arctic Station.

Easy access to Cornavin rail & bus station. 10 minute stroll to Lake Geneva and city centre. 20 minutes walk to United Nations area. Plenty of restaurants and bars in immediate vicinity. Check in & out were trouble free.

The hotel is located above the bar, in which in the evening very loud music until midnight, it is impossible to sleep, even the floor trembles. I will never stop at this hotel again.

I arrived in Geneva in a fairly hot day. The Air conditioning was not working. A very stuffy, unpleasant room. No maintenance available. Three days in a stuffy room is more that I could have expected. Receptionist very unpleasant and uncooperative. poorly trained ( at least the one I dealt with from check in on. On Sunday morning very noisy construction sites from 8am. Not a good, quiet location either. Never again.

good breakfast

• Economy Single Room

One of the waiters (a blonde one) i came across at the breakfast was so rude i asked if he could set the table (he will just put a fork and knife) in front of the window for me.. he replied me in a rude and strict manner and told me to sit at another table.... His attitude was unacceptable.. i will never stay at this hotel again..

Location was perfect..

The staffs didn't have service mind. I booked for a very long stay (20nights) but got the smallest double room, no space for my luggages. I keep asking for changing to the bigger room if there is any on any days during my stays. The staffs keep saying no! I could not understand why? So I moved to the other hotel, the reason is because the other hotel said, we understand that you will stay so long and we want to make our guest happy! They even provide free upgrade to the higher rate without any asking. I travel to all of the world, all hotels accommodate the guests' request. But here, the answer was, anyone can request but it is upon availability? I can say, this is the first time I realize the word "service mind", the hotel is one of several business that provice room "service".

The location, I had a short stay (2nights) last year and came back because of the location

The breakfast was very very basic and I didn't like the fried eggs at all, couldn't eat them.

The hotel is in a great location just in front of the train station, the room was nice, quiet and clean. I would not expect more from a property like this, pretty happy with my stay!

The pillows were too soft and did not provide support for the head and neck.

Friendly staff and perfect location. Lovely breakfast with chocolate drink provided too.

I would like some vegetables for breakfast.

They give us a very large room on the 6th floor, with a nice view to Cornavin station and the old church Notre Dame. You have all necessary connections, city centre10 min walk, city transport, trains, buses and to airport. The hotel offers a City Pass for transport (like many other Swiss hotels), but expect to pay an extra 3-4 CHF/person as city tax. Average breakfast (at Britannia-the ground floor restaurant).

• Economy Single Room

The recepcionist was very unhelpfull, still looking at PC monitor during conversation. He looks like working as a słave who is angry becouse he must be nice to people, which is not his favorite thing to do...

Lokalizacja

They wanted us to pay the tourist tax twice. Of course it was our fault for paying it and not asking for a receipt. However, we do have memory and we were abolutely sure we had paid for it.

The location was perfect and the free transport card was a very good plus. Staff from the Breakfast service were really nice. We loved the view from our room.

The room is smaller than I expected, not even have a night stand

The breakfast is really good, down at the pub besides the hotel. The location is surperb. Ovrrall good value of money

Breakfast oriented a lot on sweet and little on salty. But it is subjective

Nice city and very good hotel. Hotel near the central station. Staff and reception very gentle. Clean and good structure. Comfortable bed and rich breakfast

• Economy Single Room

Room sizes are rather small

The staff are very helpful. The rooms are clean, the bed is comfortable. The location is perfect, the cost is reasonable. Free WiFi is a special attraction.

More tourist brochures and the front desk officer can be more helpful in explaining more about the city when asked.

Its location near the train station and shops

Receptionist snuck a look at the back of my credit card (cvc number) - made me feel uncomfortable and I had to call my bank to block the account just in case.

Checked out prior to breakfast

Decor is a bit outdated, but not a problem. Was only sleeping there.

Great location, was clean, has all the basics. Breakfast was simple in the pub downstairs but it is a buffet so was great.

• Economy Single Room

My room faced the main road and the windows didn't really keep the noise of speeding youngsters and trams outside. If you're a light sleeper, you might reconsider or ask for a room facing away from the road.

Stayed for one night. Simple, but convenient hotel. Perfect location if you're planning to take the train next day. Location of the hotel very close to many places in Geneva...walked everywhere. Staff friendly. Liked the old-school vibe in this hotel.

• Economy Single Room

Wifi was a little week at the room but good at the lobby. Sound proof in walls needs to be improved. Breakfast was good but was the same everyday. It lacked fresh vegetables. Room was basically clean but can do better especially that they are pet friendly. Miguel at the reception is snobbish and does not fit in the reception. You have to ask for a boiler, tea and coffee and they provide them. Paper cups are provided no glass for the use.

The location is excellent in the heart of the city. Transportation is accessible easily. The heating system was very good. The staff are generally friendly. The manager made an effort to upgrade my room free of charge due to my long stay. The bed was comfortable. Special thanks to Das at the reception and Manuelle at the floors for their cooperative attitude face. Miguel at the reception does not have a friendly attitude rather a snobbish one. I recommend training him to be more professional with guests from different nationalities. I had room number 307 and the view was great. It was little bit far from the noise of the pub at the ground floor. I'll stay again in this hotel if I visit Geneva again.

• Economy Single Room

Haven't been in a hotel in GVA in this price range with such a comfortable climate on the room and comfi bed. Nice people and breakfast in bar with nice atmosphere.

• There weren’t toiletries in the bathroom • No sleepers in the room • Housekeepers never wipe the dust in the room, and at the reception as well • No vegetables for breakfast

• When we came at the hotel, receptionists met us very kindly, also they were very helpfully to us • Breakfast was good, only thing wasn’t enough for us - they don’t serve any vegetables • Room wasn’t really small, just enough. Viewing the main road, which I used to like it • Great location, just crossing the road was train station, bus station, trolley bus and tram..10-15 minutes walk to Lakeside • Even there was main road and much public transport and cars, it wasn’t noisy, we could sleep good • Comparing with another hotels for this area, price was good • I liked very much that cleaning is done every single day, and bed covers are changed daily as well

They blocked pre payment (about 40% unexpected) and 3 days left after leaving: no anything unblockt!!!!! More over, today I received one more (dubble) charging of the ful sum for staying in the hotel. Tomorrow will discus with the bank the cancellation of dubble charging.... so much problems with this hotel...

Breakfast could have been better definitely

Nice location, 2 minutes to train station, 10 minutes to Jet D'Eau. Friendly and helpful English speaking staff.

• Economy Single Room

The only thing I didn’t like too much was the limited hot breakfast of veal sausages and bacon and hard boiled eggs every day.

If you want to be next to the train station in central Genève this is the hotel for you For the price. It’s a fine hotel.

Heating could be better.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Good breakfast included in price. Nice comfy room, good bed, good shower and good WiFi. Close to main train station but quiet.

Breakfast could have been better

The location was ideal if you're visiting as a tourist, close to the train station, shops and restaurants. Very good value for money

Bathroom a bit too small and not many drawers to put clothes in.

The location of the Hotel was excellent, being just over from the main train station. This was also very handy for travelling on the numerous trams, buses and trains which were all nearby and free , as the hotel gives you a pass to use on them. The pass is also valid on the small taxi boats on the lake. The Britannia Pub downstairs was also very nice and this is where your breakfast is served. Which also was very good.

If one needs gleaming, high-end luxury and comforts; look elsewhere. Rooms aren't big. Pillows squishy rather than supportive. Breakfast plentiful enough but no variety day to day; scrambled eggs cooled off rapidly and were too soft/watery for my taste. Bacon plentiful but not served crisp. Antiquated shower and tub. Hotel supplies only soap/bodywash combined; no hair conditioner. No coffee/tea maker in room as per usual CAN/US standards.

Stay at Hotel Astoria if you are looking for an inexpensive, well-located place to sleep in Geneva. Things we enjoyed: quiet at night even though the room faced a busy street, very clean, safe deposit box in room. Everything worked; water hot and sufficient.

The rooms are very dated and bathroom has been renovated since the 70s. Bed wasn’t that comfortable.

The breakfast was fantastic and location excellent.

breakfast is served at the back of the restaurant, while we are not allowed to have breakfast at the nice tables advertised for on the page (close to the window). Those tables are left to be used ... by no one ! it's a shame.

The proximity to Cornavin Station is really convenient ! Excellent Location ! The facility is clean and the rooms are just ok !

No electric kettle in the room and staff need to be more friendly. The staff that we encountered didnt crack any smile to us when we check in or check out. Thats a litte bit let down.

Location are good and they give us free public transport ticket. The size of the room not what we expected (a bit small) but it is ok.

• Economy Single Room

Convenient budget hotel for short business trips. It is located near a train station, so you can easily reach the city centre or airport (8 minutes by train). Pleasant lobby, friendly staff, good cleaning, fast wifi.

The bar is used as the breakfast room. So, you eat breakfast in a vey dark environment. I wish there were facility of hot water so that we could have coffee/tea during the night in the room.

Very close to the station, but not noisy at all. Facilities in the room are well maintained and clean, and unlike many small hotels in Geneva, they are harmonised (i.e. does not look like a collection of used items). Lighting is good and enough for work in the room. Common area such as the lobby and hallways are also neatly arranged. Breakfast has hot foods.

• Economy Single Room

Very expensive for basic hotel facilities. Hotel room extremely small. No coffee and tea facilities in the bedroom.

B/fast same thing everyday except Saturday. Staff very helpful and friendly. Good location.

The bathroom was extremely small. No amenities like Electric Kettle for tea/coffee. Shampoo/ Toothbrush in the room. Upon request they give you a kettle the staff are extremely courteous and helpful.

Rooms on 6th floor facing the cathedrial has excellent veiw. Pillows were soft and fluffy. Breakfast was good - the smile on the faces of the staff made us feel good and welcome.

VERY clean. Not a fancy place but had all the amenities I need, even a mini-bar/fridge. Very tiny bathroom. Super convenient to train station and all transportation. Very good value!

Dated fittings and small room. As is the custom there were no coffee / tea making facilities.

Good location near the station. Hotel was very quiet despite this (we were on 6th floor). Everything was very clean.

The room is a bit small

Close to the train station, but not easy to find as the train station has so many exits. The reception staff is nice when we checked in, but not very kind when we asked for a kettle.

Very friendly very clean perfect location across from the railway station perfect if your travelling by train they were happy to make us a breakfast box up to take on our early start the next day

• Economy Single Room

One thing that really grated on me was on the last night when nightstaff turned out the lights in the lobby while I was sitting there talking to some friends who I coincidentally ran in to. We weren't allowed to go up to my room to talk further and he kicked us out of the lobby to clean although it's supposed to be a 24 hours lobby. We had to go to another hotel to continue talking and when I returned I got sassed by the night staff why I came back so late. Very upsetting.

Good location, very central with easy access to public transport considering the train station is right opposite the hotel but no noise. The day staff was very polite and helpful with a lot of knowledge about Geneva. The room was cleaned impeccably and very comfortable.

There was a little bit noisy during the openning time of the bar, but fortunately, it not last till midnight. :-)

The location is quite good and the receptionists here were quite nice and helpful. At the last day, when we wanted to mail some post cards to hometown, the gentleman supplied us with stamps and promised to mail those cards for us. Now my family and friends are looking forward to receive them, hope those can reach before new year. This hotel can also supply with electrical water heater when being asked, as you know, hot tea is very important to Chinese, especially in winter. The breakfast of the hotel is good enough for a traveller.

It was a bit on the dingy side to be honest. We had to ask for a kettle in the room. It certainly was not what we expected more a rather two star affair. When thinking of what we paid we thought it would have been much less shabby. Although we did wonder if it is because I am so much older than my partner and we maybe look a bit odd. Perhaps they gave us a room more fitting for a less long term couple. We got that questioning look alot on our travels.

The ease of having somewhere very central was a bonus. however it was kind of noisy which would not have mattered if all else was great.

TV Remote batteries were down twice , the access door lock batteries were down and required replacement the system upkeep could be better!

Breakfast was fresh and warm , staff was courteous , location is with easy access.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Bed very comfortable but used to King Size. Would have liked Coffee making facilities in room

Reception person on Monday 11th VERY helpful and friendly. Breakfast fine and adequate - not too much but enough choice. Croissants lovely!!

• Economy Single Room

The pillow was too soft for me.

The staff are extremely helpful. They offered me an umbrella as the day was snowy and the hotel restaurant where you have breakfast (included in the hotel fee) dinner etc. is very friendly offering excellent food at a reasonable price.

Housekeeping

Worst hotel experience I had in Geneva!The rubbish bin was still dirty. And someone left half bottle of wine in the corner but housekeeper didn't find that. And it was a smelly room☹️

• Economy Single Room

Very loud, road repair work going on 22:00 to 2:00, if you book this hotel ask for a room away from the main road, in the back. Check-out painfully slow Bad coffee

Excellent location

• Economy Single Room

The whole hotel is very run-down and has an odeur of fried food in the rooms from the entrance level pub. Strange to have breakfast in the pub with beer-drinkers at 7 a.m.

The location is excellent.

Continental breakfasts - no vegetables, can fruits only (disaster for vegans). Door closing system and very narrow corridor caused I have hurt myself yet the reaction of the receptionist was just giving me the leaf of a band-aid. Asking for an invoice for the company name seemed to be a problem because I did not report the need before... Overall a nice hotel needing more helpful and understanding receptionists...

Good location near the center, silent room (backyard window) helped to rest,

Room was too small, and although I said I had seen a larger room when a colleague stayed, they insisted they are all the same size. Pictures do not agree with this.

Location, attached restaurant, reception very attentive

• Economy Single Room

The quiet, off-street, side of the hotel is great. Not too sure about the front though. Ask! The bar is not for me but that is just a personal preference. I'll be back, definitely. By the way, I don't like being "forced" into declaring here whether I was working or accompanied!

Great location. Nice staff.

• Economy Single Room

The breakfast menu was the same everyday and didn't give much options especially with the warm foods.

The room is fine and the bird comfortable. And as per my request, the room was available by the time I arrived at about 12.30 hours so didn't have to wait till 14 hours.

I should have asked for an extra pillow :)

The location is great, staff is very helpful, the bonus was to have tickets for public transport issued by hotel - everything was great

The breakfast area, the presentation of the food, as well as the food itself was not set up, cooked and presented with love at all.

I liked the lovely receptionists as well as the spacious and calm room.

• Economy Single Room

Duvet smelt of smoke. I wrote 2 emails to the hotel enquiring about the breakfast timing and never received an answer.

Great position opposite the railway station. Unfortunately plane was 2 hours late so only had 6 hours there but the bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was excellent with a mixture of continental and hot dishes.