Reviews of Cologne Marriott Hotel This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services offered. It is based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

Johannisstr. 76-80, Altstadt-Nord, 50668 Cologne, Germany

#26 of 223 hotels in Cologne

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

I am Marriot member but just don’t know the number, because I am receiving email from Marriot and tell me the I have. However the reception sweet girl not willing to help me look for the account.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

This hotel has the best breakfast buffet I have ever seen. I mean wow. I could have stayed there all day. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. I couldn't reccommend this place more.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

No amenities were available when checked into the suite.

I had to help carry my own luggage at check-in, and this is not standard expectation at a 5 star property.

We loved everything

I had adjoining rooms, ideal for my 2 granddaughters 10 and 13 years old. We all loved the rooms, really well fitted, great showers and beds. Breakfast was fantastic, the girls loved it. Wonderful staff, great attitude and always helpful. Location perfect for the city centre.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

I had got charged twice and Marriot are not cooperating at all! Very disappointing. Please avoid or at least check you have paid correctly before leaving.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

Location is good close to centre. Breakfast at 27 euro per person expensive. Coffee pot in room but no coffee available. No balcony was available. A smile from reception desk personnel would have been appreciated.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

Nobody in the group liked the pillows.... were too big and hard to sleep with.

Very modern and comfortable, helpful and friendly staff that all spoke English. Right near train station and Dom.... is plenty of restaurants within easy walking distance.... Parking on site, which is nice.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

I didn’t like having to put my keycard in to turn my lights on, I REALLY didn’t like having to pay €30 to park my car at your hotel. That’s really absurd to me especially when we checked in at like 10 and checked out less than 12 hours later. You’re a nice hotel but this was a lousy accommodation and I have no intention of staying with your franchise over stuff like the parking.

We were unaware they had a breakfast. When we left at 9:15 we looked and didn’t see one so we went elsewhere for breakfast.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

Parking is 28euro a night while there is a parking garage just across the street for only 18euro. Machine also only takes cash.

Staff was very helpful, great cocktails in the bar, clean rooms, nice lobby, super close to the Dom

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

Northern European weather systems can dampen the spirit, but that isn't the hotel's fault.

The Marriott is 300 metres north of Cologne Hbf so it's a very easy walk to the transport hub of the city. The centre of the city is an easy walk as is the river Rhine. The staff are friendly and approachable thankfully appear to speak every language known to man. A very useful taxi rank is just outside the main entrance.

• Grand Deluxe Double Room

The staff at check in was not particularly friendly nor competent. They blocked 50€ on our credit card without explaining why. Only after asking they would be more explicit about it. We had a quite large room with a (locked) connection door to another room. Unfortunately we could hear every single word from the other room and also woke up because of that noise. We only stayed one night but if we would have stayed longer, it would have definitely been a problem.

Great location!!! Very clean and big room. All amenities that make the stay pleasant. Staff at the bar and check out was very friendly. Cosy hotel.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

Beyond reservation and received confirmation by Booking.com they do not recognize it and I was for more than 1h on reception after midnight. Hope never again in that hotel.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

The parking fee is quite expensive.

What we like the most here are a) a super comfortable bed, b) cleanness of the room and c) efficiency in check-in and check-out process.

• Executive Double Room with Lounge Access

Excellently located for the central train station as well as the office where I was working. The staff are exceptionally friendly and the option of the Executive lounge access meets my needs for breakfast and a wind-down in the evening! The staff in the Executive Lounge are just fantastic, super-efficient and genuinely friendly as well as multi-lingual! I really couldn't fault them.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

My shower leaked onto the bathroom floor. Towels were not soft. Pillows were rock hard. Not even one bottle of water complimentary. For hotel of this price/callibre these things should not have been an issue.

Good location and clean room. Good wifi.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

Although we had a good stay it was quite expensive and the parking is very expensive, it is unnecessary to charge that much for parking when the cost of staying at the hotel is already high.

Rooms and service was very good, room service breakfast was delicious.

• Grand Deluxe Double Room

I had a booking for big room than basic, with double bed and shower, and they let a basic room with two single beds and a bath. After claim it, they correct the mistake. After this, only the price, maybe too expensive for 2 nights without breaakfast.

Big shower, bigger bed, chaise longue, cleanless. All in room was very good.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

On approaching the hotel, along the side of the hotel, there was rubbish everywhere from overspilling bins. Not nice so close to the hotel entrance.

Very welcoming and efficient reception and concierge staff.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

There was a particular front desk staff member who was very rude. She swiped my credit card in my absence a day before my check out. When confronted, she was arguing with me rather than being apologetic. Thankfully there was another front desk staff member in the next shift who was polite and agreed to the mistake.

The room was very comfortable. Location of the property was excellent.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

From the moment we checked in I knew we’d made the right choice. The hotel lobby was really welcoming & staff friendly. We were early (11.30am) but a room was available so we were checked-in. The room & bathroom were an excellent size, very clean & a huge super king bed which was very comfortable. The arm chair & foot rest was perfect for catching up with my book & the TV had several UK channels. We ate in the lobby bar & the food was really lovely, great value & the service excellent. Earlier we’d had drinks, the local beer, and a bar snack of home made crisps & sour cream, which I’d recommend! After returning to our room from a cold but delightful stroll around town & cathedral (you must try Cafe Reichard near by, the rösti are superb) we wanted to make a cup of tea & coffee in the room but had no milk. Not a problem. A pot was brought to the room and it had been warmed (a small thing, but I’ve never had that before in a hotel, got a thumbs up from me). Breakfast was again a very positive experience, service was A star as was the selection, even an eggs/omelette station! There was really nothing I disliked about this hotel and wod definitely book again if visiting Cologne. Well done Marriot Cologne, your staff are a credit to you.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

I have only good things to say

Wow! What can I say? Everything was perfect. I wanted a romantic place to make a very special decision and there was no better. Up to the 5 Star they promise. From 5 star staff to everything. It's the place to be for romance and business. Near to the train station and readily available taxis.

• Grand Deluxe Double Room

Poor quality new year eve dinner New year brunch same as normal breakfast Chaotic organization of the staff Lack of amenities.

Location Large rooms (gran deluxe)

• Grand Deluxe Double Room

This is a really well run and modern hotel, close to Cologne's cathedral and old town. The room was great and breakfast was excellent, but what really stood out was the staff. Whatever we needed, there was someone close at hand and all the staff were friendly and helpful.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

Room cleaning wasnt that accurate and didnt pay attention that the tea cups are missing. The nacho plate we had at bar plüsch in the hotel was rewarmed atleast twice and not freshly made.

we ordered room service quit a lot and it was great. Amazing breakfast, amazing night snack. Close to the trainstation and cathedral. Many food options also for costumers who eat halal close to the hotel ( Weidengasse). With tram you are quick in the city ( Neumarkt etc). Amazing 5 days.

Leaving

Everything , it's just perfect as always stopped here many times, and a big thank you to Ralph on Concieage, for all your help, this staff member is amazing and so helpful greeted us like a old friend but was still professional , which just made us feel so at home

Parking wasn’t convenient.

The room we stayed in was exceptional and even had a bath. Clean room. Coffee and tea facilities also present. Great stay. Umbrellas offered also which was a bonus during the time we stayed.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

Excellent location; very close to the main station - within walking distance; and the Dom is also on the doorstep of the hotel. A typical business chain hotel with all the required facilities. A hearty breakfast with a big bread selection.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

Instant coffee powder rather than coffee machine with pods.

Excellent room service dinner. Excellent experienced concierge and most reception staff. Excellent rooms with all one needs for a hotel stay.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

The room was very clean and the bed was very comfy. The hotel was in the most perfect location - situated minutes from the train station and the cathedral. All the staff were very friendly and helpful and the check in and check out was very easy. We’re very grateful for our stay at The Marriott and would definitely recommend to family and friends. Thank you!

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

I was ill and the staff were so considerate and accommodating. Couldn't praise them highly enough. Especially Ms Marion Muller, who arranged for medical care.

• Grand Deluxe Double Room

I requested parking, and there was none available when we arrived. Not terrible as the public parking next door is cheaper.

Great breakfast buffet with fresh pancakes. Clean and quiet.

• Grand Deluxe Double Room

No complimentary water in room. No parking available. Asked for a double bed and was given 2 single beds. Very expensive considering facilities.

Location was good

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

Breakfast could have been included in the price! 27 euros for breakfast is quite expensive. So we had breakfast somewhere else!

The room was a good size, very comfortable beds, and plenty of towels in the bathroom.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

Breakfast is quite expensive if you don't have big appetite and why do they have sachets of 'creamer' and no milk available for coffee in the rooms.

You know exactly what you are going to get, a lovely room with excellent toiletries, comfy bed and hotel beautifully decorated for Christmas. Breakfast was great, something for everyone in our party. Hotel in an excellent location.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

Hotel staff very friendly and helpful, the hotel is very central and convenient to everything. The room was very spacious and relaxing. Lovely to end the day with a drink in the bar.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

A bit pricey (140 Euros/night = 210CAD), but worth it. I likely wouldn't pay so much if it was an extended stay, but for the weekend it was good value.

Stayed here for a weekend trip from Amsterdam to explore the Christmas markets. Beautiful hotel, conveniently located near the main train station (5min walk). Roomy in-room safes, tea & coffee in room, nice toiletries, comfy bed. We booked a late train on our last day so that we could spend more time exploring, and the hotel staff very nicely kept our luggage in a locked storage room after we'd checked out.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

Had to ask reception two days running for tea/coffee facilities to be replaced in room. Dirty mugs weren't changed, plus we had one tea bag and no milk left when we first arrived.

Excellent choice of breakfast. Beds extremely comfortable.

As above

There was nothing wrong with the hotel. The only complaint I have is with Booking.com, since when they quoted they never mentioned that the price was EXCLUSIVE of VAT. In fact, on check out, I was made to pay for VAT. City tax is understandable, which I paid separately. I must have used booking.com for over 500 trips, and never had this problem. Will never use them again

• Grand Deluxe Double Room

Very small old tv, staff at reception were very good but restaurant staff were below average. Hotel is a bit dated some rooms are better than others so check when you are making a booking, felt more like a good 4 Star than a 5 Star Hotel.

Location, good breakfast.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

We ordered two beers and a water in room service and had to wait 20 minutes. Then called again as it wasn't delivered and again had to wait over ten minutes before it was finlly brought up. Half an hour for a few drinks??!

Nice hotel with good location just a minutes walk from the station. Big rooms and nice bathroom. Although no bath tub. Just shower. The staff is pleasant over all.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

The toilet is a bit austere and somewhat outdated for a 5 star business hotel. The bedroom style could be a bit tastier and more elaborated/sophisticated.

It is a very nicely located business hotel next to the Rhine, the Dom (Cathedral) and downtown Cologne. Breakfast is sumptuous and served in a nicely decorated brasserie. The staff are quite kind and attentive. We were given a relatively spacious double bedroom in the 6th floor with a nice view over the city skyline. The gym and the two saunas are nice.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

Prices in the restaurant were expensive , but this was expected.

Really spacious room, good bathroom with replenished toiletries everyday. Staff very helpful at all times (concierge gave us a free bottle opener). Little shop in lobby was fab for confectionery, crisps and alcohol to take to your room.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

The hotel doesn't have a swimming pool and parking is rather expensive.

Clean, friendly staff, great choices at breakfast. Will come back when in Cologne.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

I have no complaints about the hotel. However, due to my inexperience with the area I will say that I took a taxi from the airport to the hotel and the taxi charged €45. Then after I got to the hotel I realized how close the train station was. So upon my return to the airport I took a train that was only €2,80. Really wish I'd known that before.

I was traveling through Europe for 15 days and most of my hotels ranged from €100-150 but out of all of them this was the nicest hotel. The bed was big and comfy, the room was clean and felt secure. The only hotel to give me 2 key cards like they do in the U.S. It's right next to the train station so easy to travel to and from. Also, the train station has an excellent food court so there were many good options to choose from for dining out. I got to try schnitzel and it was delicious! It is also right next to the cathedral and only about a 5 minute walk.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

Breakfast is too pricey, but there are sufficient alternatives at the train station and nearby old town.

Elegant, room is spacious with good amenities, within walking distance to Koln train station, bed is huge, very clean. Overall good value for money.

• Grand Deluxe Double Room

Indian (or Arabic) bartender as much arrogant as Trump, most probably overproud of working in american hotel. Other staff were extremely helpful and friendly, especially the one from south east asia (where I am from)

Room is much bigger

• Grand Deluxe Double Room

No minibar?! İn a 5 star hotel, hotel facilities are average compared to a normal 5 star hotel. İf it was cheaper and 4 stars maybe it would be a 8out of 10

• Executive Double Room with Lounge Access

Nothing really...except, because of the Food Fair, ANUGA, prices really shot up quite dramatically by 5x's the normal / regular rate...but other than that, everything was really done in such a professional manner and service was truly outstanding.

The Executive Room with access to the Executive Lounge was so convenient and the selected items during certain time of the day were very good. The Breakfast selection in the main restaurant FOU, was really amazing and great for every discerning palate! They really have something for everyone!! Great Job, Marriott Cologne!!

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

The bathroom is small and has bad ventilation.

Room is ok, but the bathroom could be more comfortable. Bed is great. Breakfast has good variety and quality. Location is good, right next to the station and restaurants.

• Grand Deluxe Double Room

It could have been cleaner. Other guests extremely loud. When we said something at desk we were meet with blank faces. Also a half eaten dessert was left in the mini frig. When we complained, again meet with blank faces. Not very friendly or charming, we were told it would be taken care off. However no compensation. That afternoon we did find a small fruit basket with juice and an apology note waiting for us in our room. Expect when traveling to Germany good service, but if you expect that extra mile or smile go to Italy. I speak fluent German and was traveling with a German. When I complained to her, she said that is just how it is.

Excellent location, great for business travelers. However for holiday it lacks charm. It is a big American style chain hotel.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

Breakfast was not a relaxing experience. The service staff was very loud and I could not avoid the constant crashing and banging of cutlery and plates despite sitting in different areas of the dining room. The styling of the dining room seemed very outdated - I felt like I was walking into a barn from the 1950's or thereabouts.

Lovely large room decorated in a classic style which isn't my normal preference but it ihas been done in a very tasteful way. Great to see an iron in room and a nice big vanity in the bathroom. The room was very quiet.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

Despite being a fivestar hotel , standard rooms have have no slippers, bathrops. Mini bar is empty. I asked for American breakfast with no pork. I received only one fried egg. They didn't even bother to find alternative to pork bacon and sausage. Poor lousy service. A fivestar hotel should go the extra mile to satisfy the customer.

Location in center of the old city center . Spacious room.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

No face flannels in bathrom but used small hand towels instead so OK. Toiletry bottles too hard to squeeze, or perhaps empty, so bring your own.

Breakfast too expensive if one does not eat for the rest of the day but room service breakfast very good choice instead and nicely served on good size tray. Fridge empty so can store own stuff and instead there is a little shop at concierge on ground floor. Security much improved now both at entrance and lifts. Plenty of storage space and proper shoe rails.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

The room was noisy from 23.00h to 2.00am, there was a courtyard in the middle with access from the hotel bar and people were there smoking and drinking. Towells could be bigger.

Bed linens and pillows Big room

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

Nice, clean and large room. Everything essential is included in the room like ironing stuff, fridge, tea/coffee etc. The thing I liked the most is the location. Just a couple of walking to the Hauptbahnhof and the Dom, so to the hearth of the city.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

In room fridge, ice machines, convenient and secure parking, central location. The executive lounge was large with good meals and a view. The fitness room was large with good equipment, towels and washroom, plus saunas.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

It's far too expensive for what you get. The pillows when squeezed, smelled terribly bad. The staff promptly replaced them but the new ones smelled almost as badly. The music played in the corridors was too loud. The fragrance at the hotel entrance is probably too strong. At this price point I would expect more toiletries, free slippers and robes. No robe or slippers were provided although I saw other guests using them. Is that because I booked through Booking.com and not through their own site?

Breakfast is top notch. Location. Comfy bed. Spacious room. Really good gym and Sauna. Nice bar/lounge area.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

I saw a bug called a 'silverfish' on the bed so I squashed it and it left a mark on the sheets. These bugs survive off dropped food around the house. The mark was still there the day we checked out so I know the sheets weren't changed in 3 nights. I looked under the bed and it was so dirty. It looked like the maid just sweeps everything under the bed. Really really dirty!!!

The Room was spacious and the hotel is located in a good spot.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

We were charged 9 euros for a bottle of water with our meal!

A comfortable room and good meal in the restaurant. So convenient for the railway station.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

Parking expensive as compared to other paying parking in the area. To get to the city centre you have to cross the main station, which is not ideal. Toiletries should be recyclable these day, not come in individually packaged bottles/containers.

Very pleasant stay overall. Staff perfect. Particularly quiet, which I always appreciate.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

• Grand Deluxe Double Room

Very much a hotel for travelling business people. We were placed in a room far from the lifts and very isolated from everyone else.

Dinner in the restaurant was very good value. The bartender went out of his way to find out how to make espresso martini and did an excellent job. The best gym we came across in our travels. Very handy for those using the trains, close to rail station.

Nothing really.

Lovely room, comfortable and quite. Good location to train and old town. Fabulous gym, really good machinery and selection of free weights. The weather was rainy whilst there so really appreciated large selection of English speaking TV channels. Reception staff lovely.

The room was dirty. There was so much human hair on the carpet. I was charged for a bottle of water that was not identified as being provided at a cost. I made a mistake on booking a room because the software kept designating a date I didn't want. I thought I fixed this but it turned out the software reverted to the original date I didn't choose. I still went to the hotel and booked other dates expecting they would be reasonable and refund some or part of the mistaken date. They did not. I should not have acted in good faith and booked with them again.

I was in room 476. The room was large and well appointed.

Views limited, but you are in the very centre of the city.

Excellent. Very clean, helpful staff, good location. Particularly enjoyed the Executive Lounge. Very close to the railway station.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

Price for breakfast buffet seemed very high, so we tended to grab breakfast in the city most days

Slightly away from the centre but very close to bus station and 2mins walk to the Rhine. Lovely large rooms for the price and nice facilities. The staff were helpful and friendly - would definitely stay there again

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

Car park is very narrow to navigate and exit, some maintenance work being done in our corridor so the carpet was pulled back and walls and grills exposed, a little unsightly and no sign of it being rectified. Room looked onto a courtyard looking into other rooms and a block of flats. Coffee and tea in the room was very limited, 1 sachet each and not even a courtesy biscuit!! We wasn't given any information at check in regarding breakfast or check out time. Breakfast itself was excellent but after filling in our room details and handing it to the waitress, we were left to work out what we could have! Breakfast was included for us but with a choice of 3 options we wasn't sure what we were entitled to. So we just helped ourselves to pretty much everything! Expected a little more finesse for the money paid, just felt it was a little lacking and the service wasn't what I thought it would be. Shame really!

Comfortable bed, extremely clean, excellent breakfast, lovely decor, very central location

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

This is the most satisfied hotel I have ever stayed in Germany. Stuff are friendly and room is large enough and comfortable and it's only five minutes walk to the central station. Breakfast is great and price is acceptable.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

Outdated hotel. And the prices in the bar and for breakdast really rediculous. We ordered 5 white wine, Total price more the €60😞. And we had late breakfast around 10:30 and they where already cleaning up . Bit strange when you pay €28 each

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

Toiletries in the bath could have been better. Adequate, but not good.

Great location, staff were patient, helpful and friendly !! Room was as expected for the high standards of Marriott. Breakfast buffet was AWESOME !!!!

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

The hotel was in an excellent position to explore Cologne and get to from the airport, the rooms were great and the staff very friendly and helpful, because we were so close to the city other than sleep we did not send much time in the hotel

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

It was just a wrong weekend I guess. Prices more than double compared to other weekends, some events going on in the city. And for the top price we got a room with a terrible view of the wall of an adjacent building. I understand the way it works in a market of supply and demand, but this was ridiculous and for me enough to never come here again. Still 7,5 because the hotel wasn't bad of course, just far too expensive for a room like this.

It's a nice hotel with good facilities.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

This isn't a big thing, but notice of the city tax to the bill would have been nice to know upfront when booking. It wasn't to much, around 5%, it was more that it was unexpected.

It was a good experience and the staff were always pleasant and helpful and the Location was perfect!

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

Room was spacious and clean. Good Wi-fi connection. Walking distance to Cologne central station and Cathedral and to Rhine River. Easy to find food near location.

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

Our room was located on the ground floor and it was like underground and no view.

Breakfast was good as you have 3 options to choose from . Location is great near the station and the center .

• Deluxe King or Twin Room

This hotel is everything a traveler needs and it is located just couple hundred steps from all central points of interest in Cologne, like Dom Cathedral or Museum of Chocotate. Overall it is a great hotel price/value wise.

Browse Cologne Marriott Hotel traveller photo gallery