Reviews of City Hotel Köln am Neumarkt 2 stars

Clemensstr. 8, Altstadt-Sued, 50676 Cologne, Germany

#175 of 223 hotels in Cologne

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

There is no lift! It was a big problem for upper floors specially the last one on 4th floor, small space & shared bathroom that was not mentioned before. The small fan couldn't make it bearable in the hot weather!

Location, breakfast.

• Apartment - Annex

(!) -there was no parking place! we've spent over 30min looking for parking place; in the hotel description there is information that parking is available. IT IS NOT. you have to pay for parking and leave car on a street :-(( (!) -we did not get wi-fi password during check-in so we could not use the Internet :-( -reception closed at 22:00 (too early for us) -we got a room in other building than the reception desk and breakfast -lack of elevator

+tasty breakfast +English speaking staff +kettle in a room

Room was not in a good shape and smelled bad. Mold in the shower. The TV was rather new but the hair dryer probably older than I (40 y) and blew like a fine summer breeze... I would prefer a better hair drier over a new TV.

Personnel was friendly, room was clean. Breakfast was simple but good.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

wifi is a bit too slow. Shared bath room is really small. The stuff for washing in the room is broken. But you get for what you pay. No complain.

The staff is very good even her English is very poor. But she did her best. It is also very very quiet so it is good for light sleeper. The price is also ok since Koln is always expensive. You get what you pay.

There is not any lift.

Staff was very helpful and nice to support us. We had a baby and they considered to include a baby-cot without extra cost and assign a room at first floor. Breakfast was enough and wifi ran ok.

• Apartment - Annex

Although i had confirmed the price and appartment, on arrival i had to pay extra and was only given a double room .. without explaination. At breakfast, the lady watched very closely what we ate :-( and also complained when my son used two glasses for orange juice ( i had gotten my son a glass of orange juice which he hadn’t noticed and hence the second glass , by mistake !!!!!) She pulled him up on it saying “ more wash up for her 😡” !!!!! . Unfriendly staff!

The room was clean

• Apartment - Annex

Internet very slow, almost impossible to use.

Good location, everything you need is in walking distance. Big room and bathroom. Quite in the room. Good breakfast.

• Apartment - Annex

The description is accurate in that it is a small apartment with all the basic necessities and breakfast. Staff is very friend and accommodating of my mobility limitations. So the posting offers basic amendities and it delivered on that. There is room for improvement re bed comfort and hallway cleanliness (in an apartment building) but the quality reflects the very reasonable price.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

I was a few minutes to miss the receptionist who was about to leave the hotel and got close to be left outside in the street for the rest of the night

• Apartment - Annex

There is a WiFi, but it does not work. The breakfast was buffet, but its variation war so poor that it was almost only cheese and ham. Moreover, they looked not so fresh. Staffs were chatting with each other all the time... I would not like to recommend this hotel to foreign guests.

The location is very good. The Hotel is near the subway station of "Neumarkt".

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Poor wifi! Most hotels seem to have solved this problem but not here unfortunately. Poor interior sound insulation. Not a problem during my stay but if other guests were being noisy, you would definitely hear...

Almost everything Nice, small family run hotel in handy location. Very nice staff Very clean, bright and homely. Very quiet. Close to transport, cafes, restaurants, shops etc. Easy, pleasant walk (about 20 minutes) to Cathedral, the Rhine and HBF. Very good breakfast All in all, I was very happy with my stay here, I can very highly recommend and would definitely stay again.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

• Double Room with Shower

plumbing could be better maintained. bar not in use.tv reception was hit and miss.

breakfast was good and the beds were comfy.ok for a short stay.really close to shopping areas(walking distance)

No lift. Stairs could be a problem if you have heavy luggage. There was no-one there able to help. I was charged a city tax as an extra when the booking voucher said that it was included in the price. I did not have my voucher with me at the time to check. If you have a car, you will need to use a car park unless you find some street parking overnight, but nevertheless you will have to pay the meter after 9am.

Comfortable, big room but tiny bathroom. Good tv reception and channels. Quite a handy part of town, a few minutes walk from the main shopping areas, markets and restaurants.

-window frame was broken -cold air came in the crack -tv was dirty, strange white spots around it

-cosy room -friendly staff -good food -nice hot water

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The bed was way too soft, the matrass must have been extremely used up. I had a back pain the next morning and my neck was hurting. And usually i sleep very well. The room is not properly sealed, the light of the outside hallway and even of the neighbour is shining through, it is not disturbing but unpleasant. And you can hear every step and every word nextdoor clearly. Also the show room is not properly sealed, there were two holes in the door opposite the shower, so theoretically the guest from nextdoor can look onto the shower cabin!

very friendly and helpful staff!! nice breakfast area. Central, nice location

• Apartment - Annex

not much honestly. Low equipment, low quality, low safety. I booked it as it was the only place available below 200e that week. It is worth 70e at best.

Save your money and get a better hotel for the same price. This one is trash! Only good thing is the location and I still can't believe people were stealing other people's food from the fridge. Wi-fi was horrible and the staff couldn't do anything about it. Rooms are too small and smell like a prison. House keeping almost breaks down the door and don't respect privacy even when you're sleeping. Reminds me of a boyscout hostel. I regret staying here.

I checked in late at night and the staff didn't speak much English, but she was very nice. I got by knowing a little german but would not recommend to anyone who doesn't at least know basic German.

Nice clean room. Typical breakfast. All I needed for a one night stop in Köln

• Apartment - Annex

In the entrance there is an odd narrow and steep stairs, and the carpet there seems to be not very clean - that was the only thing.

The location is convenient, rooms are pretty, especially if you've got a room with a window in the bathroom. Lovely cafe on the ground floor. And they have apartments, that are actually on the other side of the street.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

• Double Room with Shower

Considering the hot season a small fridge would've been a nice addition to the room.

The bed was especially comfortable and the street exceptionally quiet considering the central location.

1. During the booking process I said I'd arrive at a certain time. However, I arrived one hour before and my room wasn't ready (totally understandable). The receptionist said that he would talk to the cleaning lady right away to make my room first so I could come back in half an hour and have my room ready. Not half an hour but one hour later (the time I was supposed to have my room ready according to my official arrival time on booking.com) I went back and the cleaning lady was having lunch and didn't know what I was talking about (so I guess the receptionist forgot to tell her I was going). She said that my room wasn't ready and that it was her lunch break, so I had to wait again for about one hour (even though I was supposed to arrive at that time). This had never happened to me in any other hotel. I was tired because I had been travelling for many hours and my room wasn't ready at the time it was supposed to. 2. The morning after my first night the room was very cold, and the heating was at its minimum. So I turned it up after breakfast and went to have a walk in the city center while I wasn't there so the room heated up a bit. When I came back, the heating was down again (both radiators), obviously to save energy, but the problem is that the radiators didn't heat up much (at least in the room I was), and that's why I wanted to leave it on for two hours, so I didn't freeze to death. 3. The walls are paper thin. 4. No elevator, so if you're planning to go with a lot of luggage I recommend requesting a room on the first floor (subjected to availability).

Superb cleanliness. I'm allergic to dust and didn't sneeze once in this hotel. The breakfast is okay. Not much variety, but a lot of quantity if you're usually hungry in the morning... perfect for me. The woman in charge of the breakfast makes sure everything is in order. The hotel is located in a quiet street and is within a walking distance to the city center and therefore one doesn't need to spend in public transportation.

• Double Room with Shower

It's not a 5 star hotel, but's a very very good choice to visit Köln. You'll notice all the small extra touches of the host, the moment you open your eyes. Recommended.

Saturday and Sunday, there is free parking in front of the hotel. When you arrive a little earlier - we were there 3 PM - there are plenty of available parking lots. Within a 5 minute from Tram stop Neumarkt. Public transport Köln: 13.10 euro for up to 5 people for 1 day.

• Apartment - Annex

The wi-fi was so poor that it was impossible to rely on it (either in the room or when I walked over to breakfast and reception). This may not be important to some people but because it was advertised as available throughout we had relied on this to do our Cologne research on arrival to plan day trips etc. and as a consequence were never able to really plan as much during our short stay as we had hoped. Some town bars had wi-fi and it was also available in some parts of the city centre so we could access sometimes but not ideal. One other thing was that on arrival we found that we had been allocated a twin room instead of the more expensive double bed apartment that we had booked. To be fair this was immediately changed back when we queried it but if we had been stuck in the twin room then our planned options for having tea and coffee and making packed lunches in the room would have been scuppered.

Great position, friendly staff (from manager to breakfast lady). Breakfast perfectly adequate but not the best I've experienced. Walking distance to city centre and river about 15 mins walk through scenic old town. I'd certainly consider staying again if I went to Cologne, particularly if I drove there again (as I did this time). Room was cleaned and tidied every day.

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

• Double Room with Shower

In my stay in seven nights, I could hardly connect with internet except the last two days. That was a damage for a business trip. Too late disposal. No elevator, although the hotel has rooms in the 3rd floor. In my room the television did not function and the bed cover had a hall.

The location is very close to Neumarkt (the center of Cologne city). The staff is friendly and seems perhaps to do their best.

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

• Double Room with Shower

Hotel building has no noise insulation and thin walls so you hear almost everything in neighbouring rooms and on the staircase. Wi-fi was broken the first 2 days (out of 4) so I was forced to camp out in cafes and restaurants. Given these problems and the high price for a lower mid range hotel (over €120 a night!) I wanted to leave after 3 nights, but no dice as it was pre-booked. After arguing at length with staff I finally got a slightly better room. Although generally clean, various things in the rooms and the building were slightly broken or noticeably worn, e.g. lumpy pillows of indeterminate age, loose tap fitting in the sink. In need of maintenance / renovation.

Central location, very close to Neumarkt underground / tram / bus interchange and shops, though the street itself was fairly quiet.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

• Double Room with Shower

Wifi was not good or atleast not enough singnals in our room. Breakfast was very basic.

Perfect location, just next to Neuwmarket Metro/Tram/bus stop. Nice and friendly staff. Nice clean room.

• Reviewed: 19 January 2017

• Apartment - Annex

I booked the annex apartment to have some extra room and expected it to have the same appearance as the photos of the main rooms. It was more worn. The shower had dirty grout, but was otherwise clean, but the hardware was old and the shower wasn't in good shape. Also, the wifi was poor.

the location was really easy to get to anywhere and breakfast was a nice perk

• Double Room with Shower

the building is a little bit old. There was no blower in our bedroom, so the (wet) air stayed inside. Bathroom could be a little bit cleaner.

Nice location, really close to parking garages, Neumarkt (where you can take public transport) and the big shopping street. Really friendly host. Good breakfast with yoghurt, muesli, bread, hams and cheeses, marmelade, boiled eggs, coffee tea and more. Good beds! Spacious room.

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

• Apartment - Annex

There was no Wifi even though we understood there would be wifi from the booking.com advertisement. Our room was actually in a building across the street from the hotel and was called an apartment however it was just a bed with a table/chairs. The room was on the 2nd floor but was 3 flights of stairs up with no lift available. This was a little painful given we had our 1.5 yr old with us. The bed was hard and unfcomfortable and pillows very flat. The tv didn't work or we couldn't figure out how to get it to work since there were two remotes and not instructions.

We really like this hotel's proximity to the Christmas Markets.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Everything. Expensive as hell, and not even my own toilet. Walls are way too thin, you can hear everything that goes on in the rooms next door. If it wasn't so cold outside, I would have rather slept on the street.

Nothing. Worst hotel ever.

• Reviewed: 24 November 2016

• Apartment - Annex

Apartment did not match the images on web site. No facilities at all in the apartment. TV had no signal. No Wifi even though advertised. Even gave a login code then said that they did not have Wifi. Staff unwilling to listen complaint and unwilling to recitify any issues. Breakfast was poor. Have pictures to support complaint.

Location only

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The only really negative thing that happened there: I woke up with seven insect bites, as illustrated in the attached picture. Couldn’t identify the culprit.

Nice and pleasant. Good value for the money. The gentleman at the check-in was professional and helpful. Small room, just right - exactly as booked. Very good breakfast included. The lady who did the check-out seemed rather bored and said “So you’re leaving” (as opposed to “How did you enjoy your stay?). She had been “guarding" as well the cosy restaurant area during breakfast with a dark look and said at some point: “So you’re finished”. Anyway: Great choice. Don’t regret it. Good location, too (walking distance to the Dom = Railway Station; transit within blocks. Would definitely book again if there was a deal.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

• Double Room with Shower

Internet erratic but OK. Breakfast was good one day but not so great the other so I think it pays to be early.

Good location in a quiet street just off Neumarkt so handy to every thing. The room was comfortable and clean. Staff helpful. I would stay here again. Some nice local bars/cafes on the side streets.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

leaky shower, flooded shared bathroom, and staff didn't turn up to do nreakfast on second day.

renovation is really required

big apartment suitable for families, calm location, very close to city parking.

Weak Internet

The reception closes by 10 pm

Proximity to the town centre, we'll connected to public transport

• Apartment - Annex

The receptionist does not speak english.

The location was perfect.

Very friendly atmosphere; quiet, but central location; perfect breakfast;

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The bed was tiny. And the room was so small. Poor heating.

It was a tragedie

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

noisy common bathroom in the hallway

• Apartment - Annex

Extremely expensive, WiFi was not working, paint flaking on the walls, poor maintenance, many things seem patched together.

Breakfast was nice.

• Double Room with Shower

Breakfast was very minimal, no scrambled eggs

Small family hotel in the heart of Cologne. The rooms were basic but extremely clean!

Small basic rooms.

Excellent location.

• Apartment - Annex

I never could reach my room ! I lost my money ... ne careful check in is before 20 pm

• Apartment - Annex

WiFi signal was very weak so we couldn't really use the internet

Cosy and warm room

• Double Room with Shower

The rude staff room not cleaned breakfast room not open when it should be

Nothing much

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

I would have liked to have a mirror in the room

• Double Room with Shower

It was really hot in the room, but nobody can do anything about that. This hotel was great.

Great breakfast, friendly staff, excellent location.

The WiFi was not working at all

Nice location and good breakfast

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

the location is 50 meters far awat from Neumarkt. Staff was super kind

• Double Room with Shower

The staff where great!! Super friendly :) definitely would come here again

• Reviewed: 11 November 2016

Location. Value for money.

• Reviewed: 30 September 2016

• Reviewed: 23 September 2016

No shower head holder on the wall, shame as the shower was very nice

Very friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Very small room and the sound of the Floor if someone walked at night,

Close to city centre

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Barely any vegetarian/vegan options in the breakfast

Friendly staff, quiet location.

• Reviewed: 2 July 2016

• Double Room with Shower

They simply forgot about us with prepaid booking!!! very unreliable!!! so disappointed

Nothing. They ruined our week-end.

• Reviewed: 21 June 2016

minimal breakfast , No parking , old bathroom.Booked apartment but room was provided

Neat , comfortable bed

• Reviewed: 4 August 2015

No lift. Very hot on sunny days, because almost all the rooms face West and the sun comes there at around 12 and stays all day till very late in the night. Although the street is narrow and quiet, it is very noisy on Friday and Saturday evenings till about 3-4 am because of some people gathering for a drink in the corner of the street.

Location is just perfect. Access to any part of the city by metro.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2015

We could not get the wifi to work on any of our 4 devices. But there was free wifi around the central city area, and they worked there.

Great location for walking to all tourist sites. Also close to areas of Zülpicher Platz and Rudolf Platz, where there are many nice restaurants, bars, cafes and shops.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2015

Shower is very small, but works well. When other people are in the staircase you can hear them very well - so very noisy sometimes

Walking distance from the main attractions, in a quiet street, good breakfast, spacious rooms

• Reviewed: 3 May 2015

The unfriendliest staff I have ever met in any hotel or hostel in any part of the world! We were given an apartment when we booked a double room and we were told "that's how it is, take it or leave it!" None of my bank cards worked in the hotel card reader and I was told "maybe you have no money." Mould round windows, wi-fi didn't always work, had to use sofa bed because "double" bed was like a small trampoline. Far too expensive for that kind of service.

Excellent location and a good breakfast

• Reviewed: 20 April 2015

I didn't like the fact that I didn't have a WiFi in my room. But, it's not so big issue not having a WiFi. The biggest issue was not having a heating in the room. And, while reporting it to the stuff, they just ended it with "It's warm outside after all. Why do you complain about it?". Some of the staff members are rude and some are really OK.

I liked the fact that I had a terrace and hot water all the time. Also, the hair dryer and small kitchen.

• Reviewed: 2 March 2015

Too cold in the night. When we came back by 11, the radiotors were off and the room was so cold. It was so cold till 7 a.m. Unfortunately the personels work just till 10 p.m, so nobody is there to solve this problem.

Situation géographique est cool, proche de la centre de ville, Rein et Dom.

• Reviewed: 25 February 2015

The bed was a little too soft for me. You could hear absolutely everything in neighbouring rooms. The internet was good in the hotel rooms but not in the main lobby.

The hotel was very conveniently located. Everything was accessible by foot and what wasn't was very near both tram and U-bahn. Breakfast was standard.

• Reviewed: 3 November 2015

cold room

staff ok not to far to town 20 mins

• Reviewed: 18 September 2015

Great location, clean rooms, friendly stuff

• Reviewed: 15 September 2015

Parking was quite expensive though.great

We had a lovely time it was so easy to get around on foot,

• Reviewed: 12 September 2015

Breskfast not vary, wifi speed is slow but stable.

Only 500 m from main place of business, shopping area and tram stop (neumarkt)

• Reviewed: 23 July 2015

Wired Internet Access!

• Reviewed: 2 June 2015

Staff were helpful, Hotel was very quiet. No street traffic noise.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2015

Noise from other residents. No lift- I was on the 3rd floor

• Reviewed: 15 April 2015

without elevator + bathroom

Wifi availabilty + staff

There are also 41 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse City Hotel Köln am Neumarkt traveller photo gallery