Reviews of Beijing Sihe Courtyard Hotel

No. 5 Deng Cao Hutong Dongsi South Street, Dongcheng, 100010 Beijing, China

• Deluxe Double Room

Bathroom smells a bit of sigarette smoke.

Unique location in Hutong in central Beijing. Staff can speak English and provides good service. Solid breakfast options.

• Classical Chinese style room

Of you have the cheapest room category the room is super tiny, bed uncomfortable. If you have more than a backpack and small carry on luggage it's very hard to get to the hotel, the tiny street that leads there is broken and therefore it's super hard to pull a trolley. Taxis won't want to enter the narrow and broken street do you probably need to walk around 5-8 min. Even a Riksha didn't want to enter the street which brought me in a dangerous situation. The driver hit me in the stomach when I refused to pay the full price even though he let me out 5 min walk away from my destination. I'd go for 1 night if you want to sleep in a really old authentic building for the experience but it's not worth staying an extended time for that price you get a super comfortable Hotel that can be reached easily.

Nice old architecture

• Classical Chinese style room

Not near to anywhere. Taxis and private hire cars refuse to enter the small, poorly maintained roads and we had to drag our luggages through muddy roads and dark alleys for few hundred metres while avoiding scooters, cyclists and motor cars. Not that near to train station. Checkout and check in process were fast and still fine. WIFI password was incorrect and had to rely on own data plan. Breakfast was acceptable and not much variety.

Chinese style and Qing era courtyard

• Classical Chinese style room

Toilet smell in the entire hallway and room! Staff not friendly. Poor cleaning in the hotel.

The location is great. In the middle of the hutong area! Very quite and peaceful!

• Classical Chinese style room

Website said Free airport transport with 3 night stay and they said car wasn’t available to pick us up so we had to pay a taxi and didn’t get reimbursed. They did take us back to airport but it was a small car and we were 4 women! We had suitcases in our laps! The heat is a unit near the ceiling. It made SO much noise I couldn’t sleep and it barely heated the room (it was in the 20s at night). I asked for a different room and was told there weren’t any. To their credit, they did bring me a space heater . My sink was leaking which they fixed. My fridge didn’t work, which they fixed. There is hot water in the shower but the water flow is not very heavy - takes a while to wash hair. They provide kettle to make tea or coffee but never took away dirty cups and did not give me clean cups.

Provided slippers, water bottles, fridge and tea fixings, hairdryer. All the rooms are different. Of the 4 rooms our party had, mine was smallest. Ask for room with canopy bed! Good Hot breakfast, different choices every day. Location is about 5 to 10 min walk to subway and many places to eat. The courtyards are probably very pretty in spring and summer.

• Classical Chinese style room

This hotel advertises free airport transportation with a 3 night stay. The 'car' was not available the day we arrived. The 'car' was a very tight fit for 4 people and luggage the day we left.

Breakfast was different every morning which I enjoyed.

• Classical Chinese style room

Wish a hot water pressure in shower tube would be better during such a cold period of time...

Surely would like to come here again and again to have a gulp of a delicate ancient atmosphere

• Classical Chinese style room

poor shower pressure, bathroom smelled, too few TV channels. Walls are thin, can hear other guests thru the night.

lovely bed , nice and warm, hearty breakfast included, helpful staff.

• Classical Chinese style room

During the winter a bit colder.

Loved the authentic feel of old time China. That why i booked this hotel. It's not a modern hotel with modern amenities. It gives you an old time feeling in an old neighbourhood.

• Deluxe Double Room

Great Staff, very friendly and helpful when needed, the location was excellent convenient to walk to and from Transit, Stay multiple nights for an authentic Chinese experience.

• Classical Chinese style room

courtyards could benefit from plants and newer and more furniture to make them more welcoming breakfast buffet was only OK location is down a very long alley with few restaurants nearby and none at hotel

comfy bed, English at front desk, helpful staff

• Classical Chinese style room

After the formalities at the reception we were shown to our room, which was nothing like the room advertised on the website. Unlike the courtyard view on the website, the room was right at the hotel entrance, opposite the reception, dimly lit with the only window facing the corridor which you everyone has to pass on the way in and out. Asking to provide another room, less exposed to the commotion, we were advised that no other room was available. In a very short while, we were shown to a similar room with the same bed and the same set of furniture, but deeper in the hotel. The girl from the reception informed us that that was a delux room, and asked us to pay the difference. The rate was said to be 740 rmb!!, almost twice the price of our room. Seeing our hesitation and surprise, she pulled a disgruntled face and said that she decided to upgrade us for free. We stayed at that room. We discovered it only later, but it has to be mentioned that we were charged in Russian Roubles. It was the first and only time in China this happened. The girl told me the final charge in RMB, but out of the blue charged in Russian Roubles. The mastercard I gave her was in EUR, which is embossed on the card. The operation resulted in double conversation and additional costs to me.

Quiet and cosy location

• Classical Chinese style room

There was some mixup. Pretty sure I asked for a single large bed, instead I got 2 small beds (solo traveler). I am a large guy and I could not bend over in the shower. No bathtub. There are 2 courtyards. 1 pretty and 1 boring stone one. My room was looking at the boring one. The curtains did not block out light, so sleeping in required covering my face. Booking says there is a hot tub, but there is not. There was one in the VIP room, but I was only in a standard so it was inaccessible.

Free breakfast. Good neighborhood. Walking to forbidden city was easy. Less than 10 minute walk to metro. Fun being in an authentic neighborhood. While I have complaints, I would recommend this property. Staying in Beijing and staying in a run of the mill hotel is boring. Experience some culture. The hotel could make a few changes and really improve the quality. Staff was great and helped me a lot, from recommending food to setting up a great wall tour.

• Classical Chinese style room

Rather tired and could do with some refurbishment. Room a bit dark. Bed very hard, which is Chinese style.

Wonderful position in Hutongs. Classic Chinese style courtyard hotel. Helpful staff, good breakfast included - western and Chinese food. Felt like we were in the midst of where most Chinese live, not a tourist area. Good value

• Classical Chinese style room

This was a characterful hotel in a traditional hutong. When we arrived our allocated small room had a bed that had one side against the wall and it also had a footboard which made getting in and out of bed quite difficult if you were the unfortunate one against the wall! To their credit they said they would upgrade us for the last two nights of our stay and this room was far more comfortable. Breakfast had something for everyone and good orange juice and we enjoyed taking it in the courtyard. Staff were helpful. There were a couple of subway stations close by but on the first night we easily walked to Tiananmen Square and the night market. We would certainly stay here again.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

• Classical Chinese style room

The breakfast room is a little run down.

Staff was very friendly and english-speaking. The hotel lies in a quiet hutong and it is possible to sleep without being disturbed by the noise of the traffic on the main street. The metro station is only a few minutes walk away and there is a nice place to have breakfast nearby. The post station is also close. It was possible to get a discount on airport transfer so if you need to get there very early you should do this. There is western breakfast.

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

Window was broken and wouldn't close or lock. No safe in the room. Bathroom door lock broken-our 3yr old son got stuck in the bathroom. Hotel has a "C" class food hygiene rating (the lowest available)-having said that, breakfast was basic but good. They do not offer any other meals though. Reception-one young lady was great and really helpful but the others were grumpy and rather unhelpful. The Hotels Driver was brilliant and although he didn't speak English he was a really nice and helpful guy. Generally the hotel desperately needs an upgrade and some basic maintenance.

Authentic property. good to get an experience of the real China. Good location. Bed comfortable. Room a good size.

• Reviewed: 9 November 2016

• Executive Double Room

The Si He is located in a hutong, the sort of narrow maze of alleyways, houses, and shops in which most Beijingers once dwelt, but the majority of which have been pulled down and replaced with the glass and steel buildings which characterize modern Beijing, and which house most of the hotels where Westerners are likely to stay. The Si He is about 10 minutes off the main streets, and about 95% of the people you'll see coming and going are locals, so you'll get a real feel for everyday Chinese life. Despite the hubbub in the streets and alleys, the hotel itself is very quiet and restful and is furnished and decorated in such a way that you could easily imagine yourself living a century or two in the past (though with most if not all modern conveniences). If you want to stay in a hotel that's just like the ones in America or Europe, there are plenty of them nearby on the main streets, but if you want to feel like you've really been to China, I highly recommend this place.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

Information concerning airport transportation is totally misleading.The annonce promises free transportation if you stay three nights or more. We spent 10 nights but did not received any service although we asked it. When we arrived the receptionist promised that we will have transportation when we will leave, but it never happened. The lady at the reception said that they don't have any service at all and we were forced to take taxi and pay it ourselves.

Traditional style and atmosphere were an experience compared with ordinary blocks that most hotels have. Nice inner yard, quiet area - no traffic noise.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

Their website says they will offer free taxi to send us to nearby station when we leave. But they didn't honner this promise. Plus, they don't provide power plug convertion for foreign guests. Plus, everything is far away including taxi.

Style

• Reviewed: 20 July 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

As a teacher living and working in China, I was delighted to find a hotel that reflects the real, ancient ambience of this country yet adopts the rooms for comfort. (Western style plumbing, toilets, air conditioning.) I've stayed with visiting friends and family in 5 star hotels just blocks away and I kept find myself explaining that the experience had nothing to do with the real values or real lives of Chinese people. The Sihe hotel was the opposite experience: aesthetically delightful down to the cozy pajamas provided for guests. Duck past the messy and chaotic Hutong alley and you enter a world of quiet repose. We especially loved the private-car driver who picked my sister up from the airport. We were fortunate enough to schedule him to take us to the great wall in another car the next day. He spoke no English, but he accompanied us up the wall and helped my sister climb. (She had recently broken her foot, but didn't want to miss one of the wonders of the world!) She literally leaned on him for the mile or more way down the mountain. What a sweetheart!

• Reviewed: 4 July 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

The place was so beautifully decorative and the staff was extra kind and helpful. Along draw back, it is a little difficult to find at first, but the location is good.

• Deluxe Twin Room

little tucked away but made things seem a little more traditional

lovely little hotel

• Classical Chinese style room

The hotel is old, without maintance, the bathroom smells bad.

The ambiance was typical chines

• Classical Chinese style room

My room was on the 2nd floor. I slept whole night with the door open and it was like night in the village in the center of Beijing. Very quiet.

Non very friendly people

Great room and breakfast. The place is very beautiful and we'll situated.

Difficult to communicate.

The traditional Chinese atmosphere.

The ambience

• Deluxe Double Room

could not get any food there

All ok

Room size small Bed very hard bed Breakfast limited

Free airport pick up was excellent. Location good for sight seeing.

• Reviewed: 8 January 2017

Poor English of the stuff

The authentic Chinese atmosphere

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

cleanliness and wifi

• Classical Chinese style room

A fan in the courtyard adjacent to the lobby would have been nice.

The staff were extremely helpful when our rail tickets did not turn up as promised.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

rooms are packed into the hotel, some are small and not all are on a courtyard.

Quiet rooms.

• Reviewed: 8 July 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

Great location and really nice facility with typical yard situation in hutong setup.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2016

I don't like the question; "What could have been better". It is dificult to improve the nature of tradition. Being woken up by the maids cleaning the next room and speaking in a very loud voice, sometimes screaming their conversation (typical of China, drives me crazy. Some employees charming and helpful, others grumpy (but still helpful). The breakfast buffet is minimalist, even to chinese standards, but I still managed to have what I wanted, even fresly squezed orange juice, and two fried eggs. Had to fight to get some pepper. There is (at least in my room, a small difference of level between outside and Inside, the room and the bathroom, so before get used to it your toes get bruised or you lose your balance. So at the beginning look down before you move in the room or in and out. The paper handkerchieves are so small and thin that you had to use at least four o five to wipe something.. or to blow your nose. Small things but irritating. Of course no pool (where would they put it!), but that is not a critic. An orry for the photos, I didn't have time to improve them!

To live in a (very) old traditional chinese house adapted to western requirements. The inner central courtyard was charming and, as it should, not very well kept. A few peonies here and there. I spent delicious moments with my daughter sitting in the middle of the garden, sipping a Cognac (which I had brought - theyy don't even know the name), after running all day. The room in which I staid had new elegant furniture copying the old, inn a very good state. New modern shower room. I had space for all my many belongings (I don't travel light. All the windows were blind, but It didn't matter, there was nothing to se outside. On the whole, the fact that I speak chinese half fluently and my daugter completely avoided many harrowing discussions with employees, whose english was limited, leaves me very good memories. I recommend a stay there, I suppose one of the few nice traditional houses left in the Hutong areas, but read also the other part.

• Reviewed: 11 May 2016

I'm not sure if this place really needs improvements. I guess if you're arriving on your own on foot from the subway station you may have difficulty locating the property. It's not very well marked. That's all :)

The bed was absolutely amazing. The staff was English-speaking and very friendly. The complimentary breakfast was great. The location was perfect and only a short walk away from the subway station. Hot water, free working wifi.

• Reviewed: 26 March 2016

Really far away from a main street, 5 minutes walk hauling our luggage, taxis did't want to take us there, and also add a 15 min walk from the nearest subway station. Poor breakfast Small bedrooms, ugly decoration. Overrated and expensive for what you get Bathroom terrible, without even a shower curtain, so everything gets soaked. We woke up by some workers outside of our room al 7:30 am because they were doing some gardening shores including hammering!!!! Pictures on my tripadvisor review.

Nothing really.......well the only good thing was that we just stayed one night and canceled the rest of our reservation.

• Reviewed: 19 January 2016

WiFi was a bit touchy at times but this is so typical in China. The receptionist was always willing to do a reset which often corrected the problem.

Sunny at reception was incredibly cheerful and helpful. Truly wanted to please her guests. Traditional style architecture. Delicious chinese dishes at breakfast. 10min walk to the subway. VERY comfortable beds. This is a budget hotel so expections should be in line and allow for some "inperfections".

• Reviewed: 17 January 2016

One room had a bad smell, not sure where it was coming from. But, they did give us a better room when we informed them. The breakfast could have a bit more variety. The place is a bit off the main road (it's a Hutong) & Google maps had it tagged in a wrong location. Carry the Chinese address if you are taking a cab for the first time.

The staff was awesome. They made you feel at home, were very responsive. Gave upgrade to all the three rooms we had booked. Genuinely helpful.

• Reviewed: 15 January 2016

The traditional Chinese style of the furniture and the building itself. Local style but with some aminities for western travels. Breakfast had both western and Chinese options. Loved the beds! Firm and comfortable matresses with Chinese flaire. This is a budget hotel with some typical budget installations so expectations should be in line. But much more interesting to have a taste of the local culture. Very helpful receptionist who truly wished to please her guests.

• Reviewed: 19 November 2015

Not a comfortable experience, especially in winter. Bedroom dark and had to wear warm coat to breakfast room. Breakfast very basic. The restaurant was not functioning for evening food. The main shortfall was lack of taxis in the hutongs, although their own driver was willing to help for free. Expensive for where and what it was.

Character and staff

• Reviewed: 4 November 2015

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was beautiful with tonnes of character and charm centrally located and close to the airport. Well worth the money. Recommended.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2015

standard double room too small and a little shabby

great location in hutong, walking distance to much of what we wanted to see charming renovated traditional courtyard house deluxe room was very comfortable staff spoke english well and were very helpful

• Reviewed: 21 October 2015

Perfect location to visit Beijing tourist sites, next to subway station. Typical architecture and antique fourniture gived great atmosphère. Good English speaking ans friendly staffs.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2015

The walls could do with a lick of paint, otherwise all was great!

The location was fantastic, smack in the middle of Beijing. The hotel was in set in a traditional court yard in an atmospheric Hutong. The staff were amazing and couldn't do more to help. I had a problem with my flights and trains and I was provided with support and assistance which was great. If you've been to China before you know that staff aren't always helpful so in my hour of need their assistance was greatly appreciated.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2015

Other items were average to what you can expect for the Chinese courtyard hotel. Seems a bit over priced.

Good location. Gave a chance to see ordinary people's life because the hotel is located in the middle of residential area.

• Reviewed: 5 October 2015

The Breakfast room can be rather cramp when the guests come at the same time with hardly room to move at the buffet table as the buffet table us rather small and not practical. And only 1 household coffee machine for a hotel with this many rooms!!! and food are not replenish on time when the rest. is busy.

Like the traditional hutong setting of the hotel-quaint and cosy-good location even though it can be difficult to find the very first time. Should ask the hotel to email the text they have(given out to guests at the reception) about the exact location so that you can show the taxi driver .

• Reviewed: 29 September 2015

The hotel provided a free pick up from the airport.The staff spoke english and were very friendly and helpful.Provided an english map and gave me directions when needed.The metro was only 5 minutes walk away.The metro took me all the way to the airport on the way home.Had free breakfast with toast and jam,cereal and coffee.The location was nice and quiet.

• Reviewed: 3 July 2015

The courtyard was not as well-maintained as it was on our previous visit.

We like the location, within a local neighborhood and within walking distance of the subway. We are always amazed at the peace and quiet, sitting in the courtyard at night in the middle of Beijing, and yet unable to hear any sounds of the city!

• Reviewed: 3 July 2015

We found a HUGE cockroach in our bathroom. It was around 2 inches long. We made sure to check all our luggage before we checked out.

The location is perfect, not too far from a bunch of neat things to see. The hostel itself is very charming but lacks proper amenities and bad air conditioning. The customer service here was top notch.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2015

Even the Deluxe room was quite small. Shower very small and bathroom dated. Overpriced for what it offers. Hard to find good places to eat nearby. Staff not very friendly.

Full of character and in an interesting area of hutongs. Quiet. Pleasant outdoor courtyard. Comfortable bed if you don't mind climbing over each other.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2015

My room was very small, even for one person.

Its central location in a Hutong environment located close to excellent (and cheap) restaurants. Breakfast very good but could be earlier than 7.30am start (especially when early starts to tourist attractions is needed). Nice to relax in one of the quiet courtyards.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2015

The staff were helpful and friendly with good English. We enjoyed the opportunity to experience staying in a Hutong community and the closeness to major attractions. Very good restaurants close by.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2015

I had to ask the front desk to change our sheets after the 4th night and they did not even make our beds for at least 2 days until I mentioned it. The web site stated that they provide free airport pickup but we had to pay 200 CNY because our flight arrived after 5:00 pm. I thought that was a bit unclear since they had 4 drivers on duty and I am sure many flights arrive after 5.

The location was great, just a short walk to the Dongsi subway station. One gets a feel of how old Beijing looked like. Locals still live in the area. The ladies at the front desk were very helpful and friendly. We especially like the driver who picked us up from the airport. He gave us many good recommendations on local foods and where to go.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2015

most drivers do not know the way. Suggest to keep the hotel phone number at the side to allow drivers to call them for direction.

the bed the friendly staff the decor of the room the cleanliness

• Reviewed: 24 May 2016

Breakfast could be improved, current menu pretty basic standard rather stodgy bread and minimal extras.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2016

Great location, and charming courtyard layout. Also terrific to get picked up at airport. Really good breakfast.

• Reviewed: 20 March 2016

For approx. 550RMB per night one can get much more in Beijing. Will not stay there anymore. The breakfast was very bad. Not recommendable.

• Reviewed: 8 March 2016

The staff spoke English and were helpful with sightseeing and also when I was unwell.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2015

was run down. walls all patched up poorly, showers were terrible, breakfast was mediocre at best.

location and chinese feel

• Reviewed: 26 July 2015

location in center of Beijing

• Reviewed: 17 July 2015

Location, quiet, middle of Beijing, decor, nice neighbourhood.

• Reviewed: 3 May 2015

That I couldn't stay longer.

Everything was wonderful, location especially!

There are also 9 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Beijing Sihe Courtyard Hotel traveller photo gallery