Reviews of Riverside City Hotel This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services offered. It is based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

Friedrichstraße 106, Mitte, 10117 Berlin, Germany

#468 of 579 hotels in Berlin

6.2

6.1

In general, it was nice staying and perfect location, I can recommend this hotel
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

My room didn't have a bathroom/toilet, so I obtained a key for an individual bad but still it was not very convenient. The breakfast in Italian cafe was tasty but not very quick, which was a bit problematic since we usually were in a hurry in the mornings. The hotel price was rather high

The staff is very friendly, especially I'd like to thank Juliane for her amicability and goodwill. The hotel has perfect location in the city centre and near metro and S-bahn station. The rooms are in retro-style, which looks pleasant. My room had a wonderful view on the river.

Our review at the Riverside City Hotel

The door of the bathroom did not close properly. We had to put the small bin behind it for it to 'close'. This needs to be fixed. Also the big blanket across our beds had a nice colour but the quality of it was not great. We did not use it but it was not nice to the touch at all and bits of it came off. (I am not saying it should me made 100% of wool but at least 50%).

The room was clean and the beds very comfortable. The only problem is that the bathroom did not close properly. We had to put the small bin behind it for it to 'close'. This needs to be fixed.

For a one night stand

The hotel rooms are just on one floor in the building so you need to have your key ready all the time to open the stairway doors. The stairway and corridors are really long and dark so it takes time to get used to where your room is. There’s no air conditioning but the fan at the table was enough to cool the room so we could get a good night sleep. No refrigerator in the room.

Since there were no parking spaces available onsite we were offered to park our car in a multistory parking lot at a location nearby for 10 EUR. It’s a walking distance from the hotel but might not be a good choice for someone traveling with a bigger baggage. The room was clean with a comfortable bed and a spacious bathroom (with both bathtub and shower). The standards are really basic and the interior decor remembers the early 90s. The location is great and is a walking distance from many of the historical sites. The staff was really friendly. You can get a good breakfast and a decent coffee in the Italofritzen restaurant.

Great location, comfortable and clean hotel

The wifi signal wasn't great, from the room but could manage from the restaurant.

The location, comfort of the room and value for money is great. I'd definitely come back.

I did not feel safe when I was staying the hotel and I...
    • Standard Queen Room

I did not feel safe when I was staying the hotel and I changed and booked another hotels instead. I got only one key and they told me to use it for front foor, second door and my room door, I did not think that safe.

Wish I had been able to stay longer!
    • Standard Single Room

Prime location, helpful staff and great breakfast. Currently undergoing renovations but not likely to be an issue unless you plan to celebrate late and sleep in. Highly recommend the Neus museum; only a short stroll along the river.

The Website gives the impression of a big hotel and says nothing about the construction phase!

Please avoid, it is a CONSTRUCTION SITE, an old worn-down hotel being renovated (not actually a hotel, just one floor in a big building), mostly covered by blue plastic - blinding the windows - with early energetic building-workers and building noise.

Good location.

Perfectly located and the bed wasn't bad.

The hotel was under reconstruction, which had not been indicated at all before. It was very noisy indeed.

Perfectly located and the bed wasn't bad.

Miserable
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

The bed was horrible. External bathroom is a very, very bad idea. Veri old and used furnitures, the hotel is all under construction and noise from the workers all all the day.

We should have been notified major renovation works were going on at the hotel

Major renovations were happening so the hotel was not what we were promised. Reception was manned infrequently which meant that when we were leaving Berlin and needed to collect our bags, we had to wait 15 mins for someone to open the door to us. It made us a little late for our flight

Construction Zone, will be nice soon...
    • Standard Single Room

They did not state that the hotel was undergoing complete restoration and in was a construction zone. They didn't state that their current interior decor was totally out dated and NEVER in style. The corridors were long dark and void of any decor at all. It was like walking into a prison. on the edge of scary.

The lady at reception was very nice, the others at reception were nice as well. Nice people explaining that the hotel WILL be nice soon, but right now... please bear with us, this will be better soon ("Not for YOUR stay Sir, but soon") The bathroom was very nice, clean, and will maintained. The heaters worked very well with good controls (unlike most radiator heaters).

this place is a cheap hostel shouldn't be described as...
    • Standard Single Room

this place is a cheap hostel shouldn't be described as an hotel certainly should not cost more the 20-30 euro a night, photos on the site lie about how the place actually looks

Read me. Very decieving hotel.

It smelt like old tobacco. The hotel is not a hotel. It is around to the side. Only one floor of the building is the hotel. The rest are apartments. The rooms are old. The duvet and pillows were so uncomfortable. You get one key to let you in to the building, floor, room. There was and old style safe in the cupboard. The floors and toilet were dirty. The towels were hard. It was a horrible experience. On our last morning building works woke us up at 8am. Not happy customers.

The only good thing was the location. It was very dirty and old.

The perfect match for a short tourist trip to Berlin

The buildin is kind if "tired". It is almost impossible to close bathroom door, no shampoo left ...

The location is awsome. U-ban, landmarks, late groceries shop - everything is right near. The rooms are surprisingly large.

Bed comfortable, room very quiet and dark.
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Overpriced for facilities, no drink making facilities and has I had to use the café across the road for breakfast I felt the room was overpriced.

Bed comfortable, room very quiet and dark.

Perfect budget hotel in Berlin!
    • Standard Single Room

The hotel is currently undergoing renovation, so if you are planning to sleep till late during the week days, you should be prepared for noise.

Fantastic location, very friendly staff, the room is spacious, very clean and lovely. I got upgraded from the single room to comfort double, since the hotel was not fully booked, which was very nice. Perfect value for money, I'll definitely come back here, if I travel with limited budget.

Comfortable. Very friendly and helpful lady in reception. Good breakfast. Excellent location.

Maybe we were lucky but I can’t find anything negative.

Spacious room. Clean. In walking distance of any public transport you need. Many different restaurants to choose from.

Excellent accommodation except for the curtains issue mentioned above

Curtains did not cover the whole window in the room. This was pretty annoying as the sunshine would come through the windows waking us up in the morning.

Great location, clean, large room, large bathroom

Couldn't charge phone at night as they circuited the lights with the plugs so had to charge in the bathroom.

Great location, clean, large room, large bathroom

worst experience!
    • Standard Queen Room

Staff attitude is horrible ,had a terrible experience. Got there at 6am hotel was shut,no staff,phone went straight to answer machine. Chef was in restaurant but wudnt allow me in atleast to sit in the warm as I wait. Sat outside in the cold till 8am (2hours) wundt even treat an animal in this despicable way!Asked for extended check out time which was allowed but was harassed by staff at 11am to either check out or pay extra despite explaining and showing extension email. Worst experience!

The pillows

Good

The poor rooms, for the amount of money the stay cost we were very disappointed with the hotel lay out. If we were aware of the layout we would have booked elsewhere.

The front desk staff were very helpful

Four nights I was glad to have behind me. Photos extremely deceptive.

As above. Plus very limited communication outside normal hours.

Facilities very outdated. Very poor lighting. Basic but clean and seemingly safe. The lift was temperamental to say the least and the stair access was not properly lit. The staff were helpful to us as we had travel difficulties. The light switch in my room which turn on all lights in the room and which only covered half of the room, kept flickering on and off. On the afternoon before departure it finally stayed off. I reported it to reception and the end story is that I had two men in my room, neither of whom I could communicate with, at 9 o'clock at night, trying to pull apart the switch and putting screw drivers in to the wires. I really thought I was about to witness a fatality or that a fire would start. I told them several times to leave as I was ready for bed(!) but had to really get firm and sent them away. I don't think either knew what they were doing and I very much doubt that they would have gone back to finish it the next day. A potential fire tragedy in my opinion.

Great location for getting around Berlin.

An issue with my friend's smoke alarm beeping all night likely requiring a battery replacement. The staff resolved this by removing the smoke alarm.

The rooms were very comfortable and quite elegant. Croissants were definitely very flakey.

The location was perfect for walking Berlin. Also, very easy access to public transportation.

The pillows were feathers and therefore when you put your head on it, the pillow went completely flat. That is probably a cultural thing but I would recommend someone bring their own pillow if that is important to them.

Great location but only the bare essentials

After a long flight we were looking forward to resting for a couple of hours before heading out, but there was loud construction until dinner time. The room is large with dated decor. The bathroom is small and the shower is very tiny. Liquid soap serves as the shampoo as well. We each had one small towel and a bath towel. Small fridge in room and we needed 2 euros to use the safe. The halls and stairwell are dark but you can turn the lights on. The elevator didn't work so we walked up and down several flights of stairs.

We stayed here for 4 nights. We were given 2 small bottles of water each day (one natural and one sparkling). The location was excellent and at less than 90 Euros, it's a good deal. Make sure to lock your door as there was a recent break-in. The firm bed is very comfortable and the water pressure is very good in the shower.

Old but lovely place
    • Standard Queen Room

Room was a bit cold and hotel is a bit old but still pretty well maintained

Excellent staff ! Nice clean accommodation in the central area ... quite easy to access by trains and walking distance from the museums and Berlin gate and parliament .

Old fashioned shabby hotel.

This hotel seems to have been built during the communist era and not much has changed. The decor is old, tired and the colours are depressing. The lighting was dim as well, adding to the gloomy atmosphere. The reception is on the ground floor - but the hotel occupies only the third floor. The rest of the building are apartments. The reception closes at 11pm, after that you have to use a side door shared with other occupants of the building. No air conditioning.

Central location close to all the main sights in Berlin. The room had a safe for valubles.

When we went to the hotel and the car parking place in the...

When we went to the hotel and the car parking place in the center of Berlin, we were not promising to buy a special eco sticker car. We do not live in Germany and we do not know. My advice would be for those arriving by car to go to the hotels in the center of Berlin to check out my past decals and indicate where to buy them.

Interesting. Location is excellent. Hotel is a bit lacking
    • Standard Single Room

The hotel is East Berlin era -- dark and a bit scary. My first day there, the elevator did not work and the stairway was very dark and uncomfortable. Got lost trying to find my way back down from the 3rd floor. The hotel is only on one floor.

Location. It is just off the train station. Good location and walking distance to many of the historical sites

Excellent hotel in Berlin
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Very central location, there are bars and restaurants nearby. The breakfast is really very good. The bed is very comfortable and there aren´t noises. The attention is excellent, and the staff is very efficient.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

A great hotel in a very pretty location
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

The corridoors were very dark and gloomy.

A very unique hotel with a great location right on the river front. Staff are friendly and helpful and the restaurant that serves breakfast is very good with great food choices.

convenient hotel
    • Standard Single Room

- i wouldn't say i don't like, but be prepare the hotel room condition is a bit 70s in decor beside the 50 inch TV, and low ceiling. but it is clean, and oh the hair dryer may not work.

- super central location - amazing to have a bike to use for free, good maintenance and super good lock for rental bike. - very nice friendly service

Great value central hotel

Can be loud at night - tram line outside of the hotel, lots of bars/restaurants nearby. Shower was quite slippy.

Large, very comfortable bed. Ideal central location. Hotel felt secure, especially late at night.

Bigger size of room
    • Standard Single Room

The decoration of the hotel is too old, The carpet floor and paint of Wall do not reflect the performed cleanings,

Bigger size of room Central Location Easy to find the hotel kind and friendly staff

Great place to stay for sightseeing

Room was very hot with no air con. View from room of internal buildings and not river. Hairdrier could do with updating as no power. Towel rail not working would have been useful to dry clothes as weather poor.

Great location for sightseeing. Comfy bed. Complimentary bottled water. Fan in room

Perfect location, beautiful area.

Perfect location, beautiful area. Great hotel, good sized room, clean linen, all perfect to allow you to discover Berlin and return to a cosy and comfy room to relax.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

Great location in the heart of Berlin.
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Dated interior and lack of desk service due to the layout of hotel. Rooms set apart in another area outside of the reception building.

Great location in the heart of Berlin. Close to lots of good bars and restaurants. Two minute walk from Friedrichstr station.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

It could be better.

As we had booked the hotel in the very last minute we were accommodated in rooms, which were rather too warm and noisy. The location of the bathroom (looking towards the street) was rather inappropriate.

The hotel had a very nice view.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

An alright hotel
    • Standard Single Room

The building is clearly old and a bit run-down, and the room was a bit tiny. But nothing worth complaining too much about.

The location is great and the staff is very friendly.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

The view from the window was great.

The decoration is a bit dated all the oriental Budas etc is really now very boring...

The view from the window was great. Be careful not to be given a room close to the main road over the bridge. These rooms are very noisy and the pollution from the heavy traffic in the road is horrible, you can't open the window....

Great place and central

Location was excellent. Everything was either a max 15 - 20 minutes walk or a short train/underground ride away. The Berlin Mall was a 15 min walk away with extra shops and food along the way. We would stay here again. There is the option for breakfast with eggs made on request.

Friendly staff

I have too say that the property is old.

We were not happy with our first room where we stayed for first night (was too dark and the bed was uncomfortable) and asked the reception to change our room. The lady was very friendly and offered us another room which was facing the street and was much more comfortable.

Great location, poor room.

Toilet was next to the window just above the street and coffee shop, which make it unusable during the night if the lamps are switched on. The "room" was converted conference hall and was very noisy.

Nice bed and good breakfast (paid).

Wonderful stay in Berlin!

The bathroom shower is quite small

The location is great, the staff is friendly and cheerful, the breakfast was fantastic! I really enjoyed my stay, though only for one night.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

Good for a short stay in Berlin

The pathways and passages are old and colored like a kindergarten. The room was small also

The hotel is bery well located, close to the station and the internet speed is good

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

Centrally located great hotel! Easy to get around via public transport!
    • Standard Single Room

Shame the reception wasn't open 24hours....however as I arrived late, the hotel notified me via email of the closure and where to get my key. :-) So more of an observation rather than an issue

Very close to the station. Rooms large and spacious. Very quiet. Clean rooms. Bar and restaurant next door. Bed huge and comfortable and loved the huge shower. I felt safe - lots of cctv! Oooh and very courteous and helpful front of house staff. Perfect English...wish my German could compare. Overall when I come back to Berlin I would happily stay again

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

Super location!!

No on site parking. Rooms are very outdated.

Location is close to restaurants, trains and the river. The room was very quite and the drapes blocked out all the light for a restful sleep. Although the hotel is very outdated, they had one remolded room which they gave to my daughter and it was beautiful.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2016

Business trip to Berlin

1) Pillows. Very soft and doesnot support head at all. 2) No complimentary facilities. 3) just two bottles of water. 4) My room was on the road side. Very loud

The location of the hotel was fantastic. Everything was in a walking distance.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

Only location.

The building is not totally hotel. Only one floor of a residential building is seperated as a hotel. The building smelled of food all the time. Room was old looking.they should mention that it is a one floor of a residential building.maybe they do but i havent seen!!!

Only location.

• Reviewed: 4 December 2016

Wouldn't stay here again

The hotel smelt old,musty and dirty. One of the windows in our room was broken. I had to stand on a chair to close it m(due to traffic noise) Being right on a main road, the traffic noise was bad(there was no mention of this in the description or photos) Someone entered our room(with a key) at 8am on Saturday morning, and when I enquired at reception, i was met with a very blank answer. This worried me and concerned me for the security of my belongings in the room(and myself at night)

The location was good. Very central

• Reviewed: 28 November 2016

Comfortable hotel in good central location.

I found the bed a bit too firm but that is more a personal problem as I have arthritis in my hip. My husband was fine. Just wish hotels abroad supplied a kettle as they do in the UK as we appreciate a cup of tea or coffee in the morning and evening, just a small point. We brought cups of tea in from McDonalds nearby!

We enjoyed our stay here. Thought our room was very comfortable, very clean and appreciated the complimentary bottled water every day. Close to Friedrichstrasse station so ideal for connection to airport and also getting around town easily. Staff very pleasant and helpful.

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

Avoid

1 of the two rooms we booked was forgotten. My colleague had to improvise another hotel in the middle of the night. Staff didn't tell us they closed the reception at 11pm so we had to deal with a bar next door who were nice but didn't have the power to help nuch. Staff didn't apologize the next day. No elevator. The room was big but very old. Curtains don't close although the window is huge. Sound isolation from the window is very poor. Lights are very limited.

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

Exellent hotel

Everything was ok.

Very nice hotel. Stuff is the best. Very comfortable and clean hotel with the best location in the city. We will reccomend it to everyone.

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

Free bottle water in the room.

Dim corridors during night and early morning, light turned on with motion. Old key and lock door system.

Free bottle water in the room. Good internet connection. Comfortable bed.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

Highly recommended

No room service or mini bar.

Staff was friendly and helpful, the room was very big, comfortable and clean. Great value for money. It's not the coolest part of the city, but it has a beautiful view and easy access to all Berlin by public transport or even walking.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

Perfect location, good breakfast

It wasn't cheap

The location was really perfect, with sight on the Spree Breakfast was extra, but not too expensive and really good The bathroom had a nice panoramic view! :-)

• Reviewed: 12 October 2016

Affordable comfortable hotel with a great location! (But no 24/7 staff)
    • Comfort Double Room

No 24/7 staff. In fact the lobby is closed at 22:00- 8:00. At that time, if you need to report issues or check-out, it is very difficult to get a hold of anyone. I almost missed my train trying to check out at 7:00.

Great view to the river! Walking distance to great museums, restaurants, and other fun places.

• Reviewed: 12 October 2016

Would not stay here again very disappointed

Room 21 this room should have never have been booked out to paying Customers. Stains on the Floor, stains on one of the pillows & broken Shower Head that fell and hit you in the face they did have it fixed once we told them. Reception Staff definitely knew about this room. We did get another room on our last night. Don't always believe pictures that are posted on websites

Location was very central.

I hated private external bathroom in the corridor.
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

I hated private external bathroom in the corridor. No air-condition!

Very friendly and helpful staff. I spent there only one night. Don't plan to come back.
    • Standard Single Room

Dark low corridors, very small room.

Close to places of interest

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Toilet space was big

There is no air conditioning in the hotel

Toilet space was big

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Perfect location

Room organisation

Perfect location

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

Central, clean, basic and good value, with very friendly staff.
    • Standard Single Room

The rooms were very warm with no air conditioning, although I had a fan so it was fine.

Friendly staff, great location!

Great service and location.
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

The corridor had no ventilation and was very hot.

Great service and location. The room was beautiful and the bathroom very tidy.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

No air conditioner

Excellent enjoyable

Nothing really

The location and staff

Comfy bed.
    • Standard Queen Room

Hotel obviously under renovation hence god price. Some noise on weekdays otherwise good.

Comfy bed. Quirky room. Excellent location.

The view was awesome.

There was no air conditioning

The view was awesome. The staff was very pleasant and friendly. The hotel was quiet.

I would not say it is a hotel. Some sort of boarding house maybe.

They were under renovation.

Location was good.

Nothing works.

Nothing works. No light in the bathroom (had to change the room). Poor staff. The building is under reconstruction

Great location, friendly staff

Great location, friendly staff

The staff, the cleaning and the bathroom were very nice.

There were no bad aspects

The staff, the cleaning and the bathroom were very nice.

After have initial reservations we actually had a very pleasant stay.

The rooms were basic and not much light, there was no English channel on the TV

The location of the hotel was excellent and the staff were lovely.

Location only
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

No value for money . Expensive, old furniture , small room , leakage in bathroom , zero facilities in the room

Location only

nice location and fair price
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

shower and toilet outside the room

nice location and fair price