Reviews of Classic Hotel Harmonie 3 stars

Ursulaplatz 13-19, Altstadt-Nord, 50668 Cologne, Germany

#128 of 223 hotels in Cologne

I booked this room for the advertised air conditioning and it was useless. The room didn't cool down whatsoever, even with running it all day and night. Two of the three rooms I booked didn't have it at all.

The location was pretty decent. Close to the city center. Bathroom was really big, which was great.

Well, it said air conditioning. It’s on the wall but it doesn’t work. So, I thought, it is Germany & just adapted. It wasn’t a deal breaker but it may offend some that think they aren’t getting what they paid for. It was May and hot but the nights were easy if you open the windows and catch the breeze.

Staff friendly, room comfortable & clean. Convenient to the train station and just a couple blocks away from the Dom & shopping/attractions. Rented car but no need because everything is walking distance.

None.

We had perfect stay in this cozy hotel - very helpful and friendly personnel, perfect location (10 min to the center), very clear room - totally recommended for your holiday!

Building work was taking place .All the materiels stored in corridor next to our room.The view from the window was of another building site next door.

Can't think of a major negative. Air conditioning was a bit noisy.

Central location. Cozy and welcoming hotel. Nice breakfast with decent choice. Friendly and helpful staff.

There wasn’t any electrical kettle - that would have made our trip like a trip to paradise 😊

Cozy room, big bathroom with window (relatively to an average size of bathrooms), comfortable bed! There was even a little fridge in the room that we could store some food. And of course - great and safe location! Near supermarkets, hairdressers, city views, railway station etc

The view of our room was unfinished construction so we cannot enjoy the view. The hotel photo location was not accordance with the reality.

The staffs are friendly. The room was clean and comfort. The location is near to the train station and tourist attraction

• Classic Double Room

Room was spotless! Very big and spacious. Heated flooring in the bathroom was a massive plus. Perfect location just around the corner from the main train station so was within walking distance of everything. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Free water everyday as well as many complimentary soaps, shampoos, etc. Would definitely recommend!

Wifi isn't complex to connect to.

The location was very close to the centre of Cologne, the hotel was clean and the room was a very good size. Staff was helpful with different transport options to explore Cologne.

I didnt realise there would be construction going on right outside my room. This made it difficult to sleep as it started at 7am and went on until late.

Personally I liked the location and the bed was very comfortable in the spacious room. The shower was also excellent.

• Classic Double Room

One of the staff members was quite awful, slow and non attentive. Very inflexible in check-in/check-out times.

One staff member, Peruvian, was very nice to us and attentive and helpful. The room we got was very nice and the bathroom area was beautiful.

There could have been hot beverage facilities in the room like most European city hotels. The wifi was also horrendous - one of the annoying ones which you have to connect back onto every time you are using it.

The bed was comfortable, the location was fantastic, the reception staff were fairly smiley and approachable. I had an enquiry after I returned to the UK and they were very efficient with their response time and extremely clear.

STAY AWAY ; WORSE THAN TERRIBLE They charge us two times for everything even I used booking. com The location is bad The staff was unpleasant and not polite Car parking was terrible and inside construction site Next to hotel , there is construction and they start work at 07:30

SAY AWAY ; WORSE THAN TERRIBLE Nothing was good ; the location is not like in the pictures ; next to the building there is construction and starts work at 07:30. The lift was dangerous and risky . Staff was unpleasant and do not care .

• Classic Double Room

There was some extensive building work taking place outside our room, as we were on the ground floor we could unfortunately hear and feel everything taking place. Plus side, we used this as our alarm as the work generally started about 8 am.

The room was clean and tidy, and the furnishings functional if a little dated. The hotel is in a good location, close to the Train Station, Cathedral, River Rhine and Christmas Markets.

The staff is quite rude, they don’t speak English well. The pictures of the hotel are old.

Convinient location, 4 blocks from the train station. Comfortable rooms.

• Deluxe Double Room

The WiFi was terrible & not even useable. The tv channels were all in German & therefore no use to foreigners. The showers were not very clean. Coffee in the room would’ve been nice.

Good location & close to train station.

• Classic Single Room

I didn’t know how to access drinks like a bottle of lemonade or coke. Or a water bottle. Unless of course I left the hotel.

The bed was very comfortable and the shower head was very powerful. This was great.

The room seemed to be in a little used part of the hotel. Laundry cages stored there and restocking of crates bottles for the bar also there one morning. Also the building site next door didn't help with them starting work at 7 am in the morning.

The staff were absolutely first class.

The hotel street has nothing to eat, but you can find a coffe shop in 5 minutes walking

Location. Very comfortable room. Good service at recepción and friendly friendly.

Bed not very cheap confortable and price to high for this standard.

Very good location 10 minutes to the Christmas market. Clean room and bathroom. Staff helpful and friendly.

The car park was expensive and in a building site. It was muddy and we had to drag pur suitcases through huge puddles of muddy water to get to the hotel. I didn’t see anything in advance which said that the parking was so expensive. The car park is also so small that it is difficult to get in and out of.

Quiet location, central. Nice staff. Comfy bed. Nice choice of pillows.

The wifi - internet was not stable. The reconstruction just a few meter from hotel. Was a little bit cold in the room.

The bathroom is clean, the room is clean too. The bed is very comfortable. The hotel is close the cent-ral railway station. The staffs are friendly and helpful. Plenteous breakfast.

• Classic Double Room

The picture of the hotel is a lie. Massive construction ongoing, you can;t sleep after 7 AM even on Saturdays. For that price, invest in a kettle and few tea / coffee bags to share with your customers.

The fact that the cleaning lady brought back my Iphone while I was checking out. The fact that the management didn't charge me for the 18 Euro parking lot due to horrible 7 AM construction drilling 5 meters from our bed window.

• Deluxe Single Room

Upon arrival the system was down and I could not have a key until the following day, so every time I needed to go to my room I had to ask someone at reception to open the door for me... which they did not do very gracefully, as if it were my fault. I am still waiting for any form of apology for the inconvenience. One big problem is their wi-fi : it is detected as faulty and unsecure by most devices (I had 3 with me) and for devices with firewalls (e.g. an enterprise computer) it is simply impossible to connect. They really need to fix that.

Quiet place a few steps away from the train station and the city centre, very convenient.

Price was grossly inflated due to Trade Exhibition. At normal prices I would give a better rating as rooms and service were good. Difficult to get a drink at the bar as only one member of staff available who was also on the front desk.

Comfy room with large window and good bathroom. High quality breakfast. There was no kettle in the room but it was provided immediately on request.

After complaining about noisy construction site no one at the hotel did not do anything.

Comfy bed and nice bathroom. Pleasant servise at the hotel bar.

• Classic Double Room

Everything was good except the resonstruction right behind the window of my room. The construction workers began to work early morning including Saturday. That is why I woke up together with the working day of the workers.

The room is clean, the bathroom is clean too. The bed is very comfortable. The hotel is very close the central railway station. Friendly staff.

The curtain was just washed when we check in at 15.00, and it was still wet. The wifi - internet was not stable, don't know why.

The staffs are friendly and helpful and professional.

1.The most important item on our list for searching accommodation is "wifi", the hotel internet access did not work for our stay. When I asked the reception staff they informed me that it happens frequently. The message on screen was "this is an unsafe connection...." or words to that effect. Reception staff tried to configure my tablet to connect but it did not work. 2.Parking is adjacent to hotel and I parked as instructed and asked if they needed my car registration or any details; the reply was "No". When we were about to leave I found an A4 paper on the windscreen asking "Driver contact reception.....". Apparently, details were required, the staff member had made a mistake. 3.Toilet from upstairs flushed through the wall in our room, very noisy not a small trickle. It woke me up it was so loud at about midnight 4.Church is 5 meters across the road, they started ringing the church bells at 7am for 5 minutes. 5.I had to leave and find a different hotel for second night which was quieter (The Mauritius). It happened to be cheaper and better located as well. My wife stayed in the original hotel (as we had two rooms with visiting family in the second room) and someone had to look after them (Chinese). They all used their mobile phone connection to access internet, not cheap but only way possible. They all blog their trip experiences and photos all day! This was the second euro hotel where we had a bad experience on our trip.

Nothing at all inspired me for this hotel.

• Deluxe Double Room

The AC in my room was broken and it was very hot (85 degrees F in the room and very humid). The staff was unable to move me and unwilling to compensate me properly for my discomfort. The General manager refused to communicate with me about the problem and rather had his lower management staff communicate with me, although I had specifically asked for him twice. The wifi was spotty and didn't work properly, constantly kicking me off of my devices. Construction noise woke me up early in the morning. Not a pleasant stay. Managent staff was unhelpful and very curt with me. The front desk girls were nice.

• Classic Double Room

The carpet looked worn out and not washed for a long time. The reception looked very big in the pictures but is only little. During the day we couldn't rest because it was noisy due to constructions going on right near the hotel. The garden was locked at all times.

The room and bathroom looked clean and it was very close to the train station. The staff was helpfull and allowed as to keep our bags in a room before check in and after check out.

• Deluxe Single Room

It was a little hard to find, particularly at night.

Close to the station and attractions so a great location. Clean with all that is needed for a shorter stay

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

• Classic Double Room

That we were not allocated a carpark even though one had been requested when we made the booking.

The friendliness of the staff and how close it was to the cathedral.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

• Classic Single Room

The room didn't match what we see when we enter the hotel, the entrance is quite new and the room looks old. Also, mismatch with the pictures online.. Finally, a single room like the one I took for only one person is quite small which isn't a problem as I said it was comfortable but I think it is expensive for what it is when I compare what can be found in Paris.. and life in Cologne is much much cheaper than in Paris..

The room was comfortable and cosy. The location was also great, peaceful area not too far from the heart of Cologne; about 10min walk to the HBF train station and Dom. The hotel was clean and so was the room. Room service is done everyday and you get some nice products for shower, naturals from Germany, appreciated.

The reception staff (both on check-in and check-out) were not at all friendly or welcoming. We were not told anything about the hotel or local area, not where anything in the hotel was located, just left to get on with it. Really quite rude. Had air con but even on its coldest setting wasn't very cold. All a bit dated and needs redecorating and modernising. Be aware that the hotel are building right next door so this is a building site. Unfortunately our windows looked straight out onto it.

Relatively convenient - only a short walk, a bit further to the city centre. Firm but comfortable beds and comfortable pillows and bedding. Pretty building with original features; high ceilings, large windows. Bathroom clean and large bath/shower but a little dated. Good size room but decor dated and a little small for three of us (single sofa bed in triple room). Pleased that the hotel could store our luggage.

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

Lack of transparency in term of dog charge. Although was not stated anywhere they told me that charge for dog (less than 5kg) is 30 eur per day. When I arrived 4pm the room was not ready.

Location, proximity to the city centre, quiet neighborhood. Diverse and good breakfast at a low price.

Be careful with invoicing. I have stayed only 1 night but invoiced 2 x breakfast without indicating 2 times breakfast on invoice. I checked the price of breakfast from my email when I booked, and went back to reception to deduct.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

Rooms really hot, had to air the room for a long time to get rid of the awful perfume smell and to get it to room temperature instead of sauna temperature, that end of march. Electronic lock got broken, no card system. The day after next room i got changed to, lock was already broken and couldn't get in. Third room a lot smaller and like a sauna again. Personal not particularly customer friendly and some not very communicative. Apart from the location and breakfast, not worth the money. Was there on the Messe, my last time in this hotel at least. Different hotel next time.

Breakfast really nice and good selection

Great location close to the main train station and the cathedral. Nice staff, clean and quiet room, comfortable bed. There are little problems with Wi-Fi connection in the room.

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

beds are small by american standards! Queen size is really a full size or barely a double! 1 night there was a domestic dispute in the hallwall going on for 30 min. No staff/security came by to resolve thought breakfast was expensive at 9.Euros

Staff tried their best to accommodate - Dominic spoke great english and was helpful Breakfast was european style - cheese, bread, fruit, meats Comforters were wonderful! Had a great shower - water pressure and spray Rooms were small but nice Great little garden patio on 3rd floor

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

• Classic Single Room

CUSTOMER SERVICE IS PATHETIC,NO LOYALTY, CHARGE FOR WATER BUT YOU GUYS DON'T PUT WATER IN THE ROOMS WHICH YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO, YOUR CARPETS NEED TO BE CHANGED I GUESS, SHOWERS DON'T WORK WELL. CHECKOUT TOOK 90 MINS.

Not many options for warm food during breakfast (only eggs), toilet & shower room cant be fully closed since they are openly put in the room.

Comfy bed, awesome location, cleaning stuff + even small sewing kit for guests were prepared in the room. The breakfast staff was super kind.

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

• Classic Single Room

when we arrived to hotel, my room wasnt ready. No pillow, no sheet. Rooms are very small like a hostel room. In 3. day when i was come to my room the door was open and my stuffs relocated inside the room. Nobody knows why, hotel staff irrelevant. There is been a huge security issiues

breakfast is very good

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

Very noisy and bright. Hard to fall sleep. The towels were worn out and very small (and we are not big people at all). Get ready to pay extra money for a city tax when you check out, even though it was included when we payed online. The welcome drink we were supposed to get was actually ... water. The staff was not helpful at all. We booked a "quiet room with a double bed" but the girl at he front desk gave us a double twin room. When we told her that we are expecting to get what we booked she got mad. Wi fi was a joke.

The location was great.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

Bed was a little on the hard side, and despite turning the thermostat down considerably & the air conditioning on, the room was still very warm during the night.

Friendly, welcoming staff and in a very convenient location.

• Reviewed: 28 January 2017

Internet was a bit dodgy at times.

Very clean,helpful and friendly staff, breakfast was great, small bar was bonus also had a late nite meal there as couldnt be bothered going out was really delicious

• Reviewed: 8 January 2017

When I arrived I discovered that the safe case is not working. They promised to fix it early in the morning but they didn't and they offered to change the room but it was hard to pack and unpack again. They put us with twin bed room although I requested king bed when I booked. When I asked for large size quilt they apologized that they have only single quilt.

It's not close to the main train station but only 10 minutes’ walk The hotel is clean

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

The shower was a bit funny.. Alternate cold and hot water... A bit expensive for the quality given.

Very near to central station, cathedral, etc. Friendly staff, large room.

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

The key can't fix in the light switch, it is hard to switch on the light. There is no kettle and the one we borrowed from reception is broken. Other than that, all is good.

The room is clean and quite.

• Reviewed: 14 December 2016

The staff wasn't particularly friendly, they hardly made eye-contact or smiled. We also had a weird encounter at 2pm (when we came back for a nap-after the cleaning was done) because a lady from the staff came in without knocking to check our mini bar. I didn't consider it particularly professional. They also tried to bill us for a breakfast we didn't require. Bathroom was smelly as the hole for the water on the floor was directly connected to the sewage system...just put some wet toilet paper on it.

Excellent location, less than 5 minutes walked from the Dom, very quiet area.

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

• Deluxe Single Room

Hotel proved a bit difficult to find at first because in Cologne they do not necessarily have street names visible that often. Print a Google map and study it beforehand, taking care to exit the station from the right side. But once located, easy to find and about 7 minutes walk from the station. No need for a taxi unless you have more luggage.

I reserved a deluxe room. I have trouble sleeping in hotels because of noise and carpets. The double room they gave me did not have a carpet and was quiet (as was not facing the street) so I was very pleased. Breakfast contained everything I needed, I particularly appreciated the possibility to make my own tea from tea leaves rather than from a tea bag, having natural unsweetened youghurt and dark bread. Very convenient location near the main station and my meeting places.

• Reviewed: 26 November 2016

1. Saglikli girdigim hotelde, rutubetten ve soguktan hasta olup ciktim ( before staying at the hotel I was a healthy person, but after staying there I became sick because of the humid weather and the cold conditions in the room, no heating system !) 2. Resepsiyon gorevlileri kaba ( receptionists are so unkind!) they even cant say hello when you come into the hotel) 3. Resimlerde görüp ayirttiginiz oda haricinde oda veriyorlar ve soylediginizde burasi almanya buda alman sitili diyorlar, kisacasi isinize gelirseye getiriyorlar.... ( although I reserved one big size bed, they gave us two different seperate beds, so the pictures that have you seen in the booking are totally different from the reality. Besides, when you tell the receptionists to change the room with the room that you have booked, they just answer that this is the "GERMAN STYLE" which means the rooms always may not be the same with the one you saw in the booking.com this is not fair, and it equals to deceiving people rather than doing the job in a good way. 4. Banyo dahil resimlerle alakasi yoktu, yataklar cok rahatsizdi sabah kalktigimizda heryerimiz tutulmustu, terlik te verilmiyor.. ( the bathroom's pictures are totally different, it was so old, and damaged, the beds were umcomfortable so that We had backaches in the morning and there were no adequate equipments like Slipper, toothpaste, etc...)

Katedrale ve merke istasyona yakin olmasi Close to main central station and to the cathedral..

• Reviewed: 22 November 2016

Room 116 on the ground floor smells strongly like sewage. I´ve checked read other comments, other guests complained about the same problem. The hotel representative commented that they will have fixed it - well that did not happen yet. The carpet had a large brown stain.

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

• Classic Single Room

There was not even a tiny bar of soap. There was shampoo, but no liquid soap either. The shower door was broken. The photos of the hotel give the impression one is staying in a charming old building, but my room was in an attached building that was of rather poor construction. Strangely, the elevator buttons are on the outside, so one must choose the floor before entering the elevator. In addition, often, there was no one at the front desk, and I had to wait for someone to appear even after ringing.

The location, though not charming by any means, is very central, and steps from one of the best Italian restaurants in the city.

• Reviewed: 18 November 2016

• Classic Double Room

The two separate beds were easily drifting apart which we did not like. Bathroom has little privacy.

Very nice room- and overall hoteldesign and pleasant staff.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

The check in time not very flexible, and the rules are too straight. Wifi connection cut off too easily.

It is very close to everywhere in a quite sweet.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

• Classic Single Room

Room was very small and very old. The carpet was vacuumed but had lots of stains. The shower room was ok, but the water temperature was very difficult to regulate....boiling hot or freezing!

Breakfast and Reception service.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

• Classic Single Room

If I come to your hotel, you need to help to the guest. 1. I ask for a short international call. Your answer : Impossible I need to make for 1 minute and I said I will pay, you said no. This is not nice. Definitely not. 2. Early check-in : I came by your hotel around 10:30 and again you said : Impossible. Even the guy told me, go and have sight seeing on the streets and come back at 3.00 o 'clock. 4,5 hours sight seeing, I wish I could have energy to do that. Anyway, you made it to 1 o'clock. Very impressive. 3. Staff : There is only one guy, he is tall, half shaved head ( he has hair on top of his head only )and very friendly. I do not remember his name. But he is the only great thing about your hotel. The rest of the staff do not speak English well and not very friendly. I am your guest and I am not a beggar from the streets, you need to be more polite and friendly. Your manner was awkward. 4. Construction noise : During the day I entered the hotel, there was a construction continued and gave me a long headache. It was not ended even after the check-in time ( 15:00 )

The only advantage is the location.It is close to the city center.

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

• Classic Single Room

City Tax is not applicable for business travellers like me, but the Hotel charged that by default, and they did not give me the money back at check out.

Cleanliness was fine.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

Wish breakfast was included in price.

Nice hotel in convenient location for walking around Cologne. Room was small but adequate (European size). Bathroom was gorgeous - looked like a spa! Had a lovely terrace that was open from hallway and overlooked the church rooftop. Great place to bring a glass of wine in the evening. Staff were very pleasant and helpful! Hotel has AC in rooms. If you care about opening your window ask for a room on the church side as the other side has more industrial views.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

For the price we paid, we cannot ask for more.

The location is perfect for a weekend in the city, since it's so close to the Main Train Station, Old Town, Cathedral, and main touristic points. The bedroom in general was very good for the price we paid, it looked a little bit oldy, but anyway it was fine.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

Difficult to pick anything particular out. As in most hotels, there is nowhere with good lighting for ladies to apply makeup, etc. Using the bathroom is not, for me, an option as I like to be able to sit at a dressing table. ( I am the spouse of Keith)!!

There was plenty of selection for breakfast and all presented very well. One could be very greedy for the all inclusive price but it would not necessarily be healthy eating!

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

• Classic Single Room

The variation in types of rooms is huge. Last time I stayed in a beautiful room and this time the room was really budget, small and rather grubby. I understand there are very different levels of room, but this is not evident when booking through online agencies. I would stay there again, but not in the cheap rooms.

Good location, good breakfast and service, pleasant staff.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

After spending 30 days in Germany moving every 2 - 3 days , this was the only hotel that requested another 10 euros for early check in before 3:00. Every other hotel let us in if the room was cleaned and ready. We had arrived at 12:00 PM.

Great room - good size and clean. Breakfast was excellent with lots of selection. Good bed. Easy walk from station.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

• Classic Single Room

The wifi was not working really good. No one help you to bring your luggage to the room, and as I had a lot of luggage and drove long hours, it could have been appreciated. I had to cancel 2 nights and didn't get any refund. And the parking is really expensive, 17 euros per one night...

The room was really nice, and location was perfect for me.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

• Classic Double Room

Lift does not take you all the way to all rooms - the building has level differences. Rooms are not necessarily very spacious, but the decor is nice.

Good location, esp to and from the main train station (600 metres). Breakfast is good.

• Reviewed: 5 August 2016

It's a walking distance from the main train station but quite a long walk (between 700-800 meters) and difficult if you have heavy luggages to carry along. The double room and its bed is too small for a couple. No iron anywhere in the hotel..... Breakfast buffet is quite a bore....the same all throughout our stay.

We liked that there's daily free water bottles in the room, but we're not able to drink it coz its sparkling water. My son liked his single room too. It was raining during our stay and front desk gladly lent us an umbrella. We appreciate also that the hotel lent us their baggage trolley to bring our luggages to the train station by foot. My husband just had to walk back again to return the trolley. Breakfast offering was adequate. You just have to be creative in your daily preferences coz its the same everyday.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

We had one complaint - our door lock didn't unlock properly and we needed the staff to assist us to unlock the door every time we wanted to enter our room. Whilst the staff were helpful, there was no attempt to resolve the issue or find us another room. Otherwise it was a really good hotel for the price

• Reviewed: 30 July 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

The info in the room says the bar is 24 hours but staff said it closed at 9 & weren't happy to have to serve us at 8.57. Whole place seemed understaffed for the number of guests.

The room was fantastic.

• Reviewed: 27 June 2016

• Classic Single Room

The trains are quite loud and go throughout the night (to be expected in this location). There is a church right in front that rings bells in the morning. The real minus - a funky smell in the bed area.

Good last minute deal for affordable price. Close to the city centre, train station.

• Reviewed: 24 June 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

The staff weren't very pleasant and didn't know much about cologne when I asked what they would recommend 1 person said I don't know.

Location was close to the cathedral,

• Reviewed: 23 June 2016

Breakfast was too expensive, so missed out on dining in the beautiful breakfast room!

Everyone was so helpful, from restaurant recommendations to locating an electric water heater so we could make coffee in our room!

• Reviewed: 22 June 2016

It is in a walking distant from the main station but a bit tricky on which corners to turn so be prepared for some time to figure out. After the first time, then you will find this place very easy to access. The room is very lovely but with some not so functional space. We are okay with that though.

Excellent Location, comfortable bed and shower. The staff we me was very friendly with warm welcome attitude, although the other guy the next morning was quite cold. We did not have breakfast but we had our own coffee in the room by using a kettle that could be kindly given upon asking.

Stayed in May 2016

Climate control/AC didn't work too well, making the room too warm at night.

Great location to explore Cologne!

• Classic Single Room

Very small room .. No air condition or ventilation .. extremely hot in room …

Good breakfast ...