Reviews of Bornholmer Hof im Prenzlauer Berg This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services offered. It is based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

Bornholmer Str. 92, 10439 Berlin, Germany

#467 of 579 hotels in Berlin

Close to public transportation to city area and to the Tegel...

The hotel is located at an inner yard and one side of it is facing a kindergarten. If you don´t want to risk to get a room on this side (like I did) and don´t like loud playing and screaming children from 8.00 am to 5 pm weekdays - avoid this hotel!

Close to public transportation to city area and to the Tegel airport. Breakfast buffet OK.

I like the place because I was not bothered and I had a sepa

It would have been nice if they had an elevator and my room had an old TV from 1992 which is really funny in this century. And it would be nice I they have a sky package that has sports on it instead of one just watching Germany channels.

I like that the place was nearby the trim and taxi plus a shopping centre.

Never again!

unacceptable and rude behaviour from the manager. I had booked a single room and he told me they had only a double room. when I insisted that my reservation was for a single room, he told me "either take it or leave!" in a very bad manner. I tried to explain politely but this changed nothing. I had asked a room in low floor, I was given a room at 3rd floor with no elevator.

spacious room

Avoid this place if you don't speak German and if you think that politeness is a value

This property is unprepared to host international travellers. The staff does not speak English at all. When I checked in the room did not have clean towels and I had to go down three floors to ask for,the person at the reception shouted something in German and disappeared, very impolitely. Also at breakfast you had to figure out where coffee was cause when the person was asked she replied (very impolitely) in German only. (btw in the reception there are ants walking around)Worst thing:in the booking email they said they accept cards but when you go there they want cash. I made a point of this and the receptionist mumbled something in German. In the end they took the money from my card and did not give me a receipt which I need. I have emailed them twice and no answer. Again, very impolite.

Great place to stay in Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin. Good value for the money.

The location was great. Tram stop right out front. I liked the two reading lamps in the room, one near the bed to read at night, one at the desk. I really liked the desk and chair. Bed was comfortable. Nice to have a full-length mirror in the room, too. The room was clean, the heat worked fine, as it was cool at night. It was very quiet, the room faced the courtyard, no traffic noises. There was hair dryer, shampoo, and soap in the bathroom. There was a complete breakfast with good choice of fruit, cheese, cold cuts, eggs, bread, rolls, coffee, tea and juice. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay here again.

Good position, overall average, not so good value for money.

Poor parking space. The credit card that was requested by Booking.com was not used to finalize the payment process: we had to pay CASH directly at the hotel after our stay. They did not accept any kind of cards.

Position

Competitive price.

Access to the hotel from the street was unclear . Multilingual information sheet (breakfast times etc.) would have been helpful as few of the staff spoke English

Competitive price. Near U- and S-bahn.

Quiet, good location, don't judge a book by its cover

The entrance to the hotel has a bit of graffiti on and the hotel sign is broken but this is on the main street entrance so on arrival it can cause a bit of consternation as a "what have I booked here!?" but it was no reflection on the hotel. It is cash only, no card payments. Didn't really see the staff except at breakfast

Lovely large room, very quiet as the hotel is in a square, cold breakfast but plenty of it. Very clean, in a good area to get all over Berlin, S-bahn only a 5-10 minute walk. Our room had a little balcony as well. For the cost we were pleasantly surprised.

Cheap stay, don't expect too much than it is good

The hotel is located as second entry after two doors. Door bell seems to not work, but entry is possible after phoning and receiving code for opening the door "123". Payment is necessary in cash and was a bit of hesitating if it is already needed upon check-in.

Very cheap room and inside of the room sufficient space for living, sleeping, using bathroom. Breakfast is okay and especially with the very low rate a good extra. Way to S-Bahn, subway, Strassenbahn very short and area "Prenzlauer Berg" is very nice

Ok location, not so good service in English

The personnel didn't inform me how to get in to the hotel after office hours. It was very unclear when there was anyone at the reception and my key didn't work in the front door. Had to call a phone number that was written in German, not English. Nobody picked up but after a while somebody called me back. In their broken English they explained how I could get in through a back door. Imagine if this had been in the middle of the night and nobody could have given me an access to the hotel? Strangest arrangement and made me feel really uncomfortable as a hotel guest.

I liked the breakfast and the quietness of the location. Seems ok price-quality ratio.

The receptionist was very pleasant.

Photos of the hotel surroundings are very misleading.The staff finish at 8pm and after this there is a very complicated method of entry into the hotel. This is very disconcerting if you arrive after dark!

The receptionist was very pleasant. It was clean.

It was pretty cold in the room and in the common areas on...

It was pretty cold in the room and in the common areas on the first night of our stay (and no hot water), but in the morning it turned out there was some problem with pipes in the whole building, and the staff fixed it quickly. Another thing was about our departure. I asked the receptionist in advance to arrange us a taxi on our departure day to get to the airport (26 December 6.15 in the morning), and when we were out on the street at 6.15 am sharp there was no taxi! While the reception only opens at 7 am... It could turn out to be a big problem to get to the airport on time unless I had not checked some other taxi company phone number (just in case...) before. I called another taxi myself and we were lucky to get to the airport without delay. Actually I do not know whether the problem relates to the hotel staff or to the taxi company... if to the taxi company, the hotel shall definitely stop working with those unreliable guys.

Would return there if I am lucky enough to return to Berlin.

It wasn't clear on the Booking.com site if breakfast was included. I had good access to the free wifi with my Kindle. My partner had intermittent access with his iPad.

Staff were friendly and helpful. Quiet location -- second courtyard in from the street. Not all staff had the same level of English, but always better than our German competency and not a problem. Breakfast was great--wide variety and good quality! Easy control of heat in room plus both bathrooms (one bathroom was the w.c. The other was the shower.) We unexpectedly needed a hotel, reserved the room after 5:30 pm, walked ten minutes to the hotel from where we were sitting at the time, and checked in at 6:05, no problem. I wish we had spent more of our nights in Berlin in this hotel! Other guests were cordial. Cleaning staff was respectful. I would have felt safe here if I was a woman travelling alone. Easy walk to large Rewe store with a good deli and free wi-fi. 5-10 minute access to tram, Ubahn and Sbahn. Lots of different types of stores and restaurants and bakeries within 10 minutes walk. Look out for cyclists in neighborhood (true for many parts of Berlin). Some small stores and restaurants nearby were open on Sunday.

Quiet and convenient

For me it's not a problem, but the hotel only accepts cash.

I've come here every year for five years while on business. It's quiëtist, comfortable, and close to the S-Bahn. Friendly staff.

Private parking is only for some "elite" I guess...

It says private parking. But we were told to park on the street for 1EUR per hour. Even when we asked if we could change coins for the parking machine we were told it is not possible. When we were paying at the end for the stay, some other people were paying for private parking 5EUR a day. WTH?! Why couldn't we use the private parking as well? This is the reason for such a poor review. I can't believe this is possible in Berlin, I thought this wouldn't be a thing even in Thailand, but in Berlin???

Close to U-bahn and Tram. It is perfectly fine to stay there if you plan sightseeing in the city. Where ever you stay, you will move by public transport so it does not matter if you take subway for 2 more stops.

Good value for money. We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Mattress needs replacing, as it was lumpy and a bit uncomfortable. Breakfast items run out or arrived late after we finished (e.g. rolls and eggs on Sunday). On arrival we had to wait for sometime outside until someone opened.

Very good breakfast with plenty of choice. Great central location not far from the city center and within easy reach of public transport. Accommodation was quiet with no noise from traffic . Room was nice and clean and not too small either. Friendly staff, the pencils and paper to occupy our toddler so we could finish breakfast was very much appreciated.

It was very expensive room for the level of comfort offered, i.e. hotel Bornholmer not to recommend.

maybe we had a bad luck with the room, but when arrived in the room No:7 (Friday evening) it was very cold inside because the radiator was working on only about 5% of capacity and, additionally, in the bathroom was no hot water. As on the reception were not able to repair the radiator or to offer an other room, we had to stay in it. Tomorrow morning (Saturday) hot water arrived and radiator started to work on about 20% of capacity.On our repeated request the receptionist made an additional repair by releasing the air from the radiator and it started to work on about 40% capacity. As we were very busy outside during our stay in Berlin, we used our room only to sleep over nights, so the temperature of about 16-17 C in the room had to be accepted. As we stayed 1 more night in the same hotel (it was not practical to move to the other place for only 1 night), we mentioned that the heating reached already almost 60% of the radiator.

Fairly good breakfast

The location in the ring is really good in the same way that...

They refuse to accept the payment by credit card, ONLY CASH when it is stated clearly that you can pay with card. The only alternative option they left me it was to write my credit card details in a piece of paper that anyone could copy. For that reason I had to go for an ATM and pay and exorbitant commission (almost 5 euros) in order to get the money... I dont know how BOOKING allow this kind of behaviour about false conditions of the Hotel. Other topic, you will need extra socks or a pullover by night. The temperature by night (with everything closed) was really low and my partner now has a cold due to this.

The location in the ring is really good in the same way that the breakfast is fantastic (buffet with a lot of options: fruits, meat, jams, hams, cereals...). The staff in the morning is awesome specially the girl that is controlling the breakfast. The facilities are small but correct and clean.

Very nice area, poor service, NO CREDIT CARDS ACCEPTED

They did not have enough staff.Dirty dishes were accumulating in the breakfast area and the reception was frequently unattended, even during the day. Nobody is there in the evening or at night. They do not accept credit cards. I asked them if they could make an exception, because I was staying for 11 nights, and that means having to go to the ATM on 2 different days ( my daily limit is 500 Euro) and walking around with a lot of cash in your pocket.They told me on two occasions that I could use my credit card, but 2 days before I was leaving, I got a note from them saying I had to pay in cash, my credit card wasn't working. ( It had worked just fine in restaurant and stores.) When I booked my room through booking.com, it was mentioned in the confirmation email that credit cards were accepted. I think they should avoid this incorrect information. Because of the inconvenience with the credit card I don't think I would return to tis hotel,but definitely to this neighborhood which I found very charming and authentic.

My room was nice, neat new furniture and very quiet. The staff on the reception friendly. Location very nice in Prenzlauer Berg, far from touristic areas, but easy to reach Berlin Mitte and all the sightseeing spots by UBahn/S-Bahn within 10 - 15 minutes with good connection every 3 minutes. Easy to get to the airport. Lots of nice cafes, bistros and inexpensive restaurants in walking distance, mostly frequented by locals, as well as grocery stores and a mall near the hotel. The breakfast was good with a fairly good selection.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

Great local hotel at this budget

Although there is wifi, we had neither phone nor wifi signal in our room.

We arrived early, but our room was ready, so we were allowed to check in straight away. The breakfast is plentiful with a good variety.

Great value for money, well connected

The place is located a little outside the centre but very well connected, tram and U/S-bahn at the footsteps, short walk away. The staff was very helpful and understanding (luggage storage, late check-in). The breakfast was great and gives a good kick for a long day. The hotel is in the inner yard which makes it very quiet. If I come to Berlin next time, I would stay here as well.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

The demon-child of Bornholmer Hof

The weirdest work of 'Art' in my room. Luckily I'm not of a nervous disposition but it looked like a badly drawn demon-child. And it was a copy from a photo of a painting.

Breakfast was ample. Place was quiet and well heated.

• Reviewed: 24 January 2017

the breakfast was very god, the bed was comfortable, but...

I dind´t like the fact that in the first place, there was no receptionist when I got to the hotel late, at like 10.30 pm, ad so I had to call the number that was outside the door, so that i COULD GET INTO THE HOTEL, the lady that answered talked a confusing english, and in order to get the key it was really like the game the treasure hunt! and I was so tired, because I couldn´t find the room easily they were also numbered in a difficult way! So I found out that there were no receptionist the 24 hours a day, just a few hours only in the morning. the second thing, was that y room was not as I asked and as bookinf offered me, a double bed, the beds were too small, and the room freezing! cause the heater didnt work, so I coudn sleep at all really!!, the next day I told the housekeeper, cause there was no receptionist, to change me the room, and so when she realized that the heater didnt work she gave me at last a much better room with heater and nice view, and clean, the other room has dust. the other thing was that they sent e a note saying that I had to pay cash and booking told in the w,page that they accpeted Credit cards! so I had to tell the that i only had a redit card to pay, and they had to accept, but it was uncomfortable an way to recceive that prepotent note, etc, I wast happy because the information booking gave me dindt match with what I´ve found, and this is also a responsability of booking.com

the breakfast was very god, the bed was comfortable, but because I had to ask for another room, because the first one was not double as I asked, was freezing ´cause the heater didn´t work, and the room had dust , it was not completely clean, I cliamed and that´s why they gave me another room

All information is in German even a phone number u need to...

All information is in German even a phone number u need to call if have late check in and that's a problem for not German travelers(it also a problem if u have no local phone card). That was a problem to get inside because all doors was locked but fortunately we met another travelers who spoke German and helped us. It was super cold in the room, even when heater was on max, and the blanket was supper short.

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

Location, was quiet also considering being quite central

i hurt my leg prior to arriving and was in a lot of pain, there was no elevator and we were on the 2nd floor, also the breakfast room was rerally busy as if there was not enough space and then on checkout we discovered another breakfast room not in use.

Location, was quiet also considering being quite central

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Good and not expensive

Notice: if you arriving late, you need call to receptionist during working time. And you can not used parking night.

Very good breakfast, all is pretty clean, not bad location - supermarkets and other shops very close. Subway in a few minutes walk. Very silent, windows to yard. There is the car parking is and it is not expencive.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

Great hotel close to transport links & cafes

There was no fan or air condition in the room - it can be quite hot when there is a heatwave

The location of the hotel was close to tram & train station. Lots of great restaurants nearby and clean rooms.

The reception works only till 20:00. if you come later you have good chance to sleep in the street!

We came after 20:00pm and no receptionist was there. It took us a very long time and high costs to get our room because of this! Even this fact is mentioned in the www site, it is written in line 24, which I did not succeed to read. In a case of such important info, it should be written in bold caps in the first lines!!!

The size of the room and the breakfast

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

A great place to stay in Prenzlauer Berg, very good breakfast, nicely connected :)

I arrived very late (after 1:00am) and the lady was very calm and understanding on the phone. She gave me crisp and clear instructions on how to get in and what to do next. Excellent service! The hotel is very well connected to anything you might want to visit in Berlin.

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

Quiet hotel close to public transportation

House keeping forgot to lock the room door. Cleaning was done rather late and was not very thorough. Found old brochures behind the bedside table from earlier guests. Carpet was not very clean. My suggestion is to remove it. No credit card, only cash accepted! But this is surprisingly the standard in almost all of Germany.

Nice and large room. Really quiet at night and morning, although the residents in the building were noisy up until 11 o'clock pm, but after that very quiet. Nice breakfast. Close to public transportations and good food in nearby restaurants. Clean bathroom and nice to have free water, fruit and coffee in the evening. Really good bed as well.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

Lovely place but might need a few miniature adjustments to make for an excellent stay.
    • Quadruple Room

For a room of 4 people there was one roll of toilet paper and no soap in the soap dispenser. The breakfast was good but the tables weren't cleaned after other guests. (2 tables aren't hard to clean). Credit card machine was broken.

Dark curtains, soft beds, lovely neighbourhood.

Arrogant manager !!!

Poor WiFi .. breakfast too poor !

Cleanness

Breakfast ok

No elevator

Breakfast ok

4th visit

Friendly staff

Good breakfast.

Good breakfast.

Clean, central good value for the money.

There was a problem with the wifi in the room.

Clean, central good value for the money.

Toplocatie,tophotel

Entree

Rust, ligging

Good hotel in respect of price/location/locomotion.

The neighborhood, the path front the front door to the hotel entrance.

Cleaning and comfort

They accept only cash, the low bandwith renders the WiFi...

They accept only cash, the low bandwith renders the WiFi unusable.

Having to pay with cash

Having to pay with cash

Excellent value for money accommodation

Warm welcome, excellent clean room, quiet About half mile walk to SBahn station

Very good value for money

Noise coming from the corridor early in the morning

Varied buffet breakfast

This is more like a hostel, it's misleading to call it a...

This is more like a hostel, it's misleading to call it a hotel. Also, needs to be stated that payment is cash only.

Satisfactoey

reception desk only from 10 AM till 8 PM

very good breakfast - friendly staff

Clean room, no frills.

Ability to pay with credit card.

Clean room, no frills. Perfect for what we needed at the right price.

• Reviewed: 1 April 2017

Very good value

At this price nothing'

Breakfasts were very good. Price was excellent- really good value

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

It was ok

No sheets. They only provide a thin blanket.

Breakfast is very good. Also water preasure is perfect.

• Reviewed: 2 February 2017

Parking was not accessable after 8pm

No information when we arriveD there was no reception.

No information when we arriveD there was no reception. No explanation of anything.

It isn't a real hotel!!

Totally nothing

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

I liked the room.

I liked the room. It was a big and light room with a little balcony.

• Reviewed: 3 May 2016

Hotel appeared a bit under-staffed in the morning, with one...

Hotel appeared a bit under-staffed in the morning, with one person taking care of both the reception and breakfast preparations. It was no problem for me, but maybe had been if I had been in a bigger hurry to complete my checkout.

• Reviewed: 15 March 2016

Breakfast was reasonable.

Reception was closed two hours early but opened again after 15 minutes of waiting. Reception told us we had only one room instead of two. When I started to dial Booking.com they suddenly had two rooms available. We made a reservation for two double rooms but got one nice double room and one very small single room (8 m2). Reception told us we had reservations for two single rooms and got the double one as a bonus. That is really not very customer friendly. So much money for such a small room. I really booked two large rooms. Sheets are not allergy free. I had to wear pajamas. Pillow was to soft, it got me neck and headaches. The shower and toilet are very small. Showering without turning off the water accidentally is nearly impossible. Water basin is not inside the bathroom but inside the room. So is the tooth brush etc. We coud sleep well for two nights. Saturday evening one of the neighbors started a carpenter shop (hammering and sawing) with the music loud. Sleeping was impossible. It stopped around 6 in the morning when the first planes arrived at the Berlin airport. Although breakfast was quite OK, the corn flakes were far out of date. You must pay by cash. Any credit card is not accepted.

Breakfast was reasonable. U, S and tram were quite near the hotel. The double room was nice. Mattras was good. Good Thai restaurant nearby.

• Reviewed: 8 February 2016

Nice room, well located place.

The battery of the smoke detector was depleting and it beeps whole night. I mentioned to the staff when it starts beeping. She told me that she would change the battery. I thought that it would be immediately not the following day. :-( Also the answer for my questions via booking was slow.

Nice room, well located place.

• Reviewed: 7 February 2016

The room was very quiet - it overlooked a beautiful mosaic...

Difficult to find - street numbers are strange and hotel entrance is from a central courtyard. I wasn't aware that there was no reception after 8pm. The hotel is a labyrinth inside - more signposts needed, especially if you arrive in the dark! Photo on website doesn't correspond to what you see from the main street.

The room was very quiet - it overlooked a beautiful mosaic mural within kindergarten grounds. Breakfast very good. Basic but functional bedroom, well-designed bathroom; overall good use of available space.

• Reviewed: 28 November 2015

Quiet location, clean, value for money.

Lack of lift (lots of stairs if on top floor)

Quiet location, clean, value for money. At first the location doesn't seem great but the U2 line is very handy and only 5-10 minutes walk.

• Reviewed: 10 November 2015

Comfortable, quiet, we brought our bicycles with and could...

Had to pay cash. Not a problem as a European, but might be for someone coming from outside of Europe.

Comfortable, quiet, we brought our bicycles with and could park them in the hotel courtyard, and easily get to anywhere in the city.

• Reviewed: 13 August 2015

I loved the apartment, it was great in many ways, it was...

The bad things were that we never get the password for the wifi when we got the keys and when we went back to the hotell reception to get it no one was there to help us... And there was nearly no toilet paper left for us when we came there, and there nothing to wash the disches with and no soup in the toilet or shampoo in the shower. Lucky for us we have the supermarket near so we bought the things we needed :) But the wifi is wery important.

I loved the apartment, it was great in many ways, it was central , it was high in the roof, and it was near a supermarket and near a great greece restaurant,overall it was lovely!

• Reviewed: 25 March 2015

Wonderfully quiet place located just a short walk away from...

Breakfast was dissapointing- a wide selection of the cheapest food available. I would have preferred to have had less choice, but of a better quality.

Wonderfully quiet place located just a short walk away from the subway station. I had a nice room with a balcony and was able to extend my stay for an extra night without any problems.

• Reviewed: 17 February 2015

Relatively reasonable, located not so far from S-Bahn...

The room is old and the beakfast is very basic but it's ok level.

Relatively reasonable, located not so far from S-Bahn station. Confortable bed, well-functioning heating and shower.

• Reviewed: 29 May 2016

Wifi reception was very poor, almost impossible to keep a...

Wifi reception was very poor, almost impossible to keep a signal

• Reviewed: 28 March 2016

The staff was very helpful and the bed was very comfortable.

The staff was very helpful and the bed was very comfortable. The room was clean. They have a very good breakfast.

• Reviewed: 27 March 2016

Everything!

Everything! Especially the breakfast ...

• Reviewed: 16 August 2015

• Reviewed: 12 July 2015

Close to city center, nice italian restaurant nearby

Close to city center, nice italian restaurant nearby

• Reviewed: 16 April 2015

Facilities and thickness of a door

There are also 26 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Bornholmer Hof im Prenzlauer Berg traveller photo gallery