Reviews of The Bund Riverside Hotel

No 398 Beijing Road East, Huangpu, 200001 Shanghai, China

#366 of 802 hotels in Shanghai

Good fun
    • Budget Double Room-without window

Air conditioning could use a tune up

nestled just two streets over from Nanjing Road. All the fun with little of the noise and traffic. Short walk to the Bund. Right by the river

Bearable
    • Superior Queen Room with City View

The hotel is certainly not a 4 star hotel, though it might have been one 20 years ago. We took a room with a balcony and city view, however the balcony was locked up and in a process of renovation. The balcony door was the only external fresh air opening and not being able to open it was claustrophobic. The "city view" was the wall of the next building.

The best part of the property is its location, getting to Nanjing is a breeze' same to the Bund. If you are looking for a place to just sleep a couple of nights it is an OK place to stay

No complaints
    • Superior Queen Room with City View

The price of the coffee in the hotel bar! Haha. Worked out to be $7 CDN. Seriously though, it was a great hotel and the staff were beyond helpful. I would stay again.

No complaints

The hotel location was great for money.
    • Deluxe Twin Room

Management must clean the windows regularly. Also fix the air conditioner, it did not cool the room, while working all time.

Riverside view was phenomenal. It was the best in our stay.room was clean, except the windows. Hotel is located close to bund and walking street.

Only the location is good but the hotel are very old and...
    • Budget Double Room without Window

Room is very very old the bed is very hard smelly room electric sachet no good all is old im dissapointed

Only the location is good but the hotel are very old and smelly dissapointed

Big rooms, have complimentary bottled waters everyday,...
    • Family Twin Room

Thin walls and ceiling, can hear next door neighbors. A bit far from subway, not entirely suitable for old people. Reception desk cannot understand, speak English. Far from The Bund

Big rooms, have complimentary bottled waters everyday, overlooking creekside

The location is good, the staffs unpleasant, rude , unwilling to help, could speak english.
    • Superior Twin Room with City View

The staff especially front staffs they are very rude, could speak english and unwilling to help

The manager named jackson Lu, he was the only person who can speak English and very helpfull

Would recommend this to family' and middle aged couples to stay at.
    • Superior Queen Room with City View

Not much wrong with the place overall. One lift had no carpet and other one that had carpet is a little dated. Bath tube floor was just a little slippery. Air condition is centrally controlled which is a slight issue. So as stated really nothing to complain about.

We have now stayed at this location 6 times, and we like it. It is good value for money, staff are helpful and it provides good comfortable rooms.

Comfortable stay in a very central location in Shanghai with nice Bund view from the room!
    • Superior Queen Room with City View

When I entered the room there was a strong smoke smell.

The location was very close to Nanjing Road and the city centre with a nice view of the Bund from the room window. The room was very big with a comfortable bed, nice furniture and private bathroom. Staff is friendly and helpfull (they are fluent in English!). Breakfast is both Chinese and international with a huge variety of food.

Good location hotel with nice size room.
    • Superior Twin Room with River View

There was no one to help with luggage when we arrived, especially many steps to lobby floor. Also we did not know the hotel takes deposit almost double of your room charge. But they refunded the deposit on checking out. Room cleaning is very lax, proper vacuuming needed.

Location and price. It is walking distance to Bund and nearby many local restaurants which are very reasonable and tasty. Bottle water was free and daily replenished. Cruise terminal shuttle bus was a plus.

Crazy! Unprofessional and inconsiderate
    • Superior Twin Room with City View

Very unprofessional. Arrived at 2am and they did not accommodate us. We looked for a hotel around and all of the hotels are fully-booked. Can you imagine that! They let us sleep on the couch til 5am and even told us we will have to wait until 8am only to find out it’s not sure that they will have vacant room. Traumatic! Never again!

Second day they shifted us to city view room.
    • Superior Queen Room with City View

Room was not given as was told, we felt like cheated as we had asked for a city view and they didnt give that. Just a small window. That too like a basement window. Also please buy currency exchange from bank as hotel charges too high exchange rates.

Second day they shifted us to city view room. So was nice of them. Location is very good. Overall experiance was nice. Value for money.

Bed quality was good.
    • Budget Double Room without Window

Room was very small. Heater/AC was making lot of noise. Plus, after 930am there was a renovation in upper floor which was noisy too. When I ask for upgrade, they ask for 500 RMP per night which is 2x the online price. Overall, experience was not good.

Bed quality was good. Bathroom was new and nice. Area is close to Nanjing road and near Metro station. Good connection to exhibition and airports via Metro. Evening one can spend time on Nanjing street for shopping.

Overall good but have been there before and seen the motel do much than they did this trip.
    • Budget Double Room without Window

Price was a little higher than other 4 visits, i have had. No doorman this time.

Good clean rooms, (except a little mold on ceiling) have stay before so knew what i was getting.

A wonderful night in a clasically styled Hotel with wonderful service in The centre of Shanghai
    • Superior Twin Room with City View

Honestly, I can't Think of Anything negative to say. Staying there really was a blissful experience.

I Loved The ambience of an older style Hotel But with modern facilities, Even The welcome message addressed to me on The tv in MY room gave MY stay a personal Touch. Also it was easy to find and close to The epicentre Shanghai. I will definitely stay Again

Very good location, walking distance to 南京路步行街,外滩。

Very old hotel, although it is clean but It is quite dark..and made me feel gloomy, the furniture, lamp and carpet looks like never changed since 90s.

Very good location, walking distance to 南京路步行街,外滩。1.8km from 城隍庙. The room’s view is great, with clear river and city landmark view (东方明珠). The old town full of restaurants, taste good and cheap. Nearby is a wet market for locals, interesting.

Good location, many local restaurants, don't expect too much with customer services.
    • Budget Double Room without Window

Most of the staff at the hotel (some front counter, door man, and cleaning staff) were polite and helpful. Our experience with the check-in/check-out staff (same person) was not completely positive. He would response to our questions with little/no eye contact and very stern facial expression. To some extent, it feels like we were not welcome. Our hotel room has no window and it is relatively dark. Room located at the end of the hallway and my husband has a bad knee.

Our room is clean and facility is pretty nice. Hotel is centrally located (about 10 min walk to the Bund) and there are many restaurants only a block away from the hotel.

Average
    • Superior Queen Room with City View

Staff were exceptionally unhelpful. Two spoke some English but weren't keen to help. An example - someone mucked up my room service order but staff insisted on charging me anyway. When I asked for advice they weren't helpful etc.

My room was clean / nice and location was good

The hotel is okay and clean place. Location is good. But room was freezing cold, even with heating
    • Superior Queen Room with City View

Room was cold and hair dryer didn’t work properly. Only entrance was via lots of stairs. But concierge assisted with the bags

Location is close to Metro and main street

Location is good, close to the shopping district.
    • Superior Queen Room with City View

Asked for a room with a view, ended up having a room with a small small window, river view.

Location is good, close to the shopping district. Nice bedroom.

every time i go back to my hotel room my TV does not work i...
    • Superior Queen Room with River View

every time i go back to my hotel room my TV does not work i have to wait for the technician to fix it. and on the last night of my stays I showered at 3:45 AM there is no hot water and it was 0 degrees outside the hotel.

Nice hotel
    • Superior Queen Room with River View

The hotel is green and smoke free. Unfortunately it smells of smoke once you get out from the lift to head out to our room. Our next door neighbor smoked in their room. I know so because i could smell it so strong. I had to put the sheet under my door to keep the smell from entering into my room. I almost choked.

Very near to nanjing st where the happenings and shopping places are. The bund is within walking distance. Nice view of the river.

Mediocre, and not a good value for the price. Would not stay again because of the staff.
    • Superior Queen Room with City View

The staff was rude and not helpful. They were not willing to answer our questions and were quick to dismiss us when we needed help.

Close to Nanjing Road and close to the subway.

Won't be back
    • Executive Double Room

Poor service. Lobby lounge not open. Bathroom not replenished. No exec lounge despite representation. No free 2 hrs/day meeting room despite representation. No airport transfer despite representation. No good really.

Convenience of loacatio

Nearby to the Bund
    • Superior Twin Room with City View

Their midnight staffs, cancelled my booking even though having putting the remarks of late arrival. Morning staffs much better in service.

Nearby to the Bund

Close to the bund area with good value for money
    • Budget Twin Room without Window

- some front desk receptionists are on their phone in late night and unwilling to engage work apparently

- close to the Bund area - friendly valet at the reception helping calling taxi and carrying luggage - good value for money if you don't want a room with windows, which is good for sleeping too (dark room)

Nice hotel with excellent location and good value for money
    • Superior Twin Room with River View

We had to change the room twice because the a/c was not working properly. the first night was terrible. Finally they moved us to a renovated floor where everything is impeccable but it was on the 5th floor so the view was not as the previous higher rooms

The location and the view in some of the rooms is awesome. It's very clean and comfortable. The rooms are spacious

Excellent in many ways for mid level hotel. No problems in any way!
    • Superior Twin Room with River View

In the immediate neighborhood, too many industrial supply stores.

Excellent location in town. Good restaurants and shopping nearby. In the heart of the Bund area, most popular for tourists.

• Superior Queen Room with City View

The rooms were small and stinky with really old furniture. I have got an allergy the second I stepped into the room. Also, the aircon was super-noisy. What was advertised as "city view" room was actually a window which looked directly at a residential building 20 meters away. Pretty disappointing.

There was nothing I liked

The Wifi was unreliable, the bar was extremely expensive.
    • Budget Double Room without Window

The Wifi was unreliable, the bar was extremely expensive.One entering the hotel at night, I was asked twice if I required the services of a prostitute by a guy at the door obviously friendly with the staff. My room had no window

Very nice!
    • Superior Queen Room with River View

I could hardly watch TV channels. WiFi is very weak. I was hard to use. I wish there was an iron for business travelers. However, I want to stay again when we go to Shanghai next.

Very nice! The night view of Huangpu River and Oriental Pearl through the window in night was fantastic. The room was large and clean. The better thing is that it does not smell of cigarettes. It was a great trip.

The location of the hotel is very good for sightseeing in...
    • Superior Queen Room with River View

Taxi from the Maglev to the hotel was a disaster - the driver did not show the meter and ripped us off. Should have argued with him more and refused to pay. Hotel shuttle back to the airport was excellent.

The location of the hotel is very good for sightseeing in Shanghai - easy to get to the underground and close to the Bund.

Stayed there 3 times and will stay there again, when we travel to Shanghai
    • Superior Queen Room with City View

We like it and took our parents there this time. Our 3rd visit to Shanghai. We live in China now and this is the only hotel in Shanghai that we would stay, as it is good value for money.

I wouldn't stay again
    • Superior Queen Room with City View

A hotel should pride itself on the cleanliness of its hotel reception conveniences, unfortunately with this hotel it wasn't the case. The hotel lobby toilets were absolutely disgusting.

Close to all you need
    • Superior Queen Room with River View

We were three days, my wife and I, in those three days we drsnk 6 bottles of water, they did mot have any price label and in the chec out I have yo osy 268 yuans, 28 yuans each one, it was a robery, I wss disagree but they do not care.

Close to all you need

close to the city center
    • Superior Queen Room with City View

The personel was very rude! After check in they sent us to the room that has not been cleaned (food on the floor, things everywhere, very messy, bed was not made up). When we came to the reception they told us in very arogant and loud voice there are no clean rooms and we need to wait. We booked and paid for Superior room with Queen bed but they give us different cathegory room (small room, very old, small bed). After asking they just told me the rooms I booked are already full and they can do nothing about that. The cleaning service usualy came about 4 p.m. in the afternoon. Poor quality for a high price!

close to the city center

An excellent Chinese hotel walking distance from the Bund.
    • Suite with River View

The coffee is drinkable but not great. Like all hotels the minibar prices are on the high side.

A Chinese hotel (not a western one) in an excellent location with friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

Beware of the deposit process
    • Superior Twin Room with City View

On the first day of the booking, I didn't get one of the 2 rooms I had booked, and as the hotel was full, I was accommodated within a single family. They have taken a deposit from my credit card, which has still not been refunded 3 weeks later.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

Not worth the 4 stars they claim to be.
    • Superior Twin Room with City View

Unprofessional people at the reception. They should have taken an authorisation on my credit card on the first day, instead I believe they have charged me. The deposit is 35% more that the whole stay's costs. on checking out, I had to additionally pay the stay's costs, now 3 weeks later I still haven't been refunded. Staff barely speak English, hotel is not that clean, unless you specifically ask to clean a space in the room, they will not vacuum clean.

Location is good, near Nanjing East area, easy access to buses and metro, and walking distance from the waterfront. Fortunately got 1 staff that could understand English and help us out.

Good locaiton. Everything else poor. Won't stay here again.
    • Superior Queen Room with City View

1) The rooms were tiny 2) The city view was terrible 3) The A/C didn't cool the room. (Problem in all Chinese hotels it seems) 4) Upon seeing my room, I was horrified at the view and wanted to switch to a different view and was informed that I would have to pay $50 per day (so about $250 extra for my 5 days) while on Booking.com earlier I had seen the riverview rooms was a total of $50 extra for all 5 nights.

1) The location was great.

• Reviewed: 4 April 2017

Beautiful views and central location
    • Superior Twin Room with River View

Wonderful location and our room had a view of the river and the incredible Shanghai skyline. The Bund is less than 10 minutes walk away. Staff very helpful. Great breakfast. Considering the location, very good price.

• Reviewed: 17 December 2016

Wonderful!
    • Superior Queen Room with City View

Some areas smelled of cigarette smoke.

Loved the location-easy to get around. The manager, Philip was very helpful and generous in accommodating our requests. It was also an advantage that he spoke good English.

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

Good location, big clean room but Unfriendly staffs
    • Budget Double Room without Window

Staffs are not friendly. Staffs are not willing to call taxi for you even when it rains heavily, i was told to walk to metro and take metro...very disappointing

Big room, clean, about 10 mins walk to metro.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

Value for your money nothing more
    • Superior Queen Room with City View

Staff behind the counter are such helpless bunch individuals and have no compassion to travellers that just spent twenty or more hours to get there no greetings and they have hard solid faces

Location and the river view

Splendour over the river
    • Suite with River View

There were some dubious marks on the wall. Room could have done with fresh decor, felt it had not been done for some years.

Massive bed. Definitely worth asking for river view.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

Good location.
    • Suite with River View

Constant smell of smoke in a no smoking floor/room. No Wifi in the room. Wet floor, there was a soaking patch of carpet in the corner of the suite.

Good location.

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

Helpful staff and 5 star service.
    • Budget Double Room without Window

Great location close to the subway and a short walk to the Bund. I stayed at the economy room without a window. I can say I got a 3 star rate for 5 star service.Pleasantly surprised and greatly satisfied.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

Worst hotel I have ever stayed
    • Superior Twin Room with City View

Seriously this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed. Staffs never smile at you, they don't answer your questions, and they don't solve problems for you. We paid for a one-night fee two days before the day we actually checked in and this fee was described as a deposit by the hotel and this mean to be given back to us 10 days ago and we still didn't receive it now, and when we called back to this hotel they said there is nothing to do with them and they will not give the money back. I am literally disappointed with this hotel and I don't know how this can be a four-star hotel. It is dreadful.

• Reviewed: 18 July 2016

Search for something better....
    • Superior Queen Room with City View

Rude reception, they charged 200 rmb more than the price agreed , room was terrible, a/c was broken, no shower, no shampoo and even hand soap on the room....overall a terrible experience...

There's nothing to like in that hotel...

Great hotel for location.
    • Superior Queen Room with City View

Showers were not well maintained. Tiles were lose.

Location and price

Bed like concrete

Location and price

Everything’s ok.

Price more expensive

Closed to the bund around 15 min Comport

I don t like that hotel
    • Superior Queen Room with City View

Bad

Wifi don t working

Disaster on The Bund
    • Budget Double Room without Window

rooms without windows, without hot water, old furniture, dirty

We have stay here now 4 times and will return every time we...
    • Superior Queen Room with City View

We have stay here now 4 times and will return every time we visit Shanghai.

Do not like

Bad receiption guy

Do not like

location, close to the Bund

location, close to the Bund

Credit card was charged several times and it made the stay a whole mess, but the location is good.
    • Superior Queen Room with City View

The beds were hard and the staff not very friendly.

The view from the room was wonderful.

It is what it is. If I was in the area I might stay there again.
    • Superior Twin Room with City View

Their attempt at English Breakfast was somehow 'lost in translation'.

Pleasant can be better!

It's old and need to be upgraded. On last day of my stay, the room door n toilet door locks not working!

Good locality! Near MRT n tourist area!

Good location, good stuff

Price

Good location, good stuff

Close to metro and bund

Poor english. Dirty surroundings

Close to metro and bund

It was good except that after paying for an extra guest, we didn't get the amenities for the person.
    • Superior Queen Room with City View

We paid extra for the extra bed, but was not given extra pillows or blanket or towels. That was not acceptable.

Good quality service, rooms clean and neat, price was very...
    • Superior Queen Room with City View

Good quality service, rooms clean and neat, price was very good value.

Fantastic Art Deco hotel by the river lovely view of The Bund

The view is amazing!!!

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

The location was great.
    • Budget Double Room without Window

The location was great. Near the subway and main shopping street. Service staff was very helpful too.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

great view!

great view!!!!

Good location but terrible service

Staff service.

Reception staff were lazy and unprofessional

I was given a free upgrade to a suite, and the views were...
    • Superior Queen Room with River View

I was given a free upgrade to a suite, and the views were absolutely stunning.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Position of the hotel and room with view are excellent

Position of the hotel and room with view are excellent

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

Not bad but improvement needed
    • Budget Double Room without Window

Not very courteous. The AC temperature could not be adjusted properly

The veiw was good.The rooms were large and clean.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

Amazing value for the money
    • Family Twin Room

No allow people to solicite yiu inrhe doorstep

Huge room and very comfortable- better value for the money than Sofitel

We liked our stay at The Bund Riverside.
    • Superior Twin Room with River View

Restaurant at 17th floor is ok for breakfast, but lunch offers were not delicious.

We liked our stay at The Bund Riverside.

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

Old Shanghai Central
    • Superior Twin Room with River View

Decor dated, needs a refurb. Throwback to the 90's.

Proximity to Subway and Nanjing Road.

• Reviewed: 4 December 2016