Reviews of The Opposite House

No.1 Building, No. 11 Sanlitun Road , Chaoyang, 100027 Beijing, China

#12 of 594 hotels in Beijing

• Studio 45

I don't have a negative comment about the hotel. It was excellent.

Ideal location for shopping, restaurants and nightlife. Staff was extremely welcoming, friendly and helpful. Small touches like lip balm and lotion left in the room as gifts were special. The room was clean, updated, modern - love the design.

• Studio 45

There was a pure glass partition between the room and the bathroom which felt kind of like dangerous accident waiting to happen, because it was so transparent. Also, the locker room for the gym and pool lacked hangers for towels and stuff.

The room was very comfortable. Very soft pillows. Excellent ( and I have worn them over the world) slippers. I enjoyed the wooden bath and the showers.

• Studio 45

There is nothing I didn’t like from my experience. All was wonderful.

The opposite house team made our stay a wonderful and unique experience. All was amazing. We were upgraded to a wonderful room. The hotel is exactly the same as you see on the website. Rooms are very new and very clean. Excellent location. All personnel is so helpful and so happy to satisfy your requests. One time I couldn’t find the ATM and the hotel manager took the time to walk me there The personnel speak a fluent English. Thank you Jason and Mindy for all. So appreciated. We are so happy for the choice we made. Definitely We will choose opposite house again. Thank you opposite house. We have had all what we need for a wonderful holiday.

• Studio 70

Design not functional, neither bath tub nor sofa were comfortable to use - just looked cool

Highly professional staff, efficient check in, personal feeling (like coming back to friends, although it had been my first stay), very spacious room, cool design

• Studio 45

The woodwork is beginning to show a little age, understandable since it is minimally finished.

This is a stylish hotel in what is arguably the best (well, the hippest at least) part of Beijing. Everything is done in a minimal style that might not appeal to everyone, especially the unusually dark lobby. Rooms are very comfortable and there is a ton of water pressure in the showers. Not cheap but compared to some of the newer hotels in this area it is actually becoming a bit of a bargain. The duck restaurant in the basement is always good: everything is well prepared, not just the duck.

• Studio 45

Just that there was some construction work outside, but that's about it. We had a letter from management apologizing for it, but it wasn't even their fault.

EVERYTHING. I think it is just the very best hotel I have ever been in my life. Spatious, clean, super comfortable, kind staff, free minibar. Two people fit in the buthtub without problem, and they have free rose-aromatic bath salts. Now I'm going to have a second baby, and it is not a joke.

• Studio 70

The hotel decor will need some refreshing soon but the design is there excellent. The breakfast is very nice only the Chinese breakfast can be better , the western breakfast was also very good but I’m not a fan of Italian sausage, it’s so garlicky and I prefer English country sausage which I think more generally favorite for most people, The water in the swimming pool can be a bit warmer

Everything is at its best , staff is super nice, heard many good thing about this hotel and got everything as expected only minors that we not as satisfied but not so important. This Hotel is one of the best I ever stay beside lack of high-rise view , I can’t see any major problem , I’m very very happy that chose to stay here , worth every dime

• Studio 70

Pool was actually quite cold as was external temp so not that inviting.

Swire Hotels have created a magic formula for luxe, design focused, guest-centric experiences and this their first hotel ticks all the boxes. Big rooms, super comfy beds, loved the wooden baths; good selection of east & west restaurants but above all it’s the staff who go out of their way to make your stay off the charts. We’re big Upper House fans and looking forward to staying at The Middle House and Temple House soon!

Very bad experience. Definitely not worthy. Except the design, there’s nothing I can sense that it’s a five star hotel. Totally not worthy, inexperienced staff, the worst experience that I have on booking.

• Studio 45

Customer service on my room reservation change request

I tried to change my reservation with the staff when I was checking out on Mar 20, changing my next check-in day to Mar 27 instead of the 26. They told me I had to go through Booking.com and that there was nothing they could do. Booking.com said they would email OH and ask if they could change it because OH had a 100% CANCELATION CHARGE (in other words I would be paying for the night anyway). I never heard back, the Opposite House said they never got an email from Booking, of course, Booking said they did.... anyway, by the time Opposite House found it, it was less than 7 days and they said there was nothing you could do because it was within 7 days (which it wasn't when I asked them to change the first time) and charged me for 2 nights. I spend 30 nights a year in Beijing, charging me the extra night was a winning of the battle but they may have lost the war... Unfortunate because otherwise, I like the hotel a lot. (maybe, booking.com is the problem, I never really found out, but the hotel should have given me a break)

• Studio 70

Only 2 minor glitches: We stayed in room 421 and it was a little bit noisy ( neighbour room and street). The indoor pool was really cold!

We stayed for 3 nightstands a generous 70m2 room with our 4 yo daughter and our 8 month old baby. TOH set up a beautiful tipee in the room with toys and books for our daughter to play, opus a crib for our baby. Staff was really attentive, and kind, and helped us throughout. Our original booking was for 4 days but we had to reschedule last minute our flight. They helped us to contact the airline in Beijing and only charged for the nights we stayed. The hotel is in a new comercial development full of fancy shops and great restaurants, very convenient for chillaxing after a day of sightseeing!

• Studio 70

The only detail I can think of: the breakfast buffet could include a few additional hot dishes in order to match the awesomeness of the hotel! (otherwise: very good machiatos, fresh juices and pastries!)

Simply put: one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in. Everything was amazing - the friendly and super helpful staff, the incredible rooms and indoor swimming pool. Would absolutely recommend and go back!

• Studio 45

So Elegant and quite . Best hotel in Beijing from my point of view . The staff and the front desk Manager have been very kind and helpfull! Would definetely stay again !

• Studio 70

No supermarket nearby, if you want to buy some snacks or fruits, you need to find somewhere else.

Great hotel at centralized shopping area, food, shopping at fingertips!

• Studio 45

Perfect in all aspects. The staff were super helpful and always available - Everyone seemed to know me by name and aware of my needs. The hotel is beautifully designed with care and attention to the smallest of details. The rooms are spacy, comfy and well lit. a bed is perfect... What can I say ...10!

• Studio 45

One of the best hotels I’ve ever stayed at. There is literally nothing to change. The reception staff was very kind and helpful. The room very stylish and comfortable. The small gifst during turndown showed the hotel truly cares about customer service. Pool and gym are beautiful and the bar as well as village coffee have a very good menu. Would come over and over again.

• Studio 45

Breafast good but not great: the breafast formula needs probably a refresh. The location may be wonderful if your activities are based around Sanlitun, but not easy if you need to cross the traffic jam of Gongti Bei Lu: ask for help to the staff if you need to arrange other short trips, they will come out with the best solution to avoid traffic jam.

The Opposite House brings a new, modern concept of hospitality that makes all the other traditional hotel, even the good one, boring. The modernity does not sacrifice at all the customer service (which was wonderful) nor the hotel facilities (try the wonderful swimming pool).

• Studio 45

When I asked for more cola(the mini bar is free of charge), the staff asked me to swap with the drinks(beers) that I did not drink. Actually I can pay for any extra drinks but this request makes me feel really bad.

Very high ceiling, comfortable & friendly

• Studio 70

Power outlets were hard to find in the room, and the food wasn't that good.

The staff was incredibly helpful and the bath was perfect. The service was definitely the most notable thing about my stay.

• Studio 45

the location is a bit far from the metro, which is a great way to travel when you're adventurous (and hate the traffic jams on Beijings roads). the area is quite "western", mainly a number of shopping districts, and a residential area for diplomats - but many guests will stay becasue of that, so all really just personal taste.

luxurious, minimalist, big space, great gym and spa area with a lovely pool. cool design.

• Studio 70

Best location in BJ. Located smack dab in Sanlitun, a safe area for foreigners, where many speak English. Staff was superior and made the stay wonderful.

• Studio 45

The best hotel in Beijing as the architect - Kengo Kuma from Japan is very famous for his unique styles. The hotel especially the interior is a minimalist's heaven. The location is superb since it is among one of the most vivid shopping and art district in Beijing.

• Studio 45

walked out with my 2 big suitcases and got a cab, no staff came and help... during the night was really loudly bcs of the surround pop bars , long flights and sleepless night, pff~

good location

• Studio 95 - Summer Package

If you like minimalism and modernism without sacrificing comfort, this is the hotel for you. Also a solicitous and helpful staff. We ate in all the restaurants and the food is excellent. A wonderful hotel. Recommended without reservation.

• Studio 45

Excellent overall experience! A beautiful design hotel, amazing staff, calm, minimal atmosphere, geat restaurant and excellent location. Thoroughly recommendable

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

• Studio 70

There is a kettle in the room but no where you can find the plug to make it work The light switch for the toilet is too far away from the actual toilet room too ...

All very very good!

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

• Studio 45

Sound proofing could have been a bit better. Sanlitun is the heart of the foreigner nightlife in Beijing, so there are a lot of people outside at night and noisy. The lower floors can hear them, though fortunately not too loud.

Location is perfect, right in the heart of sanlitun. A short walk leads you to a huge variety of stores and restaurants. Property was very high end, service excellent and comfortable.

• Studio 45

Everything was simply perfect. Loved the pure lines of the hotel, the wooden bath and staff very helpful and welcoming. They offer free electric bikes for customers too - great to go around in Beijing. They also had a free yoga class in the morning and a present (cosmetics) each day. Mini bar for free. Felt like a princess there. The best place I have stayed ever.

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

• Studio 70

Perfect hotel !!! Facilities, breakfast, excellent staff, clean and beautiful rooms.

We Stayed as guests in the hotel several times in the past and as always the Opposite house hotel is an amazing and most comfortable & beautiful hotel. Best location in Beijing.

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

• Studio 45

It's my fourth time to stay here. Excellent service, location, room, was so lucky to be upgraded. Definitely will be back to this wonderful lovely hotel.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

Nothing. Really.

I don't normally bother leaving reviews for hotels, and we do travel quite frequently, but The Opposite House deserves a mention. This is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. Design is impeccable (even took photos of our room for ideas for the day we have the chance to design our own home!), service excellent, facilities (especially the pool) are fantastic. I couldn't recommend this hotel more.

• Studio 45

Nothing..perhaps boring nye party at the venue.

Superb classy design, sophistication with excellent facilities. Top notch restaurants downstairs. Hotel is linked to a mall, perfect for cold winter nights. Staff super friendly. I had perfect 3 nights stay at this venue during nye. Also had early flight and the staff arranged hot coffee at the checkout. Small things matters.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

• Studio 45

Terrible noise from nearby Clubs through the night, in addition to endless car horn sounds. Hotel's soundproof system is poor, so we had to be tortured by endless noises inside outside of the building. Fence, which is installed alongside corridor to protect falling down to base level, looks like poor and dangerous. Breakfirst was worst among luxury hotels in Beijing.

Cozy room, Kind staff.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

• House Weekend Package

The brand of Swire's venture in a modern new hotel line is overwhelming. Secondly, the bar was always too noisy.

Other than the ventilation of the room could be improved, the hotel and the room are nice.

• Reviewed: 15 November 2016

• Studio 45

Being very very picky, but no where to hang wet towels

Everything! The design, location , staff, cleanliness, the beds, value for money, the pool and Village Restaurant...loved it all

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

• Studio 45

Some slight signs of wear and tear in room paintwork - but that's about it!

The whole vibe. The brilliantly helpful staff, the free minibar, the great pool, the deliciously comfy bed linen and the super thoughtful turn down touches.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

Can't think of anything.

The location is fantastic, right in the middle of the Taikooli shopping distric and the terrific staff are so easy to deal with. Zelotes Lam in particular was genuinely warm and helpful. The Hotel style is modern, and fun. Very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

• Studio 45

Not very close to tube or touristic spots. On the pricey side.

Superb hotel and facilities; staff is very attentive. Overall excellent experience, and will make sure to come back when we next come to Beijing.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

• Studio 45

My first room got leakage after a heavy rain and after I let them know the situation, the manager took immediate action to change the room and prepared fruit snacks as a token of apology. Although I`m quite satisfied with the way the handled the situation, it revealed the poor maintenance of the hotel. Plus throughout my stay, there was no AC on the top floor corridor. It also seemed that the staffs don't treat repeated customers differently. Well it's one of my favorite hotels in beijing and much improvement is needed to keep the standard.

This is not the first time I stayed here and as usual I like the overall design and the feeling of going home with this hotel. The bedding is so comfortable. Service is right to the point.

• Reviewed: 14 July 2016

• Studio 45

it's already time that with breakfast guests could get properly made cappuccino - then there wouldn't be any reason to leave hotel at all!

couldn't get taxi on time so hotel offered complimentary ride with their stylish mini courtesy car

• Reviewed: 7 July 2016

noise from street.

good location in center of salitun bar and shopping area, good breakfast package, very good and friendly front desk.only complaint is my room had alotof noise from street.....ask for room at higher lever and studio 45 room are enough, studio 70 are corner units and just waste of space.

• Studio 70

The hotel is incredible, and the staff are even more impressive! A terrific experience.

Bathroom door wouldn't close

Unique styles

Better mattress, too lumpy

Contemporary styles

• Studio 70

Really accommodating. Each day, they leave you a little surprise for you.

The Mall was always c

• Studio 70

The room is really large and airy. The design is superb. I love their healthy restaurant.

• Studio 70

very nice hotel and good location

• Studio 45

Room seems a bit tired now, especially the wooden part of the bathroom.

Have stayed here a few times. Staff are always super friendly.

• Studio 70

Excellent hotel. Beautiful architecture. Fantastic location.

• Studio 70

The building design and style , the neighbor , the room, the service , the bar , the restaurants ... one of the finest hotels in China for my taste

• Studio 45

The best of China and Japan!

• Studio 45

Only curtain for the bathroom

• Studio 45

Amazing Property in an amazing location, very inspiring...

• Studio 45

Staff were amazingly helpful, especially when I lost my credit card!

• Studio 45

A fantastic hotel although a bit costly

• Studio 45

Gifts from the hotel every day Minimalist design

• Studio 45

great place, and beautiful . Hotel.

Bath is uncomfortable

super big wooden bathtub

• Studio 45

There is no slippers in the room.

very good location and well degined hotel room. Kind staff and upgrade my room.

Pool was a little cold.

Huge, sleek modern room. Really comfy king size bed. Minibar complimentary. Really helpful staff.

Nice design, comfortable beds

• Studio 70

Best hotel in Beijing Keep coming back there every trip to Beijing and every time they exceed expectations! Really excellent staff and service

• Studio 45

The location was perfect. The room was great. The staff was amazing.

• Studio 70

Need outlets for charging phone

The location. The service. The staff.

• Studio 70

The hip cool atmosphere in the entire hotel with its friendly and highly professional staff.

• Studio 45

the Mesh bar could stay open later

The room was big, clear, modern, very well equiped, in one word great!!!

• Studio 45

Great location - walking distance to everything. Lots of restaurants within 5 minute walk, big mall next to it.

• Studio 45

Attention to details in the room.

• Studio 45

It was truely an outstanding hotel. Location was perfect, staff were perfect and the rooms were beautiful. Would definitely stay there again

Construction noise outside

Dinner at Surrano

• Studio 95 - Summer Package

Breakfast too poor

Beautiful decoration and location

• Studio 45

The bath, it was too uncomfortable.

breakfast bowl smoothie was frozen and therefore difficult to eat with limited time

Browse The Opposite House traveller photo gallery