Reviews of Chalet Hotel Schönegg 4 stars

Wiestistrasse 8, 3920 Zermatt, Switzerland

#40 of 317 hotels in Zermatt

9.7

The view of the Matterhorn from the restaurant was breathtaking!! The breakfast buffet was incredible!! The hotel even provided wash cloths, which is something not easily found in European hotels. Loved the whole experience!! Zermatt is a beautiful village!!

Room temperatures could get very warm and there was no way to moderate other than opening a window which was fine but a bit strange that you couldn't regulate the temperatures. Housekeeping missed a few items like toilet paper and tissues but asked at the front desk and received immediately. Truly only minor things but wanted to be truthful. Wonderful hotel overall.

Charming hotel in Zermatt at a good value. Traditional decor, rooms were a good size with couch, easy chair and desk area. Nice bathrooms with excellent shower and new bathroom fixtures. Beds maybe a little hard but I didn't mind that and had great sleep. Views from the room and large balcony of the Matterhorn were outstanding. Wonderful selection at breakfast every morning, 4 different kinds of eggs, many breads & pastries, meat & cheeses, large yogurt, cereal and fruit selection, several juices. Views from the breakfast room and outdoor bar/patio area also outstanding. Enjoyed cocktails every evening after skiing outside on the sun patio watching the sun set behind the mountains. Fantastic view up above the town. Food in restaurant very good if a little pricey. Enjoyed the lounge every evening to play family games. Spa very nice with 2 hot tubs with views of the mountains, sauna, aroma steam bath ice bucket, and resting room with waterbeds. Spa does look just a bit dated. Staff were all incredibly friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay again and would recommend to anyone!

• Charme Double Room with Matterhorn View

While the breakfast was very good the food at dinner was indifferent, expensive for what it was and not up to the standard of the rest of the hotel. Six of us ate there twice and were of the same opinion.

A beautiful view from our bedroom. Hotel conveniently close to ski lifts.

• Charme Double Room

Only one thing, the bed could have been could have been more comfortable

Great breakfast, staff were excellent, cosy bar, spectacular views, spacious room, lovely quiet spa, everything worked, super location... the list goes on

• Boutique Double Room with Matterhorn View

Everything was perfect great staff from the reception to the restaurant with nice smile and the best thing is the view unbelievable matheron and Zermatt village, 100000% I will recommend this hotel

No comment

The hotel staff were very helpful, accommodating and welcoming. The entire stay was pleasant and the hotel itself is situated in the best location on Zermatt.

• Charme Double Room with Matterhorn View

Lovely breakfast with a view. Housekeeping came twice a day while we stepped out of the room, without any intrusion. Fast and efficient housekeeping also folded cute little designs with towels / kids' clothes. Lovely hosts who helped arrange variations to our stay before our arrival. Nice pick up /drop off at train station with prior arrangement. Ski room in hotel to keep ski equipment and boots. Heated toilet floor was wonderful. Tunnel leading to hotel very cool with nice Christmas music for the festive mood.

• Boutique Double Room with Matterhorn View

I traveled with my family, including 2 infant childs. High prices considering their service. Far from the station. Not a prime location, the same view could have been enjoyed from nearly every hotel in Zermatt; noting that in order to enjoy the view the in the Chalet Schonegg you will have to forget your privacy. The beds are twin beds beside each orher. The staff are nice and helpful; but they lacked the professionalism to handle the reservation and the special request (late check-out); to sum it up: I made a reservation more than one month earlier requesting a late check-out, the hotel sent me saying that its ok and I can request it when checking-in. The night before my check in (After the free cancellation period lapsed) they sent me saying that they will not be able to provide a late check-out. I understand that it depends upon the occupancy of the hotel to grant late check-out, but I believe that they could have sent me earlier in advance to either change my existing plans or cancel the reservation and make another one that can accommodate my requests. I also note that a hotel is free to accomodate special requests, but being in the highest range of prices in Zermatt I didnt think they would insist on checking out strictly at 11:00 AM. The bottom line is that if you want to pay the highest fare in Zermatt just for a bed to sleep on for a few hours at night with no extra options at all, then this is your hotel, but if you tried lots of good hotels that would accommodate your requests flawlessly, then you need to consider otherwise (In this trip I tried other 4 different hotels in Switzerland and they were all more than helpful to consider all my requests). To be fair; they transferred my luggage to a sister hotel, and they offered me to use the sauna bathroom.

Some of the rooms have a good view, but you feel like you are in the street; because the location of the hotel lies below a street level, making the third and fourth floors feel like the first and second and you would be directly facing the street and opposite hotels (Meaning that you will not enjoy the view unless you sacrifice your room privacy totally).

• Boutique Double Room

It was a good experience, I have nothing negative to say

The breakfast was excellent, staff very helpful and efficient. Especially enjoyed the tunnel access. We enjoyed the restaurant and the great view of the Matterhorn. We had an excellent stay in Zermatt. We traveled from Zurich to Geneva and our stay in Zermatt was the best.

• Charme Quadruple Room

The service by the staff was great and you could request for a free transfer to the train station from the hotel. The rooms were very comfortable and had great views of the city or matterhorn depending on the room type. Definitely recommending this hotel to everyone visiting Zermatt.

• Charme Double Room with Matterhorn View

We found everything great so no complaints

Great location. We had a room with a view of the Matterhorn. When the clouds cleared it was a fantastic view. We had dinner there both nights and found the food excellent.

• Charme Double Room with Matterhorn View

I loved the wellness spa! But all of the instructions were in German - as someone who cannot read German well I would like the instructions in different languages, so I don't end up doing something that is not allowed :)

My first time in Switzerland and I have been blown away by the amazing views and people of Zermatt. The staff were lovely, and they answered every question I had. The room was AMAZING. It had an amazing view of the Matterhorn, comfortable seats on the balcony, a comfortable bed, an amazing TV with lots of channel options and a well stocked bathroom. Lots of storage to store away your clothes. There is twice daily housekeeping which keep water well stocked which I was very grateful for. The only thing I am sad about is how short my stay was :( The food was excellent and although I did not have the course meals at the evening, breakfast was great, not too busy and there was a lot of options - there were so many tea options! In the evenings I went to the bar to have some fries and drink, what my only suggestion would be is to add those foods on the menu - I am a fussy eater and most of the menu I wouldn't have liked but it would be great if you included fries or bread selection to the menu as I had to ask if you had it. And even for an off-menu item the presentation was excellent! I will definitely go here again, it was so lovely!

• Boutique Double Room with Matterhorn View

When I arrived I stayed long time at the train station waiting for pick up and when the driver arrives he was very nice at all and told me you do not have reservation for pick up !! The reception was also not nice , and when I spoke to them about the pickup they told me I showed have booked the room through their website to get all the information bout pick up reservation!! They look like they are punching BOOKING .COM CUSTOMER !! I Checked out the second day to another hotel which was much much better larger room excelent view with much less price

Food was very nice , view was perfect

• Charme Double Room with Matterhorn View

All the staff members wete nice, but one lady serving in the restraunt for breakfast was a bit unfriendly(Compare to the other staffs)

Perfect place to enjoy matterhorn(If you stay at Matterhorn view room). Nice and Kind staff members at reception, the porter was gentle and kind. Weather and the terrace helped me to see the fantastic and spectacular view of Matterhorn.

• Charme Double Room with Matterhorn View

Dining area staff was overwhelmed! Need more serving staff to provide quality service expected at this amazing hotel. Coffee was fantastic - if you could get it.

Location wars perfect! View of Matterhorn from room, dining area and patio! Amazing!

• Charme Double Room with Matterhorn View

Honestly can't think of a single thing that could have been done better.

Very friendly and helpful staff. The rooms we booked all had an amazing view of the Matterhorn and were furnished in the traditional Swiss mountain style. We will definately be coming back here again in the winter!

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

• Boutique Double Room with Matterhorn View

Was a tad difficult to manage the room heating as there was just one small radiator and the curtain was covering it. Also the bathroom had underfloor heating, which got turned on when we switched the lights, became super hot very quickly, so had to use the towels to walk/stand in the bathroom. Small issues though...

Amazing location, beautifully done room, very good reception and a lovely service in the Restaurant. The secret tunnel down to the city was an added plus. The views to the Matterhorn from my room were stunning and in a better weather once an enjoy the deck outside for meals.

• Boutique Double Room

Schonegg completely exceeded our expectations. The view of the Matterhorn from the property is amazing. The buffet breakfast is delicious and the property is very convenient for getting to the slopes. The wellness area is excellent after a big day out on the slopes and the staff are very helpful!

• Reviewed: 3 April 2017

• Charme Double Room with Matterhorn View

We were given a room 603 on 6th floor with stunning view of the Matterhorn and it was absolutely fantastic!! There's nothing I don't like about this place. Perfect location, nice staff, great breakfast with the best view we ever had. Definitely value for money! We enjoyed our stay so so much:)

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

• Boutique Double Room

Absence of gym (fitness room).

Dining. Service in spa was excellent. Staff was very friendly and efficient. Location is very convenient in proximity to Zermatt-Sunnega funicular station. View from the terrace is spectacular.

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

• Suite

Price!

Great breakfast. Restaurant really nice for a romantic dinner! Suite great, looking at matterhorn. @ minutes to Sunnega Express. Above all the staff and management make the Schonegg so very nice to stay at!

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

• Boutique Double Room

We rented three double rooms. One had a balcony and good views, the other two didn't. All the room very priced the same.

Amazing views and good location. The personnel is very attentive

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

• Charme Double Room

The bed was a little hard for my taste.

The hotel was very close to the mountian allowed for easy access to skiing. Also the staff was very helpful and friendly.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

• Charme Double Room

Service is great, people friendly, but just one person didn't welcomed and explained well which gave a negative first impression. By chance it was just a bad start, rest was fantastic

Great location and easy access with free hotel shuttle. Room decoration, confort, view are amazing. Food delicious

• Reviewed: 18 January 2017

• Boutique Double Room with Matterhorn View

Had problems with length of shower screen and keeping water in the shower which led to significantly wet floor.

Excellent location to access mountain and town, and excellent view of the Matterhorn from room and dining area. Very clean room with turn down service and occasional surprise.

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

• Boutique Double Room

There was nothing to not like

Excellent staff, very friendly and very efficient. The food on the a la carte menu was tasty and well presented and the half board option was good value for money in an expensive resort. The location of the property is outstanding if you are a keen skier.

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

• Boutique Double Room with Matterhorn View

A bit disappointed with the fireplace without the fire and closed all the time at lobby place.

*Excellent hotel for Matterhorn view and Zermatt town view. *Friendly and helpful staffs. *Punctuality in porter service. *Good breakfast and many choices.

• Reviewed: 16 October 2016

• Charme Double Room with Matterhorn View

Beautiful, fantastic hotel in a perfect location with amazing Matterhorn view (especially at sunrise). Very comfortable, clean room with awesome balcony. An outstanding, friendly, helpful staff. Great breakfast with perfect view of Zermatt and Matterhorn. Beautiful spa facility. Short walk to Zermatt train station, Gornergrat train station as well as Zermatt restaurants and shopping. Our favorite hotel anywhere. Our second time visiting Zermatt and staying in this hotel.

• Reviewed: 24 September 2016

It was all lovely!

The hotel is stunning and the rooms have a Swiss alpine charm that add to the ambience of the place. The staff couldn't have been more helpful either - from picking us up at the station to recommending walks for us, the staff are amazing.

• Reviewed: 13 August 2016

• Boutique Double Room

Didnt like the fact we had to leave

Beautiful breakfast, fabulous bedrooms with amazing views, very comfortable beds, very quiet. Staff couldn't be more helpful, spa so relaxing

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

• Boutique Double Room

We had a fantastic time in this beautiful hotel. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly and we were very happy with our rooms. They even upgraded us to a corner room with view of the Matterhorn. Enjoyed in particular the delicious breakfast buffet with lots of specialities of the region.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

• Boutique Double Room with Matterhorn View

Beautiful hotel, great staff. We booked the room with Matterhorn view and it doesn't disappoint. The hotel is located on a hill so you get the view over Zermatt and the Matterhorn also from the restaurant at breakfast (which is a great way to start the day), location is quiet away from the hustle and bustle yet thanks to a lift and tunnel that provide direct access to the hotel it is just within minutes' walk from the city centre, bars and restaurants, the central station and the train station to go up the Gornergrat. It is just perfect. I would stay here again.

• Reviewed: 22 July 2016

• Charme Quadruple Room

Very polite, Humble and great staff. Very good location.Rooms are very clean and organized very professionally. Would recommend this to anyone with family and ask for a family suite like 509.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

No complaints at all..

One of the best hotels in my entire trip to Europe. Open the Window and Matterhorn would wink at you every morning. Fantastic staff very spacious rooms. Well maintained property.

• Reviewed: 30 June 2016

• Boutique Double Room

We upgraded our room to one with a view of the Matterhorn and it was definitely worth it. There was a balcony with chairs and the view was spectacular. The hotel was within walking distance of the train station and had a very unique entrance. One walked through a tunnel to an elevator which opened into the hotel reception. We ate dinner here which was a set menu for hotel guests ( though we could have ordered of the menu also). It was OK. We had had lunch in town and Zermatt is very hilly so decided to be lazy and eat at the hotel. The breakfast buffet was very good. And the hotel had a shuttle service to the train station.

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

• Charme Double Room with Matterhorn View

A little bit expensive. Had a lovely evening meal in the restaurant but I thought that the portion size of the meal was a bit small ( especially considering the cost).

The location of the property and the view of the Matterhorn from our 6th floor centre balcony was fantastic. Helpful housekeeping staff.

• Charme Double Room with Matterhorn View

Excellent hotel, with great attention paid to detail. We were made to feel very welcome.

• Charme Quadruple Room

The staff very friendly, good service, nice view and great location.

excellent

• Charme Double Room with Matterhorn View

Can’t control the heat in the rooms... gets warm!

Location was great. Friendly staff with great food and you can’t beat the view from the porch

To leave

Good beds great view from the room with balcony

• Charme Double Room with Matterhorn View

Fantastic location, beautiful views and easy access to skiing. Immaculately clean. Great food. Extremely attentive and pleasant staff.

Wonderful location facing Mt Cervin, top quality breakfast, great sauna

• Charme Double Room

Good restorant. Good staff.

• Boutique Double Room with Matterhorn View

The hotel personel should have checked receipt carefully so nobody doesn’t hurt

Location is good. The hotel is near sunnegga train

Staff , breakfast, location,and view

great location

All good.

Beautiful location

Our view

Very large room. Very nice bathroom. Excellent breakfast buffet. View of Matterhorn from terrace

• Boutique Double Room

We could not figure out the bathroom shower controls. Bathed instead.

The view of The Matterhorn from the deck is spectacular!

There was a free shuttle waiting in front of train station.

• Boutique Double Room with Matterhorn View

The staff could be much more friendly and attentive.

Superb location

• Boutique Double Room

Personnel wait staff could be more attentive and friendlier rather than being short when asked a question. No smiles on staff faces

• Charme Double Room

Beds were so uncomfortable. No air conditioning. Was so hot when we were there

All of it

• Boutique Double Room with Matterhorn View

Excellent staff, service and breakfast buffet. Room with good mountain view.

• Charme Double Room with Matterhorn View

wish they had A/c or a fan

EVerything!

• Charme Double Room

Kitchen wasn't functioning on our first night

Great breakfast, amazing views, very comfortable, had the best sun deck

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

• Boutique Double Room with Matterhorn View

Our evening meal was very average

Breakfast was excellent. View from the room was spectacular

we booked 2 roooms with Matterhorn view but we got just 1. =(

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

Great view.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

• Boutique Double Room with Matterhorn View

Everything was perfect, rooms, service, food, view

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

• Boutique Double Room

Room was a little on the warm side for me but perfectly comfortable nonetheless

The view from the terrace of the Matterhorn was incredible!

Comfortable rooms. Great breakfast. Spa facilities. Views

• Reviewed: 1 April 2017

• Boutique Double Room

Zajtrk! SPA! Pogled na Matterhorn!

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

The exchange rate!

All the staff are friendly and helpful.The views from the terrace are stunning.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

• Charme Double Room

Everything about the hotel. Absolutely fantastic place to stay and the tunnel access was brilliant

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

• Boutique Double Room

Excellent Hotel & Restaurant..!!Amazing Staff..!!Fabulous location..!! Schönegg has it all!!

• Reviewed: 25 February 2017

• Boutique Double Room

The pillows not comfortable to flatt

The breakfast was very good.The bar had good selection of coffees and drinks and its very cosy.

• Reviewed: 25 February 2017

the reception

the location

• Reviewed: 23 February 2017

• Boutique Double Room with Matterhorn View

Great spot for a quiet hotel.

• Reviewed: 11 February 2017

• Boutique Double Room with Matterhorn View

Self-service fried eggs, bacon, etc. could sometimes have been warmer

Excellent muesli

• Reviewed: 8 February 2017

• Boutique Double Room with Matterhorn View

Breakfast was outstanding and the room lovely. The location couldn't have been more magical and convenient to town and the ski hill.

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

• Suite

Breakfast was delicious and there was a juicer!

• Reviewed: 14 January 2017

Spa was a bit cold.

Lovely atmosphere, really cosy and great view of the Matterhorn.