Reviews of Smart Stay - Hostel Munich City

#323 of 349 hotels in Munich

Based on 3961 hostel reviews

5.7

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

There were not enough power outlets and I found BED BUGS inside my luggage after leaving, this probably wasn't the staffs fault and somebody on my room brought them but it totally ruined my experience.

Apart form that, everithing was quite OK during my stay. Really nice staff and good rooms (8 people shared rooms).

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room

That was my first experience of staying in a hostel (rooms shared with other people) and I liked it. I felt safe and comfortable. So if I go next time to Munich, I will take the same hostel. Thank you.

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room

The kitchen is a disaster. The fridge was dirty and it doesn’t have plenty dishes for everybody just few plates and pans, any knife or fork. Any soap for whaling the dishes.

It has a good location near to a metro station and you can walk to the hall town and takes just 10 or 15 minutes. The rooms are comfortable and big.

• 6-Bed Room

No AC so slept with windows open and woke up with 15+ mosquito bites. Had to go to DR since terrible reaction to mosquito bites. Add fans to all rooms so sleeping with windows closed in an option.

Easy access to U Bahn or easy walk to downtown. Fair priced breakfast on site.

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room

They do not provide towels and soap. At least i didn't get any!

The staff is amazing and helpful, the rooms are big and there's enough space to move around, the bathroom was private for my room and it was nice.

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Unreliable WiFi, extremely loud in the nights as a few groups of school-children staying over

Nice staff, awesome location, luggage room, cheap laundry, nice and clean rooms, cheap bar

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

The kitchen was pretty dirty, some staff weren't very approachable, although check in isn't till 2pm because of cleaning the cleaning staff were cleaning my room till around 3pm...

A bit of a walk but easy to reach the city centre from. Plenty of public transport routes also. Dorm rooms are large.

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Have a really good stay at smart stay hotel. The room spaces is big and very clean. Everything is just nice for me. The staffs are ready to help all the time and so friendly.

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

A little bit, not comfort, but stay good all.

Smart Stay is a really good hostel. Location is perfect. I meet some good people and we were walking around of the city. The hostel has a really communicate staff and I would again book at the this Hostel.

• 6-Bed Room

Dirty window sill, stairs and the second floor of two-story beds. Broken window frame. Poor light in the room. Trash cans under the window. No free places at the hostel parking. Very dirty kitchen. The heating in the room was turned on the highest level while it was 25 degrees Celsius outside.

Nice stuff. Nice hall and breakfast zone. Clean bed linen and bathroom. We had a free breakfast after we have complained about dirtiness in the room.

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

I have to stay here for 3 nights and this is the worst experience EVER about hostel - Toilet very dirty, it seems not clean every days, floor was very slippery dirty and they don't even have a hanger in shower room, we have to put the shampoo and everything on the floor. - They didn't make the bed for that 3 days and super surprise that my bed maybe had used for a long time (dirt under bed sheet which not from me) - This hostel was far away from cozy thing, it seems a bed for rent for homeless people. People who come to stay almost drunker, stinky smell, snore etc. - I have too many red rashes all my hand and body like it from bed bugs and Yes! it's still itchy until now.

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Unfortunately, I found two bed bugs on my bed... luckily I didn’t get it bitten ...

Good location,the bed is comfortable and strong that you didn’t feel anything when someone was going to bed.

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Property is good. But 2 guys in the room was keep on talking till late night and disturbing others was a problem

OK.. But you can find better hostels close to city center for same cost..

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

The locker bunk where guest keep their belonging make loud noise when we open/close it.. so other guests will be disturbed by the noise.. The shower was small space sometime hard to move around, I think shower head should be other side lol (Unit 202)

Comfortable lounge to sit and chill at the lobby, it was relaxing for me to see 'Netflix and chill' Bed was comfortable with pillow and bed linen.. was great rest Staff have great customer service and assistance! Always look bright and flexible with many hostel guests Location was great cause near restaurants, subways and even the hostel have parking space for guest!

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Far location from the city center (20 min walk from the bus station ZOB Munich) Wifi was not working in the bed room. Facilities in the bed room and downstairs are quite limited. Bed does not have a lamp light and a charger port. Cleanliness in the bed room and common area needs to be improved. Common area downstaris is very small and noisy. Confusion with another Smartstay hostel on a different street.

Cheap stay Spacious and quiet bedroom & shower room

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room

WiFi only worked in the lobby, not in the room.

Bonus points for quiet location that was still within walking distance to everywhere I needed and wanted to go. Cleanliness in rooms and en suite bathrooms was wonderful.

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

No wifi at the 5th floor. The room I stayed there was 8 beds but only 6 lockers and it had a lot of space to fit 2 more lockers for the single beds, also it should had at least 2 chairs..

Good location, helpful staff.

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Light inside the room really weak, almost no light. Bathroom shower blocking. Kitchen almost no utensils to cook. Not enough plugs in the room for all the beds. General cleanness poor.

Location. Bed was quite comfortable.

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

The bathroom flooded and I heard many other guests complain to the front desks that their room did too. This seems like a regular occurrence. My bed had bed bugs as I woke up covered in bites that are still very itchy a week later

The room was spacious and had a nice view of the buildings lining the street. It was incredibly close to the train station which made commuting very easy

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Needed an actual common area with a bigger kitchen. Also needed a bathroom area so its not 8 people to a shower and toilet. Beds need to assigned so there isn't the constant problem of people taking other peoples beds, and the housekeeping remaking the beds every day doesn't help with this, especially since the way they make it you have to remake it every night.

The rooms do have a decent amount of space to them

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

the place was full of bed bugs and I have gotten bites horrible never go in hostel any more unless you carefully check that there are no bed bugs!

location is ok near goetherplatz

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

One of the guys was drunk, he was racist and he wanted to hit me and kicked me out of the hostel just 2 minutes after I booked in, worst experience ever

• 6-Bed Room

Bed Bugs - The place is full of Bed bugs. Got bitten head to toe. Other people in the hostel in different room had a the same experience.

Staff friendly and helpful

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

I chose to stay in a room of 6 people. the room was not cleaned with dust all over the place. The bathroom was a mess. With all due respect to the cleaners , i understand that it is up to us to keep the area clean but the bathroom at one point was so dirty that it was not cleaned and stayed as such till the end of my stay. I stayed for 5 nights but if i came but if i had come and gone for a night or 2 and saw such a dirty mess i would have rated this sooo much less

Breakfast was good for the price compared to other options in the city. The lounge was ok with good activity going on at all times of the day

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Muslims together no-muslims in one room. They explore their religion 5 times per day on the floor, so you can't use the room

Location and breakfast

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

I was happy with everything

Super friendly and helpful staff, very clean, new, and comfortable facilities. Awesome common areas and bar on the main floor and in the basement to meet people or get work done or just relax! Great location too, it's very close to a main metro stop and if visiting Munich you will DEFINITELY want to get a day pass for the metro

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

They don’t gave appointed beds. I arrived after midnight and the guy at the reception just told me to pick a bed and place a card with my name on it to mark it was mine, but everybody was already sleeping and the only bed I found vacant wasn’t tidy. Also, there’s lots of noise from the bar downstairs and people come in at even later hours and turn on the light, which I found weird.

The place is close to public transport and facilities and even close to walk to the city center.

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room

I was charged 49 Euro's for a shared dorm room - because I had booked online. If I had just turned up it would have cost half as much. With the 49 euros paid, I expected soap, towel - but was offered neither. Borrowed soap. Dried myself after a shower with my own t shirt. No wifi in room

location, good wifi in reception area

• Quadruple Room

As many others have observed before, this hostel has recently suffered from Bed Bugs! Thankfully NO bed bugs in Room 305 (2 bunk beds), although we did find 1 dead bed bug under the bed frame. The room was dusty and the curtains were dirty. However, it was clear that the hostel is trying to improve. Some skirting board would be good, as the bottom of the walls were cracked/unfinished. Remember its a hostel, not a hotel, nevertheless we could have done without some of the other residents running up and down the corridors at 3am in the morning, banging of doors and playing loud music. Come on guys (management of hostel) , please set up some basic house rules and clear guidance if they are not followed.

The Bathroom (room 305) was very near perfect, just please fix the broken mirror, before someone cuts themselves on it! The toilet was is a little odorous from previous users, but as said, fix that then it would be perfect. Breakfast buffer was great value, 5.90 Euro. Really loved the home baked bread rolls.

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room

No lockers in room. No chair. Would be nice to have plug near each bed.

Ok for one night. I gor exactly what I paid for. Even the location is not too far from centre.

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room

There were really few sockets in the room, I couldn’t charge my phone properly. And we had no wifi because we were on the 4th floor which shouldn’t be a problem normally.

The personel was really nice people.

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

I put 2 boxes of sausage in the fridge with labelling and it became 1 the next day :( The internet disconnects regularly

The room is nice, the staff are very helpful. There is free luggage room to put your luggage. Nice kitchen to prepare your own meal. Very convenient location.

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room

They dont number the beds so it us not possible to have a bed you want i asjed fir bottom bed .. did not get it until after 5days and there were bed bugs on the secons mattress with collapsed springs. Have bites in my arms and neck. The card system does not work

See above!

It was a pleasant enough place and good atmosphere...however I have picked up a bed bug and have now spots all over me! The bed I slept in had not been changed( 2 tissues under the pillow) and that's how I got bitten. Could you please issue me a refund. Peter Shuttleworth

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Lights for the dorm were dim, NOT ENOUGH plug sockets for the occupants staying there, room was too hot and they advertised loads of bottles of coke at reception but when you went to buy a drink they would tell you to go to the bar, well what's the point of displaying them behind the reception? I know there is a bar all I want is that bottle of Coke behind you.

Free to use computers, though when I used one, there was this creepy 50 year old something that must of been using the computer for at least 8 hours and when I came back he was sleeping on the chair, also cool elevator and kitchen facilities if the kitchen isn't cramped. Beds were comfy.

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

The staff are excellent! Very friendly and informative. I was there for work so I would need to work late into the night and stayed at the bar, which they kept open (not serving drinks) but so i had a place to work. I would 100% stay here again. More ideal for a leisure stay unless you get your own room.

Booked a double bed, wasnt expecting 2 single beds put together to make it look like a double bed. Such a dissappointment! Wifi unfunctional in the room. There was so much toilet paper provided but no soap in the bathroom!

The location is very good. The room was clean.

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

I couldn't connect to the WiFi network and neither my roommate could

I liked the fact that it was very clean and modern. The staff was very friendly and helpful

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room

The wifi. It might have just been the location of my room, but the wifi was inconsistent. Sometimes it worked, usually only on one device, but i had to rely on my data most of the time. During the day it would cut in and out, at night it would be a bit more stable, but again, this could just be the location of my room and not the fault of the hostel.

The bed/room was great, space was comfortable and relatively big, very clean. Check in and check out was easy. Loved the private bathrooms. Location was also good, very close to various public transport.

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room

The luggage storage is outside of the hostel and I consider it a minus.

I liked the place because has a good location, cleaner than I was expected. At night peace and quite and the staff was okay as well.

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room

BEDBUGS. WHAT THE F*** ?! How is thisplace still running with this problem running reoccurring over multiple floors and rooms?! 10 of my friends had to move out due to bedbug bites: they found them in their bed, on them and in their things- NOT COOL!

The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

I leave my stuff on my bed and the janitors took it. The reception personnel were indifirerent and never gave access to the lost and found stuff. Internet conexion very poor.

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room

The place was good, but there were no plugs for everybody in the room and the internet didn't work at all.

The place was well-located and the bedrooms were clean.

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

The kitchen was not very clean and it took a while to realize that we can take cups and other supplies from the desk for a deposit. Interned didn't work well (at least on the 5th floor)

I liked the location, the bed was comfortable, the bar inside the hostel is very comfortable, especially in the evening when I was too tired to go out after arrival.

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room

The bunk bed mat was not so good and narrow. Also one of the person in the room woke up at 5.30 am and made noise almost for 2 hours. There wasn't even some soap in the toilette and not so many plugs.

2 stations to the center and very close to the metro. You can buy a coffee from the reception. The people in reception speak In English and helpful.

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

wi-fi was poor but its nothing ) great hostel !!!!

Everything was perfect, location ,staff, beds, rooms and ones again staff. Love you guys, you are the best ❤️ Of course i will come back !

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room

What I DID NOT like: (i) the DIRTY KITCHEN, (ii) in the lounge, the CONSTANT UNPLEASANT MUSIC WITH THE DRUMBEAT WHICH POUNDED INTO ONE'S HEAD, SO MUCH SO AS TO GIVE ME A HEADACHE, , (iii) NO CHAIRS IN THE ROOM which makes it impossible to do any computer work in the room. So I had to go to the lounge, only to be disturbed by the horrible music

Elevator doesn't have going up button?! The light is pretty dark. Show room is not very practical.

Easy to access location. 24h reception. Big room.

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

There was a old man in my dorm room who was medically insane, he walked around room yelling to his self when he came in at 0200 and harass others. he had a lot of junk. Hostel should not let him live in shared room.

room and beds looked new and clean.

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

the noice from very impolite and drunk guests throughout the whole night. Other than that, all was fine.

The hospitality of the staff and the good beer in the bar

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room

1) No Wi-fi connection in the room while using lap-top. 2) Only 3 electric sockets in the room for 6 people.

The room is big and tidy, the good tip is the presence of a bathroom. Definitely the location of the hostel is perfect.

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Could have provided either towels OR soap. One of the two is always nice. Its an older spot so the rooms don't look super modern but it gets the job done. The tables in the room are a nice touch. Nice to not have to screw around with luggage on floor.

Bed was phenomenal. Didn't creak at all getting to top bunk. TONS of space in room. Like TONS. Access to heater and window. Bathroom private for your room, even the ones with 10+ people. Not bad, could get interesting if a lot of people need the toilet but there was no issue with our room. Staff was so great. Really easy place to stay. Right by ubahn station which was mere minutes from all the stuff you'd want to get to quick in Munich.

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Staff:they are standard just doing their job nothing friendly nor informative but if u ask they will answer unwillingly that make u google it as google seems better in anyway. Room:lighting is very deemed.no reading lamp,and not all bed have socket so u need to charge far from ur bed. In the room they have a resident stay in hostel,so they are not a traveler so environment is not good.plus this will come to security,like my worst experience one guy move my bags n all stuff from one bed to another bed cause he said it is his bed while the cleaner in the morning confirm to me i can use that bed,this is soo weird and stupid. Facility:kitchen is poor,nothing in it,u need to ask reception for plate spoon or glass,so incovenient. Bar:they are very tricky on thursday they have happy hours from 6to8pm.but the waiter is not around exactly on that time n when i ask reception he just said the waiter will come back without even check where is he.but the next day which is weekend n no happy hours the waiter always standby there.what a total joke So my summary : avoid to stay in this hostel at any cost if u have other option, couple of euros will save u from weird people around and better treatment from the staff.i eould never recommend this hostel to anyone ever.

Only shower have a good water pressure n temperature.location is okay but 2km away from marienplatz(main square) so quiete a walking distance.

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

The wifi connection is horrible and there is just one tiny kitchen for the whole hostel, that is quite big(many rooms).

The hostel has a nice living room.

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

I know this is a hostel. But this is not a place to rest. Never. I know there is no control if a crazy man uses the bed next to you, but the staff always knew about it and never did anything (Complaints by guests every time). It seemed to me that guy will stay by several months. Good luck if you are assigned to "his room".

Nop. Never again.

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room

To connect to the Internet I had to stay in coridor and there weren't any sockets near the bed so I even couldn't charge my phone safely.

Location and stuff were good

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

- No option for early check in - No WiFi during my whole stay the property stated it was a temporary issue and made it sound as if it had only just occurred but reading earlier reviews it appears this has been going on for around a month.

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Room wasn't clean. 2.00 am checking shouldn't be allowed. Weird, mafia looking people shouldn't allowed just for money, think about other guests. Liked if kitchen can hold more than 3 people at the same time.

Cheap. Bed was clean.

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room

It was my first experience of a shared dormitory and not one I will repeat. I think if you travel with friends this is a great place to stay but as a single business traveller I will, in future, choose a private room.

The bed linen was clean and the breakfast buffet had a great selection of teas and delicious honey, butter and jam.

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

the heater did not work- it was cold in the room, very little lounge space chairs or armchairs, nowhere to seat or do things other than at the entrance near reception, wifi was not working well, the kitchen had very few dishes.

metro station nearby, city centre (train station), shops, the common bathroom was clean and big, bed was comfortable, McDonalds open 24 hours nearby is good for the lounge space and Wifi as well as cheap coffee.

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Staff is not really welcoming Bathrooms are dirty due to lack of cleaners Shouldn't accept guests after midnight, at 2 am random people shouldn't come in to the room. Should be picky on guests, scary or old people should be allowed. Should supply locks, buying locks for couple days is not logical for everyone.

Cheap, like really cheap.

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

The bathroom and room were a little smelly and the Wi-Fi cut out a lot.

The staff was dedicated and helpful, and the bedding was clean and comfortable.

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room

There was no internet (WiFi) connection above the ground floor, which is not very nice...

The location is perfect, just in the center of the city, close to Metro and bus stations and the city attractions. The room and the bathroom were clean, as well as the common areas in the hostel. There are many shops, cafes nearby as well.

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room

There is nothing to leave the clothes on in the bathroom and I didn't get a free towel. There are no lockers in the rooms. The duvet was too warm.

I like that there are mirrors in each storey and I liked the lobby and the bar. The beds are comfortable.

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Was surprised that there was only one small kitchen for the whole place, with fairly basic facilities too. It didn't appear particularly clean either (and this was the sense I got from the bathrooms as well).

Bed was comfortable. Staff were welcoming, knowledgable.

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room

The mattress of the bed was old, and not very comfortable. Also the room doors are old, and very hard to close without making such a loud noise.

The stuff is really nice, they speak multiple languages. The hostel's location is excellent. Bathroom was nice, and clean. The bedsheets were clean, and fresh. Good experience.

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

the room does not have many plugs to charge. If you are lucky you find one next to your bed but a lot of bunks do not have a plug nearby. Also if you are in need of wifi, be aware that there is not wifi in every single room. There is one shower and one toilet which is in the same room. Not very helpful if you have chosen for a dorm with ~10 people and are in a rush the next day. Overall a good experience and I would recommend staying here if you are looking for a not super expensive place to stay in the city!

the location - not far from anything you would like to see and if you do not prefer to walk, there is a station nearby the staff - very friendly and always there to help you out with whatever you need lugagge storage - there is a luggage storage which is always positive. On the day of departure you can leave your stuff there as well. I would not recommend to put any valuables in the storage since it is a common room and the staff is not responsable for it. If you wanna leave valuable luggage behind, you can ask the staff to keep it safe behind the desk for you. lobby - the lobby has free wifi and plugs to charge your phone or anything you need to charge. room storage - you can put all your stuff under your bed so no one sees it directly in case you are having any valuables with you!

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

definitely not a fancy one. tiny elevator. no towel no slippers not even a bar of soap.

ok location. not central but 2 stops away. easily accessible. spacious. plenty room for storage and clothes.

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room

unfortunately, the toilet produces unpleasant smell even after washing and the plug points are limited.

the room was very spacious and the bed was comfy. the location was great as it is very near to the train station.

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Bland hotel with a bare minimum of amenities within the room. Shared kitchen was too small for more than two people to be in comfortably at the same time. Cleanliness within the room was good but the common areas were openly neglected for hours (overflowing trashcans in numerous places). It's a teenager hangout and a noisy night is guaranteed - with staff not bothering to intervene. Staff was unhelpful, uninterested and even outright hostile two of my three days there. Massive downturn to have stayed there and by far my worst experience with booking.com-partners in years.

It's well connected to the subway system and just a ten minute walk from one of the hip quarters of Munich.

• Quadruple Room

Very old renewal of the room and the bathroom. There are no towels, soap. It was very noisy outside and in next door rooms all the night.

Goog location (next to the main train station). Clean bed linen

The walls were so thin you could hear everyone. We heard people running around, banging on doors and yelling/screaming between 2am-5am every night.

• 6-Bed Room

The entire experience was a terribly bad way to end a most wonderful holiday in Italy and Germany. Didnt like staff, bad beds,faulty doors,police arriving and unclean!

The bed comfy - thats a joke. It was so thin, my poor husband thought he was sleeping on the planks! Put the directions " exit north side of munich hofbahnhof and take bus 58 to Goetheplatz" would have saved us a lot of wasted time and energy trailing all our luggage and three children! Prehaps answering the phone would help too.

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Wifi was not available at the room. There was not a plug for each bed, uncomfortable to charge my phone.

Location was so good. There were housekeeping service every day.

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room

Some people found bed bugs (although i didn't) in their bed and they even had pictures and the hostel didn't give them the money back ! What is THAT ! If someone don't want to stay give them their money people

For me it was nice and clean and ery nice hospitality .

Browse Smart Stay - Hostel Munich City traveller photo gallery