Reviews of Steinenschanze Stadthotel 3 stars

Steinengraben 69, Vorstädte, 4051 Basel, Switzerland

#10 of 56 hotels in Basel

9.7

• Small Charming Room

Really really friendly and outgoing staff. The room was very stylish and modern with a fresh supply of water on tap along with free fruit, welcome drinks, snacks and tourist card.

• Small Charming Room

Location had problems. To access the Marktplatz for restaurants & buses etc. required a steep walk down hill on long flight of steps. For the older generation was very tiring on the return uphill! The restaurants inbetween mountaineering were very good. Would recommend the Latini for lovers of Italian food.

Very comfortable bed. Staff were great. Breakfast good. Nice modern hotel. A hotel to return to.

• Small Charming Room

Breakfast very expensive! Bring your own juice, etc. No minibar but their wine/ beer/snack service is very nice, and a good way to meet other guests. I would return but would love a softer bed...might be an age thing!

Room a bit small and the bed a bit hard...I don't like glass doors on a toilet area. Super clean, nice coffee maker. Great garden which would have been nice had it not rained so much. Nice happy hour rate for wine. Super close to the Old City for sightseeing. Staff was great!

• Large Double Room

Loved everything. Not one complaint!!

Customer services was fantastic!! They have a wonderful little garden in the back. Overall - one of the best hotel experiences I have ever had!!

• Small Charming Room

I did find the room a little on the small size but the design and layout made clever use of the available space and is fine for a short stay.

I received a warm welcome from reception, a cold welcome drink of my choice, which was refreshing after my travelling. The room was bright, clean with modern decor and features. Amazing shower and very comfortable bed. The garden is beautifully landscaped and this is where I ate my very tasty breakfast. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Small Charming Room

The rooms are really really small, it is well designed using the little space there is, but for a couple it is on the limited size. If one of us was above 190 tall or over sized it would not be fun.

Staff Shower - the best ever Location - access to parking lot from one side and to the city from the other Garden to relax in

• Large Double Room

The staff is incredibly pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was great. Location is a short 7-8 minute walk from town center with several very good restaurants. This establishment is highly recommended!!

• Standard Charming Room

I was there during Basel World and I was surprised by the room cost when I got the bill. I have a weekly rate when I booked but two nights were $500 which I thought was really excessive!

I was not expecting such a modern well run hotel. The staff were friendly and attentive and I liked the rater novel breakfast

Everything was fine.

Excellent location. One bus stop from the train station, walking distance from downtown. Great staff. Very comfortable apartment and facilities. Great price and good for leisure and business trips.

• Standard Charming Room

Comfortable and quiet room. Free drink in the evening and nespresso coffee in rooms. Free public transport and WiFi ticket. Discounts for museums.

• Small Charming Room

Several healthy and tasty options for breakfast, I liked the big and the small versions and you can choose last minute depending how hungry you are. Room had everything I needed and enough space to move around with big window. The staff is supper friendly and supportive, they help with luggage, with maps and transportation, with scanning an important document, and they offer a free drink every evening. Location is excellent, with convenient multi parking right outside, and several shops, restaurants, cafes, even cinemas in just 10min walking distance. Bus stop outside, tram stops within a few minutes walking. City center is very close. Overall a perfect experience for a business trip.

• Small Charming Room

The design of the hotel. The photos at booking.com overstate the standards of the room.

The staff, smiling and attentive. The location, walking distance from major attractions. The breakfast was impressive.

• Small Charming Room

Breakfast buffet was okay, everything you’d expect to find; would be nice to have specialty offerings - more fruit, nuts, waffles perhaps. On Sunday, try brunch at Kuuhl, nearby restaurant, excellent (25 CHF).

Staff was very helpful. Room and hotel were very clean. Quiet rooms. Fast WiFi. Convenient location to SBB train station and Old Town. Free welcome drink in the evening (wine, beer or espresso drink).

• Large Double Room

We visited this hotel for a football trip. The hotel room was big enough for 3 people and was perfectly located to walk 2 minutes and you were in the city centre. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a visit to basel. We walked from the main train station to the hotel which took about 10-15 mins maximum but there are buses or teams if needed. We didn’t eat at the hotel so I cannot Tate the food. Overall, happy with our choice.

• Small Charming Room

The coffee was average according to my husband but that is all we have to say!

The gentleman on reception welcomed us and couldn’t have been more helpful printing maps of tram lines to get to our ship the following day. The room was clean and bright and the nice touch that you could help yourself to a drink downstairs and then they ran an honesty policy for more. The boiling kettle and selection of teas and the breakfast was a large selection of bread pastries, yoghurts, meats, cheese and eggs cooked to order. The location was excellent and it was 15 Euros from the station but then an easy walk into the Old Town to the Christmas Markets and trams.

• Small Charming Room

Sometimes came unpleasant smell from shower cabine.

Exellent staff, very friendly and helpful. Gave a lot of good advises what to see in Basel and how to use public transportation. Very good location. Modest, but good balanced breakfast.

• Small Charming Room

I liked everything about my stay. I was given helpful directions prior to my trip through email. I liked having the city transportation pass which I did use during my weekend stay. All the staff were friendly and helpful. I was shown a larger room after I questioned what they looked like (for a possible visit for a friend and her partner). I was taken up to my room, had information explained to me about using the key, coffee maker, breakfast, shower, etc. I enjoyed sitting in the lounge in the evening enjoying a free drink. It was also nice on my last day to store my luggage until I needed to catch my train home. The shower is one of the best I have ever used!!!! I liked that there were plenty of English (American) channels on the TV. The coffee machine was great too. I even liked that there were tissues in the room.

• Charming Mini Suite

As per my rating there is absolutely nothing that could have improved this stay. Something that people should be aware of is that it is on the edge of the old town so while a lovely location it is up a number of steps up a hill. A nice walk (5-8 mins?) and not difficult for able bodied people but if elderly or impaired may be a challenge.

Everything was great with the hotel, but the quality of the staff really stood out. Everyone was super friendly and helpful with everything from storing bags, directions & recommendations etc but were really amazing when there was a problem with our booking which meant our room was unsuitable. I'm sure this error was either mine or booking.com's and not the fault of the hotel but they resolved it quickly, with no fuss giving us an extra room at no charge - which they really didn't have to do. Really above and beyond. Also great is the evening lounge. They run a bar on on honesty system (first drink complimentary) but it is a lovely spot with nice comfortable seating and pleasant to sit around and chat with other travellers. Great location, great amenities in room. Easy bus ride from airport and walk to hotel.

• Small Charming Room

No kettle for tea in the room! Big and uncomfort pillows.

Best location. Spacious single room. Very clean. Helpful staff. Execellent public transportation (one bus stop from Central train station) Get free ticket for all your stay. Esspresso machine. Walking distance from central old town and tram lines. Quite rooms (could not hear the trafic).

• Small Charming Room

The level of service and the friendliness of the staff made up for the added expense. There weren't any hot drinks making facilities in the room but tea and coffee was available in the breakfast room. The shower was exceptional, a great experience.

Being Switzerland it was expensive for someone coming from the UK.

• Small Charming Room

Only negative I could find is the walls are thin. You can hear the person in the next room using the bathroom, etc.

Great little hotel! Extremely friendly and very helpful staff. Very modern, comfortable and clean rooms. Also very close to the centre of city - leave hotel, take your first right, walk to end of street and down steps and you're there among the restaurants and shops. 3 min walk literally. Also a nice touch that guests get 1 free drink per day (beer, wine, fizz) + nibbles. And if you take more than one you just write your room number in the book. All in all I would happily stay here again. Expensive for a Brit like me but you expect that in Switzerland...!

• Small Charming Room

Our room was tiny but we knew that in ADVANCE. The location was perfect, the staff superfriendly and helpful. The breakfast was obviously European style and very plentiful and good.

• Standard Charming Room

Basic (e.g. no frigo-bar) and very small room. Got wake up call at 8:00am when not requested. Not sure about. Not sure about the quality-price relantionship.

Quiet but centrally located. Clean common areas and room.

• Charming Mini Suite

Our second stay, in a garden suite; very quiet on this side of the hotel. The staff are very friendly and helpful and the breakfast is excellent. One stop on the bus from the SBB station; the car park lift by the bus stop gives access through to Steinenvorstadt, which is very useful for those with knee problems!

• Small Charming Room

.... I mostly find something I dislike .... .... but not here ...

An excellent hotel, on an excellent place, with excellent clean and new rooms, including excellent service for an affordable price.

• Small Charming Room

If you're looking for a more quiet place not in the center of town then this is a great location. Short car ride to Grindelwald center. Even better - free train ride of 8 minutes. Station is 3 minute walk from the hotel.

• Standard Charming Room

We were in 404 and the noise from the ambulances was overwhelming on ourfirst night. A room in the back may be better.

The breakfast was wonderful — All my favourite foods were there. The room is attached to a beautifulgarden, too. Every day at 3:00, the hotel hosted a free drink time . There was wine and beer until 12. It was very nice and a chance to meet others. The included transit pass was great, too. We used it to go everywher, including out to our river cruise.

• Small Charming Room

The hotel is close to the city center and to the SBB. The room was very cosy, the breakfast was rich and delicious, and the staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Also, you can drink the water from the hotel and refill the bottle whenever you want.

• Small Charming Room

Air conditioning would have been great.... but besides that

The hotel exceeded my expectations in all areas. The room was clean, spacious and the bed was super comfy. The staff were professional, friendly and went above and beyond to ensure my stay was exceptional. Highly recommended and my new "home" in Basel.

• Small Charming Room

It was difficult to find following a map

Great staff. We were given mobility tickets (public transport pass) for the duration of our stay. Cool looking place. Comfortable beds.

• Standard Charming Room

Close to attractions. Staff warm and welcoming, the welcome drink in the charming garden was a pleasant way to begin our stay and the bottled water on departure on a very hot day was very much appreciated. The hotel was easily accessible with public transport to the main German and Swiss train stations and the other means of transportation. Public transport in Basel is free to tourists staying at hotels in the city, a real bonus compared to the cost of other things in Switzerland.

• Large Double Room

One of the main reasons we chose this hotel was that it advertised air conditioning. Unfortunately, we had a great deal of trouble with it. For one, our ac was shut off in the middle of the night. I woke up & called the front desk & was told that it can only be on for 180 minutes at a time. Ugh. Too hot. When I asked the front desk about it the next morning, I was told that the controls were probably messed up by a previous guest. Not sure what the truth is. We only stayed one night so I don't know what would have happened if we stayed for a second night.

Staff was super friendly & helpful. Our breakfast was included - and was terrific!!! If you can get breakfast here, it is worth it. We ate in the beautiful backyard garden. Room was simply, tastefully, furnished & very clean.

• Standard Charming Room

Actually not much. Dogs are not allowed in the garden, which was a bit of a surprise. We are used to it in the hotel, but not outside. Parking is a public garage, but very close by.

Surprisingly nice and central location, gorgeous garden. Very nice breakfast with plenty of choice. Very helpful and knowledgeable staff, very friendly and welcoming atmosphere. The room was comfortable and modern, everything was clean. Hotel is in walking distance from Basel center.

• Small Charming Room

The location was very close to the centre of Basel. The staff were truly excellent and very helpful. Along with the free welcoming drink and public transport pass, an excellent stay.

Personal is exceptionaly friendly, informative and helpfull. Healthy breackfast, on lovely terras. Nice modern rooms (super shower, blindings, ...) It all realy made a differance.

• Small Charming Room

Make sure your room has AC when booking.

The staff went out of their way to please us. Beautiful outdoor garden and a complimentary welcome drink in the evening. Reasonable price for Switzerland.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

• Small Charming Room

The small charming room we ordered was , in my opinion , too small for 2 people. It was no way to find a place where to put our luggages. An air condition in the rooms would be great ,because it was very warm outside and it was impossible to sleep over the night. The receptionist ( Sven - a great guy ) gave us a ventilator for cooling a little bit down.

Very friendly staff and helpful , great location , by walk 2 min from the Old Town. Wonderful breakfast in the morning and great parking just at a location across the street. Wonderful bathroom and facilities in the room. Very modern rooms.

• Small Charming Room

Could not find fault with anything

Hotel was 5 minute walk to Old district, breakfast was great, hotel gives a free drink each day to guests in their garden area, we received free passes to use trams for our thee days . And staff even gave my wife a birthday gift when they found out it was her birthday !!

• Standard Charming Room

Nothing. It was all great.

Modern stylish rooms, a stunning garden and the most helpful, delightful staff in any hotel I have ever stayed in. Nothing was too much trouble. Super comfortable beds too!

• Small Charming Room

The staffs are extremely friendly there. The room is fashionably and conveniently renovated. I really enjoyed the facilities there. Everyday, the hotel offers one free drink, which provides a perfect environment to relax. The breakfast is also very tasty. Overall, a very satisfactory stay.

The coffee, it's too weak, maybe having two offers and giving the customer the option to choose would be awesome.

The breakfast was just what i was needed and the staff were really very nice.

• Small Charming Room

We mostly traveled by uber to meet our friends in the city, and apparently the hotel was really hard to find. This is not the hotel's fault in any way. But if u are traveling by uber I suggest u use the actual street address.

Close to the city shopping, and food, and local monuments. Very friendly and welcoming staff. They were very helpful when we had questions. Free water in the hotel so during our stay we didn't have to worry about that. They had complementary coffee in the lobby and they stored our baggage after we checked out because our flight flew out at a later time.

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

• Small Charming Room

When we arrived Sven on reception told us everything we needed to know and even suggested what to do when the weather wasn't so good. There's a lovely garden to sit in and the free drink was a bonus as was the coffee in the room. Overall we felt the staff made us feel really welcome. Although the room is small there's a place for everything..... and the shower was just fabulous.

• Large Double Room

Nothing - it was perfect for us.

Central location in Basel yet very quiet at night. Extremely clean room, towels changed every day. Lots of British channels on the TV.

• Large Double Room

Staff were super friendly and attentive to all the questions we had and help we needed. Location is very convenient for walking to the main train station as well as downtown area. Meanwhile it's facing a large, yet quiet street and has a nice backyard/garden for breakfast.

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

• Small Charming Room

Very expensive for a tiny room and breakfast not included in overall price. Coming from the euro to the swiss franc is a problem for individuals like us who are not on a paid business trip.

The staff were wonderful in every way!

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

• Large Double Room

You should advertise more, so that more people come to visit your hotel. :-)

Breakfast was extraordinary! For everyones taste! Service in hotel is on a high level. People working in hotel are warm and kind with high level of respect to every guest.

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

• Small Charming Room

Have to walk a (very) little to get to the hotel, if you come by tram, but not much else.

Close to center, quiet, comfortable, good value for money. Simple but effective : offering a bottle of water when leaving the hotel is very nice! :)

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

• Small Charming Room

If we knew what bus to have taken from the train station and what stop to have gotten off at, we could have avoided an expensive cab ride.

The staff was super helpful and the location was perfect and within walking distance of shops and restaurants.

• Large Double Room

Breakfast just very expensive.

Welcome drink on the house, nice seating area and very relaxed atmosphere in the hotel. You can grab your own drinks, staff is very friendly and rooms clean and very nicely styled. Would definitely stay here again when visiting Basel next time. Parking garage is across the street, very convenient.

• Reviewed: 21 January 2017

• Small Charming Room

Great place to stay, very close to the city center. Comfortable room, clean and quiet. Nice idea with welcome drink :) Ladies in the Reception very kind and pro-active to help! Very positive experience!

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

• Small Charming Room

Nothing could have been better at all - it was perfect in every way

Starting with a wonderful welcome at reception the experience just got better & better. The attention to detail was impeccable, lovely touches

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

• Standard Charming Room

Our room was clean and comfy. There was a good selection at the breakfast buffet. The staff were very helpful. The complimentary drinks and pastries in the lounge in the afternoon/evening were a lovely touch. Excellent location within easy walking distance of all the city centre sites. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

• Small Charming Room

The hotel is located in the center of the city. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was very nice and quiet. I totally recommend this hotel! They greeted us with a welcome drink.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

• Small Charming Room

Wifi wasn't very fast but still okay.

Super friendly staff. Good breakfast. Loved the welcome drink and nibbles!! Clean and comfortable. Garden facing room was quiet at night even with the windows open.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

• Charming Mini Suite

Wifi access could be simpler. Room brochure said there were UK Tv channels, but we could not find them.

Comfortable bed. Separate space for our daughter. Lovely welcome drink. Great coffee.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

• Standard Charming Room

An In house restaurant would be an advantage for dinner - cold or rainy weather not a good time to be chasing a dining venue. Very cramped bathroom.

Staff help excellent. Facilities great especially afternoon welcome drink after :3 pm.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

• Standard Charming Room

The staff were exceptionally helpful with suggestions, directions and printing boarding passes. The location is within easy walking distance to the Marketplatz and very close to a major tram station.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

• Small Charming Room

The staff is fabulous, so kind and helpful. Location is fantastic, I received also free pass for public transport. Rooms are bit small but stunning after complete renovation this summer. There is coffee, tea, pastries available at all times in the bfast room, free of charge. I wish i could have stayed longer but I'm sure coming back! The facilities and service is way above 3* Hotel!

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

• Standard Charming Room

As you would expect from a well run Swiss hotel, the property is immaculate and the staff extraordinarily well trained and helpful. Beautiful outdoor courtyard, excellent breakfast, and wine, beer and snacks provided each evening. But there is one more characteristic that sets this hotel apart from all others, it has a social mission with profits going to support local charities. This is a combination that can't be beat.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

Nothing!!

The staff was amazing!!! I had some major travel issues (4 flight changes, 2 airline changes, lost luggage, etc.) for a quick work trip (less than 48 hours). I didn't get everyone's names, but Eva and the other lovely front desk lady were there when I arrived on 10/3 and when I left 10/4 for my meeting. They assisted me with trying to find my luggage which I finally received on 10/4 after my meeting, but before I was departing on 10/5 at 6:30am :). I worked in hospitality for a 1,000+ room Marriott property in the us so I understand the demands from patrons. Smaller properties must deliver impeccable service from start to finish and everything in between. They did just that and delivered service beyond excellent! Thank you for making everything that went wrong with my travels seem less stressful with your warm welcoming into Basel!!

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

nothing.

Great value for money! the facility is clean, friendly and helpful staff, perfect location, amazing garden. there is very nice breakfast in the morning and some light snack and drinks during the day. They prepared us a fresh breakfast to go as we had an early flight. I would definitely go back there again!

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

• Standard Charming Room

Description on the web site of how to walk to the hotel from the station could be better. Check it out on Google maps before setting off. Or take no.30 bus.

Super hotel in a great position to explore Alt Basel. A 10 minute walk or 3 minute bus ride from the railway station. The hotel has been recently re-furbished to a high standard. Breakfast was good and there are welcome drinks and pastries in the afternoon. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay there again.

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

Loved the hotel

The staff - from kitchen to desk -- are multilingual, attentive and charming. The breakfasts are wonderful, the rooms clean, the eiderdowns/cotton covers immaculate, and queen bed very comfy. The late afternoon free wine/beer etc with ample nibbles in the are an added touch of "friendliness". Location nr Barfusseplatz is perfect.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2016

• Standard Charming Room

Wardrobe small, not enough drawers in room.

Very conveniently located to town centre and transport links to train station; drinks and snacks provided by the hotel in the afternoon- a lovely gesture; helpful, friendly and attentive staff; amazing shower. Lovely garden which is perfect for relaxing in after a day spent sightseeing.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

• Large Double Room

I am not used to just the comforter and duvet. But that seemed to be the norm in Europe. So... it is what it is.

I am not used to being pampered. The taxi pulled the suitcases out, the staff from the hotel was out there collecting them and getting them to our rooms before we got there. We got to check in slightly early-not a problem. Free beverages in the late afternoon out in the back which is gorgeous for being in the city. We even got free use of the public transportation. Awesome!

• Reviewed: 27 June 2016

• Standard Charming Room

The location was excellent, being very close to the old town as well as a main tram stop and a bus stop. The room was very nice and the included breakfast was excellent, especially when the weather was nice enough to eat out in the garden patio. The friendly staff made this a perfect place to stay.

• Reviewed: 26 June 2016

• Standard Charming Room

Nothing at all. My stay over this summer holiday was the best and even topped Hilton Munich Park and Ameron Flora Hotel Lucerne.

The service and the staff (Sven, Annette, etc) who were most pleasant and accommodating. Things are always done with a bright cheerful smile and utmost pleasantness. Breakfast was sumptuous as well. The free drinks (including beer and white & red wine) from 3pm to 12am was a great added touch. Having the free drinks in the garden behind also made our day.

• Reviewed: 21 June 2016

• Standard Charming Room

I'm not used going to Swiss hotels but I thought MAYBE the price was a bit expensive. We had a really great stay though, so at the end it doesn't matter but I really don't know if prices were normal ones for that kind of place or not.

Receptionists were really helpful and nice. It was pouring and they gently proposed to give us umbrellas. The room was clean and pretty - the only thing is that our bathroom was small : not a problem for us but you can't really stay more than one person inside. The location is perfect : just around the corner is a market place with shops, restaurants and bars (wich you won't hear at all since it's on the other side of the building) and it takes something like fifteen minutes to walk to the railway station. We had a great stay there.

• Reviewed: 21 June 2016

• Standard Charming Room

The room (and the bathroom) was a bit small and the view was not nice: overlooking a big road (although not noisy at all)

Very welcoming and well prepared staff. Hotel location: 2 minutes walking from the city center and 1 bus stop from the central station. Very clean rooms.

• Standard Charming Room

Fantastic service, beautiful garden, and delicious breakfast.

• Large Double Room

Amazing staff and breakfast! We got way more than expected for the price we paid.

• Small Charming Room

Maybe they shouldve served scramble eggs with breakfast.

The staff was GREAT!! Location was good, no problems with the room. Just great!!

Some traffic noise

Nice property good location

• Standard Charming Room

Good value for money, great location, child friendly, generous breakfast and most importantly a great team!