Reviews of Hotel am Karlstor 3 stars

Karlstrasse 46B, 76133 Karlsruhe, Germany

#32 of 45 hotels in Karlsruhe

• Comfort Double Room

1. poor service in matters relating to the cleanliness of the room 2. I asked three consecutive days, 3 different people, for a pillow that never brought me. I asked a lady at the reception who didn't understood English and it took me a long time to be able to reach agreement with my poor German. I received a no, that she didn't have one, and offered me one from the living room lounge! I asked the room service in the morning, and while they answered twice to me positively that they would take care of it, I never received one. 3. Αlthough they assured me that my room is recently renovated, I had to call the service twice for spoiled things (shading system that did not work) 4. I had to explain to them that I should make a reservation for my last day of stay in Germany, in a hotel near the airport because of my very early morning flight and the fact that there is no transport so early in the city of Karlsruhe to the airport area. Αnd that was information I didn't knew, nor could imagine when I made the reservation, I got this information, when I asked the reception about public transport... So, although I informed the reception on time (2 days before leaving) that I have to leave one day earlier than what I had paid for, when I handed over my card at reception on my departure, they informed me that they could get me back some money if I let them know an hour earlier! When I explained that I have already done it 2 days ago, he assured me that he would inform the manager who ia the one who will decide whether he wants or not, to return me some money ...I have never received not even a negative answer.

good location, was close to my workplace

• Comfort Triple Room

Quite practical Location,. 10 min on feet to Central Station and City Center. Room was very good and we got a free Upgrade to Suite. Supermarket are nearby. Breakfast is Buffet and okay.

• Comfort Double Room

The 1st room had a bad odour which I assume came from the toilet. The 2nd room we were assigned had no signal on the TV, but no technician was available to fix it.

Close to central and restaurants. The (2nd) room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was good (but due to a long drive we had to leave before it was fully laid out).

• Comfort Double Room

Room was quite small for three persons and we had to bang the door to lock it.

Great location, comfortable, clean and well isolated rooms, good breakfast,a water kettle in the room, and very good price. We got an extra bed for a child without any extra cost. Friendly staff!

• Comfort Double Room

A little confused about the entrance of the hotel. The front desk is in the lounge next door.

15 minutes walk to the central. There is a tram station at the door. Great breakfast with a variety of drinks, cereal, bread, cheese, sausages, fruits..... Good interior decoration. All the staff we met were very nice and helpful. Special thanks to the gentleman and the young lady who helped us deal with the train problem.

• Comfort Double Room

Shower doors are difficult to open and close. Extremely slow wifi.

Great location - Sbahn stop is in front of hotel and the old town is easily reached in just 5 minutes by foot. Breakfast selection is simple but quite wide.

• Comfort Double Room facing Courtyard

Perhaps, the lack of a mini-fridge in the room.

Convenient location. The room with courtyard view is very quiet. Relatively new and modern furniture. Comfortable beds, good Wifi signal. Breakfast was OK. The staff were friendly.

• Comfort Double Room facing Courtyard

It's a great location, close to city centre and just beside public transport. Good breakfast, clean and comfortable rooms. But no room service which is fine

• Comfort Double Room

There was nothing I really disliked

Breakfast is really good with a variety of choices. Excellent for a hotel of this category. Also, the room was cleaned very well every day. Excellent job by cleaning staff!

• Comfort Double Room

Nice hotel. We only stayed overnight on our way from our skiing vacation, so we can't say much about the area. The room was nice, the bed was comfortable, good noise insulation. Great value for money. Breakfast was excellent - cold and hot dishes, lunch meats, cheeses, fruit, drinks, cereals, etc. Pretty much everything to suit different tastes. The lady that was working in the breakfast room was doing a great job refilling the trays with food and cleaning up. We are glad that we found this hotel to spend the night in.

• Comfort Double Room

There was no hot water for 3 days, water was a kind of warm, but closer to cold. Central heating was also absent, just electrical heater, which was noisy.

Breakfast is good, clean enough.

• Comfort Double Room

There was obviously some problem when we arrived. Took an age to check in. One of the rooms given to us was already occupied, with someone’s things in the room. Thankfully no one was in the room at the time. Very poor.

• Comfort Triple Room

very loud party in the lounge until 4 am. With 2 small children it was a nightmare. we should have been placed not above the lounge!!!! will not go back

breakfast was well done

• Comfort Double Room facing Courtyard

- There were no phones available in the rooms so we could not call the reception if we needed anything. - The reception was closed after midnight until morning! - There were no refrigerators.

• Comfort Double Room

Sink too small Water escapes the shower My room could have been painted. The light at the mirror was burned out => not enough light for shaving Shoe cleaning equipment in the lobby not plugged in, no plug in possibilities, looked like a decoration.

The breakfast was OK. Kind and responsible staff

• Comfort Double Room

Check-in took a while due to a long line and only one staff member handling arrivals - but the part that irritated me was the amount of small-talk between the staff and arriving guests considering how many people were in line...

• Comfort Double Room

Everything are fine, they are very close to shop, tram and city centre are within walking distance. Breakfast are ok, the croissant were memorable but the only turn off point is that the elevator was rather small and and can only occupy a stroller with an adult. For those who travelling with small kids, all you need is extra patience.

• Comfort Double Room facing Courtyard

A mini fridge in the room would have been nice. We also would have appreciated access to the dining room even outside of breakfast buffet hours.

Great selection of vegan options in the breakfast buffet - we just brought our own soy milk. :)

• Comfort Double Room

Receptionist was on the phone and ignored the first for more than 10 mins. Then gave me a room number which doesn’t exists. After going up and down, 2 times then finally got a different room number with the correct key to enter. The room was smelling very bad, carpets very old and dirty. Bathroom not cleaned properly. Bed sheets very quite itchy. I felt horrible staying there, couldn’t sleep until 3.00 am.

• Comfort Double Room facing Courtyard

On arrival we parked in the car park. No camera's or security. Disinterested receptionist who just added the charge without comment. We were given a room on the front despite booking one at the back. When we asked to move she asked us if we had used the toilet !! then said she was upgrading us. This wasn't the case as we had booked a back room and it was identical. The hotel layout was confusing with various floors allocated to the hotel and some refurbished and booked under a different name ( and cheaper). Breakfast was the same room for everyone. The room was modernised but was style over substance. The sink splashed everywhere and the shower was a walk in that also splashed everywhere. The space in the bathroom not big enough for the facilities. I thought it was quite expensive for what it was and the breakfast was nothing special. When we left the hotel, it was clear the area wasn't good. Beggar outside in the bins and it seemed quite dodgy. Definitely wouldn't stay here again, we were on a trip from Italy back to the UK and this was the worst hotel we stayed in.

The hotel was close to facilities in the city including a supermarket and shops etc.

• Comfort Double Room

Stains on the bed sheets. Position of the toilet-paper holder: could hurt someone. The exhaust-fan in the bathroom was very silent or did not work at all.

Friendly staff overall. Breakfast with lots of choices, well presented. Good under-hotel-parking at euro 12/ 24h. Supermarket at 30 meters distance. Very near Karlsruhe center. Public transport in front of the Hotel. Speedy internet in the rooms. Hotwater maker in room.

• Superior Triple Room

Construction zone. WiFi was a pain to sign-in to as the next door Hotel had greater "power" and over-whelmed Best Western, and signing in with each use was annoying.

Under renovation - our level was dusty. Hot water was very slow to arrive in the shower. Otherwise close to the shopping area and restaurants.

• Comfort Double Room

The bathroom flooded. I had to clean out the drain filter as the water flooded all over the bathroom floor and then I had to use all the towels to prevent it from flooding into the room. This incident spoilt our stay. Also the toilet seat was cracked and dirty - we had to cover this with toilet paper to prevent a risk of cuts and scratches, this was unhygienic. We told the staff who were unable to pass comment. I have attached photos below.

The room was small but acceptable.

• Comfort Double Room

The opening time for breakfast could be extended. One night the music from the bar downstairs was very loud. No coffee stick provided, only tea bags.

The hotel is well situated with bars, restaurants and shopping street nearby. Wide choice for breakfast. I also appreciated the kettle in the room for boiling tea.

• Comfort Double Room

Just a little bit noisy on the first floor from the traffic outside.

Everything was as expected from the pictures and notes. The room was very clean and so the bathroom. The breakfast was ok but it was just 5 Euros.

• Comfort Double Room

We could hear all our neighbours walk around their rooms, open doors, watch TV, talk, etc. The bathroom was small and with its glass door, it felt like you are inside the room when you are in it.

Good location. Staff were amazing.

• Comfort Triple Room

Could be a bit cleaner and the reception area felt a bit dark and unwelcoming.

Good value, location and Breakfast choice was great. Nice staff. Car park is extra. Ideal short stay hotel no frills.

Themain entrance is basically hidden. We came late at night and couldnt figure out how to get in. Theres 4 doors but only one entry.

It was very central easy to get around places and if lost easy to get back

• Comfort Double Room

The sky TV didn't have many channels.

The Bathroom was humongous. The room smelled a bit like a toilet, but otherwise was really nice. The breakfast buffet was unlike anything I've ever had before. Amazing.

• Comfort Double Room

Fine if you are a midget or contortionist: one only has a little more than 70 centimeters (27.56 inches) of toilet space. Better take the elevator to the lobby if you have to go to the toilet! Even at night!!!!!

Centrally located. Rooms were clean.

• Comfort Double Room

Heating with electric radiator, not that safe when you are with small kids. Electric power went down many times over night and every morning, for two days, at breakfast time and after. We booked an extra large bed for 2 adults and one 6 years old, and it was 2 single beds made in one. Not so confy for 3 persons. And they gave us only 2 pillows and 2 blankets for 3 persons. We asked for on more on the first night, but no help. In my opinion, to expensive for what it gives.

The good thing is the location, very close to center town, good breakfast and undergroung parking but sketchy to find a slot that is booked by the hotel. Not all parking slots belong to the hotel!

• Comfort Double Room

How can the pub at the reception be closed? There is no atmosphere upon entry whatsoever.

We booked as a couple with a daughter of 7. A triple room. We got a room with no extra bed for our 7 year old. The receptionist is rude and we eventually got an extra bed late at night.

• Comfort Double Room

Old rooms and terrible igene. The bathroom was the worse. To reach the hotel reception is tricky to find. The personnel is not that friendly. The carpet in the room is full of strange stains and smelly. Our nightly partners? Spiders and spider webs. To notice that in the room there was the boiler for the water and the coffee cream... But no presence of coffee. If you want to fill in water in the boiler, the sink is to small to let you do that...so you have to use the shower or I their bottle of water... That you must pay off course. The parking lot cost 12 euro a day but is always open... Even at night. I don't recommend this place to anyone.

The central position makes easy to reach the city center. This is the only positive thing that I found at this hotel. The morning receptionist was kind... The only one of the 4 I met.

• Comfort Double Room

First of all, the hotel rooms are inside a residential/office building. The reception is not in the same house, but a few houses down the street. This made it look kind of shady because there were all kinds of people walking in and out or standing in the entrance smoking, so the whole staircase smelled of smoke. Speaking of smoke, the first room they gave me smelled of smoke too so they gave me another one. There are no phones in the rooms, so if you need to contact reception you have to go outside and walk down the street. Which is extra annoying when the installed hair dryer works for 1 minute and then shuts off. There were also stains on my sheets. :-/

The rooms look ok and the breakfast was good.

• Comfort Double Room facing Courtyard

Even though i booked and paid two nights, after the first night i was allready checked out by the hotel and my room was given to someone else. Hotel explanations was : We thought you were gone. Rooms soundproofing is bad, you can hear everything from outside(cars, people etc), beds are small, heating of the rooms is bad. And services can be improved alot.Price is to high compared to what you get. I would not recomend it to anyone

• Comfort Double Room

This was the first time I had to pay for the Parking (12 €), previous times it was free.

this was the third time I booked in Hotel am Karlstor through booking.com, and I found that the staff are very friendly and helpful to the greatest extend. also the WIFI improved drastically ans more powerful. The room is very clean.

• Comfort Double Room

WiFi is not fast at all.

Very nice and modern hotel. This is one of the best hotels I’ve ever stayed in Germany (apart Bavaria). I can imagine that it’s because of strong I influence from France which just few km away from Karlsruhe. Comfy room, pleasant enterior, nice bathroom, good bed. Very good breakfast included in price. Close to the city center. Very clean. Friendly staff.

• Comfort Double Room

The Name of hotel in main street ist Lounge Hotel and it is confusing because in booking.com ist Hotel am Karlstor. there are 2 Hotels that they work together

good location

• Comfort Double Room

Breakfast was excellent. Location was also very good for us. Hotel was accessible for wheelchair user apart from room, where was one step inside the room we were staying. Though room was very large. We were very satisfied with our stay there.

• Comfort Double Room

The hotel is run by crooks and they do not respect the people who come through Bocking and do not fulfill the terms of the contract. They use the offers on www.booking.com to bring Clint and there they forced them to pay more money to change the room. For example I booked a 20m room with my two children but they give me room 6m² or i must to pay to got bigger. when I called Booking.com the first call. The employee gave me incorrect information and according to my conviction yesterday (Bocking and hotels )are working as a big Mafia and the customer is goods for sale . i ll wait booking to fix it .

• Comfort Double Room

Nothing , a bit funny to see that the rooms are located on the 3rd floor in a building !

Everything! Especially for the price ! 60.20€ for a one night with the breakfast!

• Comfort Double Room facing Courtyard

Reception was separate to the hotel. Staff were discourteous. Rooms were expensive for the low quality. Had to move rooms three times. A colleague delayed by air traffic strikes had his room cancelled. Had to pay again. Took towels away, and didn't replace them. Actually called Hotel Zi. Photos on booking.com did not represent the hotel well. Bar never opened. One room I was forced to move to was disgracefully appointed - with one curtain where two should have been. Dishonest and crooked staff. I recommend people avoid this hotel completely.

The breakfast was okay, though that was the only time the restaurant area opened each day - for breakfast. There was a bar next door that had Sky football and friendly landlady, and a good restaurant down the road.

• Comfort Double Room

there was a nasty smell in the corridor, next to my room. besides that every day we had to inform the receptionist that there was no coffee sachets in our coffee,

hotel was ok, good breakfast, good location, very easy to find amenties

• Comfort Double Room

They should have fruit by breakfast.

Good situation, clean, underground parking, Great value for money.Last but not least : very good reading light in the room.

• Comfort Double Room

My TV did not get all the news channels it was supposed to and this was not corrected over my 3 niht stay.

Excecellent value for money and the more so when the splendid breakfast is taken into account. Very handy for trams and also very quiet

• Comfort Double Room

Car parking spaces were part of a larger underground car park and some what spread around. Wasn't particularly bright down there at night.

Very good breakfast. Good size room which was well serviced. Underground parking. Close to far from the central parks and town centre. Tram stop outside if required. Two quiet nights.

• Comfort Double Room

I asked for a quiet room, but got a room on the extremely noisy street side (no airco/ventilation system in the rooms, so opening a window is not possible, unless you want to be gassed by car/truck fumes, or bothered by loud car and tram noises). The guy at the reception was rude to my wife; there was one person in front of my wife at the counter when she came in, and she waited a few meters a side from her at the counter. The reception clerk told my wife as a command: "Step back". My wife asked is there a line where I have to stand behind, like in the bank? The reception guy said: WHAT? So to keep the story short: rude communication! Parking is also clumsy, as all parkings underground from the hotel were taken, and you had to go up to the hotel to ask how the parking is arranged. Then they gave a form with some extra private parkings. But finding the hotel entrance is impossible, as the hotel has a different name (not Hotel am Karlstor, but some Hotel Lounge or so). So it took my wife some time to find the hotel, so she asked in Hotel Lounge, and it seemed that this hotel is also Hotel am Karlstor. Very weird business, even though the hotel rooms look nice. Breakfast is on the third floor, if they were smart they would relocate the restaurant to the front noisy side, so that guests can have calm rooms at the breakfast restaurant side.

Good beds, and good breakfast. But that is really all!

• Comfort Double Room

Shower area too small . Mattress not comfortable, too much noise from street , because u must open window . No AC even no Ventilator in 20- 30 temperature

this Hotel is one of the worse Hotel ever , i have booked two rooms for my family and other family guests and we arrived at late night we were with Kids,the rooms was not as been shown online when we asked them to change the room the receptionist answer in rude way "we are fully booked " and instead of giving options for customer service sake they saying that they will never refund me the payment ! at the end i booked in another Hotel in the mid of night. when i claim against them at Booking.com they refuse to refund and claim they offered me another rooms so they also liers. very bad attitude and bad customer services ..highly not recommended

• Comfort Double Room

Very hot weather and no fan or AC. Requested iron several times over three days. Not available. Staff were not interested. Didn't want to help.

Bulgarian staff member at breakfast was very courteous and helpful.

• Comfort Double Room

Small room, damaged bathroom equipment, problem finding the way from the garage to the hotel, no air condition, good looking but not very practical bathroom design

Quite good breakfast included, modern look, clean.

• Comfort Double Room

There was no air conditioning so the room was very hot meaning we had to open the windows which made the room very noisy from the traffic which went on most of the night. The parking was good but very expensive and not advertised as an additional cost

The room Was comfortable and the breakfast was good

• Superior Triple Room

"Superior triple room with queen bed and twin bed" --> in reality "tiny double room with queen bed + foldout bed (very narrow, 1 person)". This was huge dissapointment and blow on comfort. No way this was a room for 3 adults and 1 child. Felt almost like false advertisement No airco No fridge

Bathroom was good Matrass on queen bed was good Breakfast is ok

• Comfort Double Room

Rooms are ok, clean in general but can be improved (dust at the window grids and bath room heaters)

Breakfast was ok, enough to choose but somewhat crowded at the buffet. Good location, near the city center and close to the highway.

• Comfort Double Room facing Courtyard

No air conditioning and very noisy with window open. TV didn't work. Kettle, cups and saucers provided but no tea or coffee! No information available in room.

Good breakfast. Comfy bed.

• Comfort Double Room

Not a conventional hotel: Although it looks that they are in the same building, the hotel reception and the rooms have different street access doors with somehow confusing labels on them, if any (e.g.: a small "Hotel Lounge" label for the reception but no trace of "Karlstor" anywhere around...!). Rooms are located in the first and fourth floors of the building (rooms in the first floor look much newer than those in the fourth!), 2nd and 3rd floors have other uses (offices?). Breakfast room is at the 4th floor, not easy to find the first time. Receptionist was not very helpful when asking for anything, looked like he was not very comfortable using other language than German, so asking the simplest thing was like posing a challenge for him.

Excellent breakfast for the price. Kind personnel. We got a nice and clean big room with a spacious bathroom and comfortable bed in the first floor. Only drawback was noise from main street (somehow expected for a centrally located hotel), but you can always ask for a room at the back of the building. Another inconvenience was the lack of air conditioning in this specific room, but we had a big fan that helped a little during the hottest nights of the year in Karlsruhe. The room size was quite bigger than regular ones so we did not complain much ;)

• Comfort Double Room

We couldn't park in the allocated space as the parking was underground and we had a roofbox on our car. We did strike lucky as we found a space outside the hotel which was free at weekends. All we had to pay was €2.50 from 0800-1000 on Monday morning instead of the €12 the hotel wanted. The man on reception could have been more helpful when we asked about this although he did redeem himself by recommending a good Italian restaurant called Vapiano (10 min walk) which served gluten free food for my wife. The rooms were a big double bed which would have been fine but we had booked two rooms for two adults and four kids 4-15 in age so it was a bit of a squeeze

The continental breakfast was good, plenty of choice. The location was good, lots of bars and restaurants within walking distance The hotel was clean and quite modern

• Comfort Triple Room

Very busy and noisy area. Train every 10 minutes made a lot of noise. Slept on front side The extra bed was not very comfortable.

Clean and nice room. Breakfast is ok, lots of choice Stadtgarten zoo about 15 minutes walk is great! Also the pubs and restaurants in the neighbourhood are very cosy and fun

• Comfort Double Room facing Courtyard

Our room got a very bed smell. And I booked a room for 2 adults and 1 kid. But there was no extra bed. Both problems couldn't been solved. I don't understand all the great reviews?? We had a bad experience:(

The breakfast was Ok and the staff as well.

• Comfort Double Room

the price for the parking is rather high.

very good value for money. artificial fireplace program on the room TV. excellent breakfast. great location for city center walks.

• Comfort Single Room

Necessary to watch out for location of rooms. Those facing the inner courtyard are quiet; those facing the road are loud. No safe in room.

Good location for supreme court. Kettle in room is useful.

• Comfort Double Room facing Courtyard

It was a little difficult to find, but that was the only downside.

Stayed for one night to break up yhe drive to Austria. Lovely friendly staff, room was great value for money! Very nice modern bathroom too. Felt very relaxed.

• Comfort Double Room facing Courtyard

our room was at the noisiest side of the hotel, i.e. the traffic was full on (trams and cars). It was alright with the windows closed, however at the time it was also hot. At time of booking I had ticked a box that referred to a request for a quieter room. Obviously that did not yield any result. There are many rooms facing a backyard, presuming that those rooms are a fair bit quieter.

the breakfast buffet is excellent

• Comfort Double Room

The only thing - there were no croissants for breakfast and we're quite used to them

The staff was super helpful, we really liked the kettle and several tea options in the room, there were a lot of breakfast options (several juices and coffee options in the coffee machine) - and it was not loud at all, even in this very center location

• Comfort Double Room facing Courtyard

Difficult to find, the hotel reception states "Zi Hotel" Rooms facing the main street are noisy No air conditioning for the summer months is uncomfortable Wifi is limited to one code per device and codes expire after a time

Capable staff, friendly with all guests Professional service at all times Good breakfast selection and quality

• Superior Triple Room

No airco, very hot in de room. Very few possibilities to ventilate the room through the window. Wont visit again. Also front desk staff is unfriendly en rude.

• Comfort Double Room

Like most mid range hotels in Europe the rooms get very hot without air conditioning

In a good location near to plenty of places to eat and drink. Only a short stroll to the zoo and parklands. The Iraqi gentleman at the desk was very helpful.

• Comfort Double Room facing Courtyard

The only thing which I can mark in this column was regarding the AC. It was quite hot in the night and it ruined my sleep.

The staffs were too friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and well equipped with a neat bathroom. The hotel offered an excellent breakfast that we really enjoyed. The location was too good that we felt we were exactly in the center of Karlsruhe

• Comfort Double Room

Hotel hard to find as there is no big sign so you need to pay close attention to the address on the gps.

You get a lot for your money! Very clean and good fascilities plus great breakfast. Stayed here for one night on our way to Italy. Can definitely recommend. A pedestrian street with good restaurants nearby.

• Comfort Double Room

I had asked for a quiet room because I like open windows at night. Our room was located at the street side and that was very noisy and the room was too hot !!!! AC ??

Comfort bed, nice room. Lovely breakfast and a late check out ( 12 o'clock)

• Comfort Single Room

They don't have a proper reception. Difficult to find it. They don't have aircondition or heater so that it is extremely hot in the room. The wash basin in the bathroom was hanging down a little bit and also lighting was not considered so that it was dark in some areas such as Garderobe but too bright in the bathroom. Carpet was so dusty.

• Comfort Double Room facing Courtyard

Clean and spacious superior room. Good and large underground parking space. It is also an option to leave a car on the street near hotel (parkometr from 8 till 20 workday) Fantastic breakfest makes your start of the day smooth and easy.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

• Comfort Double Room

Expensive parking 12euros per night, found a place to leave my car but need to search, not enough lightning in the room

Excellent breakfast, good location was able to walk everywhere

• Comfort Single Room

Due to the price I paid I was quite surprised to find that the hotel lobby is in a "lounge bar" and that access to the hotel rooms is via a street entrance next door. The hotel rooms are in a building with other businesses and traffic - not a safe feeling for a woman traveling alone.

The room was small but clean and newly furnished.

• Comfort Single Room

Karlsruhe for me was a travel stop..ie stop rest continue. I didn't know it was a holiday weekend in Germany and that breakfast commenced an hour later than usual, as a result I had no breakfast. I had a fair amount of difficulty finding the car parking. I may have missed the information but I hadn't initially realised where the car park entrance was.

very helpful staff. very interesting car park

Browse Hotel am Karlstor traveller photo gallery