Reviews of Hotel Churchill 4 stars

Rue du Simplon, 15, Eaux-Vives, 1207 Geneva, Switzerland

#94 of 95 hotels in Geneva

6.2

The long time (three hours) to get the room ready on the second day. The price of breakfasts (26 CHF) is frankly out of order for this type of hotels. Single room quite small. Air conditioning did not work for the two days of my stay. Staff not really concerned...

Balcony was not maintained, dated AstroTurf that was covered in rocks/dirt.

Location was very nice, Walking distance to the old town, The Jet D'eau, Lake Geneva, around a 15-20 Minute walk to the Train Station. Free City bus card upon check in, If you were unsure of anything staff could explain thoroughly what you needed to know. Pleasantly surprised with a balcony room upon check in.

There was an odd smell throughout the hotel on the last day which was hard to avoid wherever you went. We had our bedroom window open most of the morning before checking out to keep the smell away. I suspect this was more an isolated incident and not a regular occurrence as I haven’t seen any other reviews mention it.

Hotel is perfectly located by Lake Geneva with only a 1min walk away from Jet L’Eau which is a must see if you are in Geneva. The closest big bus stop is only 5-10min walk away and has links to all of Geneva including Mont Salvé and the Airport.

I find the lighting in the rooms rather dim. It is expensive I think , it is possible to find less expensive accommodation however it is the location that I want

The staff are courteous and helpful , beds comfortable , lots hot water , clean , and the location is perfect for my needs

Room 102 is most probably the most noisy one, since it’s very close the the reception and room door doesn’t giving any privacy, while guys talking downstairs. Too noisy.

Location is very good, breakfast was quite ok.

The man at the reception tried to fool us a coupe of Times. Tried to convince us the the rooms we booked didn’t exists and also tried to make us pay twice for the rooms. The lady that was there was nice and didn’t have anything to do with that.

The building is old fashioned (like so much of Geneva) with small rooms and a tiny lift.

Staff are very helpful. The hotel is quite and I had no problems sleeping. The rooms are also very warm, despite temperatures of -5 outside. The locations is excellent.

Reception is disorganized as well as staff. Very strong smell of gas in the lobby. Internet is the worst one I ever had in Switzerland, I was shocked that such WiFi speed is possible one hotel to provide in CH! One of the worse hotels in Switzerland I’ve been, probably the worst one, what is kind of difficult to find in this country.

Very good location in the city center and close to the lake. Cheaper hotel in Geneva, room is ok, old but looks good.

There was no kettle in the room and the wifi didn't seem to work very well. Bathroom was on the small side but sufficient. It was a little bit of a walk to the tram stop but ok as it wasn't raining.

I had a single room but the bed was big and comfortable. Staff on the desk were friendly, helpful and efficient. The location was quiet.

There were feces and urina in the toilets. The flush had not been used and the cleaners didn't notice so it might have been done very quickly to say the least. I asked for an iron and the ironing table was broken. The breakfast: very expensive for what it is, especially with stale bread!

Very friendly staff, available and helpful. Room a bit small but comfortable, quiet and fully furnished. Good location, close of transports. Mostly clean, except... (see negative comments)

The cleaning person, the same person was serving breakfast was not attentive and was lazy to complete his tasks. When I had a sign Do Not Disturb hanging outside my room, he could enter my room and start cleaning it. At the breakfast, one day he finished service at 9.30 a.m. instead of 10 a.m. (which I was told at the reception and during my stay of 5 days it was always 10 a.m.). The other day he refused to serve eggs, which were served other days.

The receptionist was very friendly when I checked in.

bed was slanted and they didn't have another room for us. in the end it was fine but as soon as you walked in the room you could see the bed was slanted down towards the headboard. A little ridiculous. the heat works very well but the persiana blinds didn't close properly and lots of light came in because our room was in front of the hotel sign. The staff was nice enough but not that friendly really. However,the location is excellent, really centrally located and easy to get to. I would still recommend it though because the price is excellent and overall it's a good place.

at the 3rd floor, the Internet connection was quite bad and the speed was love. There was a strange smell at the reception (like gas) and in the corridor too. Maybe, the building needs some airing.

The only down point was a problem with the central heating, so the rooms were a bit warm and we had to keep the windows open.

We were very satisfied with our stay at the hotel. The personnel was very helpful and friendly, the atmosphere calm and all in classic style. The breakfast was tasty and we had a good time at the Churchill!

A quiet night's sleep in a comfortable bed with a good breakfast. The neighborhood has many shops and restaurants. Hotel is within walking distance of Lake Leman and the water jet. A bus stop is around the corner.

Breakfast breads and rolls were not as fresh as they should have been.

Overall it is quite comfortable Hotel, the staff are helpful and pleasant. I chose this Hotel for it,s location and would use it again.

As per other reviews, the shower was a disaster and wouldn't stay on the wall. Some basic maintenance would go a long way to improving this property. It would be expensive for what we got any where other than Geneva.

The location is great, only one block from the lake and Jet deEau. The rooms were basic and dated but clean. It is only 10 minutes walk to the old town and cathedral. While not luxury the room was perfect for short stay like ours, 2 nights.

Wifi was terrible, disconnecting every 2 minutes and then not available every 10 minutes and shower VERY small with cheap shower curtain. No coffee/kettle in room.

The hotel is close to the coast line.

The hotel is not a 4 star hotel as it said in the ad; reception is very 'poor' and old fashion, breakfast is very expensive for what is really available (even for Swiss prices).

Clean, redecorated and spacious Bathroom

Geneva is an expensive city but even taking that in to account, this hotel feels like something of a rip off for the facilities provided. No frills at all, not even a complimentary tea or coffee which for £150 a night I would certainly expect. Bathroom was tiny. Shower could not be turned on full power as the hose flew off it's holder. No room service at all despite saying on the website that there is 24-hour room service. Wifi didn't work with the password given. When mentioned to front desk, they couldn't understand why (not their fault, they are not in charge of the wifi and tried their best to help).

Excellent location, two minute walk to the Jet D'Eau. Comfortable bed. Front desk staff were very pleasant and helpful.

the shower stall , shower head loose , one has to be very careful when using the shower or risk getting water all over the floor. The Hotel in general would probably benefit from a "freshen up ", but overall no real complaints .

Comfortable bed , good A/C, lots hot water, location, staff are helpful and pleasant .

Slow check-in process (but didn't have chance with a group arriving right before me). Area not perfect for business travels.

Nice to be able to leave late, comfy

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

The hotel was adequate, but certainly not four stars. Some of the staff can be quite incompetent. The hotel did not have our booking that had been made via booking.com. They said it was because they had not added it to the thief system. My colleague and I had to wait for an hour for them to find rooms for the night. The next day, the manager sorted things out and we were able to stay for as long as we had originally booked. The manager apologised and after that everything was all right. The wifi does not work.

Wifi must have been running on Windows 98! Scandalous. Most people in GVA come for business - to not have access to Wifi is unacceptable in 2017.

Room too small. No bathtub. Bathroom very very tiny.Room key kept losing its memory....had to have it reset several times. After being offered a bigger room with bathtub and my luggage was packed and ready to move i was informed that i cannot have it after all and was sent back to my room. Ensuring customer satisfaction was not high on tjeir priority lust.

Breakfast was delicious

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

The hotel had terrible staff, talking on the phone for 15 minutes while overseas guests are waiting. The room was dingy, small with a small bathroom. There were missing bulbs on the only small 40 W lamp. We were given a 7W bulb which when inserted short circuited the whole room. Wireless internet was always at a standstill for someone on a business trip and the cable on TV froze frequently when it provided any picture. The breakfast had a very small unappealing selection. I do not understand how 4 star was awarded to this dump. Great location though. Photos of property are deceiving.

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

The hotel is quite run down for what it costs. The lobby and elevator constantly have a toilet smell, only substituted by cigarette smell from the front desk people taking a break and smoking right outside the entrance. The hotel's breakfast looks very poor for the price. The streets around it have decent restaurants but we found lots of garbage bags around. There were no bins, so people would put their trash directly on the street. The room was very loud. Every morning the cleaning lady would park the cleaning car outside our room and made a lot of noise. On our checkout the front desk guy tried to make a photocopy of my credit card and when I retrieved it and said I could not allow him to do so as directed by my bank he started harassing me me and even told that if he wanted to use my card he already had the numbers! That was very uncomfortable.

The hotel has a good location. The blinds totally lock the light out.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

Everything. This hotel is a complete and utter disgrace, our experience there was horrendous from start to finish. Having booked and paid for the room via booking.com, we were "welcomed" at reception (resembling the entry to an unkempt brothel rather than the 4-star establishment they are allegedly running) by a member of staff claiming the payment hadn't been made even though they had a copy of the transaction at hand. After hours of negotiating and battling with the most unhelpful, uninviting members of staff we have ever come across, we were finally granted access to our room, not without having to pay the fare a SECOND time. Had we known what was coming, we would have left this place at the first hurdle. The room was disgusting, the smell atrocious, the bed linen dirty, and the general derelict look to it was that of a B horror movie. This was enough to make us leave the very next day, and promise we would never set foot in this place ever again. Of course we weren't offered any sort of refund, or other gesture of the kind, making us wonder if "customer service" is a term belonging to their vocabulary. Claiming the Churchill is a 4-star hotel is the most ridiculous statement, and it should be stripped of all its so-called accomplishments, stay as far from it as possible, the bed bugs will bite.

• Superior Single Room

I wouldn't rate this as a 4 star, even if the room and the bathroom very clean. As I enter the reception, ok it was around 10pm, but still I felt like leaving and finding another hotel. But I was tired from the trip, it was late and thought I am here only for a night anyway. A lot of people mentioned a weird smell at reception when I read the comments before booking and thought it was probably a temporary thing...unfortunately not.

The location is probably one of the only reason I would book this hotel again, and maybe the price. The room was clean, the bed and the pillows were comfy. And I also liked the paintings on the walls, they brought some modernity and live to a quite bland and sad looking room. The bathroom was also very clean and an ok size. The hotel does the trick for a few days, not for a longer stay. I was there for one night it was good for that short period of time.

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

• Superior Single Room

The view at the rear of the building is bad. In the smaller rooms you can hear adjoining rooms

I like the location, easy access to services nearby and quiet area.

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

The room was quite small and the hotel is showing its age. It may have once been a four-star hotel but I don't think it really deserves that rating now. The WiFi signal was very poor - it was virtually unusable inside my room, and even when I stood in the corridor or lobby it would drop out regularly.

The staff were very friendly and accommodating. The location was great - a few steps away from the Jet d'Eau and a short walking distance to tram stops.

• Reviewed: 25 March 2017

This hotel is so dated ...staff were very non-engaging ; rooms are small, bathroom is also very small

Breakfast was adequate , good to have minibar and additional toiletries for sale

• Reviewed: 20 January 2017

The reception, the fact that it is a four star hotel yet I felt like it was a 2 star hotel. I was disappointed as the photos on the website did not correspond to the room.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

Decent place to stay - but absolutely NOT a 4* hotel. At most a 3. Rooms were over heated. Decent for a short stay. Price was ok. Very 1960's -esque. But close to the lake, a main strip and town. Great for a morning jog... don't book if you're looking for luxury, but if you're on a budget and need something decent - click away.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

I asked for one large bed, but got two twin matresses (with separate sheets) on a double-bed frame.

The bed was refreshingly firm, the room and bath were clean, the bathroom fittings were relatively modern. The breakfast was a cut above the usual hotel buffet breakfast, with a choice of bread, cooked items (egg, bacon) and fruit.

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

Initially first room I was given was so small my suitcases did not fit in the room.

The staff were very friendly and gave me a better room after I complained.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

The lighting in the rooms could be brighter, the rooms are rather dark.,and a bit shabby ,an extra towel would be nice.

The beds are very comfortable.The water is hot and plentiful.The staff are very helpful.It is clean, the location is good.I have stayed there twice a year for several years .

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

I have know idea how that Hotel apparently got 4 stars. Terrible place, if it were cheap at least, but it wasn't. Will never go back.

Highlight: the moment I checked out

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

• Superior Single Room

Hotel is really very limited and only in Geneva could you charge this sort of rate for a hotel which ticks the "Fine" box, but no more.

Hotel location makes it easy to get around the city. Staff are friendly. Rooms are adequate

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

Great location near the city center and the public beach. Geneva is great for a long weekend vacation easy to get around, great food, splendid public transport, we got a free pass for the public boats and buses. were useful. lots of excursion possibilities but .. Switzerland is expensive but worth the cost

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

The room was very small, and the bathroom even smaller. I suggest replacing the door to the bathroom with one that slides into the wall, because to get to the sink one has to back up into the narrow space between the shower stall and the toilet and close the door. The breakfast is very expensive. I noticed that almost nobody had taken the option. Better to go to one of the local cafés.

The hotel was very quiet. I had a good night's sleep. It is also located close to a number of bus and tram routes and -- had I been so inclined -- the water bus. There are several cute cafés near by also.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

Location is excellent, less than 100 metres from lake Geneva, fountain and a number of things. Bus number 6 which goes to the main train station is about a100 metres. Rooms in the hotel were nice and clean and staff was very cooperative

• Reviewed: 27 August 2016

not the cleanest hotel, you can tell the hotel has seen better days (not that it is bad now but you see where maintenance would be necessary)

location, 5 minutes from jet d'eau, quiet at night, friendly staff, decent breakfast, fairly cheap

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

Pillows not very comfortable. White bread rolls not crispy. Scrambled egg lukewarm.

Very convenient for lake, buses into town & restaurants. One member of staff in particular really helpful when we arrived on 20/07/16. Had everything we needed.

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

Hot water took some time to arrive Cleaning staff were very noisy.

Excellent location - some new bars and restaurants opening just around the corner, close to the beach and a pleasant walk to shopping (in summer). Staff were friendly and the room was basic but fine.

• Reviewed: 11 July 2016

it's far not **** hotel. it's a **. Two additional stars hotel put themselves for location. Breakfast is ok but quite poor, my pillow covers had holes in them, and when I was checking out I had a bill to pay the entire mini-bar which I never used (luckily, those weird costs were removed at the end).

• Reviewed: 22 June 2016

Very bad interior - for whatever reason its far from 4 stars, even not the best 3 stars, plus wifi doesn`t work, you connect but then receive some stupid malware protection message on all devices (tried on 3 different ones - and seen some other clients complaining abt this on reception), air conditioner doesn`t work normally, you can`t setup temperature so even if you set 30 degrees, it gets to 19 in 10 seconds:) And also therate - if you don`t have swiss franks be ready that hotel will charge you by 0,95 rate for euro (while official is 1,08 francs per euro).

Very kind personnel

The sewer smell on arrival

Nothing stood out as exceptional

Very small rooms, bed stuck to the wall. Small toilet with no amenities

Very nice location close to the lake. Tram 3min walking distance away

I liked the location.

• Superior Twin Room

Small room,,very dated furniture, mixed pleasantness if staff, no kettle in room

Extremely small room. Very, very poor internet.

Fire escapes poorly marked only seems to be one main stairwell. That’s the one serious reason I would not return.

No value of money not 4 star categoryp

Only it is near centre

worst 4 star hotel in geneva

Everything was as expected

All ok

Room need to be renovated. Old bed. Old carpet.

Excellent staff

terrible wifi ...slightly run down , overpriced breakfast

location and helpful staff

Room stinks, room very small, very expensive

Near to centre

Value for money bit bad without breakfast

Almost everything,

I had no internet connection in my room

Everything was great, I recommend.

Room during the winter time could be bit more warmer.

smell in the corridor and the rooms - the hotel clearning service did not return the t-shirt lest in the room

location is perfect

terrible wifi while the phone signal is too bad to make a phone call

good location

they were no porter when we cam in the hotel (13.00). by 21.00 the rooms were ready without keys. everybody forgot to ofeer us tickets for transport

Poor internet connection

Helpful friendly personnel. Ticket for public transport.

The two single beds pushed together kept on sliding apart

Location was excellent and the staff were very welcoming.

It smells like an outdated building

Exceptional value for money.

• Superior Twin Room

Staff do not speak English for an international hotel.

Not much

Breakfast too expensive

Friendly staff

staff at reception are very friendly. The hotel is close to the lake and the fountain.

Ecxellent location! Very Comfortable bed!

Was a little noisy

Front desk was very helpful with local information and restaurant recommendations

Rooms are small