Reviews of Hotel Krone Unterstrass 4 stars

Schaffhauserstrasse 1, Unterstrass, 8006 Zürich, Switzerland

#54 of 121 hotels in Zürich

Great place, good price.

We were in the townhouse, just behind the main building, and it was quiet and comfortable. The electronic shades on the windows darkend the room completely. Truly a restful stay!

Nice business hotel
    • Small Single Room

Breakfast was a little standard/boring All this small items packed in plastic (butter, jam, honey) are not very environment friendly

Very clean hotel, good room size, all furniture new, good beds, quiet rooms, very nice staff. Classical Hotel atmosphere

Better than expected. Good value for money. Would recommend for a short stay!
    • Standard Triple Room

Pillows were a bit too soft.

Hotel staff really helpful. We had a triple room and it was spacious. Good location. Quick and Easy to get tram to the centre-4mins to centre!

Close to the main station.
    • Standard Triple Room

We booked a room with three ppl and they put a small extra bed but it's very bad one... and also weird sound from bathroom ceiling (something like popping sound from pipe) every 30mins is very annoying... I talked to the reception but it wasn't fixed.

Close to the main station. Tram station is right in front of the hotel. Breakfast is nice but coffee is extra charge.

Highly recommend as great place to stay in Zurich

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Hotel Krone Understrass. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, our room (504) was great, the restaurant attached to the hotel was excellent for breakfast and dinner and the location (tram stop at the front door) made commuting to the city centre a breeze. There are some building works underway at the moment but these did not affect our visit.

Highly recommended hotel at Zurich

The lobby is a bit too dark, the hotel entrance is too small

Good location, excellent customer service, spacious room & bathroom with good quality interior finishing, good selection of cold & hot breakfast, make my stay so comfortable.

Overall it was good

I didn’t like that the room service didn’t clean the room properly, didn’t leave any powder milk, I asked reception they where going to charge me for service charge or they said come yourself to get it, I told them I have a small baby can’t leave, they said they can’t do anything.

I liked the bed and pillows it was comfortable and the reception guy called Freddy he was really kind and great at his job

Bad maintenance due to the water tap knob was damaged but...
    • Standard Triple Room

Bad maintenance due to the water tap knob was damaged but never told me. I think I’m not the first one encountered since the knob should be worn out for some time ago.

Overall, good, would stay here again.
    • Premium Single Room

Front desk were good overall. Front desk could improve on wake-up call programming though, I ended up being woken during the night by a wake-up call gone wrong. It made for a long, long day the next day. The ongoing road construction (which is of no fault of the hotel) means that it is best to be out of the room during the day.

Modern, clean and simple room. Quiet at night and generally accommodating staff at reception. Close to city center and the restaurant provides a lovely breakfast buffet and other meals.

Good hotel, tram at front door ... winning!
    • Luxury Single Room

Restaurant breakfast bill took 15 minutes to add on to my checkout bill which delayed me.

Reception staff were very professional and helpful upon checking. Efficient and welcoming.

Couldn’t relax during the day due to building works
    • Standard Triple Room

Building work started at 8 am and extremely noisy as there’s MAJOR works being carried out

For three adults not enough storage, had to leave clothes in a case. We had an under two year old with us in a travel cot so not enough room for a family of four

Very well laid out room, with room to organize my things.
    • Standard Triple Room

Very well laid out room, with room to organize my things. The staff was especially helpful with suggested places to see and things to do on our short stay.

Brilliant

Very nice room, we were upgraded to a Townhouse. Only had breakfast in the restaurant but it was good. Easy access to downtown Zurich; 15 minute walk or tram right outside hotel.

very clean, staffs are very friendly and englush speaking ,...
    • Standard Triple Room

Slight improvement is required on tolilet as one day water leaked to room while taking bath !

very clean, staffs are very friendly and englush speaking , tram stop just outside hotel , near to railway station and flx bus stop ! take tram 11 or 14 from railway stop! very goid hotel and will highly recommend !

As a single person I was provided with small room with a single bed; it was efficient and clean.
    • Small Single Room

It would have been nice if breakfast was included in the price that I paid. All I really wanted was a coffee and the coffee in the room was instant coffee. The room was a bit small but had everything and was very clean. It was a bit hot but if I opened the windows I could hear the trams.

The staff were helpful and friendly. They provided directions to any place that was requested, with a map.

I will definitely recommend this hotel to all of my friends and relatives.

We arrived the hotel at 10am, was thinking to keep our baggage there before the check in time. Surprisingly they arrange us to check in early, and free upgrade from classic room to luxury room. The staff are very helpful and friendly. They also provide nice breakfast, the staff who work in the morning shift remember our drinks, he greets us good morning and following by “so, 2 coffee for you” he said. They look into details and we really feel impressive. We also enjoy our dining in their restaurant, the menu have varieties of choices, the ingredients are fresh, the staff provide good services. Easy access location, the tram station just in front of the hotel.

Very conveniently located, just outside the tram station.
    • Standard Triple Room

Very conveniently located, just outside the tram station. Only 4 mins to the main shopping areas. The staff, especially the Swiss/Thai guy at the reception was super nice and friendly. Gave us suggestions and recommendations for our visit.

Positive surprise - would stay here again
    • Luxury Single Room

I would stay here again and was positively surprised, I booked the luxury single room, which was great, spacious and modern. Cant judge the 'normal' rooms. Staff was very helpful, they let me print and scan a document I needed to sent off for work. Restraurant is also very good, very good food. Tram stop right infront of the hotel, quick connection to central train station and also easy to get there from airport. Good, cosy Lebanese restaurant next door. Very good stay overall, can recommend.

This hotel exceeded my expectations, it was simply great!

This hotel exceeded my expectations, it was simply great! Staff very kind and helpful, room bigger than average, very clean, an amazing restaurant with great food and wine, the position if the hotel which is just 10 minutes walking from the city, the car parking, all perfect. In my opinion the only reason for not being a 5 star hotel is the little bathroom. It became my favorite hotel in Zurich!

Lovely weekend city stay

Check in and check out was slow. Chf100 deposit was requested at check in, with no prior notice. Parking prices were not mentioned.

Big room with two large windows. Clean and well kept. Convenient location in a residential area a few tram stops away from city center, tram in front of the hotel.

A PLEASANT EXPERIENCE FOR BUSINESS TRAVELLER
    • Small Single Room

Bath room is a bit smaller.

Hotel is only 8 min on Tram from City Center that stop right in front of hotel; its in fact better than using your own car. Staff is very cooperative and helps for early check in or late check out. Hotel also provides Umbrellas for use if needed. Tea/Coffe ARE available in the room and the Restaurant is good. They even keep a welcome Fruit and Nuts pack on arrival.

The best location and staff!
    • Small Single Room

My room was facing the road so it was a bit noisy. On my 2nd morning, I can hear couples arguing. On the other room, I can hear the snoring and a vibrating phone. I am serious! I don't understand why? It must be the materials of the wall panel?!

Location is excellent. Tram stops exactly in front of the hotel! Very clean. Staffs are friendly and very accommodating; would go out of their way to explain and help. I was given early check-in. The pillow was very fluffy. I have very sweet housekeeping!

Great location, modern spacious rooms, no street noise.

The Townhouse part of the hotel was very quiet despite being located in the city centre. Very easily accessible by tram lines. My single person room was really spacious!

A comfortable stay in Zurich

The breakfast dish choices were a little few, but the food was tasty.

We liked everything, really. Great location, right next to the team stop (Kronenstrasse), fabulous park, and city centre. We tried the restaurant, too. It was expensive, but every restaurant is expensive in Zurich... The food was very tasty, offering many wild game dishes. The beer served here was among the very best local beers we'd tried in Zurich (it tasted real, not watered down).

Zurich is expensive, but we enjoyed our stay tremendously.

The pictures from the outside were misleading but the hotel on the inside made up for it.

We totally enjoyed the room. The Townhouse where we stayed was one of the cleanest and modern rooms we've stayed at in Europe so far. We walked downtown from the hotel which was a great walk. We enjoy walking, so it made for a good walk to Old Town and the city.

Not exactly a 4-star property

Very small room and extremely small bathroom. The shower area was cramped and suffocating. No microwave in room. AC is outdated. I booked considering it was a 4-star hotel. It didn't seem 4-star from any aspect. Basically, it's not a bad hotel. It's just overpriced for the rooms and facilities.

Reasonably close to old town and airport. Tram stop right in front of hotel.

not recommnded

the room temperature was hot , the cleaning wasn't good the room's size is small and the bathroom had a problem and they didn't fix it

the receptionist was really helpful unfortunately I don't recall her name she had a brown hair she was better that the other staff ,

5.5
    -friendly staff
    • Luxury Single Room

-the room was hot in summer... and it took a lot of time for the air condition to catch up -I asked for a quiet room. There was construction work very close to the hotel and a lot of noise starting 730am

-friendly staff -clean room

Beware of Neighbors Construction Noice

When I checked in I mentioned that we were exhausted due to the extremely loud night we had at the hotel the night before (screaming and glass breaking until 4:30 am) and that we were switching to try and get a good nights rest. It would have been nice to have been warned that the neighbors were doing construction and could potentially start up first thing in the morning. I would have at least put ear plugs in. Construction started at 7:53 am. Luckily my son slept through it he was so tired. I on the otherhand was wide awake.

We were tired and had a very loud night at the hotel the night before. The hotel had AC and until 7:53am it was quiet and comfortable. We enjoyed the restaurant.

Avoid at all costs..
    • Premium Double Room

Charged too much, had to call to be refunded. Deposit of 100 taken without telling me.. I think that's illegal. Noisy courtroom. Small old rooms with a bit of ikea furniture

Nice neighborhood in a new building with some kinks
    • Premium Single Room

I was in the new building. The layout of the room was too tight... I prefer an open concept. The room was set up like an apartment with a mini-kitchen, which would have been nice if I planned to stay more than one night. The appliciances were all new, but the shower was cheap. Also, the hallways were very hot with no ventilation. The stairways were all glass, which created a greenhouse effect. Would have been a cool architectural feature if there was a view from the stairs, but this new building is surrounded by other buildings, so the best view is of the private parking lot.

Modern amenities and nice neighborhood.

Convenient and clean hotel

We had an upgrade to the Townhouse, and it was a well equipped room with a large wash room. It was our easiest to reach hotel by far in our travel since the tram from Zurich's main station stops right in front of the hotel. We didn't have to pull along our luggage by foot too much. It was also very convenient for us to take the tram to the Airport from the hotel. The hotel allowed us to put our luggage with them through the front desk on our check-out date until evening and that helps us a lot as our flight were scheduled at night.

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

Comfortable hotel with great restaurant
    • Luxury Single Room

Didn't like the powdered milk for coffee. Shower handle didn't fit well so had to hold by hand.

Quiet, comfortable room in townhouse with plenty of space.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

Good choice for Zurich

You need public transportation to get to the center. However the tram stop is right outside the hotel and if you are not too tired you can even walk (approx. 1,5 km).

Very nice hotel with spacious rooms and very good beds. The room was very clean and also the staff very friendly and helpful, note that everyone spoke excellent English (which is not always the case!). Additionally they helped us with public transportation as the hotel provided us with the relevant daily cards (at a charge). Also parking was easy as the hotel has a parking (at an extra charge). Finally the price was reasonable compared to other hotels in Zurich.

Great hotel, close to city center.

nothing that I could think of

Tram stop is just in front of hotel. Nice location, several restaurants & shops close by. Staff were friendly and nice buffet breakfast.

Not a great value for money
    • Small Single Room

Far from a 4star. Helpful but inexperienced staff. Tiny rooms (maybe just mine), weak noise proofing, non working shower. The hotel is over presented at booking.com Overall, a decent 3 star hotel that is way too expensive for what it offers.

Convenient location. 4 tram stations from downtown.

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

If you are expecting a kitchen, stay away. If you are planning to eat out all the time...good value
    • Suite

The fact that it it was advertised as a kitchen is an insult ...a kitchen is filled with crockery, cutlery, pots, pans, glassware etc.

space and cleanliness

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

Good hotel in Zurich with outstanding restaurant.
    • Small Single Room

Very small shower space Not too much going on close to hotel Air conditioning did not work properly

Restaurant is excellent! Tram station right outside the hotel Only 15 minutes to airport

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

If I have another chance to come back in Zurich, I will stay in this hotel.
    • Standard Triple Room

No parking. Public parking available around 500 metres with cost around 24 chf per night.

The room was clean and modern style. The tram station was in front of hotel.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

Don't bother with the studio

I paid substantially more money to have a studio, as I thought it would be useful to be able to make our own breakfasts etc. The room description and photos suggested there was a fully equipped kitchen and washing machine. But... the kitchen was totally bare - no plates, cutlery. Nothing. No washing machine either. Why would you put kitchens in the room that aren't able to be used? Baffling. We asked reception for cutlery and plates etc and they seemed puzzled by my request, as if it was an unusual hassle.

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

Nice room.
    • Premium Single Room

Walls were thin and I heard a lot of noise outside (talking and laughing) throughout the night. Was also not impressed by the breakfast buffet. Very few options for vegetarians. When I asked if I could have some tomato for my bread since I wasn't going to be eating any of the meat or cheese, I was told they would charge me extra for it since it wasn't part of the normal buffet. I thought that was very inflexible and pretty bad service considering I paid 19 chf for the breakfast buffet.

Staff on check in desk were friendly. Location was good. Room was nice.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

Comfortable, modern, clean and great attention to detail. Best hotel I've stayed in for a while.
    • Small Single Room

Very well designed rooms. Spacious and modern while also welcoming. Great attention to detail: plugs that don't need adapters, a map for anybody wanting to go for a run....

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

Nice friendly clean simple place centrally located. In Swiss price terms, very reasonable!
    • Small Single Room

The Internet booking agency was hopeless. I did not know that I really had a booking and they felt like a scam. I phoned you directly to verify. They kept annoying me to register with them afterwards. I will ring you directly the next time.

The staff were friendly and very helpful and did everything they said they would, including forwarding a copy invoice by email.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

Great value

Shower was extremely small

Staff members were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was excellent. The room was comfortable and clean. The location was very good as it was accessible by tram or even a 10-15 minute walk from Zurich HB. Overall, it was a very pleasant stay.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

6.0
    Thats the value u paid.

Breakfast staff was rude. We went there 10.20am. They show faces. We booked the premium room. But the room was at the block behind the property. We need to deal with the luggages with many staircases.

The room was ok. For the money you paid. I think thats what you get.

Great location and friendly staff.

Few Breakfast selection for its price. Housekeeping is not consistent and missing a lot of items specially on our last night. Otherwise my overall rating for the staff would be excellent.

I like the location and distance to public transport. Ladies at the reception is very good and proactive. Sebastian at the restaurant is very attentive.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

Great Hotel and good value
    • Premium Double Room

Staff were excellent and helpful whenever we needed them. We were going to see a band and couldn't print off our E-ticket but Daniella behind the desk spent 25 minutes re-setting our account (that we forgot the password for!). She then printed off the tickets and we were able to see the gig! Brilliant stay and many thanks Daniella Gut! James and Paul.

• Reviewed: 9 December 2016

Very good experience at Hotel Krone Unterstrass!

1 - You need to pay additional tax for the car park. That was mentioned in the booking page so it was not unexpected! I'm just saying it would be nicer without that tax. 2 - Often the hotels in Switzerland offer a free ticket for the public transport for the time you spent at the hotel. In this case you need to pay for such a ticket. The price is not big but still.

Everything was good. The room, the staff, etc. The location of the hotel is perfect!

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

The hotel is easy for transportation and is very comfortable, modern and clean.

The bed is twin bed but we booked for the double bed in queen size. However, the bed is very cozy.

The room is so clean. Bathroom has large space. There is refrigerator and kettle provided in the room. The bus station is in front of the hotel.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

nice staff, nice rooms, clean, good access to public...
    • Small Single Room

not much. You hear the trams if you sleep with open windows but this is the price for a good public transport connection.

nice staff, nice rooms, clean, good access to public transport

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

Ok hotel, close to airport and city centre
    • Small Single Room

Noisy and less efficient aircondition, too warm.

Clean! Within walking distance from the city centre, and only 10 minutes by car/taxi to airport. A small and intimate hotel.

• Reviewed: 16 October 2016

Close to tram stop and great service
    • Standard Triple Room

Tripple room is double room with extra bed

Location is good, staff is very friendly and helpful telling us which restaurant is a must. They served with smiles and welcoming :)

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

The price is right if you want a reasonably close hotel to the main and old city with easy transport

We were in a room on the main road, but the traffic noise was not a bother.

Very close to the main city with a quick tram ride. The staff were exceedingly helpful! The price was very reasonable.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Good stay

The property was very small and the room which was allocated to us was not in the main building but was at the backside of the main building. The rooms were small too but the size of the bathroom was okay. At the time of check in the staff at the reception said that they are upgrading us to a suite room that was behind the main building but what i felt that they did not have room ready in the main building so they allotted us the room at the backside of the main building which did not look at all a suite.

The check in process was smooth and without any delay. The property was located in a decent and quite area and right in front of a tram station - Kronen Strasse which became very convenient to travel almost everywhere in Zurich. The property was absolutely clean and had all necessities. The wifi was also very good.

The air conditioning was not good

The air conditioning was not good

Good hotel but expensive
    • Standard Triple Room

Payment method combersive and time comsuming.

Staff support.

In front of bus stop
    • Standard Triple Room

The bathroom was not built well. A lot of Water was leaking out of the shower area

In front of bus stop

Overall everything is good, staff is nice and helpful, easy...

Overall everything is good, staff is nice and helpful, easy access to/from city center via public transport

When in Zurich we always stay at the Krone find I convenient...

When in Zurich we always stay at the Krone find I convenient Staff friendly and helpful

One of my favorite Hotel in Zurich. Highly recommended
    • Premium Single Room

Very Nice staff. Excellent breakfast. Nice room.

All perfect

Right by tram station.

Right by tram station.

Location and the facilities

Will definitely come back

Great location! Attentive staff,good night of sleep.

Professional staff positively overcomes the rest of it.
    • Small Single Room

Small room and outside look.

Staff

Good bang for your buck!
    • Luxury Single Room

No draps on the bathroom window (although I think the window is opaque enough not to let people peep)

Good room size, clean room and facilities.

Satisfied

Nothing special

Breakfast, location, Staffs, cleaness

No informaiton about the construction site, which negated a...
    • Small Single Room

No informaiton about the construction site, which negated a lot of the parking space

Thanks

Noting

All

The restaurant

The rooms are not well soundproofed The bathroom is very small

The restaurant the cleanness

Location, spacious rooms, comfortable beds, friendly staff.
    • Standard Triple Room

Location, spacious rooms, comfortable beds, friendly staff.

Easy parking, close bus stop, good for a quick stopover to our main vacation spot.

No complaints.

Staff nice, room size was ample for three adults. Comfortable roll away bed!

Nice staff and Nice location to take public transport.

Nice staff and Nice location to take public transport. Very comfort. Really a good hotel