Reviews of Grand Hostel Berlin Urban This is the official star rating given to the property by an independent third party - the Hotelstars Union. The property is compared to the industry standard and scored based on price, facilities and services offered. Use the star rating to help choose your stay!

Sonnenallee 6, 12047 Berlin, Germany

#374 of 579 hotels in Berlin

Quiet and good hospitality

Maybe breakfast is a bit expensive, not more than in a regular hotel though, and you have other options on the same street.

It is a good place to stay for a few days. Although it has a hostel part, there was not a lot of noise. The staff was quite welcoming and nice to explain anything we needed. The location is good, not really at the center of anything but in the middle of several hoods we wanted to explore.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

Good value for money, but better not to stay here at summer time.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

According to locals, the hotel neighborhood is not the best place for walking. Shower in the cabin was locked and we were unable to unlock it until calling the lobby and obtaining suggestions from them. Air conditioner was virtually non-working (at least during the hot summer) and when you open the window it becomes a way too noisy for a sleep.

The hotel is really close to transportation (M-buses and subway station). The big mall and plenty of small shops and restaurants are in the neighborhood as well (especially if you like Turkish and Arabian food).

nice stay, great area
    • Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Somebody took my bed and the hostel did nothing about it, only to apologize and thats it. I would have like for them to come to the rooms and tell the person to move. Some of the people staying in my room thought that the bathroom place was a nice to leave all of their bathroom stuff almost leaving no space for everyone else.

The staff is very nice, minus a young lady that had a very strange attitude, like I was annoying her with my questions. Great bakery in front of hostel.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

I would not recommend this hostel to anyone, it is an unfriendly heat trap.

The air conditioning did not work when I stayed in this 'Grand Hostel', while it was well over 30 degrees in my bedroom. When I went to reception I was informed that the only solution was "to book another hotel for the night". I replied this was a piece of shit solution - yes, that was a very harsh reply, mind you it was 11 PM, the heat was unbearable having just a tiny window to change the air and the guy behind the counter showed no single interest in making anything better - I was told I just called the receptionist a piece of shit and that this was grounds for expulsion and thus, soon I would be trespassing. I evaded them "calling the police" by packing my bag in 10 min. All I received was the booking fee of my second night. So for the whole ordeal of staying in a piece of shit room for an hour I lost 60 euros. Anyway. Being a frequent traveller, this has never happened to me. I have doubted putting this review up for a few days, because it was an embarrassing, and a terrible experience to deal with such unwillingness and un-helpfulness at the counter. Long story short: I would not recommend this hostel to anyone, it is an unfriendly heat trap.

not much to like this time.

1. Clean.
    • Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

1. Towel is for extra price. 2. Charged me 10 euros more then I booked on booking.com 3. Didn’t provide the reserved beds, had to discuss the matter with the German boy. 4. Totally impolite German boy red haired guy at night. Argued with me, told that he can’t guarantee anything in solving my matters. Mixed the beds so that my mother who is old! was not able to get the right lower bunk until I solved with other guys myself! I hope that guy will loose his job he can’t work with people. 5. No fridge. 6. No kitchen.

1. Clean. 2. Comfortable bed. 3. Several toilets. 4. Looks more like a hotel.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Perfect welcome, very nice position, good for quality

Everything nice.

Perfect position if you like to be close to Neukölln/Tempelhof/Kreuzberg area. Super nice welcome with a frei Bier included. Very close to Hermannplatz U-Bahn.

The room was nice, perfect for 5 days trip
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The air conditioning was broken, the room was very hot even if we had a mini fan in our room

The room was nice, perfect for 5 days trip The position is perfect, near the station and the nightlife around the hotel is great, you will not need to move too far for a nice beer :)

Clean and good space.

2 WC per room in dorm. Very clean and good space ( stayed in 8 ppl.) Good shower. Safe. Friendly staff. One metro line to Alexanderplatz. Many restaurants around.

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

The hostel was really clean and all the staffs I met were very friendly as they made sure to answer every question I had to ask. The hostel is close to the metro that connects you to literally every where in Berlin. I really did enjoy my stay for the two nights I spent.

Great location, easy to access with public transport.

I missed coffee machine for breakfast and I missed slippers and bathrobe. Everything else was perfect.

Great location, easy to access with public transport. Very clean and comfortable.

The rest of the staff was pretty friendy, especially the...

Upon arrival I was charged around 8EUR for bed sheets. This tax was not described anywhere in booking.com and receptionist looked at me like it is normal. It is not normal! The same blond female receptionist named Roman was passive agressive and unpleasant. Now I get that she’s a ‘Berliner’ and probably just trying her best, but after sleeping 2 hours during the night and a long 6 hours trip the last thing I wanted to to deal was her rude customer service. If I wouldnt have paid upfront before visiting,I would have left the hotel on the spot after experiencing her customer service. She made me feel like sh1t. She definetly needs to get some proper training and change her tone/face mimics/attitude whatever. Or just learn from her british colleague. The whole hotel is under construction and in the hallways you are walking between construction materials. In the morning you can hear drilling. Hotel is next to a busy Hermanplatz street so there is loud noise coming from outside. AC was sh1t so during the night you have to open window which forces you to listen to that loud street and sirens every 30min. Breakfast bufet was overpriced and they have no clear system on how to check if you paid for bufet service so prepare to be asked whether you paid every fricking morning. Wifi is totally messed up. You get password for an account which disconnects every 10min and then you have to reconnect. Totally weird and not normal.

The rest of the staff was pretty friendy, especially the british guy.

Overall really really acceptable

The price. The advertised price was okay but when paying here online, it was about 15 per cent higher. Then at the hotel we had to pay for sheets also.

I liked it. They had apples and sparkling water in the room for us. We had two single beds that were really tiny, though. We thought the price was just a little bit high (it is a hostel, not a hotel; sheets cost extra, and the price here was one thing but the final bill was about 15 per cent more (all booked directly here). I don't know why.

Great place to stay but pay attention to bed-sheet fee

What we understand that the owners of the hotel has been changed and they are eager to charge every single thing such as `` bedsheet fee``. Me and 3 of my friends found it extremely ridiculous to give 3.5 Euros per person( and it was a surprise because it was not written on their Booking.com ad) for something which should be in ``standard package`` for a hostel!! If I stay in your place why would you charge me also for the bedsheet?? What is the point for that? Its as same as you go to cinema to watch a movie and they charge you for `seat`` . Same logic: in order to watch the movie at a cinema I should sit, in order to stay in a hotel I should sleep on a bed. I hope they change this absolutely meaningless fee policy.

Location of this hostel lets the traveler commute easily not only to main touristic ``must see`` places but also popular, hipsterish cafes, bars and art galleries in Berlin. Price wise its quite affordable and common space at the entrance gives you the opportunity to interact with other guests. Premises are quite nice and clean. Staff at reception: short hair german girl, german dude and a very friendly night shift staff from Kenya deserves a big thanks! They were very helpful, warm, welcoming and friendly.

Staff was really helpful, room was clean, bed was soft -...

Room got a bit hot overnight. I could still hear a bit of a city the noise despite the fact that my room was facing the inner courtyard. However that is the price to pay to stay at Hermannplatz :-)

Staff was really helpful, room was clean, bed was soft - question of preference. Upon request I got a quiet room facing the inner courtyard, which I really appreciated. Location is amazing.

We would never stay at this hotel again nor recommend it to anyone.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

We were one day late arriving because one of our group became ill on board the flight and needed hospital treatment. However the hotel told us on the telephone that they could still accommodate us for three nights. However that proved to be false and when we arrived they said they could only offer us the original two remaining nights. Had I known that we would have found an alternative hotel. Despite these circumstances they were completely unsympathetic and charged for the first missed night! We were offered a supposedly equivalent hotel for the remaining night which would have cost over twice the price. I found us a far better alternative myself through Booking.com at the same price. The hotel is at a noisy traffic junction. It was hot weather and the air conditioning was quite ineffective so we had to have the window open to admit some air and suffer the noisy traffic with consequent loss of sleep.

“Friendly staff, great location”
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

It was really noisy, our room just near the intersection.

Super friendly staff, have a welcome drink at the check-in and also apples and water for a complimentary, comfortable bed, great location nearby the bus stop and subway.

Great location, big bathroom, very good transportation...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

A/C was very weak and therefore the room was hot so we had to keep the windows open all day and night. Night traffic is huge and really noisy, sirens wailing every 5 mins.

Great location, big bathroom, very good transportation options from the hotel, EUR 15 discount on Uber rides, welcome amenities

Location and convenience of the hotel.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The cleaners doesn't do rooms after 12pm. An access card should be given to access the hotel from outside.

Location and convenience of the hotel.

Good for a short stay. Unadvertised bonus is that travelers can go to nearby gym for free
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Small shower with always wet floor around. Noisy intersection. You have to chose between fresh air and quiet room. No coffee maker in a room

Close to subway. Plenty of places to eat around. Clean room. Helpful and friendly staff

Location perfect, simple but comfortable rooms.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast expensive (altough there is a nice breakfast place opposite the road)

Location perfect, simple but comfortable rooms. Ideal for a short city visit.

Value for money - quite cheap, very clean and decent rooms
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The pillow was too soft and uncomfortable. The girl receptionist was rude or simply wierd - couldn't quite tell, but I didn't have a good feeling talking to her

Value for money - quite cheap, very clean and decent rooms

Nice and clean room.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Fridge in the room would have been nice.

Nice and clean room. Location was excellent, underground right behind the corner so it was very easy to get around the city. Lots of nice restaurants closeby!

I liked it, but would find a hotel with parking if I am driving.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I was not given the wifi when I checked in, although they do have it and there was no info in the room about it. There is no on site parking and to bring in our suitcases we had to pull up on the curb around the corner because right in front of the hotel is a large bus stop with lots of traffic. Parking is nearby at the ParkPlatz by the mall and is only 5 Euros per day.

It was nearby the mall and other businesses, the hotel entrance was easy off the street with the card scanner that opened the doors. It was clean and comfortable.

The breakfast was good, the staff is helpful, exactly next...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Due to the location next to the metro, at night it was noisy.

The breakfast was good, the staff is helpful, exactly next to the metro station so the transportation was easy. There are a lot of restaurants around the hotel.

Great location for transport and very comfortable
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I would have liked a kettle in the room to make coffee and also an iron but the room itself was very comfortable.

It was really near Hermannplatz, which is an excellent hub for public transport. I hope to stay there again before too long...

Standard Hotel
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The area wasn't the best and the fireworks going off constantly were a problem. It was new years however so I don't imagine this happens all year round

Staff were polite and the room was clean and nice

Good restaurant in near by area, it is very close to subway...
    • Single Room - Non-Smoking

Bed were not proper, outside noise, very dull lights in rooms(infact no ceiling lights), toilet seat was yellowish, Illegal substances dealers outside the entrance gate, room was very small.

Good restaurant in near by area, it is very close to subway station

I cannot recommend the hotel, only in case I have no other choice.

Payment required just at the day of arrival without having seen at least a room (very unusual, in all other german hotels payment always at departure). Hotel has no fitness and other services, receptionist quite sarcastic, price with breakfast 90 eur (quite expensive). Next time I choose IBIS or similar.

Breakfast perfect. Room clean, enough space. Room 212 was oriented inside of block of houses (outside was heavy traffic and noisy) so I was satisfied with position of room and room comfort.

Good location, great beds, awful wifi
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

When I arrived I was given the wifi password. I soon discovered that it is viable for only ONE device. So every time I used my mobile ( cell) phone then my laptop would not work and vice versa and I had to keep logging back in. When I mentioned this to the staff member she basically just shrugged her shoulders and I had to argue for another wifi code so each device could be online. She very begrudgingly gave me another code. Considering that wifi was not capped this seems like a ridiculous way to offer customers access as all other hotels just have one password and you can connect how ever many devices you want. Additionally the wifi dropped out continuously over the 5 days I stayed there so I would say if you want to sleep really well and then be out all day- this is the place for you. If you need good wifi for work or for streaming movies for kids etc then find somewhere else.

Location and close proximity to the train station is great. The bed was THE most comfortable bed I've ever slept in!!

In the beating heart of Neukölln.
    • Single Room - Non-Smoking

A quiet, comfortable and relaxing hotel, smack bang in the heart of Neukölln. Easy access to transport links, being right next to Hermannplatz UBahn station, as well as a multitude of bus stops which cover a number of routes.

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

Clean and decent,friendly staff,lovely buffet breakfast...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Clean and decent,friendly staff,lovely buffet breakfast,UBahn and busses round the corner,petrol station on another corner with a small shop (good for survival on Sunday :))

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

Great location but staff thinks they are smarter and superior. They basically took my shoes.
    • Single Room - Non-Smoking

I forgot my running shoes in my hotel room and realized a couple of days after I checked out. I know they were still in the hotel room because I placed them there when I arrived and directly went to my apartment when I checked out. I did not pack them, they were below the closet where I forgot them. I called them to ask and they said they didn't find them when they cleaned the room. The receptionist started by telling me, and that's at 7:30 AM "We will send housekeeping again today to check for you". This is the first lie considering they didn't already send them that day AND she later stated the room was occupied so I needed to wait a bit. The hotel can easily check the logs, see which housekeeper was in my room for cleaning and figure out who took my running shoes. Either they took them or they forgot to remove them from the room and the client took them. It's either one of those. They weren't helpful at all but acted like they were. I wouldn't recommend with a ten foot pole.

Great location and breakfast

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

Bad neighbourhood, clean hotel
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I traveled with my wife and booked a doubel room for us both together, when we got to the hotel at 13:00 they still didnt had a room for us..after one hour waiting The lady on the rezepsion was happy to announce the she have 2 single rooms for us. So i had to explain that we booked 1 doubel because we are a married and would like to stay together....... Anyway- it looked like they tried to save a free double room for other gasts. Wifi in room is free but not working well. The street outside is not nice at all. We had a feeling that every moment somthing could happen....

Very clean

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

Not great. But fine.
    • Single Room - Non-Smoking

Dead bug in my room they wouldn't clean the room when I asked. Had to ask for towels and room cleaning two days in a row, after I told them about the dead bug. They blamed me.

Night staff was much nicer than day staff.

Everything was exactly as presented on the booking.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

German WiFi standard with additional logging and limited data. Still OK if you're on holiday and need the internet only occasionally.

Everything was exactly as presented on the booking.com site, therefore no unpleasant surprises. Kebab and bakery store across the street are great. Directly on the U-bahn station.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

Fantastic location, exactly what we needed!
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The room is a bit small but absolutely fine for the limited time you spend there during a weekend break.

The bed was really comfy and the shower was good quality! The hotel was really conveniently located for us - not too far from the airport or the city centre and really close to Kreuzberg where all the restaurants and bars are located. Perfect!

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

Very nice place to stay near subway and markets.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

There's no refrigerator in the room and if you want to have a cold dink this is not possible. I think a small one must be in the room. I saw even the place for refrigerator.

Big room, very well sonudproof, near subway, near mall, a lot of minimarkets, a very nice an good play to stay. Clean room.

An "OK" place to stay
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I booked a "queens room" but ended up with a twin room. The only free "queens room" was in the smoking area. The twin room was rather noisy and cold and not very cosy. Wifi is no a real wifi - every device gets a limited amount of bad connection.

Good location, nice restaurants around, shopping center etc. Nice and polite staff.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

Great budget hotel in awesome location but don't expect much of free wifi
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Free wifi was metered and slow. You'll need to sign in using a unique login given to you from the front desk which allowed for only a small amount of internet access for a 24 hour period.

Great location and fantastic value.

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

Great price / quality value
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Value for money. Well soundproofed, barely heard sound from Hermannplatz, a square with some movement. Well located in terms of public transportation.

• Reviewed: 1 February 2017

An excellent hotel for even the lonliest traveller

Nothing comes to mind

I have used this hotel many times and it often feels like coming home. I feel valued by the staff. Th location is excellent. It is possible to travel by bus from the airport to just outside the door and from the door to the main railway station. Access to the city by U-Bahn could not be better. All in all a good hotel to book.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

Pleasant stay in Days Inn
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Make sure you ask for a room not looking to the streets. Berlin has a nonstop nightlife and you will hear it in rooms on the street side :)

The location is really good, Ubahn is very near and the the district itself is great! Staff is really helpful, and the room is quite ok.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

+ very close to metro and bus stations;
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

- limited internet - 2GB / stay - no one informed us from the beginning; - the heating radiator only works on the maximum level - way too hot in the room after 10 minutes!!

+ very close to metro and bus stations; + very good connections with the main attractions of the city; + it is worth its price.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The television did not have channels in english and NO News channels.

This hotel is great value for money with good transport links to the rest of the city.

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

Been before, would go again.
    • Double or Twin Room

The cost of breakfast is too high for me which is why we went elsewhere. Tea and coffee facilities in the room would've been good too.

Easy to travel around. Close to family. Close to a lovely bakery for breakfast. Staff very helpful especially as we don't speak German.

• Reviewed: 24 November 2016

Good location for a short stay
    • Double or Twin Room

Bathroom shower was too compact with a flimsy curtain that let water go everywhere. They need a better set up than that. It's not a pleasant experience having a shower like that.

Bed was comfortable. Room was clean. Good location for transport and shopping with large department store nearby. Staff were helpful.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

Very nice room, friendly and helpful staff.

A bit expensive.

Very nice room, friendly and helpful staff.

Really comfortable and wonderful

Really comfortable and wonderful

Breakfast was delicious!

Breakfast was delicious!

Helpfull crew
    • Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Hidden cost, wrong information on booking.com site 😒

Helpfull crew

Place is good.

Hairs in the bed from former guest.

Place is good.rooms are ok.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

The room was very comfortable and the prices were great.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The shower soap was never refilled even after asking several times

The room was very comfortable and the prices were great. Zone was very convenient.

Price is ok, location is not.

Location is messy, no visible signs/name around hotel a lot is under construction & noise from 7 am.

Personnel was kind.

Uncomfortably hot

No air conditioning and weren’t told. Female receptionist very rude when we asked about it.

Location ok. Two of the reception guys very helpful.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

It was conveniently close to the metro.

The room was incredibly hot and the air con very weak. Fortunately there was a fan available.

It was conveniently close to the metro.

Simply a great place to stay when visiting Berlin

Informative staff. Very helpful

It was great time.

Nice stuff, comfort. Great!

Friendly staff.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Friendly staff. Near U- Bahn. Clean and nice.

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

There was no lock in the bathroom and it was a mixed dorm.
    • Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

There was no lock in the bathroom and it was a mixed dorm. No plugs by the bedside

Not really interesting

Noisy place and bedsheets very synthetic and hot and matress unconfortable.

I recommend this Hostel!

Had a great stay! Staff and breakfast were awesome! Thanks

Gina and the whole staff are very uneducated and rude

Gina and the whole staff are very uneducated and rude

Internet could be better.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Internet could be better. Limited to 1 GB per day? And having to sign in every time?

Our room was cery clean.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Our room was cery clean.Breakfast was good.

Scruffy
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Shower was far too small Rude staff No coffee/tea facilities in the room Too hot in the room heating constantly on

Awesome! Enough for a weekend.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The bed was really soft. The metro station was close.

Dated but clean.

Close to U bahn & restaurants and bars.

Amazing hotel for good price. The staff was really friendly and kind, the hotel was 100% clean.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

It's really in the centre of Hermannplatz and very good location.

Very convenient to U Bahn.

Smoking in lobby

Very convenient to U Bahn.

Nice stay in Berlin
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Near the U-bahn for easy access to the all of Berlin.

I stay at this hotel once every year for the last 10 years

I love this hotel

Lady at reception extremely helpful.

Weak wifi

Lady at reception extremely helpful.

Very helpful and friendly male staff at the reception
    • Single Room - Non-Smoking

Female reception staff perhaps needs training concerning tone of voice, mimics and body language

Very helpful and friendly male staff at the reception

Comfortable hotel in a great location
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Room a bit noisy but there again it did overlook Hermannplatz