Reviews of Hotel Excelsior This is the official star rating given to the property by an independent third party - the Hotelstars Union. The property is compared to the industry standard and scored based on price, facilities and services offered. Use the star rating to help choose your stay!

Mannheimer Str. 7-9, Gutleutviertel, 60329 Frankfurt/Main, Germany

#126 of 221 hotels in Frankfurt/Main

Will not visit again,, lift is v slow,

No air-conditioned in the hotel,, I was first given a smoking room, when I complained I was given a v small room near the staircase which was v much aloof on the floor for 2 ladies,,, I told the staff to Pls give me my money back n let me go,,, after a while he came and told me that we are having only 1 room with front view n air-conditioned, so Pls shift there...!!

Breakfast is d same everyday n OK,,,

Good Hotel in Frankfurt Main Station

Room no air condition so it will be a bit hot in summer season.

Location is just infront of Frankfurt Main Station. Easy to go to anywhere. Breakfast is good. Hotel provide mini bar with plenty of drinks and it is Free. Also has mini bar in lobby and it is free.

Not recommended - poor experience for a high price
    • Quadruple Room

Room too hot and no air con (but 2 fans provided) Children's bunk bed broken and didn't feel secure Close to train station but area didn't feel safe even in daylight Found a couple of live bugs in the bed Booking.com rating of 3.3 over inflated and i can't adjust. Would give 2/5 at best

On site parking Friendly staff Free cold drinks in mini bar

Great value for money

We asked for a double bed and got two singles

The amazing breakfast selection, clean rooms, free mini bar and the close proximity to the railway station

Breakfast was fantastic with lots of choice.

We stayed here due to its direct access to Frankfurt Hbf. Hotel and room were clean and functional, however fairly small and noisy as we were on the front facing the street. We needed to keep the window open due to no A/C and the street noise (trams and people) were loud until very late. The benefit of having the station directly over the road outweighed the noise.Room facing the street very noisy at night.

Breakfast was fantastic with lots of choice.

FREE MINI BAR in the room's refrigerator and robby.

Early checkin is possible but you must pay 10 euro.

FREE MINI BAR in the room's refrigerator and robby. very clean room. place(near the frankfurt hbf).

Great location and excellent level of cleanliness.

The hotel is in need of a much needed remodeling. Even though the room and bathroom was spotless clean, the door frames were cracking, some paint in the bathroom was peeling. The tile was discolored. Granted that these facts are so non an issue, one tends to expect a certain level of updated decor that goes hand in hand with the cleanliness of the room. Over all, I can't complain and I will not give a bad mark to this property because of the level of cleanliness, which was satisfactory to the most demanding traveler. Originally I was given a single room and I wasn't aware that this room had no air conditioning. The staff was accommodating when I requested a room with air conditioning. I was charged extra but I was well worth it. It was a nominal charge at best, nothing alarming.

I liked the location of the Excelsior. I liked that the FRONT DESK staff were efficient, friendly and accommodating to guests needs. I liked my air conditioning and it was well worth the nominal charge. I liked the fact that my room was clean and free of any unwarranted smells. Overall, I would come back to this property if I had to do it again. I will also recommend it to my relatives and friends.

It was only 5 mins from Frankfurt railway station.

No air con

It was only 5 mins from Frankfurt railway station. The staff were friendly and helpful. The wifi worked well. The room was clean and tidy. Free drinks were available from the minibar.

Terrible hotel and nightmarish customer service, don't waste your money

Please be aware THERE IS NO AC, just a very old fan that blows the hot air around at night ... we were put on the 5th floor [I am 30 weeks pregnant] and the elevators take FOREVER to get to you. Also, I had requested extra pillows in a message, again because I'm pregnant, zero response whatsoever. No pillows. Staff is incredibly rude and condescending in person and over the phone. I have been told that this is just the German "personality", I don't think that's doing the country or hotel any service by saying they lack customer service skills. There is complimentary drinks in the hotel fridge.... unless you like your drinks lukewarm, don't bother. The fridge barely works.

Location was prime--taxi, tram, train and bus are literally outside the front door. Getting the room cleaned daily was also nice but that's where the good stuff ends.

Great location for our quick stay- before our flight home.

There is no air conditioning so the whole hotel was hot! We didn't get a chance to ask for a fan so our room was unbearable hot and we didn't want the windows open the whole way as we were on the first floor. We noticed the other rooms had fans- so we should have asked!

It is in an excellent location if you're not staying in Frankfurt long, right near the train station! Staff were very helpful and breakfast was good value for money!

Location perfect for short overnight stay in proximity of...

Room was hot, difficult to sleep, not very sound proof, area is a bit dodgy

Location perfect for short overnight stay in proximity of main train station. Friendly check-in staff and free coffee, fruits, cake and mini bar.

Comfortable stay in convenient location :)

Room was very warm, the fan helped, but aircon would have been better. Directions to the hotel were very confusing from website. It is actually so easy to find, right next to the Hauptbahnhof.

The staff was great, friendly and helpful. Breakfast was wonderful. Public transport was very close by.

Economical choice near the train station

Room was very small and dated. Also needs a fan or air conditioning

Free mini-bar and the location in close proximity to the train station, which suited my needs but may not to be everyone's liking as some may view that area to be a bit rough around the edges

Our quad room was a king bed with a set of bunk beds - great...
    • Quadruple Room

It's across the street from the main train station - so it's loud. And if it's hot - your only option is to open the door to the balcony.

Our quad room was a king bed with a set of bunk beds - great for family! Mini bar refreshments were included, and there was water / fruit in the lobby upon our arrival - very nice.

The breakfast was very good, location location.
    • Quadruple Room

The bathroom is extra small and had a leaking. Needs an updating in general, it is too too old.

The breakfast was very good, location location. The minibar is free. Good wifi.

We are very satisfied with your services.

The staffs were friendly and it's valued for additional services (free drinks from minibar, free local phone calls, free coffee, tea, mineral water, fruits and cakes during day in the lobby, free ironing service)

Highly recommended

Comfortable neat rooms. Hotel is situated across from the main train station, which is very convenient for travel purposes. The hotel staff are very friendly and helpful. Delicious breakfast.

Super convenient hotel that does the job.
    • Quadruple Room

not the quietest location since across from the train station

located directly across from main train station, super convenient. Wlking distance to river, Romer, and Palmengarten . Good breakfast, runs 530-11.

nicely located hotel

Comfortable bed. Quite and clean rooms. Pedestal fan was very helpful during summer. It is advisable to have breakfast before 8am;otherwise getting a lift to ground floor is a problem.

Better than expected

The hotel was 3star as advertised. Clean room and very quiet. Much better than other so called 3star hotels I've stayed in. Proximity to the train station is great.

Free mini bar on a hot day was very conveniant.

Free mini bar on a hot day was very conveniant. Thank you. Negative: one of the straff (female) who answered quite rudely to my question on the weather forecast.

The location of the hotel is great.

The room looks very bad, the furniture is old and damaged. The bathroom is in terrible condition. Everything needs to be renovated.

The location of the hotel is great. The possibility of parking a car to a hotel garage is a good thing. The breakfast was good, staff friendly.

Pleasant and cheap accommodation, I'll return to this hotel

No air conditioning, slow elevator, breakfast not included, tourist tax (but it isn't depending on the hotel)

Central location, near all public transports, free mini bar, free snack in the hall, friendly staff

bad experience

everything was below standard,bad experience, no air condition, key card was not working, small and slow elevator, very old furniture, small room. (I found a big insect running in my room)

I would not recommed this hotel. Poor conditions and way over priced.

This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. No air-conditioning . The beds in the room were like camping beds. The window of the room opened onto a flat roof which was infested with pigeons so the window could not be opened.

NOTHING.

value for your money

the rooms were not ready and we reached at 10.00 pm in the night for check in

excellent location right on the main train station. very clean and nice rooms at the price. excellent breakfast. and very helpful staff.

The rooms are pretty small with the very very small showers.

Staff service could be better.

The rooms are pretty small with the very very small showers. Hardly could move in there... though very clean. Had stayed for 4 nights and there was a problem with the flushing system in the toilet... complsined every day in the morning... but every evening found it not attended to. As the help staff comes in morning... then complsin once again when u leave for ur day out and still find it not resolved... staff is ok ok.

Breakfast was fantastic!
    • Business Single Room

It was pretty noisy even I the room with Windows facing the backyard. I really missed the air condition!

Breakfast was fantastic! They even serve soup! Plus free drinks from the mini bar are great addition!

The Sweat Box Hotel
    • Quadruple Room

Check in was poor as the staff sent us to the wrong room. We turned up to a room which was already occupied which was awkward. There's only one elevator for the whole hotel and it was terribly slow. Our room had no veniltation and was incredibly hot which made it almost impossible to sleep. No airconditioning so we had to ask for a fan to be brought up which still didnt make much difference. Even with our door open, we were still uncomfortable. The windows also didnt open, so air flow was minimal. The mini bar wasnt turned on so our complimentary drinks were warm. Bathroom was extremely small and the door didnt close properly. There were also dirty dishes and food scraps left on the floor in the stairwell! I have no idea why someone would leave them there, however they were left there the whole time during our stay.

Location was convenient to and from the bus depot. Good irish pub close by

Staff were rude

Bathroom door wouldn’t close, lady on reception was very rude, bad attitude and very unhelpful. Opposite train station but not the nicest area.

Comfy bed

happy and comfortable stay.

I have been given a much smaller room with no WiFi excess when we first checked in, the room is in the corner, it is dark, hot and the furniture is very old. Anyway it was so much different with the photo online when I booked the room. We nearly cried when we saw that room, we thought we have been cheated! But they have changed to a much better room when we ask to fix the WiFi for us at the same day. So don't know why the two rooms are same price with so much different standard.

Perfect location, right next to the central station, we have walked to all the attractions every day easily. The room is very clean, comfortable, plenty drinks free of charge! (water, soft juice, beer) Excellent breakfast, so many choices and nutrition balanced. Staff are very helpful, check in and out are very easy and quickly done. The free tea and cake table in the reception area are really welcome. There are plenty coffee and restaurants near by and in central station as well. There are also different shops near by, food stores and souvenir stores as well.

nothing , it is unacettable that in this century we have to...

see previous comment

nothing , it is unacettable that in this century we have to cope with rated hotels without air conditioning and visible cables on corridors

Terrible at best.

The rude girl on reception that wouldn't believe me the key to luggage room didnt work. The guy that took payment that had no manners. The request to pay more than agreed price. The dirty room. The tiny bathroom. The lack of daylight. Just about everything.

The location. Nothing else.

avoid

Checking took almost 20 minutes (at midnight). The room looked ran down. Shower was broken. I couldn't make it produce cold water, only hot or very warm. No AC which and it was very stuffy although it was +18 outside. Worst experience (and I've seen many places)

Location. Breakfast was also good

Very Close to Frankfurt HBF

No air cond, fan is provided but not quite enough. Room a bit dated.

Very close to Frankfurt HBF station (just cross the street on the east exit). Complimentary mini bar (good selection).

Great value for money

The room was small.

1. The location was great (3 min walk from the Hbf) 2. The staff was friendly and helpful 3. Free minibar was wonderful and there was water, cakes and fruit at the reception hall 4. Rich breakfast 5. Great value for money

Just for one night I stayed If it was more I would have change hotel

Price and room too hot

Room very hot No breakfast included like before reception no dry friendly like before I have stayed in this hotel for many year but this was the last time

excelent location friendly staff

Room is not so big but its not a big issue.the mattress was not so good.

excelent location. breakfast was great. staff was friendly free coffee tea and cake in the lobby.

See comments above

Very clean comfortable rooms. Generous supply of free drinks in mini bar, excellent breakfast, phone for making and receiving international calls, very convenient location at Hauptbahnhof.

Well located tourist city-hotel

Parking garage very steep, low and narrow No air conditioning No air circulation in the bathroom

Centrally located English speaking staff Minibar included

Value for money.

Only one thing that i didn't liked was that the bathrooms are very small in double room . Other than that everything is just fine.

Excellent location. Walk able distance from main station . Breakfast is excellent . Staff is friendly.

Great one night stop.
    • Quadruple Room

Shower had little pressure and kind of noisy, since it was right by the train station. Parking lot was a true European treat..very small and tight.

Close to everything. Refrigerator was full of drinks and they were complimentary.

Great value hotel.

Great value hotel. Some rooms are a little old but the staff are very friendly, the breakfast from 5 to 11 excellent and overall it is perfect if you are not looking for anything fancy.

Poor Handling of Temporary Storage for Luggage

We do not like about how the luggage are temporarily stored in the luggage room. Practically, anyone can access to it and there is no security at all

Free minibar which all the beverage in the bar fridge is free and refill everyday. Good location for transit or stopover, not much for explore as this is a business city. The hotel just right opposite the central station.

Quite satisfied

The smoking smell from other rooms and from outside used to enter the room even though doors and windows were closed sometimes. This was quite difficult to me.

Nice location and quick access to the transports. Good Bed...didn't like getting up :)...Good breakfast... even had indian samosas and rice, roti and noodles... i mean that is exceeding my expectations in a German hotel :)... cozy rooms for 1 person... clean and tidy... most of all, free minibar and wifi :)...what else can you ask for.

Very good for train connections

The water pressure was very poor sometimes ( at 7 floor). No AC in the room (can be a problem in summer).

Very good breakfast, clean and confortable room, free minibar. Situated nearby the train station.

Convenient location .

Lift stoppages on each floor unnecessary. No electric kettle service in room for tea coffee.

Convenient location . Free mini bar Good staff . Clean linen .

Terrible

the property is old!!! My room was located at the very end of a corridor after the fire doors & at the top of the fire escape...!!!!!!!!!! It was extremely noisy & all of the hotel smelt of cigarette smoke. Not once was I able to take the lift as never seemed to work. It was a terrible stay & I did not get 1 good night's sleep. Even the free minibar was not enough to help me sleep!!!

The staff was friedly & helpful & the free minibar.

Nothing nothing
    • Business Double Room

Very bad hotel and the staff are not honest. Have requested a smoking room which was not delivered because of the liar Japanese receptionist whom advised that my room category were all no smoking Room too warm with no air conditioning again asking the liar I was told there is no rooms with air-condition at the hotel. Next morning was told there are rooms and if I need them I do have to pay a supplement It’s advertised there is free ironing service which is not true as per the Japanese receptionist Very bad housekeeping and some times they take the old towels and don’t get a replacement including the floor mate Bed sheet and the pillows cover was not changed during my stay of 4 nights.

Nothing nothing

Great location, great breakfast.

There is now an early check-in fee. The room is there, and I paid for it already, why should there be a fee?

Great location. The room I stayed this time looks to be somewhat renovated recently, at least the bathroom is.

Light bulb didn't work, Sink plumbing didn't work, and Wi-fi was horrendous. Otherwise good.

Wi-Fi barely worked, and come 8 p.m. It was too slow to open Google in under 2 minutes. We had a Lamp that didn't work, and the sink drain was closed and wouldn't open because the handle in the back was broken, and it was stuck so you couldn't pry it open. I requested repairs, the lamp bulb was not changed at all, I had to take a bulb from another lamp, and someone came and slightly pried open the drain with a screwdriver, but only slightly, so the sink still filled up with water and drained very very slowly.

It was clean, Staff was really friendly and professional, good value for money, and a good breakfast buffet. And I am always a fan of the minibar.

perfect for short stay

The pillow doesn't really fit me. The room is a bit warm if the window is completely closed but it's also a bit noisy if the window is open.

Very convenient location. Free minibar. Breakfast is nice with several choices. There're a bath tub and fan. There're also quite some shops in the Hbf open until late.

Highly recommended.

Larger room as it was very small but didn't detract from our enjoyable stay.

There certainly no where we have found previously that can compere in value for money. Already a great price with extra benefits such as free safe complementary minibar and tea and coffee on tap all afternoon. Friendly staff. Enjoyed our stay.

Surprisingly good next to the main station

Next to the station for the price paid I did not expect too much. However my room, although not so big, had all I needed. There was a desk, good WiFi, tv with many channels and free drinks from the mini bar! High class breakfast every day from 5, with lots of choices, white tablecloths and elegantly dressed waiters.

Breakfast was good, they also offered gluten-free bread

Room was not properly clean, the claning service would not pick up the trash and there were stains on the floor Staff was rude, when asked if we could leave our luggage there they said they are not responsible of what could happen to it Wifi was weak and unstable, really bad if you need to work

Breakfast was good, they also offered gluten-free bread

restful.

The traffic noise when on room balcony. The view of railway station and busy road. Traffic fumes. The room was not pretty or special in any way . Standard hotel room . The toilet had a strange smell of drains as if the city drain smell was seeping into bathroom. This was only when had nose down toilet which do not do. Toilet clean.

staff not stuck up.breakfast selection good. Room compact with powerful shower. Noise from busy road outside room not a problem for sleep. Not a pretty hotel and in very busy location opposite main train station. What did i like. The hotel did the job well.A one night stop was restful.Location ideal as used rail to get to city. Used hairdryer. Watched tele and easy to switch on which is all i did . watched the chase (game show) in german.

Location is central but if you are a hen party do not go here! Men are really misogynistic.

Cockroaches in the room I only saw them the morning I was checking out - I felt sick If that hadn’t happened I could overlook att the other unsatisfactory things. It took ages to get a proper hairdryer the one attached to the wall did not work Our mini bar wasn’t restocked in one of the days it took 4 phone calls to get someone up We had dinner in the restaurant the food was nice but extremely slow and when I phone that a party member had a gluten intolerance there was only one thing available for them to eat and as a dessert they were given “jelly” this was in fact the fruit coulee that was used to decorate everyone else’s desserts.

Mini bar was nice I did like that to be fair Free tea and fruit during the day I thought that seemed nice at the time

Hotel was very central across from the station and near the...

Hotel was very central across from the station and near the bus drop off from the airport great value for money free mini bar stocked everyday and free teas coffees and snacks in reception

Recommended !!

The property is very conveniently located next to hauptbahnhof and has a lot of local tours also starting from nearby hotels. The staff was very courteous and professional. Highly recommended.

A must stay hotel in Frankfurt . We will always book this hotel in advance whenever we will visit .

NO NEGATIVE REMARKS.

Location , Cleanliness , Room & Bathroom , Housekeeping , front desk staff & best part was many free variety of drinking items were available in the room fridge.

Good for a short break.

Bathroom was small and could do with updating. Shower over the bath was ok but not everyone can manage this.

Clean rooms, including clean towels and bedding. Great breakfast and free little mini bar, mainly with soft drinks and beer. Free afternoon cake and refreshments, such as tea, coffee and juice in the foyer. Checking in time and checking out time at 12 o'clock is a bonus. Central location across the road from the train station's South exit.

Food available all day for free, minibar drinks free

Some externalised staff member irrupted into my room with me inside. Reception said they were going to solve this.

Food available all day for free, minibar drinks free

Not good. Expect “unexpected”.

Absolute pathetic process of room allocation and luggage handling. They could not trace our 5 bags for more than 2 hours which were kept in room, when they re allocated our rooms which is not acceptable. Not so good quality of furniture’s for a 3 star hotel. Inconsistent room configuration.

Proximity to station and breakfast

Perfect hotel for a short stay in the centre of the city.

Very centrally located hotel, directly beside the main train station, superb breakfast served from 5 a.m. to 11 a.m., free mini bar and phone calls throughout Germany, free coffee/tea and cake in the afternoon, very reasonable rate. Rooms are small but perfectly ok for a short stay. Due to all what is included in the rate this hotel surely must be unique.

Nice hotel across Frankfurt train station.
    • Business Double Room

Requested an early checkin on phone and they agreed. On reaching they charged extra. This should have been communicated on phone itself...

Free mini bar. Location cannot be beaten.

Dont recommend for leisure visits

asked for a crib and a quiet room and got exactly the opposite: kid had to sleep with us and had the room turned to the station. Staff was completely clueless, messing up most of our friends reservations. The bathrooms were small with no toiletries.

The mini bar was included and the drinks were refilled

Excellent if you are just in transit or you are looking just a place to sleep!
    • Quadruple Room

The street noisy is quiet unpleasant.

The location, exactly in front of south exit of central rail station, but also close to the river promenade and enough close to the center, museums area.

Very nice and helpful staff.

We must remember, this hotel is in a city center, near a noisy streets and area. Staff is very helpful if you need silent room in a back of an hotel.

Very nice and helpful staff. Rich breakfast with lots of hot dishes such as curry, broth or noodles with vegetables. Very comfortable beds in a large room. The full minibar for free is a hit!

Next time a room away from the street.

Our room was above the taxi stand the drivers stood outside of taxis talking laughing and smoking heavily all of which came in our window until past 3 am.

Very nice breakfast something for every culture.

The reception staff were friendly and accommodating.

One of the blankets had what appeared to be a small blood stain spot. Also, the holder for the shower head was broken and drainage was slow. When we requested for a room change, the maintenance staff who came up to have a look at the problem kept insisting that it was okay during the morning. Luckily the reception staff were still happy to change the room for us.

The reception staff were friendly and accommodating. Loved the breakfast spread too!

Complimentory cases and tea/coffee in lobby, also fruit...

Complimentory cases and tea/coffee in lobby, also fruit and juices. Minibar included as well as internet. Great breakfast buffet with all the normal things you would expect but in addition Samosas and fried noodles! Great!

Great location to Frankfurt Train Station with good breakfast.
    • Quadruple Room

Food is good and tasty but lack of variety from day to day for travellers who stay longer.

The location is great. Cleanliness up to par. Free Mini bar is a great bonus.

Couldn't be better travelling by train, hotel opposite the train station. Loved the free mini bar.

The lift is very slow, I found it just as quick walking up the 7 flights I got there just as quick as my husband using the lift.

Excellent selection of food for breakfast, but no croissants, would have loved croissants, asked for them but the waitress said they have them in the other restaurant, not this one.

Free minibar!

I rarely evaluate a hotel with such enthusiasm, but this time it was indeed unexpectedly good. For less than 50 euro per night - free minibar (a new concept for me!), free coffee and tee - a clean and perfectly located property.

Good value since hotel is reasonably priced.

No double room available for our first night even though we had booked it weeks in advance. Second day we moved to 418 with double bed and loved balcony/view over train station-- great for people watching. Shower curtain was too small so water ended spraying all over. Also both sink and shower drains worked poorly so shower wood almost overflow, even with a very quick shower. Dissapointed to not have pastries on breakfast buffet when there are such wonderful options around. The other offerings were OK, but nothing outstanding.

Location outside the train station was great.

Browse Hotel Excelsior traveller photo gallery