Reviews of acora Hotel und Wohnen Karlsruhe This is the official star rating given to the property by an independent third party - the Hotelstars Union. The property is compared to the industry standard and scored based on price, facilities and services offered. Use the star rating to help choose your stay!

Sophienstraße 69-71, 76133 Karlsruhe, Germany

#25 of 45 hotels in Karlsruhe

The building is a bit dated. The apartments (especially doors and kitchen) look like they are from the 70s. It is not possible to get room service in the afternoon on weekends. While street parking is free, it is not easy to find a spot.

The rooms are actually small apartments with a hall with kitchenette, bathroom, and bedroom/living room. The apartment is quite spacious for one person. Bathroom has an electric heater so you can warm it up quickly in the morning. Special requests are fulfilled.

• Comfort Double Room

4 steps before you access the lift - ok, not too big a problem but something worth knowing before you bring along your 23 kg bag (+12 kg hand luggage). There is no way to access the bed if you can't handle steep staircases and no way to go for a midnight toilet break if you cannot go down steep staircases while half-asleep.

I actually liked the arrangement of the room: as you enter you have the bathroom and kitchen on your right, the living room and balcony straight ahead and on your left you have the staircase (!) that takes you up to the bedroom. The beds were comfy and the sloped ceiling gave the room character and nice lighting from the overhead window from which we had a view to back gardens from above. Clean room, elevator (once you go past the first 4 steps), friendly staff, free phone charger (against a deposit). Went there to get a good nights sleep and did just that.

The internet connection was disaster, I was there to do my thesis and rest for two days and that was impossible, the internet was not good and it was noisy. I wasn't there for a long time, but I had a sense that most of the rules were based on lack of trust.

The room was clean. Parking for the bikes. The balcony :) and small kitchen, then I could make coffee whenever I needed. The light of the room was good.

• Comfort Double Room

We chose the larger apartment size after seeing the smaller one, and it is MUCH better. The kitchen facilities were larger and there are no stairs to the sleeping area, as in the smaller rooms. There is a secure area within the underground parking garage for bicycles. There is a Rewe supermarket 100m away, plus an Asian grocery and a Turkish grocery 300m away. There are also many restaurants in this part of the city. We had a room in the back which looked out to a lot of greenery and was exceptionally quiet. We have been biking for 45 days in Europe and this was one of our best stays.

• Comfort Double Room

the system with internet vouchers is not user friendly. it is awesome that they offer high-speed internet for extra price on top of free medium speed internet, but.. it is quite painful to keep entering the log-in data all the time

the rooms are always spacious and bright. location of the hotel is quite convenient: - REWE supermarket around the corner; - city center reachable on foot; - quite part of the city; - many small restaurants around the place;

• Comfort Double Room

Steps to the loft were small and very steep. I wouldn't want to try them after too many beers :-) If you're not very nimble, you may want to skip on the loft rooms.

Good size room for the money. Separate sitting room and loft bedroom. I was satisfied with the 3-star experience.

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

. I didn't like the canceling policy. I booked 4 rooms for 13 nights with booking.com and after that I prolonged for one more night on the reception. Then I got the information from our community that we need to go back 2 days sooner than planned. I announced it on the reception 4 days in ADVANCE.and they said I can cancel the rooms for the last day because they were booked on the spot but not the ones with booking.com. I called booking and they said they don't have any problems with canceling as long as the hotel wants to do it. So I went back and they said again that the hotel will not cancel because booking.com is just saying that to me for me to be happy with them but then they will have problem with booking.com. And I know that is not true because I was canceling last day two times before, also in Germany and also booked with booking.com. So we had to stay that one day or pay anyway. And also internet was often too slow. Less than 1 Mbps. For faster connection you need to pay 4€ per day.

The rooms were nice and clean. Every room has a kitchen. There is many information about the city in every room. Staff is very polite. Shops are only few steps away.

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

I don't like that hotel charged me for double reservation because of booking.com mistake. And manager of the hotel didn't care that i spent more than 7 months in this hotel - paying more than 10.000 EUR. They just charged me 48 EUR for not my mistake. You must be small poor to charge your customer this small money. Typical german way of thinking! Bravo!

• Reviewed: 26 January 2017

• Comfort Double Room

Chairs and armchairs in living room with plastic covers.

Location not so good for centre, but good for appeal court (OLG). Well appointed room with large safe. Good space - living room as large as some complete rooms, but bedroom here is separate. Kitchenette and kettle. Televisions in both rooms.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

The receptionists could do with a lesson in customer service. Lesson one should be how to smile. Had the feeling I was giving them work to do against their wishes. Having to pay a ten euro deposit on an iron and iron board was a little over the top. The bed pillows were awful.

The cleaning staff were help and the room was cleaned every day.

• Reviewed: 17 November 2016

The kitchenette is nice to prepare some simple meal but more dishware and appliance will be appreciable.

The bed was very confortable. The dressing-room was huge :)

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

• Comfort Double Room

Breakfast options was limited. I can have better breakfast with less price having a kitchenette in my room. Specially when there is a big Supermarket (REWE) Infront of the Hotel.

Room was very nice with a kitchenette.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

That we had to leave after two nights :-)

Very friendly staff and nice room for a good price. Having the option to rent a parking space was nice (although I don't know whether it was worth the price; because we only parked at night).

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

• Comfort Double Room

The funny staircase can be a bit annoying, even maybe a hazard. There was a lack of curtains on the small windows so the sun shines directly on your face when it rises

A small studio with a mezzanine that was really cool, the bed was very comfy and there were all the necessary equipments.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2016

kitchenette could be improved with a coffee maker, beer glasses and a pair of scissors

kitchenette, plenty of chairs, little balcony, spacious and very clean room, tourist and practical information supplied.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

- no A/C - wi-fi speed

- TV with many channels - desk with a lot of info regarding the hotel and the neighbourhood (restaurants) - big safe box ideal for a laptop - small kitchenette with everything necessary to prepare a meal - free bottle of sparkling water - small balcony - cleanliness

Bed was not comfortable

Nothing was bad

Big rooms, nice place in city center

Very slow free internet connection on the edge of possibility to use it.

Quiet during night, clean room.

• Comfort Double Room

Rooms are very conjusted,Wifi has poor strength.

not as such

Wi-fi not free

Great location, free parking, friendly customer service. We will stay there again :)

• Comfort Double Room

The stairs into the bedroom

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

expensive breakfast

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

No channels in English, French or Spanish Limited access to the Internet

Very central

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

Nothing, it was perfect

Warm, quiet, comfortable and very helpful staff. Nice touches of free fruit at reception, maps of tram system etc

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

slow wifi, why upsell premium wifi when the modern standard of wifi has been raised?

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

• Comfort Double Room

Rooms are awesome with the balcony. Staff very friendly and patient.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

The Bathroom has no ventilation.

The "superior" rooms are very big and comfortable. The staff is friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

really soft mattress

Very nice crew, the location

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Works Well for a family of 5

• Reviewed: 10 May 2016

- Same as last time, one of the mattresses were a bit too squeaky, need to be replaced. - Got a different room to what I had booked. Although the room we got was an upgrade, I wanted the room that I had booked for a specific reason. But it all worked out it the end. - Requested a cot to be in the room. Like last time, there wasn't one. Once I asked about it at reception, they apologised and were willing to get one set-up for me straight away.

- Friendly staff - Quiet area - Great location - Good facilities - Very clean

• Reviewed: 4 May 2016

Found this place whilst searching in Heidelberg. It is, in fact, 60 kms away. We were given a smoking room and when we complained about the smell, we were not offered another room, instead the cleaning lady came with a spray however the smell kept coming back. Staff did not bother to tell us that on Sundays, all shops and restaurants are closed so we had nothing to eat. No access from reception to hotel to car park. 'Free wi-fi' was worth about what we paid for it.

Basic, clean room.

• Reviewed: 3 May 2016

Power sockets not placed at convenient location to charge mobile phones. No extractor fan on top of cooker, so we were scared the fire alarm would go off when cooking (there is a big fine for that). Could be good to have a sofa.

Big room with a nice view. Good kitchen and living room. Underground parking (extra cost). Confortable bed.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2016

We stayed there three times because our niece lives in Karlsruhe. The woman in the reception the first time and a young man in the third time were very nice, but the women in the reception in the second time we went was very unfriendly.

Comfortable bed, big room and big bathroom, good location. The room is very big, comfortable and well furnished.

• Reviewed: 5 March 2016

The room was cold The hotel was far from the center The management was quite rude Actually I asked them to cancel the first night (namely to check in the second) but stay three nights more and they told me that I had to also pay for the first night that I did not go. The manager was very inflexible and was not there to talk to, to arrange the alterations of my stay because it was Saturday! I told them that I am a very good customer of bookings and they did not care at all! The service was terrible! I asked for an iron and they made me carry on foot to my room the whole ironing Board on my own! This property is a defamation for bookings!

• Reviewed: 10 January 2016

That was unpleasant experience for us. The room was tiny and gloom with narrow stairs, walking up & down was pretty dangerous, especially at night. We were not informed about price changes (because of some holidays) and were unpleasantly surprised at our check-out time, the price were much higher then it was on booking.com. That was expensive and absolutely uncomfortable, the price doesn't worthy it.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2015

Mini kitchen is not practical, there is no hoover at all and no oven or microwave oven. Also plates and tools in kitchen are poor.

Location is perfect, nice and peaceful and there's a market just next corner.

• Reviewed: 19 November 2015

The strong disinfectant smell along the corridors, shabby appearance. Was expensive for a small single room in an uninspiring environment.

convenient location, room had basic cooking facilities, wifi, was small but clean, and quiet.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2015

Breakfast is definitely expensive, free wifi is painfully slow unless you pay for extra speed (almost nobody ask that anymore). They offer free tea bags in kitchen equipped rooms only for the first day, which is weird.

Clean, spacious rooms, comfortable.

• Reviewed: 12 October 2015

Staff was very rude when we asked for free internet vouchers. When we needed to check out earlier, the receptions and the manager were very rude to us and refused to refund the rest of the nights which were supposed to be refunded partly according to the booking policy. In general, we found it's very difficult to find 'hospitality' in this hotel.

Location is fair.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2015

One day our towels which were all dirty and placed as asked on the floor were not changed. When we complained, they had almost no towels left and gave us only a few small ones for the hands. Their "comment was "well, this can happen..." Well, we think that no this should not happen in such a hotel. Air conditioning is not very common in Karlsruhe but during our stay we had 40 degrees one day and then it becomes incredibly hot in the apartments under the roof.

A washing machine is available in the basement. For breakfast they make a big effort to account for special needs, such as lactose fee products. It is quite difficult to get a family room or small serviced apartment in Karlsruhe elsewhere.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2015

Although the room itself was OK and well-maintained, the building, the elevator and the hallway were a bit shabby.

Proximity to the city center (10 minutes walking distance), large (duplex) room, good kitchen and bathroom facilities, parking space, breakfast

• Reviewed: 30 July 2015

The lady at reception advised that would have to charge more for another room as there was only one bed in room selected and she could not leave reception. Soon after she walked across the street and bought a packet of cigarettes. Attitude was disgraceful. Refund is required for over payment which I had no choice to pay with a young child.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2015

The elevator was very small, not recommended for claustrophobic. The hotel is located in a quite densely populated residential area, so on Saturday we had to deal with loud music coming from a neighbor partying. But it was okay, the party didn't last long :)

We stayed in a Superior Double Room. It was the biggest room I have ever stayed in a hotel! Very clean. Very good value for price.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2015

Breakfast only until 10am, not so cheap (12€/person). Better use kitchenette when traveling with kids

Mezzanine with 2 double + 1 single bed ideal for families with children. Good location close to the centre. Not much parking placed around, better to use hotel garage for 6€/day.

• Reviewed: 21 June 2015

just you need to purchase internet connection stairs could be problem for children or older people

clean room, big space, good location, nice staff , nice balcony in the room

• Reviewed: 15 June 2015

Lack of A/C was a bit of an issue due to the hotel heating up quite a bit due to sudden outbreaks of summer. Bathroom was merely adequate.

Having a kitchenette and a full-size fridge is a big plus. Mini balcony was also nice to enjoy breakfast.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2015

Older furniture and building (re-used apartement building which might have been modern in the 80's)

Big clean room, very good parking (private garage)

• Reviewed: 9 May 2015

Absolut ruhiges, grosszügiges Zimmer, Aussicht ins Grüne, Balkon mit Sitzgelegenheit, Kitchenette, ein kleiner Esstisch, ein Schreibtisch, ein Couchtisch mit zwei bequemen Stühlen, es blieben keine Wünsche offen.

• Reviewed: 23 February 2015

We stayed in the annex building which is a converted bloc of residential flats it seems, so quite a lifeless hall of small stone stairs over doc e floors and a tiny slow lift but it makes it all quite quirky.

We arrived quite late at night and we received a very warm welcome. The rooms are quite spacious, super clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 18 February 2015

The bed was comfortable, but very noisy. Everytime I turned in the bed, it would make a loud squeaking sound. I think that the springs are too old and used. The matresses need to be replaced.

The staff were friendly. The location was within a short walking distance to the centre of the city (10-15mins). Close to public transport, bars and restaurants.

• Reviewed: 14 February 2015

The room was far from the reception of the hotel (like half a block away). The staff wasn't too nice, but I guess that's the german characteristic.

The room was very nice and comfortable, with a nice small kitchenette. It had everything that was needed. The breakfast was especially delicious.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2016

Location, little kitchen

• Reviewed: 5 April 2016

Maybe the quality/price ratio could be increased.

Clean and a lot of space in the room.

• Reviewed: 4 December 2015

It was what I expected. No negatives.

Good location, clean and although plain, everything you require.r

• Reviewed: 13 September 2015

The behavior of receptionist, especially one of them is hard..not welcoming in nature..

routine maintenance and cleaning of rooms.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2015

Quirky maisonette apartment style rooms.

• Reviewed: 20 July 2015

• Reviewed: 6 July 2015

Very good location

• Reviewed: 26 June 2015

The smell of cooking curry in the corridor.

The silence.

• Reviewed: 20 June 2015

it was clean, convenient

• Reviewed: 21 March 2015

Ok for a short stay, rooms are spacious enough but could do with a refurbishment. Breakfast OK, but can be crowded at times.

• Reviewed: 12 March 2015

Pillow, it's big but full of nothing...just air

Cleanliness of the room, kitchen and breakfast

There are also 29 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.