Reviews of GAIA Hotel 4 stars

Centralbahnstrasse 13, 4002 Basel, Switzerland

#6 of 56 hotels in Basel

You don’t need exercise equipment when staying in a two-story room

Comfortable bed, good linens, very good breakfast and friendly and helpful staff.

Good hotel overall, but... Without even asking us if we could handle it, we were given a room with a bedroom and bathroom on the second floor. The climb was steep, every time we forgot something on the first floor living room. It was absolutely not possible to get our luggage up to the second floor. That and the absense of washcloths turned us off to this property. We know we could’ve asked for washcloths, but when we discovered that they weren’t there, it was too late to get them.

This hotel is situated opposite the Central Railway Station...
    • Comfort Double Room

This hotel is situated opposite the Central Railway Station and near a tram hub so travelling around was easy. A transport pass is included as is breakfast. This is our second stay at this hotel and we will stay there again. A nice gesture on departure was a bag containing a bottle of water each plus a snack each for our journey. Staff is excellent.

Great Hotel!
    • Comfort Double Room

Thought the breakfast selection could have been better but that's just my opinion.

Great hotel with friendly, helpful staff. Lovely clean, comfortable room with plenty of amenities. Hotel was across the road from the main train station, round the corner from a tram station, and within walking distance to the centre/river. There was a supermarket next door and another at the station. I can recommend this hotel.

The Gaia was delightful, I would stay there again!
    • Comfort Double Room

I was only in Basel for about 30 hours and everything was delightful.

I enjoyed the location of the hotel, it is close to everything. I particularly liked the beautiful dining room, lots of originality but, but nice updated touches. The breakfast and coffee were very good and the staff were attentive.I

Basel layover
    • Comfort Double Room

Beautiful, clean room and bathroom. Best breakfast in town in the mist stunning room. Even got a small travel bag with 2 waters and snack bars!

excellent location and well run hotel
    • Comfort Double Room

There was nothing to dislike, other than perhaps the extra charges for cooked to order items at breakfast

The staff were extremely helpful and welcoming. The breakfast was excellent with a good range of choices, however, there was an extra charge for omelettes. The location is perfect and was situated a few steps from the main rail station. The room was comfortable and very clean.

I will be back

Décoration is a updated. My room was not 20m2 as promised in the booking

Confortable bed. Breakfast was really good for Swiss standards. Great location. Luca in the breakfast service is super profesional and friendly. We'll done!

Very good quality hotel almost adjacent to the main railway...
    • Economy Single Room

Very good quality hotel almost adjacent to the main railway station and airport bus terminus. Helpful staff. Good quality buffet breakfast, enhanced by the magnificent dining room.

The breakfast menu, spacious room, friendly and helpful...
    • Comfort Double Room

The breakfast menu, spacious room, friendly and helpful staff, the strategic location of the hotel in front of the train station and at the heart of the Basel. The Basel Card is wonderful with many benefits catered for tourists. People is Basel are really helpful, kind and thoughtful.

Will recommend to friends if they ever travel to Basel.
    • Comfort Double Room

Prefer the bed to be a bit firmer.

Location is close transportation which made it very easy to get around. Location is also very close to many restaurants.

The location was perfect. We had a swiss rail pass and this hotel was only steps from the train station. The staff was excellent - very helpful and accommodating. The experience was great!

Perfect!
    • Comfort Double Room

Staff exceptionally friendly and helpful Organic high quality breakfast in beautiful wood panelled dining room Location opposite station and airport bus stop, easy walk to old town, close to zoo Little extra touches including free mini bar Electric Shutters

For 20 years, my visits to Basel have always included enthusiatic anticipation about staying here.
    • Comfort Double Room

The direct, hands on involvement of the owners, elevates this hotel to a much higher level than others in every way. The efficiency of the front desk is what I count on to facilitate my many visits to Basel. The super clean rooms with the latest design sparklingly clean fixtures in the bathroom, accessed by hallways with art nouveau and deco artwork, as well as displays of the owner's favourite collections, give one an insight into the pride of ownership of this property. At breakfast one is greeted so nicely by the staff, and offered a broad palette of exceptionally high quality foods. One could easily spend the entire morning here. Another considerate offering, is the mobility pass that is made available at no charge for access to public transportation.

Accommodation was much better than anticipated and gave us...
    • One-Bedroom Apartment (2 Adults)

All good

Accommodation was much better than anticipated and gave us the opportunity to self cater in the evening. superb location, easy walk into historic Basel, lots of restaurants and food shops nearby and wonderful for access to rail station.

Close to Basel SBB...friendly staff!
    • Comfort Double Room

Only minus, if I can call it a minus, the standard rooms are equipped with bathrooms that are very tight and compact, but for European standards, it's fine. Coming from USA, we are used to bigger bathrooms. The "gorgeous rooms" are more expensive, but the size of the bathroom is more comparable to standard sized hotel room bathrooms in USA...just something to consider for fellow US visitors.

I had taken an evening flight from JFK International Airport in New York to Zurich that departed at 6:08 p.m. Sunday, 2/18. I arrived in Zurich approximately 8:30 a.m. Monday, 2/19. I took a train to Basel from Zurich and arrived at Basel train station around 10:35 a.m. I walked across the street to arrive at GAIA hotel. I was met by Patrick and he confirmed my reservation. He showed empathy towards my long journey that I had just undertaken, checked and confirmed there was a room ready for me and made the check-in process very fast and efficient! I also mentioned to him that I had a little snag when making the reservation and double-booked, with a non-refundable paid up-front rate. I was charged on both reservations immediately and he said he would look into it for me. He was able to refund me for the second reservation I had made and had informed me of this on my second visit to the front desk (the next day). Friedrich at the front desk had also assisted me on a couple of occasions and was very helpful with recommendations during my stay in Basel! The staff in the breakfast area was also very pleasant and attentive! This was my second stay at this hotel and I would gladly stay here again!!

Perfect!
    • Economy Single Room

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay! The staff were very warm and welcoming. The room was perfect, and I was offered a bunch of free add ons. The location was great, right in front of Basel SBB. I had a wonderful stay!

Enjoyed our stay so much we've already booked for another weekend!
    • Comfort Double Room

Could have used a late checkout on the Sunday, but to be fair we didn't ask until Saturday evening.

Location is ideal for getting around Basel, very close to railway station (though no noise problems), tram stops and bus stop from the airport. No complaints about the room, though in hindsight should have asked for extra pillows!

The ultimate praise, would stay there again!
    • Comfort Double Room

The temperature control in the bedroom.

The warm welcome at the hotel. The free soft drinks and snacks. The helpful advice offered when asked for. The Basel card for free travel and half price at galleries and museums. The location right by the train station and the trimmed and buses. The quiet room.

convenient place in the middle of the everything!
    • Economy Single Room

The bathroom is tiny and If you are on the bigger side, It may be hard to turn around.

Location is convenient, just across the Basel SBB. Rooms are small, just enough If you are looking for a place to sleep. The facility is spotlessly clean. Breakfast is good.

Disappointing in view of the very high rating on Booking.com

The location (next door to a McDonald’s) with a taxi rank outside preventing even unloading of the car. Utterly charmless.

Staff were pleasant and efficient

Once again....amazing
    • Comfort Double Room

Cannot think of anything.

In this hotel I feel at home because of its wonderful staff. Everyone contributes to creating an environment of true care for the guest. It is an awesome feeling.

Excellent stay, cozy room and superb services.

More choices for breakfast

1. Free refill for the in-room fridge 2. We had to leave at 4 AM, they packed cappuccino and croissants for us 3. strategic location, few steps from Basel SBB and trams

The breakfast was completely organic, what a pleasure to be able to relax and try all choices. The room was very cosy and quiet, we greatly enjoyed our stay. The staff were very welcoming and friendly. We were happily surprised by the complementary travel cards for our stay, it made exploring easy. On checking out we were offered water and a snack, perfect!

Basel Night
    • Economy Single Room

The receptionist, she was really cocky and pretentious. The minibar had only liquids. The water boiler in the room takes too much time to heat the water.

The entrance, the position and the breakfast.

No flexibility and no understanding at all
    • Comfort Double Room

Had to shorten my stay for one day on short notice. Staff was blaiming Booking.com for not being able to do it. Contacted Booking.com and proffesional staff assured they have nothing to do with it, they even contacted hotel to arrange situation. Nevertheless, hotel insisted so they charged me 2 nights for one night stay. Hope they are happy now, but I will never be back, neither anyone from our company.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Excellent Stay
    • Comfort Double Room

1. The staff at the hotel reception were friendly and professional. My family were pleasantly surprised that we are able to check-in to the rooms before check-in time (the rooms were ready then) 2. The staff serving the breakfast at the cafe were attentive , offering a second cup of coffee when we have finished ours. 3. Rooms were very clean and provided all that we need. We were also delighted that , besides drinking water, juices,beer, Basler Läckerli (traditional hard spice biscuit) and a cereal bar were complimentary in the room. 4. Location was very near the train station and a supermarket was only a few steps away. Very Happy with the stay !

The breakfast (many bio products) and the breakfast room...
    • Economy Single Room

The breakfast (many bio products) and the breakfast room (historical building). Friendly staff. Next to the central station and the Bank for international settlements.

Excellent without exception
    • Comfort Double Room

The Giai hotel is probably the best hotel we have stayed at worldwide without question. The cleanest rooms the nicest staff good breakfast and excellent location

Loved everything about it, very friendly helpful staff,...
    • Comfort Double Room

The cooked breakfast wasn't great but everything else was.

Loved everything about it, very friendly helpful staff, spotlessly clean and great location. Would highly recommend.

Excellent location next to the train station
    • Economy Single Room

My room was in the first floor and the windows are a bit thin, which brought some noise inside. The good thing is that there's not much traffic on the back road.

Excellent hotel and great location just next to the train station. The bus stop for the airport bus is max two (2) minutes walk away. Very clean rooms and very friendly staff. Nice breakfast with good coffee and a lots of variety.

Swiss Precision
    • Comfort Double Room

We have stayed here for a number of years when it was St Gotthard so we wouldn't return if we didn't like it, would we?

The staff were extremely welcoming; the breakfast was excellent; and Roger won!

One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in.
    • Comfort Double Room

Everything down to the last detail was high quality. The breakfast was magnificent! The wait staff was so friendly and attentive. This place is a one of a kind.

Too short but very comfortable
    • Comfort Double Room

Property is located close to the train station and other public transport . Staff are friendly and polite offering excellent suggestions as to where to go to see the city ,also restaurants. The hotel offered a free minibar in the room and free public transport tickets for the duration of your stay. Breakfast was also excellent with a good variety . On checkout the desk staff gave us water and some snacks to keep us going.

we had a great time

We wish the original architecture and decor of the breakfast room could have been kept throughout the hotel. The modernization was not in keeping with the beauty of the exterior and the breakfast area, we believe.

The breakfast room was beautiful. The apartment was spacious and well equipped. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Enjoyed our stay and would recommend.
    • Comfort Double Room

Bathroom was small but to be expected because of restraints in an old building.

Hotel is very well presented and close to train station but still quiet. Breakfast very good.

Great location, great facility in Basel
    • Comfort Double Room

Basel is expensive, the hotel is not cheap but it does provide excellent value for the money.

A great place that was located near all major trams and the train station. They (like all Basel hotels) include a travel card for public transportation that make getting around town a snap. Hotel is unpretentious, staffed by knowledgeable people. I would return.

Very convenient for the train station and bus terminus. Short ride to the old town.
    • Comfort Double Room

A ventilation noise in the bathroom disturbed us at night. Maintenance are on the case.

Friendly and willing service. Lots of English tv channels in bedroom.

Enjoyed my stay. But a teeny but disappointed with the croissants, which used to be excellent.

Standard of croissants at breakfast has dropped from a year ago. The croissants are no longer as fresh and crispy.

Love the breakfast and the modern furnishings.

THIS is the place to stay!
    • Comfort Double Room

BEAUTIFUL breakfast room and good value for the money!

So convenient to the train station and the hotel is really lovely. Alessia at the front desk was incredibly helpful and kind!

Welcoming Hotel. Fabulous Breakfast.

Nothing not to like.

Convenient location to train station. Friendly & helpful staff. Large, comfortable room with nice personal touches. Beautiful restaurant serving fresh organic food (locally sourced) with lots of choice (including vegetarian, vegan & gluten free options). Free mobility pass.

Perfect location and a lovely place.

The room was a strange configuration with a living room on one level and some iffy stairs leading up to the bedroom and bathroom.

Perfect location and a lovely place.

All around Wonderful
    • Comfort Double Room

Can't thinjk of anything!

Loved the location, great staff, the wonderful breakfast, the little chocolates in the lobby, the Leckerli on the beds, and most of all: THE FREE MINI BAR IN THE ROOM, Wow!

A very beautiful experience
    • Economy Single Room

Evrything at this hotel was just fine. Great organic breakfast, beautiful room, Basel Card bonus, very good internet connection, very friendly personal, very good a/c. Next time in Basel, I want to stay here, absolutely.

Nice clean accomodations with friendly and helpful front desk staff.
    • Comfort Double Room

The front desk staff were very helpful and friendly. The hotel also gave us a public transport pass where we could use the city tram system which had a stop just outside the hotel.

A brilliant accommodation experience

Absolutely nothing.

The entire experience at the Gaia from the welcome at reception to our room with aircon and opening windows, mini bar provided and an excellent breakfast. The architecture of the hotel and the interior design were beautiful . The location at the transport hub made travelling easy.

Perfect stay in Basel!

There was absolutely nothing to complain about.

We arrived before 10am and our room was ready. Got a Basel card with free rides on trams, buses and reduced price for museums, etc. Great location (opposite railway station), clean, very friendly staff, good sleeping comfort.

👍
    • Comfort Double Room

. Hotel has got perfect location. Easy to access from airport and very close to Tram lines junction. Very friendly staff. Clean comfortable rooms. Good breakfast

Great pick in Basel
    • Comfort Double Room

AC was being replaced, so not as comfortable as expected

Nicely appointed and spacious room, modern bath, excellent breakfast, across from train station and trams

Wonderful staff and location

Liked it all.

Right across from the train station and the tram stops but still quiet room. Very handy to get trams or train. And the hotel gives a mobility card for free travel on trams and buses. Attentive staff, great breakfast.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

Too short!
    • Comfort Double Room

Not a thing. Mind you we had been travelling for 38 hours by the time we arrived and had little time apart from to catch up on sleep and enjoy the fine breakfast before moving on to our next destination.

The breakfast was the best we experienced in over 3 weeks in Switzerland. Luca in the dining room is a great host. Ask him to tell you the joke about the planets meeting up. The hotel specialises in organic food and it shows. The scrambled eggs were real, not out of a packet.

A superb hotel right at the heart of everything
    • Economy Single Room

Amenities like glasses were not replenished daily (maybe forgotten by housekeeper)..other than that perfectly alright.

Friendly and helpful staff esp Patrick (i dont know if he's really a half-Fil 🤓), breakfast is nice though little choices (something ti improve),accessibility to trains to get u to conference site, shops, tourist spots, churches,etc)..one more thing drinks/refreshments were replenished every orher day (would have been better if it's daily)..highly recommendable!

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

The people.
    • Economy Single Room

This is the second time I was told there was something wrong with the air conditioning. To be in a hotel without AC is not a pleasant experience.

The people.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

A short stay on our way to Italy
    • Comfort Double Room

The Breakfasts were taken in a very smart and colourful restaurant We have stayed in this hotel before and can thoroughly recommend it The staff were very helpful and the overall ambience excellent We were given a pack containng Chocolates and water to use on our rail journey which was a thoughtful gesture We will definitely try to stay here again in this delightful city

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

Generally favorable visit.
    • Comfort Double Room

Security!!! There is no chain on door or peep hole to view person on the other side of the closed door. An employee barged in my room. I asked her what she wanted. She didn't speak English and just continued into my room. She was updating the TV and had to insert the flash drive in the TV. She rudely brushed by me as I was telling her to get out of the room. Guests at the hotel should be aware of these updates. If the employee doesn't speak English they should carry a card with them to explain why they need access to the room. As a widow and alone in the room the entire episode was very upsetting.

Size of room and bathroom

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

Great hotel with charm of decorations.

more variety for breakfast

Huge room for Europe standards, bed very comfortable, breakfast was good and the staff very helpful. Easy access to trains and trams from the hotel. Room card opens into a map of Basel city which is extraordinary and very useful.

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

Great 2 night stay
    • Economy Single Room

Room was tidy and clean and provided you everything you need for your stay. Minibar was included and hotel reception provided me ticket to the public transport during my stay. Reception was fast and willing to help you with everything. Breakfast - good quality food with different selection. I especially liked the several butter choices (Lactose free, bio and sheep). Very tasty food and welcoming staff. Thank you and definitely choosing your hotel again for my next stay.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

A hotel like home
    • Economy Single Room

Room rate during weekdays is kind of expensive.

Staffs are all awesome! Very professional and patiently taking care of every request we brought up. Hotel is located right across Basel SBB train station and tram station. Very convenient! Breakfast is really good.

Wonderful few days in this absolutely stunning hotel.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment (2 Adults)

There is nothing not to like about this hotel.

This hotel is stunning and in a perfect location. From the tasteful artwork throughout right down to the towels, everything is first class. A free travel pass for the buses and trams is also included, which is perfect if you want to explore the beautiful city of Basel. Highly recommended.

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

excellent value in central location
    • Economy Single Room

- the toilet did not flush as efficiently as it should (but not a serious issue)

- very central location close to train station and trams/busses - nevertheless quiet (we asked for quiet rooms) - clean modern rooms - very clean and modern bath (though a bit small) - free wifi - good breakfast (buffet was not huge but with quality products, quite some organic stuff) - very friendly and helpful staff - as in other hotels in Basle, you get a free ticket for public transport - handy products in the room like needle and thread and an umbrella --> we would stay there again

• Reviewed: 9 December 2016

When i checked out i was given a bottle of water and a snack...
    • Economy Single Room

The price was quite high, but i did book at the very last minute due to an airport closure. All Basel hotels were booking up very quickly.

When i checked out i was given a bottle of water and a snack for my train ride. Nice touch.

• Reviewed: 30 November 2016

Excellent choice!
    • Comfort Double Room

Room was beautiful; location was perfect - just across the street from train station. We were given free tickets to ride the City trams - very nice touch. Would stay here again!

• Reviewed: 30 November 2016

Staff are wonderful - thank you!
    • Economy Single Room

Staff go out of their way to make your stay comfortable. I had to stay an extra night as my flight was cancelled and they did everything they could to ease my stress!

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

Excellent location and amenities. Staff were superb! We will return.
    • Comfort Double Room

Staff were wonderful: helpfl and courteous. Excellent Engish. Breakfast was very nice, again with wonderful staff. The hotel has been modernized and was very up to date. The room was relatively large for a European hotel. Shower was lovely! Wi-fi worked well all over.

• Reviewed: 12 November 2016

Lovely hotel with friendly, warm staff
    • Economy Single Room

Lovely, friendly ambiance. Very helpful staff who went the extra mile to make guests feel welcome. For example, on checking out the receptionist packed a little bag for me with dark chocolates, an energy bar and bottle of water for my flight home. I also had the pleasure of meeting the owner's gorgeous dog that morning. The bed was so comfy and the little touches like the free snacks and mini-bar really add to the charm. Homely place to stay and handy location across from the train station too.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

A superb hotel, very close to station, trams and airport bus, only lacking an evening restaurant.
    • Comfort Double Room

No evening restaurant. A small fault in an otherwise outstanding hotel.

We loved the little touches like free minibar, nightly turn down service and small travel parcel at end of stay. Very friendly and helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

Super friendly staff, close to train station
    • Economy Single Room

The hotel is getting dated and the single room is very very small and does not correspond with the high price tag.

The staff in GAIA is always excellent, helpful and friendly. The location is great if you need to be next to the train station.

• Reviewed: 14 September 2016

Loved it!!

Loved all!

Could not fault this hotel. Location fantastic opposite the station. Staff so friendly especially the breakfast waiter. Felt like home and they are a family business, but the hotel looks high end. They take their business seriously. LOVED IT! Yes would return just to stay there.

• Reviewed: 3 September 2016

Good location near the station and not too far from centre...
    • Comfort Double Room

Good location near the station and not too far from centre of city; trams on hand. Very impressive breakfast room with very friendly and warm staff serving an excellent breakfast. Clean hotel and staff eager to please in this family owned hotel

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

Great location and excellent staff
    • Comfort Double Room

The noise from the street at night kept us awake, a room away from the street front may have been less noisy.

Staff really friendly and passionate about their hotel. Location for the trains and trams couldn't be better and it's a 15 min walk to the the main shopping strip.

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

Wonderful Hotel
    • Comfort Double Room

Lack of exercise facilities. It would be nice to have a simple gym downstairs instead of the meeting room.

Breakfast was superb. The croissants were among the best I've tasted - very flaky on the outside and soft on the inside. The scrambled eggs were delicious and of the right texture. There was a wide selection of breads, cheeses and meats. The hotel room was very comfortable with plenty of English language channels. The free of charge mini bar was a very pleasant surprise. Staff were very friendly and responsive.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

A great base in a great city!

From the welcome to check out, the hotel has clearly focussed on client comfort: the staff were attentive;the service was excellent;the facilities were attractive, clean and functioning; and there is nice art throughout.

• Reviewed: 13 August 2016

Lovely hotel with very helpful and friendly staff, located in a beautiful city
    • Comfort Double Room

Very nice hotel right next to the main train station in Basel. We had a lovely spacious and quiet room with great beds, a great rain shower and a mini bar incl. free organic refreshments. We also received a map and tickets for the outstanding public tram system. The breakfast buffet was delicious and varied (organic) and served in a beautiful old classic panelled room with sunlight shinning through lead windows. Staff were very helpful and friendly and made our short overnight stay in Basel very relaxing and enjoyable. We plan to come and visit for longer in the future as Basel looks like a beautiful city from the small bit we visited in our few hours we had. Also has to be the quietest main train station in a city I have ever been too. Lots of food and drink available in the neighbourhood and only a 15 min walk from the Rhine.

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

Can't recommend enough!
    • Comfort Double Room

Amazing breakfast, very friendly and accommodating staff, excellent location. The free mini bar was great; included local craft beer, organic cola, still and sparkling water, and nuts. Lots of lovely little touches that made the stay special.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

Staff were especially helpful.
    • Comfort Double Room

Staff were especially helpful. We had a minor problem with extra noisy air-conditioning system. We were immediately moved to a more suitable room without any difficulty.

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

Wow -great hotel with exceptional welcoming staff
    • Comfort Double Room

We totally loved this hotel and thought the whole experience there was excellent. Very impressed with the friendly and helpful staff/service -went out of their way to assist with us using the public transport, gave us bottles of water for our travel when we left the next day and the room was perfect.

Browse GAIA Hotel traveller photo gallery