Reviews of Hotel Schweizerhof Basel 3 stars

Centralbahnplatz 1, 4002 Basel, Switzerland

#3 of 56 hotels in Basel

• Business Double or Twin Room

I haven't really got anything to say against this hotel - the worst I can think of is having to wait for a top-up of the bacon tureen at breakfast one morning. Life can be hard!

This hotel is a favourite. It is primarily a businessmens hotel but one I would recommend to anyone. The rooms are minimal in appearance but always calm and clean and the beds comfortable. We have stayed at this hotel on previous occasions and never been disappointed by it. The staff are always very welcoming and pleasant and it's facilities always look fresh. Everyone is entitled to free orange juice and/or coca cola from the chilled cabinet on one of the floors (this is instead of having your own fridge in the rooms) and there is no restriction on this. The central location, right outside the SBB Bahnhof and the tram station is excellent and we made full use of the complimentary bus and tram pass. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone.

• Ambiente Double Room

Can't think of anything to suggest.

We have stayed in this hotel many times and always stay there when in Basel. The staff are friendly, the rooms are large and well-lit, and the bathrooms well-designed and functional. The breakfast buffet has been great for years. It is a short walk from the SBB train station, and offers parking.

• Business Double or Twin Room

Too few days to enjoy Basel ... and the hotel.

Spacy and well furnished room with a nice view towards the square. The city of Base offers, through the hotel, a card covering free transportation and reductions at the various museums ... a feature that many cities should adopt in order to support tourism.

• Business Double or Twin Room

Hop on the rail for a short ride to the City Center and wonderful museums. Don’t miss the Rathaus either. The train station is also a stroll to the left and a lovely park is to the right. Roberto at the front desk is welcoming and professional.

• Economy Single Room

Wifi access code provided by staff didn't work, but might have been a temporary Swisscom technical glitch

Clean, easy checkin/checkout, great location - perfect for a short stay/business trip

• Economy Single Room

The staff was extremely friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. The hotel is located right near the train station, the trams and within walking distance of the old town. Plus, it's across from a pleasant park.

• Economy Single Room

Very difficult to find parking. I circled the property several times and was confused about where I could and couldn’t drive.

Charming city. Nice hotel. Good restaurant next door.

• Business Double or Twin Room

That breakfast was not included in our room rate (we booked via an external site). And I really object to this modern practice of demanding so much information, including passport details, from a guest who is staying overnight. The staff blamed Swiss law, and I do not know enough to say otherwise, but it is ridiculous. I paid in advance, in full, using an easily traceable credit card, but still had to produce passport, and tell my UK address and phone number and even, at one point, my date of birth, which is already on my blasted passport. I object to this very strongly.

I'd definitely stay at the Hotel Schweizerhof again. It is ideally located for my wife and me, who occasionally stay in Basel when travelling back to the UK from Wengen in the Bernese Oberland. It has been modernised sympathetically, bringing it up to modern standards while keeping a grand Victorian feel in parts of the interior. In which respect it reminded me somewhat of the Hotel Palace and National in Wengen, where I spent two summers as a teenage working as a hall porter.

• Economy Single Room

The 5th floor room I was given was a converted attic. The beams supporting the roof were at an awkward angle in the bedroom, making moving around in the difficult. Admittedly, it was an economy room.

Very good breakfast with wide choice of food.

• Economy Single Room

On my floor, some group were noisy. I think they were drinking and singing.. Also heard that tram side rooms are relatively noisy.

I arrived early, so my room (asked a quiet room) was not prepared. Front staff offered coffee in the lobby and waited for 1 hour. But yet my room was not prepared. Then, the front staff upgraded my room without any additional charge. I do appreciate the hotel staff.

• Business Double or Twin Room

Hotel interior could be more cosy.

Clean, no-fuss property in an excellent location right in front of the station in Basel. Staff is efficient and friendly.

• Business Double or Twin Room

as mentioned, breakfast was excellent and also position for short stay in Basel is perfect, trams outside the door and mainline station 100 yards away and free bus to airport across the square

Everything was great!

Firstly, the location couldn’t be better. As I was here for the Champions League game, location was important. The hotel is directly in front of the Main SBB railway station. For a first time visitor to Basel this was great - no trecking across an unfamiliar city to find a place - just a minute’s walk to check in. Couldn’t be better! The staff were friendly and always helpful. The room was just fabulous - such a comfortable bed with wonderful light fluffy duvet and pillows. I liked the fact that I could open the windows too - some hotels don’t have windows that open and I find them stuffy. A kettle is provided which I was really happy with (It meant less luggage as I usually bring a travel kettle) and there’s a table and chair to relax in as well as a lovely bureau and chair to sit at if you need to do some writing. Gorgeous wooden floor and superb shower room - mine was a walk in shower, really big (not a restrictive cubicle) and great water pressure. I loved the Yves Rocher toiletries provided - they smell divine! So, a great choice in Basel. I would not hesitate to recommend it and I would stay here again as I doubt there is anywhere better for the price.

• Business Single Room

I'd missed a small fridge in the room though, that could have been a useful thing to have.

Everybody was helpfull and willing to answer all the little questions I had, given that was my first time in the city. Great place.

• Ambiente Single Room

Very expensive! Pay for quality hotel.

Hotel staff and facilities were fantastic. Very friendly and clean. Breakfast was delightful. Location is ideal center of the city and right next to the train station and trams. Easy walk to many sites in Basel.

• Business Double or Twin Room

Perhaps provision of dinner but I might not need it overmuch.

My requirements for a stay in Basel are first, by a long way, friendly and helpful staff and the Schweizerhof appears to have these in abundance. Beside this other requirements are less relevant as I use the hotel as a base but the rooms are clean and comfortable, the facilities sufficient and the breakfast great.

• Economy Single Room

Card key did not work well, immediately had to ask renew that.

Needless to say, location is great. Cozy room. In room it was very quiet, even I heard a baby was crying in corridor. Mini-Bar is very great, I could drink water and soft drink anytime.

• Business Double or Twin Room

Great location - tram stop right out the front door, bus to the airport just a few steps away, within walking distance of city center. The staff was very friendly and extremely helpful. The room was spotless and very comfortable. Great value for the money. I highly recommend staying at the Hotel Schweizerhof Basel.

• Business Double or Twin Room

I wouldn't find a single fault in our stay with Schweizerhof. The bed was comfy, the room was spacious for my little girl to crawl around. They had prepared a nice and comfy baby bed for my daughter too. The staff were organised. The breakfast was good. The location is just great and we don't feel like we are in the centre because from inside the hotel, we don't hear the outside noise at all. Will surely go to this hotel whenever I'm in Basel. Good job!

• Business Single Room

Modern hotel, Very clean, renovated facilities and the reception staff was kind. Had just one stay so it is hard to tell if overall is excellent. Plus: it had a REAL hairdryer! One of the good ones :-)

• Business Double or Twin Room

The lobby is not reflecting of well maintained and equipped is the rest of the hotel

The hotel is well-positioned, extremely clean and functional. Hotel personnel is polite, smiling and tries to accommodate even last second requests. There is no carpet in rooms which is good for guests with respiratory problems like me. The absence of minibar is compensated by the presence of a common where bottles of water as well as juices and Coke can be taken for free.

• Business Double or Twin Room

facilities were excellent, room was clean and there was free water & soft drinks including ice . Room was quiet even though trams were just outside. Location was great for access to the Trams & city.

• Economy Single Room

Just a slight problem with noise from the trams until early hours of morning -ear plugs saved the day !!! Small price to pay for all the benefits of location .

Friendly and helpful -very good location everything needed- post office - supermarket -trams - tourist office all very close and accessible and the mobility card authorising free travel on trams and buses including bus back to airport really helpful -great breakfast -English tv -clean spacious room -perfect for one person -first visit to Basel !

• Business Double or Twin Room

Noisy at night if room faces front and window open - but because of the location close to the trains we accepted that

The pillows and comforters were like sleeping on a cloud!

• Business Single Room

They have the goose feathered cushions and blankets and no option was available to tell at reservation to change it to non allergic version. Parking is "catch as catch can", if you are lucky you park for free in front of the hotel, otherwise you can park in expensive parking house underneath.

The bed is longer then usual (210 cm) and this is great if you are taller. There is parquet in the rooms and this is good as no dusty carpet as in other hotels.

• Business Double or Twin Room

Slow check-in procedure which took 20 minutes. Receptionist did not even know which room numbers face the railway square and which one the back side of the hotel. Stupid question at check-out whether I need an invoice. Every guests should automatically receive an invoice when paying. Some of the reception staff seem to be new and inexperienced.

Location: in front of SBB railway station, can be reached easily by walking. Room: modern, choice of rooms with view on vibrant railway station or quiet rooms to the back side existing.

• Business Double or Twin Room

Our stay was not pleasant at all as the room (318 on the 3rd floor) had a terrible smell if cigarette smoke in the evening and at night and a smell of bacon in the morning. The cigarette smell was so bad, it felt as if someone was smoking in our room, which made us have a terrible night sleep. For the price and the reputation of the Schweizerhoff, we are very disappointed and won't be staying at the hotel again. We can't rate it to be family friendly as I wouldn't choose to expose my family to cigarette smoke when choosing a place to stay.

The location and the size of the room were great.

• Economy Single Room

Late check out only for an hour should be free of charge especially for the guest that arrived very late! but they want to charge 20 € per hour....

free water, soft drinks, and ice wifi was very good location is excellent

• Business Double or Twin Room

Great location close to the railway station- you don’t hear the trains! Access outside the door onto the trams so excellent connections. Rooms and service was excellent.

• Business Double or Twin Room

Could not turn up heat enough a d staff could not help. not bad, but like over 69 degrees when sitting. Breakfast very Good, but expensive

Clean, easy check In, local transit pass, 1 block from train station friendly reception

• Business Double or Twin Room

Clean, comfortable and extremely helpful staff. Great location as well, and as the tram station and main rail station are right there the free tram pass they gave us made things particularly convenient.

• Business Double or Twin Room

There was nothing about this hotel that we didn't like. It was comfortable and well maintained.

This hotel is in a perfect location for public transportation. The hotel itself couldn't have been better.

Perhaps a restaurant?

Great location for public transport- trams and train station couldn't be closer. Wonderful buffet breakfast with great service. Terrace is ideal fro a glass- or two- of prosecco! Ideal for people watching. This is the second time that I've stayed at the Schweizerhof and I know I shall be back next year.

• Business Double or Twin Room

1: Located in front of the station. By using the Basel Mobility Ticket (provided free) we could go around the city quite easily. 2: The hotel staff is quite helpful. We had some trouble with the room safe but the staff take her best effort to clear and did.

• Business Double or Twin Room

We didn't have the breakfast as the cost was prohibitive (although so is eating out anywhere in Basel!). We instead went to grab coffee and pastries at the start of our sight seeing day in the station - and it cost less than one breakfast at the hotel for all four of us.

Lovely hotel, right opposite the train station in the centre of the city - so excellent location as we arrived by train. Very traditional welcoming service. We booked two rooms - both lovely and spacious. Beds very comfy, bathroom sparkling and super charged shower. We were also given a travel card that entitled us all to jump on and off the trams / buses throughout the stay - excellent and needed way to travel around the city. We only stayed one night at the end of a road trip and were flying home the following night. We asked if we could leave our bags whilst we looked around the city - and the hotel not only let us leave all of our cases in left luggage free of charge, but gave the teenagers free ice creams on return. Great service! The free travel cards also got us back to the airport on the regular shuttle bus, free of charge.

• Business Double or Twin Room

Perfect location for us (airport bus, walking route, trams, walking distance to the old town). It was nice to observe the lively square in front of the hotel, and you couldn't really hear the trams with window closed. Everything seemed new, fresh and clean, and bathroom products had a pleasant fragrance. There were enough clothes hangers, of decent quality. We appreciated the fact that there was a well-equipped "minibar" with ice in the corridor. Long beds with super comfy covers. One of the best breakfasts I've ever had in a hotel: a variety of fresh berries and fruit, artichokes, good-quality juices, 3 sorts of croissants etc. And the free transport ticket (valid till the airport) is a great idea.

• Business Double or Twin Room

Everything was fine, staff were very helpful and friendly, the room was clean and comfortable and there is good access to the city by tram (included in the price). Parking is in a public car park and a bit expensive. This was not explained on your website. Breakfast was good but also a bit expensive.

• Business Single Room

I don't recall anything which I was unhappy with.

The facilities and breakfast were of the same standard as the more expensive hotels around the central railway station.

• Economy Single Room

Other guests making a lot of disruptive noise when coming back to their rooms at night. Computers for the use of guests could do with an update.

Excellent breakfast, comfortable bed, friendly staff.

• Business Double or Twin Room

The parking is expensive even though the hotel has an agreement with the city (23€/day instead of 50€/day)

Despite the late check-in the gentleman at the Reception was kind and helpful, he checked us in before we realised.

• Business Double or Twin Room

It is said that it's free parking, what should've been said was; limited free parking (6 or 7 spots only) so I had to go trough a maze of a parking garage and paid a good amount for the 'free' advertised parking spot

Modern room and VERY comfy bed!!

• Economy Single Room

Great place! Comfortable room, wonderful location. Room includes mobility pass to get around Basel. I left my passport in the safe in the room when I checked out and had gotten about 30 minutes away on an drive to Lucerne and then Lake Como. They called me on my cell phone to alert me to the problem. I'm so grateful for their speed in alerting me. I'll be back!

• Business Double or Twin Room

We were upgraded to a larger suite which was a nice surprise and the bathroom was huge and newly renovated. Another good touch was to have a guest 'mini bar' with coke, mineral water, iced tea, fruit juice and ice available any time for free. A good breakfast buffet was offered and we both found all of the hotel staff to be friendly and professional. I'd happily stay here again.

• Economy Single Room

A comfy chair in the bedroom would have been good. Odd light fitting on the headboard that made it hard to sit up in bed.

Pleasant and efficient staff.

• Business Single Room

The fact that the Hotel had a 9+ rating did influence my decision to make the booking, I was a bit curious why the rating was so high? After my stay, I gave it a 10!!! Either the 3 star rating is wrong (should be four!) or the price is wrong (one should pay more!). The location is great, at the Main Station, a 15minute walk to the center of the Altstadt and if you are not into walking; they throw in a free pass on all public transport while staying in the hotel. The free ice and drinks room on each floor was also a great concept, so was the voucher for an Ice-cream at the Hotel bar left on the bed (didn't make use of it). This all just shows how the Hotel management is putting in that little bit extra to make this Hotel extra odenary! Great experience!!!!I

• Business Double or Twin Room

The breakfast is a bit expensive, but really good quality so I recommend it

the place is very close to the train station, this is convenient if you travel by train

• Business Double or Twin Room

I borrowed an umbrella for the morning but, when I asked to buy one, there were no new ones, so I had no choice but to still pay SF 15.- for a "used" one. And no reduction!. A little disappointing.

• Business Single Room

The room was quiet, as I had requested. It faced a very quiet road. For me this is the most important consideration. (And fortunately other guests were considerate in the corridor, and when closing their doors!) Almost all the staff I saw were very pleasant and welcoming. The WiFi connection was very good. The location was so convenient for the station. I loved the roomy shower!

Nothing, no problems.

Excellent and varied breakfast. Quiet room. Staff very obliging to let us leave bags with them for a couple of hours after checking out of the room.

• Ambiente Single Room

The breakfast was subpar. Lots of options, but not fresh.

Phenomenal location, spotlessly clean room, and modern bathroom. Beautiful hardwood floors. The yoga mat in the room was a bonus! Loved the view from my 3rd floor balcony.

• Business Single Room

It would be good to have a small pillow in additional or rather instead of the second big one. Specially for one hotel quest - I did not need two big pillows, like for couples in one big bed - I would much more appreciate one big pillow and one small one. Then the bed would be really prepared for one. Thank you.

Hotel offers a lot more then 3 stars!!! DESIGN It has good, a bit traditional style of hotel design. BED Very good bed. PUBLIC TRANSPOTRATION BONUS I like very much free access to city&subberb public transportation. It is realy great!! Not only from financial point of view, but also because there is no need to get to know the city transportation system, no need for learning to buy a ticket. etc. I was traveling 30 minutes off the city (Goetheanum, Dornach) and the free-of-charge-card was still valid. Great gift!!!!!

• Business Double or Twin Room

their lobby coffee shop should have a bigger selection of deserts and cakes

very comfy and super clean good sized rooms . bonus was the high ceiling in the room .

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

• Economy Single Room

Lovely staff and given a free upgrade. Large room and bathroom very comfortable and free bottled water or soft drink and a travel pass for trams or buses. Loved the trams an easy way to see things

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

• Business Double or Twin Room

Location just opposite train station . Lots of Restaurants around or at hotel opens till 11pm Supermarket in train station open till 10pm 24hr room service food at normal restaurant rates. Good eye for details in room

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

• Economy Single Room

missed a mini bar, but I had a single room, perhaps it is available in double rooms.

Very clean rooms, 50m form the main station. Rooms are very clean. Very professional and friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

• Economy Single Room

Really appreciated the gratis Coca-Cola Zeros and drinking water with/without gas near to my room. Ironing board room very handy as well. Housekeeping employees are excellent: efficient and kind.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

• Business Single Room

The breakfast could be better especially taking into account the general hotel standards. More hot meals and more space for dishes. I also noticed that some meals were not available during breakfast so indeed the personnel is not checking availability of meals for next guests in timely manner.

Great location. By foot you can reach the most important places including the river, Barfüsserplatz, Rathaus etc. You have many options to travel by trains (just next to the hotel) or to the Euroairport (Bus 50). The staff is very pleasant and helpful - you can leave a bag without problems after checkout as you'll end up driving bus 50 anyway. What I like very much is the ability to eat breakfast next to the glazed terrace watching the central square. The bathroom was good equipped with Yves Rocher shower gel and other helpful cosmetics. The WiFi connection was good and stable.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

ROOM WAS SLIGHTLY TOO HOT

EXCELLENT STAFF,LOCATION OFF THE TRAIN FROM FRANCE ALSO FOR THE TRAM NEXT MORNING FOR THE AIRPORT,FREE PUBLIC TRANSPORT,FREE SOFT DRINKS AND WATER FOR YOUR ROOM USE

• Business Double or Twin Room

There was nothing that I didn't like.

Everything was perfect! From the comfort of the bed and the free minibar to the hotel location and the free travel card for moving around.

• Economy Single Room

They said on arrival that breakfast could be included but state the cost until I checked a bit overpriced

Close to tram and station ideal base to get around

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

• Economy Single Room

Mr. Wong's, the adjacent Asian restaurant seems a little tired to me these days and thusly, overpriced. That being said, I wouldn't think the hotel and restaurant are affiliated.

First and foremost, the Individualized, professionalism shown to me at all times was truly impressive. The quality and efficiency of ALL staff with whom I interacted was very good, outstanding in fact. I loved the breakfast. The quality of the food was delicious and wholesome; I especially liked the several varieties of fresh, grainy breads and the fresh fruit, especially the blueberries. The choice of foods is adequate; you don't have to eat the same things every day (unless you want to). Additionally, the breakfast staff go out of their way to serve youl The little snack bar is quite nice. The pizzas, though not very spicy, more in harmony with Swiss tastes are fine. Nice and crispy. For those of us in search of spicier pizzas; however, there is a lovely restaurant (Alte Post Restaurant) nearby around the corner, around the Hotel Victoria towards the post office in which the Afghani chef proudly makes mouthwatering pizzas served with a dish of green chilies in olive oil. Further afield (Tram 11 from SBB towards St. Louis Grenze, 8 Stops, St. Johanns--Tor), Da Gianni Pizzeria is the most recommended pizzeria. In truth, I liked the Alte Post's pizza better but the ambiance at Da Gianni is better and the staff are all Italian. Is a better-than-average 3-star hotel. I will only stay here henceforth.

• Business Double or Twin Room

Excellent bed, well-equipped (including a kettle - always a bonus!), lovely bathroom and very helpful staff. Terrific spot near the station and trams. Excellent value.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

Nothing comes to mind.

Excellent location extremely close to SBB station and many trams, but quiet in the hotel - no noise disturbance (windows closed). Room and bathroom a good size for two and plenty big enough for us for one night.Very good breakfast with plenty of fresh fruit plus normal continental selection and small cooked selection. Nice little terrace for afternoon drinks in the sun. Staff very helpful in general and in getting a ticket for an exhibiton for us. We would stay here again.

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

• Economy Single Room

The service is very, very personalized. They keep tract of your previous visits, requests and preferences and act immediately upon them. They always have substantially discounted room rates at the last minute. My rooms have always been check-in ready when I have arrived (usually early in the am). I have lived, traveled and worked in no less than sixty countries in my time, and I've found the buffet breakfast here to be the best. The very best. The staff here are bright, clean, professionally attired at all times. The quality of service and respect is second to none. It goes without saying the location is perfect, especially if you are using public transport which is so, so convenient. I have rated everything 10 simply because the rating doesn't go any higher. I have visited Basel many times, have stayed in many different accommodations but from now on, this establishment will be the only place open for consideration.

• Reviewed: 7 April 2017

• Business Double or Twin Room

The breakfast was extremely expensive so we did not partake in this service that the hotel offered.

Amazing location that was within walking distance to nearly every attraction. If you're not into walking they give you a free public transport pass for anywhere in the city on the trams and buses. Best value for my money in a European hotel yet.

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

Nothing I didn't like

The location is good near the train station the hotel is clean the rooms r spacious the staff r always smiling helpful kind and u always c the same faces.been staying there for the last 5 years one of the best in Basel

• Business Double or Twin Room

Everything was great!!! Very friendly personal, very nice breakfest, perfect location for those, who travel by train! We had a big comfortable room with balcony and even an Indoor Bike and yoga mat! :-))

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

• Business Double or Twin Room

It's so close to the basel sbb, and around the corner there's a big coop for buying bread and fruit even on sunday when most other shops are closed. The location is even more special to us as it's walking distance to some great architdcture which is our purpose of the trip.

• Reviewed: 14 January 2017

Absolutely nothing to complaint

Perfect location in front of the main station and a few steps from the airport bus stop, very good value for money, free drinks available at every floor, nice and comfortable room and bathroom, warm welcoming and smart staff, good restaurants at walking distance (I could recommend you The Steinbock for Rosti and Swiss food)

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

• Business Double or Twin Room

They are doing building work (Jan 2017) and there was a massive crane outside our window but no disruptive noise.

Great location, friendly staff and very good breakfast

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

• Business Double or Twin Room

Parking costs 23CHF per day, why not free parking?

The staff were very friendly and helpful.Smokers are catered for, in that they have a nice cosy room right next to the bar.

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

• Business Double or Twin Room

None that I can think of!

Great location next to the SBB train station, staff was friendly and helpful, free drinks from the ice room was a great bonus. Wifi was easy to get on, fast and stable. This was our second time at this hotel...!

• Reviewed: 18 December 2016

• Business Double or Twin Room

They gave free pass for all the public transportation (which means you have free access to the whole city.) Staff very helpful. Very easy to find from the airport.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

• Business Double or Twin Room

The receptionist when we arrived friday night was very unwelcoming. Regarding the comcort, we found it very annoying having 2 small duvets instead of one on a double bed, keeping falling during the night and the pillow too soft, as if we had none.

Excellent breakfast, very clean, smiles on the staff except the receptionist when we arrived. The portuguese receptionist on sunday morning was great: efficient, and very nice.

• Reviewed: 22 November 2016

• Economy Single Room

every thing was absolutely fine but the breakfast did not live up to its description in the hotel notes. I would describe it as good and fairly standard for this sort of hotel. Nothing to remember and nothing to complain about. Mr wong's the restaurant on the hotel premises but not part of the hotel was adequate but would not recommend particularly unless you are looking for a relatively cheap gut filler.

location was great for an evening arrival from plane and an early departure by train. I even managed to fit in a quick look round town though the hotel is a bit of a walk from the centre. all the staff were lovely. room was very business like.