Reviews of Central Plaza 4 stars

Central 1, City Centre, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland

#80 of 121 hotels in Zürich

It was in the perfect location, clearly visible from the main station with the fact that there was a huge illuminated sign outside.great transport system outside, views of the lake. Just perfect

The room. We were told we had been upgraded to a junior suite. Personally I do not like bare concrete walls in a four-star hotel room, however 'cool' they may be deemed. The bathroom washbasin was inadequate for the task and, generally, the whole room gave the appearance of having been squeezed into it's section of the hotel. This hotel was not cheap but I was disappointed by it, expecting something a little more luxurious. The breakfast was adequate but nothing to get excited over. I would not return for another stay.

The location is excellent, being right at the heart of Zurich. We travel by rail and this hotel was just a couple of minutes walk over the river bridge.

• Double Room with River View

Rooms are a bit small with small windows so limited natural light, but it is a historic building so that can’t really be helped. It had 2 single beds pushed together, not a double bed as advertised, but this often seems to be the case in Europe.

Great location near Zurich HB made a 2 night stay very convenient. Breakfast was high quality. it was a bit of an older crowd though so I didn’t really feel comfortable hanging out in the bar area.

• Double Room with River View

I thought the room would be noisy as it’s directly above the street car station. But once I closed the windows they blocked all traffic noises and afforded me a good night’s sleep. The room is well appointed and bathroom really clean.

• Double Room with River View

Was supposed to get a river view, took some shots from all of my windows and had to stretch my neck to get a glimpse of the river to the far right. Pretty expensive for what it is especially considering that I asked for the river view. Worst thing, I arrived at 11.30 after a 3 hour flight delay. Ordered a glass of prosecco just to be told that they are closing at midnight! Quite the joke, the SUPER unfriendly south-eastern European waiter should be fired!

Nice and clean, perfect location. Room layout was very cozy.

• Double Room with River View

Excellent and prompt service; very accommodating to our requests. Would stay there again.:) Great location within walking distance to train station and old part of city.

The staff, especially Shanelle, were extremely accommodating. They helped us organize an early and late check out, and coordinated a car for our entire trip. Since we were trying to rent a car on what turned out to be a holiday weekend, it was a long process of finding one available. Shanelle maintained a cheerful disposition the entire time.

• Junior Suite with River View

The room did not feel sufficiently ventilated and air was quite still. We had to open the windows to have cooler, moving air.

Good reception service and prompt housekeeping services

• Double Room with River View

The location - the lunch specially vegetarian burger and Thai curry . Great evening with live piano till midnight Room with a great view of canal and excellent service

• Standard Single Room

The hotel is excellently located. The rooms are well appointed and comfortable. To top it all off the staff are accommodating and helpful which made all the difference.

• Double Room with River View

Nothing really. If I would be really picky, parking a bit expensive and breakfast could be a bit more creative but this is certainly not much in comparison to the positive side

Everything! Wonderful location, friendly staff and great room (we were upgraded!) with great view

Nothing to complain

The staff was wonderful. They especially went out of their way to accommodate us in a balcony attached room, the next day. Thanks thanks thanks

• Double Room with River View

We have a room with a river view. It was disaster. There was trees in front of the windows, a little bridge and roads. We can't see a river!! There was a polite staff in the hotel, but a little cold. The breakfast was cost about 35 euros per person, it's too much for Zurich. You can eat near the hotel and it's cost for you about 15-20 euros. Before we arrive, the hotel reserved 300$ on my credit card. Then hotel reserved the full cost on my credit card (in addition to previous reservation). When we come, they want me to pay the full cost!!! So, after dialog at the reception, they get money from the second reservation.. But my 300$ hasn't been able to use yet. The room has a coffee machine, but a small one. You can make only espresso, ristretto, lungo. And we have some trouble with this. It make a lot on noise! The room was a little small

Great room decoration. There was an ideal bathroom Great location The cleaning was good There was a wifi

Staff at the bar was rude. At 23.45 we have been told that we cannot order any drink because they were closing. However several tables were occupied by people having their drink. We were only allowed to take the drink and go to the lobby. We ordered jin tonics which were poorly made and went to the lobby. After 5 minutes a waitress came and started shouting at us that this is still considered part of the bar and we should leave immediately.

Staff during breakfast was very helpful and very polite.

Small room. No air-conditioning in room, yet very noisy if windows were opened. Very pricey for what u get.

Central location, 5-8 mins walk to train station and main shopping street.

We had reservation for double room and we were given a handicaped one withount been told before. Beside the height of first floor rooms is not convenient at all and makes you feel not confortable.

The staff is helpful and location is great

• Double Room with River View

-Every single staff at the front desk is very unfriendly. I do not know why and I did not rude to them at all!! Maybe they all have a bad day in Spring time :) - It is very noisy at night from the tram and people yelling. Could not sleep at all.

- The location is amazing!!! Just a minute from Zürich HB and the city centre. Love it!! - Got a nice view from the room. - The bed and pillows are sooooooo comfy. Love it!! - The room is very old-fashioned decoration but when the toilet is beautiful!

• Double Room with River View

Amazing site, beautiful hotel and one of the best breakfast buffets I’ve had included with my hotels in Europe. I would definitely stay h to again. Convenient and right across the bridge from the train station.

The room was too small for the price paid. Understand that Zurich is expensive but it was too small anyway. WiFi a bit slow.

Location was excellent. Front desk was helpful and attentive. We asked for change of a big bill and they did it. We also asked for one hour later check out and they gave it to us.

• Standard Single Room

Price must include breakfast...but then you are in Zurich, so cant even complain much about the steep charges !!!

Amazing location !! Can’t get better than this if you are looking for something closest to main station! !

• Standard Single Room

The breakfast was a limited on what you can have and the rooms are a little snug however very comfortable.

The hotel was lovely, I couldn’t believe my luck with the location as it was only metres away from the main streets and station. It’s situated right by the river and has a very entertaining and talented lively pianist in the evenings. I also thought the bar staff were a delight. Highly recommend this hotel :)

Room was a tad small with limited walking area, esp if you had big suitcase luggage ; WiFi was not stable and poor esp in the room ; Limited English language programs on TV; Limited complimentary bottled water (only 1) ;

Friendly, helpful staff esp at the reception ; Overall, cleanliness of the room and like the availability of coffee maker, readily provided slippers upon request ; Quite centrally located

Awful work of the reception. I have chosen the option to pay by card in advance, but in the end they demanded me paying at the check out. I said, charge it from the card I used for booking and they refused to do so. Very rude and unfriendly. It was not convenient for me at all, because I planned my payment to be ahead and from another card. Lobby needs refreshment

Perfect location for Zurich, so close to the central station, tho not that crowdy and noisy! Can't imagine a better strategic placement! Nice and spacious room and very comfortable bed. Our room had very nice view.

• Double Room with River View

Nothing. It was all fabulous.

My husband and I were travelling for our honeymoon. We were very excited to find that we had an upgraded suite and rose petals throughout our room on arrival. It made the first night of our trip extra special and we were very grateful for this attention to details.

Nothing I didn’t like

Just a super stay! Friendly helpful staff who gave us a late checkout. Had a beautiful room overlooking the Limmat and even though hotel Surrounded by trans and traffic, room was really quiet! Loved it! Will stay again

We hated our room view. The whole idea of this hotel was to get a better view but we never got that and the hotel staff at the lobby looked bored and exhausted to even smile.

The location was great.

1) There was very noisy sound from restaurant and bar at the ground floor. I found they left opening the door and played some noisy music. The music didn't end before midnight. Who can sleep well such a noisy hotel!? If you want to sleep well, you must staying at the other hotel. 2) Hotel's WiFi signal was too weak. you can't open normal internet pages (e.g. Google) as usual.

• Double Room with River View

If you need to park a vehicle, the hotel has access to underground garaging. However, be aware that the spiral driveway is very tight, and larger vehciles will find it challenging. Hotel staff do accompany drivers to assist with this. You need to pre-book car parking.

Location of this hotel is ideal for accessing central Zurich.

• Double Room with River View

The Blonde Girl with short hair on Reception were so friendly and very gentle,She wanted to move her car to give place for my car but I didn’t accept and moved my Car to other place, Breakfast was WoW 😋 different food local and international. Room so big and with small living space as well, We will be back Thanks to Blond Girl again

• Double Room with River View

The “gym” was a little small, but that’s ok since I got my exercise just walking around town and exploring. Also, the “King’s Cave” which is a very convenient restaurant below the hotel (take the stairs down from the lobby and you are there!) was a bit overpriced, in my opinion. $40 for a simple piece of bass with no veggies? I had a side dish of spinach but that cost extra. The restaurant was empty on a Monday night.

I got a room with a view overlooking the river, so I was happy. And it wasn’t noisy either! The hotel is very convenient to shops, restaurants, churches, etc. Also, there is an espresso machine in the room with a variety of coffees. And I liked the lime infused refreshing and welcoming water in a pitcher at reception that greeted new guests arriving.

Great location and if you have room with city view, it is quite nice. Staff is very service focused and friendly - front desk, cleaning staff, restaurant. Rooms are on small side but very comfortable. Good beds and shower. This is now my go to hotel in Zurich.

• Double Room with River View

It's a bit expensive but I guess this is the problem in Zurich in general? lol

Half of the ceiling is glass with shutter, so we can enjoy some sunshine in bed when we like.

• Double Room with River View

We are couple and 2 single bed combined. I droped many times between two single bed. Even that single bed is not enough for one person. So bed is trouble, no sleep no comfort

Superb location just across the main train station. Walking distance to the lake, old town and Bahnhofstrasse shopping street. Clean and comfy hotel. Helpful staff.

Our bedroom was on the small size but had everything we needed for our stay. We did n't like the fact that they charged for tap water!

The reception staff were exceptionally helpful as were all the staff. The location of the hotel is very central, just minutes from the railway station and the main shopping and restaurant areas.

Perfect localization, near the train central station, near the shopping street and near the historic old centrum. Very good restaurants around the hotel. The main river in Zurich in front of the hotel.

• Double Room with River View

Breakfast could be better.

Wonderful central location close to the main shopping street Bahnhofstrasse and railway station itself. Loved my cozy freshly renovated room with a lake view.

The space for the toilet in the bathroom in my room (#217) was exceptionally narrow. A minor concern and I'm sure most rooms don't have this problem (mine was in the curved area over the entrance; odd shape.) The room was also overheated and the only way to reduce the temperature was to open the window, which was a bit loud.

Very nice hotel, great location about two minutes on foot from the main train station and next to a big tram interchange.

• Standard Single Room

I had some disagreements about my double room I choose in booking.com and also asked for smoking one but when I arrived they said they don’t have any left smoking rooms, only one but it was not for two ppl.

Modern rooms

• Double Room with River View

The elevators are small, so it's difficult to bring yourself, your luggage, and kids all in one go.

The hotel is very conveniently located by the train station and the Central tram and bus stops. Staff were friendly, and recommended nearby restaurants were decent. We were upgraded to a larger room, and though it was near the elevator we rarely could hear any noise. There is a nearby Coop grocery where you can get pastries, cheeses, etc. to make your own breakfast.

• Junior Suite with River View

Furnishings and equipment in the room are old and tired. I haven't seen so much equipment made circa 1970s in a long while. The room was very poorly prepped - missing toiletries, no toilet paper. Room service was not available. Overall, not worth it it all.

Front desk staff was nice and friendly

• Double Room with River View

We were traveling with a baby, the room is small and we hardly had enough place for the stroller.

The location is really good. The main shopping street is just a walking distance, and many nice places to eat are very close to the hotel. The main train station is just 2 min walking, but the grate things is that you don’t feel that you are so close to the main station. The view is very nice. The stuff was very nice and helpful.

• Suite with River View

Our mattresses and pillows in the room were most uncomfortable. The heating in the room was way too high, given that we were given a winter duvet We specifically asked, and paid for, for a river view and, instead, were allocated a room facing your signboards!

Reception staff could have been more helpful. I asked for a bigger room but it was not possible while it was available on Booking.com at lower rate. I could easily have paid the difference if was required but the receptionist made not efficient efforts to help.

Overall service at restaurant was good

Functional, room on the small side.

The location is brilliant, we had a great view across the river, close to the old town and just across from the main train station for those travelling by train. Extremely friendly and helpful staff. The downstairs cafe is also very comfortable and coffee excellent. This was a last minute 2 day transit for us and the hotel was perfect for exploring the town from.

• Standard Single Room

The only downside is the dropping of the former custom of serving a glass of champagne with Saturday morning breakfast!

Excellently located hotel with a particularly convivial bar with a piano player in the evenings. Breakfast was excellent and the staff very friendly and welcoming.

Room had a smoke aroma - unpleasant when we'd requested non-smoking. All the rest was great.

Great location & facilities for 24 hours in Zurich prior to a long-haul flight. Adjacent rooms with a private/secure lobby was a bonus for parents with two kids 8&10yo as there aren't many "family" rooms in town. Great location for river, railway station & old town.

my floor 's hall was old. water was stucked at bathroom sink to wash hands.Big trouble was taxi which hotel called ,cost was 75 at air port.Normaly 55~60.In addition ,hotel introdauction also say around55-60.He must be put 15 which he drove somewhere to hotel to pick us.It was mistake that we didn't check the price when we got on.We always trouble with taxi driver in zurich.Be careful .

hotel was new.close to main station.there is a piano bar.

We stay in 1st floor so sometime we heard a sound of car and noises from nightclub, I will definitely stay here again

Staff was very helpful and everything in the room was great

• Suite with River View

We had a corner suite booked. I know most European hotel rooms run smaller but was expecting a much larger and comfortable bathroom area in a suite.

Great location, very good staff, overall nice property.

• Double Room with River View

being preauthorized 50% more than room rate. they said in case you drink the bar dry-150 dollars worth.

location.close to station.old city, restaraunts and trams

• Double Room with River View

The tiny fitness center was dark and had little equipment. You couldn't really have a proper workout in there.

Location beside the river/inlet; within walking distance of the entire old quarter. Loved being across the street from the train station, which housed Europe's largest indoor market. The beds were huge and comfortable, the bathrooms spacious and clean

It is a little more than I would like to have paid for the room, though Zurich is a expensive city.

The location of this hotel is great as it is right in the centre of the city. The rooms are modern, clean, have a great bathroom and are comfy. The staff are friendly and welcoming. Buffet breakfast had a great selection and decent coffee

Perfect location in the hearth of Zurich and near the train station. Very friendly staff. Very efficient reception each time we went. Very comfortable bed.

The hotel is very central, it has perfect location. Just opposite of train station and on the river. Cafe shops and restaurants are just one step from you. The Staff is very nice and helpful. I highly recommend it.

Breakfast could have been included in the price, as it was very expensive

Very comfy bed, with a coffee maker in the room. We choose a quiet room at the back. Only 5 mins walk with luggage from the Central Station in Zurich, so very convenient.

The only thing about which one could complain was the wi-fi. Unfurtunately the connection was not that good.

The Central Plaza is located in front of the central train station, which makes it really well located in Zürich and enables its guests to visit the main tourist attractions on foot. Both rooms I booked were clean, comfortable and quiet. During our whole stay staff were friendly and helpful. Moreover, the food at the hotel bar was really good and the sparkling wine selection at new years eve was one of good taste. I recommend it to anyone who wants to stay in a more affordable hotel at a central location.

• Double Room with River View

The room was dirty - dust and found a dirty tissue in the room (staff weren't that bothered when I mentioned this on check out) Room was a bit of a weird shape and therefore felt a bit small

Location - close to train station and old town in fact everything is within easy walking distance Fitness centre Free fruit

We are repeat customers mainly because of the location, room design and comfort, pet-friendliness and staff service. Both times were very good experiences. Will book here again!

EVERYTHING!! Definitely love this hotel! Staff is amazing, services are super, breakfast is excellent and even the fitness room (with thea rower in) has been perfect for an athlete like me just to keep me active during holidays! Thank you!

very nice hotel with a very good location.The staff was very helpfull-especially the reception team. Every body was very kind and professional /liked the hotel very much and will come again

Busy area u hear the local trains but with windows closed does not matter. Actually the street noise lulled me to sleep with window partiallly open. Bed very comfy.

Very convenient to main station and old part of town . Great location no need to take local trains just walk easy to get to with luggage from train station .

This property is immediately opposite the train station. We had alot of luggage as we have been skiing and it is winter and cold. So perfect location. Not noisy, even though we faced the tram lines. Nice and warm and welcoming. We were going to stay near the Opera House and would have had to walk along way over cobble stones, so very glad we didn't. Immediately on the edge of the Alstadt and easy walk to everything.

• Double Room with River View

Room a little small as was bed.

Bed comfortable, view excellent, located at centre of town, food in hotel restaurant very good, receptionist very helpful; overall smacks of quality.

• Double Room with River View

The bathroom door is a mere sheet of thin glass. Forget about having a bowel movement in privacy. Terrible for a hotel like this I expect a proper door!

Parking was expensive and very difficult to negotiate in extremely narrow underground garage.

Location right on lake and across street from train station which had largest Christmas market in it. Room was large and comfortable. Bed was divine. Staff were amazing and helpful and friendly.

Front desk staff was extremely helpful when we approach them for help and information in regards to moving around Zurich. Very polite. Location was good as it is right in the city area.

Tiny rooms, over-priced, dour staff and underwhelming breakfast. They don’t need to try because of the location - and they certainly don’t.

Excellent location.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

at arrival, staff at reception was very unfriendly and said we dont have a room booked (I had the confirmation from booking). Luckily there was something available but there was no support or nice welcoming which is unacceptable in such a hotel.

Location is great

• Double Room with River View

Nothing really. Room a bit small

Location is great with nice room and view from window. Staff is attentive and helpful. Appreciated late checkout allowed we once requested.

Restaurant is so dark and with a lot of columns which is not the best place for breakfast. It might be ok as a bar or a diner but not as a breakfast room. You cannot see the breakfast buffet in one place but on different - scattered bars... You always feel like you are not wanted there!! I don’t know why. It could be the service which is a bit lousy. They answer your questions in such a way that you never want to disturb them again!

Location of the hotel is very good, by the tram stop and across the train station. Rooms are OK.

The rooms are old and need major renovation. I felt I am in 70’s in the room.... the furniture is poor and the floor was dirty... overall I will not recommend the hotel

• Double Room with River View

Too cold during end of the year . Visit Zurich in April & May would be nice .

Very central , with in walking distance to all attraction , shops , Restuarants , museums and church’s .

Common area when exiting the elevator could use an uplifting - old carpet smell... once you enter room however it is very clean (and no carpets). Also, elevator on two occasions had door not opening properly

Beds were very Comfortable & Clean! Duvets were great! Best however was location!

All was good... all was very good.

Excellent location. I had little preparation for the trip, did not have a map, nor data, but when I walked towards the tourist information center (which was closed by the time I got to Zurich), I saw the hotel splat right in front of me. Absolutely pristine location!

Browse Central Plaza traveller photo gallery