Reviews of City-Hotel München This is the official star rating given to the property by an independent third party - the Hotelstars Union. The property is compared to the industry standard and scored based on price, facilities and services offered. Use the star rating to help choose your stay!

Schillerstrasse 3a, Ludwigsvorstadt, 80336 Munich, Germany

#253 of 349 hotels in Munich

Well, I guess there's nothing wrong with the hotel if you pay around Eur 70-80/night. It's just that during the trade show times, the prices are extremely high and similarly your expectations are higher. The staff were helpful if you needed them but the breakfast wasn't good at all.

The property neighborhood is a bit shady, though location is opposite of hbf station. The air-conditioning was not working properly.

Room sizes are good, reception staff is good, well laid out breakfast.

Had aircon, but was noisy even on low fan and did not cool the room even after a couple of hours. Had to open windows and street noise very loud. Triple glazed so quiet when closed but then got hot through night and aircon to noisy to sleep with. In cooler season not a problem.

Good central location only a few minutes walk from the Hauptbahnhof and with access to the U & S Bahn at the end of the street. Great breakfast included in the price with usual German deli items and brot but also scrambled and boiled eggs, bacon and both München weisswurst and frankfurt too, along with cereals. Room clean and fit out OK if a bit dated.

The room seemed a bit dirty. Could improve the housekeeping.

The location was right next to the train station and within walking distance to tourist areas. Breakfast was included and was decent.

Like a lot of hotels near Railway stations these days you have to be alert, but we had no trouble at all.

Very close to the train station, Hotel easy to spot at the better end of the street. Breakfast very good, all staff helpful and friendly. Bed good, our room quiet. Its an easy direct walk into the main pedestrian mall from the hotel. Most attractions are walkable.

One thing only: Munich can be be quite hot in summer (or almost summer), and the air conditioner wasn't quite working... It was stuck in ventilation mode, apparently. Maybe it was only my room, maybe not, but just to let people know. I still could sleep fine! There is one thing I think should be said: If you are "sensitive" to sexual contents for personal, familial, religious, or whatever reasons; The hotel is located pretty close to a lot of Strip Clubs. Again, I had no problems with it, they were standing there, doing me no harm, and it's not like you have prostitutes on the streets or anything "low-level" at all, but I think it's only fair that people should know about these things!

It's a nice central hotel, perfect for trips by train - you are literally 50 steps from München Hauptbahnhof - and from there to Marienplatz and pretty much anywhere in the city. The room was quite large, for a City Centre Hotel, as was the lavatory. Also, the double bed made it a good king-size bed, wonderful to spread as much as you want despite your significant's half despicable habit of cover-thieving. The breakfast is pretty good as well, so if you also usually skip lunch to save time, it's a really good place to stuff up before hitting the road! Although it's located in a fairly busy street just adjacent to the main station, I couldn't hear a thing in my room, so I had an excellent night sleep there!

The area despite convenient was a tad bit seedy with strip clubs and beggers... However this was to be expected and it doesn't outweigh the positives of the hotel.

Great location - right next to the central train station. Great value. Only a 20 minute walk to the main centre.

Not impressed at all with the staff. The man at the front desk was grumpy. My husband has MS and asked for more pillows and at first he said they didn’t have any. Finally he grudgingly brought us up a couple and only smiled when my husband gave him a tip. The breakfast staff looked sad and careworn, like the part of the city this hotel is in. But the frumpy woman at the front desk in the morning was hell on wheels. I first saw her when she came into the breakfast room and told the staff, as if she were talking to lower life forms, “ Ten people are coming in to eat RIGHT NOW!” She was very rude to them. As we passed the front desk on the way back to our room she was angrily dismissing another employee with a shooing motion of her hand. I then heard her impatiently talking to a potential guest in English: “I didn’t ask you when you were LEAVING. I asked you when you were ARRIVING!” When I returned the key to the front desk she was glaring at a computer screen and shaking her head in anger. If I owned that hotel no way would I want that woman working for me.

The location was great. We came in to Munich one afternoon and went out on the train the next and it was the perfect location. Breakfast was also good

The lobby is small and rather dark. The lobby might give you a negative impression. The area surrounding the hotel, near the central station, is a bit seedy, but you can quickly walk to nearby attractive areas of Munich.

City-Hotel Munich was so much nicer than I expected. I paid 100 euros for a superior double room. The room was very large and very clean. It was nicely bright. It was quiet. There was a "view" out onto a little courtyard. I asked for a bathrobe, and one was quickly brought to the room. One of the desk clerks was extremely cheerful and upbeat. The breakfast also exceeded my expectations. There was a much better buffet than usual for a hotel at this price level.

Area seedy. Surrounded by lap dance clubs therefore quite a few undesirable, noisy punters around. No car park though advertised as there. Had to park in multi story which was fine for us as able bodied but chose hotel as had 85 yr old mother with us!

Location for convenience. Staff were lovely on reception and in breakfast room. Breakfast was good and rooms were clean.

The location was noisy and was a little seedy. Lap dance clubs seem to surround the hotel so attracted the seedier tourist. Air conditioning in the rooms didn’t work, just seemed to be a fan blowing hot air around. Car parking was advertised as being available but didn’t exist. We had to park in the story car park round the back. No problem for us but we did choose this hotel as we had my elderly 85 yr old mother with us! Also weren’t told that we had to get parking ticket stamped by hotel to obtain a discount!

The locations as it was in the middle of Munich. Though the area was much to be desired. Breakfast was adequate. Plenty of choice. Staff on reception and in the breakfast room were lovely especially gentleman in reception on the Saturday of our stay.

Location is perfect...just 1 minute from the central station and a 10 minute walk from marienplatz. Plenty of shops around, including 3 supermarkets within 2 minutes walking distance. Staff was lovely and greeted me nicely every time I went in or out of the hotel. Breakfast was good, best scrambled eggs I have had in a hotel.

The staff were not friendly. The fridge in our room was not working and they just ignored our request. A person come to check the fridge one day he saw was not working and he tried to convince us that will work later and we have to wait.

Close to the train station and the breakfast was very good.

Facilities in bad condition, grim staff, shower in bas condition, wifi not functioning most of the time, we were charged by our visa which had been given to Booking.com only to secure our reservation.

Its location

With the windows open, the bedroom was a little noisy at night due to music from a nearby club.

The hotel is only 5 minutes walk from the main station. It is clean and bright and modern. Neighbourhood is slightly sleazy,but not a worry. Rooms are clean,comfortable and spacious. Staff are friendly and helpful. We enjoyed the buffet breakfasts.

the bed wasn't so good and the pillows are so fluffy like empty. On my floor the wifi signal wasn't available at all.

Air Conditioning was loud and not effective enough, so we ended up opening the window to get some fresh air (in a pretty loud neighbourhood)

Location, breakfast.

Towels in the bedroom were nearing the end of life state

We had no view, but in all other respects the hotel was ideal for a short stay. The staff were all helpful and friendly.

Only issue was a slight smell of cigarettes, even though my room and those around it were all non smoking rooms.

The location, close to the Hauptbahnhof, is excellent and the staff were helpful. I arrived well before normal check in time but as my room was ready I was able to checking and then get out and about! It was also easy to store my luggage on departure day. Breakfast was nice too. I'm also very fussy about beds and these were excellent. Hotel was pretty quiet for a city centre location.

No working air conditioner and it was already hot weather. The area is surrounded by a lot of Arabic shops and clubs but we got used to it after the first day and we had no trouble with that.

Perfect stay. Very close to the Main Train station, Tourist areas and Tours Pick up point (Karstadt Department Stores). Great Breakfast and the staff was very friendly and helpful particularly a gentleman who checked us in and out.

Maybe it was timing, our airconditioning and fridge did not work. They could not repair them Or replace them nor was there any other room available for change of room. Should have repair facilities immediately or replacement. We stayed 4 days

Location is great, next to the train station and tourist information. A little walk to the main square, but a pleasant one.

The wifi wasn’t great, the air conditioner didn’t work. We requested a double bed and it was 2 single beds pushed together!

Great location and good breakfast

We picked this hotel mainly from its location (only a 3 minute walk to the main station) even though we were skeptical about other guests' reviews about the sketchy neighbourhood. But we found the area quite safe. The staffs were very nice and helpful. We stayed here for 4 nights and didn't choose to have breakfast at the hotel since there were so many breakfast places nearby, especially at the station.

The fridge was not turned on and the front cover of the fridge was a piece of cardboard, TV had mediocre stations and the hotel is located in an area where there are a lot of strip clubs and loud music can be heard during the night. The room was pretty hot and the "AC" was not working correctly.

The bed was comfortable and the room was cleaned daily. Hotel was within walking distance to Munich center and to the train station.

All good though coffee-making facility in the room would have been nice.

Comfortable room, one particularly helpful guy at reception and great breakfast. So handy for the station and the city centre.

The breakfast was very good with many, many options. The location so close to the main train station was very convenient. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the air conditioning worked great. Good place for the money for a quick one night stay after an overseas flight from the US.

- located close to turkish ghetto - can be noisy on friday/saturday nights - the refrigerator wasn't working - the safe was broken - the air conditioner was not working correctly (no cooling) - there was terrible smell of cigarettes inside the room ALL the time

Nice location (near the main train station), 7 mins on foot to the old town. It is very easy to go to any place in town by any transport. Very good breakfast. The room itself is nice and has all the necessary equipment.

• Deluxe Room

Everything worked smoothly and was exactly as we expected. Fortunately, we booked the room overlooking the courtyard, because the street is quite noisy!

We liked the room, service, friendly staff, location and breakfast.

Hmm, maybe some renovation is needed, interior has a frowsty ambiance. Suprisingly on May Day morning there was a window washer man with lifting equipment behind the window already at 8 am looking in to room. After first surprice the room cleaner wanted to entry into room.

The location of the hotel is fantastic - just 2 min from the railway station and therefore easy to find and come also with the luggage. Room was clean with very comfortable bed. Good and tasty meat lovers Bavarian breakfast - vegetarians were as well satisfied with :-)

The wifi was not very impressive, so please invest to fix this. It was also very annoying that I kept having to log in, which gets old when you have multiple devices. I was not so happy with the bedding - the pillows were too big and flat and the comforter was too warm. Please encourage the staff working the reception to be nicer. The men working the reception desk were far friendlier than the women. I liked the safe in the room but it's a little complicated to sort out.

Great location. Comfortable bed. Sizeable room. Good number of power outlets. Nice that there is a built in luggage rack. Right there at the main train station so plenty of options for eating out and public transportation was easy to access from the hotel. I didn't mind the ethnic mix of people on the street or the strip club.

Air conditioner did not work, street noise was horrendous. Next to a strip bar and their patrons were in the street partying until about 4 am, thus the only option and open window was not good.

The only good thing I can say was that it was relatively clean, but very warn and in need of repair.

To be honest on this forum, I did have a couple of issues such as my room key didn't always work and the fridge was broken. Staff offered me another room but I declined. They brought me ice every evening. The staff at City Hotel, Munich is as good as I have ever had the pleasure to meet. The breakfast was perfect.

Loved the location, close to the train station which was great for going to other cities and easy walk to old town. Short walk to Hop Off and On bus tours. Room was awesome, breakfast choices were excellent staff were friendly and helpful.

Somewhat seedy area....strip clubs etc. Neighborhood NOT locals. Never felt unsafe, but like stated before, just a little shady.

Close to train station, walking distance to Marienplatz

The a/c was not working properly and it was a bit warm. We opened the window, however, and we were comfortable.

The staff were fantastic, friendly, and helpful. A lunch was packed for us the day that we left at 6am for the airport because we wouldn't be there for breakfast! Very comfortable and close to everything.

Extremely NOISY street. A/C in room didn't work, had to sleep with open window to that very noisy street.

Good logistics as close to train station. Most of staff was friendly.

Got charged twice, didn’t get a refund. Although I got an email that I am getting credit for my next stay, when I asked for it I got a very very rude reply from the desk. I left screaming and I will NEVER use them again. Too bad for them as I was a client for almost 20 years...

If, like me, you like your pillows sturdy, just ask reception for some extra.

The staff went above and beyond to ensure our room met our expectations. The breakfast was excellent and the hotel is in an excellent location to explore the city from.

• Deluxe Room

Wifi keeps cutting off.

We booked a garden view room which was very spacious and included tea and coffee making facilities. The room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was ok. Transport connections to/from the airport and tourist sights are easily accessible from the hotel- trams/busses/ metro are within a 3 minute walk. Plenty of food options nearby too.

Bad attitude towards client needs and rigid management.

Very bad and unsupportive management both from the general manager and the reception clerk towards client. I was put in trouble due to the false and inaccurate info regarding the parking slot, who was an important fact for me to choose this hotel.

The only problem was the location. Although situated next to the central station which is great and makes the trip much easier, the neibourghood there was not so good. Sex shop, bayern fans bar and all shorts of arabic shops next to the hotel. I cannot imagine what happens during the after-hours, since many drunk fellows were on the street all day.

All was very good inside the hotel. Clean, cozy and had everything that one may possible want for a short stay in Munich. Also the actual center of the city is within walking distance. Perfect sound protection of the room and the personel very friendly.

My room was very noisy. The free parking was accessed by a car elevator (very strange, and not very convenient). Finally, my room smelled strongly of curry. When I reported it to the front desk, they already knew about the issue. They said there is nothing they can do about it. Gross.

The hotel is located directly across from the train station, easily accessible by public transportation. Free parking was provided. The (included) breakfast was hearty, with lots of variety.

Not the best neighbour but otherwise everything was fine. There was not much atmosphere. No bar or pleasant areas to sit/relax.

Staff where polite and helpful. Near to the train and subway station.

I've asked for a wake up call at 4AM, but no one called me.

Very convenient hotel that is really close to the Hauptbahnhof Muenchen. Wifi was really good.

Although it was really good, the breakfast was the same for the whole week You just have one key of the room

Great breakfast - way better than I expected. Really well located hotel, close to the central station. As expected, not the most beautiful neighborhood in the city (but I guess that is true for most cities in the world).

both evening reception staff have poor manners, lift was down amd not working for half a day and almost all items in the room were not working ie tv, heater and safe box.

Convenient private parking; good proximity to the city center. The gentleman at the reception and the assistants were very helpful. Good value for money.

Aircon wasn’t working and although I’m happy to sleep with the window open the noise from the pub next door was disturbing

Location was great and snagged a park out the front

Access to the parking was difficult as the entrance was blocked and we could not easily park on the street, which is very narrow and crowded. Hotel is old and quality of the rooms is outdated.

Hotel is well located and staff is nice and helpful.

The pillows were a bit too thick

Nice hotel with very friendly staff. I enjoyed my stay. I was traveling alone and as a woman I did not find the location of the hotel too bad, I never felt in danger when going back to the hotel at night.

It's accessible to the main central station. Very near and no worries to go any landmarks if using the public transportation. The room is quite big and very clean. I love the facilities arrangement.

The wifi was intermittent with passwords changed without informing clients. The phone in room did not work. The promised satellite channels were all in German.

The staff were very friendly and particularly the breakfast room staff were helpful.

Reception is a big bit dated, Breakfast not included in our first two days of stay but included in third day of stay, needless to say we were not aware of this or told about it by hotel of BOOKING.COM.

Location very central, very close to central station, large room, spotlessly clean, 24 hour manned reception.

The room was very warm, we had to sleep with the window open.

The room was spacious and clean and was equipped with everything I like to find in a hotel room: comfortable beds, a functional bathroom, plenty of wardrobe space, a desk, chairs, enough sockets for all our devices and reasonably good Wifi. The wonderfully central location made it easy to get around Munich, and every single member of the staff we met was friendly and helpful. Despite the somewhat seedy neighbourhood I would not hesitate to stay there again!

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Bathroom not overly clean. As well as a lot of hotels in this street there are also a lot of strip clubs so I wouldn't recommend families with children stay in this street (Schillerstrasse).

Very friendly staff, good location right in the centre of town and 2 mins walk from the main train station

good location, close to railway station and public transport, small restaurants around. Room facing backyard is very quiet although hotel is in a very busy area. Nice and polite hotel staff.

Door only shuts when you pull it. Not a big deal, we just noticed that.

Very nice room and bathroom, clean, very caring and friendly staff. Close to the central station and 10min walk from all the great places (old town). Yummy breakfast

Nothing negative to report, your well-managed middle-class German hotel inside the Munchen red-light district, very close to the old city center, main train station, bars, restaurants, within walking distance (20 mins) of the Deutsches Museum - biggest science and tech museum in the world. Recommend having a beer at the next-to-the-hotel Schiller Cafe, an iconic place visited by big sports stars both German and international (Muhammad Ali, Tyson etc) - nice visit for any sports fan.

Good break-fast quality

The booking out receptionist ( Female) was very aggressive, she was very nasty to the man who was sorting out tickets on our left luggage, he was very helpful, she was dam right rude. Breakfast was very good food wise but very chaotic, staff very disorganised.

Really nice accommodation. Reception staff evening excellent, Rooms very spacious & comfortable, hotel situated in just the right place for what we came for ( Christmas Markets). Breakfast very good . a very pleasant stay. Thanks M . Uk

Bad smell in the room (similar to curry), even after cleaning Thin layer of white dust in room V warm - blower only blowing hot air, and had to sleep with windows wide open Areas ard Munich HBf has many drunk people at night

V close to Munich HBf Room relatively large for price paid

Internet was not working in my room. There were also 2 bulbs of the lamps not working, what causes a very bad first impression. It took 1hs 30 mins to find me a new room, which made me miss a conference call and my dinner. The breakfast was very well equipped, but the juice in the salad fruit was too watery. The coffee was not good either, bit thermo bottles with cheap coffee. Not cappuccino or latte option. The room smelled to kitchen. There were no toilette products (only shower gel). The location is practical because is close to the main station and to the U5 (metro), and there are lots of fast food places in the nearby, but its also full of night clubs with hot dancers. Not very friendly to walk during the night. The hotel doesn't have a comfy reception nor a bar or restaurant. The wifi was asking me to connect every time I came back to the hotel. It's also an external service, so I don't know if they were tracking my activity, or wether the connection was even secure.

The breakfast started early at 7:30, so it's good if you start your activities around 8:30-9hs. The staff tried to solve the initial problem with wifi. Although it took more than one hour, they were doing their best (the problem was bad technical infrastructure). In the room there was a desk to use your laptop, and two chairs. The beds were very comfy.

The location is not great. The hotel is in a dodgy area near the train station. There's a lot of street action going on.

The rooms are relatively new, and the hotel is close to the train station.

The room was hot! We couldn't turn it down... not sure what the go was there - I suppose we could have asked the staff for help but we just opened the window instead. The keys could do with some updating - they have bulky keyrings on them so it's not easy to carry them around - but we just handed them back to reception each day so that solved that problem!

The breakfast was delicious! I loved the pickles, cheese and cold meats! The room was very functional - the beds were comfortable, there was plenty of room for luggage and generous closet for hanging. A nice full length mirror outside the bathroom aswell :) The staff are so helpful with everything! It really was a pleasure to stay. We were there for Oktoberfest - the grounds were only a 10 min walk away so it was very handy - and located right next to one of the entrances to the main train station so it was simple getting to and from the airport.

Many strip clubs, homeless people and drug addicts near the hotel, so to get to hotel is not very nice..

Near city center (5 minutes by foot). There is main train station and metro station near the hotel. Rooms are clean, quiet and big.

Lift is tiny. Booked for 3 people, but only 2 beds provided. Want us to pay extra 20 euros/night for extra portable bed. The extra bed was not comfortable. Don't have this issue with all other hotels throughout our month long Europe trip booked in the same way.

Breakfast is provided with good choices. Good location being near the Munich HBF train station.

City Hotel did not have a reservation in my name for which I paid way in advavce. Since not reservation record - no credit on earlier payment. Appreciate your research / comments what happened.

Shower was not good. Our room faced the street and people were yelling outside at 6am. Check in guy was not pleasant. Breakfast was okay. Overpriced in my opinion.

Location was great. Very close to train station and hop on hop off tour.

No tea making facility.

Hotel was nice , the area around it could look a bit scary at night, bars and a strip club. Hotel Staff very friendly. A good base for the trips we had booked. Breakfast was excellent . very good choice. Would stay there again.

The water temperature for the shower was fluctuating and difficult to adjust.

The staff was very helpful. The breakfast was good and in a nice setting.

cleaning can be better

ı liked the breakfast and location. this hotel is very close to the city center and the public transportation. staff is very kind and helpfull.

Although a non-smoking hotel, could often smell smoke most times we walked out into passageway from room. Location was a bit rough around hotel but safe enough

Location was convenient to the train station and city. Room was comfortable.

Carpets smelt Area wasn't nice a bit dodgy Aircon in room had smoke coming out of it and only when we asked did the reception then tel us there was a problem in their service level so smoke can through the aircon unit

Proximity to train station Bed and bathroom clean

The street area feels a bit rough at night, nothing to worry I would believe, especially if you are back before midnight. Being Oktoberfest week, price per night was high!

Very comfortable hotel with big rooms and breakfast included. The location is 3-5 minute walk from the main train station. Oktoberfest is nearby! You can even catch the Underground and cut the time to only 10 min. Staff was ok, helping us with the bag storage at arrival and departure.

Right from the start we were handed old fashioned keys which were required to be left at the reception every time we left, we god a paper with written room number which we had to show to get the key back. When we entered the room, we found 3 beds, which was all covered in small black hairs. The bed sheets were tidy, but was sloppy with wrinkled sheets. We informed the staff about the hairs when we got back down, he had a radio which he called afterwards and we then expected it to be taken care of by the time we got back, which it wasn't . Still hairs on the same places. We had to clean them up ourselves. The bathroom looked nice at first sight, but just about everything had some malfunction. The toilet had a flush button with a "stop" button as well, which required multiple tries before it worked. Usually you had to try for about a minute before the water finally stopped. The sink had a soap dispenser which either was empty, or didn't work. Had to use soap from the shower dispenser. The shower head was broken and had water come from both the back and the front of it. We was here for Oktoberfest and have stayed other places before were the staff was dressed to the occation and hotel was beautiful decorated. There was hardly any decorations here, apart for colored napkins, and the staff never bothered with dirndl or lederhosen themselves. Oh yea, and the room stinked of cigarette smoke, and the last night we were waked up by a fireman in full gear coming in to the room. Someone had apparently set of a silent fire alarm!

The best thing was probably the breakfast, but the tables were set for 4 and were a little tight. The food was great though. Also, the location was great in regards to walking distance to main train station, Oktoberfest and the rest of the city.

Staff. A hold was out on my card and because the staff was not able to find the paper work i was forced to pay the full rate while i still had a hold on my money. As i booked 5 rooms during peak season, this was a hold of over 2000 euro. Leaving me without a much spening cash. The card machine was also having problems and instead of explaining to be, i recieved an angry grunt and said its not possible. This was no fault of my own. The staff misplaced the paper work for my deposit. As a result i went to a cash machine to take out the payment in cash on the exact same card. This is not isolated to just the check out. On multiple occasions i called head to make sure of room confirmations and i had very unfriendly phone manner. Only one staff member was very helpful. He advised me his name was richard, so thank you to him.

Rooms were clean and suitable for our 3 night stay