Reviews of Hostal Rio Amazonas

Av. Vicuña Mackenna 47 , Santiago City Centre, 6500100 Santiago, Chile

Based on 790 B&B reviews

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

Highly recommended, beautiful, peaceful home-away-from home!

The first time I went to my room I actually got lost as there are many halls (short ones), but turning here and there - en fin, a bit confusing. I would suggest marking your way with bits of paper in key corners! :)

I chose a private room for the end of a long trip and I was very pleased with everything. The room was spacious, quiet, had a good, hot shower, and the heating came on in the late afternoon and morning. There were colorful paintings in the room and elsewhere in the hostel, some of which were painted by the family members who own it. The bed(s) were comfy. The whole staff was always friendly, helpful and responded to every need immediately. The breakfast was abundant, healthy and served in a pleasant dining room which encouraged guests to interact with each other. My whole experience left me with the impression that everyone working there did everything with heart and soul. Many thanks to all of you for making my last stay of my 2.5-month trip in South America so comfortable and memorable!

Three day stay to explore Santiago

Some noises during the night/mornings

Very friendly staff Nice interior Good Wi-Fi Breakfast OK (no buffet) The hostal replied very fast on our email to arrange a airport transfer ( 20,000 clp) The hostal arranged a day trip, everything is well organized.

Super lovely hostel

Loved my single room!! Clean toilet and towels Friendly and nice staff, helped organise transport to airport, advice on Valparaíso Can use internet on desktop at reception Good wifi signal Nice breakfast Good location - near metro, walkable to San Cristóbal, walking tours meeting point

Staff is really nice, good breakfast.

I didn't find the room really cosy for the price, probably because I was used to much better in Peru for that price.

Staff is really nice, good breakfast.

Lovely friendly hostel in good location with excellent breakfasts.

One of the rooms was a bit cold and there wasn’t too much help looking into that for us.

Really delicious breakfasts with home made yoghurts and jams. It’s good that you can buy a light evening meal for those days when you're tired after sight-seeing and don’t want to go out again. Very friendly and helpful staff. Beautiful old building with lots of interesting features. Close to Baquedano metro station and easy to get across the river to the Bellavista area. We liked it so much that we booked again for our last night in Santiago - no need to look for anything better!

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

Location is very good and the staff is friendly.

The breakfast could be a bit better. Also the ventilation could be cleaner. It is full of dust in the room I stayed in the bathroom.

Location is very good and the staff is friendly.

Confortable and beautiful

I noticed there were more "advanced age people" on the hostel than young people. It was not a problem for me, cause I was there for just one night, but definitely it is not a place for you if you are looking for having some fun and meet cool young people. The breakfast is served to you, you don't serve yourself. I particularly would rather if I could take whatever I want instead of telling a person if I want milk, coffee and everything...

The hostel is super well decorated, you can spend hours looking at the paints on the walls, the draws, maps and pictures of Chile. I was amazed with that! The room is very confortable, nice shower and heat system works perfectly. They also have a kind dog on the place.

I was able to explore Santiago without any problems as this hostal is close to the metro.

It's a beautiful former manner house and thus gives the Hostal Amazones lots of atmosphere. The staff, the setting, the location, and the breakfast were all excellent.

Location was fantastic

Bathroom was cramped and hotel pickup service didn't arrive for shuttle to airport. They were very good in resolving this for me however.

Location was fantastic

Perfect place to stay in Santiago.

Perfect location near to all the major attractions. The staff was very nice arranging our transfer to and from the airport. They also gave us all the usefull tips to enjoy the city. The breakfast was great.

I would definitely stay whenever I'm back in Santiago

Floors creaking (from your own bedroom and from upstairs). So if you need to tidy things up in the small hours, you might want to walk on eggshells so that you won't disturb a possible neighbor below you). And also if you don't sleep like a log, Vicuña Mackenna is also a bit noisy (but not like other cities or other busier parts of Santiago itself). Shower had no curtains, so you'd have to dry the floor frequently. One bonus comment, if I may: Breakfast was super delicious and fresh... But the first night I told the staff that I would depart at 5AM or so for a trekking and they told me that there would be something for me to have so that I didn't have to leave on empty stomach. But the same guy that helped me with Uber, said that they don't usually prepare anything, so he was very kind and offered me yogurt and to heat some buns... That's okay, I really understand... BUT during normal business hours, they don't have a buffet, so little by little they bring you the basic AND you have to keep asking for more... and even though the room is not crowded at all, the employees that supply you the food (they are not waiters per se) always seem to be in a hurry, so if YOU ARE as well, you might have to go without being satisfied... So my top tip is to make sure you have plenty of time to enjoy breakfast (or let them know you're on a tight schedule)

Since they call themselves a Hostel, it's easy to keep your expectations low, but you shouldn't since it is basically a Hotel... (I saw no shared rooms or bathrooms, so you don't need to worry about privacy, etc). Location is superb: walking distance from the Metro and right when you are reaching Amazonas, there are officers outside the Argentinian Embassy that might make you feel safer (I walked back and forth alone at night and had no issues at all). I was glad that the staff was patient with me getting used to Spanish (my mother tongue is Portuguese -which would makes it easier to develop it, IF it wasn't for my insecurity of always thinking it is a false-friend or an Italian word > which is my Latin foreign language priority), but with their support I eventually made it through the first traveling week (kinda avoiding English on purpose), including a hand that I much appreciated: I was having a hard time calling an Uber with my Chilean SIM Card and the night gentleman offered his and kept trying even after 3 or 4 drivers refused to take me far away before daylight. Thumbs UP then! I loved the fact that I had a balcony and that I could shut it entirely for a proper night's sleep.

Great friendly place

Great place to stay. I would happily stay here again if I ever return to Santiago. The staff were super friendly and helpful. Bed was comfy. The place itself is nice with window shutters and wooden floors. Breakfast was fab - homemade yoghurt and jam!! Also there is a lovely dog! Location is good - easy walk to the metro, restaurant/bar areas and main tourist attractions.

Great, quirky hostel near the centre of Santiago.

Great, quirky hostel near the centre of Santiago. Easy walking distance to lots of places and the staff were very helpful and informative. Great breakfast.

Highly recommended; would booked with them again!

No real complaints of importance. Only minor note comes to mind is that if you happen to be a big person, the shower size space was a bit tight and i could imagine a larger person having a hard time from keeping the rest of the bathroom dry. :/

Great little but comfortable room. Perfect size for solo traveler like myself. Staff was super responsive and always available to help. I was sick when I arrived and they made sure that if I needed anything that they were there. They booked my taxi and airport transport and provided local sightseeing information. Breakfast was pretty decent too! They also have a small bar and simple foods(sandwiches, soup, salads, etc.) onsite available to order until 9:30pm. Convenient if you're too weak like I was to venture outside. Their website was very helpful with info on how to get to the hostel. Location is very central and nice walking distance to restaurants, shops, metro station, park and sightseeing highlights. Took the metro from the bus terminal.

I loved everything, it was one of the best hotel ever, I...

I loved everything, it was one of the best hotel ever, I travel a lot, but this hostel is the best I have been stay!!!The stuff is great and helpful, the location is the best in Santiago, clean, beautiful, cute and loved the decoration, amazing breakfast, can't complain about anything, thank you so much Rio Amazonas 👌💚😘

Best choice in the center of Santiago

Due to the house structure - what also makes it a nice place to stay - you can hear the wooden floors of other rooms quiek and doors banging.

This place has so much charm and the owners and staff do their utmost to provide information and to let you feel at home! The breakfast has even a choice of homemade yoghurt. Between 3 interesting neighborhoods and near a metro station it is conveniently located but the immediate surroundings are rather big drive through avenues. Visit for sure the Violetta Parra museum, just 2 houses farther! next door is the Argentinian embassy with a 24 hour guard and the neighborhood feels very safe in general!

Excellent stay - will be back.

The staff are super accommodating and friendly, very helpful. The rooms are really clean and the building is novel and interesting. It doesn’t feel much like a Hostal. Great location.

We liked the central location of the hostal.

You may need to keep the window close all the time to get rid off the street noise.The storage options were very limited (there was no wardrobe). Also, in the bathroom, there was no drain in the floor.

We liked the central location of the hostal. It was easy for us to get to the main neighborhoods of Santiago. The personnel was very kind and gave us a lot of useful information. Also, they helped us with airport shuttle. We served the usual Chilean breakfast. As you may know, it is very frugal, but this one was rich and varied. The hostal is very colorful and nicely decorated. Our room was quite small, but cozy. The Wi-Fi worked properly. The cleaning was made every day.

Awesome in every way!

Visit was too short, need more than 5 days to visit Santiago

The place is sweet, the people are awesome, great breakfast, location is perfect i.e. a few blocks walking distance to Bellavista for shopping, restaurants, etc.

cozy triple room for short stay, worth the value.
    • Triple Family Room

no AC, no elevator, no closet, no jacket hanger, did not see shampoo and conditioner.

fresh fruits, hot milk, steam egg, and home-made yogurt in breakfast. there is a water kettle that everyone can use in 24 hrs. 24 hrs reception. Nice staff there! international postcard mail service.

Great start to my holiday.

I have stayed at this hostal many times over the years and I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else when in Santiago. My room was comfortable and clean and the breakfast was lovely. The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. The location is also perfect.

A great place to stay!

The breakfast in the hostel is very poor and humble!!

The location of the hostel is excellent very near subway crossing station! Some people of the staff speaks a good English!!

Comfy, clean and well located oasis with a very good value for money

Be aware, we experienced Santiago to be very dry, hot, a bit smelly and last but not least very loud - so this hostal is like a small oasis within a noisy city. Pay cash or in USD with credit card to avoid an extra tax charge.

Awesome home away from home opportunity for New Year's! Try the home cooked food they offer. The hostal is very well located close to Placa de Italia and a good starting point to explore the highlights of Santiago. We had a spotless clean double room and enjoyed the mostly selfmade products for breakfast. If you need transportation, there is a Metro station next door or the hostal staff will arrange something for you (e.g. airport transfer). Summary: excellent value for money, friendly staff, safe neighbourhood, tidy rooms.

A great find in Santiago

A really great welcome, I felt immediately at home there and found the staff incredibly friendly and really helpful. I enjoyed very interesting conversations with other travellers too. Fabian, the owner and his staff were generous hosts on New Year's Eve, providing food and pisco sours to guests and leading a group out to see the city fireworks display Hostal Rio Amazonas is a gem among hostels! Very well managed, it takes a genuine interest in people to create a vibe as sympathetic as this. A fascinating old house too.

Well located characterful property

The bathroom was tiny - given its an old character property, it didn't have the comfort or mod-cons you might expect from a hotel in this price range

Well located characterful hotel. Staff were very friendly and helpful and breakfast in the courtyard was very nice too. Would recommend

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

Central location, loads of charm, friendly staff & GREAT value!

This hostel in the heart of Santiago was great value. Full of character, art, textiles, colour & charm. The staff were friendly & most helpful with all our questions & requests. The breakfast was included in the room rate & a great start to our day. Hot meals were available too & very tasty & reasonably priced. The bar served a great pisco sour, as well as a coffee or cold drink when you really needed one. 5 star hotels are pretty similar the world over, but this place, though not luxurious or fancy, had loads of unique charm. Well worth a stay! Would go back for sure :)

Great hotel with backpacker vibe

The room was a bit small and there was quite some noise from the street.

The staff was very nice and helpful. I liked having a large communal area downstairs.

Location, building and staff and value for money all...

My only criticism/warning would be that the shower was quite small. I am pretty normal build and if I tried to enter head on my shoulders are too wide for the door so I had to enter sideways and it is a straight down crouch to pick up the soap if it falls. Apart from this, perfecto.

Location, building and staff and value for money all excellent. I was put up before this at the Crown Plaza around the corner and the breakfast was simpler but 10x better at Amazonas. I am a fan of the principle of minimal hotels as I think it is a waste to have huge rooms with all kinds of amenities when I like to spend my time in the locale and not sit watching TV. This fit the bill excellently.

Friendly oasis in great location in Santiago

Not there isn't a lift so need to use stairs for luggage etc. Not a big deal but to be aware.

Friendly, personable, very welcoming and comfortable accommodation centrally located within 5 / 10 min walk of Baquedano metro the sights, restaurants and bars in Bellavista and Lastarria. Single rooms are very compact, however, the double rooms upstairs have more space and light. Breakfast was very generous with fresh (yes, fresh) juice, natural or sweetened yoghurt, fruit, bread, jam plus soft / hard boiled eggs. All the staff, especially the women at reception and in the kitchen were lovely and very helpful. Also a very nice gift shop next door selling locally made arts and crafts unlike many of the souvenir shops in Chile.

It was our second stay within 12 months. It is a nice and friendly place, centrally located.

The bathroom was clean but a bit oldfashioned.

Breakfast is really good with home made joghurt and fresh fruits. There is also a small restaurant if you arrive hungry in the evening. The hostal is very close to the metro station and the student area with a large choice of restaurants and bars. Staff is very helpfull if you need information or transport.

Very hotel in a good location

The bathroom was a little small.

Good location, 5 minutes walk from a Metro station and 10 minutes from plenty of dining options in the Bellavista district. It takes 30 minutes to walk to the city's main plaza. Well organised, the breakfast was good, while the common areas had a warm cozy decor.

The breakfast is just amazing.

The breakfast is just amazing. Self made yoghurt, self made marmelade... The hostal is placed just 5min walk to the nightlife neighborhoods but very quite. We loved it!

Bedding was warm.

Bedding was warm. Overall cleanliness was acceptable for a hostel. Location was great- close to main centre but not loud at night. Staff extremely helpful and friendly

Very nice staff, definitely the best thing.

Very nice staff, definitely the best thing. They will help you with everything. Prices are higher in Santiago and Chile compared to other South America destinations, but this hostal is good value for money, if you have realistic expectations.

This was one of loveliest hostels we had stayed in Chile.

The kitchen communal fridge is way too small for a hostel this size. Its an old building so the floors creak so if your not on the top floor then you can hear the squeaky boards from the room above. Request a room on the top floor if you don't want to be woken or kept awake by squeaky floorboards!

This was one of loveliest hostels we had stayed in Chile. I love the castle character of the place, the rooms was lovely. I really liked the downstairs area with the bar and outside courtyard. The staff was helpful and lovely to deal with. Breakfast was plentiful and tasty. The hostel is walking distance subway station, restaurants, bars and shops. WiFi was quick and reliable.

Had a great rest at a nice, quiet garden-like facility!

The shower stall size is quite limited, even for a normal or undersized person!

The general ambience and quietness of the place, very clean and comfortable room (albeit a bit small), very good quality breakfast vs other hostels I have stayed at in Chile & Argentina, and exceptionally friendly/helpful staff members who spoke very good English in addition to their native Spanish. I requested a much later than normal checkout time to allow for an afternoon snooze prior to a long overnight international flight; this was easily granted with a very reasonable prorated charge for the extra partial day's stay.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

Lovely friendly staff, great breakfast and very near metro

Staff lovely and so helpful. I had my phone stolen and they couldn't have helped more, making some calls for me and even coming to the police station with me :)

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

Great location, wonderful staff

Front rooms can be noisy at night.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Very reasonably priced. Stayed here 2 times - before going to Patagonia and upon our return to Santiago. Highly recommend.

• Reviewed: 26 March 2017

A really enjoyable stay. A great place from which to get to know Santuago

The hotel is a renovated mansion, so it can be a bit noisy as people move around at nights.

A relaxing and welcoming place - staff couldn't be nicer. Easy access to the city, but far enough away to be relaxing.

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

Super helpful staff

Staff were super accommodating and helpful! Always helping us with suggestions on where to go and what to see! They even helped out with an early 4am breakfast when we had to leave early for a flight! Delicious home made yogurt from the hoste owners was amazing! :)

Great location close to metro.

Great location close to metro. Charming old building surrounded by trees and flowers. Very helpfull staff. Lots of space in our twin room. Home made yogurt. Quiet at back of hostal

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

Ask for room away from street.

Room we had was facing a high traffic area. We had to close all windows to cut down the noise. Fan helped some.

Nice public area. Helpful staff for the most part. But our room phone didn't work which meant going down to the office from our third floor room whenever we needed something. When I reported it, the guy on duty just said "no, it doesn't". No offer to get it fixed.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

Great courtyard- nice rooms and very central

Had a relaxed and comfortable atmosphere. The room was a good size and the bed was very comfortable. We really enjoyed meeting and chatting with other travellers in the courtyard area.

• Reviewed: 10 February 2017

Great atmosphere and style at a reasonable price.

Rather noisy as rooms open onto the courtyard but unavoidable.

Great fresh food for breakfast. Lovely old house with plants and paintings and comfortable furniture.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

Fantastic Hotel and Location

I can only say good things about this place. Fantastic location, beautiful building, friendly staff, nice breakfast, and very nice shared space area with a bar and food to order. The beds are comfy and the rooms are great. The 24 hour desk is also very helpful. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. A side note that they don't have a/c, but the windows open, my room had a fan, and Santiago cools down significantly at night. I'm usually bugged by lack of a/c but it's really not a problem here. Book it if you can!!

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

Staff incredibly helpful, welcoming and friendly.

Hmmm. Nothing to fill in the blank here.

Staff incredibly helpful, welcoming and friendly. Location is super...2 blocks from two metro lines. Four blocks from excellent dining. Walk to 2 cerros. The hotel is charming.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

Wonderful staff--very helpful with logistics like taxi...

Wonderful staff--very helpful with logistics like taxi to/from airport, luggage storage, etc. They have a fantastic breakfast in a quaint little courtyard. Great location near the metro. Would definitely stay here again!

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

best value for money

-a single chair in the room and we have to keep everything in suitcase that we keep open on the floor. -wish I can open window for some air

the location is perfect for sightseeing and activities; the helpfulness of staff, the use of the kitchen facilities (well equipped)when we needed it; the courtyard in the middle is really cute

• Reviewed: 23 December 2016

Being watched and having a rationed breakfast

Unless A. (guy) who is very kind and smiling and the cleaning ladies, the other people - especially the manager (girl) - need to learn smiling and being a bit more gentle/warmer. You have to (!) give the key of your room every time you leave the Hostal and if you don't, they will be kinda mad. It gave me the impression I was being watched and that my comings and goings were being recorded. A friend of mine also came to my (private) room during 10 min to get changed before going to the restaurant and, in that short time, I got a phone call to let me know it is strongly forbidden. Proof that your being watched? Also, the breakfast is very basic and minimal: a bit of bread and two very small slices of cheese with one glass of jugo natural (without choice) and some too mature fruits. You have to sit, not move, and they will bring your rationed breakfast. Don't go to the kitchen or they will rebuff you. Actually, I think communism is still alive at Rio Amazonas Hostal.

The building is nice and the location is good. Night check-in is possible.

• Reviewed: 21 December 2016

Great Hostal

The service was great at the hostel. We stayed there 2 times for 2 nights each time. I left a ring there the first time and they noticed that I was coming back and gave it to me when I returned. The breakfast was great. It was only 3 blocks from the metro and the neighborhood was very nice.

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

A lovely hostal with super friendly staff.

It's on a busy road, so some traffic noise at night.

The staff were so helpful and friendly - nothing was too much trouble. Lovely lounge area and courtyard. Beautiful building.

• Reviewed: 9 December 2016

Not a problem for me but not a hostel where you can meet people. If you're a solo traveller hoping to meet people, look elsewhere.

Very helpful reception staff. Great location.

• Reviewed: 2 December 2016

Amazing staff. Comfy bed. Great location.

I can't say enough nice things about the whole staff of Hostal Rio Amazonas. They went above and beyond to make my stay wonderful. I had travel issues and it was comforting to know the staff was there to accommodate me for an extra day (with smiles and open arms). The location is really great. There are so many things within walking distance, plus the subway is just over a block away which made it easy to hop on when I was just too tired to walk. Highly recommend!!!

• Reviewed: 18 November 2016

A lovely place to stay in central Santiago

Fantastic, helpful staff. Great location as you can walk to many of the main attractions and it is very close to the Metro. Very relaxing atmosphere: the art and the gardens are a great addition.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Great value hostel!

There was nothing we didn't like.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Transfers from and to the airport were seamless, a big relief when you're tired, jet lagged and a bit nervous. Beds were very comfortable, and the breakfasts were absolutely delicious. I would definitely recommend to stay here.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

Great place, scamed by booking agent

Paying a fair price instead of twice as much because i used your service

The price you charged me was twice the price charged by the hostel if I had booked directly....double the posted price. So much for best price guarantee. Needless to say, now that i am back in the states will use social media to warn other of the,price gouging. And it is a,good place to stay

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

Would definitely stay there again

Good and safe location - easy to get around the city, close to subway station. Helpful and lovely staff. Very good breakfast with homemade yogurt and jam.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2018

Location, room was very clean and they have daily cleaning...

Location, room was very clean and they have daily cleaning service, breakfast was amazing, stuff is very helpful

Everything.

Nada

Everything. Very friendly and professional and courteous staff.

Central location for reasonable price

Absolutely nothing to complain about.

The breakfast was good. Staff is friendly and helpful. I enjoyed the quietness of my room.

Interesting building, helpful staff and great breakfast

The single rooms are quite small

Interesting place

Awesome stay, friendly staff. Highly recommend

Super friendly staff. Beautiful clean rooms. Hot, high pressure showers. Just a great place. Highly recommend. Room 38 is awesome.

Nice helpful staff.

Nice helpful staff. Great breakfast. Loved the dog!

Great place to stay in Santiago very central location

Great place to stay staff could not do enough for you would highly recommend this hostal

Recommend to everyone staff, location everything is as...

Recommend to everyone staff, location everything is as should be

Recommended!

24h Service, good WiFi, hot showers, comfortable rooms, nice breakfast

Loved it

Super adorable place-a restored character home, ladies were incredibly nice. Breakfast included homemade yogurt and juice.

Friendly staff, centred location, easy to get around.

Everything, style friendliness and location

Nothing bad to say

Everything, style friendliness and location

Will go back to this Hostal next time we’re in Santiago

Beautiful house. Very colorful. Warm reception staff. Great location. Nice quiet rooms upstairs in the back

Perfect.

Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. The location was great! The staff was lovely. The breakfast was delicious. I would definitely stay here again.

All was perfect, environment, staff, breakfast!

Just one pitfall - water tap in bathroom was stuck so it was iritating each time when using it...

All was perfect, environment, staff, breakfast!

Great area for Santiago and very recommandable hostel.

The proximity to the big street makes the rooms a bit noisy

Nice breakfast, very friendly and helpful staff

Economy and convince

Equipment is not nice

Friendly staffs

A nice place in central Santiago

Nothing really

Very much everything! Welcoming helpful friendly staff. Location. Food. The room...

Browse Hostal Rio Amazonas traveller photo gallery