Reviews of Hyperion Hotel Basel 5 stars

Messeplatz 12, 4058 Basel, Switzerland

#14 of 62 hotels in Basel

• Reviewed: 20 October 2018

The breakfast was incredible.
    • Comfort Queen Room

The room could be a bit larger.

The breakfast was incredible. I travel a lot within Europe for work-related purposes and had bad experiences with Swiss hotels when it came to breakfast. This one had an incredibly rich breakfast buffet like in German hotels. The location is also very good. It's not the the heart of the historical city center but has a tram stop in front of it and one can reach anywhere easily. It think I have finally found my hotel in Basel for the next time I'll travel there again.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

Modern and comfy
    • Comfort King Room

The big windows are beautiful but get incredibly hot. Make sure to ask for two room keys so you can leave one in to keep the AC running and/or pull the curtains when you are out to keep the hot air in-between the window and the curtain.

Thumbs up for the excellent choice at the quality breakfast buffet (there is even Prosecco)! The staff is extremely friendly and was very helpful with making sure our toddler was well. Since the hotel was not full, we also got a free upgrade, despite having taken a last-minute deal.

• Reviewed: 14 October 2018

Convenient base for exploring Basel
    • Comfort Queen Room

Excellent hotel for our one night, it's conveniently located providing a base from which to walk around Basel. Staff were friendly and professional. It's a large hotel that appears to be well set up to accommodate large numbers of guests for conferences etc, yet didn't feel too impersonal despite this. Great breakfast buffet.

• Reviewed: 10 October 2018

Breakfast staff was nice.
    • Comfort Queen Room

Receptionist doesn’t know how to work. Asked extra money when our room should be better what they were offering!!! She said nice view, yep buildings, like factory? Breakfast without salad!

Breakfast staff was nice.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2018

classy way to stay in Basel
    • Comfort King Room

Prosecco was fine but the Latte macchiato straight out of the machine was a tad bit on the cold side. An in room kettle for tea would have been nice too, I don't like to use the Nespresso machine for that. The rough cord fabric of the blanket took a moment to get used to, but that's criticism on a very high level.

Prosecco for breakfast, that was a first. All in all, a tightly run outfit with nothing to complain about. Starting with the large courtyard of the trade fair building, the hotel gives you a hint of that New York skyscraper feeling, like you were residing in a mega city (minus the smog and poverty). The room was quiet, the bed was comfortable, the interior design was simple and elegant.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

Excelent place to stay.
    • Comfort Queen Room

No hotel slippers, you can live without them but it would be nice to have.

Great stay with spacious double bed, clean room and bathroom. Great staff and attention to detail. The mini bar was free and there were also free tea and coffee in the room- nice touch from management. Definitely recommend staying here.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

The best place to stay in Basel
    • Comfort Queen Room

The hotel was conveniently located, close to our convention venue and accessible to the center of town. The hotel room was well appointed and the bed was very comfortable. The manager, Marius, and the front desk, especially Ms Sophie, were very accommodating and courteous! A really nice place to stay in when your in Basel.

A new interesting choice for accomodation in Switzerland
    • Comfort King Room

The staff works at its best, nevertheless, more employees would be needed. This is a management problem, of course. We had problems in finding the minibar, hidden behind a supermodern furniture. So we complained about missing bathrobes that probably were hidden in the wardrobe that we didn't find!!

All the staff is incredibly helpful and kind, including valet parking. The rooms are modern and comfortable. Breakfast excellent. Perfect connection with the public transportation. You can well forget about your car during the stay.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

The room is fine, maybe it is not so big but stylish and...
    • Business Room with Lounge Access

There is was a little bit complicated with parking because of the road reconstruction around hotel, but I was giving the car key to reception and they parked the car

The room is fine, maybe it is not so big but stylish and modern. Here is very nice lounge on 30th floor. The bar in the lobby is good as well.

Clean and Modern hotel with adequate services.
    • Comfort Queen Room

The rooms were very small and the pillar in the middle of the room interrupted the view and made the room (which was all ready very small) feel even more claustrophobic.

Clean and Modern hotel with adequate services. Access was easy via tram or a short walk from the train station. The rooms had good views.

Just brilliant!

It was all brilliant.

Fabulous, well designed rooms with a complementary minibar. Comfy beds, brilliant panoramic views, and great transport links virtually to the door. All free!

comfortable business hotel
    • Comfort Queen Room

this is a business hotel and it may come across a little impersonal. staff could pay more attention to the details (for example, the floor was very dirty in the breakfast restaurant, but nobody seemed to care).

newly refurbished, extra quiet rooms with very comfortable beds. free minibar and coffee in the room are a plus. great views from the upper floors of the hotel.

All was very good, super impressed with all aspects of this...
    • Comfort Queen Room

All was very good, super impressed with all aspects of this hotel and would happily recommend it. There was a huge breakfast spread with everything you could imagine.

Very good!
    • Comfort Queen Room

Really stylish hotel in a great location. The room was really nice with excellent facilities, bonus to have mini bar contents included in cost. The lights under the bed are a nice touch, though they didn’t work in our second room. Enjoyed the city view from the bed which had a really comfortable mattress and bedding, we had a very good night sleep here.

Comfortable and clean, friendly staff and exceptionally good location.
    • Comfort Queen Room

It would be really good to have some instructions in English for things. I was not given a bath mat on one occasion and would certainly have appreciated 2 bath towels, not just one and a hand towel.

The reception staff were very helpful and pleasant. The location was excellent. Great the mini bar was without charge and its funny how you never use it all, even so!

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

An excellent facility with everything you need
    • Comfort Queen Room

The staff is incredibly helpful. In addition to attending a conference I hosted a business meeting and the staff for the business center were awesome, the costs were very reasonable and the facilities were among the best I have experienced anywhere. Having items in the mini fridge that were free and were replaced as consumed was amazing.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Cody elegant hotel
    • Comfort Queen Room

There are no sweets variety as part of the breakfast menu

Comfortable beds. Very helpful staff. Good location near the congress and 15 min walk to old Town. Let's of tram stations are also close.

The views from the hotel.
    • Suite

Old building I booked a suite and when I arrived I found out that they gave it to someone else. And tried to compensate us. Finally we compromised with them.

The views from the hotel.

Very good place to stay, enjoy and rest
    • Comfort Queen Room

We found our room toilet unflushed. Although they changed our room immediately, I wonder what if there were not signs of dirtiness? Also I would have expected at least a courtesy cocktail to apologize for the disgusting moment.

People were extreme friendly. Views are amazing. Location is perfect. We got city tickets as courtesy, so important to reduce our time understanding transport rules.

It was “okay”
    • Comfort Queen Room

The fact that no one bothered to help me with my bags. I had my son with me.. he was 9 at the time. The elevator didn’t work properly.... it wouldn’t work at all. The maintenance person (person cleaning) was the one that helped me with my bags and the elevators. I say elevators because you have to change at 1. It sounds easy when they tell you to change at level 1. It’s not easy when you’re lost in a maze. Thanks to the maintenance person, he helped us get thru it.

The hotel was clean and convenient. Some of the staff were very helpful and others were not so. They were friendly, but there’s a different between being helpful and being friendly/nice. When you want help, don’t anticipate you will get it. If you want helpful...then sometimes it’s better to ask someone on the street. You might just get both nice and helpful. At least that’s what happened to me. I ended up asking people on the street.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

Good and bad!
    • Comfort Queen Room

The toilet although clean was not properly sealed at the wall and emitted an unpleasant sewage odour that spread into the room even when the toilet had not been used for several hours. Staff said they had fixed the problem but it was exactly the same.

Great bed and generally comfortable room. Good location.

Lovely hotel
    • Comfort Queen Room

One of the saunas was working on the first day, but closed the next day. I didn't ask why, because we were about to leave in an hour anyway, but according to the schedule it was supposed to be open.

Amazing hotel in a perfect location (8 minutes walking distance to historic center). The room was great and we had a wonderful view over the city. Everything was good: the room, the bathroom, the restaurant, the breakfast, the bar in the lobby. We were very pleased to stay here and we would come back for sure. We traveled on vacation, but it was easy to notice this is a great hotel for business as well.

Location to my purposes of this business travel.
    • Comfort Queen Room

Despite of being discounted, the room was smaller than expected although was sophisticated enough to be enough for this visit.

Location to my purposes of this business travel. Breakfast was really good. Room was very modern and adaptable.

Nice hotel with few mankos
    • Comfort Queen Room

No possibility to open windows, reception/lobby and restaurant area not very comfortable (big hall)

Very nice breakfast, nice view from the room, clean

WOW....the hotel of the future...just great
    • Superior King Room

The lift system is intriguing but not performing perfectly ( my opinion )

Great contemporary hotel....charmimg staff at the front desk and restaurant Just great

A room with a view in the heart of Basel
    • Comfort Queen Room

We arrived by bycycle and the reception team made us feel really welcome and had water brought out to get us refreshed. At breakfast we were given the royal treatment, by the team running the breakfast service. And on our departure, the reception team were really friendly and warm, cannot fault any of the staff we met they were really considerate and friendly.

Great one night stay with lovely views of Basel from our...
    • Comfort King Room

Great one night stay with lovely views of Basel from our hotel room, very nice&friendly staff and a delicious breakfast. We definitely enjoyed our anniversary stay at Hyperion, aircon was working perfectly in our room and for drinks& some dancing you can stop at Bar Rouge conviniently located in the same building.

One of the main reasons I booked this hotel was that it...
    • Comfort Queen Room

One of the main reasons I booked this hotel was that it offered a shuttle service to airport. As I was leaving at 4 am I booked the shuttle only to find out they had booked me a taxi at a cost of CHF42 . Also they asked me to pay the city tax when I was leaving even though this shows on my booking congas already paid .

The staff were supportive at check-in.
    • Comfort Queen Room

My check-in experience. It was the second week in a row that Booking.com messed up my bookings. When we arrived at the hotel there is no booking for us, although I had booked it nearly three weeks in advance. Luckily it was not busy and the staff did all they could to help us. So, if you book the hotel make sure you contact them directly to ensure your booking has been passed to them.

The staff were supportive at check-in. The room was big and the bed very comfortable. Also, there is a great bar on the top of the building with amazing cocktails and music.

Modern layout - lobby being renovated, yet guests are...
    • Comfort Queen Room

Modern layout - lobby being renovated, yet guests are accommodated. The biggest highlight is the shower facilities. Staff remembers regular guests and accommodates needs.

Great location, yet an uninspiring convention center hotel.
    • Comfort Queen Room

One of those uninspired convention hotels that trades off its location. The staff know it, the guests know it, the hotel knows it. It's functional, and that's it.

Good bed and great location. Breakfast is super.

Nice hotel in the city center.
    • Comfort Queen Room

Parking possible only cross street in public parking lot (30 CHF/night). Hotel was under reconstruction during our visit.

Nice hotel in the city center. View from hotel room was great. Free wifi. Good breakfast. You will get free public transport ticket valid for the whole stay!

Sensational Brilliant Comfortable Relaxing no 1.🥇
    • Comfort Queen Room

Nothing there was not one thing wrong with anything 👍

The hotel was without doubt the best hotel we have stayed in over the last month on our European trip and probably in the top 3 I have ever been in anywhere in the world it is just brilliant

The hotel met all of my expectations!
    • Comfort Queen Room

Perfectly satisfied. The location was not perfect BUT the BaselCard and the ease of the trams made it all so easy that location was really not a problem at all.

Very comfortable bed. The lighting was both function and attractive. The wall graphics were lovely.

GREAT
    • Comfort Queen Room

Location from the city center. If your main objectives are to visit city center, it is a bit far and you may need to take trams.

Breakfast was fantastic - western buffet style but a lot of varieties. Very neat and modern hotel with spectacular views. In addition the Basel card was granted to us (I assume to all the guests) and was very useful allowing us to take trams in Basel for free.

I didn't like the fact that they didn't provide...
    • Comfort Queen Room

I didn't like the fact that they didn't provide clients with free parking and that they told us to pay more for the parking than in the end we should pay

Fantastic Breakfast!
    • Comfort Queen Room

The parking situation and the cost of the parking

The breakfast was absolutely amazing and the staff was very helpful and friendly! I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Great breakfast and lovely rooms a very good deal price
    • Comfort Queen Room

There were some renovations going on in foyer but this did not disturb us at all. It just felt like there was little ambience in the hotel. Our safe and phone didn’t work but the staff were great at sorting it out even offering a room change.

The hotel price was great as it was a very quiet weekend so very empty but the staff were so helpful and cheerful

Great hotel that is centrally situated.
    • Comfort Queen Room

We were not informed that the mini bar was hidden behind a sliding door and that the items very complimentary. We only discovered that when they arrived to replenish the mini bar.

Upon our arrival at the hotel we were greeted in a very friendly way by Lucy at reception. Despite arriving early she said that it presented no problem and even provided us with an upgrade to a suite with a good view on the 11th floor. They provided us with free public transport tickets that were valid for the days we stayed there as well as a map of the area. The Hotel was centrally situated that enabled us to walk to most attractions. For places a bit further away we could make use of the tams that past right in front of the hotel at regular intervals. The items in our mini bar were all complimentary.

Good hotel
    • Comfort Queen Room

Room was very small - eg., small that a side bed unti doesnt fit on one side of bed. The lobby bar was closed down for refurb - but at L3, if you dont spend 31CHF on full breakfast before 1030 you cannot get a criossant or light bite to eat. L3 bar only provides drinks/coffee. why not offer continental breakfast at the L3 Bar, or pastries to eat with a coffee whilst there is no choice in Lobby cafe anymore.

Staff always professional Tram stop right outside hotel means easy transport into old twon, or SBB or anywhere in Basel. also enough range of restaurants nearby within walk distance. Clean room, nice decor and functional.

Had a great time, thanks to the amazing staff that looked after us very well.
    • Comfort King Room

Nothing really. All was in good order.

Great view of the city, modern facilities that included a nice lighting system. The breakfast was full of variety, the nice chef and the staff offered complimentary dishes which made our day. Good set of cable channels on the TV kept us entertained while we were there.

The staff were brilliant.
    • Comfort Queen Room

The staff were brilliant. The breakfast was brilliant. The rooms were state of the art in respect to their fittings and presentation. I loved the speaker in the bathroom so I could continue to listen to the news whilst shaving. I will be staying here again on my next trip to Basel.

Laura, one of the bar girls, was fabulous and very friendly.
    • Comfort Queen Room

Laura, one of the bar girls, was fabulous and very friendly. Her customer service skills were exceptional and I hope the management team will recognize her talent.

Comfortable hotel very close to city centre at a good price with lovely staff
    • Comfort Queen Room

Found the room really tight even though it was at a decent price (smaller than a british travelodge or Premier in double room) .. There was a structural pillar in the corner which made it feel even tighter. The desk was small and therefore cluttered, there wasn't much room for things other than what was provided by the hotel e.g. Glasses, telephone etc. Also didn't like that there were no double duvets available, we had to use two single duvets which felt a bit strange.. There weren't any spare pillows in the room but I'm sure this could have been arranged if I needed it as the staff were helpful.

Clean hotel and nice helpful staff. The receptionist took his time to explain where is what in the city and what transport to use. Bathroom and shower was great. Even the shower gels and shampoo smelled great! Room was warm (adjustable our liking) and had an ok view towards the rear of the city.

Not totally bad but also not exciting Overpriced mid level hotel. Will try something else next time.
    • Superior King Room

They don’t clean the rooms daily which I'd expect. You can feel unpleasant smell when you enter in.

The location is good. City view from the room (if you get higher floor room) is beatiful.

Great location with local transportation olmost in front of...
    • Comfort King Room

Great location with local transportation olmost in front of the dor. Free ticket for lokal transportation. The rooms very modern. Breakfast was just great and the staff very professional and caring. This hotel is great value comparing to other swiss hotels. I will be back soon with my family.

Perfect night in basel
    • Comfort King Room

The room was Perfect with a lot of new technology... The location was just next to the city center and the hôtel give you a pass for Free city transport... We love the breakfast with a lot of different things to enjoy... We ll sure go back to this place if we travel to basel...

Absolute Recommendation
    • Comfort Queen Room

Excellent location, recently renovated hotel, friendly and very helpful stuff, comfortable bed, superb cleanness...Basel card for free public transportation and discounted museum tickets...and really amazing traditional carnival route just few steps from the hotel!

Highly recommend this hotel especially if you want to see the beautiful view of Basel City
    • Comfort Queen Room

Truly pleasant stay. Staff were super helpful. Had a room with a view of a building site so requested to change rooms. The staff was apologetic and moved me to a room with the view of the beautiful Basel city. The room was clean and comfortable. I would stay here again.

Comfy room with great views and location
    • Comfort Queen Room

- basic Queen room's view is covered by support pillar and TV (I would recommend removing the tv, or placing it over the pillar), I've upgraded next day - hotel rooms goes up until 14 floor, if you take the city view, Messe might take half of the view as it's quite high too - suggestion: lights a bit too close to windows in the lounge, reflects over the glass heavily - not sure if you can improve that - air condition always on, nature of the building - not openable windows - maybe on lower floors is different

- super friendly and helpful staff - nice clean room, great view, even with TV in the middle (why?!) - 30 floor executive lounge access included into upgraded room, great view, there was never anyone else there (plus/minus) - fast elevators - Messe has great communication with whole city

Great stay in the city of art
    • Business Room with Lounge Access

I would arrange live music in the reception at least once a weak and changed the one which is being played.

Extremely comfortable bed, amazing view and lighting. High quality room facilities, but the best surprise of all was a coffee maker! Highly recommended.

Great Modern Hotel, very good restaurant.

Breakfast is expesive. 31.- per person

View was beautiful from the suite. Very modern Quiet Same building you have a very good restaurant and Bar Rouge Great Bar personal

Gernally its nice, service can be improved.
    • Comfort Queen Room

I don’t understand why they put a fixed tv right in the middle of the glass window to disturb the view. And i did wait too long for checking in, even try five six times with the card payment but still failed even when there is sufficient balance within...

The breakfast is fine. Room is also nice with modern facilities. The view is fantastic.

Fantat
    • Comfort Queen Room

There was nothing we didn't like. The location is a 1km from the centre but with a tram stop right outside and free transport round the city this wouldn't be an issue for anyone.

From when we walked into reception the whole experience was fantastic. The staff were helpful and informative and the little extra touches like a teddy for my 3 year old granddaughter and local cherry schnapps for the adults were much appreciated. The rooms were spotless with very comfortable beds, and fantastic showers and electronic room controls for heating, lighting and operating the blinds. Breakfast is buffet style, constantly refreshed and has over 50 options, so satisfied even the smallest member of the family. We will definitely be back.

Stay was way overpriced, wouldn't go there again
    • Comfort Queen Room

The TV is mounted exactly in front of the window and completely covers the view. The sheets had stains on them. The staff didn't inform us that they will call the hotel transfer instead of a taxi, who completely ripped us off.

The view

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

Frankly the nicest Shi staff and the beautiful treatment

Frankly the nicest Shi staff and the beautiful treatment

• Reviewed: 14 October 2018

Superb
    • Comfort King Room

The room is very clean. Breakfast offers a wide variety of delicious choice. Value for money.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2018

• Reviewed: 6 October 2018

The services and hospitality was really great.
    • Comfort Queen Room

The size of the standard queen room could be bigger but this is the least concern.

The services and hospitality was really great.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

• Business Room with Lounge Access

Sterile environment, breakfast buffet poor, over-priced, gym ill-equipped

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

The rooms and the location are very perfect , the staff was...

Parking is expensive

The rooms and the location are very perfect , the staff was really helpful

• Reviewed: 28 September 2018

The rooms are stunning and very clean.
    • Superior King Room

The rooms are stunning and very clean. The breakfast is amazing.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2018

Breakfast was nice enough, room was clean, shower was good
    • Comfort Queen Room

Fridge didn't work but I guess warm beer is better than no beer!

Breakfast was nice enough, room was clean, shower was good

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

Tram is very convinient
    • Suite

Tram is very convinient

Nice prices for the place it is.
    • Comfort Queen Room

No provate parking place. Prices of parkings around are very expensive.

Nice prices for the place it is.

Excellent location to move around Basel.
    • Comfort Queen Room

Excellent location to move around Basel. The room is very comfortable. And the view from the room is so soothing, specially at night.

It exceeded my expectations in every respect.
    • Comfort Queen Room

The proximity to public transportation.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

A modern hotel, ideal price on weekends

everything

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Very comfortable stay
    • Comfort King Room

Convenient to the Congress. Clean and very comfortable. Free drinks from the room bar. Had a wonderful view

Decoration

Decoration Technology Location

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Very nice new hotel with contemporary design, good location,...

Rooms are a bit small

Very nice new hotel with contemporary design, good location, good breakfast..

Great service and location.
    • Comfort Queen Room

The Spa-Area was closed for maintenance.

Great service and location. Great view from the hotel room.

mini bar is free

space is small

mini bar is free

A good use of time.

Everything .

Great hotel near Messe
    • Comfort King Room

Room view of the town from 13th floor. Great bar at the top. Excellent breakfast. Not far from center. Free tram ticket.

Browse Hyperion Hotel Basel traveller photo gallery