Reviews of Novotel Mainz 4 stars

Augustusstrasse 6, Oberstadt, 55131 Mainz, Germany

#14 of 30 hotels in Mainz

• Standard Single Room

- Free WiFi is extremely slow - Second room I stayed in had a non functioning main light, sink didn’t drain and shower temperature spiked randomly to burning hot. (First room I stayed in was totally fine)

- Very friendly and helpful staff at the reception except for one guy who seemed annoyed by my presence. - Very clean - Fast check-out - Location close to central station (10min walk)

• Standard Single Room

If only the wifi could be stronger for free...

Way exceeding my expectation. Though free wifi is pretty weak, but it was good enough for me to send some emails.

Standard rooms are ugly. Ugly art, poor use of space, office-grade chipped formica furniture. Not romantic, cosy, charismatic, or plush at all. Feels like standard or budget conference centre accommodation. Spacious though, and all facilities were included, such as safe, minibar, ironing set, hairdryer, etc.

Spa is fantastic. Beautiful and unique facilities. Small gym is good also. Staff were all very helpful. Restaurant food was surprisingly good.

The bed was a little uncomfortable and the drinks at the bar are very expensive.

Myself and my brother stayed at the Novotel for 3 nights, we was over visiting friends. The hotel was a lot better than I expected. The staff were friendly and helpful, the food was lovely. The room was nice and clean. We also took advantage of using the Spa facilities, which I would highly recommended, using the Spa on your visit. The town is a short 10/15 minute walk, with plenty of shops and of course the Cathedral to see. We would definitely stay here again.

• Standard Single Room

I would think in 2018 that fast internet should be standard and free. To have under 500 kb/s as free is unacceptable - then to have to pay for faster is an insult. The first hotel i have encountered in the last two years that does not have reasonable free internet.

Breakfast was good but expensive(18€ per person)

We arrived after midnight, but were welcomed by the friendly staff. Rooms were great, nice and comfy beds. Location is great, just off the motorway.

The washbasin was clogged already at arrival. I found the breakfast very good but also too expensive. Spa could have been cleaner. And it closes pretty early for Germany...

Had nice Spa area, but for the money I have expected it to be cleaner.. Toiletries were nice. Room was spacious, breakfast nice, but again, pretty pricey. I found the location nice. The underground areas are kept historical, I found that appealing as well .

Nice and welcoming staff, clean and well maintained hotel. Breakfast was fantastic, great coffee, a lot of choices (I especially loved the fresh fruit salad and salmon). Room was clean and spacious. Didn't have a chance to use the spa but there's a pool and sauna. Conveniently located approx. 10mins walk from main station.

The hotel description shows photos of a bar and restaurant in the basement with the city wall exposed. This was one of the reasons I choose the hotel. These room are only available for "special parties" you have to rent out the space. This should be noted on the website

This is the first European hotel I have stayed in that provides wash clothes, this is a plus. It is a beautiful hotel and a wonderful location to the old city.

Room was a bit dated, in need of a refurb. Very poor service in the restaurant, over an hour's wait for food to arrive at dinner. Difficult to find a seat at breakfast.

Good food in restaurant (when it eventually arrived). Efficient, helpful reception staff. Convenient location for main station.

The shower was horrible, hard to fix the shower handle so that the water was running sideways, plus hot and cold water were changing by themselves and impossible to regulate, it was warm water and then, suddenly very hot or cold. Location: not central enough.

The stuff, the view from the window, though you have to ask for the view. Walking distance from the train station.

I don´t want to elaborate it too much but Bathroom toilette bowl needs a bit more attention ( i´m so sorry to tell you this). Rooms are okay but can be a bit modernize :-)

Novotel Hotel has a perfect location. Walking distance to the city. Several nice Restaurants to choose from, all a short taxi ride away. It hast a comfortable and relaxing ambiance - from the Lobby to the breakfast room. We we´re not able to use the Gym, swimming pool and Sauna but we took some time to look for it. What really made our stay in the hotel perfect was the breakfast! The hotel personnels are friendly and always ready to help. We´re already planning for our next visit. Thank you so much for Novotel Hotel!

During arriving there where 5 employees at the reception talking with each other and no time and attention for us. Our registration was also complete wrong adminstrated. (Adres etc.) And our booking couldt not be found at first. In the room (454) next to our room (452) there was constantly very much noice (from television) so we goodn't sleep. I complained at 10:15 to the reception with no result. There was only 1 person at the reception and she couldn't leave (so she said). I complained again at 00:30 and than at last there was action and the noice stopped at 01:00. The next morning before 07:00 there was a lot of noice again. We complained again bij leaving and the answer we god was a little "sorry". We use often hotels for overnight stay's but Novotel Mainz wil be changed next time into the Hilton.

The breakfast was very good

The night menu isn't very good, mostly frozen pizzas and such. Horrible service by a woman in the bar, she was rude and unfriendly, and seemed utterly bored. We got the feeling she would have preferred not to serve us at all, since she suggested we go somewhere else to eat, although considering the menu (and service) it probably would have been a good idea.

Good bed, nice staff in the reception, good location, great parking, the pool and gym are also nice.

We had a special request for our one year anniversary that was not replied/fulfilled. Also, the wifi was hard to use at times.

We really enjoyed the sauna and easy access to the city area.

Our room was a little older, but it wasn't bad.

It was easy to park here. There is a garage under the hotel. There is also a restaurant on site. The staff all speak English which is super helpful. The room was nice and clean and there was free wifi.

• Standard Single Room

unhelpful staff at the front desk. I had problems with my in-room phone and when i called the front desk they said they could not do anything. This meant that my first night I was unable to get dinner ordered and had to settle for a very mediocre pizza from the bar. I also asked for an iron and ironing board only to be told they had no idea where it was and would "let me know", which they never did. I used to spa facility only to be rudely rushed out at closing time. I will not be going back to this hotel again. very disappointing.

decent breakfast buffet. clean rooms, good wifi

• Standard Single Room

Not modern type hotel. I had to plug out the night lamp in order to plug in the mobile charger. It is probably to expensive in comparison with more modern chains.

Rich breakfast table. Friendly staff at the reception desk.

nothing !

Everything in the breakfast bar was very fresh,staff were always smiling,the garden seating in Summer was amazing,plenty of tables and chairs for all the guests.

I expect a bit more for a 4 star superior hotel at the price I paid. But I can't complain at anything specific.

Very good service at dinner and good food. Good cleaning. Near train station and not far from Old town. Mainz is very nice.

WiFi connection very poor. I could not connect at all with my mobile phone, this was very annoying.

Nice big room. Good breakfast. Good parking facilities.

• Reviewed: 15 March 2017

• Executive Double Room

The only downside was the free WiFi limited at 256 Kb/s. I thought we had passed that era, especially since it's a 4-star hotel we're talking about, but alas... If they could fix just this one thing, it'd be just perfect.

Great location, clean and comfy. Friendly and very helpful staff. The room was a bit cold but we figured out how to turn on the heating. Pricy but super delicious breakfast!

Room for improvement. The hotel did not have maps to show how to get to the university. Problem. Their map was too small. Another problem. They could not change Canadian currency and there was no bank machine.

Rooms are spacious and clean.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

Looked like an old office space or hospital converted into a hotel. Room (Superior Double) had space, but no well spread. Very small TV. I paid an extra fee which wasn't pointed out to me so that I only noticed it at home (partly my fault). Air condition didn't work, discovered the heater the next morning.

Service around breakfast was extraordinary, with gluten and lactosefree products available upon request. Breakfast itself was good. Staff at check-in/out was quick and good. Bath room looked recently modernized, good toiletries.

Nice staff, big and comfortable rooms with great facilities. The hotel is about 8 minutes by walking from the central station and 15 minutes from the city center.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

Spa area only opens 10am-10pm on weekends (annoying when you're out all day and would like to go in early). Road outside was somewhat loud mornings (when window was open - with closed window nothing was heard)

Nice bar and friendly staff. Reception staff were helpful and beds were comfortable. Great location - short walk from the station and city centre but out of the city enough to get easy access to by car (you need an up-to-date sat nav to handle the one-way system).

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

No Vending or 24hr Snack location. Flies everywhere in the lobby, bar and dining area the entire stay. Our kids fixed plates, but wouldn't eat because of flies. We left and went to McDonalds. Parking expensive, garage is extremely difficult to understand the signage. We parked left 2 hours later, had to pay 10.00 to get out. Alerted front desk, we were told nothing could be done we would still have to pay another 18.00 for the remainder of our stay. We only stayed 1 night. Policy states a flat daily rate. Bar area full of flies and not attended during opening hours. Staff comfortable with telling clients where to go get help instead of actually helping themselves. Front desk sent me to ask someone in the dining room for help at the bar. Waiter who did not speak English tried help; but could only understand beer; he had no idea what Bailey's Irish Creme is. He had to go ask someone which took another 10 min.

The grounds were lovely; green grass and beautiful foliage everywhere. Wifi was decent.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

No air conditioning in my room. Maintenance couldn't fix so they brought a fan which wasn't going to cut it. I moved to another room but only after asking. The staff is grumpy. The breakfast is too expensive.

Parking garage is underneath the hotel. The hotel is in a great location.

• Standard Single Room

Sleeping while the window was open was not convenient because of the noise of passing cars.

Nice breakfast, friendly staf & a lot of light in the room.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

wifi is very slow breakfast menu needs to be changed (1 week everyday the same food)

location was great, food was great. staff were very helpful and nice

All was good

Clean room, comfortable bed, good breakfast, 10 minutes walk from the central station

It was lovely everyone was friendly even do i did not speak the german and did everything to make me fell confortable

One drawer and the bathroom door needed repair.

Spacious room, friendly and helpful staff, excellent food

It was too loud in the morning as obviously cleanin personal started to work at 5am.

Too long wait for food st restsurant

Location and riom

It would be nice to give the guests free parking in the garage

The bed was very comfortable.

Nice and spacious rooms, great bed. Gym and swimming pool: great. Very friendly staff as well.

The breakfast is really expensive (18e)

Spa with a very nice sauna, clean hotel and friendly staff made our stay in Novotel Mainz very pleasant.

WiFi

Excellent Staff

super breakfast

Weak W-Lan Smell in the rooms

Very slow wifi

Parking to be paid apart from the room and quite expensive.

in the room I could hear the noisy street although I through the booking.com page I asked for quiet room

• Standard Single Room

Wifi slow and not always in function

Breakfast is really spectacular

• Executive Double Room

location, comfort of the room

the parking was a bit expensive...

a very nice hotel, close to the city center :-)

• Standard Single Room

Expensive breakfast. Only coffee in a flask on the table. Few servers at breakfast time.

Good WiFi. Helpful staff. Quiet area. Safe.

Far from station with my heavy luggage, I struggled! If you do shopping, too far to walk back uphill.

Efficiency and friendly staff

All good, nothing to improve.

Great hotel, good location with excellent accommodation. The rooms are well thought-out, quiet and comfortable.

Expensive breakfast

Helpful staff and great location.

• Executive Double Room

Awful smell in sink. Too expensive.

Good size room for family with child. About 15 min walk from historic center

• Standard Single Room

WIFI is not good (too slow).

Location is good, but you have to ride up hill (10min walk) with luggage from Mainz Hbf. Room is clean.

Prices are not worth to the hotel. Extra charge for car parking.

Clean, silent.

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

Wifi is poor.

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

Very good

• Reviewed: 25 February 2017

WLAN did not work with my smartphone at all, tablet worked sometimes but was totally slow.

Staff was great! Really friendly and helpful people.

• Reviewed: 3 February 2017

Friendly clean comfortable

• Reviewed: 20 January 2017

The free Wifi sometimes was really slow

• Reviewed: 24 December 2016

Staff were very friendly

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

Staff bends over backwards to help answer questions and give directions. Rooms are spotless and comfortable. Food in the dining room is excellent.

• Reviewed: 23 November 2016

Everything was perfect

• Reviewed: 10 November 2016

Cold room

Close to University

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

poor choice of food in the restaurant in the evenings. I had expected more.

bar man was very chatty and friendly

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

There were too much flies in the restaurant and room.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

Handling of guests unbeatable!!

• Reviewed: 2 September 2016

The rooms were slightly dated and the room service menu was limited.

Super friendly staff and lovely quiet hotel perfectly located to explore Mainz

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

charging nearly 5 euros for a bottle of water in the room...? real impression killer

bed extremely comfortable

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

Very close to everything we needed, staff very helpful

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

Not seit found.

Hotel is quiet, just what I needed. I liked the hotel so well that I will return for a week.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

• Executive Double Room

The service was not very welcoming at all. Only two members of staff were nice to me for the 4 days I was there.

The room was great.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

Lady in the bar was a bit rude. Others were very helpful

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

Staff very pleasant and helpful, thank you Andrei👍

• Reviewed: 27 May 2016

Lack of plugs. I.e. Coffe station no where near plug. Not enough outlets to charge various -tablet. iPhone. Kindle etc Shower inconsistently hot. Toilet running excessively Phone system - no ring through when message in system not picked up

There are also 48 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Novotel Mainz traveller photo gallery