Reviews of Hotel Amsterdam This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services offered. It is based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

Moorweidenstr. 34, Rothenbaum, 20146 Hamburg, Germany

#209 of 323 hotels in Hamburg

In the middle of Hamburg.
    • Economy Double Room with Shared Toilet

Shared toilet and no AC or fan.

Nice, big room with wood floor and king size bed. Location really good with walking distance to the city, to the lovely Grindel quarters or the Sternschanze quarters.

Staff was friendly and intelligent.
    • Economy Double Room with Shared Toilet

Photos of the rooms do not match to reality. Be carefully choosing especially economy class room. I expected totally different room. Instead of room from the photos I got totally different: very small, not ventilated, with dirty day curtains. Near the room (near door) was wardrobe with bedding. Maid room was walking and taking bedding all the morning. What is more, this room was near the kitchen, it was not possible to sleep from early morning. The main disadvantage of this hotel is that they haven't putted real rooms' photos in the internet. For eg. I saw small rooms in which shower was in the same room without any divide, where are these room's photos?

Staff was friendly and intelligent.

Just what we were looking for
    • Family Room (3 Adults)

This is a cute hotel in a very nice neighborhood right next to the University. The family room had 3 comfortable beds and there was still enough room for a small sofa and two chairs. The bathroom was a little dated but clean and funktionale . My advice if you are traveling with heavy luggage just leave it downstairs sice the checking desk is on the 2nd floor and the rooms are on ground floor. The hotel is 5 min walk from the station Hamburg Dammtor.

Pleasant

Realised belatedly that there is no aircon (in summer). Also, no bar fridge (which was compensated for by seeking assistance from reception desk with regards storage of medication).

Customer service and pleasantness of the female reception desk staff who checked us in and accommodated our request for keeping medication in the fridge. Large room, nice quaint cozy feel to room.

Overall a good impression if you just stay for 2 or 3 nights.

Bathroom area too small. The toilet fitted just in between the washingtable and the shower, all in all a bit too small.

Train- and S-Bahn station, as well as busses were nearby. Quite central, Forgot our umbrella, but could use one of the hotel.

Located in a nice & family-friendly area and close by to...

Bed was a bit uncomfortable and squeaky. There is no entrance for buggy, you will have to carry your buggy from ground to high entrance floor where you can get to the elevator.

Located in a nice & family-friendly area and close by to public transport. The building is really nice.

Charming building.

Very noisy rooms (cleaning noise 8am from room above, doors not isolated therefore much noise in the morning from other guests).

Charming building. Rooms decently furnished. Staff helpful and willing to solve noise issue.

Great location!
    • Economy Double Room with Shared Toilet

Breakfast not included and was upstairs, so with good weather you cant easily sit on the terrace

Basic room, nice shower, comfortable beds. Location is great as you can easily walk to the city center and st Pauli. If you don’t want to go for a walk, the Subway is very closeby.

never again, especially not for this price

Breakfast,

Room oldfashioned, Bathroom extremely tiny, poor wlan, noisy, no free plugs, tiny tv with no hd. had to pay cash in advance at the evening portier to get my room.

Very good location.
    • Comfort Double Room

There is no sign of the hotel out of the building. I had 3 tours arround to find it. Figured it out through google street view...

location was very good and the room looks stylish. i liked the windows and street view.

Clean room, great location.
    • Economy Single Room With Shared Toilet

The sink was in my room; toilet and shower in the bathroom. So I couldn't wash my hands after the toilet without touching the doors and keys. The WiFi didn't work most of the time.

Clean room, great location. Really good price for my room. It said "shared" bathroom but I hate a private bathroom not far from my room.

Very polite personnel of the Hotel, and very classic...
    • Comfort Double Room

Just more pressure needed to the water of the bathroom shower.

Very polite personnel of the Hotel, and very classic interior decor in line with the beautiful architecture of the building. Proximity to downtown of Hamburg and also to Alster Park within walking distance..

The location was very good.
    • Economy Double Room with Shared Toilet

First of all, I think that in the 21st century it shouldn’t be a problem to have a wi-fi connection. However, the WiFi didn’t work at all in the room, not even for a minute, it just didn’t connect. The lady at reception said that it’s probably because I have an apple device (iPhone), which I find a ridiculous excuse. It worked only in front of the reception, which was unacceptable for me. The bathroom was super tiny. And a “king size bed” turned out to be two single beds put together.

The location was very good.

Not a pleasant experience

The bed , the bathroom was horrible , everytime we would take a shower the bathroom would be flooded ... overall quality was not as expected. No option to cancel or any customer rights taken into consideration as the room was not as advertised on the website.

The hotel was clean, very close to a friend in town we were...
    • Economy Double Room with Shared Toilet

Honestly, the biggest complaint I have was the pillows. I'm not usually nitpicky, but the pillows were so flat, I had a hard time sleeping. It was a little expensive but we were there for New Years, so I assume that was the reason why (much cheaper than anything else in the area).

The hotel was clean, very close to a friend in town we were visiting, easy to get to public transportation, and the staff were nice and accommodating. I would recommend for anyone who would like to stay in this area, a little outside of the downtown section, but no issue getting to anywhere you might want to go.

Bad experience, would not stay here again

Our room looked nothing like the rooms in the pictures. It was above the reception/kitchen area, an outdated, dark room. Very noisy since the early morning as personnel was preparing for the breakfast. Talking about the breakfast- it was extremely basic, served for each table individually (bread/cheese/meat). The reception was closed after 22:00 (we were not aware of that when when we’ve arrived at night) and we had to collect our keys from the concierge downstairs (there are several hotels in the same building). Very low price / quality ratio, would not stay here again.

A very lovely lady was serving breakfast

Great location, great price.
    • Economy Double Room with Shared Toilet

Breakfast, at 20 Euros per couple, wasn't value for money.

This hotel is situated in a large building that houses other hotels. The location is excellent and being close to the railway network ensures easy transfers. Although we used the train coming in, we decided to take a taxi back to the airport due to our early start home. The cost was 27 euros, taxi, as opposed to 9 euros each by train. The reception staff were extremely helpful, both on the phone prior to arrival and during our stay and spoke excellent English. Our room was big enough, spotlessly clean, warm and quiet. Breakfast was 10 Euros and was typical continental style. We tried it once. It was very nice, but with the plethora of cafes inside the railway station selling gorgeous fair at half the price, it's worth the short trip out. The hotel is walking distance to the centre of the city, with plenty of restaurants to choose from. Hamburg is an affluent place. Expect to pay at least 15 euros for a main course and 5 Euros for a large beer. If you were interested in the livelier parts of the city, St Pauli, the red light area and the docks, you would need a cab. Overall we had an excellent stay and I would heartily recommend this hotel.

No value for money and clearly to be graded as 2 star max.
    • Economy Double Room

The price was double the usual price for no valid reason. Room was visible to the street. Internet was weak cause open to all. Reception at 2nd floor with crapy elevator when the rooms are in the main floor.. Beyond bizzare

Near main S-bahn.

Location was good, nice German Caffè just at the doorstep of...

Very very poor and buggy, almost non existent Internet connection with thick walls preventing usage of 3G Internet. Very dated furniture, more hostel than hotel. 4 (I think) hotels in one building, each taking one floor.

Location was good, nice German Caffè just at the doorstep of the building. Recommend going there for breakfast i/o paying for overpriced hotel food

The hotel room didn't have the typical hotel room decor.
    • Comfort Double Room

The carpets in the hall were stained. Not the biggest deal but for the money it would be nice if it was cleaner. The walls are also a bit thin so you can hear your neighbour of you are a light sleeper. Overall I really enjoyed our stay.

The hotel room didn't have the typical hotel room decor. It was styled with pretty paintings, stucco on the ceiling, and antique armoires. It had an old European vibe to it that I loved. The paintings of the baby angels above the bed weren't the most romantic though.

The receptionist during the night time is really friendly.
    • Family Room (3 Adults)

The reception was not open even after 7:00 although the hotel description says it is open for 24 hours. The female receptionist was cold, unfriendly and impolite.

The receptionist during the night time is really friendly. He made the start of our stay very nice. The bathroom and room were always kept very clean and neat every day.

Visiting friends, and seeing Hamburg again,my fourth visit, and a nice Hotel room to relax in.
    • Standard Single Room

The only thing missing for me was a room safe. It's nice to have somewhere to leave my passport and valuables that I didn't want to carry with me all the time.

My single room was very spacious compared with many I have been in and was very light and pleasant to be in. The staff are very helpful and friendly and took an interest in what I was seeing and doing during my visit to Hamburg. The location was perfect for the places I wanted to visit close by. For places further away, the Damtor Rail Station was a very short walk away and the local U Bahn at HalleSrasse also in easy walking distance.I would not hesitate to stay here again next time I am in Hamburg.

Decent inner-city hotel

- Street parking is not only hard to find but also a complete mess. We happily decided on a parking garage near the Messe Hamburg. It was quite a walk away but much less stressful than street parking! - The bathroom was tiny, but everything you need is in it. There was a problem with the shower-head which simply did not stay in place though. Also the filter of the air vent looked like it would need urgent changing. - The bed didn't feel too comfy to me, but maybe I just had a bad night. It happens. - The elevator is very old and tiny. We decided to use the stairs.

+ Bathroom came equipped with an infrared-heating lamp. Not sure why it's needed, and unfortunately no instruction was included. Sometimes it just turned on together with the bathroom light. Just because I never saw one in a hotel I will book this as a plus-point. + Best hair-dryer I ever saw in a hotel, with interchangeable front-pieces! + Very good inner-city location. We had dinner at a very cute little Italian place just a side-street away from the hotel. + For an inner-city location the room was rather quiet. + Good and friendly reception staff. + Rather decent hotel with a good price for the inner city of Hamburg. Neutral: - We didn't book the breakfast due to bad reviews here, so nothing can be said about it. In the morning when checking out we saw people having breakfast, that's all. - The hotel is rather small and only occupies one floor in a house with quite many hotels, some floors even had two hotels. - The room was not bad, but unfortunately none of the nicer ones of the photos in the category we booked in.

Good location but current lack of working lift might be problem for some
    • Comfort Double Room

No working lift is a problem as hotel is on second floor. Would be unsuitable for anyone who has mobility problem. We were told it was not certain when lift could be repaired as it was very old.

Interesting old building. Fairly close to railway station. Reasonable priced cafe at bottom of building, So can get breakfast at the cafe rather than pay excessive additional 10euro charge for having breakfast in hotel.

Good enough for one night
    • Economy Single Room With Shared Toilet

No elevator, wasn't told I would have to go up and down 3 floors of stairs. Didn't know I had to leave the room to use a bath/shower down the hall. No a/c. The picture of the hotel is indeed NOT a picture of the hotel, it's actually a picture of 4-5 hotels, one on each floor; I've never heard of such a thing. If you get it cheap and you only need a bed for overnight, it's at least walking distance from the train station.

Nice people working the desk

Nice quiet hotel in quiet district, walking distance from city centre
    • Comfort Double Room

The pillows where really thin. So we asked for an extra one which we got. The bathroom was really smal. No minifridge and no Safety Deposit Box. A bit pricy but I think all hotels where a bit expensive in Hamburg

Beautiful room. Quiet. The hotel was in a old building and so was the furniture in the room which gave it a lot off character. We asked for two single beds and got a room with two rooms. So we had one double bed and a single Very good matras. In a quiet area, walking distance from a lot of restaurants and close to the city centre

Lovely Hotel Close to Transportation and all the Good Sights.
    • Economy Single Room With Shared Toilet

The only limitation I had was that it was very warm in the hotel and there is no air conditioning. I would have also felt better with a secure internet connection.

Great old furniture and super helpful staff. I got a wonderful recommendation and directions to a seafood restaurant that totally paid off. The atmosphere of the hotel was classy but not overbearing and I felt very comfortable there. I paid an additional ten euros for breakfast which was adequate but not awe inspiring. However the convenience and unlimited coffee can't be beaten.

It's ok to charge 500 euro but I would expect A honest review and quality

Please dont recommend this hotel because I give you some information about this hotel. I am not rude or demanding I want to pay for what is best and the quality. The bed not comfortable at all two bed combined into one seriously they called it as queen... Bath 🛀 after shower doesn't drain the water The hair dryer broken breakfast please go to city centre much better options and variety.

Overpriced
    • Family Room (3 Adults)

It was overpriced and we were lucky to find parking. Parking is simply street parking outside and many people weren't able to get spaces. In addition, despite telling them ahead of time about dietary restrictions at breakfast, they told us that we should have told them ahead of time...? Overall, I wouldn't stay here again.

High ceilings, plenty of windows, good location

3.5
    Hungry Hotel Amsterdam
    • Comfort Double Room

The lady who looks to be the manager at the reception had hungry eyes. She didnt return any percent of the Money i had paid for my second room book for my staff who couldnt get the visa on time although there was a queue for empty rooms. Besides, she booked the total amount 2 times from my credit card and asked me to pay for the 3rd time the whole amount while i was checking out and still she didnt cancel those bookings and my credit card has been blocked for weeks. Although the location is good, i do not want to promote those kind of people. I had to warn you that booking.com is not supporting us in these kind of situations.

Location was very good

Very simple, slightly expensive room that is in a great location.
    • Economy Double Room

The room was a bit small, the bed was a little average (compared with a lot of others on our trip), it costed noticeably more than the other accommodation we had in Hamburg (in a similarly close location) and the breakfast was also quite average compared with others we have had in Germany. Plus it costed €10 each, whereas a lot of others are included in Germany or tend to average about €7.50 p/p.

Simple room that was very close to Dammtor Station with free parking on the street (we were lucky enough to get a spot).

The toilet was outside the room and as a female traveler...

No toilet in the room

The toilet was outside the room and as a female traveler alone it's not suitable and on the booking it was NOT stated clear enough For the price offer to this it was vary poorly

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

No drinking water and only one very very soft pillow.

No drinking water and only one very very soft pillow.The double bed was not actually a double bed but 2 single beds put together that it makes sleeping uncomfortable. No service after 10 pm and above all the Hotel was difficult to find initailly as the same building is share with 5 other hotels. The name only appear at the door step that it took me an hour walking around to fing the place in a cold weather.

Hamburg Easter Weekend
    • Standard Single Room

Nothing the hotel can do about this; but if you have a buggy/pram, you have to carry it up steps into the hotel building, then again up to the lift. It's probably only 10 steps, but it is awkward. Also, you might have rooms on different floors, so if you are booking multiple rooms, check directly with the hotel if you want to be on same floor.

The location was very good, the staff were helpful

• Reviewed: 6 January 2017

The rooms were extremely utilitarian and suited my purposes...
    • Economy Single Room With Shared Toilet

The rooms were extremely utilitarian and suited my purposes for one night perfectly. The location was right next to the University of Hamburg and the conference centre and a quick walk down to the Christmas Markets. Located across from a train station so simple to travel from the airport and back

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

Excellent stay in Hamburg
    • Economy Double Room with Shared Toilet

It was extremely easy to get to - right next to Dammtor train station and the conference centre. The U was also close by so easy access to anywhere in the city The staff were very knowledgeable and friendly. Free wifi was very dependable Perfect for my quick business stop

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

Nice but wouldn't seek out again.

The rooms were all vastly different - some good, others not so good. And the layout was confusing. The hotel is inside a building that apparently houses multiple hotels, so it took a long time to actually find the check in counter and make it to the rooms.

The staff was incredible. Breakfast was nice and refreshing that it wasn't self service like everywhere else I've stayed in Germany. The location was perfect - a quick walk to downtown but also to some fun and hip outlying neighborhoods. It is near the university so there is a pulsing energy about the place.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

Find another alternative
    • Family Room (3 Adults)

The building showing on the pictures is not totally owned by the hotel. Only some of the floors were operated by them. Dirty rooms, spider webs, very old building, historical furnitures, no reception and personnel

As a visitor for Max-Plankt, the location was great. But this is the all.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2016

For a short stay, this is a fine hotel.
    • Economy Single Room With Shared Toilet

The bed was large enough, but the matras was not very comfortable.

Nice atmosphere in the hotel. I had a small room with a bed for one person. My private bathroom was across the hall way (and not part of my bedroom), but that was not very problematic for me.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

The location is perfect, walking distance from Alster and...
    • Economy Single Room With Shared Toilet

The location is perfect, walking distance from Alster and 15min walk from the city centre. Free parking slots in front of the house. The rooms are nicely styled.

• Reviewed: 6 August 2016

Locationwise perfect!

Poor breakfast 9 euro pp for this budget you have much more ar the bakery at the corner.

Locationwise perfect! Nice restaurants and cinema around the corner. Good bakery for a good breakfast just underneath the hotel.

A comfortable place to stay at the right location....
    • Standard Single Room

Location and all needed for a biz traveller was needed...

Clean 3 star property.. If summer and sever hot don't stay there as no AC's..

Excellent location

Excellent location

Good one, value for money
    • Family Room (3 Adults)

Break fast could be a bit more better

the location was the best fit for my purpose :)

I loved the location

Didnt really know where to park untill i asked the staff

I loved the location

nice, clean hotel but the pillows were horrible.

pillows, bed

nice, clean hotel but the pillows were horrible.

Loved it!

Very tiny bathroom

That the room was big and uniqely furnished. Leopard couch!

English speaking receptionist took her time to help us plan...

Toilet was separate

English speaking receptionist took her time to help us plan our day and gave an excellent recommendation for food

Only stayed one night but I would happily use this hotel again.
    • Standard Single Room

Happy with everything, thank you.

Very helpful and friendly staff, especially the night porter who booked me in at the end of a long and tiring day.

No options of alkaline food

No options of alkaline food

Very clean

It was cold

Very clean

Spacious rooms
    • Family Room (3 Adults)

No watercoocker or small fridge in the room

Spacious rooms

Bakery downstairs

Bakery downstairs

Bathroom and Toilet

Bathroom and Toilet

Good location in the university area (central)

Wi-Fi was very bad

Good location in the university area (central)

Nothing fancy, but convenient for a short stay
    • Family Room (3 Adults)

The bathroom was essentially just a cabin inside an otherwise nice and spacious room.

Conveniently located close to the old part of Hamburg.

Located in a pretty street with easy parking in front of the...
    • Family Room (3 Adults)

The pillows weren't much.

Located in a pretty street with easy parking in front of the hotel. Spacious room. Very clean.

Expensive.
    • Economy Single Room With Shared Toilet

Pretty expensive for a room with a shared toilet. Also the plumbing was loud.

Great location next to the university.

A lovely stay in a great location

The shared toilet

The staff were really friendly & the breakfast fantastic

Shared toilets, noisy, bathrobe only available upon request

Shared toilets, noisy, bathrobe only available upon request

Na

All

Nice building and location

Lift not working.

Nice building and location

Pleasant stay; quality/price relation could be much better
    • Economy Single Room With Shared Toilet

There's no option to flag that you don't want to be disturbed by the cleaning staff when in the room

localization
    • Economy Single Room With Shared Toilet

I recommend to use WPA2 protection in hotel's wifi network.

localization

I booked the room with a king size bed, but got two single...

I booked the room with a king size bed, but got two single beds next to each other instead.

confort

confort

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

Perfect stay for a short trip
    • Economy Double Room with Shared Toilet

The room we had was separate from the other rooms, which made it more private. Didn't hear the other people in other rooms from our room.

Cozy and comfortable, outside the city rush in a pretty neighborhood.
    • Economy Single Room With Shared Toilet

Quaint little property, easy to get around. Would stay there again.

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

nice place for a weekend

The bathroom is very small.

Nice cozy room with a beautiful view.

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

• Standard Single Room

There was no safe or fridge.

The location was excellent and the staff was very helpful.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

It was alright for the price it charged.
    • Family Room (3 Adults)

It was alright for the price it charged. We chose here because it is close to the staatsoper. Room is very basic although clean.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

No coffee tea facilities in the room

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

Simple facilities, all you need
    • Economy Double Room with Shared Toilet

WiFi did not work, bathroom is shared

Simple facilities, all you need

Simple and nice
    • Economy Double Room with Shared Toilet

Bett war zu weiche Too expensive for such a small simple room

Simple and nice

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

Small clean hotel in good location, 5 minutes walk from station

Room very small, lack of facilities. Reception closed at 22:00 until 08:00. No breakfast before 8:30

Clean, comfy bed. Good location