Reviews of Castelli Hotel 3 stars

38 Ouzounian Steet, 1504 Nicosia, Cyprus

#19 of 19 hotels in Nicosia

Location near by from the active places e.
    • Superior Single Room

The doors close very fast and make boom sounds, the phone was not working

Location near by from the active places e.g restaurants markets, reasonable price, clean, breakfast

Do Your Research....
    • Executive Double Room

We arrived on a Sunday afternoon and the first thing we noticed, as we entered the building, was an odd smell about the hotel. We walked up to reception and went to book in. The staff were not that welcoming and when I asked about the car park, was greeted with a curt reply as to why was I asking...I said I wanted to park my car in it as per the request on my booking...I was told about how it works, so parked my car in a very large piece of land with no security. The room itself was of a funny design but functional. Shower room and toilet, was a bit on the small side. The state of the bed lining was not good with marks all over it and not the freshest we have experienced. The lighting in the room had a fault, which made them flash and make a "PING" noise every 5 to 10 seconds. I went downstairs to appraise reception of our findings and was told that there is no one around to sort them out but that he would, "Make a note of it". The area that the hotel is set in is right by the bus station so it was filled with many many people hanging around and looking a bit unsettling. There were some hanging around the car park of the hotel and as our room overlooked the car park we noticed some of them looking round our vehicle. This was the final straw, as far as my partner was concerned and I must admit, that I agreed with her. We left the hotel and looked for better accommodation that would be more attentive to our needs and feel, rightly or wrongly, less oppressive and unable to go out in the evening. We found it, booked in there and then returned and collected our belongings. I checked out, stating reasons given and he said he understood. If you are a business traveler, it might be ok for you...if you are a couple on a trip to Nicosia for a weekend away, I would advise you do your research before settling on this hotel. I haven't yet written to "Booking.com" to tell them of our experience, but will do.

There was nothing that we liked.

Nice hotel in old town of the city

There was only one electric outlet in the room & in order to use it i had to unplug frdge.

Everything was good. Stuff was nice & polite. Breakfest - good hotel brekfest whith enought things to choose.

Avoid unless you are desperate
    • Superior Single Room

The cleanliness. The bed I slept in had bed bugs. I ended up being bitten all over. Spoke with management who said they had never had any complaints before.

if they decrease their prices around 30 Euro per night for single room then it may be tolarated

room with very old bathroom facilities room with a small window looking up to a wall at 0,5 meters distance small window filled outside with rat excrements they did not even changed my bathroom towels after 3 days of usage room service is a lough very poor quality of room service food rude personel in breakfast room they charge the water and the extra coffee at breakfast no smoking room availability dirty carpets in common areas

the location the wifi strength

The hotel was downtown.
    • Superior Single Room

My sink was blocked and rusty. Both my room and the room of my colleague. And the air-conditioning had a really annoying sound.

The hotel was downtown. It is a bit old building. But the rooms were nice and big.

Quite pleasant but not any more than that.

I was supposed to get a superior room. I don't think it was particularly superior, although that would depend on on what it is being compared with I suppose. We were only staying for one night so it was not worth making an issue of it.

Good breakfast.

Excellent overnight stay in a very well located hotel

Access to the hotel was complicated with all the one way systems and no road names on the way into Nicossia.

Bed was really comfy and huge amount of room for two. Bathroom was great. Breakfast was plentiful and very diverse with lots of choice.

Good, more than adequate for my purposes.
    • Superior Single Room

Hall carpets were not hoovered which didn’t give a good impression. This did not reflect the state of my room, restaurant area etc which were perfectly acceptable. I think clean carpets/halls/corridors would improve the impression of the hotel considerably.

Breakfasts good, room clean and tidy, reception staff pleasant, helpful and engaging. Didn’t use bar or any other facility hence little further comment to add, sorry!

We enjoyed our stay there very much and recommend it to friends.

Room cleaning

The location in the Old City and the entire conditions at the hotel are excellent. The staff in the front desk is friendly and very helpful. They assisted us a lot in planning the trip, restaurants etc. The WiFi is excellent, likewise the air-condition.

Great hotel in Nicosia

Large clean room with a balcony, right in the city centre, close to the bus station, freindly staff, great buffet breakfast. The bathroom had a tub and the shower pressure was perfect. Would definitely stay there again.

Never be back

No A.C. had to open window however the outside noise and heat kept us both up all night. Left with 3 lovely mosquito bites.

Only saving grace was nice staff.

Nice people and location but in need of modernisation and repair.
    • Executive Single Room

The air con didn’t work properly so it was very warm all night even with the windows open. The shower needed replacing and the WiFi was barely sufficient for email.

Good location right by the old town

Reasonable city centre hotel

The TV had just 5 chanbeks all if which were poor picture quality. There were a few small black marks on the bathroom grouting. Fluff underneath my bedside table. My room was on the first floor so I looked for the stairs rather than depend on the lift. I found an emergency exit but these stairs had bed linen and a fan at the bottom and an upright matters. While they did not block the stairs, the emergency exit stairs should be kept clear at all times

Free parking. Full British style breakfast included. Fairly quiet location for a city centre and very close to the main bus station.

Really spacious room, big sized bed, minimum outside noise.

Tricky lights mechanism, the sun was coming in through the sides of the curtains in the morning.

Really spacious room, big sized bed, minimum outside noise.

Not comfortable due to lack of AC

No air conditioning was switched on despite the temperatures were high 28 to 30 degrees . Very uncomfortable to sleep. Management said it was not hot enough to switch on AC The bathroom was small since we booked an executive room The mattress was very hard to sleep on

Warm welcome Staff were curtious and helpful Breakfast was good

I stay at Castelli at least 3 times a year and strongly...
    • Executive Double Room

I stay at Castelli at least 3 times a year and strongly recommend this place. The staff are very accommodating, it's in a great location, great value for money and is a very comfortable hotel. Theodoros at the reception is always absolutely amazing making sure my stay is pleasurable.

Potential of being a very nice hotel

The second room we got was very nice, but at night we figured out that a big and very bright spotlight is shining right into our room, a thing which could be easily avoided.

The hotel has good facilities and could be a really good place, but everything is really getting old by the time and it’s not being kept in order so much e.g. switches are missing, the lamps are not working etc. Anyhow the staff is very friendly and we were immediately able to change the room because it was strongly smelling like smoke.

A disappointing and bad experience

I booked a double room superior expecting to enjoy a good night's sleep. I was sorely disappointed. First of all, the room looks nothing like the pictures featured here, and the bathroom was tiny. There was not even a kettle in the room. There was a layer of dust and other peoples hairs covering the entire floor, and the toilet seat had dried faeces stains on it. Absolutely disgusting. The bed was hard and lumpy and the pillows were even harder. The walls were so thin I could hear every word my neighbours were saying in both the adjacent rooms. I checked out with a sore back from the ordeal of sleeping so uncomfortably. One reviewer mentioned they were offered slippers. I was not, but they should offer slippers with filthy floors like that. Luckily I had my own with me, which got so dirty from walking on their floors, I have since discarded them. It seems this hotel put all their efforts into making the lobby areas pleasant and forgot to take care of their guests.

Good pressure in the shower.

there are better options at the same location

very poor cleanliness. there are things that could be changed at very low cost. Bath curtains, pillows and sheets

location is great. all by walking distance

Pleasurable and enjoyable.

The bed was on wheels and moved when you sat on it due to the wooden floor but did not have stoppers or brakes to prevent this from happening.

The staff were welcoming and engaging.

Good choice if you need accomodation near the center of Nicosia.
    • Superior Single Room

All laundry needs to be replaced: Bed laundry and toilet laundry. The hotel is opposite the fire brigade. Eventually you would hear their alarms, when they leave.

The rooms are big and comfortable related to the price. They even offered slippers. Perfectly situated in the center of Nicosia.

It was comfortable stay, and would return if in Nicosia

If there would be more effort to meet my special requests, like a baby cot in the room prior to arrival, non smoking room important, none of this was fullfield. But was sorted out promptly after...

Location is top and staff is very nice and helpful

Free off-road parking.

Coffee could be improved.

Free off-road parking. Very comfortable beds. Friendly staff. Good location. Noise resistant windows. Late breakfast possible. Good WiFi. Best of all was the free upgrade to the suite. Really appreciate that. Thanks

lovely and helpful staff.
    • Executive Double Room

The executive double room is completely different than the one shown on booking.com. The bathroom is very tiny, almost half the size of the one shown in the pictures. Connecting rooms have no soundproofing at all. You can literally hear everything - even when next door guests are talking.

lovely and helpful staff. Convenient location. Decent breakfast.

Great location to explore Nicosia, but the hotel has seen better days

Bathroom was not really clean and requires renovation. Our stay was Ok, but for the price we paid - ca. 100 CHF you can get something better.

The room was fine - big enough with a sofa and balcony. The receptionist was very supportive and helped us out when we had a problem With the reservation. The location was amazing - all the attractions and restaurants are in a walking distance. We spent there one day in November and the Weather was changing a lot - we were able to come Back to hotel at any time and change. Safe and fridge in the room - basic things but not everywhere in Cyprus

- Water in the shower were very cold and low water pressure.

- Water in the shower were very cold and low water pressure. - Toilet water flushing stopped working one night. When I mentioned the water related problems in my room to the front desk, they said there are no free room and they can't fix it at the moment and I was in a rush for some meetings. After I asked again, they said there is one free room left, but the person who booked it is coming in less than 1 hour, and they could give me his room - and they will send him to another hotel and tell him the hotel is full. OF COURSE I DID NOT AGREE TO THIS. So i stayed in my room. I will not feel ok doing this to another traveler, this is not a way to start he's/she's vacation. - A.C had a setting of heat/cool but it doesn't matter what you chose, because the hotel enables only one of them. - Card of the room stopped working. - Iron didn't work and had to be replaced, Iron table was very dirty. - WIFI was very slow. - Bed was very uncomfortable and old.

A nice visit in Nikosia
    • Superior Single Room

There seemed to be a problem with the ventilation of the bathroom in my room (1st Floor, small terrace) . The smell from the kitchen was streaming into the bathroom. No safe in the room.

The location of the hotel is great for the Coty visit. Everything is in walking distance. Breakfast was Ok. Staff is very friendly.

I am very happy and satisfied with my choice of hotel. Thank you.
    • Superior Single Room

I would have liked more tea and coffee supplies in my room. I needed to be up all hours working on various reports, so extra tea and coffee would have been much appreciated. Also, the water in the bathroom was a bit tepid in the evenings.

My room was comfortable and spacious. The bathroom was superb, too. Excellent buffet breakfast on offer each morning, including plenty of delicious halloumi!

Excellent.
    • Executive Single Room

No electric kettle in room.

Wonderful staff, very helpful. Was upgraded to suite and given late check out. Big Safety Deposit Box took Laptop. Nice selection of toiletries refreshed daily. Very comfortable bed. Very good air conditioning. All in all very pleased. Thank you.

Comfortable bed and pillows, friendly reception and...

There was a not very pleasant smell coming out of the bathroom. Also the bathroom fan did not work.

Comfortable bed and pillows, friendly reception and housekeeping staff good location

hotel castelli is ok

A bit run down and in need of refurbishment

Location and friendly staff. Very good value. Reasonable breakfast. Useful to have on site parking. I wWould stay again

Not Quite Perfect but would revisit

Air conditioner made strange noises. Toast machine was feeble. Coffee facilities in room unsatisfactory.

Cheerful and helpful staff. Excellent breakfast including good hot tea.

Bad stay and will never repeat it again.

I was putting the Dont disturb flag on my door and went out to come back and be surprised that the staff ignored the dont disturb flag and entered my room to take the iron as There was only one or two irons to serve all clients!!! Bed sheets were changed only when I was fed up and requested to change them. Cleanliness is at its lowest levels not to mention the rudeness of the staff except for few of them.

This was the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. When I checked in, the receptionist was so offensive and disrespectful.

Convenient

Not enough sockets for electrical equipment. Jaded bathroom and very well used towels and sheets.

The staff were welcoming and pleasant generally with good English. It was easy to find, just inside the old town walls and only a short walk from the old town centre. On site secure parking was convenient and appreciated.

The receptionist (blond man with glasses) was very helpful...

The receptionist (blond man with glasses) was very helpful and kind in the evening. The receptionist (blond woman) who was in the morning was not kind enough.

Friendly and helpful staff at the reception desk.

The facilities (refrigerator, air-conditioning) require modernization. Thin walls do not sufficiently protect against noise from other rooms.

Friendly and helpful staff at the reception desk.

Friendly staff, Close to the attraction places

Aircondition almost not working in most of the hotels specially the rooms. Uncomfortable beds. Smell of smoke comes into the room via the vents. Old, used furniture

Friendly staff, Close to the attraction places

Staff were very friendly and helpful.

The air conditioning was only partially working. One of the rooms key cards wasn't working properly, lights would suddenly go and come back again.

Staff were very friendly and helpful.

Castelli the ideal place to stay when visiting Nicosia
    • Executive Single Room

The welcome when you arrive is warm and friendly The location is very central to the city centre. The choice for breakfast was varied The rooms are spacious The bar is comfortable and creates a relaxed atmosphere

It is a nice, well located place with very nice front desk and dinner room (breakfast) employees.
    • Superior Single Room

I needed a safety box but there weere no rooms with safety boxes, that appear as one of the features in the hotel facilities while booking through bookings.

Adequate with lots of room for improvement
    • Executive Single Room

Fixtures broken; air con not working; pastries at breakfast were very stale; no water or drinking glasses in rooms; fridge not on when arrived ; floor did not look like it had been mopped properly; bar staff not attending bar when open.

Thankfully there are lots of other hotels to choose from when were next in Nicosia
    • Executive Double Room

No mirror in the room, said it was broken and awaiting a replacement, couldn't supply anything else for me to use, which when you need to dry/straighten your hair was very difficult....... also no a/c working, so a portable freestanding one was in the room, temp wouldn't go below 26 and so so noisy it was difficult to sleep

Staff were freindly

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

Nice place from which to explore Nicosia
    • Superior Single Room

The staff was lovely and very helpful. The room was great as well, it had enough space and all the usual equipment. The location is amazing - you are just a few minutes away from the main street, but far enough not to be woken up by noisy tourists during the night.

Average facilities
    • Superior Single Room

The TV was not working and when I tried to call reception the phone was not working either. The room was smelling weird when i first got in.

Good location.

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

Castelli showing signs of age

The hotel needs to be updated and is crying out for a lick of paint. There is no bar available in the hotel The breakfast choice was very poor

The location, the friendly staff in all areas of the hotel

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

Cast- excellence!

Property located in the edge of the old town within the walls. Walking distance to shops, cafes, restaurants, greek meze places, pubs and bus stop. Staff were very helpful and properrty was well run.

Recommended
    • Executive Single Room

Breakfast was a bit poor of choices for Mediterranean standards, however they do make the absolutely excellent espresso. Staff is caring and efficient, location is great!

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Great location and hotel staff
    • Executive Single Room

It is a bit tricky to get to the hotel. But it is possible to arrange a shuttle bus from airport to the hotel.

Hotel is right in the centre of the city. Extremely close to the bus station (3 minutes walking). The hotel staff was always very polite and absolutely nice and helpful. Room was clean and nice. Breakfast included and had pretty much everything you need to get full :)

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

It was a wonderfull stay in this hotel. We enjoyed it.

The refrigerator was not working.

The staff are so friendly. The buffet is nice. The hotel is located near so many places.close to bus station, parks and ancient places.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

Bad organisation of the Castelli hotel spoilt the trip

Bad organisation - when we arrived at the Castelli, we were told they didn't have a room for us and we were taxied to another of their hotels, the Crown Inn, which was only a two star and a twenty minute walk away from the old city where we particularly wanted to be. We had only planned to stay in Nicosia for two nights so this was a real blow. The Castelli did try to compensate by offering us a complimentary dinner on the second evening but the damage was done and it spoilt the whole visit to Nicosia.

The location of the Castelli is perfect for exploring the old city and they do have on site parking which is difficult in the old city of Nicosia.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

• Executive Single Room

Room was fairly clean, room aircontition was almost dead so Room was really hot. I didn't have time to change room so I decided to stay at that room. The next day the lady at the breakfast ask me (not polite) my room number. I told her, but 5 minutes later she asked me again what was my room number. I told her, again. While I was having my breakfast, she came (3rt time) to my table in an attitude and told me:sorry sir, you are not registered... you room number is not listed... and then I told her my room number AGAIN.But this time I told her not to come near me again or ask me about my room number because the next time I will call her manager. This is not a way to treat you customers. Never ever again.

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

a pleasant hotel
    • Superior Single Room

The towels are a bit frayed and grey. The air-conditioner not too effective.

The location is very convenient; The staff are all friendly and helpful; the room is large and the bed comfortable. Although close to the town centre, the hotel is very quiet.

Parking space.
    • Superior Single Room

Cleanliness was not good. The upper side of the toilet seat was not cleaned or disinfected for one day and the side under was not cleaned at all from the day of my arrival until 3-4 days later. No possibility to have dinner in the hotel. There was no room service available. Wifi signal was not so strong. There were times that I had no problem and times especially in the afternoon that I could not get a connection or was extremely slow.

Parking space.

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

Short trip to Nicosia

Breakfast was awful food cold ran out of coffee one day no orange juice next day only one member of staff on, place just getting a bit tired , staff were very helpful but severe lack of attention to detail

Great location for centre

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

Okay but not too many stars
    • Executive Double Room

The cold water tap in the washbasin did not work likewise neither did the plug - the chap from reception came up to try and solve the problem but it needed a plumber and was quite a big job - but he did try.

The situation near the bus station had advantages and disadvantages those being the people who came in to use the money exchange shops to send cash home. However we had no problem and the hotel is situated ideally for the city wall and the old city. The rooms and linen were very clean.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

Nice place to stay and visit old Nicosia.

Excellent service and location Bear the bjs station. In the border off the historic city of Nicosia. Also near to the National Museus. We would definitely return.

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

A big disappointment

The room had nothing to do with the photos displayed on the website, an extremely small double bed, a super small room, the bathroom disappointing, a very high value for the quality of the room, very limited breakfast

Very friendly staff and good wi-fi

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

Good location but very disappointing room

The deluxe double room was not clean. White net curtain was very discoloured and very dirty. Curtains were hanging off the rail. The window surround was very dirty. The room had some nice pieces of furniture in it but were so dusty. I would not have even touched the fridge. The room needed To be deep cleaned and walls and paintwork repainted. I would not stay in this hotel again

Receptionist helpful The en- suite was clean The bed was comfortable Free wifi

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

The stuff was okay.
    • Superior Single Room

The room 383 was like a fridge, not very clean, not even a glass to drink water, i asked for an extra bed cover and they gave us a blanket with holes and stains on it!

The stuff was okay. The previous time was much better though!

• Reviewed: 1 December 2016

quite old and dirty place but with everything necessary for a short stay.

the room was not clean enough, it was constantly cold, the view from our window was terrific! and there was constant noise coming from some ventilation outside. Hotel is old and not pretty at all.

the hotel is close to the city center

• Reviewed: 15 November 2016

Good if you are interested in living in the center of the city

Rather old. Facilities (as example, bathrooms) needs repair and renewal

Very friendly and really helpful staff. Location near city-center (5 min walk) and bus-stop (2 min walk). Early breakfast (starts at 6.30)

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

Good posion to cross over to Northern Cyprus. Cleanliness is basic. Do not eat in.
    • Executive Double Room

The sofa settee you could not sit on it without sinking down to the floor.The carpet was dirty . The good size bathroom had cracks in the basin and the tile grouting was dirty. The breakfast was horrible. The eggs were all undercooked. The scrambled eggs tasted like they were cooked in water. There was no orange juice for my 5 year old Grand child on the second morning. Only Grapefruit Juice. They knew there was a 5 year old. They should have at least had juice that she could drink. The Kitchen lady was not very helpful and would not get my Grand daughter any other juice.

The room size was large. Good size television. Great location for us. Mostly friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

Great location, good staff, but the hotel itself could be better.
    • Superior Single Room

Could be cleaner, and very thin walls. Oddly, despite it being November, there was only a sheet and no blanket on the bed, so I did get quite chilly one night!

Excellent location, fast, reliable wifi, desk in the room, helpful staff - good for business travel.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

A very mediocre hotel
    • Superior Single Room

The room was small and not cozy at all. Besides a comfortable bed, there was no bedside light, a small painting or a mirror or anything decorative on the walls (or anywhere else!)! Breakfast was very poor and low quality. The room wasn't clean (very long black hair was littering on the floor during my stay) and it all felt old, dry and unwelcome.

The location was rather good (central but quiet) and the personnel were helpful.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Castelli Hotel

I cannot think of anything.

Everything was very good and the food and the staff ! It was clean and comfortable and a couple of things i asked i got it, so I recomend it. The location is excellent because you can go anywhere you like on foot (bars, restaurants, shops ....).

• Reviewed: 29 October 2016

Location was good.
    • Superior Single Room

Room needs a full restoration.. bathroom, wc, and the floor were very dirty and old... concering towels... what to say...very bad quality and probably using them for ages now without replace them...

Location was good.. the guy at the reception very helpfull and with excellent cooperation...

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

Seven Dwarfs with no Snow White

Extremely different from the photos on their official site and booking.com. When saw alive I thought they made a mistake, because I have ordered the room for the couple with big bed for two, but when I entered the room it was a bed for Seven Dwarfs even with no space for Snow White ...

WiFi was really good. Location nice - very close to old town.

• Reviewed: 5 October 2016

A DREADFUL EXPERIENCE. GOOD ONLY IF YOU HAVE NO OTHER OPTION (LIKE US).
    • Executive Single Room

EVERYTHING! DIRTY (THE ROOMS HAVEN'T BEEN HOOVERED SINCE 1974, THE CARPETS HAD ALL KINDS OF STAINS, THE BATHROOM WAS LEAKING AND FLOODING, THE BED-SHEETS WERE DIRTY ETC ETC), THE PERSONNEL POLITE BUT INEXPERIENCED, THE A/C WAS NOT FUNCTIONING (THEY OFFERED US FANS TO COOL OURSELVES UNDER 37 CELSIUS). WE HAD VISITORS TOO (ANTS)!

NOTHING WAS WORTH MENTIONED. THE LOCATION IN ONE OF THE MOST DANGEROUS NEIGHBORHOODS WITH DRUNK IMMIGRANTS FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD, SINGLES' BARS AND EVERYTHING THAT GOES WITH IT. DIRTY (THE ROOMS HAVEN'T BEEN HOOVERED SINCE 1974, THE CARPETS HAD ALL KINDS OF STAINS, THE BATHROOM WAS LEAKING AND FLOODING, THE BED-SHEETS WERE DIRTY ETC ETC), THE PERSONNEL POLITE BUT INEXPERIENCED, THE A/C WAS NOT FUNCTIONING (THEY OFFERED US FANS TO COOL OURSELVES UNDER 37 CELSIUS).

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

Good location, but not for room

Our room was on the front (175) and was very, very noisy until 2am and starting again at 5am. A room at the side overlooking the car park would probably have been quieter.

Location, staff and breakfast

I was allowed to check-in earlier.
    • Superior Single Room

When my bed moved a bit, I’ve seen, hoe dirty it was under it... much rubbish

I was allowed to check-in earlier. Many thanks

Comfortable stay in Nicosia

• Reviewed: 25 August 2018

Very good

Very good

Quiet and very good location in Nicosia.

Nothing in particular.

Quiet and very good location in Nicosia.

It doesn't seem to be 3 stars
    • Superior Single Room

Didn't like bathroom. Small and not clean. Also there was a stain on the bed.

Location and price.