Reviews of Hotel City Inn 3 stars

Centralbahnplatz 14, 4002 Basel, Switzerland

#34 of 56 hotels in Basel

Nice location near train station, so you can easily travel...
    • Economy Double Room

Nice location near train station, so you can easily travel to other locations as Luzern. All windows face inner yard so room was comfortable and quiet

Overnight in Basel
    • Economy Twin Room

I booked at the City Inn, but then I was "upgraded" to the Euler at check-in. All ok, I was told that the room was better. Some disappointment when I saw how small was the room...Hardly any space even to move around the bed.

Very conveniently located close to the train station.

Good position if you travel by train. Be careful, check well that they give you what you've booked
    • Economy Double Room

I didn't like the room they gave me at my arrival after 5 hours driving. Small and dirty. Was a different room from what I've booked and what they showed me on the web. I've asked to change it. And they did only when I became very upset. I had to insist to get the room shown in my reservation.

Thanks to the person at the reception that gave me the right room I've booked.

Good but need little improvements
    • Economy Double Room

Noise from adjacent road. Need double glazing. Plus Limited privacy as the opposite residential building few meters away on the other side facing the room and residents sitting on their balcony seeing and watching. Suggest to install black mirror glaze windows. Duvets under sheets has blood stains and seems never cleaned for long tome from the colour and stains. No coffee tea facility in the room. No fridge

Location Staff Decoration Tv channels Free bottle of water Friendly reception Room lighting

Good clean hotel in convenient location.
    • Economy Double Room

Having to negotiate your way through another hotel & function room to get to the room.

Room was average size, but the bathroom was huge. Close to Railway station & Airport bus. They gave us a transport pass to use while we were there & this included the Airport bus when we departed next day.

Hotel close to the station, cleanliness of the room, helpful...
    • Economy Single Room

Single room incredibly small, no space between the bed and the air conditioner, very steep staircase to reach the room and very long way out in case of fire.

Hotel close to the station, cleanliness of the room, helpful and kind staff.

Ideally located
    • Economy Double Room

The hotel is ideally located few steps away from Basel's main train station and the bus stop to the airport, which makes it an excellent fit for people aiming to travel really early in the morning like us. The room was spacious, comfortable and clean. We even had a massage shower :) great addition. The staff members were informative and helpful.

Reasonable value for money but nothing great.
    • Economy Double Room

The room was a bit small for the large bed leaving little space. The air conditioning was old and noisy.

The hotel is in a great central location near the train station and tram stops. The bed was comfortable if a bit squashed in the small room. The restaurant downstairs is very good.

Excellent in every way
    • Economy Double Room

Nothing could have been better

Everything about the hotel was excellent; friendly staff, ultra clean; good location; and certainly value for money. We will certainly stay at the hotel again and will recommend it to others.

Upgrade in Euler hotel is not a good idea !
    • Economy Double Room

When we arrived, we were "upgraded" to the Euler hotel, which is an old style 4*, not very fancy. The room was rather small, with old style decor. It was also noisy as being facing the street where trams turn ... (although we specified we did not want to be on that side of the hotel when booking City Inn). Very disappointing overall.

Very central location in Basel, very close to the Basel SBB station.

I liked the room - nice and clean and neat - exactly as at...
    • Economy Double Room

I didn't like that I had to carry the luggage up the steps. Getting from check-in to the room was super tiring, especially after the whole day of travelling. It was also super hard for me to find the entrance. Following Google Maps, lead me to the opposite side of the block...

I liked the room - nice and clean and neat - exactly as at the pictures and I like that when my expectation is matched.

Loved the place...Will be back someday !!
    • Economy Double Room

Can't think of anything. It was All Good !!

It was an excellent room. Colour scheme fantastic...very bright and cheerful. Loved our stay there........As Arnie said "I'll be BACK !!! "

Enjoyable stay
    • Deluxe Twin or King Room

Breakfast was poor. There were no minibar at the room we stayed.

Hotel is located just opposite the main train station and near to the Basel airport bus. Beds were comfy and room&bath was extremely big. Public transportation tickets were given by the hotel.

We left the brand new bag that we just bought from France...

We left the brand new bag that we just bought from France and some stuffs at the room when we went for sightseeing in the morning, although we did not checking out the room yet. Then, when we returned to the room, our stuffs were gone. However, the stuffs at the front deck helped us to find all of them back finally. But NOT in a good way. It looked like somebody took my new bag off from the bag. Moreover, my new bag looked very bad. I felt really disappointed!

Hotel is in the centre of the city.
    • Economy Double Room

Hotel is in the centre of the city.However you can get free ticket for all tram and bus from the reception.Its location is very nice to explore the city by walking

Short but Sweet
    • Economy Double Room

Great room as we were upgraded on arrival.

Very convenient location close to the train station and restaurants. Breakfast was excellent and the staff were very friendly. We enjoyed our stay and we would like to return for a longer stay next time.

Great position, near the train station and near to the Basel...
    • Economy Double Room

Great position, near the train station and near to the Basel airport bus. Very good breakfast. Very good connection to the main attractions in Basel.

Sparse with great location.
    • Economy Twin Room

The room was very small and had no drawers, one shelf and very limited space for hanging garments. I had 3 administrative errors requiring my attention: 1, although breakfast was included in my reservation, it required my attention to point out the charge on my bill and 2, the charge on my final invoice was greater than the reservation. Both were corrected as soon as I brought them to the attention of staff. 3, I reserved a 2-bedded room, but was assigned to a single, double bed. Once notified, I was offered a change. All pleasantly handled, but quite a coincidence.

Excellent location, a block from the railway station. Excellent, though small, shower. The breakfast was very good.

Great place near the central station.
    • Economy Double Room

Cleaning personal should do a deeper vacuuming.

The staff solved whatever problems we had (we were traveling with an extra large piece of luggage). The bed was very comfortable and the shower was magnanimous. Breakfast was not cheap but was not cheap at all ;-) (excellent quality, impeccable baristas!). Location was very good, direct transportation to the airport and to the rest of the city. Baselcard is the best invention ever! :-D

Excellent, centrally located hotel, value for money with friendly staff.

I have no complaints.

The staff were friendly and efficient. The room was clean and comfortable. The hotel provides a travel card for the duration of your stay: this is extremely useful. The maps provided (city plan and tram network) are very good. The hotel is very close to the main railway station.

Very good location, super friendly staff.
    • Economy Single Room

Very good location, super friendly staff. They upgraded my room and offered me a Basel card with free entrance to different places of interest + a free cocktail. Transportation to the airport was also free.

Rhe staff is friendly, the hotel is very close to the train...
    • Economy Single Room

It is a little difficult to locate when you arrive, as this is inside a more expensive hotel, and you see only a very small sign of City Inn hotel.

Rhe staff is friendly, the hotel is very close to the train station, it gives you a voucher for free public transportation, the room is very clean

Good option
    • Economy Single Room

Not easy to reach the reception since it is located in another building

Clean, quiet and close to.train and city center. I left very early and they had an early breakfast package which was very appreciated

A very enjoyable experience with helpful and cheerful staff at all levels.
    • Economy Double Room

A minor suggestion, a small mirror adjacent to the plugs by the desk would be useful when using curling tongs etc.

The location, the polite and efficient staff, excellent room and for Switzerland good value.

very good value for the money
    • Economy Single Room

small but very good room; comfortable bed; very good value for the money; free and strong WiFi; good TV; very good breakfast; friendly staff; great location; very clean

I needed an inexpensive room in a good location and this was perfect
    • Economy Single Room

I expected a cheap room and it was small, but it was exactly what I needed so I have no complaints and would happily stay there again. The location is perfect with the railway station, trams and airport bus all on your doorstep

Brilliantly located hotel, perfect for a short stay.
    • Economy Single Room

The vibrant green paint in the rooms was a bit unecessary.

The location of the hotel was fantastic - within 2mins walk of the main train station and trams right outside to connect to the rest of the city. The room was clean and had good modern facilities.

Good room in a handy location
    • Economy Single Room

It took me a minute to find where to check in at the other hotel entrance. I also had late checkout included as a genius member, and assumed that I did not need to use the Do Not Disturb sign as I had been told that checkout was at 12.00. But the cleaners (I assume) walked into my room, without knocking, while I was still in bed at 9.45.

Comfy, cosy and clean small room. Compact and good for solo traveller. Great location beside the Bahnhof and has very friendly and helpful staff.

Problem free, helpfull staff and great location.
    • Economy Double Room

Bathroom could be slightly bigger , if you are average height you had to squeeze but nothing too serious. Add a bigger sign on the road side !!

The staff was lovely and one of the most helpfull i ve encountered . Location was great, 10 minutes walk from old town and 1 minute from train station.

Good value, excellent stafff and perfect location
    • Economy Double Room

The room was quite far away from the entrance. And could have been an issue if we had larger suitcases but we didn’t so it’s fine this time.

The Hotel was a stones throw away from the main station. The main station is a 20 minute bus ride from the airport. The hotel also provided free transport on the bus and trams and also 50% of the museums and galleries. As I understand, this is standard and a part of the daily person tax and Basel = Swiss francs. However great perk. Loved the city. Clean, organised and I’ll be back. The staff were so friendly, polite, considerate and hospitable. Live piano music whilst we were there over the weekend. Also complimentary umbrellas to use when it rains. Tram is literally on the door step.

Very helpful and hospitable staff.
    • Economy Double Room

When you enter the hotel it's super-fancy, there's a live piano and people are having drinks, however, this is the entrance to a different hotel. When going to the actual hotel you have to walk through the back door, via the kitchen, and go all the way to the back. It gives you a 2nd class feeling. Breakfast seemed overpriced and you can get the same quality from the nearby supermarket.

Very helpful and hospitable staff. In addition, the location is perfect. When you jump off the bus from the airport it's a 3-minute walk. There's a supermarket available (also open on Sundays) in the train station and you can catch the tram to get in the city. You'll receive a Basel travelcard with which you can use the tram for free.

Great hotel, great location & great service
    • Economy Double Room

Room for 2 people was pretty small, but it was very clean and basically it has all you need.

Amazing breakfast buffet. Hotel location is also really good, right next to the train station Basel SBB, and in front of the Tram stations. You can easily catch a tram. Very friendly staff as well!

Good value-for-money, great location, perfect for a short stay
    • Economy Single Room

The entrance to the hotel is not easy to find as it seems to be within another hotel, the reception area and the stairs are not renovated and the elevator does not go all the way up to the upper floors. There were only very small windows in my room on the 5th floor.

Renovated room, very clean, good heating, friendly staff

The elevator can go up to 1st floor only.

There is not common equipment e.g. kettle in the room (but we can manage to borrow for reception)

The elevator can go up to 1st floor only. For the room in 2nd, 3rd floor has to use a stair which is not convenience if travel with heavy luggage.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Location was perfect, the room was comfortable and clean
    • Economy Twin Room

While the room was fine and clean, it's too expensive. Looking at the pictures of the hotel, you'd expect a big room and space. But that's not the case. Furthermore you need to walk through corridors, kitchen doors, other rooms etc until you reach an elevator and then some stairs as well.

Location was perfect, the room was comfortable and clean

Faultless
    • Economy Double Room

The staff were really friendly and efficient. The location is great. Close to the bus stop when arriving from the airport, right next to tram stops and, in any case, within easy walking distance of the town centre.

Location is very convenient if you travel by train it is...
    • Economy Single Room

If you stay on the higher floor you may need to carry your luggage up stair no elevator go through

Location is very convenient if you travel by train it is just 3 minutes walk to the basel sbb station. Tram is located right in front of the hotel. Starbuck super market are near by

Perfect !!

Nothing !!

Perfectly located, 30sec from the train station, 10sec from tram stops, 30sec from bus stop to the airport. The room was perfectly clean and newly refurbished. Small breakfast for 8chf ! ( you can take it back to your room)

It was ok.
    • Economy Single Room

The bathroom is really small and a bit dangerous with all ups and downs on the floor. The distance from the reception desk to the room is very weird, looks like you are welcomed in a very nice hotel but then all the corridors and stairs lead you to something somehow old and strange. The recepcionist in the morning was very nice!

The breakfast was limited, with little choice of hot food,...
    • Economy Twin Room

The breakfast was limited, with little choice of hot food, as kept on having to refill either the scrambled eggs or the bacon, there were no sausages or hash browns. The rolls were excellent

Nothing to mention!
    • Economy Double Room

The entrance have a very small name CITY INN hotel and its is shared by two hotel Euler and CityInn. I roam around twice to check the entrance. From inside its is very tricky having luggage and lift is until 1st floor. So i carry my luggage until 3 floor in small and tricky ally’s.

It was on an excellent location.

The location is great.
    • Economy Double Room

There is no wordrobe in the room although the room is very big. There is no room cleaning during 5 days stay, they have never changed the towels or cleaned the room. Breakfast choises could be improved.

The location is great.

It served the purpose.
    • Economy Single Room

It doesn't have an elevator that covers all the rooms (it reaches just the first floor).

It served the purpose. I needed one night bed, affordable, clean, 24/7 open reception -since my train arrived late. It is just next to the Basel SBB main train station, easily reachable.

Very good option for Basel
    • Economy Double Room

Very small room. No facilities to make tea or coffee. The breakfast is not included and too expensive 25 CHF.

Good location the room is clean and the staff is polite and helpful.

Nice place to stay on a couple days trip.
    • Economy Single Room

Can be a bit confusing trying to find your room at first. That's all!

Nice place to stay on a couple days trip. Very close to train station and staff was very friendly.

There was barely a window in the room.
    • Economy Single Room

There was barely a window in the room. One window of 2 sqft, at knee level. Wifi was terrible (upload speed 0.005 mbps, download 1 Mbps). It was so terrible, that I found it a better idea to instead use my mobile hotspot on global roaming. Otherwise emails would just not get sent. When I complained to the front desk, they sent a friendly but technically challenged bell-boy. The best advice he could provide was to reboot my computer, or use the Wifi in the lobby.

Great location and wonderful staff
    • Economy Double Room

Only downside was our room was a tad on the small side but not really an issue

Great location; super friendly and nice staff; came with a bus pass too!

Did the job and at a reasonable price .
    • Economy Single Room

The room I had was the smallest I have ever stopped in 17 years of business travel but hats off to Swiss engineering for fitting everything in such a small space (!) which was about 20 x10 foot .If your a big guy get a double room.!!

Close to the main station and trams , the City Hotel is attached to the Euler and you check in there.

Great location. Clean & friendly.
    • Economy Single Room

Great location. 2 minutes walk from railway station. Tram stop outside so easy access to all parts of the city. Room small but comfortable. Room had aircon, unusual for Switzerland. Room spotlessly clean.

bostin
    • Economy Single Room

Room v tiny, ok for 1 night. Long walk from reception to room, a maze in fact.

Fluffy duvet. Only ideal for 1 person. Room to train platform in 5 mins. Good for early departure. Beautiful lady plays the piano.

Practical and cosy
    • Economy Double Room

Entrance is not the same as address on the booking page map, that was a bit confusing for a tired traveller.

Location was perfect for a business trip; next to the station, yet quiet as the room faced an inner courtyard. If you are in good shape I recommend the top floor, downside is that you have to walk up two narrow staircases, benefit is a chance to fall asleep to the sound of rain smattering on the roof and skylight.

A good hotel in a good location, highly recommended
    • Economy Single Room

The staff were very helpful, polite and friendly. My room (541) was very large. The bathroom had two basins, a huge shower room and the whole bathroom was bigger than the bedroom. The view out of the window was of the adjacent office block, air-con units and fire escape but don't let that put you off as it shields the room from any street noise, even with the windows open.

Very good for the purpose of our visit.
    • Economy Single Room

We didn't like to having to pay extra for breakfast on top of the charge for staying at the hotel.

The very convenient location of the hotel for the purpose of our trip - close to tram routes and the main railway station as well as within walking distance of the old city.

Excellent location, easy access to public transportation, friendly and helpful staff.
    • Economy Double Room

The hotel is directly across from the tram station and across the street from the train station and the bus to the airport. Public transportation is easy and could not be more convenient.

Great!
    • Economy Single Room

I had attic room with no elevator.For me it us no problem but it should be clearly indicated so people with lower mobility now.

Great location at the SBB train station.Walking distance to centre.Staff super friendly and helpful. Great WiFi.

Close to amenities
    • Economy Single Room

Carpet in the room is very tired and stained. Quite expensive for what it is.

Helpful friendly staff. Nice room. Booked single but "upgraded" to double. Right next to train station and close walk to town.

Highly recommended budget hotel opposite the SBB station in Basle.
    • Economy Double Room

A few pictures in the room would be nice. It felt a little bit clinical and hospital like. Pillows too soft.

Proximity to train station but yet very quiet. Large, clean room Very comfortable bed

Perfect service - an example to others
    • Economy Double Room

Not being a morning person, I did find annoying that some of the nearby guests were noisy getting out of their room in the morning.

The staff - extremely professional and very friendly. Here not only were we very well received we both had our rooms upgraded and late check out at no extra cost. It makes a total difference on the full experience. Certainly staying here again next time I come to Basel.

The location can not be better - just in front of the...
    • Economy Double Room

The location can not be better - just in front of the station and there is a park in front of the hotel. the staffs were friendly and helpful. fantastic room - clean and bright

Wonderful!!!
    • Economy Double Room

Everything was excelent and we had a wonderful time. The breakfast was great, the room was big and comfortable, all the staff was kind and very helpful. We love Basel! We love Swiss!

The location was extremely convenient for me, and I was very grateful for assistance re internet.
    • Economy Single Room

I didn't like being in a room that was right next to the lift and had other guests (sometimes speaking very loudly) passing by at all times of the day and night. I also would have appreciated having a mini fridge in the room.

The central location, once I was actually able to find the hotel! (It took me more than twenty minutes, wandering around the square to find the City Hotel. It would have been VERY helpful to know beforehand that City Hotel is not an actual building on its own but is part of another (very clearly identifiable) hotel.

Very professional and attentive staff.
    • Economy Double Room

Better verify the size of the selected room in the details.

Very professional and attentive staff. Solved efficiently issues I had with the room. Convenient location since the hotel is close to the train station, airport shuttle and main tram lines. The rooms are at the back of the Euler hotel so they are relatively quiet.

Great value for the money!
    • Economy Double Room

The size of the rooms was a bit on the small side. Under our room (518) were quite often people sitting and smoking making noise during the night and early morning.

The staff was very professional, they had everything thought out for people to enjoy their stay. The green design was very pleasing to the eye. They allowed early check in and it was perfect after an early morning flight. They also gave us a Mobility card and we had free public transportation for the duration of our stay.

We really enjoyed the location of the hotel, and even though we had problems, it was a nice hotel.
    • Deluxe Twin or King Room

We received a 5 AM wake up call by mistake. The air conditioner in our room was very noisy all night and finally quit working completely. We were moved to another room and given an upgraded room.

Breakfast was very good. The young lady at the reception desk was very friendly and helpful.

Recommended centrally- located hotel. Would definitely stay here again
    • Economy Double Room

Tea/coffee making facilities in the room would've been a nice touch. The TV reception didn't work well, but this wasn't important to us.

Comfortable, big bed with nice temp control, staff were super friendly and helpful, room was very quiet and the mobility ticket was excellent for all our transportation in the city including to the airport (bus just round the corner), powerful shower. The relatively cheap quick breakfast was very handy- in luxurious surroundings, watching Basel go by.

Fantastic hotel all round
    • Economy Single Room

Fantastic location just seconds from the main station and airport bus stop and only a 15min walk to the old town. Quiet at night especially if your room faces the terrace at the back. Helpful and friendly staff. Clean, modern and I'd definitely stay here again.

Good for the purpose of getting an early monring flight from Basel
    • Economy Double Room

The room was very small and under the roof. I would not have minded that. However, we had to go up two floors without elevator and with our luggage. This was not comfortable at all!

The staff was very friendly and helpful, the locaction exactly as we needed it for our early morning flight. The room was clean, nicely furnished and contained everything we needed. The in-house restaurant "Casper" was very good although on the expensive side.

First three night stay good but return were offered pokey attic room unsafe from fire
    • Economy Double Room

Breakfast was SO expensive at 25 Swiss francs in the Euler - the only option. No cupboards or drawers for smalls.

Staff were excellent and it was very clean, location perfect and free access to and fro airport very useful

Very spacious room
    • Economy Double Room

A/C unit very noisy and the room became too warm without it. Bed very firm. Room and terrace only looked into an internal courtyard - but we booked a cheap room so didn't expect any views.

Huge room with equally huge bathroom and large enclosed terrace. Excellent location right across the road from the SBB station and a major tram intersection. Free travel pass for Basel. Very friendly, helpful staff. Nice toiletries supplied which we didn't expect in a budget room.

Best location and friendly staff
    • Economy Double Room

I must say overall we are pleased with this hotel however, the bed is very soft and the pillows are very very flat, which makes them very uncomfortable to sleep with. There is an A/C unit in the room but very loud and not produce much of the cool air, lucky it wasn't a hot night otherwise we will probably be sleeping in our sweat. Both of us didn't sleep much due to the loud A/C and uncomfortable bed. TV has sound problem, we had to turn the volume till 100 but still barely able to hear it.

We were upgraded into a bigger room, staff were nice and friendly with all smiles on. Location is the best you can get in Basel if you want it close to the train station, easy go get to airport too. The hotel also provide free transport pass during your stay, and a three days free public wifi which is a bonus. Room is basic but clean, shower room is very large.

Great!
    • Economy Double Room

The stuuf is very hellpful and nice. Every question or need they tried and helped to find the solution. Exelent place near train station in Basel . We would come back!

Convenient and practical place to sty in Basel.
    • Economy Single Room

No lift all the way up to my floor. Leaving in the middle of the night I had to carry a heavy bag down two floors and I am an older person.

The room was just fine, WC very clean. Close to the main station, close to public transport.

Very comfortable

Everything was good.

Good spot, close to old town, lots of restaurants and cafes and shopping within walking distance. Room was big, very comfortable, great bathroom, great facilities. Right on the team stop.

Excellent location, next to railroad station and tram...
    • Economy Double Room

Lighting was weak. Facecloths were needed. Route to room was long. Elevator was small, could hold one person with roll-on luggage.

Excellent location, next to railroad station and tram terminal. Front desk most helpful. They upgraded our room which was most generous and appreciated.

Good business hotel, fantastic breakfast
    • Economy Single Room

Airco was loud, the bathroom was not super clean, rather small. There was a door-stop middle of the floor and I kicked it several times. Quite painful, I can assure you. There was no way to avoid it, especially in dark. There was no cupboard in the room. The way to my room was quite complicated, I wonder how it will be during fire alarm?

Location close to the station, Fantastic breakfast, nice staff. Airco.

Browse Hotel City Inn traveller photo gallery