Reviews of Hotel Diplomate 4 stars

Rue de la Terrassière, 46, Eaux-Vives, 1207 Geneva, Switzerland

#95 of 99 hotels in Geneva

The Ripetta was perfectly positioned could walk everywhere...
    • Double or Twin Room

The twin beds kept moving during the night, would have preferred a queen bed .

The Ripetta was perfectly positioned could walk everywhere we needed to go. We drove they had car park which was handy.

Pleasant stay at clean, comfortable hotel.
    • Double or Twin Room

Room was very compact, not much room to put your bag for a short stay.

Check in staff were very friendly and helpful on arrival. Free transport pass provided.

They offered the free-bus card so we can take the bus and...
    • Double or Twin Room

The room was very small. There were many drinks in the fridge that need to pay, so we got no space to put our drinks to the fridge.

They offered the free-bus card so we can take the bus and ship for free. The location is pretty central.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Avoid at all costs
    • Double or Twin Room

Customers beware if booking online ! They charged my credit card TWICE, once for booking (which I assumed to be the full payement) and a SECOND time when leaving. First payement is apparently a “security deposit”, which in itself is completely absurd and unheard of for hotels, but said deposit is still not back on my account. It’s been over a week now. Extremely rude staff refuses to take responsibility or show proof that they supposedly released the money. I’m assuming that’s their M.O. in order to be able to use their customers money for a while longer. My bank noticed me that I’ll automatically get the money back in a month even if the hotel doesn’t do its part. Still, this is one hell of a scam, definitely AVOID (there are far better hotels just as well located in Geneva).

Good value for money
    • Double or Twin Room

The building is quite old. The shower curtain was broken and kept falling off. The rooms are very small and its hard to circulate if you are staying with another person.

Good value for money. Clean rooms, and good view of the main street. I was very happy with the view and the balcony. The staff are nice and helpful.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Always excellent stays in this hotel where I return each...

Always excellent stays in this hotel where I return each time I come to Geneva. Special thanks for the reception and all other staff that are very nice friendly and always helpful at any time!

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Very central, nicely decorated hotel, in great central...

Very central, nicely decorated hotel, in great central location. The staff and the level of service are excellent, people at the reception are very helpful, comprehensive and friendly. For me it is the best price quality ratio in Geneva for a 4 star hotel in city center!

I did not meet to their technician until my leaving, give my regards to him. Thank you.

Bathroom is too small, I am small, It was hardly move while using shampoo. My elbow always hit the wall if I am not move slowly. How is the other guest who is bigger then me?

All staffs are friendly & helpful. I arrived with my broken shoes, but the technician repaired it. Thank you verymuch.

If the issue with the hot water did not occur I would say my stay was excellent.

Everything was perfect until...the next morning. There was no hot water at all. We had plans booked for the day. Every time I call the reception they tell me the same thing their plumber is telling them: "another 5 minutes". I even said: "I don't care if it's not going to be fixed. Just tell me so I can make a decision". I was going to another hotel in the next city I was visiting on that day anyway. This continued for an hour and a half when we decided to leave. I was not offered any compensation. I don't feel I got the value of my money as I expect hot water when I stay in a hotel. Otherwise, the staff was always nice and going the extra mile when I asked for anything.

Parking available Rooms are very nice Clean hotel Arranged for the rooms to be next to each other as I requested Free transport tickets Reception desk extremely helpful

A great option

The decor was a bit dated, but clean. The bathroom was totally marble! A bit of a climb into the tub, great shower though! A good choice of restaurants within a few blocks.

I spent a very pleasant night, very firendly and helpful staff
    • Double or Twin Room

The lift very small and narrow

very close to all transport means, in the heart of Geneva , not far from the Lake too , the staff were very friendly and helpful

good size room, free public transportation pass, clean

terrible interior design, noisy, no electrical plugs in bathroom, no german tv , extremely expensive,

good size room, free public transportation pass, clean

I liked it and would definetley come back, however, would take care of breakfast on my own

I was a bit disappointed with breakfast Before choosing the hotel I red few reviews with all compliments on breakfast, however I was not amazed Not the best variety, scrambled eggs were very bad .....

Location is the main perk of hotel and it is lovely, close to vibrant areas, good restaurants, lake Stuff is helpful and rooms are spacious ... It is very clean and tidy, bathroom is nice and newly equipped

Convenient location, good price but tired room & bathroom
    • Superior Single Room

The room was tired and old. Bathroom and shower facilities 25 years too old and in need of a decent refurbishment.

Conveniently located it is very french with a lovely balcony onto the outside street

2 star motel service at best

I paid in advance as I came in late. I was under the assumption my breakfast was included as I was charge for “bed and breakfast” on the receipt. The breakfast was worse than airplane food. I didn’t complain as I assumed it was included in the room. When checking out I was told the breakfast was not included and would cost me 26 CHF! Absolutely ridiculous for coffee, canned fruit and cereal. When I brought up the receipt at the front desk the receptionist only said “I just work here - I can’t help you” with the smuggest look on his face. I will definitely be sending this review to the hotel management and posting it across social media. Deplorable attitude, breakfast and service for a hotel stuck in an I renovated 1945.

Nothing after the treatment at the front desk I refuse to look at any part of the hotel in good light.

Old fashioned hotel on a noisy street.
    • Double or Twin Room

The problem is the noise on the street. Closed and draped windows cannot keep out the sound of the tram and other traffic directly below. Fortunately, the air conditioning worked well and helped to counteract some of that noise, but I would not recommend this if you need a quiet room. The internet service was unreliable. You can get a much more reasonably priced breakfast just going next door to the hotel.

The room is a pretty good size for European standards, it is dated in style but had a new sink and base cabinet.

I was worried, but I am satisfied with this hotel. The reception staff is friendly.
    • Superior Single Room

Hair dryer is old, but it is not troubling to use.

Although old, it was clean and simple. Bed making is polite and beautiful. There is a 2 supermarket near the hotel. But close it to PM7.

Good value - was what was said on the tin
    • Superior Single Room

Bathroom is in need of moving on from the late 1950's and into the 2010's.

Nice small balcony. The rooms are dated French style but it was clean and comfy

Good location, comfortable bed
    • Double or Twin Room

No tea or coffee making facilities, only a minibar which was very expensive

Breakfast was good a choice of hot or cold with plenty of fruit juice and tea & coffee

Wouldn’t go back there
    • Double or Twin Room

Miserable staff and dirty room. Found a cigarette butt on the floor... not impressed. Constant interruptions from cleaning staff from 9am and throughout the morning. I’ve stayed at similarly priced hotels in the area, this was by far the worst.

Charged for a full breakfast at 9.
    • Double or Twin Room

Charged for a full breakfast at 9.55am had 1 cup of coffee and staff member removed every item of the breakfast away. Charged 29CHF( over £20 ) Terrible reply from receptionist “ you took the breakfast”...... yeah we did want breakfast BUT she did take it away at 10.01

Disappointing.

Breakfast.- 26CHF for canned fruit and muesli?? Undercooked bacon and a couple of slices of stale bread. Coffee cold and worst I’ve had for ages. And the server put the cold coffee back in the urn before serving another. Not until after she’d made herself a cup of fresh coffee. But at least the coissantes were good!

I should have realised the restaurant wasn’t up to much when a guest came out with a prepacked container of sushi delivered in from down the road.

Would stay there again but would never pay for breakfast there again. better off strolling outside
    • Double or Twin Room

Breakfast for almost £22 a rip off even for geneva. The member of staff who was in the area too busy behind counter to notice that the milk had finished, the coffee had finished, tables were not laid, scrambled eggs finished. She was oblivious

Reception staff very pleasant and helpful. Clean rooms for the price. Bit dated and needs some money spent on it. Location great. Get what you pay for in Geneva

Vintage feeling.
    • Double or Twin Room

No extras, no breakfast with our booking, old and low-powered hairdryer in the bathroom. If you forget your toothbrush, which we didn't, you can buy one for extra 11.- (!) swiss francs. But I guess I'm spoiled by traveling experiences abroad…

Vintage feeling. Hotel is like a little memory from the 70s. Staff was friendly, room was clean and comfy. Convenient tram station right in front of the hotel to reach the nearest shopping area or the different sights and the lake.

disappointed

as above

Allocated to a room with cigarette smoke, when I booked for non-smoking room. Only changed room after 3 days. No refund for poor service when requested to check out due to their failure to provide non-smoking room.

Everything was simple and straightforward.
    • Superior Single Room

My room overlooked the street so was a little noisy in the morning when the trams started running.

Everything was simple and straightforward. A bonus was to have free travel on public transport during my stay - on a card from the hotel. There is a bus (no. 5) that goes from the airport to just a few minutes walk from the hotel. At the airport there is a machine that gives travellers a free ticket to use public transport - I think it lasts two hours.

It was confortable in the downtown area in Geneva.
    • Superior Single Room

Breakfast is expensive than I expected.

The room was very clean but cosy. The desk in the room is massive and antique design. On the other side, the washbowl in the bathroom is a modern style. The bed cushion is so soft and surrounding environment is so quiet that I can sleep deeply and well. A supermarket is near the hotel, beyond a crossing so that it is very convenient.

This is a 2 Star hotel at best. Rooms are super small and basic, but clean and conveniently located

This is a 2 Star hotel at best. The room was super small. No appliances to make coffee in the morning, no kettles, no kitchens utensils, nothing basically. The fridge was too small and it was packed with their own merchandises (alcoholic drinks, chocolate bars and bottled water). I couldn't fit my own food in it. It was very awkward.

Location is convenient. The room was super quiet and clean. The Staff were okay.

Best Western needs to shut this down and provide basic comfort and information to its guests
    • Double or Twin Room

We were not informed that there was no heat in the room nor in the both and the room was very cold when we arrived. we turned on what we thought was a thermostat for heat and went to bed. Fortunately the down comforter kept us fairly warm.ngot up in morning to cold room. Did not find out there would be no heat until mid-october😒but they could give us a space heater. that next evening we asked for heater and the night manager, Anna said this was not possible because it would blow the fuse for the entire hotel! taking a shower was a real experience. First when i turned on the water to take a bath there was no plug. when I pulled up the knob to turn on the little plastic shower, it fell off and then I got it back on and the shower head came flying off and sprayed water everywhere. we got a stopper the next day. The hair dryer belongs in a museum but was good for heating up the bathroom first thing in the morning.

Breakfast was good and had lots of choices. was very convent to shops and train by local bus once we got there. First night manager was very nice and fluent in English.

Very nice stay with brilliant location

Only 1 thing, they didnt write on booking site that they give free transportation card, so i bought transportation when coming from airport..so I paid for unneeded transportation twice

It is very nice & clean..a good value for money

Adequate accomodations in small rooms but close to nicer shops and well served by public transport.
    • Double or Twin Room

Breakfast MUCH TOO EXPENSIVE. Result: nobody eating in your restaurant, so much food purchased and prepared each day wasted, employees time also wasted, guests are obliged to go outside for a meal that most people would rather have close to or in their bedroom. This shortcoming in itself makes me want to search for another hotel! I'll bet that your hotel would not lose money - but would gain repeat clients - by lowering your breakfast fee to no more than 15 Swiss francs. Two additional problems: smelly bathroom (lacks aeration) and dated electrical installation. I saw sockets which were broken, or overloaded with cords, sometimes dangerously bent and wedged against a bed frame. Possible fire hazard. Final critique: once I phoned the front desk from my room and got no answer. I went downstairs and found the gentleman receptionist watching something on the computer screen, earphones in both ears and oblivious to ringing phones. A female receptionist was similarly preoccupied with the computer screen and inattentive.

Good mattress - but nowhere to put cumbersome, heavy quilt that was not needed, so it ended up on a chair, eventually on the floor. Some staff members were friendly, others were just barely courteous, one seemed annoyed to have to serve me. Clients deserve better.

Just alright and the staff is not very friendly
    • Double or Twin Room

very dirty as the bed I slept I felt ichy. Also, i borrow the kettle with lots of cockroaches excretions!!!!! in the room, some rubbishes were in the basket with wine. It tells how dirty it is.

proper 3 star but old

What you pay is what you get.

Limited number of parking places (less than 10) that cannot be reserved. Arriving by car is therefore risky.

Very basic and simple room but one cannot expect more for the price. Well situated by the Geneva shopping district.

Great place to stay near center of Geneva.
    • Double or Twin Room

Great breakfast. Helpful staff. Excellent location. We were able to comfortably walk around Lake Geneva area, easy check-in and the building itself was charming, well decorated, and in many aspects, from another time. Great stay- highly recommended.

Central, clean and great atmosphere

The only thing I would fault is there was a strange noise that came from my bathroom every ten minutes or so like a short creepy noise but that wasn't an issue at all! Great little place!

The location is perfect, it's central to everything and in a very nice area located right by the natural history museum! Room was small but perfect size for a solo traveller like myself. Bed was comfy air con worked, hardly any noise at night all in all a great stay!

Nice hotel, but a small room
    • Double or Twin Room

Took a deposit of 150 CHF out of the blue, without asking nor mentioning. A little small room. One staff member wasn't nice, while the other was so generous.

Nice place, nice balcony, warm water in shower, lots of towels and electrical sockets. They gave us free tickets for the bus to the airport.

horrible
    • Superior Single Room

room was extremely small, staff was totally impolite, even they didn't want to answer a simple question! i couldn't open my loggage no space at room

Old .
    • Double or Twin Room

I was supposed to pay £82 for hotel for one night I ended up paying £118 that was including the car park. that's nowhere near the £82 what I was supposed to pay

Old . But ok

Great comfy stay!

Breakfast a bit pricy.

Great hotel in Geneva. I just stayed one night before a flight. Staff was nice and helpful, I had a very comfortable bed, a clean room, etc. Seemed a bit away from tourist attractions but I didn't have time to explore so hard to assess accurately. Easy to get to bus stop for airport. Breakfast a bit pricy but that's to be expected in Switzerland and at least they had eggs and protein in addition to carbs, juices, coffee, fruit, etc. I would stay again.

The hotel was too poor in terms of amenities and not very friendly staff and very noising.
    • Double or Twin Room

The room was too small and lacks quality for a four-star hotel, the toilet was smelling and too compact, in order words too small. They did not provide the most basic, such as kettle for tea or coffee, no fridge, they just did not provide anything apart from toiletries and alcohol to buy. It is hard to open the windows due to noise from constantly passing train it was very disappointing. I think customers should have the option of changing hotels when faced with such circumstances, we did request to change the hotel, but I was told in no uncertain terms that I would be charged the full price, so we decide to stay even though it was below expectations. We will not be going back there.

They were not freshly baked

Good enough
    • Double or Twin Room

The receptionist didn't mention the free 2 day public transport card that they provide. Thankfully my mother had stayed there before and she new about it and asked for it.

very clean and quiet, with good showers too.

Not worth it
    • Double or Twin Room

1) We did not receive the room we asked and paid for. We reserved a extra big bed however instead we got 2 small beds. The next morning, we asked the reception for another room. We visited room 304 (we were told it had an extra big bed - not true). We went back to reception and the concierge told us that we were not right because the system said it.... We decided to leave. 2) When we came back from our day - our room was not cleaned!- I called the reception and I was told that I had put the "no cleaning" paper on my door - not true! So we were moved to a junior suite on level 7. 3) We were disappointed with the junior suite - the mini bar was under the TV - no desk, no table on the balcony, the shower head was not working properly. 4) The staff was not helpful 5) We will not recommend this hotel - it is not worth the money at all.

The location was close to where we wanted to be.

Two days in the diplomats suana!
    • Double or Twin Room

On first entering lobby, was overcome by the heat in the reception area. Check in was smooth, no designated area for hotel guest parking! Room was almost as hot! 28 degrees with AC set at 5 degrees and fan on high. Two outlets in the entire room for electricity, with one working on and off. Informed the hotel staff that AC was not working properly, was even worse the next night! Will never book again and warn people to stay away!!!

resturant staff worked very hard on getting desired coffee for us!!!

Nice hotel location, facilities and staff but the bed was terrible
    • Double or Twin Room

The double bed was actually 2 single beds brought together which made it very uncomfortable because there was a gap in the middle and gap kept on widening plus the mattress was very uncomfortable

The staff are very friendly and helpful

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

From Hotel Diplomat see Geneva with free travel pass

The room was warm, though no one can control the weather.

The room overlooked a road and tram line but at eleven pm it went really quiet. Hotel staff were friendly, knowledgable and willing to speak English or to allow me to flex my school french. Good location and the free travel pass a real bonus.

My stay at the Hotel Diplomate.
    • Double or Twin Room

The room was not adequate for the amount I paid. It was way too small. Advertising the motel as an elite, upscale one is not accurate. It is average if not below average. Charging 26 Franks for breakfast is exorbitant.

I liked the bed.

Great hotel to stay in Geneva!
    • Double or Twin Room

Although breakfast was really good I miss some fresh vegetables like tomatoes. The hotel is not in the city centre but it has a good public transportation really near, so city centre can be reached easily.

Everyone at the hotel was extremely nice and helpful. Everyone was able to speak more than one language. The room was everyday very well cleaned and towels and pillows exchanged. The internet was always functioning and the connection was fast. There is a nice café just next to the hotel, as well as nice restaurants, like the best Italian restaurant in Geneva according to TripAdvisor.

Not worth the money. More like a $100 value.
    • Double or Twin Room

Bed was very uncomfortable. Room was definitely not worth the amount we paid.

Location was good. Close to good food, not hard on public transportation.

fairly modest review
    • Double or Twin Room

the main problem i find in the rooms as there are no tea available in the room nor any facilities. I had to go several times a day to reception get hot water and other things to make a tea which i find it so unprofessional.

location and commute is great.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

I do not recommend

Bathroom extremely small and not well kept. Also the room was small for longer stay, for one night all right. Breakfast was poor and cold. Definitely not a 4* hotel!

I liked surrounding area, with great restaurants nearby.

Convenient location.
    • Double or Twin Room

A very noisy building. No comfortable chair in the room. No facility to make a cup of tea/coffee. 1 drinking glass supplied. Plumbing rather ancient (very stiff taps and shower was a later addition placed very high over the bath). A 'no frills' hotel.

Convenient location. Staff helpful. Adequate for our needs (a weekend stay).

• Reviewed: 2 March 2017

Dissapointing
    • Double or Twin Room

Over rated hotel: Should be a 2 stars maximum Room cleanless to review (old kleenex under the bed 🤢) Old bathroom (but seems to be clean) Parking not acceptable for 32chf a night (basically a graveyard) Noisy from the street traffic Price announced from the ad is without any bkfst or pkg or taxes, so from 130chf, we end to 245chf a night all inclusive: much too expensive for what and where it is.

Reception personel: nice welcome

• Reviewed: 20 January 2017

Basic hotel for a night sleep, that's all.

No drinkable water in the room. Not value for money at all, too expensive. No night bell, waited 20 mins outside in the freezing temperature for someone to open the door.

The friendly breakfast lady

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

Good hotel, nothing spectacular, just a good hotel

Parking fee is expensive, but everything is in Geneva

Good location, close to old city center and comercial zones, quality/Price relation is really good for Geneva

• Reviewed: 16 December 2016

It could have been better

Please upgrade the bed - not the type of bed i would choose for a holiday. No coffee and water kettle in the room. Unbelievable!

Nothing really stands out

• Reviewed: 10 December 2016

Hotel is simple and OK.

Already above.

Hotel is OK,but it shows 4 star, but it's nothing of 4 star, it's confusing while booking and when stay at Hotel. Otherwise it's OK. Breakfast is items limited, less choice. Room is OK. Location OK . staff are nice and helpful.

• Reviewed: 10 December 2016

Good stay in GVA
    • Double or Twin Room

Dated and might deserve a good facelift

Good hotel, specially for the friendly front desk staff, who are always helpful and friendly. Good location and good standard of service provided. Very good point for a mid-category hotel, which in Geneva are not reputedly giving more bang for a buck.

• Reviewed: 8 December 2016

Worst experience worldwide
    • Double or Twin Room

The staff is impolite they kicked up out of the hotel at midnight because we asked them to talk politely. We called the police to take our luggage out !!!! Worst experience ever !

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

Too old

The hotel is very old and definitely it's not a 4 stars. The room was too hot more than 25° and also was not so quite. I wouldn't suggest this hotel to anyone.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2018

Location, cleanliness, nice staff

Location, cleanliness, nice staff

• Reviewed: 5 October 2018

they need to change their hairdryers !
    • Double or Twin Room

they need to change their hairdryers ! Which centruy we re living !!

• Reviewed: 4 October 2018

Location and balcony factor

4 star boutique hotel in Switzerland should be more up to standard , it was ok

Location and balcony factor

• Reviewed: 3 October 2018

Very expensive for the price that I pay.

Very expensive for the price that I pay. I will not return to contract any room with Booking. I am very troublesome for Booking's services

• Reviewed: 2 October 2018

The suits

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

Nothing !
    • Double or Twin Room

This hotel took too much money from my card and robbed me!! the case is reported on booking and the police

Nothing !!!

Misleading and expensive extras 30£ to park for 1 night 25£...
    • Double or Twin Room

Misleading and expensive extras 30£ to park for 1 night 25£ breakfast. No information

Easy access to downtown Geneva.
    • Superior Single Room

The bed was uncomfortable and I could feel the springs in the mattress.

Easy access to downtown Geneva.

Clean rooms
    • Double or Twin Room

Gap between photos and rooms

Clean rooms

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Rooms a bit little

Rooms a bit little

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Very comfortable

Very comfortable

Good place

The only issue was that the air conditioning was not very strong and it was quite hot.

Very good service and nice place. Well located.

The staff was good

The rooms too small The breakfast was poor

The staff was good The location was good

Quite