Reviews of Hotel Am Schloss 3 stars

Burgsteige 18, 72070 Tübingen, Germany

#2 of 13 hotels in Tübingen

The major drawback is that there is no elevator, and access to the hotel and the room, It will be difficult if you are not strong enough to take lot of stairs with your luggage and hike up hill to hotel.

Very quiet location on a hill next to the castle and only a few steps away from most of the sights in the old town. We found this hotel by accident during our search for one night stay in area close to the castles. We had car so no problem getting to hotel, though hotel has no dedicated parking, they have you park on the street in front of hotel / around and would take care of parking tickets if that happened ( kind of freaked me out ) Very friendly staff and very good and attractively arranged buffet breakfast. We didn't expect the quality breakfast and exceeded our expectation

Superb hotel with the best location! (Views of the castle gate from our window). Excellent breakfast, and the restaurant deserves its high reputation for dinner in the evening... If I return to Tubingen, I would stay here again!

It was extremely hot over the last few days, so it was a bit too warm and humid in the room. However, there is nothing that could be done about this since one can't simply install air conditioning in a listed historic building.

I was very impressed with the hotel's outstanding customer service. Due to a delay at the airport we arrived several hours after the latest possible check-in time. The people at the reception desk waited patiently until well after 1am in order to welcome us and sort out the check-in. There was a last-minute change and another guest had to be added to the booking. Once again this was dealt with in an exemplary manner. When we had to print boarding passes for a flight, the hotel staff couldn't have been any more helpful and friendly. The hotel is located right off the market square in the centre of Tübingen. The rooms are very clean, comfortable and characterful. The wifi connection was fast and reliable, so I could even get some work done during our stay. The breakfast was excellent as well. I particularly enjoyed the selection of high-quality teas, the yoghurt and the fruit salad. I'd be more than happy to stay at this hotel again.

Access by car is rather scenic and parking is on a very sloping, crowded, cobbled square. However, left car keys with hotel who do a fine valet parking job!

Location is spectacular - yards from the castle gate, a couple of minutes from the market square and ten minutes down to the river. Lots of stairs to higher rooms, rewarded by spectacular views across the city. All rooms are individual with interesting features and decor. Dinner was excellent, breakfast buffet is small but good. Good coffee.

The duvets were far heavier than needed considering the room was well heated.

Fantastic location, extremely friendly and helpful staff and a family atmosphere!

• Deluxe Double Room

There is no door on the shower stall, the water goes everywhere. I was in a different building as the breakfast, luckily it did not rain while I was there. There is only one very narrow road to the hotel. One dumpster truck can (and did) block the way for 10 minutes or more.

Nice looking, well lit room, friendly and helpful staff. The hotel really is next to the castle.

I loved my stay at the Am Schloss. Excellent location, the rooms are clean, the shower is great and the breakfasts are wonderful. The staff are very friendly and accommodating. I was there over the Easter weekend and I loved all the little Easter touches (chocolate eggs at reception; bunnies and decorations at breakfast). It was an easy 15 minute walk to the train station. It was perfect and I was sad to leave!

No coat hook at the door. No lift available for four-story house (but baggage porter service available).

400-years old but renovated room with a bath tub. Good scenic view from the restaurant. Good access to Schloss, Am Markt, and other sightseeing spot.

Only thing but this is a matter of preference: beds a little too hard.

Wonderful kitchen staff and breakfast, staff very accommodating, spectacular views from room and restarrant, lovely down comforter, very comfortable room and great bathroom.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Great location overlooking the city of Tubingen. Great for exploring the Old Town and Chocolate Festival. Room was large with a fantastic bathroom. Overall was a good stay and would come back again.

Parking is in front of the hotel, but quite inconfortable (inclined plane)

Excellent location. Very comfortable rooms. Cosy breakfastroom with view on the city.

No elevators

This is such a great place to stay - great location (driving up was a bit tricky but do-able) in the center of old town but on a quiet street, spacious and clean room, and great restaurant that serves good old Schwäbische Küche. Breakfast was great.

Cozy hotel in the center of little known but fun city, Tuebingen, with access to the city's restaurants and it's right next to the castle. The staff here was incredibly friendly!

• Deluxe Double Room

We both thought it was very much overpriced, and the car parking was expensive, I don't think we would stay here again, we stayed in other hotels during this trip, that were just as good, but cost a lot less.

everything was OK. all the staff were pleasant and helpfull

There were no elevators. As the room was on the 4th floor, it was a rather long climb. Also, they could not accommodate us for dinner.

The beds were very comfortable and the room spacious. The breakfast was very good.

We have visited Hotel Am Schloss before. The staff were very helpful and friendly, food good and highly enjoyable. Our previous visit (2016) was in the main hotel, where the rooms are rather marvellous and fit in the historic building. At this visit (2017) we were placed in the annex, located opposite the main building. The rooms were great again. The hotel is very central to the historic centre of Tubingen, ideal for seeing the old town.

The parking was a bit difficult as it was on a very steep slope

We had a lovely large room in the annexe of the hotel in walking distance of the old town. The bathroom was very big and very modern with a lovely shower. The breakfast was very good with plenty of choice

This was a lovely place to stay. The building is unique and definitely the tyle of Tübingen. I enjoyed how central this was so I could access the rest of the city with relative ease. The room itself was amazing.

Bath room was very small and substandard for this price range. We had to pay for newspapers. There were some very noisy Nobel laureates (!) in the hotel. For instance, one of them regularly made long phone calls in an after-dinner salon. But the hotel cannot be blamed for that!

Extremely wonderful location on the borders of the Bodensee. Swimming pool area (very stylish).

No elevator to the rooms, I got a room on the third floor (Schiller room) of the annex building and climbing the stairs with luggage –albeit the help of the staff– can be a challenge. Having the room decorated with a green carpet, given that there is a wooden floor underneath, doesn't seem as the best decoration choice. The mattress and the pillows could be better.

Great location in the very centre of the old city of Tübingen. Helpful and nice staff. Generous breakfast buffet. The breakfast room turns into a good restaurant on afternoons and evenings and serves good food from the region (Swabia).

OMG, I was so happy there was still a parking place right in front when I arrived. But a little nerve-racking to park on so steep w my manual transmission rental car.

Nice staff, and notable help in getting my android phone (using chrome) to get on internet, great breakfast, parking permitted through 5pm on day of check out. Proximity to castle and old town.

Very comfortable rooms with stylish fixtures and furnishings. Great position with easy access to the town centre. Tasty local dishes on the dinner menu.

Centrally located within easy walking distance of the university, good room with views. Interesting local Swabian food for dinner and good breakfasts.

It was a hot day in Tübingen, and we had a room on the second floor. Since no airco is available, it was very warm in the room. A large fan was placed in the room, so as to give at least some airflow, but of course the temperature remained high. As the hotel is in an old building, there is no elevator. Fortunately, a member of the staff helped us carry our luggage upstairs.

The location is excellent : next to the old castle of Tübingen, and in the immediate vicinity of the market square. The hotel is in an old house and this also gives the property extra charm. The parking place is directly opposite and thus very close to the hotel. Staff at breakfast was very friendly.

This is a lovely hotel. The staff were very friendly and we had two rooms with a private courtyard so that our dog could go outside. This was extremely convenient. It's in a lovely part of the old town. Very clean and comfortable. No complaints at all!

• Deluxe Double Room

Room was noisy due to a festival in town but after music stopped room was very quiet. No lift but was helped up stairs with luggage.

Comfortable and clean. Restaurant was excellent. Staff very friendly. Excellent bathroom.

The staff was OK, not rude, but not really super helpful

The value for the money is what I liked best. It was quite clean, and had a very good restaurant.

The room (19) definitely needs some attention (repainting, etc), e.g. the window, which is in poor condition. Also: the shower is actually dangerous. Every time I turned the water off, the change of water pressure propelled the shower head out of its holder and sent it crashing to the floor of the shower. It took me by surprise the first time, and came close to landing on my foot, which could easily have resulted in a broken bone. If you cannot fix this problem, you should at least warn your guests. You do not want to injure them!

I like to stay at the Am Schloss when I visit Tübingen because I love the location and the hotel's charm. It takes a little effort to deal with the steep streets and narrow, high stairs in the hotel itself; but the results are well worth it. And the restaurant with its outside tables and views is a delight.

• Deluxe Double Room

Very adaptable staff. One afternoon a thunderstorm came through and knocked down a huge tree branch onto the dining patio with some damage. The staff were on it and serving dinner cheerfully two hours later. They were so helpful and always pleasant. The restaurant is delicious - my daughter is studying there and we wanted to treat her to especially good food. We were all very happy with everything we ate. And our room was huge and beautifully furnished. Would love to return.

I felt like a little bit unstable when I was staying our room.

The perfect location, the hotel is next to schloss and view from the room is also awsome. Especially the traditional breakfast is amaizing tasty and coffee is also great. We had nice time to stay there.

My single room was small and located on the fourth floor of another building on the opposite side of the street and down the hill from the main hotel building. This was disappointing as I had selected this hotel for its character and location, and was not alerted to my alternate room location on booking.

The staff were friendly, and the location very scenic.

The room was at a hotel dependance down the street at the highest floor just under the roof without a lift and accessible via very uncomfortable stairs. The other hotel parameters including the breakfast were very basic but in most cases it is "German standard".

Tubingen is a charming old town worth of visit.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

I'm an early riser, but coffee was not available until 7 am. I like to get up at the crack of dawn, sip coffee while watching the breaking of day--all this before breakfast. I would be happy to even serve myself coffee--hotels in Prague and Munich even had instant coffee to be made in your own room!

Service was excellent. Breakfast delicious and plentiful.

I was irritated my gps couldn't find the hotel, but staff was more than helpful when I called for directions. It was well worth the search. The hotel is perfectly situated with the castle right outside , & a close walk to everything. The room are well renovated & super charming. My son (13) & I loved it. I'd go back!😄

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

Hard to find a negative for me. No airconditioning, but in an old building, that's understandable.

Right at the top of the hill, in the old town, next to the schloss. Interior, traditional with a modern twist, stylish. Excellent breakfast.

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

No air conditioning. However, wasn't a bad thing. With the windows open, it was very comfortable.

Great location in old town. Has parking. Great bed. Breakfast is great...even has scrambled eggs for us Americans. Very clean.

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

The road up to the hotel was very skinny, and the parking was challenging. I did not realize that the hotel was actually a restaurant, so I went into the student dorm next door by mistake.

The room was spacious with an excellent view of Tubingen. Everything was elegantly appointed--even the wardrobe. Dining on the terrace for dinner was very pleasant.

Would have been useful to have a kettle in the room to make hot drinks.

The room was newly decorated and fitted to a high standard. Breakfast was good. Great location in the heart of the old town.

My room which was very spacious and quiet,had excellent views over the rooftops of the Old Town. Just outside the hotel are the famous Castle and a good selection of Bars and Restaurants.If you like browsing antique shops there are several clustered around the Square located below the hotel.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

- busy breakfast, but still good

- very nice and spacious room - great views - location is perfect - just next to the heart of the town - good breakfast

There is no lift in the hotel, so make sure you can reach your room if you have a problem walking up the stairs. The staff help with the luggage, so no worries about that.

The location is excellent, just outside the castle. Each room has its own atmosphere.

Parking can be a little tricky because the hotel is built on a steep hill. It's best to park your car at the beginning of your stay and walk or take the city buses.

This was the nicest hotel we stayed in during our 10-day trip. The breakfasts were wonderful, the rooms were very clean, and the staff was tremendous. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

Nothing it was exactly what we expected everybody was very friendly it's in a small town in a delightful place to visit

It is a delightful chalet type hotel and the staff and everyone was delightful

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

Nothing, It was a great hotel for its star rating.

We stayed in the attic of this historic house with wonderful views. It was quite a hike up the stairs but the staff dealt with our heavy bags. The traditional food in the restaurant was excellent and the staff very friendly.

• Reviewed: 1 February 2017

This hotel is a real royal experience. It's really beautiful. The staff was very helpful and in special, I was amazed how gently and kind they are. Very reliable people. I really recommend this place to stay. It might be not cheap in a first glance, but once you go, they way they attend you and the place itself, the cost does not matter.

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

Parking is tricky - let hotel staff deal with it as you have to pay a parking charge!

Really enjoyed this hotel and the quaint town of Tubingen. Very friendly welcome which makes a big difference. Cosy and comfortable rooms. The street up is very steep with a nasty turn - so beware. Good breakfast. Hotel's restaurant is very good and popular - make sure to book.

• Reviewed: 21 December 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

No elevator. Few parking spots, but the staff would help find one.

Central position. Excellent staff. Good breakfast. Clean and nice room. Wifi good. Large and silent room.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

It was not a problem for me, but there is no lift which might be difficult for some people.

The hotel is located at the gates to the Castle/University, with a view over the valley to the mountains beyond. The walk from the station is uphill, but not too steep, over cobbled streets, through the very scenic town. The staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms are individually designed, very clean and comfortable, with completely modern bathrooms. The restaurant is very pleasant, serving local food at lunch and dinner, and a delicious breakfast.

• Reviewed: 9 December 2016

Difficult to reach by car unless you have worked out the route in advance. If you have a right-hand drive car, beware hidden kerbstones on the left-hand side!

My room was very quiet. No ambient noise. Great view over the city.

• Reviewed: 7 December 2016

Driving to the hotel was very hard, if you have a "wide" car or a bigger one, you will struggle. Parking was "paid for" however not gauranteed. I ended up parking illegally but luckily did not get ticketed. Still had to pay for the parking at the hotel.

Hotel room was amazing, and location - from touristic point of view, was very nice

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

I stayed at this Hotel last year and the stay was perfect. This time i wasn't so impressed. Firstly, last year i stayed in the main Hotel however this year we were taken to a different building (only 50 yards away) but this is not advertised on booking.com and i don't think its fair. You should be notified that you could be staying in another building that is nothing like the main Hotel. No English channels and room very basic. Poor pillows

Excellent location just a short walk to the main market square. Staff polite and helpful. Restaurant serves excellent food at more than reasonable prices

• Reviewed: 14 October 2016

There's nothing that can be done about the sharp bend and steep hill as you arrive - just have faith, you will arrive safely!

Lovely bed,:friendly breakfast waitress.: view over the rooftops of the town. Steep hill, but great central location.

Our rooms were in the annex and one room was really bad and needed to be remodeled. The other room that was remodeled, had a very dangerous shower floor. The annex had steep stairs and we were on the 3rd floor. The parking is very crazy and even though you reserve parking, it is a maze and you have to leave keys so they can rearrange the cars.

The food was good in the restaurant.

the room (nr 19) I had this time needs refurbishment regarding the isolation of the old window and the bathroom, particularly the correct temperature adjustment of the shower was very difficult and resulted in a waste of water, the superior room I had last time (nr 22) was more comfortable and with a view in both directions of the city, but is also more expensive, so price for value is okay

breakfast, staff, Location, private parking for 7 EUR per day

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

Don't be intimidated by very narrow road, or incline at start of last 100 km if in a car. Being an old building, thereby lacking insulation, feeling some rooms could be little cool in winter.

Very professionally run place. The staff, esp. Ralf Owner turns what could be a disaster into an awesome experience. Parked my car every night for me in view of the incline, and this not your usual lot. Staff carried luggage up 4 flights of stairs to me, since there are no elevators. Wi-fi signal good and strong. Quiet location. Also very close to old part of city. Top it off hotel has a good restaurant with lot of local specialities. Sitting outside overlooking city real nice. Would definitely stay here again. Great spot from which to tour Swabian Alp as I did.

• Reviewed: 29 August 2016

- no elevator. Bring light luggage. Or ask the friendliness staff for help. I did not.

- The Perfect location - Could use the hotel garage to park my motorcycle -the very attractvely renovated room

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

It is good for arriving by drive, but we carry baggage on foot.

The hotel is near the castle, need a little bit climb up. So there is a nice view for the old town. The staff is nice and helpful.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

Staying at the top floor in the absence of an elevator. However, the hotel is in a medieval building and the staff members were very helpful in carrying the luggage upstairs and back downstairs.

The location, close to the Schloss in the old city centre. The breakfast. The hotel has a good restaurant, which we only noticed too late and which is important because Tübingen (as a university town) does not have a wide selection of good restaurants.

• Reviewed: 6 July 2016

The room wasn't ready when we walked in. It would've been nice if they warned us or gave us an option. (Btw, I would never check into an unmade room.) It just left a bad first impression. The hotel was average but a little overpriced for a Sunday when nothing was open and nothing going on.

Staff were nice. The hotel has a good restaurant. Location was nice, right outside the palace but the town is small enough that all hotels are probably within walking distance of the palace and old town.

Parking is a challenge

Staff very friendly & professional

Perfect location, and restaurant has a beautiful terrace

Master switch as well as localized lighting, al quite accessible and appropriate

it doesn't have elevator

• Deluxe Double Room

I was ill during our stay here and the staff couldn't have been more supportive. We would stay here again if returning to Tubingen.

Parking payment for leaving the car in the middle of the street in a non allowed area

Food in the restaurant was terrible, and owners were extremely rude.

Breakfast ok

The room was more dated then in picture

Staff were great and very helpful

everything

Friendly staff, fantastic location.

Very comfortable hotel, friendly staff. right next to the Schloss and convienient for the town and river side restaurants & bars.

The hotel is the closest of all to the University.

A bit too expensive

Very cute hotel with nice rooms

Single room really very small but clean and cosy.

Parking is quite complicated.

Beautiful old traditional house well refurbished - prime location in the old town

Browse Hotel Am Schloss traveller photo gallery