Reviews of Axel Hotel Berlin-Adults Only This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services offered. It is based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

Lietzenburger Str. 13/15, Tempelhof-Schöneberg, 10789 Berlin, Germany

#392 of 579 hotels in Berlin

It came as a positive surprise that at my arrival I was upgraded to a suite. However, the air conditioning did not work so that the hallway wS cooler than the room. The room was also rather dusty. The remote control to the TV had been stolen. I thought that the staff while being polite and supportive was completely uninterested in the well being of the guests. For example, when I told them that I wanted to cancel a reservation I had made for a future date, the person at the reception desk did not inquire about the reason for this change. She could have cared less whether I was content with my stay or not. Odd!

The location of the hotel is excellent. That is why I chose it in the first place. However, that is the only positive comment I can make about it.

Maintenaince

It try to be fance, but honestly its a bit to run down. The sink in the bathroom, is mounted in a wooden blackpainted shelf. The wood is not happy with water, do you get the picture. The roof terrace, the wooden floor were partly rotten, not the best to walk on.

Rooms/hotel spaces are very dark. Rooftop was just space on roof to sit. Did not feel like a hotel. Felt like a motel that happen to have some spa services

Location was perfect. But not much more to sing praises about. It was all ok. Especially if you are a gay single or couple.

• City Double Room

The AC was a bit underpowered; on the 6th floor (the top floor) it couldn't cope effectively with the 30 - 32 degrees Celsius.

Quiet rooms. The fitness area. The fast WiFi.

• City Double Room

I should have read the other reviews. I asked for a city view but the road can be a little noisy but I am a very light sleeper so I can’t really fault the hotel. Next time I will ask for the garden view.

Every thing was great. The steam room and spa pool unlike other hotels is free and open till late. The restaurant was top notch. Breakfast was fab lots of choices and the staff are so friendly. Great for a solo traveller.

• City Double Room

The only thing that made me quiet angry.. was the card key for the room! I spend quiet a lot of time going to the reception o get activated again and again! For some reason it stoped work 100 times! Frustrating!

Great hotel in a fantastic location! The hotel is very clean, with some very helpful staff. The breakfast is fab! The member of staff who serves breakfast is a great guy! The hotel is very modern in a very different taste! The spa is another great action to the hotel! Very clean and organised! Very fun at times!

• City Double Room

General ware and ashtrays overflowing.

Clean rooms and comfortable sleep. Curtains blacked out giving me the chance to have a long lie in without being disturbed by the morning sun

• City Double Room

I'd liked to prepare my coffee and tea into the room

Located in a safe area close to the metro station and to clubs and restaurants. Very professional staff at reception and at the restaurant. Good quality breakfast. Beautiful junior suite. Very comfortable bed. Exceptional WiFi. Panoramic top floor with gym and spa. Upper roof equipped for sunbathing

The breakfast wasn’t the best unfortunately, so only ate there once. There were no tea and coffee facilities in the room and being British, tea is an essential part of my evening and morning....

Was a good location, room was nice and clean

• City Double Room

When I arrived John at the reception was super friendly and was very generous to give me an upgrade. After several stays at Axel this time was the best. Cleanliness was excellent, any wish for room service excellent too. But the room was outstanding, I would love to stay there every time;-) Thanks John I had my best stay ever - I will come back!

However, it was advertised as a non smoker room, it smelled strongly. When I pushed the pillow the smelly breez came out and for non smoker that wasn't pleasant. The flushing system in the toilet worked only for number one...when I got the room there was still something from the last client. After showering the water kept dripping for some hours and that was noisy and there wasn't a door between the room and bathroom. Black color on the walls might be trendy but that assumes absolute tidyness and perfect interior works but it wasn't so and the final impression was cheep and nasty.

Perfect location

• City Double Room

Dark rooms and mosquitoes buzzing around all night long. No tea/coffee making facility in the room, no iron for ironing clothes - not a 4 star hotel like it claims.

• City Double Room

The attitude of one staff member ruined what should have been a pleasant experience. It was noted by other guests too that his attitude was poor. I paid a decent amount of money to stay at this property; I don't expect to receive dirty looks at breakfast time, incorrect information, and general poor attitude. On that basis alone, I would not choose to stay at the property again. The sister hotel was a far nicer experience, which was complemented by warm friendly staff.

Great location, rooms are clean, beds were comfortable.

• City Double Room

The Turkish cafe & breakfast facing the hotel is very rude and homophobia, the worst I’ve ever seen in my life

Nice neighborhood with relaxing atmosphere

• City Double Room

Breakfast was a bit, random, but perfectly satisfying. I was in a Suite and it would've been great to have some nice bubble bath when I wanted to use the jacuzzi bath instead I had to settle for one of the normal Shower Gels, which didn't do the job ha.

Amazing check-in experience, upgraded to a Suite, very very happy. Instant love for this hotel. Spa on the 6th floor is great, busy enough at all times to really relax you :P

The noise. Being on the first floor on the street side was just too much. And there was a beep coming from nearby (hallway? next room?) that just did not stop all night long.

Great atmosphere, it is so easy to meet new people (and take it from there).

• City Double Room

One minor thing - the shower tended to spray out under the glass screen and onto the bathroom floor

Stylish, modern hotel in the trendy Schoneberg district. Upon arrival we were upgraded to a Junior Suite, which was spacious and comfortable, with a luxurious bathroom and city views. The hotel is perfectly located for the main Kudam street, where you can find shops, bars, restaurants etc., as well as public transport options.

• City Double Room

The service the hospitality Very slow I had problems in my room they did not react fast and did not even offer a drink We asked for an omelette at breakfast and 2 days in a row they told us the stove is not working

The room wasn't clean so good, and when I enter the room was already a little bit dirty, that should not suppose happened

Nice Hotel, good breakfast and really welcome stuff I always choose this hotel when I go to Berlin

• City Double Room

The shower/bath hot water was a bit of a head scratch to work out, the hot water went cold quickly, turn off the shower then turn on to get hot water again, everything else was lovely

Great location, me and my girlfriend felt most welcome from start to finish.

Very dark passages and bathroom areas in the rooms.

Quick and efficient check in. Staff always available for questions. Location is perfect for shopping and in a nice part of the city. Being able to open the windows in the room for fresh air was great. Gym, spa and open rooftop area were a huge bonus.

• City Double Room

It was possible to hear the music from the reception area in my room on the second floor. Perhaps a service whereby electric kettles could be supplied by the reception (and cups) for guests who would like to make a cup of tea or coffee? It could even be in the reception area.

The WiFi was good, the gym was very small but it was good to have that facility. The room was very clean and storage and hanging spaces were compact. The reception was very helpful on my arrival when the room door lock mechanism was found to be faulty.

Hot tub could be a little hotter and they could freshen up the spa and roof an extra time per day. From strewn towels and so forth.

Perfect location for gay community and nightlife. Easy to get to from Tegel Airport on public transportation. Staff was helpful when asked.

In-house catering was not a focus, we tried room service they hung up.

Team were friendly and helpful. Cleaners were efficient and friendly. Location was right in the heart of gay life. Local Mexican was the best ever. Facilities were good, an extra surprise was the jacuzzi had city views. Good mix of people. Roof top providing sun bathing opportunities. Well located for transport and walking to sites.

• City Double Room

The cleanning of the room could be better, But I really feel sorry for all the people who needs to clean after what's going on in this rooms..

My 3rd time it this crazy hotel :) Perfect location if you are into gay parties/bars/and... ;) Friendly stuff, friendly guests everywhere,, Many places to eat and walk around The best option for you in Berlin!

• City Double Room

There was no tea/coffee facilities in room. Some staff didn’t even look at me, when dealing with me. We were evacuated due to fire alarm, but staff didn’t even engage with residents and some didn’t want to use the lift, but there was no stairway back to rooms.

We liked that it was spotless.

the room was very small for the money charged with an open plan bathroom which is not good for two friends sharing, it was decorated in dark colours with not enough light to shave properly The increase in the room rate for the Easter weekend was unjustified for such a small room. There was a fault with the air conditioning which if left running made a horrible beeping noise so we had to turn it off as it was waking us at night. No concession for this was made. The only thing a hotel has to do is provide a decent night's sleep which this property failed to do. the pillows were also awful the cheapest foam pillows and I ended up with neck ache. I don't think I would stay at this property again or recommend it.

• City Double Room

The rooms are very dark. The lighting is really bad. Everything is black and the lighting inadequate when you need to find something. There was no where to put luggage or clothes especially for a longer term stay.

Really convenient location and one of the staff members for breakfast was very attentive and alway remembered my preference for coffee and need for gluten-free bread.

• City Double Room

AC didn’t get cool enough - but the windows open - so that was good

Breakfast buffet is good; staff is attentive. Sauna area was clean and well maintained

Had to change my room due to frying smell. But stuff were helpful in the process and reacted fast.

In the heart of the Gay district, accessible, quiet and friendly staff.

• City Double Room

The staff seemed bored and uninterested and most requests were met with apathy. We asked for Ice for my partners medication and were told there wasn’t an ice machine. The room was shabby. Entered the room on arrival to find maintenance already there trying to fix the toilet brush that had fallen off the wall. The huge patio door was open with a sticker on it saying defective and so ya would close. Had to call maintenance for a second time. Still no room change. Then took a shower that evening and he shower flooded the bedroom as it ran out of the shower and into the bedroom. Had to use all of our towels to mop up the mess. The drains in the bathroom smelled and the room smelled of stale cigarette smoke. Air conditioning / heating was SO noisy (as in rattling and broken) we couldn’t use it at night. The room was dusty. Bed however was clean and comfortable.

The spa facilities and location of the hotel were very good.

• City Double Room

My room was on the first floor over the dining area so I could get all the noise from the parties that were held there. I could hear the constant ringing of a phone the whole time during my stay. Very annoying!

Really like the rooms and the spa area.

• City Double Room

The double bed consisted of two single beds. When I first entered, I felt some smoke smell although the room was a non-smoker one. The room was on the 3rd floor with a view on the main street, so it was a little bit noisy during the day due to the heavy traffic. However, the curtain was thick and, thus, it acted as a soundpoofing material, too.

The superior room was big, the breakfast was abundant, the shopping center is very close. The room was provided with several towels, a hair dryer, toiletries, a bathrobe and slippers. The spa was excellent. The outdoor jacuzzi with hot water on the roof was amazing although the ambient temperature was below zero and there was an icecold wind.

• City Double Room

The only thing is that I think they could touch up the rooms a little where there has been some beauty damage. But for the price we paid I shouldn't even mention it. I also choose not to enter the fitness area, as I opened the door and saw a completely naked man (the spa area has the same entrance). That was slightly outside my comfort zone, and I would have preferred it if there was some solution to this, or at least some info on the door. I really felt like I invaded someoned privacy.

Everything. Read a few rewievs here from people who were upset it was a "gay hotel", but from my experience gays should open more hotels. From the detox water, cool design, and late breakfast, I just loved it. But be aware that there are a few edgy photos around the hotel.

• City Double Room

Shower, lighting, temperature, tv, toilet, windows.... everything

Window was cracked, outside air was coming in bc not properly sealed, toilet wouldn’t flush completely, poor lighting, shower leaked all over floor, drapes were dusty/didn’t close completely, no blankets, said offered room service but no menu anywhere, WiFi was so horrible/was under impression it was free per booking.com but upon arrival was told it costs per day, i called down about issues but was told that I needed to tell someone else at a different time.

• City Double Room

The room had a few maintenance niģgles but nothing that impacted our stay. The black walls and mirrors are a bit disconcerting at first.

We were a bit nervous as a straight couple, but everyone was super friendly and we felt completely welcome. The breakfasts are excellent and well worth it.

• City Double Room

Love the design and the look but room fitout is reaching end of life. Some additional maintenance would fix some of this. At this level of hotel it’s a bit below par.

Good location. Great for the gay traveler. The restaurant is also very good.

• City Double Room

Recently, a few things have been corrected, among other things, we finally get a "Light card" so that when entering the room we do not have to insert cards in the dark :) All great!

• City Double Room

Room not cleaned twice. Similar to their hotels in Barcelona. No desk on room. Very hot. Airco does not work properly. Staff not very accommodating.

• City Double Room

Man this place was bad. I was getting in the elevator. A guy got in before me. He pressed the button for floor 3. I pressed the button for floor 1. He got off the lift and followed me to my room and tried to sell me crystal meth. I'm typically a nice guy. I shrugged it off and tried to politely send the guy away. He just came off the street into the hotel. That's not my type of environment.

The staff was fine.

• City Double Room

I searched for rooms with breakfast included and this room came out. However to my surprise there was no breakfast included and I was told to pay €18 extra for breakfast. I showed the reception how the reservation was made but there was no merci. Booking. Com was even more useless. After spending half an hour on the phone the lady only showed understand but she didn't do anything. It's not fair, especially for someone that uses booking.com all the time for so many years and I never made any complaint.

Comfortable bed and bath

• City Double Room

The standard rooms are very small. Theres nowhere to put your suitcase even. And no tea or coffee making facilities. Everything is also a bit shabby and needing a good clean.

Good location. Having a spa and sauna is nice.

• City Double Room

The hotel is tired and could do with an upgrade. Door to the toilet wouldn’t close for instance. The cleaning staff came in to the room without knocking several times, one time to yell at me for having put out the the wrong sign on the door. They forgot basic things like filling up toilet paper. Very basic breakfast, go somewhere else. I’ve stayed at much better hotels for the same price in Berlin. It all seemed a bit unprofessional. The inexperienced window cleaner (poor thing) did the windows during breakfast, instead of waiting an hour until the place would have been empty. The walls are thin, so you will hear your neighbours.

Good location. The staff at the reception was ok. The guy serving breakfast was exceptional; professional and friendly.

Had to wait for check-in until 3pm. Other then that its a great place and really value for the money!

It’s a great place! So much better then expected! Junior suite has a decent size, good atmosphere! Place is perfect if you’re up for some cruising and fun in the middle of the gay district.

• City Double Room

Excellent stay at Axel - Room clean, all staff friendly and helpful, especially Fredy on reception even ordering pizza for me :) great breakfast and perfect location.

• City Double Room

Cleaning could be better, and there was a weird smell in the room, probably because it was located very close to the spa area.

Not my first at Axel hotel Berlin. It's a very nice hotel, well located. Best thing for me this time was the staff, Fredy, the recepcionist, is very professional, and extremely friendly, and made it a better experience!

• City Double Room

Room service was hit and miss. One day my room wasn't made up at all and the cleaning when done wasn't as good as it could be. My other comment is about the music in the foyer - its a bit too loud and could be quieter to create a better ambience.

My room was spacious, quiet and comfortable. Staff were friendly - Freddy on the check in desk was very helpful. I was offered an upgrade which was appreciated. The rooms has good facilities and all you need. Location was good - perfect for the main gay area.

Upon departure, it was suggested that I used something from the mini bar, whereas I did not at all ( I even didn’t notice the mini bar is there). The situation was solved professionally, yet I think the system of the room mini-bar check-up could be improved so such awkward situation doesn’t take place. I don’t know if this is human error or some automatic chip that sends information something has been taken. Either way, I think it should be taken care of.

The breakfast was fantastic and the bartender/waiter during breakfast service was such a kind, lovely person! The room was clean, comfortable bed, great place to stay!

• City Double Room

One of the lifts was being refurbished when I was there and the one in operation made it very slow to get to the 5TH floor (where my room was). The second lift become in use again on my final day. I was given 2 key cards to my room but it was very easy to have the data wiped on the card as I had them next to my phone and wallet and I had to get reception to renew them which was a little inconvenient as I’ve had key cards before and this has not really happened. The room was a little warm at first and the A/C could have been stronger but the windows in the room fully opened up and cooled the room room down in minutes.

The room was booked last minute and I got a great deal. The room was actually bigger than I thought and although the room furniture and decor was minimal it was slick and stylish. The bathroom shower was remarkable: so many different features, great strength and the bathroom was set up in a very seductive way. Some people’s comments on Booking.com is that the bathrooms needed to be cleaned more but as the bathroom has black tiles it’s just the way it is and I thought it was the best part of the room. The room also had fantastic black-out curtains and very quiet even though it was in a great part of Berlin. The hotel was close to main of the main features in Berlin and had some good facilities. Everyone I met was pleasant.

There wasn't much I didnt like. If I had to pick some gripes, the headboard on my bed had a small ledge which protruded outwards which I occasionally banged my head on whilst sleeping and woke me up a few times. Although the soundproofing within the hotel is great as per my positive review, the noise from the road was pretty audible at times. Someone tried to enter my room one morning and had also tried my friends' rooms across from me on the same floor. But these are minor gripes and did not detract in any way the enjoyment of my stay here.

The property location was literally a few minutes walk from the train/underground station. Check-in was superb - we arrived a little earlier than expected and we were looking to just leave our bags in a secure place to go wandering until check-in - the lovely lad on reception allowed us to check-in early which was a HUGE bonus after travelling on an early flight (thank you!!) The room (I was in a superior room on 3rd floor with view of the main road) was very big, the bed was bigger than I expected, the wash/shower facilities were clean and tidy and the shower itself was amazing. Ive seen some critical reviews of the dark setting of the room but this is obvious in the pictures and was exactly what I like. I didnt use any of the facilities available but from what I saw, they looked good. I loved the music that played throughout the foyer area too. There was a safe in the room too, and a minibar. I could not hear anything at all from any of the rooms above or next to me; I even tried playing my music loud in the room and went into hallway to see if I could hear it from there - couldnt hear it; its always a bonus when you cant hear the room next to you - especially in an adult only hotel ;) One of my friends stayed in a smaller City Room on the same floor which was lovely too. I would definitely stay again.

• City Double Room

The security of the hotel is not very good. In the corridors there were a couple of guys who were not staying and they were hanging around. They were not the best of personalities and this gave me a very negative thought. We live in a world where it is not as safe as it was and therefore I feel the hotel needs better security. To be honest there are better hotels in the area and cheaper.

The location was excellent and near the main gay area of the city. The room was very comfortable, warm and very clean. The shower was powerful and large! The reception staff were friendly and welcoming.

• City Double Room

Would be great to add tea / coffee facilities in the rooms. Avoid the need to go to restaurant or cafe first thing in morning

Great facilities, including the roof top jacuzzi, good gym and steam room etc

Is like you pay the Price For 5 star hotel And they put you in a 1 Start Pension Security 0 Clean 0 Reception 0 Better sauna than that

Room Service The room keeping lady

• City Double Room

All about a very good time at Axel - very tidy comfy room and huge rain shower - rooftop Whirlpool and many friendly Dudes around - a chat and a "Hi" here and there - amazing : P

Slow check-in

Cool hotel, with very nice spa, located in the hear of the city, in a quite hood, very close to 2 metro stations. The breakfast was excellent as well as the Georgian restaurant inside/next to the hotel, which offers a delicious food for good prices in a nice atmosphere.

The staff (except the new director, who is the nicest possible person) could be more welcoming and warm. Sad to have a smile only when leaving after a week in a suite. Cleaning lady really sympathetic. An enclosed smokingroom inside the hotel would be great, particularly in winter time. We had breakfast in the suite, without the ordered coffees, and without possibility to have them, except on the bill...

The location is absolutely perfect. In the center of the action. You do not even have to go out to have lot of action. The possibility to host visiting friend in the bedroom, the freedom in the hotel. Axel Hotel is really different from other hotels, and the possibilities of playing without fear to disturb is great. The acoustic is really good. You do not notice noise from other rooms.

• City Double Room

Lighting could be improved Complimentary Coffee/tea could have been provided,or a kettle to have hot water! The bathroom in the suite given at the beginning was not convenient as when u shower the water goes to the bedroom/pathway

staff were polite and friendly comfortable bed and pillows

• City Double Room

Some small things could be improved to make the hotel great (especially the fitness and SPA area).

Good location and confortable bed. Breakfast was good even though the bread was moldy (which is not acceptable as the staff should have checked it before)

• City Double Room

Horrible check in. Took forever, rooms not available long time past normal check in hours. Seems like pretty poor management (don't offer late check-out to make extra money at the cost of arriving guests having to wait to check in...)

clean, comfy rooms! nice rooftop area & gym!

The bed was a bit hard.

Axel Hotel Berlin, is defiantly the place to stay if you are interested in visiting the beautiful KaDeWe, the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church, the Berlin Zoo, Aquarium Berlin and or attending many of the night clubs in the area. The Axel Berlin has a fantastic and comfortable gym and spa area. The rooms are quaint and very nicely appointed but the bed was a bit hard. The staff are all very accommodating and polite. The Restaurant is Georgian and the cuisine is very interested. A bit expensive but at least its something different.

• City Double Room

Bath products were pretty low quality, so we went out and bought our own. Clearly not a big problem.

Very friendly staff, nice modern design, good breakfast, gay (mostly) hotel, great location

• City Double Room

There was a lot of dust in the room The shower door did not close It's a pity that there is no use of the roof in the winter, they could make a coverup and then make something beautiful

Easy and fast cheak in, upgrade

• City Double Room

I'm a light sleeper and when the doors to the rooms closed, they did so with a loud bang which woke me up several times during the night. Even with earplugs in. I thought it was unusual not to offer tea/coffee making facilities in the room - that's not a drawback, just an observation.

First of all, the hotel was spotlessly clean - big plus. The spa facilities on the 6th floor are highly recommended. Sitting in a hot Jacuzzi in the middle of a snowfall has to be one of my favourite memories. The location of the property is two minutes away from Wittenbergplatz which is very well connected and easy to get to. The staff were very friendly - reception, the on-site masseur and the cleaners. I stayed in a double room the bed was large, firm (but not uncomfortable) and it was difficult to get up in the morning! I think several guests also reported taking to their duvets as it was so cosy. And best of all, the air conditioning was fully functional and could handle both hot and cold! I didn't try the breakfast buffet this visit so can't report on the food.

• City Double Room

The hotel is very dark and a small light when you first enter the room would be beneficial.

The staff were very friendly and the place is beautifully clean.

• City Double Room

The bed was too hard for my tastes. The room had the slight stench of cigarette smoke. Lighting could be better in the bathroom area. I wish the rooms and hallways were not painted black. It's depressing.

Great location, near the U-bahn. Wonderful but small spa on the 6th floor. Strong wifi. Lots of good restaurants nearby.

• City Double Room

I booked this Hotel in September through booking.com where I had the option of a smoking room as it was mentioned on their website that there are smoking rooms. Upon my check in I checked if the smoking room I requested was assigned to me and the answer of the receptionist was that there are no smoking rooms any more because something happened. What happened? No answer on that. The receptionist wished me a good stay when she gave me the key cards of my room with not any information provided about the Hotel. I guess a Good Luck wish would be rather appropriate instead. Where is the friendliness of the staff mentioned in all these comments I read? I was therefore disappointed as I could have booked a cheapest hotel much closer to the "fun area " of Berlin. The room it self small but that's ok I guess for a city hotel. There was not a baggage stand which means that either you place your bag on the side of the bed you don't sleep when you are alone, or you just put it on the floor as there is not another space for sure. Not even a small wardrobe available except a few hungers above your bed. The luck of maintenance is obvious all around the room with broken parts on the installed furniture and a very noisy air-co which by the way doesn't work properly as the heat is not enough for a hotel in such a cold city as Berlin. Room amenities were ok apart the fact that in the room directory it mentions room service is available but if you want to order something you have to contact the front desk to provide you with the menu. How stupid is that really? If you wish to order something whilst chilling in your room you have to get dressed step down to the front desk where they ask you to go to the restaurant and see the menu there.

The Location!

• City Double Room

Decor is tired and a bit gloomy, lack of wardrobe space and breakfast is overpriced

Central Location close to everything if you’re into the scene around fugerstrasse and the shower in the ensuite was the best evet

• City Double Room

The bathroom is cheap and thorn. Except from the shower, the bathroom walls seems to be made of painted particle board. Going to the toilet feels like sitting in a small cubicle. The double room was small. It was sure big enough for me, since I traveled alone. But for two people it's small. There were no little hook, nothing, to hang your coat in the entrance. No wardrobes at all in the room. There was only a bar with hangers in the room, above the bed. You have to be tall enough to reach it. The jacuzzi at the top floor did not work. Still it was nice to use as a hot tub.

The main reason to book this hotel is if you want to stay among and meet other gay men, at the hotel. Also, the location is very good: next to Schöneberg gay area and also very close to Wittenbergplatz and KaDeWe. The top floor with a beautiful view, resting chairs, sauna and outside hottub is very pleasant for relaxing. The staff was very friendly and let me go there to relax before my room was ready for check-in (I arrived early). Beds are really comfortable. They had blackout curtains.

• City Double Room

super noisy fan in the bathroom, not even a kettle or toothpaste in the room.. for the price it was a very stripped down experience, I am surprised as Barcelona Axel is 10 times better

• City Double Room

Bathrooms are completely not practical, sliding door for wc makes it completely uncomfortable. Wardrobe is way too small and open. Lights are way to dull. Gym opens too late (9:00) and closes too early (13:00)

Location is perfect!!

• City Double Room

No hot water in the morning!!!!! I was in a double room... the bed was two twins pushed together, but with no joiner to keep them from spreading apart while i was sleeping... this meant being awakened through the night and having to push the beds back together... surely it can't be too difficult to join the twin beds to stabilize them?

Location is good, especially for gay neighborhood. Easy access to public transport and shopping mile. Rooms are nicely appointed, if a little small. Spa is very basic, but usable.

• City Double Room

The reception staff were unwelcoming, only interested in up-selling to a more expensive room and pre-selling non-refundable breakfast. The room was very dusty, with dark splash stains on the ceiling over the bed, greasy hand prints on the window, "clean me" was written in the dirt on the toilet door, there were empty food wrappers under the bed. The towels were thin and scratchy, the shower gel is like washing up liquid. The bed is hard and uncomfortable, the covers thin and the pillows were thin and lumpy. There is no storage in the room and no facility to make tea or coffee. The lighting is dingy, not helped by the black painted walls. Breakfast was served by friendly staff, but the offering was very poor, well below four star standard. Breakfast is served in the hotel bar. The bar is dark and unwelcoming, we stayed for five days, we didn't see anyone in the bar except for at breakfast time. The top floor spa has a very small bath, which was quite warm, but the bubbles didn't work. The spa smelt strongly of chlorine. Our experience of the hotel did not justify the 'Axel' price tag, and came nowhere close to either a four star rating, or to the promise implied by the Axel website or social media.

The hotel location is good, close to bars, clubs, transport and shopping.

The cleanliness of the WC is extremely poor, being dirty and also terribly smelly. The soundproof between rooms is not good, as I kept hearing the phone of the room aside ringing all the night long. They should make a full refurbishment soon. With respect to the Axel two Barcelona, this hotel is worth 3 stars max.

The staff is nice and the breakfast good

• City Double Room

It was a bit cold especially the 2nd day and the heating was not working properly. But I had a bath robe which saved the day :-)

The staff were very very kind. They upgraded me to a suite on the last floor which had an amazing view on the city.

I lacked proper storage facilities and a wardrobe for the clothes. In addition, there was no available access to mobile broadband in our room which is bad at such a nice hotel in central Berlin.

Nice design hotel in central Berlin.

Browse Axel Hotel Berlin-Adults Only traveller photo gallery