Reviews of Hotel Hofgarten Luzern 4 stars

Stadthofstr. 14, 6006 Luzern, Switzerland

#22 of 70 hotels in Luzern

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

A perfect place to stay in Luzern!

The stairs were a bit difficult with our heavy luggage. The height of the wall of the tub presents a challenge and could be dangerous.

The comfortable room, the hospitality, the garden, the buffet breakfast, the location...we had a wonderful stay!

The service is always great and the breakfast is one of my...

Mostly this is one of my favorite hotels in Luzern, but with high temperatures, I cannot recommend it longer. There is no air conditioning in the rooms and it was hot as hell. We were offered extra water, that was nice.

The service is always great and the breakfast is one of my favorites: nice bread, great buffet and good cup of coffee. The staff is really friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Lovely and very kind staff

We were a family of three and really loved our stay over 8 nights at Hofgarten. We had a long stay and felt at home. We checked in a bit late at night around 9 and were checked in by Oliver, who was really kind through out our stay. Extremely friendly and warm staff. Big thanks to Oliver, Celine and Koina who greeted us with a big smile every morning :)

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Clean, very confortable bed, very friendly staff, good...

There is'int air conditioning ( only a table fan), if windows were opened is very noisy (is near a road were buses and cars runs also at night) . The stile is not elegant, or at least not in rooms and corridors. Parking not in the same building (but valet service is offered at the reception).

Clean, very confortable bed, very friendly staff, good breakfast, complimentary daily bus ticket, perfect location.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Overall a good experience

Being a 4 star hotel we expected an airconditioned room. Though the hotel provided 2 stand alone fans to make up (which was an OK alternative) Probably the weather was unexpectedly hot hence the room/city was too hot which is not as per plan. June, July and August might not be the time to visit. But in other months this hotel is simply Perfect. Everything (including staff and services) will win your heart for sure.

Everything including service. Breakfast ambiance was to die for. At 7 am in the morning the open air breakfast setting and options makes you feel as if you are in heaven (dont miss the church bells in morning breakfast which enhance the experience)

Too hot and noisy for me.

The room and bed were small and located at the triangular end of the building with lots of traffic right outside, even at night. Also there was a ping pong table outside one window that was in use by groups of young people until 1:30 am. The worst problem was the lack of air conditioning. They provided a table fan, which unfortunately was quite noisy. I had to keep the windows open, which cooled off the room slightly, but with the ping pong table and traffic, it was very difficult to sleep. Also, with the windows open, there was a privacy issue with apartment buildings close by.

Excellent restaurant and pleasant staff. My room and bathroom were very clean.

Beds and pillows are good.

We slept under the roof and the room was extremely hot. Also our friends who slept one floor lower had difficulties to sleep. Even two fans did not help enough. I suppose we do not have such a hot summer every year, but being a four star hotel I would invest in an airco system for all rooms.

Beds and pillows are good. The location is perfect, near to city center and no noise at all. All the staff were extremely friendly and helpfull. The location of the restaurant in the garden is nice, also to take the (good) breakfast in the morning. The food in the restaurant is very good. The last night they forgot our order and we had to wait a long time on our food, but ok this can happen because the restaurant was fully booked. In order to compensate this, they gave me a second bottle of (the same good) wine and I als had not to pay the desert as well ! We were moved by so much attention for a small mistake.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

It was very pleasant stay in terms of the location & comfort, so we'll stay again

Nothing really. The weather was incredibly hot when we visited, so we felt air condition system would be very nice to have.

The location is excellent and the staff were very pleasant. Also, the quaity of the service was impecable.

Great Location in Lucern

No AC in some very hot days in July. Room was practically at ground level , quite a lot of street noise, and the curtains had to be used at all times for some privacy. Very poor WiFi network

Great location near the lake and old city.

It’s a comfortable room with well-equipped kitchen and...

It’s a comfortable room with well-equipped kitchen and dinning hall. Everything is clean and the room is big enough for two person to stay. By the way, the staff are friendly and try their best to satisfy customer’s need. I strongly recommend this hotel when you travel in Lucern.

Lovely hotel with lovely staff

Unfortunately our room was not accessible by elevator which make it real hard to go up and down with heavy luggages. But overall we still love this hotel and staff. 100% recommend!

The staff, especially Carina at breakfast, but really allrhe staff are very kind and helpful. Room service was done amazingly everyday and the hotel provide water at reception to grab free of charge. The location is awesome, near by the lake but quiet area. The church is near by that I can hear the bell which is beautiful.

Great all around.

Everything was great.

Staff couldn't have been better. We had rental car issues and they were so helpful. ATE DINNER IN THEIR RETAURANT and the service and food was one of the best meals we had in Switzerland

Beautiful design hotel, very clean and comfortable rooms.

Beautiful design hotel, very clean and comfortable rooms. Excellent restaurant on side with most delicious meals and very welcoming and friendly staff. Thank you all to make our stay excellent!

Good location but dated rooms

The room was outdated, especially the blue tiles in the room.

Good location, within walking distance to the main attractions and restaurants. The room was spacious, facing the inner garden, where the breakfast was served. Spacious bathroom. Breakfast was basic.

Excellent place to stay in midst of Luzern

My 10yr old and I stayed at Hotel Hofgarten for 1 night. We loved everything about this quaint property. Its a beautiful 10 minute walk to Luzern station or just 2 stops by tram. The Lion monument, Chapel bridge, lake and city centre can be easily reached on foot. The hotel also provides a tram card for the duration of stay. Our room was huge! It had an attached pantry complete with cutlery, crockery and basic appliances. The room was beautiful with big windows, a dining table with chairs and a big, comfy bed. A small fan was provided but with gorgeous weather we really had no use for it. A hearty breakfast with sufficient variety was provided outdoors which we enjoyed. The staff are friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it.

Perfect stay!

Overall food was delicious and Breakfast selection was good, but i think it could have been better if they changed the hot dishes a bit every other day. We stayed there for 3 nights. Just my preference since i like to have different breakfast everyday but not a big issue :)

Excellent customer service, friendly employees in reception and during breakfast! Free bottled water available from reception and take note it is unlimited so no need to buy in groceries. Very good location and very near to the lake. Room is very clean and hotel well maintained. There is also a visitor pass provided by the hotel which gives guests free wifi and bus / train rides within lucerne city.

I stayed there for a few days and I did not like that there is no AC ( at least the room where I stayed), so summers could be tough. Second, there was something weird with the room service and staff. Room service did not go in two days and another day they tried to enter my room at 9:30 am ( I was naked about to take a shower and told them to come later ), also people from staff (front desk) knocked on my door almost everyday In order to check/make “room control” ( not sure what they wanted, but made me feel unconfortable, I have not seen this in other hotels in my travel time )

Location and breakfast

Cosy house full of amazing staff

The room itself is great however there was no power sockets around the bed (only can charge my laptop and phone around the fridge), and no water boiler or mugs when I wanted to have some tea.

It was a very spacious single room. Nice buffet breakfast/great service, all the staff is very helpful and friendly. The restaurant downstairs serve great dinner. It was the best dinner I had in town.

Location, Food, and staff were great. Room furnishings and noise from street wasn't great.

The room furnishings and fit out was not the newest/nicest. The street was really closeby to the room making it very loud at night. There was a bus stop right outside the window so there were constantly buses and people stopping, going, and talking. Also there was no air conditioning, so the windows were left open making it even louder.

The breakfast was really great and the restaurant had a cool setting. The location was really convenient to a lot of places and the valet parking for a car was easy. The corner room had great windows that opened to the street with nice views of the convent.

Incredibly unexpected stay :-) Very happy!

To be honnest, I haven't any idea what could be improved! At least not after our first stay, maybe something will come up the next time we will go there!

Staff were really professional and really nice. Food was excellent

The perfect place to stay in Lucerne

Similar to other reviewers, we found the room to be a bit warm and we were there in April. The hotel staff provided us with a small fan, but it was really not enough to keep the room comfortably cool. Since there is no air conditioning, I would imagine the rooms in this hotel would be very hot during the summer. We had read other reviews which commented on on the noise from the church bells nearby but we did not find this to be a problem at all.

This hotel is in an excellent location to visit all of the sites in Lucerne. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They took care of the smallest details for us. The room was very large and clean and comfortable. The bed and pillows were exceptionally comfortable. There was a small kitchen stocked with items so that you could make tea and coffee. It was a small hot plate and some kitchen equipment so that you could cook if you wanted to do so. The breakfast was excellent—especially the omelette, but you have to request it to be made. There is an elevator.

Perfect location and amazing breakfast!

Perfect location in the city center, right beside a beautiful church. Few seconds from the water and bridges/shops. Staff was great. Breakfast was delicious. We had dinner in their restaurant and it was very good. We walked everywhere around it.

The locatiob, the staff (both the owner that was very kind...

smell of garbage in the room whenever you open the windows. Coming from the garbage cans located below the windows. The neighbour is renovating which means that constant noise and can't open the windows as someone would look into the room

The locatiob, the staff (both the owner that was very kind and the waiter at breakfast)

The most amazing customer service in all of Switzerland.

My bedroom was loud but they moved me to a wonderful room my second night upon request. :) Amazing customer service!

I loved the staff!! It was my birthday I was traveling alone, arrived after getting lost and I was exhausted. The wonderful woman at the front desk sent me a piece of chocolate cake with a candle on it and a coffee. That should give you an idea of how amazing this place is. :) Also, breakfast is great.

Perfect.

The breakfasts were fabulous, the food in the restaurant amazing, the room so well set up and comfortable and classy and the location perfect. But the best of all? The staff were so lovely. Genuinely kind and caring as well as professional. They really made our stay very special.

Excellent little swiss syyle hotel

Great little swiss hotel. Location is perfect, close to downtown. Excellent public transportation, great breakfast, comfortable room, very nice staff. We would definitely come back.

Good location, right outside bus stop.

Room was too hot, no air conditioner. Beddings were uncomfortable.

Good location, right outside bus stop. Very clean, staff were lovely! Gave us free water.

We LOVED Lucerne & enjoyed the Hotel Hofgarten Luzern. Very enjoyable stay but wish it had been a li

Didn't like the size of the room. Bed was not as comfortable as we would have liked. Bathroom was weird in that the door was clear glass & some areas of the glass were such that you couldn't see thru that part of the glass.

Staff was amazing & friendly. Breakfasts were good. Location was good, close to main tourist areas, We enjoyed our stay very much. Although the room was clean it was on the small side. A very interesting hotel & it has a great history which we liked.

Great location. Cosy and spacious single room.

There was no AC (not that I could find anyway). There was a table fan, but it was quite loud, making it inconvenient to use during night. I did not tell the staff as I was happy overall and didn't want to make a big deal if it. But they might want to look into improving the AC situation. I was on the top floor and the room got very warm even with open windows.

Good sized single room. Nice room design.

Good option for Lucern center

Some members of the staff No A/C in a very hot day-vent was as old as the building, so noisy

Location Historical building Room design and cleanness Some members of the staff

Perfect location for attending a Rowing World Cup at the Rotsee.

We were there during one of the hottest periods of the summer so far. We knew it is an old building, so we forgive them for not having air conditioning - but it was very hot in our room at night!

Very friendly people. Great location close to the old town. Free pass for public transport. Breakfast. Two lovely evening meals. Free bottles of water at the reception desk -which we really needed, see below.

Great service and very nice receptionist.

Curtains did not make full dark, not very modernly decorated

Great service and very nice receptionist. Convenient valet parking (although costs 25 CHF), very nice breakfast, in a very good location.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Small, comfortable, very pleasant.

the only downsides - it can be loud (traffic noise), but hey, this is a relatively minor inconvenience. and there's no air-conditioning.

the building is charming. my room was smallish, but immaculate. the restaurant was excellent. wonderful cooking, and value for money (remember, Switzerland is always expensive, but taken in context, this was good value). restaurant staff not just unfailingly polite, but also friendly. the location is excellent, 1 minute to the lake, 10-minute walk to the ships on the lake the train station and the museum. bus stops on the corner.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Restaurant staff could be more diplomatic when we are making...

Restaurant staff could be more diplomatic when we are making "mistakes" like try to make your own espresso (self service is not allowed), or try to have a glass which has a different certain ussage (not allowed to drink water in it at breakfast). In the past there was a Lady with wonderful attitude, I remembered her many times and actually have chosen the hotel again because of her :-)

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

Beautiful Lucerne

Clock tower rings every hour can be quite disturbing to some people, throughout the night. The only only major drawback in an otherwise perfect stay.

Very helpful hotel staff, they made us feel at home. The rooms are spacious. The location is nice but then you'll hear the clock tower bell throughout the night despite the seemingly sound proof windows.

Great place for a weekend

the location is next to the church, if you wish to keep an open window, may be challenging in the morning;-)

Great location, nice (traditional) building, very large room ( we were told it is the largest, so cannot really tell how the others look like). NIce choice for breakfast. We had a coffee machine and tea service in the room. the location is in the city center , 2 minutes from the walking area and the lake, which is great!

Great restaurant, good location

There didn't seem to be a permanent staff member at the front desk. We were occasionally left waiting until the restaurant staff notifies someone to help us, so we stopped leaving our keys with them as we went in/out everyday.

Close enough to the train station and lake without all the noise that comes with being too close. The restaurant is well worth a visit. Good breakfast. The original features were a nice touch. We weren't expecting a kitchenette but for those that might want to "cook" in their room there are a few pots and pans, along with coffee maker and beans.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

Loved the old building that was nicely renovated, fantastic...

It is an old building so I had to walk up several flights of stairs (no elevator to the top) and my room had nice exposed wooden beams (although there were some spiders there - OK for me but I know some people who would have been upset).

Loved the old building that was nicely renovated, fantastic location and great breakfast.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Excellent restaurant, very nice breakfast, very helpful and...

Excellent restaurant, very nice breakfast, very helpful and accommodating staff. Good location, easy walking distance to waterfront.

Close to everything, very nice staff

Noisy road outside on bus route

Close to everything, very nice staff

The staff were very friendly and helpful

No air conditioning with temperature at 30 C

The staff were very friendly and helpful

Great hotel in good location with amazing staff

No air con in a heatwave

Everything else! Staff were amazing

Great place

Loved the location, and the outdoor area to enjoy breakfast in. Hotel staff was very friendly as well!

Pleasant place.

Pleasant place. Pleasant staff. A good choice for Lucerne.

Overall great value and good included breakfast with great service

Good property but no A/C . We were provided with a fan and the locals said it was unusually hot for this time of year

Beautiful little hotel in the heart of Luzern

Incredibly comfortable hotel with very nice facilities and a great location in the heart of town. Really good value for Luzern.

Nice

Good location, and quiet place to sleep.

Brilliant inner city hotel with excellent breakfast service

Breakfast was excellent. Coffee was great, a lot like we would have in Australia. Staff were super friendly and helpful. Valet parking was a relief!

The hotel was wonderful, old outside redone inside.

The hotel was wonderful, old outside redone inside. Staff were extremely helpful and friendly.

Great location!

Very, very small tv

Great location!

People

People

The restaurant and location

Room design is not the best

The restaurant and location

Very friendly and helpful staff.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Excellent restaurant in hotel. Great location, easy to find.

• Reviewed: 5 October 2016

Noise

Welcome Breakfast

• Reviewed: 16 May 2016

We like the location.

This hotel looks charming from outside like an old building. From inside it is looks like a student residence ( Not the good one) or a hostel. Black ceilings, green painted walls. No atmosphere. Breakfast was so limited and it was COOKED BY A WAITER AND RECEPTIONIST. As a hot option -only fried eggs, no hot sausages, no omelettes. So very poor. Nice choice of cheese and bread.

We like the location. Close to the station, to the lake.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2016

The rooms are excellent, comfortable, clean.

maybe some cheaper offerings in the restaurant like sandwiches or snacks. it is "fine dining" and excellent but something in a lower price point

The rooms are excellent, comfortable, clean. It's in a great location. Great restaurant - a little pricey but excellent food Great staff and service Inclusive breakfast buffet is fantastic I have been staying here whenever in Luzern for 30 years and always come back

• Reviewed: 1 April 2016

We had a lovely twin room with little kitchenette - looked...

All good except the tariff was a bit high but that's Switzerland rates

We had a lovely twin room with little kitchenette - looked into a courtyard The hotel was good walking distance from the station

• Reviewed: 1 March 2016

Location o the hotel is convenient.

Little bit strange furniture selection in the room. But maybe it is some big designer idea behind. no free parking.

Location o the hotel is convenient. Directly acessible by car. personnel was helpful. building is renovated and fresh. spacious room. wifi.

• Reviewed: 24 February 2016

Friendly staff, wonderful restaurant, quiet but central...

Furniture could be more cozy if more wood than metal is used. Would be very nice to have a couch in the room.

Friendly staff, wonderful restaurant, quiet but central location, historical building.

• Reviewed: 30 October 2015

since i stay at the top floor and the lift could not reach...

since i stay at the top floor and the lift could not reach that floor so I feel inconvenient to carry my 2 luggage to my room as I have to take it by stairs

• Reviewed: 20 October 2015

They rate themselves with 4 stars, and that really made me...

They rate themselves with 4 stars, and that really made me wonder what these 4 stars stand for. It's not that the place is bad. But there is absolutely nothing incredible about it. It was by far the most expensive hotel of my 9-hotel trip, and it was the nearly the least satisfying one. Among others, I can point out the "HD TV" which is as small as my PC screen, the lack of double-curtain or the safe-box which comes locked and without a key on it. Overall, the place feels old, and for 4 stars I was expecting more comfort, even from an "old" place.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2015

Description of garden as a peaceful retreat was disappointing as it was just the outside seating area for the restaurant.not very private.

Great location. Small number of rooms meant it was quiet. Clean. Helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2015

The staff were very friendly and helpful each one of them...

All good although aircon would have upped the rating

The staff were very friendly and helpful each one of them was happy to be there - food in restaurant was ok - breakfast was superb / no aircon in rooms / able to leave windows open though at night- close to all attractions and a 10 min walk to station

• Reviewed: 15 July 2015

The location of the hotel was nice-not right in the middle...

We didn't have a bad experience, but didn't realize there is no air conditioning. We had one hot sleeping night, but otherwise it was fine with a fan. The breakfast was ok, but we have had better in other hotels.

The location of the hotel was nice-not right in the middle of everything, but very close by. We loved the bed and the room and whole hotel was extremely clean. The staff was kind and very responsive when the WIFI had an issue-it was fixed right away.

• Reviewed: 2 April 2016

Excellent location.

All was good

Excellent location.Comfort hotel with the charm of old times.

• Reviewed: 1 April 2016

Location is great.

Location is great. The breakfast is fenomenal and staff is great.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2015

Reasonably priced (for Lucerne).

Reasonably priced (for Lucerne). Clean and comfortable with great staff. Room was spacious.

• Reviewed: 8 December 2015

Staff extremely helpfull and friendly

Staff extremely helpfull and friendly

• Reviewed: 5 November 2015

The staff was friendly and helpful, the breakfast was...

The staff was friendly and helpful, the breakfast was incredible!

• Reviewed: 3 November 2015

Excellent hotel.

Excellent hotel. Well located and comfortable. Breakfast is over rated.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2015

Perfect location.

Perfect location. Walking distance from everything. Excellent restaurant. Amazing staff. Oliver and crew are superstars!

• Reviewed: 25 October 2015

• Reviewed: 16 October 2015

Good location, very good included breakfast.

No in room coffee. But breakfast was very good

Good location, very good included breakfast. Clean, quiet and good shower

• Reviewed: 13 October 2015

Great place to stay in Luzern, very nice staff good service.

No lift, but the staff help to carry all the bags

Great place to stay in Luzern, very nice staff good service.

There are also 25 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.