Reviews of Hotel Belvédère 3 stars

Galliweidli, 3823 Wengen, Switzerland

#20 of 40 hotels in Wengen

EVERYTHING! Best views in Wengen. Warm, friendly staff, varied breakfast, very comfortable beds, balcony with amazing views, perfect location. Highly recommend!

• Double Room with Jungfrau view

Delightful room with a view..Very friendly professional staff; good breakfast. Buffet dinner available at a very reasonable price. Transport to station available

They were not geared up for evening meals (being just before the regular season) but staff was very helpful.

Valley and mountain view was beautiful. Excellent breakfast. Comfortable beds.

Unbelievably beautiful views, great location, extremely friendly and helpful staff, lovely, cozy decor. They have really maintained the beautiful look of an older hotel but have updating to keep it very clean and fresh. I can't wait to return someday!

• Double Room with Jungfrau view

Bed was a little lumpy, wardrobe rattled when we walked around the room and when someone walked past our room in the corridor, had to ask for tea/coffee making facilities. Hotel looks a little tired from the outside.

Staff were fantastic, lots of English TV channels

• Standard Quadruple Room

The room could do with new decor and updating

Its a beautiful old building. The lounge is very pretty. Its a short walk from the train station which is useful as Lauterbrunnen is a car free village. Staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Double Room with Jungfrau view

Would be great if got to know they have Wengen Station pick up service when makes reservation

The room view is fabulous and the front desk really helpful

The room smelt of puke. Though as per Booking.com, I could pay at the property, but they had already charged the credit card, the day I got in...

Nice breakfast spread. Very good mountain view.

It rained off and on for a day. That is the only thing we didn't like.

The balcony with flower boxes that attracted hummingbirds was my absolute favorite! The cows with bells ringing wildly being taken a day's end back to pasture was a magical daily late afternoon event. The large windows that opened like shutters brought the Alps and the amazingly fresh mountain air into the room. The room was lovely, clean, and quite spacious. Breakfast buffet's delicious variety insured all had their favorites. From eggs to bacon, to 3 types yogurt with fruit, to 4 types of cereal, to sausages to breads of every type and jams and jellies to go on top......We ADORED breakfast.....definitely worth including as well as the gourmet 5 course dinner!!!!! We loved the friendly staff for they were ready to assist at a moment's notice. We are DEFINITELY returning to this same hotel when we go back.

• Single Room with Jungfrau view

The room was comfortable with an amazing view of the mountains. The staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast was nice, a little small on the selection, but everything was well-prepared.

• Standard Triple Room

Some cups in the room are not ecological. No kettle. No ash tray on balcony. No TV to see local tourist info. Didn't reply the inquiry from booking.com for how to organize the pick-up service. The arranged tables for breakfast and dinner were not directly next to the window. Probably because we are three instead of four persons.

Friendly staffs. Convenient luggage storing service. luggage can be put in the sister hotel next to the train station. Nice breakfast and dinner. Got a even better price for the second and third day. I booked the first day via booking.com. The next day morning, I found it is even cheaper on booking.com. I asked the staff how much should I pay if I stay for two more nights. They gave the price for first day. But after showing the better price from booking.com, the manager gave even a lower price.

• Standard Quadruple Room

it was relatively hot and we cant keep our windows open in fear of insects creeping in

Property is located up the the hill . they will provide only twice transport from the station it is not recommended for families with babies

• Standard Triple Room

The personnel is very friendly, speaks many languages, the restaurant is good value for money. It is located in a car-free village, and there are hotel shuttles who to call for free from the train station for pick up.

Only half of the staff were nice. If you are English speaking/not a family, you don't feel quite as welcome. Room was too small, mattresses are bad and we had only 1 wall socket!

The evening meals were good though the breakfast had too few options.

My credit card was charged before I arrived at the hotel without my knowledge and on a card and currency that wasn't best for me. When I asked them about it, they said than can do that although the reservation at booking.com say that charges are collected when arriving to the property. The agreed on cancelling the charges after I have spoke to booking.com support. But due to currency changes I ended up paying for the cancelation ! + charged 15 chf per night for a baby crib !!!

Great view

• Standard Triple Room

A bit hard to get there but that's just part of traveling to that region not the hotel's fault.

Great location with wonderful view. Easy to get to attractions around. Dinner and breakfast are great.

• Standard Quadruple Room

No air-conditioning so we had to keep the windows open and we were given a little table fan which helped. Make sure you get a room with a mountain view or you may be disappointed. Quadruple standard rooms are very cramped so spring for the larger rooms.

Unbelievable view of the Lauterbrunnen Valley and snow covered Alps from our balcony. Modern bathrooms, comfy beds, hearty breakfast. Scenic 10 minutes walk from the railway station. The hotel sent an electric car to help us with our suitcases from and to the station. Vincenza and the lovely team genuinely care about their guests and it shows!

• Standard Quadruple Room

Rooms (bed matresses, pillows & towels) should have been renovated. Fairly low value for money.

Excellent location and great restaurant. Excellent service!

• Standard Quadruple Room

Breakfast is not that varied. Need to add different food and to consider vegetarians, Muslims' people, etc

The staff were friendly, helpful and cooperative.

• Standard Quadruple Room

Extremely happy with our 3-night summer stay for family with 2 adults, 2 teenage kids AND 2 dogs, who were by the way welcomed and treated just as nicely as we were! Very spacious rooms, gorgeous views from the room and private balcony to Jungfrau mountain peaks, and a fantastic service far above what expected, already from check-in at reception. Charming old-style hotel, with the feel of stepping back in time into a 5-star hotel in the 1940-1960s with classic furniture and style. The headwaiter in the restaurant is one of the best we have come across in our many travels in Europe, Asia, US and Africa. Incredibly friendly, attentive and very "personal" in his approach. The dinner buffet followed the high standard. Despite appearing small, everything was of delicious and suiting a hotel with more stars. Another very positive surprise considering the dinner buffet price of "only" CHF 28/adult, compared to cost of a simple main course at other Wengen restaurants of CHF 35-45. Very happy with our choice of hotel - whilst Wengen is an expensive place to stay - it is definetely worthwhile and the Belvedere Hotel was very good value for money. We will definetely choose the Belvedere Hotel on our next visit to Wengen!

• Standard Single Room

While I enjoyed the quiet of my room, it was very difficult using (of all things!) the soap and shampoo dispenser in my private bathroom. Then, the free WiFi promised was hard to start on my own.

The dining room where the breakfast buffet was served had a beautiful view of the surrounding mountains. The dining staff was excellent in setting up the dining room, serving guests and even personally remembered how I liked my coffee. My room had a bucolic view facing Mannlichen and was for the most part quiet (what I wanted!).

I really liked the hotel interiour as the hotel main lobby and bar were decorated close to as they were over a hundred years ago, when the hotel was opened. I could almost see Hercule Poirot sitting in the bar sipping his Tisane :) I was fortunate to get my room from the top floor with a view directly towars Wengen and the Junfrau. And what a view it was. Try to get a room facing the Jungfrau and you almost wish to spend your vacation just admiring the view. I added a view from the hotel room balcony to this review. The room was clean and well furnished for three star hotel. Breakfast was also good and plentiful. Location can be a bit far from the Wengen train station for some as you will have to walk uphill to get to the hotel. Fortunately the hotel has car service available for those in need. I can highly recommend the hotel.

• Standard Triple Room

We had a triple room that was pretty small -- if there was less furniture in the room it would have been more comfortable.

Lovely building with lots of charm and detail. Beautiful dining rooms and main parlor. Nice spacious bathroom with good shower.

• Double Room with Jungfrau view

The pillows were so soft that I found it hard to get comfortable , otherwise everything was terrific .

Loved the gluten free food and the staff extremely helpful explaining which buffet dishes were Gluten free. Delicious food and good value.

• Double Room with Jungfrau view

I would be much better to have comfortable and bigger beds; softer linen, A/C and the absence of the church bell ringing time every half and hours (through the entire night).

Food and view; friendly staff

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

• Standard Quadruple Room

Nothing. It was a perfect stay.

Very nice staff, excellent buffet breakfast and the best views of the Alps imaginable! The room was clean and the entire place was charming! So quiet at night too. At breakfast, the team treated us like royalty. The photo is our son and the view from our room.

• Standard Triple Room

Cozy and clean room with a patio and the most stunning view on the snow capped Alps. A fantastic buffet dinner for the guests, as well as breakfast. The hotel decor and super courteous staff make you feel like you just stepped into an old world luxurious retreat. The town of Wengen is very lovely as well.

• Standard Triple Room

Some noisy guests disturbed the peace on 1 night, when they came in late and were shouting and banging doors. Although this was irritating, it was in no way a reflection on the hotel - and the manager dealt sternly with the offenders at breakfast! (In full view of all of the guests they'd woken at about 3AM - which we all rather enjoyed!)

Older-style hotel in a lovely setting. Good breakfast. Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

• Standard Single Room

Amazing breakfast, very helpfull staff: they arranged for me to keep my room at the last minute for another night, no fee change, and made sure somone helped me with my gear to the train at 7am in the morning, before staff arrived at the hotel.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

• Standard Quadruple Room

tired and old decor, food was average, yet expensive to stay there. location not ideal as need to bring your skis to a central location to reach gondola or train.

very nice staff but clueless, for example they did not know that kids ski for free on saturdays in the jungfrau region, they wanted to sell us tickets.

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

The rooms could use some updating, but that's only if I'm being particularly picky. I really would not have changed a thing about our stay. Totally satisfied.

The staff went above and beyond without any prompting needed. First, when we called the hotel from the train they asked us what time our train would arrive and arranged a car to pick us up and carry us back to the hotel. Then, when we arrived at the hotel, they had upgraded our room to a top floor corner room with a large balcony and stunning views of Wengen and the Lauterbrunnen valley down below. The bed was comfortable and the breakfast was in a charming peaceful area dining room with good views and a good spread of food. To bring it all full circle, the staff gladly held our luggage while we went skiing, and even had it transferred to their sister property near the train station so that our bags were waiting conveniently for us right at the base of the slopes and across from the station when we finished our long day on the slopes. Great experience!

• Reviewed: 3 February 2017

• Standard Quadruple Room

The entire place is in need of renovation. Everything looks and feels about 50 years old. Not dirty or uncomfortable....just tired and worn out.

Hotel belvedere is in a great location for Wengen. Close to shops and restaurants. Staff was nice and friendly. The rooms were very clean.

Lift waiting times can be slow so be prepared to walk or wait. Not suitable for persons with walking difficulties.

Vintage 3 star hotel typical of the Oberland but in an art nouveau style. My first time in this particular hotel. Hotel is a little out of the centre of town so quiet but restaurants within short walking distance. Cable car 5 minute walk. Excellent staff especially the Manager and her reception staff, the dining staff, and porter who gets you from the station and takes you back with your luggage, especially helpful as he put our bags on the train. We were very pleased to get an upgrade on arrival so that a friend could also have a mountain view. We didn't pay extra for this so thanks again to the Manager. Bathroom was not too tight as in some hotel rooms in this resort. The bedroom had a modern tv, spacious cupboard with a safe. The bed was comfortable. Extra pillow available. The balcony on upper floors has an excellent view of the valley and mountains. Breakfast had a good selection of pastries, bread and eggs, bacon etc. making sure that the day ahead was off to a good start. Kettle in the room was a nice thought for making tea though no tea bags in the room. We only ate at the New Year's Eve Buffet but were very pleased with the festive atmosphere and gala buffet selection. For this period of year there was live music, a welcoming open fire in the main reception room and good bar service. Definitely would come back again if coming to Wengen.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

• Single Room with Jungfrau view

I arrived literally one single minute after the kitchen closing time, and a warm meal was no longer an option. When arriving in my room and to find a dirty toilet, the mood was set. (It was immediately rectified, but still!) Everything is in dire need of either maintenance or replacement. They boast that they keep the "original Jugendstil décor", but that's more an excuse of just not getting things in shape.

Breakfast is ok-ish, the location is "f a n t a s t i c", but the hotel needs a serious makeover, and a thorough review of basic customer service principles.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

• Double Room with Jungfrau view

We liked everything about our time here.

Absolutely wonderful stay! Room was spacious with fantastic views from the terrace. Of all of our travels the staff were most welcoming and friendly. We definitely will return A must to stay here!!

• Reviewed: 23 September 2016

We would of loved a little mini bar or fridge in the room.

We were lucky enough to get upgraded to a corner room with an amazing view - you couldn't beat it! The bed was so cozy and had great wifi connection

• Reviewed: 11 September 2016

• Standard Quadruple Room

Let us check in as soon as our room was ready. A little outdated, but came off as charm. Big room and big bathroom. Breakfast was extensive. Very friendly staff in the restaurant.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

• Quadruple Room with Jungfrau view

I didn't like that they allow pets in the hotel rooms 🐶🐶🐶👎

The staff were helpful and friendly starting from the manager of the hotel she was amazing woman she treated the guests like her family and the other staff also are great. The location of the hotel although you can't go by car you need to ride train for14 min. To the hotel but it worth it.

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

Everything was fine, maybe just bathroom was not completely clean and with no towels when we arived, but they quickly fixed it.

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Views from room were excellent. Hotel and some of the equipment are not very modern or brand new but it gaves a special atmosphere (which is the goal I think). Breakfast was included and was nice and varied.

• Reviewed: 6 August 2016

Bad and Pillows NOT comfy, cleanness and color of the sheets, pillow cowers, bad set not white and not very clean. In room decoration needs restoration.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

The hotel is in need of renovation and feels very dated. The menu in the evening is limited so we ate in the village. The bar shut at 10pm and we were told that we had to leave the area as they needed to switch the lights out. Transport was provided from the hotel to the station, but as there were four of us and only seating for two, we had to ride in the boot of the car on the floor!

The reception staff were very friendly and welcoming and the hotel is good value for money. We were upgraded to a room with a mountain view and small balcony

• Reviewed: 13 July 2016

• Standard Quadruple Room

We booked the family room and it had separate bedrooms connected by an adjoining bathroom which works really well when you have a napping toddler. The view from the room balcony was amazing. Staff were helpful and very friendly

• Reviewed: 10 July 2016

• Standard Triple Room

The housekeeper failed to replace used glasses and refill empty soap dispensers, and the maître d was put out when our room number differed from what was listed, but otherwise, the hotel staff and management were exceptionally gracious and attentive.

The management and most members of the staff were exceptional. We missed a train connection and were unable to arrive for the first night of our stay. We notified the hotel when we found out we would be delayed and again when we missed the last train of the night. The hotel manager adjusted our reservation and we weren't charged for the night we missed. In addition, our room was upgraded to one with a spectacular view and a splendid breakfast buffet was included each morning. I would love to return to the Hotel Belvedere again.

• Double Room with Jungfrau view

Nice property that brings you back in time.

• Single Room with Jungfrau view

Lovely hotel with great view. Good restaurant. Friendly and accommodating staff.

Too warm at night.

The staff were brilliant

everything was perfect

the view was fantastic

• Tripleroom with Jungfrau view

Breakfast selection, staff, transport to train station put on

• Double Room with Jungfrau view

The windows does not have black out curtain.

The hotel atmosphere is fantastic! Access and service are excellent.

We loved the character and ambience.

• Tripleroom with Jungfrau view

All of staffs are kind! Breakfast is good but it is not various

Great hotel, very pleasant and professional staff, the food was amazing, and great clean rooms - we will be coming back !!!!

• Standard Single Room

All the staff were excellent and very attentive.

• Quadruple Room with Jungfrau view

Small amount of mould in bathroom ceiling

Cosy, warm, excellent staff

old key system - one key to unlock key to room in lobby

Food was OK nothing exceptional but not bad either

Beautiful old building which has been updated to retain its grandeur with the most welcoming and helpful staff

Great staff. Good brrafast. Excellent location. Beautiful hotel.

All was perfect

All Wengen is imazing place like in dreams

• Tripleroom with Jungfrau view

Good breakfast, very friendly personnel, balcony with beautiful view

• Double Room with Jungfrau view

Simple breakfast. Croissants quite good. Excellent service.

Nice location, clean, good staff

• Standard Quadruple Room

Clean room with nice balcony and beautiful view.

Very friendly staff.

Maybe the breakfast because same every day

Staff welcoming

the piano was in bad conditions; the property should ask for a tuner

the wiew of Jungfrau, the staff very polite and the old style of the hotel

The manager is👍

No air conditioning

Good lake view

• Double Room with Jungfrau view

Towels could be improved.

Fabulous views!!! Lovely old hotel. Kind staff.

• Quadruple Room with Jungfrau view

Rooms were outdated and bed not very comfortable

Staff were very friendly, food was great, view was AMAZING

Superb

• Double Room with Jungfrau view

The view from the room was incredible! The staff were excellent and very helpful. The atmosphere was very relaxed.

Everything was perfect! Can't wait to go back!

Comfortable bed. Very calm hotel. Very charming art deco ambience. Nice and helpful personel. Good breakfast.

• Reviewed: 2 March 2017

• Standard Single Room

Fantastic location. Highly recommendable!