Reviews of Cityhotel Storch

Gladbacher Straße 32, Neustadt Nord, 50672 Cologne, Germany

#184 of 223 hotels in Cologne

6.2

The bathroom was incredibly small. The reception staff did not speak English. The room was not worth the value before money. During breakfast I was singled out by one of the staff and asked the room number and continuously stared at which was unjustified and uncomfortable.

The breakfast was ok.

The woman in reception she was there and we was trying to talk to her for check in but she said wait there and let us for 30 minutes waiting and she still speaking in Telefon and then after she said how many days are you here , she had no idea who im and how long and what for booking , plus she said ur room didn’t cleaned yet and not ready it was 12:00. And normally check it in booking says 11:00 i can check in ! That was totally Chaos!

The room and the single bed was a bit too small - there was no wardrobe, only some hangers were hanging from a rod. It was difficult to get good flow of cold water from the tap or the shower in the bathroom.

The hotel is conveniently located in Mediapark, 3 minutes walk from the nearest Tram station and 15-20 minutes from the Central Station & Cathedral. The small single room and the attached bathroom was clean and bright.

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

For that quality, location, product, I consider price is too expensive and they should not charge also for a pet! Little room with shower inside. Only one toilet for many rooms. Very noisy. Maintenance man was doing a lot of noise at eight in the morning to the next door while trying to test keys. WiFi was not working and the man when he said he would come come to see the problem, he never came.

Clean

the facility is very poor, old-fashioned, no lift, the reception works on and off ... the rooms are minuscule and uncomfortable, the TV has just 3 channels and so on.

good location and accommodating staff

The room size is well below any acceptable standard. Even though it was booked three months in advance, the staff declared there was no standard room available. Totally unacceptable.

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

The room was extrem small and the bed was very unconfortable. Also rooms are not isolated and you hear all that happened in the corridors

The location was good not far from the center and very close to the metro station

It was cold in the room. Not convinient shower with no insulation, just a platform and a curtain (it's hard to don't let water spill on the floor).

Friendly staff. The owner (as I got it) speaks Engligh, German and Russian, what supposed to be good for travellers from my country. He met us on check-in ang gave a lot of tips for staying in Cologne. The room was spacious and clean. Good location (20 mins walk from the Central Station and Dom). Normal breakfast (7.5 euro for each person).

The room and toiled were very small for a double room. The wi - fi conection was very weak, and most of the time we did not had any connection at all, or very very slow connection.

The location of the hotel is not far from the city center and the main train station.

The room for two adults was very small and neither bed had a headboard. The overhead light came out of the wall as soon as it was touched. We were charged an extra £25 city tax on top of the £450 we had already been charged for 3 nights' accommodation. The receptionist did not help with luggage or show us to our room.

The location was central and parking outside the hotel was free at the weekend and on bank holidays. The rooms were clean and the broken light was fixed within a day. The room for 3 people was big enough.

The bathroom was not good, water was not flowing with good pressure so we were not able to have a clean bathroom ever. The water pressure also was very bad so we had to take a shower with a very small drop of water. We were not able to sleep because we could hear what was going on upstairs, if someone took a shower or walk...

They help us with late check in, it is good that the room has hairdryer and a complete mirror. They also kept our loggage after check out without charging extra and they were flexible with the check out time.

A negative note is that breakfast is only offered between 08.00 to 10.00. On our last day we had to depart at 07.00. so we didn't availed of the breakfast we had paid for. Staff offered to provide a coffee and some cake (from previous day) but we never got offered a refund.

Excellent staff and very helpful. Good location. Breakfast was very good. Beds were comfortable and hotel is very clean.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Heater was set by staff to be low during the night. .. and they return the normal temperature during the day while we are outside. .... Stairs and no elevator. .. poor smelly breakfast for 7 euros. Small room with bad toilet. .. it was almost impossible to set water temperature and it was very weak for adult to take shower.

Staff are very friendly

The walls were very thin and we were directly on the staircase so heard when everyone was entering the hotel. Dust under bed

comfy bed, good shower, nice room

Nobody attended for check in, all thro webcam. Room on 5th floor without lift. Heater turned off after 1 hr. No kitchen, need to inform breakfast 1 day in advance

Location is very central

Very small single room.

Good price for room. Perfect location not far from city center and park. Welcoming staff. Not bad breakfasts with ham, cheese, coffe, jam, croissants, fruits and oatmeal for reasonable price. Drinking water in rooms and water cooler in the hall 24/7. Pretty and calm district with nice restaurants close to the hotel.

Noisy room on 2 floor, room was not cleaned one day due to maid fault, no elevator, water as welcome drink

Good location, fair pricing, nice breafast with choice of tasty espresso, cappuccino or machiato, hospitable and helpful owner Vlad from Ukraine. Tip: free parking in 500 m - 50,9482896, 6,9338841

No cold water! Only very hot water to take a shower? Too small toilet seat!

The room was very quiet. Wooden floor. Bed ok. Clean bathroom. Good TV and lot of channels. Free good Wifi . Good location, only 15min by walking to Cologne main train station. Good towels and shampoo. Window could be opened. Complimentary sparkling water and fruits.

We were staing in room number 1 and it was terrible. The bed is right by the the door, and the room is located near the corridor and stairs and we could hear everything, every sound, and as a result we couldn't sleep. I hope it's not like that in the other rooms.

Convenient location, clean room and comfortable bed. Cooler in the hall, but without hot water.

3 breakfasts and 2 of them were late 10 mins. If you're on holidays that's fine but when you're on tight schedule and going it's not. Other than that no vegetables just cheese and meat and some sweet stuff.

Our Room was fabulous, lovely bed etc. However my mothers single room was quite small (toilet even smaller). The bed was springy as if they had broken and due to this she had very poor sleep. She felt a little like Harry Potter, the girl in the cupboard. Her TV did work which was good. I found it a little expensive for what you got.

Location was fabulous! Staff were friendly. Our room was comfortable but the Satellite TV did NOT work. Wifi was poor. Always clean, nice new towels etc

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

After we came back late,the lights were off. Just our room. We were tired so We didnt inform the hotel until we checked out. bathroom was clean but it smelled a little bit.

Staff or manager i dont know was very kind. Let us in early hours. We stayed for one day. Clean towels, sheets, room. Nice. It was veryy close to the metro, very close to the airport so very clever choice:))

The reception is left alone all of the time. In case of an emergency or just to make a simple telephone call is almost impossible to do it. I was not the only client complaining about it: there was a couple who had recently arrested and also were surprised for the practically non-existing service at the reception.

In general, the quality of the service was below a standard.

No air conditioning in the room. a bit far from central station un-friendly staff rooms are too small. no basic amenities present in the room. for the similar price, various other hotels with better facilities are avalibale

No lift Dark room Extremely poor Internet Amateur reception I was supposed to pay in cash, but I realized that they have already charged my credit card!

A picturesque place close to the hotel

We didn't understand at the beginning how to get inside the hotel. We've hardly seen any staff during our two days stay at this hotel. It was really warm and we had to leave the window wide open during our stay.

The room, although small in size, was clean and well equipped. We had everything we needed. The hotel was about 20 minutes walk from the Central Train Station and the City Cathedral (Kölner Dom). The walk to the Dom was quite straightforward and the city was lovely to visit. The hotel seemed safe as the entrance door was always locked. Good value for money.

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

I find that the quality/price ratio is not good. I had a single room which was very small, but that is not a problem, unless I paid 45€ for it. The bathroom was tiny, I couldn't even close the door while sitting on the toilet... The noise insulation of the wall is not good. I think that 30-35€ max for this room could be enough.

The personel of the hotel is kind and attentive to your requests. The position of the hotel inthe city is quite good.

I'm Genius member, the hotel announced to offer a "welcome drink" but the receptionist didn't. I ask the receptionist to recommend us a good restaurant, again the receptionist didn't. During the night one person make noise in the above room.

Clean room.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

Staff could be a little inattentive at times and Saturday night was noisy - but , as I said, it's an urban location. And it's well located. 20 mins walk from the centre but in a nice part of the town in its own right. We liked it!

Urban location - so can be noisy - but a vibrant part of town.good hotel, decent breakfast, room good, staff pleasant if not overly talkative.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

Room small, pillows a weird shape.Bathroom small but ok and no English language channels on TV. No lift in property so not for the disabled or unfit.

Location of hotel on a main but quiet street. Not to far from the DOM.

We didn't like that the receptionist or owner of the place estimated the taxi fees 4 times more expensive than the taxi actually was an so we walked instead of just getting a taxi and later on found out that the taxi was so cheap. We didn't like that the hotel didn't have any bottles of water so the night was dry.. we would have had breakfast in the hotel if it had been possible to order on the same day and not in advance. One of the receptionists also promised a fair in total and confirmed it was the total but when we got to the g^hotel, a different uy told us that it excluded taxes. This start just annoyed us.

The price was fair enough. The location was good. The second room was so small and only had two beds instead of three.

With the alloted room on fourth floor, its difficult to climb stairs with luggage.

The rooms were well cleaned and comfortable enough for a solo traveller. The staff was helpful and breakfast was adequate.

It was quite noisy. You could hear people coming in, going out of the hotel and talking very clearly.

Good location, very close to U-bahn and a main street with cafes and restaurants. The room was clean and comfortable. Daily cleaning service.

I. Receptionist with moustache was unfriendly unhelpful.morning receptionist was totally differentworth smiling, looks clean, welcoming.I got free breakfast as I had no cash. I. Wifi did not work at all I. Too small room for night rate of 107€ while a sign at the entrance shows 29.000€ per night. I. Room cleanliness is not good. I. TV screen smaller than my car dashboard. I. Bed is really uncomfortable. I. Location was not accurately given. I. It is not for business travelers I. No amusement at all. I. The only positive point the breakfast man.

I travelled for business and saw ur hotel close to the fair. But it was really far. So u have yo update the boss, I went to speak with a sad client unfriendly receptionist about 3 and every time I am sorry can.not assist u. From the room I got no signal of the mobile network so I had to go out standing on street to chat with boss.while there was wifi at the hotel.The room was really small too small actually, bed matress was the softest ever that I could not sleep, the room had triangle shape it looks as really uncomfortable. Bathroom was ok small but clean. When I went to bed, I saw a long piece of hair of my pillow so it made it worse then.

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

One time during the day there was no internet connection. The reception works from 8 am (I think) till 8 pm, so make sure not to lose your keys.

The hotel is situated in a quiet area near the center: 15 min walk to the main central station/Kolner Dom. It is small and cosy. I have booked a room with WC outside, but the personnel changed it to a smaller one, but with WC inside upon my arrival. Good decision!

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

Location isn't the best as often everything around is closed. We had to walk 10 minutes each day in to the more busier part of town, which really in the grand scheme of things, isn't far at all.

The whole place was really quiet which made relaxing easy. Good size room and the beds were really comfortable. Value for money was excellent.

• Reviewed: 1 February 2017

Breakfest was very basic. It is good if you are staying for one night. But if you are staying for more nights it is not good to eat same every day. Also, there were only one key for room. If you are coming late from your roommate you must wake him up to enter not just into room but in hotel also.

• Reviewed: 18 January 2017

Would use a table for work with computer in the room - the host promised it will be there next year. The renovation is upcoming. Difficult room temperature adjustment. The battery regulator very sensitive.

Good value for money - the best deal during fair days and the fair grounds relatively easy to reach by ubahn. The station is ~200 m from the hotel. Stable internet connection and speed all over the hotel. Very friendly and nice owner to every guest there. The breakfast time is fun time on his shift.

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

Very slow Wi-Fi! Even to take a look on GoogleMaps took like several minutes of waiting.

We had good stay for a little money. Most of the time we didn't meet anyone inside, which is good for introverts like us.

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

The stairs! Could really benefit from an elevator, or perhaps assistance with suitcases. Only an issue if you're in Room 16, on the top floor.

Lovely and quiet, despite good location on main road, between Ring and Innerer Grungurtel. Hansaring is closest S-Bahn.

• Reviewed: 11 November 2016

It was really difficult to take our luggage to the 3rd floor as there was no lift available in this hotel! Also old furniture - sometimes broken, smelly corridors, very small rooms with no working table (suitable for laptop), slow and repeatedly disconnecting wireless internet were problematic indeed. Definitely needs some improvement!

Very friendly and helpful staff, reasonable breakfast options - though rather limited, and relatively easy access to Centrum.

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

No staff around most of the time, very basic with no usual things like toiletries or tea/coffee fasciitis. Very basic breakfast with no cooked option. Lack of local information, very minimal leisure leaflets and no numbers for taxi

Very comfy beds, clean all round, good location, pleasant staff when they were there. Clean towels daily without having to ask

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

The man on the reception was very helpful and friendly . The breakfast was very good. everything is good and near from the center you can walk to cathedral

• Reviewed: 29 October 2016

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

For the price it was very good, I liked the location near to nightlife areas but far enough away to be quiet. Okay walking distance to main tourist attractions. Very good breakfast

Nothing at the moment.

The non-frills hotel is on the edge of the old town and train station. Breakfast was nice each morning and the attendant was very attentive to everything and the presentation. The room was quite simple and in my case very small.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

Without elevator climbing to 5th floor with luggage can be demanding. No supermarkets closer than 15 min of fast walk.

Clean. One bakery is close to the hotel. Easy accessible by public transportation.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

The WiFi was very unreliable which was problematic as we were there on a business trip and needed access.

Friendly staff, good location, comfortable beds, clean, nice breakfast, good price considering it was Photokina.

• Reviewed: 24 September 2016

Booked a room with two singel beds, got one with a doublebed and wasnt even asked if that was ok. The room was not private and you could basicly hear every conversation outside the door. The "bathroom" was small, had broken tiles and the loo was 2 inch from the shower that had a broken hoose.

Basic, basic. Just dont expect anything fancy. The location is ok. The surroundings are silent and the bed is ok. Brekfast is also basic but ok.

• Reviewed: 25 July 2016

The refrigerator is not working. The room is small. No lift with luggage to climb 5 floors. A little far from cathedral on foot

The price is cheap enough. It's my second visit to Cologne, and I enjoy walking in the park not only the cathedral, so it's a good choice for me, not recommede to first comers.

• Reviewed: 25 July 2016

Stairs, no elevator, no A/C & no fan for room. Noisy neighborhood at night (people loudly talking, cars racing on road after midnight).

The room was clean, beds okay. Good breakfast & really good Italian restaurant just down the street for dinner. Subway station close by.

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

The shower was too high and without regulation option that makes the life of short people a little bit complicated )

The owner of the hotel was super friendly and helpful, the room was clean and good for basic needs. The location and transport system are good, it was very easy to find the place even at night. The option of last moment booking with special rates is also available. Overall I have a good impression

• Reviewed: 18 July 2016

No lift so if you can't lug a case up 5 flights maybe reconsider

Amazing huge comfy bed & cute little en suite, friendly staff & not far into the city center at all. Beautiful city.

• Reviewed: 7 July 2016

The stairs. We had two rooms. One was on the third floor and one was on the fifth.

We felt like true urbanites living here. We were in the hustle and bustle of urban Cologne and just a couple of kilometers from the cathedral. There is a GREAT Spanish restaurant on the corner. The breakfast in the morning was also pretty good.

• Reviewed: 29 June 2016

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

-Bed was uncomfortable. -Wifi speed could have been faster. -Room was very small. -Staff should have been more cheerful.

Decent location, good price for Koln Germany in the summer.

• Reviewed: 25 June 2016

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

i did not expect too much with a room for 40 euro. but still what came was under the expecation. no poor isolated room, not well-floating water from shower, small and uncomfortable matress. only the cleaness of the room is above average. and the promised breakfast was also nowhere to see.

cleaness and relatviely good location

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

The room was a bit small but nevertheless had everything I needed.

Simple, clean and comfortable place!

Clean room,good location.

slow wifi connection

amazing place, feels like in some old good movies

Very clean. Very comfortable bed.Of high value in terms of what you have paid and what you get!

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Shower in the room could be cabin.

Clean, personal is great, location is ok.

They helped us with everything they can and they were so nice and hotel is very close to transportation and also it was super clean and comfy!

Very welcoming helpful and friendly staff. Quiet place to stay. An excellent Italian restaurant nearby.

No elevator

Clean and tidy

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Walls and doors very very thin you could hear the neighbours from across the property

Staff were friendly and helpful

Very clean and good location.

The morning we left, there weren’t hot water in the shower... We don’t know why...

Room and toilet were really clean.

Twin room but a bit cramped and shower room was small. Get what you pay for in the end.

Basic but clean and warm when it was minus 10 outside.

Bathroom was tiny and showerhead barley worked

everything.

nil

good value for money within walking minutes from city center

Small

People friendly

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Great staff! rooms better than the pictures. Very good breakfast.

It was central and easy access to places

No elevator. Booked on 5th floor with kids.

Quiet and clean.