Reviews of Genève Cottage 3 stars

190 Route de Suisse, 1290 Versoix, Switzerland

#2 of 3 hotels in Versoix

• Executive Double Room

Breakfast very ordinary and no hot foods replaced once they’d run out. Upstairs loft room was very hot and there was no fan or air conditioning. Room wasn’t cleaned or made up during our stay. No milk for tea/coffee making facilities. A very expensive accommodation for the location compared to other 3 star hotels that were closer to Geneva. Disappointed.

Rooms were clean, friendly staff.

• Business Double Room

No aircon and I if I opened the window it was on the roadside so was noisy. No dinner options, however you can walk to versoix where there are a number of resturants

Very friendly and attentive staff. They opened breakfast early so I could eat before leaving early. Breakfast was great with fresh egg,s bacon, crepes, cheese, ham, breads, cakes, cereals etc. Comfortable bed and room was big

• Suite

We had trouble finding the cottage we should have gone past the Versoix Station and got off at the next station

Very comfortable and a good size we were travelling with friends and stayed only for the one night

• Executive Double Room

It was absurdly overpriced. The wifi was very weak in the room. The rooms are OK but it's a Bed-and-Breakfast, not any kind of hotel.

The staff were very nice. The breakfast was fine.

• Business Single Room

I CONGRATULATE YOU FOR THE VERY COMFORTABLE MATTRESS AND EXTREMELY SOFT PILLOWS. I VERY MUCH APPRECIATED THE CLEAN AND SPACIOUS BATHROOM HAVING A WINDOW. IT WAS VERY GENEROUS AND VERY KIND THAT THE MANAGEMENT KEPT THE HEATING WORKING ALL NIGHT LONG. THE STAFF WAS VERY FRIENDLY AND VERY HELPFUL !!!

• Executive Single Room

Isolated location. Ver expensive to reach by taxi fto Geneva. The rooms were not isolated at all, I could her the person having a shower next door as if it was in my room.

The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful. I was provided with a free travel card for trains, trams and buses to use duting my stay.

• Business Double Room

We found the position of this property downright dangerous. I have written to booking.com concerning their care of customers in terms of situations such as this and they haven't replied in a week even with a reminder. I blame most of our experience on booking.com and have used them exclusively for years. Having second thoughts. On arrival it is impossible to safely stop outside the hotel to unpack as the road is too busy. Also there are huge roadworks going on all along this busy route out of Geneva and this adds to the problems. The property should have called us to let us know what to do. We stopped as close to the edge of the pavement and we could with the emergency lights on. This caused all sorts of problems with impatient drivers in the road but we had no idea what the option was. My wife went in and the owner pointed us to a narrow side entrance. To get to it we had to go down the road to a roundabout and turn. On return we had to negotiate across the road and down the entrance which was partially blocked with a van. We managed to get the van driver to move slightly so we parked but would not be able to get out unless the van moved again this is not 'parking' as stated or defined on booking.com. Lord knows what would happen if a few cars turned up. The train station and some shops are about 5 and 10 minutes away by foot. However you take your life in your hands walking along the temporary pavement (Americans - sidewalk). It is dangerous due to a lot of traffic and the close proximity of vehicles and trucks. It's terrible. It is impossible due to barriers to cross the road. The barriers are on the other side of the road - there are none between you and the traffic!!!! We had to go out that night and walk back from the train station area in pitch darkness at 10:30pm. Absolutely frightening but iPhone torches helped. There are no facilities in the hotel.

The rooms have been upgraded apparently and in fact were quite comfortable.

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

• Business Single Room

The hotel is far from easy public transport and the city center of Versoix where most restaurants are.

The staff is very friendly. The cottage has a nice backyard and the breakfast is good.

• Reviewed: 29 November 2016

• Executive Double Room

Very bad smell at the entrance and a feel of old "hotel routier" all over. The picture portray a cosy nice place but the experience is not

room was very spacious - shower nice

• Reviewed: 22 November 2016

I really don´t know in this time.

Everything was great, but the best are kind people, with smile on their face and always ready to provide service. Special thanks for sweet lady from the reception, lower with dark hair, unfortunately I do not know her name.

• Reviewed: 29 October 2016

• Business Double Room

There is often no restaurant or bar, the place is only manned for a few hours per day, I arrived at 9pm and the hotel was locked it took me 30 mins to gain access, one night I came back food available but the rest of the nights all was closed up by 7:30pm

The food was superb home cooked and reasonable price for the location. Staff are very friendly and go out of the way to please

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

• Business Single Room

next to a big road with lots of noise at night. if you go, ask for a room on the back side otherwise it is hard to sleep at night. the rooms could also be updated a bit. the curtains fell down during my stay for example. the staff was very friendly and they fixed it right away, but it did cause me a bit of stress for that night.

very friendly staff, good breakfast

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

• Business Double Room

To hot to sleep without airconditioning at august, when window is opeden, it was imposible to fall a sleep due to street noise. Recomend to choose room with windows to yard at least at summer time.

Location near the beach, room.

• Business Double Room

Noisy, no reception in working hour, quite far away from downtown but they give city transportation card,

Vintage view, clean, free city transportation card,

• Reviewed: 24 June 2016

• Business Double Room

I did not like the fact that about everything was not convenient to reach / get hold of, that the mirror in the bathroom (for a nearsighted person) was so far behind the lavatory that I could barely see myself to take my make-up off, the fact that I had to grab and hold with 2 hands the chest of drawers so as to take out the tea bag. I did not like either the fact that no-one was at the reception when I got there, that they mixed up the envelope with my room's name on it and my room's key (not the same one), the fact that I could not get a drink at the bar when I got there. Actually about nothing was practical in the way it was installed : the worse being the key of the room and the card for the electricity chained together (meaning that you had to take out the card from the plug and therefore be in the dark to lock the door from the inside ) and the water that got poured on my head when I got in the shower, ruining my hairdo (I have long hair) because set such a way that the water could only get on the top of my head when I started running it. Not a nice hotel if you're on your own and expect some warmth or contacts with people.

I liked the cleanliness of the room and its fairly big size, the decoration of it, the comfort of the matrass, the big space in the bathroom, the fact that I could make myself a tea / coffee since there was a boiler in the room. I liked being able to park right across the sreet. Very nice hotel for a romantic stay in a couple because of the very nice rooms (staying there for the 2nd time) and the direct surroundings (trees).

• Business Double Room

Breakfast on the expensive side. But we know, all is expensive in Geneve.

• Business Single Room

The situation close to Geneva is great and the staff were wonderful and really helpful - I enjoyed my stay enormously

• Business Single Room

Peace full place not so crowded

Room was big and had a kitchen that is well equipped

Parking is little bit far about 400m from the property

Beautiful simple place

• Executive Single Room

Parking was offered off site a 10 min walk .. Rooms are small and place felt cramped...

Location and appearance of hotel. The photo on the booking site maybe great deception to business travellers

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

• Business Double Room

I was on a business trip. Its location was good for me. The hotel is fine and more convenient for me than others

Not Applicable

Arrange for pick up from Geneva Airport.

• Executive Double Room

I could hear rats walking in the ceiling. Couldn't sleep properly

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

• Executive Double Room

Smell in the room was terrible. The room lacks ventilation from the bath conner. There was no door.

Convenient location.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

Room was small and uncomfortable and there was no shampoo.

Room was clean, staff was very nice.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

Beer was not on tap.

Atmosphere - informality, helpful. Good choice for breakfast.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

Everything!

Nothing!!

• Reviewed: 9 September 2016

Very good

• Reviewed: 6 July 2016

• Business Double Room

See above. Must take train to restaurants and activities.

A/C unit wasn't working in unit. Overall close to Geneva and great value for price.

• Reviewed: 13 April 2016

No air-con and only window fronting on busy street meant it was nearly too warm with no practical means of cooling it. And this was in April.

Otherwise, a well equipped, spacious and comfortable room.

• Reviewed: 12 February 2016

No one was at the reception when I arrived, but they arrived shortly after I rang the bell (I only say this because another reviewer made the same comment...and it happened to me too). At least they showed up.... Also, some street noise due to location on a busy street. Not much can be done about that I suppose, although they might investigate sound-proof windows for rooms facing the street. Also, the passage from reception to my room felt claustrophobic with odd curtains in the hallways hiding something (ghosts or toilet paper?), uneven walkways, and creaky stairs. I understand it is an old building, but it would seem that management could capitalize more on the old building status and charm, and minimize the creepiness!

Convenient access off the motorway, located in a quiet lakeside suburb of Geneva, comfortable bed and nice bathroom with hot shower, very nice breakfast service, friendly staff, good value!

• Reviewed: 10 December 2015

The cozy atmosphere Excellent food: breakfast bread and homemade jams, superior croissants and an expresso machine Sublime dinner Fancy rooms Confy bed Great shower

• Reviewed: 2 November 2015

The employees are very nice and the breakfast is very good and we had the best croissant ever. Even the cottage is shabbly looked from the outside, however, the inside is supprisingly very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2015

we had one tea bag and no milk. Luckily I found someone to ask for milk. After room serviced there was no more and no one to ask :(( Microwave plug did not reach socket. No attention paid to requests on booking form

The room and shower facilities were good (we had a back room with shutters)

• Reviewed: 4 August 2015

On side away from road, which was quiet and had a nice view to the garden. Facilities were fine - clean, good. It was near to the main place I was visiting, so 2-night stay went well.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2015

There were ants everywhere in the room we stayed the first night. Our first intention was to leave as soon as possible, but the hotel manager arranged another room for us for the rest of the stay. To be fair, he was quite understanding and offered a breakfast as compliment. They say it was an unusual problem and there were no ants in the other room, but still... The first morning there was no hot water - they fixed it during the day, though. The rooms which outlook the road are rather noisy, so you definitely can't sleep with an open window. The ceilings are quite low and are covered with weird yellow something, which makes it look worse. The hotel staff do not seem extremely friendly. Breakfasts are quite poor for 16 euro and they don't provide unlimited coffee, you have to ask for each new cup.

The location is ok, still close to the city of Geneve, but not that expensive (though it is still overpriced as everything in Switzerland). The hotel provides free transport cards (ask at reception), which is great. But you should know, that Mies, the closest to the hotel railway station, is out of Zone 10. They have a small garden on the backyard. The rooms that overlook it are quiet.

• Reviewed: 22 June 2015

Coz it was build loooooooong time ago..u get that smell, other than that the stay was awesome.

Antique feel of the hotel as it was built in 1600s. Breakfast was ok as there only limited options. Facilities was very good in comparison to rest of the Europe hotels.. spacious.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2015

Dirtiness and bugs all over the place . I toilet that I even take a picture. ..and sent to my friends to laugh. You need to step into the bath to reach the WC. ...almost fall down in the morning ...very dangerous! Spiderweb everywhere ...

30 secs from the place that I want it

• Reviewed: 6 June 2015

A bit travelling and walking needed tot get to the city or airport but trains are free so not a big problem. Cottage itself was a bit noisy because you hear other guests easily.

Very friendly and helpfull

• Reviewed: 13 January 2015

In a city as expensive as Geneva having a microwave in the room was a great way to save a few dollars or francs. Beautiful old building in a nice area Helpful staff Clean room with nice decor Safe plentiful on street parking Free Laundry handy after being on the road

• Reviewed: 6 May 2016

None.

We liked the friendliness of the Couple who manages the whole show. Felt like home.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2016

No elevator.

Very close to Lake Léman and convenient to drive to downtown Geneva. Breakfast is nice.

• Reviewed: 18 January 2016

Wonderful, warm environment, family ran small hotel. Fine restaurant for dinner, super breakfast. All very comfortable and personal.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2016

Lovely stuff and delicious food

• Reviewed: 15 December 2015

Wi-Fi connection not stable. When traveling for business a stable internet connection is a MUST.

The staff is friendly The breakfast rich and good.

• Reviewed: 9 December 2015

Quiet, no noise in the bush-facing room.

• Reviewed: 16 November 2015

Very friendly staff, always willing to help

• Reviewed: 12 November 2015

An expensive cab ride from the main rail station in Geneva

Nice staff and nice little cottage....almost like a B&B

• Reviewed: 17 October 2015

You could hear everything from the room neighbor. In two different rooms the shower needs to be cleaned up better. Bed is good so far.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2015

In the middle of nowhere

Nice stuff.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2015

Junior suite warm and comfortable

• Reviewed: 3 October 2015

Unattended reception on arrival, but they turned up after 45 minutes to let us in.

Comfortable beds, friendly staff, food.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2015

Probably necessary to have a car if one needs to visit geneve.

Very cosy. Also good location.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2015

no aircondition in rooms

The back yard

• Reviewed: 15 August 2015

Too far away from the center of Geneva

• Reviewed: 4 August 2015

Very nice host. excellent welcome. excellent conversationalist.

• Reviewed: 25 July 2015

One woman from the stuff was really unprofessional & nervous

• Reviewed: 14 July 2015

Help with local travel

• Reviewed: 9 July 2015

No AIR CONDITION in acute summer heat - it is a heritage property. It has its limitations.

Artistic touch of the owner in the property maintainence.

• Reviewed: 22 May 2015

Non-existent sound insulation but luckily the other guests were not unreasonably noisy.

Location, non-corporate style of decor.

• Reviewed: 3 May 2015

lovely and original decor, quaint garden. Quiet room. Restaurant was very convenient and food was fresh and well prepared.

• Reviewed: 6 April 2015

helpfulness and friendliness, good quality and range of food and good value

• Reviewed: 28 March 2015

Very close to FIBA

• Reviewed: 5 February 2015

It was comfortable, very professional and nice staff. It felt like a pretty home that I was invited into.

There are also 34 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.