Reviews of Centro Hotel Ariane This is the official star rating given to the property by an independent third party - the Hotelstars Union. The property is compared to the industry standard and scored based on price, facilities and services offered. Use the star rating to help choose your stay!

Hohe Pforte 19 - 21, Altstadt-Sued, 50676 Cologne, Germany

#179 of 223 hotels in Cologne

6.2

5.7

The stay was convenient from Business perspective but after a tired day, some facilities were missin

The room should have a mini refrigerator, hot water kettle ( which was provided on request) ;

The room may please be provided with air-conditioner which can be used when necessary; the rooms are stuffy and need more ventilation.

Very good value hotel suitable for short stay.

It was a bit dated and the internet had an inconvenient login page in German.

Very good value hotel suitable for short stay. I was staying the night before an exam in Cologne and it was fine for one night. I imagine that salesmen or solo travelers might find it convenient. It is basic but clean. The breakfast was great.

Well located hotel

No phone in room(although advertised), requested fan as it was poorly ventilated & a hot day

Location, room reasonable but smallish, attached bathroom, decent breakfast(optional extra)

Hotel near Dom

This is worst !!!!!!!!!!! I was reserve double room for 2 nights from Booking.com for over 3 month and I already paid with my credit card. When the day I was check in , the reception gave me the under-roof room for us on the sixth floor !!!! . The elevator have just for fourth floor and I have 2 big luggage. So I ask them for another room and they said the room is all full tonight. I have to carry on my heavy luggage walk up to the narrow stair to sixth floor. When I open into the room, that was so dissappoint. It’s very small , low ceiling , the light is dark , very small bathroom and just have 1 tiny window. So I checked on website Booking.com for change the room tonight , in website they still have double room left for tonight!!! . I went down to reception again to asking for change the room and they said is full. Then I show them on Booking App that have the double room left from website and they said just only 1 room left , that a triple room if you want to change. I already book your hotel for a long time and I paid because I make sure that however I will be there , so why you gave me the worth room under the roof to us and just said the room is full and when I want to change , it’s just become only triple room left for us. Why you don’ t prepare the room that better than under-roof room for us. Or because we already paid and we can’t change anything?

Hotel near Dom

Good value for money.

1. WiFi was not working so had to buy more data on my mobile. 2. The windows were not sound proof so I could hear people talking in the street at night but fortunately, the hotel was a bit distant from the main street so this didn't happen all the time. 3. The light could get through the curtains so it was more lit up in the morning then it should've been (with the curtains down).

Cleanliness Location Room was well equipped Breakfast included

Hotel was fine, and I have stayed there before. But no WiFi.

Booking said "Free WiFi in all areas" but when I arrived I was informed that the WifI was not working due to a contract issue between the Hotel and the Telecom providor. I was told that if I wanted WiFi that I should go and purchase a prepaid SIM Card - which I did at a cost of EUR20. I had already paid for my room prior to arrival and I feel that I should be repaid that EUR20. As it was known prior to my arrival that the WiFi was not working, I should have been informed prior and given the option to cancel the booking or given a discount on the rate that I had paid. I did NOT receive any advice. Many other customers who were there at the same time had the same issue. Even as this review is written, the site says "Free Wifi" - that should be removed as it is misleadimg.

Good Location but low value for money

The TV wasn't working (girl from reception tried to change the remote controller/batteries but still didn't work), we booked twin beds but still received double , unprofessional staff at reception (ex: reccomended the Hop On Hop Off Bus 1 Km further even though there was a station on hotel's street at 100 m distance), very small rooms bathroom and narrow beds with no minibar, no coffee/tea maker ,no shampoo/douche gel only liquid soap, low value for money

Good breakfast with fresh fruits and different types of cheese; Location walking distance from the Cathedral , 2 REWE supermarkets very close, commercial street nearby

Friendly quiet hotel with good breakfast with good location

Stayed here for 8 nights during Easter. It's 10 mins walk to the main train station and cathedral. Quiet street and very quiet hotel, could even hear birds in the morning. Breakfast was very good with lots of food - fruit, yoghurt, cereal bread/toast, meats and cheese, eggs and salad, tea coffee and hot chocolate. Friendly staff, easy and quick checkin/checkout. The room was comfortable and very clean, and cleaned every day. Only slight minor issue was no internet (hence slightly lower score for facilities). There's an internet cafe across the street, also a supermarket 2 mins walk. I was very happy here and would return again.

Euro 516 & full paid & amount deducted 100% in advance from my credit card.

I did my hotel booking through booking.com for last 15 years. I found, this is the worst place I lived. Booking.com should not list with good rating for these hotels. One receptionist lady was on duty on 27th & 30th March was repeatedly answering to my troubled question as "IT IS YOUR PROBLEM". She also said, "I am the boss, I donot care about your problems". I was not even given triple room during my stay. I slept all through 5 nights in Sofa.

NOTHING

Good value for money

WiFi didn't work. They didn't accept payment via Booking and with credit cards, so I had to pay with cash. Bathroom in a single room is very small. View from the window - the only thing I could see was windows in a couple of meters in the near building.

Good location, comfortable bed, good breakfast, vending machine with drinks inside the hotel, price.

1.Elevator only to 4th floor(my room on 6th floor). 2. I found someones sock under my bed. 3. Very small room and bathroom 4. No wifi on 6th floor room nr 61

Just fine

The breakfast is poor, just yogurt, cheese, ham and musly. WiFi is not good, working normally only near reception, in the room doesn’t work at all

The hotel is just fine. We had our room on the 5th floor: to get to the 4th floor you may use an elevator, but futher there is only stairs. The room was quite cozy and worm

Very nice place!

There was no Wi-Fi during first day of my stay.. but later was ok. Just a bit weak)

Really nice hotel in the middle of shopping streets. Everything is close around!

The room was comfortable

There was no internet connection. Even one second! We've prefered this hotel because we needed internet. But they said that there is problem about the internet after checkin.

The room was comfortable

Great place to stay

Amazing place, just a short walk from the train station and the city center. The room was clean, well stocked, and comfortable; the breakfast was delicious; and the staff were always extremely helpful. Definitely would stay here again!

Great location - it tooks nearby 15 minutes to walk to the...

The Wi Fi hadn’t worked for 2 days - and then the stuff managed to solve the problem. Because of that I had problems with checking my mail due to business issues. However, the stuff suffered from that too- so I don’t blame them.

Great location - it tooks nearby 15 minutes to walk to the main rail station or the Cologne Cathedral. You may find a large shopping avenue on this route. Cousy and clean room. Average, but good breakfast - just like a standard one for Europe.

Location was top notch, comfortable room, well heated.

Breakfast was not so good, I actually regret paying requesting breakfast when I booked as there are a lot fantastic breakfast options around the hotel. No black out curtains!!!

Location was top notch, comfortable room, well heated.

The hotel really fall against our expectations,the room was really small and we had booked a double bed and there was two single beds together and was also very uncomfortable.

Good location budget hotel

The hotel has non smoking policy. however we smelled the cigarettes. The bed was too soft and no warm floor covering eg Rugs.

The location and breakfast are very good. Clean and tidy in breakfast room. we can leave our cases and spend all afternoon explore the city.

Fantastic Location.

The bed was quite low and hard so not very comfortable. Would be nice to have some variation in the breakfast. But for the price it was fantastic :)

Fantastic Location. Easy to get to and central to everything. Staff friendly and helpful. Very clean. Lovely breakfast, scrambled eggs were the best!

good staff, excellent location, convenient transportation, close to all places within walk

Breakfast should be improved, why is there no coffee machine? The coffee in the pot is not tasty at all, I think it is possible to have a coffee machine with different flavors, so it will improve the service Excellent bread fresh and tasty The room is very small, barely moving, Pillows are not comfortable,

Excellent location, welcoming staff, smiling, , helping with any problem

Surly staff

Surly staff. Arrived at 13:30, was told check-in was at 14:00 & was not allowed to check-in just 30 minutes early & had to wait in reception. WiFi code had to be renewed after 24 hours??!? Average breakfast. TV didn’t work, didn’t bother asking reception staff about after previous dealings. Overpriced.

Not much.

A reasonably priced basic hotel in a great location.

The bed wasn't very comfy. Basic breakfast with not a lot of choice. Fine if only staying one night, but after a few days it would have been nice to have something different to choose. The wifi code only lasts 24 hours so you have to get a new one each day and go through the process of signing in each time. Again fine if you are only staying one night but after several it got annoying.

I liked staying at this hotel. It is in a really great location, only 10 minutes walk to the markets/Cathedral and 20 minutes walk to the train station (for the train to the airport), and it is near decent transport links if you don't want to walk. I found it to be reasonably priced and I had a decent sized room with a good bathroom, also decent sized with a great shower. The staff were friendly and helpful, and between them spoke several languages (for those of us that don't speak German).

Very enjoyable in Koln, Xmas market great.

Place could do with an update, no plug in one sink and plug in the other sink didn’t work properly. Wi-fi kept dropping out. We stayed before a couple of years ago and the car park was free. This time we had to park elsewhere which they advised and it cost 45 euros for three days. If we had known this in advance we could have stayed at a better hotel that had a free car park.

Location,

Great location, friendly staff

Pillow & bedlinen were like what you would see in a youth-hostel. The duvet was very thin and the pillow (only one was in the room) was extremely thin and didn't function as a pillow (however I had an airline pillow which I was able to use instead)

Great location, friendly staff

They told all guests that they had free wifi, also to guests...

They told all guests that they had free wifi, also to guests checking in at floor 4-5 where I knew it did not work. I told them and they did not care.

we won't stay there again

The breakfast was so poor. They only had boiled eggs. (no omelete, no baycon). The heatting of the room was poor, in fact it was cold at night and the room was full of dust. We stay for the whole week and they never remove the dust on top of the firniture or picked up the cups of the coffe. It was so expensive for the quallity.

it was in great spot near the central station of koln, 5-10 min walk

City stop.

Hotel staff were unable to provide me with an iron and ironing board, and there was no laundry service. I noticed a day later that one of the guests was given a new iron and ironing board, so maybe my query prompted a response.

It's pretty central, and a nice walk from the station and Cathedral along one of the main shopping thoroughfares

Value for money was good if you are on a budget.

The bed. pillow was terrible. Could not sit up in bed because there was a lip in the wall digging into your back & the pillow did not help at all.

Good central location, breakfast included was decent, facilities were very clean.

Nice staff, centric location, dated facilities

The room felt old in a bad way. It showed its ages of use. It was kind of dirty, fungus were all over the shower doors. This hotel needs a renovation asap.

Very nice and helpful staff. Decent breakfast with lots of veg options. Very centric location, within walking distance of all major attractions.

Great location. Standard hotel.

Breakfast did not include many choices. Not bakery or sweet options. Bathroom was quite small. WiFi required a specific password for each device instead of having a free access.

Location. Great area to visit places and find restaurants and shops. Bed was comfortable.

Staff was friendly .

My room was on 5th floor Which has no lift, I had to use lift to go to the 4th floor, then take stair to the 5th floor. The noise from corridor wad also annoying.

Staff was friendly . Breakfast was good

Good, clean, quiet accomodation. Close to all the sites but far enough away to be untroubled by nois

The beds were very comfortable, the rooms clean, the location quiet but convenient and the breakfast excellent. Very good value for money and thoroughly recommendable.

I had a single room, it was too small.

I had a single room, it was too small. The view from the window was on another part of hotel with stairs. There isn't a lift in the hotel, I had my room on the 3d floor, it was a bit hard to go upstairs with baggage. But location of this hotel is very convenient. The way to HBF took me around 10 min on foot

If you just want some where to sleep, it's perfect.

Breakfast could be better, they run out of food very quickly. It didn't really bother me but I could imagine a lot of people getting annoyed about it.

The first night we had a room at the front of the hotel, as this hotel is on a Main Street, it is VERY noisy, the next day we moved to the back of the hotel which was MUCH better.

It was very hot in Cologne but it was impossible to leave...

It was very hot in Cologne but it was impossible to leave the window as the was a fire escape right outside. It was a very stuffy and uncomfortable night.

Basic hotel which is expensive

We got a room on the last floor Under the roof I was super hot inside The room and bathroom was small and not that clean !

Location was centrale Not far from bars Restaurants and shops

One of the front office staff was very helpful.

Smelly room, awfully breakfast. We ran out the breakfast.

One of the front office staff was very helpful. She help us when we need some ice cubes to stop my kid's nose bleeding and gave information of the doctor practice around the hotel nicely.

Great hotel

They didn't check/ask for my name when I came back at night to get my key in the reseption, that is for me not so safe.

Hotel with great location. Nice room, with a very nice and soft bed. Great staff working there.

Too many minuses for a recommendation

Parking was in a different building. I couldn't access the internet and nobody was able to help. This was a major problem for me since I had all my visiting details in a Google map on my PC. The shower head had a big leak in it and spewed water all over. Thew room was small and the be squeaked.

Location and breakfast

The worst WIFI experience

Even though I asked the room with good internet in advance, the connection was terrible. I changed room and floor, but nothing changed. They give 1000 Mb password for WiFi, but you can't use it due to extremely slow connection. Rest was fine.

Excellent location, fine breakfasts. Room 28 on 2nd floor was quite good and comfortable but room on 3rd floor (don't remember number) was very small.

Horrible!

I reserved parking on booking.com, got also a confirmation for it, but at the hotel they didn't have the spot. I also reserved a double room, got a twin, asked for my double room. They didn't have it so they offered a triple room. Fair enough. But the other day they asked us to move to another room, with the reason that the lady who offered this room was new and didn't know what rooms to offer.

Disappointment

i booked because of the nice reviews and because in the pictures the room looked nice, cozy and clean, same with the bathroom but in reality you don't receive what you pay for... the bathroom was not well maintained and gave an impression of unclean. Some things in the room were broken. For one of the mornings we had to wait a lot for breakfast because everything was out and there was not enough space for all the guests so people were waiting like 20 minutes for a table. And regarding the internet not the best signal.

the location is the only great thing about it...close to city center the staff was friendly

Nothing to say :)

Very nice staff and great location, 10 min walk from the central station. The room was clean and cozy; great for one person, as was my case. I truly recommend Hotel Ariane.

Good, clean, fair facililities for a short stay in Germany.

TV didn't work in my room but I didn't use it anyway. I had feather pillows which I am allergic to so didn't use them and they didn't have other ones.

The hotel was close enough to the town centre and river to walk - 5-10 minutes to the Cathedral and down to The Rhine. Breakfast was included - continental buffet each morning and a wifi code each day was given to you. Room was fine - just enough for a solo traveller. Staff were very helpful.

it is good location.

we booked a parking place, but they inform us that do not receive our request. So, we only get the parking place next day. we asking for an additional pillow and blanket, but only give us a pillow. the internet is extremely slow, actually it is not work.

it is good location.

I should have gone to the Novotel Hotel!

If you're a family of 4, I highly suggest you stay away from booking this hotel. They say the room accommodates 3 adults and 1 or 2 small children, but I'm not sure how! There were only 3 single beds in our room, and not much room for anything else. They also don't offer additional beds or baby cots. This hotel does not offer air conditioning, so this is definitely not a good summer stay. We requested a fan in the room, but that request was not fulfilled. You would think @ €160 per night, they would be able to afford a €10 fan for every room! The breakfast was not the greatest. The only hot items were eggs. Either hard boiled or scrambled. Even then, I found the eggs cold. The elevator was really difficult to use. It was small and the doors are manual. Not ideal if you have a child with a stroller. Hallways are narrow, so it's difficult to navigate through without bumping into things. WIFI was a joke. Don't even bother with it. But if you do, I hope you have better luck than I did.

The only really good thing about this hotel is that it's walking distance to the Shopping centres, and about a 15 minutes walk from Central Station and Dom Cathedral.

The place is good, the price is reasonable and it includes a...

The room was not all clean (dusty fan) and seems also a bit aged. Some small renovation work could help to refresh them a bit. Some staff is welcoming and friendly but some other times we felt uncomfortable, I guess this may just be a personal feeling but I enjoy much more seeing smiling staff around me.

The place is good, the price is reasonable and it includes a very nice and enjoyable breakfast buffet. Location is also good as it is just a short walking distance to the cathedral and other tourist attractions. Room is also reasonably comfortable and clean with all what is needed to enjoy our stay in Köln.

Close to heart of the city but very quiet.

Wi-Fi is limited. You get code to login 1000MB for 24h used it for talking through Skype and playing music because there are no music programs on tv and only other than German was BBC News Channel (bad quality of picture on all channels) I had to go 3times to reception and ask for new login. Doors at the corridors are very difficult to open and close very loudly. There is no kettle to do yourself coffee or tea

It is very close to shopping area but the same time Rooms are very quiet. Nice and very helpful staff.

The hotel is placed in a good location.

I visited Koln during summer. The room does not have AC, only a ventilator which was not enough for a good sleep in the night. The breakfast was really poor, I do not recommand it. For internet the personal offers you a username/pass and you can use them on a single device and just until you reset the device; I had to request a new account every day.

The hotel is placed in a good location. Personal was nice.

Great value for money

The hotel is well localized in cologne. It is adjacent to the old town, two minutes on foot from the famous shopping street "Hohe Street" and 7 min from the main station. Rooms are small but comfortable and clean. Breakfast is decent.

The staff were very friendly.

The only thing that could have been a little better is, it could have been a little closer to the main station however it is still easily walking distance...

The staff were very friendly. Great breakfast

A very good hotel at the centre of City

Room is not so big, but its not a very big problem.

Very friendly personal Cleanest room Good breakfast Hotel is located not far from Central station. Maximum 10-12 minutes not fast walking Vending-machine with champagne, vine and beer.

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

Convenient hotel recommended

The hotel was a 10-15 minute flat and easy walk from the train station and cathedral. Reception staff friendly and helpful. Breakfast good, plenty of choice and good coffee! Bathroom and room good - would have liked to have had access to tea and coffee in the hotel but that's because we're English I suppose - the bottle of water was welcome.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

HORRIBLE ROOM !!!

Room was hot all day and night .NO AIR CONDITIONER! Was told to open window, did not help only bugs (NO WIDOW SCREEN) and noice came in. Original room was on the 5th floor elevator only went up to the 4th floor. Had to negotiate a very steep stair case.Did not like the threat that if we left we would loose 90% of our rental fee. (HAVE MULTIPLE PICTURES OF THE ROOMS and BUGS!).

The staff tried to help. Gave us a fan they used to help cool the room. DID NOT HELP !

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

Disappointed!!

The bedding is not good and the room is so small. And we disappointed with the elevetor since we got the room on 5th floor, but the elevetor is ended at the 4th floor, so we had to carry our luggage up the stairs from 4th floor to 5th floor.

The hotel is close to the shopping street and the Cologne Cathedral

Just ok

Basic room with separate duvets on one double bed Bathroom tiny Poor value for money as paid £330 ish for 4 nights If I paid 200 I d be very pleased with the room but for the price I paid -dissatisfied

Staff were friendly and helpful Good location

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

- Location close to city center

- WiFi in the room is not always working very well, but in the general lobby of the hotel it works fine

- Location close to city center - Very good price-quality relation - Good breakfast - Clean room and good service

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

Nice stay

The wifi had limits so it kept running out and I had to keep asking reception for a new code. 4 times in 6 hours.

It was exactly what I needed for one night. Comfy room and good location to the main area cologne.

• Reviewed: 3 February 2017

Very close to the center and city transport.

The wifi was very very bad! Hotel was noisy even that my room was looking to the inner backyard of building complex.

Very close to the center and city transport.

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

The parking was not convinient. We had specifically asked for double beds when we booked the rooms, but they never informed us that there weren't any available ones and even if they made our stay uncomfortable, they didn't do anything about it! Moreover, the hotel and the rooms were very old. The bathroom was dusty, not clean. The elevator was too small and old. Very expensive for what it is

The hotel was close to the city center

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

close to shopping area, 10+ min to train station and...

complicated wifi system with registrations/hyperlinks and printed passwords; shady neighborhood

close to shopping area, 10+ min to train station and cathedral, very basic flat single bed and basic breakfast - nothing fancy

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

Location was good and not a far walking distance to the...

Rooms are small and not a comfortable bed. Breakfast very limited and not enough tables for the guests.

Location was good and not a far walking distance to the shopping or Dom.

• Reviewed: 24 December 2016

Good location in downtown Cologne

Poor WIFI....couldn't get connected.

Great location, within walking distance to most of the sites to visit. Good sized rooms for a family. Good breakfast.

• Reviewed: 24 December 2016

If you need a central location

bed creaked and all the fire doors slammed shut as you passed them, so disturbing sleeping guests. breakfast was not worth getting up for.

location was good.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

Good hotel within a great Location.

The only thing I would comment on is that they have no sweets available during breakfast.

The hotel is in a great location. The rooms are of a good size (Bathroom small) but very good. Heating in the room was excellent. Great value for money. I was a bit worried when I booked and started reading the comments but it's a good hotel. I would not pay for the Breakfast again as nice coffee shops in the surroundings.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

Very nice hotel

Nothing. Possibly better WiFi but that's being very picky. Overall a very nice hotel and one I would definitely book aain.

Great location and very friendly and helpful staff

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

Central but poor…

- Smaller Rooms than shown… Rooms in the photos might exist but it is not likely what you'll get; single rooms can hardly fit in more than the bed, there is no space for a desk and armchair, and wardrobe is just primitive. - Bathroom: some bathrooms are really small. - Shower: too small even for one person. - WIFI: it does NOT work. Period. (Every customer is offered different wifi user codes and passwords for their devices, but then you cannot log in... not even with one of them, not even in the reception area!!)

+ Location: Centrally located in the Heumarkt area, close to restaurants, shops, bars, the river Rhein, 10 min walk from Cathedral and historical town, etc. + Breakfast: it is OK, but very basic, nothing extraordinary.

• Reviewed: 24 November 2016

Great Value and Great Location

The size of the rooms (quite small), and the wifi was 1) pretty inconvenient to access in the first and 2) was spotty from the room.

The location is terrific, just a mile from the Kbf (central train station). The staff were quite helpful. The rooms are small, but the bed was incredibly comfortable.

• Reviewed: 15 November 2016

Room was a little old but it was 2°Christmas in Cologne.

Central location. Clean and spacious rooms. Friendly and helpful staff. Luggage storage. Very good breakfast.

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

OK

- During my visit was a problem with Internet - i could not connect with wifi. A receptionist informed me about this issue but why nobody informed me earlier? The connection with Internet is very important for me and it was a big minus of my room! - Problem with radiator - my room was on the last floor and it was cold. The radiator didn`t work properly

- breakfast very good, teasty - very good location! Near the center and nice bars and clubs (gay area)

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

A never again visitor

The rooms are too small, dirty the TV does not work. it felt like a jail cell. If you are clostophobic do not book here. For the price I epected more. 3 stars??????????? really????

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

Unprofessional and horrible

Without warning, they suddenly packed my stuff and moved everything to a different room. I've NEVER experienced anything like this. Horrible!

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

well located, simple hotel.

Small and cramped room, not much thought spend on comfort or practicability. Breakfast rather simple and price over all ito high, but average for Cologne.

Near the central station and a shopping area, easy to reach. Friendly staff..

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

Just a short walk from the city center but already in a calm...

The hotel isn't prepaired for temperatures over 30º C during the day and around 23º C during the night! It was dificult to sleep or even stay in the room!

Just a short walk from the city center but already in a calm area of the city

Browse Centro Hotel Ariane traveller photo gallery