Reviews of Hotel Alexander Plaza 4 stars

Rosenstraße 1, Mitte, 10178 Berlin, Germany

#148 of 579 hotels in Berlin

Based on 1905 hotel reviews

• Suite

The air-conditioning had broke and not fixed until the Thursday after we had arrived on Sunday. We were offered a fan on the Wednesday but due to the heat had little effect. No tea/coffee making facilities available. Arranged room through Booking.com for 2 adults and 1 child aged 16 when asked to supply age. Hotel had only been informed about the 2 adults. Had to pay extra to have sheets supplied for the sofabed which would have been 60 Euro's a day but was only asked to pay one day as a member of staff had incorrectly asked for the wrong amount.

The size of the Suite we had booked was good and lovely to have a bathroom and an extra room with toilet and basin. The central location of the hotel was good for public transport which was plentiful and very close. Dressing gowns supplied which would have been fine in the winter but weren't used by us as temperatures were 31C all week.

• Executive Triple Room

The 4 night's stay was perfect except for the breakdown in the air-con. It was never fully repaired and the summer weather was hot.

The staff at the reception were very friendly. Location of the hotel was also very good.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

No coffee or tea facilities? Shampoo & conditioner should be provided separately not as an all in one. Also a better quality of these products would be ideal. Reception staff on arrival were lovely! The young lady Babara who served us was above & beyond helpful. She spoke Spanish/ german & English! So we were able to communicate in either English or Spanish with her. She guided us on city tour options & printed maps for us. Babara even explained which transport to catch. Checkout was complete opposite. Olga did not provide one smile & looked at us as if we were freaks. I had problems paying with my cards & she appeared very frustrated. She needs to be retrained in customer service, taught how to smile or removed from front desk services.

Great location, central but quiet! Clean, comfortable, aircon :) !!! Yes! Large room, great bathroom.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was east facing and too warm in the morning and the A/C was non responsive. They gave us a fan which helped greatly. At 17.50 euros each we passed on breakfast and loved the nearby cafe with superb croissants.

Location!

• Standard Single Room

Yes, the croissants were flakey and very freshly made. I chose this hotel because of its close proximity to Hackescher Markt S-Bahn station (3 minute's walk) with its frequent trains to and from Schönefeld Airport as well as other parts of the city. Turn right from the hotel's front door and you're only a minute or 2 from Karl-Liebknecht Strasse, leading to Alexander Platz. Turn left and you're walking towards Museum Insel, the River Spree and Unter den Linden. The staff at the Alexander Plaza really are nice and didn't mind at all my attempts to speak in German. It may not be the cheapest hotel in the area but worth it for the situation.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

EVERYTHING WAS FINE!! Nice place, nice room and very good location close to the nicest bars and areas to have a lovely dinner and some beer !! I recomend the hotel to everybody!!! thank you so much!! Danke :)

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Cable TV didn't work. No way you could open the window at night, the street was quite loud , but the isolation was great. The parking was quite expensive (17 euros a day). Sauna costed 5 euros a day, breakfast at the hotel was also quite expensive specially considering all the options around the hotel.

Comfortable bed, clean facilities, best location you can get. Worth it if you're not travelling by car.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

this hotel is close to everywhere, room/bathroom is totally sufficient and comfortable, it is clean and tidy. If i go to Berlin once again, definitely this hotel is my choice, no second thoughts.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

They do not have air-condition. They were unable to provide us with a room with a queen- or king size bed. They were under-staffed. The bar was completely deserted and mostly without service.

• Standard Single Room

Very unprofessional staff. At check-in I asked her "Is it ok to park on the little street right next to the hotel?" and she answered "It's ok for me but I don't know what police says". It was obvious that I asked if it's the place where I'm supposed to park or not, but not her personal opinion. I don't know if she tried to make fun of me or really didn't understand what I meant. In the end she told me about the garage in the property, but she didn't say anything about price. When I drove into the garage another staff guided me but he also didn't say anything about price. At checkout another staff told me to pay 17EUR for parking. If I knew it I would have parked on the street. Most importantly, I haven't agreed on nor even heard about it. So maybe they put that 17EUR into their pockets. Now I'm afraid that they might charge me for using toilet, shower room or elevator.

The room was good. Location is also good, being not busy but still convenient.

• Executive Triple Room

It was a bit noisy during the night.

Decent breakfast and good coffee. Great choice if you run Berliner Halbmarathon, very close to start & finish. Also good restaurants in the area.

• Standard Single Room

If a hotel is devoted to sustainability and even promotes it by placing a kind note in the bathroom about its towel use policy, then why does the service take each and every morning all the towels even from the hooks and replaces them with new ones? This is totally against sustainability!

Great location, friendly service, breakfast is a delight compared to the standard hotel offers I got used to.

n.a.

Very conveniently located to Alexanderplatz Station where one can get good access to Schoenefeld Airport where easyJet fly in and out, which is important for me as I usually fly out very early in the morning. The room is clean and large. Highly recommended.

• Standard Single Room

You can hear the noise from the streets, rooms and bathrooms are not too modern, they are clean, but would need a little bit of renovation. Bed is ok for a single person but probably not for two (and there was only one bedside table). I booked it because of a promo. Probably it wouldn't be very happy if I would have to pay the full price for this room

Really close to Alexander Platz, major city attractions, restaurants and shops.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Requested double bed, unfortunately we got 2 twin beds just putted together.

Staff was really nice. And location - perfect. You can not be in more center. Also we requested room in upper floor - they gave us the top one. Room was clean.

• Standard Single Room

- Check in process, the staff member gave me a room that was the worst in the hotel, with no curtains and poorly covered blinds. Small and shabby room. I asked for a change with curtains and a better size and he gave me a much better one. Why not give the customer a proper room first time? - Room not cleaned on last night despite sign saying please clean. When room was cleaned, vacuuming or sheets not changed. - Room cooling system not functional, even when set to 18deg/c.

The bathroom shower was very powerful and strong. Location was ideal

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Receptionist during check-in was not so polite, boasting about what a good price we've got. Why should it matter for him? When we entered the room there were some lady's hair left on the pillow, giving us a feeling that cleaning was swift.

Excellent location. Nice room. Good flow of water in the shower. Breakfast is rich and good, but too expensive for my opinion.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Excellent location, with parking! The room was clean and a good size. Well-stocked mini bar. Helpful staff. Our room was quiet. Very happy with our stay!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Nothing about the hotel was enjoyable. Good money thrown away. The location though good is highly over-rated. For the New Year period, there was no ambience that gave an impression of festivity. We were given a room in the attic with holes in the curtains; Thought we were in the Communistic regime; card charged a week before arrival and no refund so made an early check out difficult. Complaining to Booking.com did not change things much. Management does not seem too motivated...!!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Disappointed that there are not tea/coffee facilities in the room.

Excellent location- for transport, food , shopping...and very handy for reaching all tourist attractions

• Executive Double or Twin Room

You have to reconnect wifi every time you come to the hotel, shampoo mixed with shower gel. Receptionist first declined to help in emergency (light in the room suddenly turned off) and only after my indignation reluctantantly called for assistance

Excellent location, good breakfast, large room, good free wifi

• Suite

the only thing i did not like is uncomfortable pillows and matress (the king bed is 2 attached beds and matresses which gap between)

location, friendly staff, breakfast

• Standard Double or Twin Room

it didn’t work the only elevator upon we are arrival at hotel from airport the checkout time is too early (11am) which it isn’t fair enough for guests

the location was excellent

The bed was awful. My mattres had sag in the middle, so I my sleep was very uncomfortably. Reception unable to do anything abou it, e.g. exchange it, since they just don't have other mattresses.

Cosy room, tasty breakfest.

I booked two rooms for my family, one single room, for an adult and a child and a double for two adults. The hotel sent me a e-mail sugesting only one family room, and I agree with the change. When we arrived, the hotel accommodated us in the original booking, but they put an extra bed in one room, that I didn´t ask and didn´t explained about the charges. In the check out I was charged by the extra bed. They did not comply with what I have booked. Be careful not to be deceived as I went.

The location of the hotel is excellent.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The construction material out the front, which could not be helped. Just a visual thing which by no means detracted the hotel

We were upgraded to business suite, no reason why. Room was spacious and relaxing. Location was excellent for who like to walk.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was very small, although we asked to have one double bed, we had twin matrices which kept moving apart. The room was badly equipped: the hairdryer works for 2 minutes and stops for 10, the ventilation is very bad, the heater made the room very dry we had even to open up the window at night in mod December! Room service is bad, they changed our old towels and replaced them with dirty ones. Breakfast is okayish but the staff is not! The staff working during the weekdays in the breakfast area are rude, they would say breakfast closes at 10:30 although it closes at 11 in order not to serve. Besides there is construction going inside the hotel, it’s very dusty and very noisy.

The hotel is in good location, well connected with public transport. It is close to supermarkets and pharmacies and some restaurants.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Nice hotel, Good breakfast ang Great service. Close 5 min to Alexander Platz, Tv tower and subway station. A market is near by. Also a great restaurants in the area.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Room was quite small and ours was partially cut off as it had a sloping ceiling that we couldnt walk under

Convenient location and comfortable bed. Good value for money. Access to a gym

• Standard Double or Twin Room

but... e.g. adding bacon and service of preapering fresh omlet would made the morning more great

room, sauna ok extraordinary variety of tea during breakfest

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Cost of breakfast over the top. Good alternatives a couple of minutes away, at one-third of the price or less. Need to fix door of shower stall - water runs out easily, so your towel gets soaked. Bathroom could use some TLC. No one at the door, and the desk is hidden from sight, so security-wise it's a risk - the magnetic card is required for the elevator, but the stairs are free for all. This is a 3.5 star hotel in my view.

Location - right off Alexanderplatz, and a two-minute walk to the express bus that takes you to Tegel Airport. Wifi pretty reliable and fast, and no limits on the number of devices you can hook up. Bed was comfy, although pillows were way too soft. Nice super-sized desk and lots of el outlets.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Only one elevator and it's often used by the hotel staff and cleaning personell - so be prepared to wait or use the stairs. Parts of the hotel were under construction when we were there.

Amazing breakfast - we loved the huge selection of loose tee. Location is perfect, it's close to Alexanderplatz you can get pretty much anywhere. Room and facilities were good, room was warm.

• Standard Single Room

A fee hours later after my check-in - in my room was another guest! I could lost my luggage and all of my things! He was in my bed! Card to the room not works every time! Every time when I try to went back to room i had to contact with reception and claim.

• Standard Single Room

For the cost of the room, I had hoped breakfast would have been included.

The location was excellent. Walking distance to both the S-Bahn and Museum Island.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

There is only one elevator for both guests and services. As a result the waiting time was excessive, especially in the morning.

Spacious and very functional rooms & bathrooms. Breakfast variety was of high quality.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Bed was a small double, despite booking a room with a large double (although they did offer to move us when we queried this). The hotel was undergoing refurbishment and the bistro was closed. During the day, there was fresh coffee available in the reception area, but this disappeared each afternoon, which left no facilities for a hot drink in the hotel, as there was no kettle etc supplied in the room. And no food after breakfast as no biscuits even supplied.

Breakfasts were very good: well cooked and plenty of choice. Room was pleasant and well fitted. The hotel was ideally sited for exploring East Berlin and the city centre.

• Standard Single Room

1) No tea/coffee set 2) very noisy since Train and tram always are passing through. 3) no privacy; either you keep the window blinds open or you close it and so there is no light in.

Close to many altercations.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

No tea and coffee making facilities in the room, and complimentary coffee only available from the front desk in the morning.

Clean and comfortable room, very helpful staff and a superb location for exploring Berlin for a week.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

this was a great place , room is slightly dated but very clean.

The front desk is awesome, they were up at 1 am when we checked into the hotel and were nice, polite and welcoming. The breakfast is great and service good. The sauna was excellent for a nominal fee of 5 euro. The location is very nice, close to some nice restaurants and the morning markets. It was close to Alexander platz but far enough to avoid the crowds.

Pillows were too flat . Not really like pillows . No kettle in room, no facilities to make drink . An iron and ironing board in room would be good .

The location is excellent . Easy access to museums, Ferhnseturme, buses, trains, trams , markets . Staff are friendly and helpful .

Aircon didn’t work very well .

Perfect location - easy access to buses, trams, U-Bahn, S-Bahn . Close to many restaurants , walking distance from museum island , Hackeschrmarkt. Nice room .

• Standard Double or Twin Room

It would have been great if they had a pool

Great location, nice employees super clean. The room is big and comfortable. The bath is medium size and very handy. The water stream in the shower was perfect-always has hot watet.

• Small Single Room

Fantastic place to stay in Berlin. The location is superb, within walking distance from the Museum Island and Alexanderplatz. One is absolutely spoilt for choice of restaurants nearby. There is a supermarket, a pharmacy and a healthfood shop nearby. Excellent public transportation links. My room had a view of the TV tower and was very clean and quiet at night. I would most definitely book this hotel again.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The only thing I would have like would be tea and coffee offered in the hotel room, even the Premier Inn has complimentary tea and coffee in the rooms.

The Alexander Plaza is perfectly located to all the local city centre tourist attractions and located near to some great restaurants. We had a wonderful stay at this hotel.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Most European hotels (like this one) now charge $15 and up for a mediocre but huge breakfast buffet. I wish they would go back to the much more modest affair we used to call continental breakfast.

Great location: three blocks from Museum Island and the Pergamon Museum, 1 bock from bus, trams, and the S train. Quiet, modern hotel with charming restaurants nearby.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Children were welcome but a bit of special treatment for them would have been nice. A playing corner, some extra service from the staff, pancakes for breakfast or...

Large clean rooms on a perfect location. Very quiet even though we were just next to all kinds of public transportation.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Not a bad place at all. It is just one star over rated and probably about USD 20 more expensive than it should be. You are probably just paying the extra of being in a very good location. Consider nevertheless that Berlin is really easy to move along and you may want to consider something not so central, but with more space and services for the same (or lower) price.

The room was kind of small, could not open all the bathroom door as the bed would not allow it. No coffee-tea maker and no room service so you are on your own at night if you want to have a tea before going to sleep. Simple breakfast that is more like from a 3 star hotel. Terrible pillows. Very good location. One fewer star and USD20 less in the bill would make this hotel more correct.

• Standard Single Room

Too expensive comparing to the services offered.

Rich and fine breakfast, central location, direct bus (TXL to Spandauerstr/Marienkirche) from Tegel airport

• Executive Double or Twin Room

The underground car parking was, let's say, "interesting"... If you have a normal size car, it might be a challenge to park it. If you manage that, then please be prepared to have some exercises to get out of your car. The place is quite narrow and not for a "big size" drivers :)

Staff was friendly and helpful. Rooms are clean and comfortable. Breakfast was OK. Overall I can recommend this hotel to other travelers.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Staff were not welcoming or particularly helpful.

A great hotel conveniently located near all the museums and lots of restaurants. Modern furnishings with a comfy bed. Staff there were indifferent and not particularly welcoming. Breakfast was a buffet with a great array of dishes.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Drains in the bathroom were a bit stinky. Was a bit noisy at night even with a room on the 6th floor.

The location of the hotel is excellent- it’s a couple of minutes walk to Museum Island and ver close to Alexanderplatz which is a transport hub and where the hop on hop off buses leave from.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room wasn't quite up to standard. Our shower worked sporadically meaning that one morning it was fine but on others it changed from extremely hot to extremely cold to trickling. Not really what I'd expect.

The location is perfect.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Bedroom carpet was very badly stained in several places. However housekeeping responded immediately and scrubbed it off.

Central location; handy to Berliner DOM, Museum island, Hackermarkt restaurants and Metro, and Alexanderplatz. Good range at breakfast. Room size good, bathroom only just big enough if two people are staying in the room. Reception printed our boarding passes. An older hotel that's been redecorated to bring it up to standard, and a new Atrium breakfast room constructed on the ground floor.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

The shower could be a little temperamental.

While the Hotel met our expectations, the location was fantastic. It made all of excursions very easy, with both trams & trains within a very short walk. The variety of food available within easy walking distance, plus a small supermarket, made meal times very easy.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Cannot understand why the bed was so small for two. Pillows too small as well.

Breakfast was amazing and staff very helpful. Location is amazing. I definitely will be back.

• Standard Single Room

Very good location close to events and transport. Comfortable rooms and delicious breakfast. They offered a good choice of gluten free bread. My first room was close to the elevator and made a lot of noice late at night. They gave me another room which was quiet and satisfactory.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Upon check in we were kindly upgraded to a very large room for our three night stay. The property is in an ideal location. Alexanderplatz is a maximum 10min walk away, Hackescher Markt is just around the corner (great for food and the train), Kaufland supermarket is also just across the street. Everything in the hotel was wonderful. We had very well rested sleep, the beds were comfortable, bathroom spacious and second toilet in the room was a bonus! We could see the TV tower from our room also. Breakfast in the atrium was lovely each morning and offered a wide range of tea and proper coffee! The food selection was brilliant and included eggs, pastries, fruit, yoghurt, cheese, meats and sausage. The staff in the hotel were very helpful and friendly at all times.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The staff were very pleasant and helpful. Always had a smile. The room was very clean and had all we needed for our stay. Hotel in a great spot. Within walking distance to everything.

• Suite

A lot of noise from the street throughout the night. Very disturbing if you like to sleep with open windows...

Short walking distance from Alexander Plaza and Hackescher Markt. Friendly staff, nice breakfast, big and comfortable room.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I liked everything, the hotel was very good value for money.

Hotel Aleksander Plaza has excellent location. It is near the TXL airport bus stop (50m) and near shopping and restaurant area but still on quiet small road. It is walking distance from the Museum Island and the River Spree. It is also near to the Aleksander Platz metro station. The room was cosy and clean. The buffet breakfast has a wide selection of food such as scrambled eggs, sausages, cheese, fruits, cutlery etc. etc.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The fact that I requested double bed but got two joined singles. Attitude of some staff members. Second day of stay mini bar was not recharged - had to ask reception. A lady at the reception who happened to be 3 times day shift during our 4-night stay likes to communicate with a single word sentences (e.g. 'Yes', 'No', 'OK' etc.). I asked her 2 times a bulb to be replaced in the room. Upon our departure still was not... Explanation was that there has been a sign on the outer side of the door - true, but the sign was green, saying 'Pls. service my room'(??!?).

Location, metres from Alexander Platz, the heard of (ex East) Berlin. Room amenities are very good. Overall well looked after and maintained (with the exceptions I enlist in the Didn't Like section). Breakfast is rich and plentiful, excellent supportive service (coffee, table cleaning).

Pillows could be better

The hotel is really in the hearth of Berlin "Mitte": near to the public transportation system as well as to cultural and shopping places. Quite and confortable, we appreciate the availability of the hotel staff to facilitate our staying.

Nothing to dislike..

Staff was really helpful, nice cozy place suited us very much as it was right in the center very happening place. just walked around mostly, took hop on hop of bus. enjoyed in total.

We had a very big beautiful room at the end of the hall. Breakfast consisted of a big variety of food, we felt spoiled! The location was spot on in a quiet street but just around the corner of the station and Hackesher Markt were we enjoyed our dinners and where our walking tour started.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The shower door did not close very well and so the water "escaped"

Many rooms, large hotel, the room was larger then I expected in Berlin, and the rooms were well insulated from external sound.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Didn't like that the twin beds were jammed up against each other. Left towels on the bathroom floor one morning but they were not changed ☹️

Great location. Friendly and helpful staff. Breakfast was awesome

• Suite

Being fined for parking outside the hotel without payment, but that is our fault ahahhaha

We booked a suite, because we were travelling with 3 year old twins. Huge room. Two bathrooms (one complete and one of service). Premium location (although it does not look like that on first look, it is very central and has a sight seeing stop about 50/100 meters from the hotel, which is amazing). Also, you can purchase the vouchers for the sightseeing at the reception (very friendly staff). Amazing breakfast (full of choices with very attentive staff - 5* for a staff member of brazilian nationality, always very thoughtfull with our children). We took a look into the regular rooms (not suites) and even those were very good. Next time we travel to Berlim, we know where to stay.

• Standard Single Room

During check-in my friend was informed that his room was not available due to that the hotel was over booked. He had reserved this room for several months ago. He was directed to their sister hotel close by but that hotel (or at least the room) was not comparable.

I stayed on the 6th floor (as far as you get). The room was really great! Breakfast was very good as well...

They didn't provide facilities to make tea and coffee in the rooms, but they did provide coffee in the reception desks only in the morning. Its not a big deal, just odd

The room was extra huge, comfortable rooms. Great for family vacations. Love the location, close to everything in Alexander Platz

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Pillows only. But that's being picky

Only complaint for me was that the pillows were too soft. Superb location, clean and reasonably quiet at night. Good breakfast friendly staff, not much more you can ask for really.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

That we could not stay longer!

The hotel building is very beautiful and the room was big, airy, and light. It is old, modern, very well renovated, with posters of the history of the hotel and the area (to know where you are situated!). The staff was helpful and friendly - with extension cords, with breakfast seating - and there was enough staff to help with everything. The breakfast was rich and fresh. The location is great, right next to the train station, so busy to walk with luggage, and it is one of the liveliest areas in Berlin.

There was always a smell of stale cigarettes in the hallway of our floor, but it did not enter our room, so it's not a major issue.

Spacious room, lots of natural light, delicious breakfast, helpful staff. Location perfect: a block from the S-Banh train, a block from trams and buses, half a block from the TXL bus direct to Tegel airport and the central train station. The river and museums are a very short walk away.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I would have loved a kettle / I'm not sure but I think the pillows were made of feathers

Excellent location / nice building / very professional staff / breakfast with good quality ingredients until 11 at weekends / very clean / soundproofed windows so very quiet room

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Location location location - 2-minutes walk to bus (TXL) that goes to airport - 4-minutes walk to Metro that goes to Central train station (Hbf) Size of bedroom very nice with huge floor to ceiling Windows.( but quite noisy if we open them)

• Executive Double or Twin Room

The rooms are a little old and tired and the bathroom was a bit of a challenge, quite small and facilities not always so easy for me to use but I was prepared to put up with that for the sake of the other really good aspects.

The reception staff, especially Raif and Madeleine were fantastically helpful, organising all my tours and transport and tickets in Berlin. The breakfast was also outstanding. The location was excellent and very convenient to all sights

Browse Hotel Alexander Plaza traveller photo gallery