Reviews of ALPHA Hotel Garni This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services offered. It is based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

Koppel 4, St. Georg, 20099 Hamburg, Germany

#10 of 43 B&Bs and Inns in Hamburg

A good budget choice centrally located.

WiFi is unstable.

This is a good centrally located budget hotel, with a nice and helpful staff. I have been staying here 10-15 times. Says maybe something.

For my purposes it was ideal: location, friendly staff and facilities were all good.

Nothing was bad. Perhaps a little noise from the street, or the next room, but this was very minor.

The location is excellent. 5 minutes walk from the main station, the hub of all Hamburg's public transport system. So access to the whole of Hamburg was easy. The staff were friendly, and on arrival I was loaned a book all about Hamburg.

Meh

Found the bathroom dirty, no toiletries (just soap). No black out, so the room was very bright from very early. The problem with this is the price - I think I could have gotten something better for £66.

Very rude staff member; otherwise clean and a good value for money

A very unprofessional and unpleasant staff member. On Monday, the day before my arrival in Hamburg (much more than 24h in advance), I have received a message from booking.com that I did not book breakfast with my room, and that I could add it to my booking for an extra 8.50 EURO. I did this and received an immediate confirmation from booking.com that breakfast was added. On Wednesday morning I arrived at the breakfast room to pay for my stay and to have breakfast. The staff member was very rude and told me that I did not order breakfast and I can't have breakfast. When I showed him the confirmation received from booking.com, he repeated that he knows nothing about this, he said that I didn't book the breakfast and I can't have it at the hotel and that there are plenty of cafes nearby where I can buy my breakfast instead. That's what I did indeed, but I was appalled by the rudeness of that staff member.

Good location, clean, good value for money. In addition, it was possible to check in late (self-dispensing key box).

Great location, feels like a B&B

The rooms are noisy, you can hear your neighbors, though not literally. It's an old building with wooden floors, so that cracks. Not a big problem, just be aware of that. We paid €112,=- per night, including breakfast. That's a lot for a B&B and maybe not totally worth it. But then again: you're in the heart of Hamburg, so this is a great price for value.

This hotel feels more like a B&B than a hotel. Great location, 5 minutes from the main station. A parking garage is around the corner, parking costs €10,- per 24 hours, if you pay upfront. The street is quiet, away from city noise. Room is spacious enough to stay a couple of days. Breakfast was great, with lots of choices and surprising varieties. We arrived after 3pm and got a code to get the key at the door. That worked very smooth, great system.

Extremely kind and pet friendly stay, highly recommended.

The breakfast was incredibly nice, loads of items to choose from, very nice presentation and the breakfast room is cozy. The hotel manager Mr. Neuss was super sweet and caring, he even offered to look after my little dog during the workshop I attended. The bed was comfy, the room clean and spacious and it was literally only a few steps away from Hauptbahnhof. So all in all a wonderful and very pleasurable experience, I highly recommend staying at this hotel and will be staying here again on my next business trip to Hamburg!

1 day stay in Hamburg, arrived Late and hotel owner gave good instructions on how to enter.

Booked last minute and didn’t have my choice in beds. Small hotel, could only store bags till 8pm max, there was no place to hang out.

Location is close to station, staff/owner is excellent, sent helpful directions, and instructions on how to store bags and reach places.

Very close to the railway station and the city center.

Very close to the railway station and the city center. The room was huge and we had a very comfy bed. The bathroom was clean and modern, everything was brand new. Loved the Haribo bears we found on our pillows the first day, a very cute way to welcome customers. A great deal, I highly recommend!

Bed bugs and was woke up by angry staff.

The owner called me the day before to tell me that if I was arriving after 6pm that the reception would be closed and I would get a code to enter,he also said I could check out at 11am,I arrived late and let myself in ,furniture in the room was quite dated but I was exhausted and set my alarm for 1045am,I woke up at 9.45am to the sound of loud knocks on the door , an aggressive man asked me when I was leaving and that check out was 11am,I told him I was aware of that and closed the door,I noticed I had some bites on my body too,I’ll never return to this place !

Location wasn’t bad.

Small but comfi bed, free Wifi, friendly host and a lovely...

This is an old building with absolutely no noise cancellation. One can here the neighbour’s toilette flush, which is also supported by some loud pumping machine - a horrible sound. It woke me up 5 times, because of someone’s weak bladder. A real pitty, because I really liked the rest of this house. But no sleep is definitely a nogo.

Small but comfi bed, free Wifi, friendly host and a lovely breakfast. There are two laundries around the corner, if you are in need to wash or iron your clothes. Host also gives a lot of local hints. Lovely people.

Great location for a good price

The hotel has a flight of stairs to climb at the entrance so a baby stroller or bigger suitcases might be quite a challenge to bring.

A nice and very well-priced hotel in a very central location. It has an interesting vibe. Not luxurious but really surprised me positively considering the price (as compared to other Hamburg stays), clean and comfortable. We even got a fancy four-poster bed. Superfriendly staff.

The place was fantastic in order to know the old city and to take the train.

I believe the price I paid Was a little hight according with the class of the hotel and It Was not lift and nor reception all the day.

The room Was ready when I arrived and it gave me advices about how to find It.

Good hotel and excellent location.

We were not told that we had to book breakfast the day before. The range of food at the breakfast buffet was fine but there were very small quantities of food put out. I do appreciate the necessity to avoid food wastage but it would have been nice if the staff in reception had kept an eye and filed up when dishes were near empty. The breakfast was rather expensive at 8.50 euros @ person.

Excellent location. Interesting neighbourhood and very easy walk from the central station. Single room good size and very clean. Easy access to hotel after hours - reception closed at 6 PM. Reception staff told us of good breakfast available in the neighbourhood.

Good for a City Break

Good location, not a long walk into the city, near to the railway station. Excellent breakfast. Very helpful staff. Excellent Italian restaurant just across the road. Good advice on how to reduce car park charges.

Exceptional value for money.

Ultra-clean hotel with very friendly and helpful reception, excellent location and great value for money. Rooms are very modern with large three way windows. This small hotel is ideal for travellers requiring main train station access. Breakfast was extensive - meats, cheeses, muesli, fresh fruit, eggs, etc. Would definitely stay here again for short stays in Hamburg. The bar/restaurant right next door (station side) has real character and serves great German food.

Reception was very accommodating when our train arrived late.

Water pipes were a bit loud in the bathroom after flushing toilet, but that's to be expected in an older building.

Reception was very accommodating when our train arrived late. Friendly staff and nice quiet neighborhood within easy walking distance to the train station and Altstadt.

Unbelievably quiet

One of reception guys didn't speak English at all. No lift. Too small basin and shower booth. Few wall sockets (I guess there was only one).

Absolutely quiet location. Cleanliness. CNN and BBC World were available. Very delicious Portuguese cafe nearby.

The location was ideal - a 5-minute walk from Hamburg...

At first I was concerned about the church chimes every 15 minutes just outside my window - but very thoughtfully, these were turned off after about 9pm! There was a bit of conversation outside my window from time to time during the night, but nothing too disturbing.

The location was ideal - a 5-minute walk from Hamburg central station. The bed was comfortable and the shower was great - what more do you want??

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

The BEST neighborhood!!

The mattress was a little on the soft side for our tastes.

The neighborhood was great with lots of delicious ethnic restaurants as well as its proximity to the Hbf and suburban and underground trains. The room was comfortable... at least #10 seemed spacious with comfortable chairs and table. The shower had great high pressure and lots of hot water. We would stay there again. We didn't opt for the breakfast, but there are many bakery/breakfast places in the neighborhood.

Great for a city trip

It is a basic but very clean hotel. Some of the parts next to the central sation are a little bit shady...

Location was great, next to the central station. Cinema near by, nice resaurants. Parking garage nearby 10 euro for 24hrs.

• Reviewed: 30 March 2017

Excellent location near main railway station

A strange smell in the bathroom. Ventilation was possible only through a small fan.

Cheap. Very quiet and good place. Initially we booked a double room but when we arrived at the hotel we found that we received the key to a single room. Reception was closed by the time we arrived but we contacted staff who apologized for the mistake and waited about three quarters of an hour until someone came and handed us proper key for a double room. Very good staff and polite.

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

Location location location ..... isn't everything

We had reserved a room with one bed but they only had a room with 2 bed. Not our first trip to Europe so not really a big deal until we saw they were cot sized beds. I'm 5'7" and my feet hung off the end. The room was very narrow, wide hall. The beds were not side by side but rather end to end. The good thing is, we weren't in Hamburg to stay in our room so we weren't there much but it wasn't a comfortable place to return to after a long day of touristing. The younger guy checking us in took our credit card for payment but only for the room. He didn't charge breakfast. I asked to take care of it all at that time and he insisted we would take care of that later. When we went to check out, I learned why. He tried his darnedest to get us to pay cash. This was our first nights of a 3 week stay and I didn't want to break into our contingency cash that early even for only a few euro especially after confirmation we could pay with credit card. He finally relented. I later noticed that our 34 euro breakfasts cost us 40 euro. If it weren't for my earlier suspicions of the younger guy, I would have chalked it up to an oversight and my bad for not paying attention to what was charged. But with how he was so adamant about me paying cash for breakfast, I'm guessing this was not an accident. Enjoy your extra 6 euro. I'll splurge for honesty and a bit more comfort next time.

The location. The older gentleman at the desk for our first morning's breakfast.

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

Friendly with a central location

It's a lot of things but you don't pay for that standard.

Central location in nice area and with a friendly staff. Have stayed here several times earlier and I chose this place when I am in Hamburg.

• Reviewed: 11 November 2016

Super stay in Alpha Garni Hotel

Really nothing.Economy single room was a little dark but that was no big deal

We really liked Alpha garni hotel.The rooms were so reasonably priced.Comfy and clean.Really cosy as weather was cold,-4 to 1 degree.Tobias,the manager was amazing.He was so helpful and friendly.Breakfast amazing.If you're travelling to Hamburg,you wouldn't be disappointed

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

Great location for a nice budget hotel, would reccomend.
    • Economy Single Room

Reception closed quite often.

The location itself is fantastic, a few minutes walk from Hauptbahnhof and very walkable to the city centre. Room was small and basic but comfortable for sleeping. Breakfast looked nice but I didn't eat it as I was out early.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

so so

breakfast from 8.00 AM wierd decoration in the room non comfortable bed shower without a panel old facility not very good value for money

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

Harbourcity Hamburg, easy to explore in a relaxing atmosphere.

The bed was wobbly as if you are on a ship. It would be a big improvement if it was replaced by a firm hotel boxspring. Mostly I turn matrasses and correct the underpart myself but in this case it didn't help.

In walking distance from Hauptbahnhof perfectly central situated quiet basic hotel with friendly staff. Easy access to wellness and fitness of 2 nearby luxury hotels at the Alster lakeside. All together super value for this money.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

Great staff, nice place

Nice hotel, Tobias (staff) was exceptional in handling everything so that we would have a great time in our stay. The 10 note on this review is 99% because of him

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

Great budget hotel, close to central station, u bahn and...

You have to pay extra for breakfast and the choice was average.

Great budget hotel, close to central station, u bahn and short walk into the centre. Friendly and helpful staff. Comfortable bed and clean room.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

very close to hbf (central station), very good price...
    • Economy Single Room

very close to hbf (central station), very good price concerning general accomodation prices in hamburg, easy check-in system and clean milieu. in general, no awkward points to complain about.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2016

Perfect and modest, central and quite. Great value hotel.

The facilties, rooms and baths are modest, but the hotel does not pretend to be anything else. Its modesty does not rob any points in centrality, comformt, friendliness and value. Maybe a couple of towels and pilows more can be added to its value.

The hotel is central without being on the middle of all the city buzz. A couple of minutes away from the central station but tucked away in a quite street, it guarantees full mobility during the day and a peaceful night sleep. The attention is warm and caring. The place is fantastic.

• Reviewed: 2 September 2016

I really like the place where the hotel is located.

The price. :) But! it only because I'm from Ukraine and count my money. In real price is not bad for this nice place.

I really like the place where the hotel is located. There is quietly, Alster is in two steps near the door. Very polite and caring staff. And this hotel looks and feels so like at home inside, with all this old carpets and books on the sheves. I like this feelings.

• Reviewed: 6 August 2016

Little Gem

Nothing could have been better, there are a few stairs which were no problem for us.

Once we found this little gem around the corner from the Central Station we booked in early without problem they took our bags up to our room. Brekky was excellent, fresh and hot.

• Reviewed: 18 July 2016

Strong wifi and location

Facility is so old and dark. No front desk after 6pm and before 6am. Faculty is converted from old residents to hotel. Layout is like a maze. Not recommended for women.

Strong wifi and location

Very nice room, excellent location and nice staff!

Very nice room, excellent location and nice staff!

The room was very nice and clean.

The room was very nice and clean. It was easy to check in eventhough I came at midnight.

Very comfortable, friendly staff, excellent location.

Nice room size, cozy.

Would recommend this hotel

The room is very small. There is no tea making facility

The staff is amazingly helpful

very friendly personnell, perfect central location with...

early check-out at 11.00

very friendly personnell, perfect central location with quiet rooms.

Good hotel very good location

The room was a bit cold because one of the heater didi not work Bathroom is sooo small Wifi during night had disconnected

Everything good

Excellent stay at an excellent hotel with the best staff!

Very comfortable room, kept very clean and the staff was very kind and helpful. Location was perfect.

Great location, decent-sized room, friendly staff

Room was fairly basic

Great location, decent-sized room, friendly staff

the bed was very confortable, quiet bedroom, large bathroom,...

the bed was very confortable, quiet bedroom, large bathroom, and very welcoming staff.

Exceeded all expectations. A+

Staff was super friendly and welcoming. Room was spacious and comfortable. Location was perfect. Loved it and highly recommends

Next visit in Hamburg, I take the same hotel!

A detail, but no shampoo in the small bathroom.

Perfect breakfast, perfect location close to the main trainstation and a metro.

Quiet, pleasant and comfortable.

A jug in the room would have been a bonus.

Wonderfully quiet and I felt very safe there. Tobias was brilliant at offering advice on where to go.

Friendly small hotel near the Hauptbahnhof

Quiet rooms, pleasant staff, good breakfasts, fairly priced.

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

Agent

Breakfast was only after 8

Small, close to railway station

EXCELLENT !

Superb - everything was perfect 👍

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

Very good budget hotel

Nothing wrong

Basically everything I needed for very good price.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

Very friendly reception, excellent location!

Very friendly reception, excellent location! Clean and you have everything you need in the room!

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

Perfect spot

Clean and comfortable

Nice hotel in a strategic area

room space , very small no wardrobe

hotel location

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

Great location near station and restaraunts

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

Located near train station with plenty of restaraunts within walking distance.

• Reviewed: 25 July 2016

No one at reception when I came back inthe evening. Waiter cannot speak english

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

Great location, extremely clean and pleasant room.

Great location, extremely clean and pleasant room. Highly recommended!

• Reviewed: 3 May 2016

Excellent choice at breakfast.

Space in bedroom a bit cramped. Storage space for clothes etc not easy to access. Scaffolding at front of hotel off-putting.

Excellent choice at breakfast. Comfortable bed. Good shower.

• Reviewed: 28 April 2016

Great breakfast.

Not many things I didn't like but if I had to pick on something so I'd say the WIFI signal is not always very good.

Great breakfast. Very close to the Central Train Station. Friendly and helpful staff, clean room with good space.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2016

Close to Hauptbahnhof;

You need to book breakfast in advance, but several cafes just around the corner, so no problem.

Close to Hauptbahnhof; cheep parking house few minutes walk away. Small place.

• Reviewed: 25 March 2016

The location is very central and close to the main bus and...

I don't understand why the room needs a window into the corridor, when there's another "real" window into the courtyard. Even though there were curtains, every time someone passed the corridor, the corridor light would illuminate my room. Smoke detector was blinking quite brightly all night long, and it's the first time I've experienced this in hotels.

The location is very central and close to the main bus and railway stations. However, the hotel is located in a quiet street, so there was no noise in the night. The room was very clean. Although the check-in ends at 18:00, a hotel manager sent me instructions how to obtain the key from their key machine if I come late.

• Reviewed: 17 January 2016

Location of the hotel is super awesome!

Location of the hotel is super awesome! Every attraction is within walking distance (maximum around 30minutes walk). Staff of the hotel were really helpful and friendly too!

• Reviewed: 24 December 2015

Close to the central station, but quiet area.

Extra tiny bathroom. Mirror lamp not working. One of heaters was turned off. Tissue holder falled apart. Cold air blowing through electric outlets.

Close to the central station, but quiet area. Restaurants nearby. Spacious room. Helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 21 December 2015

Amazing stay, staff were friendly and polite.

Amazing stay, staff were friendly and polite. Loved the little extras in the room an the unsuite was huge. Defindly good value for money. 3mins walk from the train station.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2015

Location: in 2 minutes by foot from main railway station.

Location: in 2 minutes by foot from main railway station. Hotel’s territory: no, just the building with entrance from the street. Nearest objects: city center with shops, big lake, churches; 4 km from Dom - amusement park Open hours: arrival time - 09:00-18:00, departure time – 08:00-11:00; also you should tell when you will come, so then staff will be waiting you at hotel or leave a key, if you come too early or late. Common situation: very quiet and good place. Hotel: not big, with separate entrance to lounge zone (front desk and dining room) and rooms. Rooms: different (from very simple to big), clean and cosy. My room was very little and simple, but good: with bed, place for clothes, bedside cabinet and bath (shower, sink, toilet, toilet paper, soap, towels). Cleaning: every day about 10 in the morning. Additional payments: if you wanna breakfast. Wi-fi: included in a rent, free on whole territory. Staff: very good and professional.

• Reviewed: 9 December 2015

Very good location, close to the central station but in a...

Very good location, close to the central station but in a very nice and quiet area, only a few steps away from the Alster Lake and the pedestrian city centre. Good value for money. Clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 1 December 2015

It was a nice simple hotel, everything what's necessary...

The only thing that was slightly disturbing - a strong smell of chemicals, - at first i thought it's the laundry detergent, but no, the sheets were clean and odourless, it's probably the cleaning agents, i had to open the window to air the room, but i could still feel the smell in the morning. I would suggest to the hotel staff to use more human- (and, i guess, environment-) friendly cleaning agents :).

It was a nice simple hotel, everything what's necessary was there. Friendly staff. Wi-fi signal is good.

• Reviewed: 18 November 2015

The location.

I think you should have tea and coffee making facilities in the room

The location..close to the the train station and in the good part ..lots of restaurants etc within walking distance as are other tourists destinations.The lady who checked me in was incredibly patient,helpful and very knowledgeable..a delightful and welcoming person.

• Reviewed: 9 November 2015

circa 3 mins to the train station less then 10 to the bus...

circa 3 mins to the train station less then 10 to the bus station the folk who checked me in n out were friendly only stopped 1 night but it wasok n would stop there again

• Reviewed: 27 October 2015

Check in was really hassle-free and check out too.

Check in was really hassle-free and check out too. Staff is really friendly. Very nice home feelings at breakfast which was way beyond expectations. Overall a really great place.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2015

the hotel was clean and the beds very comfortable, breakfast...

there were steep stairs at the entrance and we had a heavy case, also the corridor light did not work by our room so it was difficult to see the door lock! but these were minor points

the hotel was clean and the beds very comfortable, breakfast lovely...much better than expected.. The staff were so obliging and pleasant.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2015

The kind and friendly staff.

The wifi is working sometimes. If you need to work here, as I did, this is at the moment not the right hotel. I have stayed here earlier several times but now I have to think about next time.

The kind and friendly staff. The central location. The breakfast.

• Reviewed: 24 September 2015

Very friendly staff, small room but super quiet, good...

The sink in the bathroom was a bit too small. Near the train station is very convenient but it's not the best area for tourists.

Very friendly staff, small room but super quiet, good internet. Just perfect for a stopover night. And tiny gummi bears on the pillow! You just can't go wrong with that.

There are also 34 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse ALPHA Hotel Garni traveller photo gallery