Reviews of Grand Hotel National Luzern 5 stars

Haldenstrasse 4, 6006 Luzern, Switzerland

#11 of 70 hotels in Luzern

Disappointed with the service

There were a couple of incidents where staffs were not courteous or even impolite. When I asked for an extra blanket, I was asked if I was accommodating an extra person in my room in a suspicious manner; when I asked some questions about tourist spots, I was told to go to the station and ask/get the tickets. We were extremely disappointed with the service and I do not think the hotel deserves the five-star.

The hotel is just by the lake side and has access to the lake-side path.

Schweizerhof is much better value for money
    • Double Room with Lake View

Upon arrival no one was there to help with the bags, had to carry heavy bags up the stairs. Porter appeared only after check in. The car was not allowed to be parked in front and we requested to have it ready at 7:30am in the morning as we had meetings, upon coming down at 7:40 the car was not ready and we had to wait another 15 mins. Compalined to reception, no apologies, the answer was ”its not my fault”. Limited variety at breakfast, no fresh veggies, eggs only from the kitchen (good though), limited cold cuts. Will not stay again and do not recommend.

We usually stay in Schweizerhof, but unfortunately it was fully booked, thus chose National. Location is good, with decent view to the lake. The room was spacious. Good restaurant (1871 was the name if I recall correctly) downstairs.

Disappointing!
    • Double Room with Lake View

Our room had a beautiful lake view however, it was located right next to the street, casino/night club. At 3am the nightclub just decided to play the music super loud and when I complained to the hotel, they said there’s nothing they could do about it and that I just had to wait until the club closing time which is 4am. The noise from the traffic was pretty bad and the wall of the room was paper thin because I could here my neighbors arguing, talking, baby crying... I was really shocked at the situation considering so many good reviews written here. The next day, the hotel did change our room but again, we still could hear noises from our neighbors... lastly, checking out took forever as the receptionist who served us was only a trainee and didn’t know what she was doing. Her English and German was really bad & her french was non existent. In overall, really disappointed with my stay, definitely not what you expect from 5 star hotel. I won’t recommend this hotel and will never come back.

The location, clean and comfortable room, beautiful surroundings and lake view, great restaurants

Top notch service
    • Double Room with City View

Great experience top notch service. Every evening i found a delicious Swiss chocolate by the bed to brighten my day. The location is extremely favourable by the lakeshore. Definitely recommended.

Views, provided with a lake view room
    • Double Room with City View

This is not a 5-star hotel, more like a 4-star without refurbishment for 20 years City room very noisy - opposite to a disco meaning hard to sleep in Fri/Sat Restaurants are poor (menu/food/atmosphere)

Views, provided with a lake view room

Very Gracious Hotel
    • Double Room with Lake View

About a kilometre from the boats and station which may be too far for some. They give you a bus pass though.

Wonderful views and decor. Really nice staff. Loved the Nespresso machine and the bar for an evening drink.

If possible, chose the room to the lake, magnificent view.
    • Junior Suite with Lake View

Annoying, due to it is an old building, one could hear quit clearly what others was spoken in the next room :(

If possible, chose the room to the lake, magnificent view.

Pretty good stay let down (but not spoiled) by a poor manager.
    • Deluxe Room with Lake View

The staff generally were brilliant. Shame the manager interfered with the lighting during breakfast. In the mornings it's nice to see your food whilst evenings are for atmospheric lower lighting. Showing workmen around whilst guests are eating breakfast is also a big "NO"...and the managers dog should not be in the room whilst guests are eating Breakfast. Overall the staff do a far better job than the manager or this review would be a lot more negative. This is a very expensive hotel and the small things matter....

Fantastic old charm hotel. Staff were always helpful and charming. Breakfast food was great.

Disappointed
    • Double Room with City View

Definitely not 5*. Looks and smells like a dated pub. Tiny rooms with very old crumbling furniture. No care for presentation, burn marks on the carpet, insufficient lighting, no modern electric connections like USB or dock, tiny shower over bath with the tub being smaller than standard and the shower head being at the middle of the tub’s length (not at either end of the tub as usually is the case), no shower box door so always cold in the shower, TV not hung straight, broken light, 20 min walk from station - other hotels nearer to the station, and worst of all check in staff - she was so dismissive when I asked to change rooms due to a leaky toilet smell in the room itself. Is not value for money at all.

Molten brown toiletries but not restocked.

Perfect stay
    • Double Room with Lake View

Everything was perfect. Staff is very kind and helpful. There was live piano in the bar. The rooms are checked twice and cleaned when we left the room. Customer care is amazing and you definitely feel special. The view of the room was amazing as well.

Hotel is great to stay in, but maybe they need to consider customers rights and expectations

A long stressful story to share: I booked a transfer from the airport service from the hotel on Oct 31st 2017, they confirmed on Nov 1st the service. On Nov 2nd, I had to cancel the request as I managed to have it offered complementary from the Airline Company. I was supposed to reach Zurich on Nov 2nd at 6: 40 am, and I communicated my cancelation request quite early considering time differences. The hotel charged me the fees of transfer fully (390 Swiss Francs), I had no objection to pay, but the only thing I asked for is my right to check a policy statement that entitles me to pay. Especially that no such information were communicated to me when I made the request through email. I approached everyone in the front desk asking for such clarification, for 5 consecutive days, they kept telling me “you have to pay" and they only presented an email not written in english about the transfer request, but no other details related to policy were highlighted. Our rooms were with breakfast, which I missed ( mistakenly missed this information when reviewing my booking confirmation when I did my booking) and also the hotel staff didn't mention nor highlight this to me when checking in. Usually , when you check in, you will be informed about such information. Although I have highlighted that to the front desk as “my mistake”, they did not sympathized, or tried to offer anything to compromise.

Location views from the room decoration some staff members were very helpful

Hotel felt very expensive for what you got!
    • Double Room with City View

Room too small, 1 dressing gown, 1 pair of slippers, , 1 bed side table. No aircon. Could hear traffic noise all night, could hear noise from other guests in nearby rooms. Shower over bath was perfect if you are 165cm tall or less. Room had a hint of a smell of sewage.

Grand Hotel. Location. Italian restaurant and service was very good.

Beautiful hotel, lovely room, wonderful staff.
    • Double Room with Lake View

The staff was wonderful. One of our suitcases did not make the connection from Amsterdam to Zurich. We then got on a train to Lucerne. One staff member in particularly helped with tracking the luggage and contacting KLM personally. Since the suitcase took almost two days to be delivered, and we were going to be leaving for the Jungfrau, I was getting very nervous. She was extremely helpful and considerate. The property and room were beautiful. The view of the lake was stunning. The included breakfast was extensive and delicious. We were extremely happy with the stay.

The very best of everything.
    • Double Room with City View

I could not fault one thing.

This was one of the nicest properties I have ever stayed at. Everything was sensational. Fresh fruit and 3 mini Florentines in the room. Beautifully furnished and just a great spot.

Wonderful. Will be going back.
    • Deluxe Room with Lake View

Possibility to have an early morning coffee served outside on the terrace given that we are in the middle of Summer.

Excellent staff and great location.

The location of the hotel is perfect.
    • Double Room with City View

We stayed for only one night at Grand Hotel National Luzern and it was a pleasant experience. The hotel is located close to the lake and is at a walking distance to almost every thing you need.

I did not feel comfortable. The staff was less than helpful
    • Double Room with City View

The staff was not helpful and I felt that the were not giving you the whole truth especially when it came to parking. I felt I got ripped off

Location was great

Luzern
    • Double Room with City View

the hotel staff were not available all the time, several times I would call reception and no one answers

the location was great, the restaurant at the hotel were also good

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Relaxing five days in Luzern
    • Deluxe Room with Lake View

Ubers/taxi are expensive! 16-20 CHF to go train station to hotel. Most expensive place during our 21 day adventure.

The view was amazing from room 410. Center of the lake. Staff was excellent. When I told them the bed was too hard, they brought me a mattress pad and I slept like a baby! Bus stop right across from hotel entrance. Train/bus stations within walking distance along the tree lined lake front. Beautiful and cool in first week of June. We would stay in the hotel again in a heart beat!

Next time in Lucerne we'll stay at the Palace next door
    • Deluxe Room with Lake View

Being ignored by bar staff Having a key stop working one day into a 4 day stay Room not being cleaned etc when we returned at 7.00pm

Avoided breakfast as it cost 35 Swiss francs each (about £32)

Best view, historic and luxury hotel in Luzern
    • Junior Suite with Lake View

I was going to give you 10, but swimming is still fixing and no door man help me with luggage when I arrived. The hotel has stairs and I had 2 luggages. Wifi always get cut off if you don't use your phone after 5 mins.

Thank you for giving me the best room with balcony in my room category and I really enjoyed my stay. The view was the best and the room was really really big and beautiful. I think you are the best hotel in Luzern. Meal in the restaurant is nice too.

• Junior Suite with Lake View

Maybe the food Menu for the room service wish they'll have more choices ...exellenf

I like everything in this hotel :location ,the staff,the room ....

Beautiful luxury hotel
    • Double Room with Lake View

We went to the 1871 restaurant. The service was just terrible and the brunch was way overpriced for its content. The waiter was rude and not helpful.

The service in the hotel was great. We especially liked hanging out at the Bar National, which had a very competent staff.

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

Great location, great staff.
    • Deluxe Room with Lake View

Two things: 1. the acoustics was really bad - you can hear people from other rooms quite loudly. 2. When booking I wasn't told there are balconies in some of the rooms. We got a balcony in one room but not the other.

Great location, great staff. Spotless clean. View is amazing (lake view).

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

Enjoyable
    • Double Room with Lake View

Due to a missed connection, we couldn't get to the hotel and had to pay the full room rate. A small reduction would have been nice. Not the hotels fault or mine but an expensive night missed.

The room was very nice and the view over the lake was stunning.

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

Absolutely fantastic!
    • Double Room with City View

The best! A fantastic hotel, the room was immaculate, beautiful, clean and well made. It had fresh fruit, water and a great coffee machine all at the ready. They really took the attention to detail and time to make your stay memorable. The reception were fantastic in making me feel welcome and did a great job of pointing out some local landmarks that might be interesting. The hotel itself was beautiful, the restaurants on sight were wonderful and really fantastic that you had so much choice. The location was fantastic, close enough to the main shopping areas that it was only a short walk but far enough away that the noise wasn't a problem. I had a city view, but the lake view would have been amazing. The hotel really was fantastic and offered excellent service right from the beginning until the end.

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

New Year trip
    • Double Room with Lake View

The toast from the kitchen was on the burnt side The hotel added city tax to our bill of 48 Swiss francs which was extra to what our quoted price of the hotel stay was. We were never informed about this added cost. One to be aware of if you are thinking of travelling to this hotel.

The view of the lake from the room.

• Reviewed: 26 January 2017

Nice historical hotel in Prague
    • Double Room with City View

Parking is opposite to the hotel but valet parking is available.

Historical building, high ceiling, spacious room, nice extra bed for kid, traditional style balcony, staircase,...quite a lots I like.

We had booked this hotel 10 months before we traveled...

We had booked this hotel 10 months before we traveled because we were staying there for Christmas eve and Christmas day. I emailed them 2 months before we traveled asking if we needed to book for Christmas lunch, dinner. I didn't get a response I then emailed again about 3 weeks before and still didn't get a response. I then assumed it mustn't be a problem as they had several restaurants. On arrival the concierge asked if we had booked anywhere for that nights dinner and Christmas day. We said no, she then told us it would be difficult as everything either was already booked closing early or closed for the next 3 days. We ended up going to the Chinese Restaurant across the road for both dinners and it was fantastic value for money and food was lovely.

Beautiful hotel and lovely looking room with a great view but that's about it
    • Deluxe Room with Lake View

No one ever greeted us as we arrived back to the hotel, or left for the day, completely ignored. Upon check-out we weren't asked how our stay was, the only question was if we'd had anything from the mini bar. The rooms have wooden floors so you hear every chair scrape across the floor and every high heel clip from your neighbours. Also, whenever someone slammed their door (they don't close quietly) your own door will rattle. The maids do like to chat at the top of their voices in the corridors too.

Beautiful bar with a good bar man. The pool was nice and quiet. Great firework display on New Year's Day that we could watch from the balcony of our lake view room.

• Reviewed: 3 December 2016

Too old,room size is very small, no carpet whilethe weather...
    • Double Room with City View

Too old,room size is very small, no carpet whilethe weather is very was very cold, very noisy and doors are slamming all the time. breakfast (food variety) was limited.

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

Due to some painting work on the hotel and as we did not...
    • Double Room with Lake View

During booking customers need to be informed if work will be in the hotel, the staff are not that much friendly eccept a lady which did our check-in. I lost a thing and when I asked to be checked in the system they started that it may have extra cost for checking security cameras on the way out, althoug they did a quick check later without a cost.

Due to some painting work on the hotel and as we did not accept a room in the same floor the hotel offers us upgraded perfect rooms. The location is perfect, the products offered by the hotel also a high quality products. Starting with the chocolate offered, coffe and next day weather forcast.

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

Luxury and comfort in Luzern
    • Double Room with Lake View

Location was great ! It's a very short walk into the center of town and transportation. The rooms were beautifully decorated with a touch of old world luxury. We had a lake view with a wrought iron terrace which looked over the lake with the Swiss Alps in the background. Staff was very professional and helpful. Walking distance to many restaurants.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

Made our honeymoon perfect!
    • Double Room with City View

We were on our honeymoon and the staff decorated our bedroom with rose petals throughout, wrote us a nice card and left us a plate of literally the best fruit i've ever eaten! It was very much appreciated after a long trip and made the whole experience even more romantic. The service was excellent throughout - they even left a weather forecast card on our bed with a chocolate each day and sometimes tidied our room more than once. The little things really made the difference!

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

Great stay in Luzern!
    • Double Room with City View

The staff was very friendly and helpful! They upgraded us for free to a lake view room. The two rooms had a hallway that you could lock the door so it made it more like a suite which was great when traveling with kids. Would recommend this hotel if traveling to Luzern!

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

Worth the price!
    • Double Room with Lake View

This is probably one of the more expensive options in the city but it was worth it for us. We had a great stay. Excellent location within walking distance to many restaurants, shopping, and attractions in the city. Attentive, friendly staff. Beautiful rooms with lots of space. Very clean. Beautiful views. It was worth paying for the water view!

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

Lovely stay!
    • Double Room with Lake View

Huge room! Lovely view of lake Central location to sites and close proximity to train station! Loved being offered cold drink of orange juice upon arrival! Beautiful large bathroom too!

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

Great Luxuty hotel
    • Double Room with Lake View

Very poor breakfast There are no ramps in the hotel entry for the baby stroller or wheelchair, you have to use the garage left which is inconvenient, however the friendly staff offered to help to carry the baby stroller The housekeeper is so rude! If she is in the room cleaning and we come, I let her know that we will just need 10 minutes to leave so that she takes her time to clean the room and she was pointing to her watch even though it was 2 pm! (It happened twice) . And one time she was complaining in her language and obviously I don't know what she is saying. She does not makeup the bed well. Her arrangement is rubbish! I shared a picture of the bed arrangement to the reception and she professionally apologized and saved the picture to share it with the people in charge.

Spacious room with breathtaking view Location is amazing Luxury rooms Professional Staff We would always stay here

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

Great stay in Lucerne
    • Double Room with City View

Wished we had taken advantage of bicycles provided by hotel to journey around the lake

we were upgraded to a lake view room and it was stunning. Room was beautifully appointed. Location is fantastic.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

Lucerne and the beautiful nature.
    • Double Room with Lake View

Nothing in regards to our experiance, but keep in mind that the price is a little high. As a price you pay to have great experiance and a good time, it absolutely worth it.

The room was amazingly large and the stuff were very friendly and happy to help. I don't want to talk about the veiw because it is stunning as you look from the window and see the lake, the mountains and the beautiful nature. We had a wonderful time there.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

Great city-break location

It's expensive in Switzerland, but that's the fault of the strong CHF and the weakness of the £.

The hotel has an excellent location. It's on the lakeside facing the mountains, very close to all the sights, shopping, train station and ship piers. It was therefore a great base for local mountain excursions. We tried three of the in house restaurants, which were of a better quality than most of those in the town itself, and little more expensive. The Italian, Padano, and the Chinese, Jialu, were particularly good. Very easy to reach by 1 hour train ride from Zurich airport.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

Great Experience

Absolutely nothing.

Staff. There were incredible. Especially Victoria from the front desk. She was very polite to us, she handled fast all our requests, it was absolutely insane how nice she was. Views great as always, room clean. Nothing to complain about.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

Perfect, stunning but expensive
    • Junior Suite with Lake View

Everything ist just very expensive

Take a room with balcony and see view, have every morning breakfast with stunning views on balcony, first time in Switzerland - just amazing

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

Only AC with the Suite rooms
    • Double Room with City View

We thought we were booking a room with AC. It even looks like there is an AC in room so we set controls. At night it got hot, called down to lobby in am and told we only have a room that circulates the air. They did provide us a separate fan for the follow day. We were VERY surprised. We Paid a lot of money for a 5 star hotel room with no AC

Location was nice location and great pool/spa area.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

Beautiful hotel, nice staff, will stay again. Inconveniences were only minor. Daniel is very nice.
    • Junior Suite with Lake View

For 1200 Swiss francs a night, I should be refused nothing. Asked for turn down service at 22:00 and was refused, citing no staff available. Also, two twin beds were put together to "make" a king. In a 1200chf room per night, please include an actual king bed.

The decor and physical beauty of the room. Three balconies, high ceiling, lovely furniture, in room nespresso.

it was a very pleasant stay

the breakfast

The location, the restaurant, facilities & the room.

Beautiful view, welcoming, great staff, fantastic experience...
    • Double Room with City View

Beautiful view, welcoming, great staff, fantastic experience and great way to be welcomed in Luzern!!

Love it

The location and room are excellent for us, I am very happy with all

The picture in the booking.
    • Junior Suite with Lake View

The picture in the booking.com was different than the reality.

Fabulous bar, great location and excellent staff.
    • Double Room with City View

Fabulous bar, great location and excellent staff.

Amazing hotel

great location lovely lake view near the centre

Vegetarian breakfast has hardly any options

Vegetarian breakfast has hardly any options

Enjoy

I will come again with my damily

EVERYTHING.
    • Deluxe Room with Lake View

EVERYTHING. The room was amazing, beautiful view, turn down service, very clean, staff amazing, 10 out of 10.

Best tip to lucerne

Rooms, clean, facilities, location

Perfect stay
    • Double Room with City View

Perfect stay, super food, nice people, exceptional Grand Hotel flair which can not be achieved by new hotels

Just Perfect .

Everything .

The room is amazing

Sleepy staff

The room is amazing

Loved everything about this hotel!

Loved everything about this hotel! Had lake view room with balcony Fabulous!

Extremely friendly staff

Extremely friendly staff

If you have the money, go all out and enjoy yourself to the full.

What was not to like???

Magnificent room and view of lake. Friendly staff going that extra mile for certain guests.

Superb swimming pool with gorgeous views.
    • Double Room with City View

Faint but present smell of cigarette smoke in the bedroom, despite its being a non-smoking room.

Superb swimming pool with gorgeous views.

Excellent location and service
    • Double Room with City View

Service was slow to check out

Location is excellent, service wonderful and rooms tastefully furnished

Halal food like meat and Checken will attract Arab and...

Halal food like meat and Checken will attract Arab and Muslim to your hotel .you see all our dining out side the hotel

The front desk staff needs more training on how to respect...
    • Double Room with City View

The front desk staff needs more training on how to respect customers.

完美!
    • Double Room with City View

Very friendly and helpful and quick respond, thanks a lot! We will be back again!

Magical though expensive for room on the lake
    • Double Room with Lake View

Extra service both at reception and in two of their restaurants

Serves

Exceptional property, stunning location and great service.
    • Double Room with City View

Exceptional property, stunning location and great service. We also ate at the restaurant outside by the lake and the food was stunning.

One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in
    • Double Room with Lake View

The room, view, location, ambiance, service - it was amazing

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

Nice place to stay in Luzerne