Reviews of Sitting on the City Walls Courtyard House

No. 57, NianZi HuTong, Jingshanhoujie., Dongcheng, 100009 Beijing, China

Based on 379 hostel reviews

Pefect housing for your next stay in Beijing!
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Pefect housing for your next stay in Beijing! The owners speak perfect English and are really friendly. As it is not so easy to find everything in Beijing without speaking Chinese, they've prepared some tour guides which is really convenient Moreover, they try to help you with everything you need to have a nice relaxed stay.

Loved that you get to stay in the Hutongs of Beijing!
    • Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

I did feel like I was going to break my bed everytime I stepped in the ladder (and I am an average size human) but thats not a dealbreaker.

Loved that you get to stay in the Hutongs of Beijing! The layout of the building is wonderful, staff very helpful, food was nice and I did the Great Wall trip which you must do when in Beijing!

Good location and staff
    • Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

The decoration is too crammed.

The location of the hostel, its access, and the charism of the owner were quite something. There was always cleaning at the rooms and bathroom and the hot shower was perfect, as well as a good wifi connetion.

surrounded by most famous attraction and designed in very authentic chinese architecture
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

need to 3 mins walk from the street, the alley is not taxi accessable and we arrived 2 am in the morning. but then it wasnt a big problem

The staffs were very very friendly and helpful..most importantly they speak English very well!

Everything about this hostel was fantastic.
    • Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Everything about this hostel was fantastic. great location, decent wifi, cheap and filling food options, plus beers in the fridge! Very helpful staff who went above and beyond to ensure we enjoyed our stay.

Great place

Beds we're hard

Traditional Chinese house. Staff know English. Dumplings were good. Bottled water and beer was cheap. Location is near sights and in a local neighborhood.

Great stay in Beijing very closed to the forbidden city
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

There only 2 things we didn’t like that much: 1. Room: The room was basic but nice. the toilet would need some maintenance though and we felt that we didn’t have enough privacy since the room was right in the main court . 2. Location: Not too closed to the subway line, at least 20 minutes walk.

Staff was great, always happy to answer all questions we had. They provided a nice and very useful itinerary at check in which we followed every day. They can also help you organising the day tour to the Great Wall. They also prepare meals which are very cheap especially the dumplings. Great atmosphere but never noisy . We will recommend this place to our friends. Thanks for everything.

The owner/staff is amazingly friendly and helpful. The food was delicious
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

No sign at the biggining of the alley indecating that we were on the right path

I found the atmosphere very pleasant This was my first experience in a hostel ( at 57 ) and I would return and for sure share with my girls

Although it was a bit tricky to find the guesthouse the...
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Although it was a bit tricky to find the guesthouse the night we arrived, once we've figured it out, the location turned out to be very convenient: great for walking around Beijing's old quarter, to Duiyun and the Imperial Palace, as well as Nanluoguxiang and Qianhai Lake. The staff was very helpful and they were among few people we've encountered in Beijing who spoke good English. Good value for money.

The location was very central and close to the Forbidden...
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Finding the hostel was difficult and a little scary at first. We were aware that it was in an alley but we didn’t arrive until late in the night so we had a difficult time navigating in the dark. Once we found it though it was great! Never felt scared again walking in the alley, even at night.

The location was very central and close to the Forbidden City! There were great tours and shows offered at a discount that are definitely worth doing. They provide you with a great packet with all the major tourist attractions in the city and how to get there using public transport. The staff was very friendly and helpful throughout the stay. Food was excellent and cheap beer!

Courtyard was wonderful as was the location in the Hutong.
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Rooms could have been cleaner and other staff more friendly

Courtyard was wonderful as was the location in the Hutong. Easy access to public transport and walking distance to many sights and restaurants. Good information given. Rick the manager was very helpful and great to chat with.

Fantastic location - charm - and friendliness. Perfect choice!
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Fantastic location! Incredible to be walking around the stunning old hutong area, and be so close to the Forbidden City and Jingshan Park. Great restaurants nearby - definitely try Juanjude if it’s your first time in Beijing - Peking Duck and a free performance of all kinds of Chinese dance and performers. Rick and Rachel run a fantastic service at City Walls. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and felt incredibly lucky to have chosen it as Home base for Beijing! 😊

Right in the city center, with subway nearby, restaurants...
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Some noise coming from the inner courtyard very early.

Right in the city center, with subway nearby, restaurants and fun. The owner is awesome and very helpful.

good hostel inmidst the hutongs of beijing
    • Twin Room with Private Bathroom

The room was not as clean as i expected it.

The additional breakfast is very good perfect to give you energy to start the day. The owner is very friendly and helpful.

Convenient and quiet location, helpful English speaking...
    • Twin Room with Private Bathroom

My only criticisms are that the rooms lack acoustical privacy and do not have any windows except into the enclosed courtyard/lobby space.

Convenient and quiet location, helpful English speaking staff, nice character to the property.

good place to stay
    • Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

in my opinion it's quite far from the nearest mrt station, but if you want to go everywhere by bus it's not a problem. it's also quite far to walk to night attractions such as sichahai or wangfujing if you like night life

the staff are very helpfull and the facility is good, it's clean and the bed is comfortable. the hostel give you free map and directions to tourist spots. also have a simatai and mutianyu great wall tour which is recommended by my roomate who joined it.

Just OK
    • Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

The location was close to Forbidden City, but not much else around. Had to walk a long way to find some thing to eat (they stop serving food at 8pm), no atm nearby or metro station. Also the the dorm was really hot, which is unusual for Beijing, where the rooms are usually freezing. Would only stay here again if nothing else available.

Bed was comfy, staff was helpful.

Great hostel with helpful staff and a convenient location
    • Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Amazing hostel overall. Good location, some of the most helpful staff I've ever encountered in hostels. Good selection of food to order, it's quite cheap and really tasty. Rooms were clean. Nice common area to hang out in, with cheap beer available for purchase. Close to bus stops, about 15 minute walk to the metro.

Awesome hostel!
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

The host are super friendly and helpful! Everything was totally fine. We enjoyed our stay a lot and already recommended this hostel to our friends. Especially the location is great. Lovely place to stay in Beijing.

The hutong location was incredible;
    • Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

The ten-minute + walk to transit and necessity to transfer lines meant that you couldn't get anywhere very quickly. The only secure spot is a small box; it would not hold a laptop, let alone your bag.

The hutong location was incredible; I think my overall opinion of Beijing would have been different (worse) if I had stayed in a busier hour. The lakes (10-15 min walk away) were amazing at night. Follow their sinple directions along the main streets the first time, and then aquiant yourself with the maze of the hutong (especially if you arrive after dark). I felt 100% safe, and the neighbors regularly point you in the right direction. They had great food for reasonable prices, and their beer and water was less than most grocery stores. I recommend taking the tours of the Great Wall they arrange (no shopping stops or surprise fees). The staff speak great English and are incredibly helpful.

My first solo trip
    • Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

I like the ambiance of the place. I like the attitude of the staff towards its guests. I like the food. I like the very fast wifi connection. I like that they have like a convenience store inside. I like the proximity of the hostel in the attractions, food trips, subway station, and bus stops. This is my first solo trip outside of the Philippines, my first trip to China. I will definitely go back for more of Beijing since I only have 3 days there AND I will stay here again for my next trips in Beijing. Thanks to the staff. To the girl at the desk, I suggest that you smile more often 👍😊

Nice hotel, friendly and helpful staff.
    • Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Small dormitory, no proper room, toilets and shower together, shower can't be locked.

Nice hotel, friendly and helpful staff. The environment is very nice, pleasant yard Very well located

We were arriving early on the first day and found the place...
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

BYO shampoo and hair conditioner. They have old plumbing system so they ask you not to flush papers down the toilet. They have 10 yuan per kilo laundry service (I lost a pair of underwear). They offer breakfast but as I found hair in the omelette, I lost my appetite for it... We felt quite safe,walking outside even at night, but I'm not sure I'd have done it by myself.

We were arriving early on the first day and found the place in between the hutongs using VPN+google maps (didn't use it much afterwards). The whole hutong area is being renovated and it looks like it's going to be really nice. For now, you can really get the hutong vibe with people cooking and singing outside in the streets. The room is quite clean, hard matress but nice a/c and enough room. Very nice service! Rick will give you a map of the city and many advises on how to get to wherever you want to go.

Great location, would come again
    • Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

There wasn't natural light in the room, but other than that I would definitely come here again.

Location is great, 15 minutes walk to the subway which has good connections to other places in the city. The hostel itself is quite comfy. Staff was very helpful when arriving to the hostel and booked trips without trouble. The room was a dorm of 8, but the beds are divided in sections and mine was a real bed with quite a lot of space to move around in the room, so it felt like a more private dorm.

Very cool, very calm but could use a cash injection to give a great place a new shine..
    • Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Like most Chinese people, Rick and Rachel seem to have the overworking bug...only two people manning a 22-hour reception! I reckon they could charge a little more for everything and employ a night porter. The food was the freshest I had in China, simple and clean and ridiculously cheap. And very good coffee for only 10¥ while everywhere else charges between ¥25 and ¥30. Maybe they're trying to keep things simple but I reckon they could charge 10% more and still be cheaper than most places. The location is as good as it gets while still allowing a visitor an oasis of calm in the polluted madness. On a less positive note, I got ripped off to the tune of ¥150 (normal rate is about ¥50) by an unofficial taxi at the train station. I would have gladly paid ¥100 to City Walls for a friendly pickup and a more positive start to my stay...

Comfy bed, piping hot water, helpful staff, very quirky environs. Old style courtyard house typical of older Chinese architecture. In a less busy hutong, incredibly peaceful and quiet in crazy Beijing..

Very nice stay in a hutong surrounding

Bathroom needs some attention.

Very attentive staff. Very good english knowledge -which makes everything so much easyer! Very good breakfast. Very quiet location. Good access to public transportation.

Great Host
    • Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Lockers should be placed within the room. Hangers is broken.

The lobby ambience is so relaxing. Host is one of the best I ever met. He attended all my enquires with the best solutions and suggestions. A super responsible owner!

Location is great, right in the heart of the Hutongs, but...
    • Economy Twin Room

Our room was immediately next to the lobby, without daylight and without opportunity to open a window. Not particularly a romantic place to stay in for long, but who would when Beijing awaits?

Location is great, right in the heart of the Hutongs, but that's rather it.

Great place if you don't mind roughing it a bit. Ideal for back-packers.
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Very little storage space for our clothes.

The owner Rick was incredibly helpful and friendly. The hotel is very well located for sight-seeing. The place is charming in a slightly dilapidated way - not to everyone's taste, but we liked it. Very good value.

Safe and nice place to stay
    • Twin Room with Private Bathroom

The room and beds were clean and functional, we wouldn't call it nice. No window in the room. The room was on the 2nd floor (just a few stairs down to the private bathroom) and there is a guest staying in a room underneath. The bathroom is also functional, not very nice.

Very helpful English speaking staff, they provide you with a lot of tips to plan your days (tried the peking duck restaurant, it's a great experience). Location is great and safe, right next to the forbidden city. Very nice relaxing lounge in the middle to have dinner or breakfast. Breakfast we found a little bit expensive but there are no real other options in the neighbourhood. Always found the food very good!

Bad luck?
    • Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Maybe we had just the wrong room, but our room (104) was not good at all. We left after 2 days. There was a high humidity and a smell of mold. The room is also very basic. 2 beds and a bathroom. Hardly any place to place your luggage. And (I suppose it is tipical Hutong) you have to throw your toiletpaper in a basket. It is also rather far from subway,shops and restaurants (800 meter +)

Staff is very helpfull and speak English. You get a lot of information and advice. There is also a large choice of different breakfasts, diner ...

I would still recommend it because it's so close to everything.
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

The walls were paper thin. We could hear people receiving text messages in the courtyard in the morning. Which made us feel we didn't have much privacy in our own room.

People were friendly and helpful and the hostel was beautiful and in a quiet place. Not a sound at nice, in the middle of the city. Very cool.

Do you wanna stay ina Hutong?...Pay fot it!!
    • Economy Twin Room

Unfortunately, photos you see at the web are NOT what you will find!! Definitely, you will spend your cash for being inside a Hutong (old and real Beijinese boroughs, which is an experience but bear in mind you will find a western and much more leveled styled hotel in other parts of Beijing at the same price or even less!) Soooo..., rooms are really tiny, you won't find any wardrobe at all! Finally, sloooow hi-fi (remember there's no gmail/google allowed in China) Oops, girl on the desk is exactly the other side, no smile/stay away/you-are-annoying-me attittude,...a pitty!

Clean and cosy chinese style (that is hard matress) beds and room. You can take tasty and fresh western or chinese breakfast. Fantastic dumplings! The boss is a 'white tiger', ALWAYS ready to help you about any doubt or ticketing issue you may come into with a pretty good english understanding. At 15 minutes walking distance, restos and bars area to live Beijing night. Subway is near, five min 10 min walking...Moreover, cheap cold drinks, including huge beer (you will thank it once you arrive from who-knows-where after a long trip!!

It is close enough to the me tro station in Beijing...
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

It is close enough to the me tro station in Beijing standards (i.e. the hostel is not next to the metro station 10-15 min walk) I recommend having breakfast and dinner a the hostel if you are looking for a more European cuisine that you might not always be able to get outside.

Always my 1st choice in Beijing
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

I get lost every time I try to find this on arrival - but it is a good place to get lost...

Great location in a quite but atmospheric hutong close to Jinshan Park and Nanluoguxiang - very easy to get around. Nice common area, fantastic staff.

Great location and helpful staff!

More accurate photos.

Great location and easy to find with the instructions given. Accommodation was clean and comfortable but perhaps not quite as good as the photos suggestion. Nice enough though. Staff were very helpful which always makes a big difference. I would recommend it!

It really is an oasis in Bejing.
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

It really is an oasis in Bejing. We really enjoyed our stay there and the staff is extremely helpful. They also speak English really well so that's an added bonus. Don't be afraid to take public transport there, sometimes it's easier than a taxi, even if you arrive from the airport. We took the airlink to the airport and it was a lot faster than a taxi due to traffic.

No recommendation.
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Not clean, damp room. We left the location after one night.

The house is nice, especially the courtyard. The location is good, one has to walk around 10 minutes to the next subway station. The staff is very friendly. Unfortunately the room was damp and anything else but clean. We left the location after one night. No recommendation.

The Staff was extremely kind and helpfull for any problem or...
    • Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

The Staff was extremely kind and helpfull for any problem or advice. The location in the Hutong is suggestive and inside the Hostel was wonderful. We recommend to have breakfast and dinner at least once in the Hostel! Was delicious.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

A great end to a great journey!
    • Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

This is really just a small and not that important point but the only one I could think of: the wifi wouldn't work in the dorms, therefore you d'have to hang out in the common area.

The property is great! Friendly staff, who gave us a "Beijing101" when we arrived, plus a free map with tips. You could ask her almost anything. The location is very central, just north of the forbidden city and within walking distance to it as well as a restaurant and bar area, which was great for having dinner. The common area is nice and big, the wifi works fine there.

great location, very pleasent atmosphere
    • Twin Room with Private Bathroom

I've returned here again after 3 years and was happy to find the place stayed as I remembered. The staff is very helpful regarding any need. Sitting at the main and special courtyard is pleasent and great chill out from busy Beijing.

Staff were very helpful.
    • Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

I got lost in the labyrinth, in which the hostel is situated. Make sure to ask advice from the manager before 'winging it'.

Staff were very helpful. Very well spoken English too. The courtyard area is a nice place to hang out. Good breakfast (extra charge). Enjoyed staying here.

Great place, great value

Nil

The property was lovely, great location within walking distance of some of the highlights in Beijing. Drum Tower, Forbidden Palace etc. Rachel and Rick are very welcoming and stayed up early hours to check me in. Good falicities, breakfast and lunch served at a very small cost if wanted and aswell as drinks available eg. Tea, coffee, beer wine. I would recommend staying here if staying in Beijing!

The hostel is in a genuine hutong area close to the Beihai...

The hostel is in a genuine hutong area close to the Beihai Park and the Forbidden City. Metro station is a 10 min walk through the hutong district. Reception area is an excellent place to relax and hang around (it's air-conditioned, so it is also a great place to rest after sightseeing in the summer!). Clean rooms, good breakfast and dinner options available at the reception. Overall, strongly recommended!

Great family stay
    • Twin Room with Private Bathroom

We loved the lounge area, full of character and a resident turtle to keep our little one happy. The staff were very friendly and eager to help us. Very accommodating of our 18 month old who loved Rick following him around all morning.

No.1 Location in Beijing!
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

The owners provided great directions for us to be able to find the property ourselves. Sitting on the City Walls is located right in the middle of Beijing, in the beautiful old 'hutong' streets area - walking distance from The Forbidden City, Tiananmen Square and all the other major sights of the city. Great menu with a full choice of both Western and Chinese options for breakfast and dinner. The staff were especially helpful, providing us with a map, an information sheet, and guidance about the city when we first arrived. They were always happy to answer any questions we had - 100% recommended!

Fascinating hostel tucked into a hutong close to Tiananmen...
    • Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Fascinating hostel tucked into a hutong close to Tiananmen Square. Extremely knowledgeable and helpful staffwho were happy to organise trips etc. A real gem!

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

A local feel
    • Economy Twin Room

Our room was behind the reception therefore we got woken up early in the morning by the staff doing the dishes The room was quite small The shower

The location The common space was pretty and inviting

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

I love that they made our beds everyday
    • Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

It would be great if they provide indoor slippers

I love that they made our beds everyday in house restaurant has a very nice selection of food staff are great as well. will definitely recommend it

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

Authentic Hutong stay
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

The place could be a bit cleaner - but it was okay for us.

The host was very friendly and helpful. We both got ill a bit and he gave some tips how to recover quicker. Communication was easy as he spoke English pretty well.The place is pretty unique in a calm Hutong close to the Jingshan Park. Thanks to the good description + maps.me app the place was easy enough to find. Cold drinks and were really fairly priced + really good coffee - which is not so easy to find in China.

Excellent.
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

A little difficult to find at first.

Great location in historic hutong within walking distance of Forbidden City and Tiannamen Square. Clean rooms and great courtyard for chilling out. Staff very helpful and gave lots of information about the area and how to get around.

Great hostel at very convenient locationn
    • Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

I have not experienced anything negative

Hostel is well located as it you can walk from it to Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square. Nearest subway stop is 5min walking Since it is located in hutong you can experience real Beijing. 10min from hostel there is most vibrant area of Beijing Houhai Hostel offers great choice of food for breakfast (until 1pm) and for dinner as well. You dont need to go out to immerse yourself into Chinese cuisine at affordable price To get to hostel from the airport is not very hard if you use public transport. Hostel provides you with guidelines which are easy to follow Staff working in this hostel are nice and have good knowledge of English. You can always find them there and ask them for any info you may need I have been staying in 8 bed dorm room which is spread on 2 floors and has 2 toilets and 2 showers. I have never felt lack of space and that is important in Beijing as you are all the time surrounded by bunch of people. Hostel was my comfort zone and getaway from the crowd

Highly recommended
    • Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Have returned here for the second time (first was a year ago), and it's still as good! A/C on the whole premises, excellent hi-speed wifi, wonderful (and very secure) location close to everything and of course Rick, the very friendly owner. Thumbs up again and xie xie! :) Will gladly stay there next time, too.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

Great value, great neighbourhood
    • Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Everything was great, I felt at home

Great location in hutong, helpful staff, relaxing atmosphere & the dorm felt like a private room! 8bed dorm is split into 2 rooms, the upstairs room is very spacious & has big comfy single beds instead of bunks.

Excellent location, excellent staff, excellent service - shame about the noise
    • Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Noisy hostel like atmosphere that allows people coming back at 1am to sit and talk just outside open bedroom windows. Can really ruin the next day, if you have to work. Would recommend highly to those looking for socializing in the hotel, but not really good for our purpose (going to work).

We went there because it was in the hutongs near Jinshan Park, which is where we have always stayed in the past. Excellent, fun location with access to everything you want in Beijing. Excellent staff and hosts. Really good service: cold water, cold beer, breakfast.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

Good place to stay, we would recommend it
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

The room is directly next to the inner courtyard which is also the lobby / lounge / breakfast and dining area, so you might hear people if they hang out there. Also if you visit the wall with a cab don't agree to the friendly help from the cab driver paying the entrance fee. Just pay it yourself if it comes to that. The signs should tell you all you need to know if and how much entrance fee is required.

Excellent location, proper wifi, airco, cold beers and friendly and happy staff (thanks Rick). There is also a public fitness park close by in case you want to practice some workout routines or play table tennis with the locals. Staff is also very happy to help with finding a suitable tour for your trip to the wall. Oh and they also have good coffee for breakfast. The breakfast (toast with eggs and bacon and some kind of sausage) itself is pretty standard but was more than suitable.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

Very nice, clean and friendly staff.
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Nice and very friendly personal. Nice lounge with Coffee,beer and snacks as well as diner and breakfast. You can book tours to the wall directly at the reception and there will also take care of your postcards. English is not a problem and you get provided with all informations you will need. Also a very good location with many nice bars and reytaurants near by.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

Authentic place to relax in centre of Beijing's Hutong

Absolutely nothing

Authentic courtyard house in the middle of Beijing's Hutong run by helpful and friendly hosts that speak good english. The courtyard setting is a great place to chill after walking the streets of Beijing. Dinner and breakfast were available if needed and both were great and good value for money. The room was clean and comfortable. We would definitely stay here again......i am missing the ginger tea and the cheap beer already!

Wonderful home base
    • Economy Twin Room

I was delivered to the hutong where City Walls is located by taxi using a GPS and not the carefully written card in Chinese I initially showed him. As a result I was deposited at a different location and pointed down an alley at 2:30 in the morning. Nevertheless there were a surprising number of people in the alley ways and eventually one couple helped me locate the hostel. The location can not be surpassed. I walked to many of Beijing's famous locations. I liked feeling part of an ordinary neighbourhood in this spit and polish modern city. The hostel was a quiet and friendly base.

Clean guesthouse
    • Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

It was fine, considering it was a guesthouse. Good value for your money. The only not so good thing is the location since its inside a hutong. Use google maps to guide you

It was clean and the owner is super friendly and speaks English.

Worth the money, quaint, cosy and friendly owners
    • Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Location - very difficult to find. It could be sign posted alot better from the main road. In the end we had to ring the owner and ask her to come find us after wondering the hutongs for 30 minutes!

Absolutely fantastic. I generally try to avoid hostels, but this accomodation was well worth the price. I travelled with my partner and stayed in a private twin room (no doubles), it was clean and the shower was powerful. The hostel is quaint and the decoration in the central area is quirky, cosy and makes a great place to sit and have a beer. The breakfast (although not included in the price) was worth the money and served very quickly given that we had 30 mins until we set off on a tour. The staff speak very good English and helpfully provided us with a map and circled the best restaurants (something which the luxury hotels in China did not do for us), and we also went on an organised tour to the Great Wall which was much enjoyed and again, worth the money. Many thanks to the owners, you made our stay very enjoyable in Beijing after a not-so-great start in Shanghai.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

Great hostel.
    • Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Really nice charming hostel. Has a real feeling of old China. Very quiet but friendly atmosphere. Rooms are very clean and comfortable. The location could not be better for all the sights. The staff are completely fantastic here; extremely helpful, friendly, informative and they go above and beyond to help you. The pack with info, directions and bar/restaurant recommendations etc was a nice touch. Couldn't recommend higher.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

Charming place, good value for money
    • Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

No metro station nearby (2km walk) but very near Jingshan Park and 2km from Forbidden City. Also didn't notice any eateries/restaurants nearby though the street food/restaurant areas were about a 1 km walk away. No convenience stores nearby.

The host was very accommodating - gave us tips on where to go, a map, and was alway available for any questions or concerns. The place itself looks very charming and had all the basic amenities you'd need. You can also buy water and drinks at the Hostel.

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

A Gem in the Heart of Beijing
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

If you are looking for an amazing courtyard setting for relaxing, reading and eating AND an engaging and helpful staff, THIS IS THE PLACE!! Extremely comfortable beds as well. A stone's throw from Jingshan Park to boot

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

3 nights in Hutong in Beijing
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

It was good location but to find place for the first time was a challenge. We visited China end of winter time, so weather you around 12-15 during the day, what is ok for visit, but this hostel is not perfect for weather below 20 degree, even with heater I was cold.

The location was very good, just on the back of the Forbidden City. The metro was quite close and by Beijing metro you can get almost everywhere. Staff was very helpful and speaks english (was is not so common in China). I liked that it keeps traditional design of hutong. Good value for money, however we have been in Feb/March so no high season. Wifi was availble for free - what is super good.

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

Great value for money!

Nothing to complain about

The owner of the place is very nice and helpful, we got good recommendations for city tours and the great wall. the room was clean, comfortable bed and strong WIFI. The location is great! just 15 minutes walk from the nearest Subway, and close to the lake (lots of restaurants and bars).

totally worth it
    • Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

if fire breaks out in the house, it could be really difficult to escape for ppl on the 2nd floor. but i guess this is a typical problem of all the traditional houses in china.

8 bed mix dorm was perfect especially i slept on the 2nd floor that 4 single beds are located. it was just 2 peolple sleeping on the 2nd floor. the bed was extremely comfy. plus lots of spaces.

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

Amazing hostel
    • Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Amazing staff, they're always willing to help you with anything. The location in the Hutongs is awesome and you have all the facilities and comfort you can wish for. The breakfast is well priced and really tasty as well. I would definitely stay here each time I'd visit Beijing!

• Reviewed: 24 January 2017

A lovely 3 night sight stay in a traditional little hotel/hostel. Friendly, authentic & great value!
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

All good really. Vanity light in loo broken but not a problem.

Perfect for us. Stayed in the Llama room - comfy bed, heated & quiet. Tucked away from the hustle & bustle & quirky. Lovely welcome from the owner. Very helpful and suggested tailored itineraries for us. Suggested where we go and where to avoid. Booked our trip to the Great Wall which was amazing and very reasonable. Fantastic dumplings for breakfast. Would definitely recommend if you want something authentic and not a chain.

• Reviewed: 20 January 2017

We received a friendly welcome when we arrived at 1:30 AM...
    • Economy Twin Room

Wifi didn't work in our room. It worked well in the lobby though. Rooms open to the outdoors and while safety wasn't an issue, it was a bit cold since it wasn't a room that opened up to a hallway or lobby. Air quality was also terrible while we were there and I think that inevitably seeps into the room, so my friend and I were both congested in the morning and had dry mouth. Buy lots of water! The air issue isn't the hotels fault, obviously, but it's worth noting.

We received a friendly welcome when we arrived at 1:30 AM and they even had the heat running in our little bungalow style room for us when we arrived. Paying for the hotel was a quick and easy process at check in. They sell water and other drinks in the lobby for a great price, too. Rooms were SO cute! It was like we had a little Chinese bungalow to ourselves. The rooms are small but we just had backpacks so it wasn't a big deal. There are two beds with a power strip between the two so you can plug in everything and still reach it from bed. We had a room with two twin beds and a space heater and an attached private bathroom. Everything was clean and the towels were big and soft. It was a little cold in the bathroom... showering was not an inviting idea, but it was also just really cold that night. In the morning, we ordered two American Breakfasts and it was great! Coffee was good, too.

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

Amazing stay. Just made me want to stay longer =)
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

The near subway station was 15min walking distance (Nanluoguxiang subway station).

To start, the great people that manage the place. All of them were very helpful; when arriving with the taxi from the airport, the taxi driver got a bit lost, but the manager was immediately reached by phone (at 3am in the morning) and spoke with the taxi driver, and we got there right away. We got plenty of tips on how to manage our stay in Beijing, like places to visit, best part of the great wall to see (and when, to avoid hordes of people), travel tips in the city center... About the courtyard, we couldn't have choose a better place; quite central in the city, but very quite. The place was so comfortable, that we would always go for a tea in the courtyard before going to sleep. The courtyard itself was beautiful, very fresh, with lots of plants and water fountains. Because we got really high levels of air pollution when we were in Beijing (it reached 600ug/m^3), it felt really good to spend some time in this refreshing environment, equipped with air filters. All meals were served in the courtyard. The breakfast was amazing, we would always take 1h to have a calm breakfast (the dumplings felt so good in the morning). The food for dinner was also very good. The room we got was also very comfortable, warm and clean (it would be cleaned every day). It was an overall great experience, and if I go back to visit Beijing again, I would probably stay in this place again.

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

The host is awesome.
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

The host is awesome. He explained every detail of the touristy places, he was very helpful, from getting a taxi for us to helping us get medicine for my sore throat. Also, you cannot beat the location. It is really close to the forbidden city, and there's a bus stop as well as a subway line really close from the hutong. Breakfast was quite good and affordable, as well as the drinks (4 RMB for beer :D)

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

Very cosy hotel in a calm part of the inner city.
    • Economy Twin Room

Very cosy hotel in a calm part of the inner city.. The employees provide you with very detailed information on what to see, do, and the subway stops to get there :)

• Reviewed: 6 January 2017

close to the forbidden center!
    • Economy Twin Room

shower+toilet is not “the highest standard“, arrived at the wrong place! be careful booking.com shows a wrong adress!!

close to the forbidden center! one of the staff was very helpful. they answered our email always very fast. many thanks for that!

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

i found better place to stay next day
    • Twin Room with Private Bathroom

- smelly in the room - small room - messy hall - you can listen people talking in hall from your room till late night.

nice host... great welcoming introduction of beijing attractions, and helpful host.